What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2011 Top 15 Prospects (1 Viewer)

Does anyone else think the Colts will draft one of the top WRs in next year's draft? Seems to me that only Reggie Wayne is a top end WR #1 and he's aging. They could sure use one of AJ Green, Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, or Michael Floyd. I doubt they would draft Baldwin because of his off the field issues, but based on talent he's probably the 2nd best WR in this draft. Green will likely go top 15 so he's out of the discussion also. However, I could see Floyd or Jones dropping to the Colts.
Id put Blackmon in that group as well.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts...fense-1144.html

A scout’s take on the good, the bad and the ugly from the tenth week of the college football season concerning some of the nation’s top prospects.

I’m slowly warming up to him

Coming into the season I was less than impressed with the play of Florida offensive lineman Marcus Gilbert and was even more confused due to the fact that in some draft circles he was ranked as one of the top offensive tackles in the nation. However, after watching him a number of times this year, I still don’t think he’s an NFL-caliber left tackle, but he showcases good enough power, balance and fluidity in my opinion to hold his own on the right side of an NFL offensive line. He possesses a thick lower half, has a good first step off the football, keeps his base down through contact and knows how to extend his arms under the pad level of defenders and drive his man off the snap. Plus, he showcases good balance not only through the play in the run game, but when asked to redirect and quickly pick up a free man at the second level. As for the pass game, he isn’t overly rangy off the edge and will get caught having to open up his hips and lunge into blocks toward the corner. However, he displays good body control and can regain his balance quickly. Is a physical, coordinated puncher and does a nice job anchoring at the point and moving his feet through contact. Overall, he’s not in the same class as some of the other top offensive tackle prospects, but this guy definitely has the ability to mature into a potential starting right tackle at the next level.

A tale of three junior wideouts

Damaris Johnson: Tulsa (5-8, 170)

Sure the kid is undersized, but when asked to describe him as a prospect the words “dynamic playmaker” quickly pop into my head. Johnson currently leads the Tulsa offense in receiving yards, is second in rushing and is an absolute threat anytime he gets his hands on the football. He’s sudden, shifty and possesses electric lateral ability with the feel and first step to find a seam and quickly explode into daylight. Plus, he showcases good balance as a route runner as well, cleanly and sharply getting in and out of his breaks, setting up his routes and is real tough to cover from the slot. He does need to add some weight, as the guy possesses a thin overall frame. But there aren’t too many players out there with his kind of “make you miss ability” as he has the talent to fill a void in a number of spots on an NFL offense and as a return man as a potential dynamic option.

Torrey Smith: Maryland (6-1, 200)

If it was athletic ability and straight-line speed alone that made you a good wideout, Maryland’s Torrey Smith would be near the top of any list. However, despite his great initial burst and vertical speed down the field, he still has a long way to go. Smith struggles as a route runner to cleanly change directions and quickly get out of his breaks, chopping his feet in order to gear down and regain balance before making his cut and working his way back toward the football. Plus, he isn’t a real natural plucker, seems to often fight the football into his body and overall lacks ideal body control when asked to quickly regain balance and adjust to the play. Overall, the skill set is there for this guy to make big vertical plays at the next level, but he still has a ways to go if he ever hopes to be more than just a gifted athlete trying to run away from defenders at the next level.

Julio Jones: Alabama (6-4, 220)

Don’t close the case just yet on the nation’s top wide receiver prospect, as Alabama’s Julio Jones — who has been brilliant for most of the year — had one of his signature games this weekend vs. who many suspect to be the top cornerback drafted come April in LSU’s Patrick Peterson. Jones was singled up for most of the day with Peterson and finished the game with 10 catches for 89 yards and a touchdown and seemed to really keep his focus and concentration throughout, one of the biggest questions I had about his game coming in.

Watching Jones last season he looked a bit too bulky for his own good, losing some of the impressive explosion and fluidity he displayed for such a big guy as a freshman. However, he looks a little leaner this year, which has really helped his play dramatically in the process in my opinion. He’s not only doing a much better job cleanly changing directions and accelerating out of his breaks in order to gain separation on sharply breaking routes, but his overall feel as a route runner has really improved. He’s doing a much better job changing gears in order to set up routes, which allows him to consistently gain a step and then use his big, long frame to adjust to the football. He showcased great body control and focus on one back shoulder throw Saturday and at times is simply too good, making a play on the football even when covered up. Now, I am not going to say that Jones is hands down the better prospect over A.J. Green, but he does add more of a physical element compared to Green and depending on what your flavor is, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to hear some teams liking Jones a bit more that Green come draft day.

TCU/Utah Snippets…

A lot of impressive talent was on display in the TCU/Utah matchup this weekend and here are just some initial impressions of the top prospects from the offensive side of the ball on each side.

TCU

OL Marcus Cannon (6-6, 358)

A massive, thickly built athlete who is strong through his upper and lower half. Possesses a good first step off the football for his size and can consistently seal on the edge or create a significant push in the run game. Displays above-average range for his size in the pass game, but I still don’t think he’s rangy enough to play left tackle in the NFL. Gets sloppy with his footwork trying to reach the corner, but my biggest concern was his inability to get of the snap count on time for the most part of the game, allowing defenders to often get in and under his frame off the snap.

QB Andy Dalton (6-3, 220)

Possesses a cool/calm demeanor, the game never seemed to be too big for him as he was always in control. Showcased good zip on some big NFL-caliber throws, tossing the deep out from the opposite hash with plenty of zip. Generates good torque from his lower half and when he has time to set his feet and step into a throw. Did a nice job a couple times working his progressions across the field and cleanly re-setting his footwork with the target, but doesn’t consistently maintain his balance and transfer his weight as well from his back foot, which causes him to not get as much zip on the football on some deeper throws. Is a good enough athlete to buy time and keep plays alive, but occasionally can be slower to decipher information. Will hold onto the ball too long at times and I wish his mental clock would go off a bit sooner. His accuracy overall is solid, but his ball placement at times keeps him from completing passes on all levels of the field. Displayed nice touch down the field, both from the pocket and on the move, and overall didn’t force many throws and took better care of the football, which was one of the bigger questions I had about his game earlier in the year.

WR Jeremy Kerley (5-10, 192)

Lacks great height, but possesses decent overall muscle tone and girth through his frame. Isn’t asked to run many/any NFL caliber routes and does most of his work in the screen game. However, he’s a natural plucker and is savvy and creative after the catch. Possesses the type of body control and short-area quickness to not only make a man miss, but also can mature into a good route runner from the slot with some time to learn the trade. Will likely need a bit more time to develop than some of the other undersized slot guys in this year’s draft because of his limited route-running repertoire. But, he’s the kind of guy who can create with the ball in his hands and he can also help out in the return game as well. A nice luxury pick.

Utah

OC Zane Taylor (6-2, 309)

He’s a strong, natural bender who does a nice job quickly extending his arms/hands off the snap and getting into his opponents frame quickly. Lacks great lateral quickness when asked to snap and set and will struggle at times to reach defenders shooting off his frame. However, he possesses good lower body strength when asked to sit into his stance and anchor, displays good lateral agility and balance when asked to stick to blocks through the play. Looks like one of the better centers in this year’s class.

Don’t sleep on him

Finally, it’s time to give some props to Alabama QB Greg McElroy. The guy has been known throughout college football as simply a game manager. However, if you really evaluate this guy with an open mind, he’s much more than that. McElroy does two things as good as any quarterback prospect in the nation.

1. He throws a really accurate football on all levels of the field and it’s his ball location that really makes him tough to defend.

2. The guy has a great feel for deciphering information quickly, finding his secondary options and delivering the ball on time in the face of pressure.

Now, he lacks a great arm — which will improve a bit in the NFL — and he needs to become content throwing the ball away and not take so many sacks. However, I feel like McElroy has just been written off as a quarterback prospect before the year ever even started and if you look over the entire senior quarterback class, outside of Jake Locker, I think he stacks up quite well with the best of them.

NFL draft/college football questions? Get them answered at Wes.Bunting@nationalfootballpost.com

ETA: I agree with the McElroy comments here, no one talks about him yet he produces every time he gets on the field. This guys doesn't get enough credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-...-tackle-drafted

Draft Dish: Hurricanes' Franklin could be first tackle drafted

Russ Lande

Sporting News

1. Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami (Fla.)

Franklin is a top-line athlete but a bit of a raw prospect, but he has consistently improved every year and now projects as a high second-round pick who could sneak into the first round. He still must get stronger, but he is much better about maintaining his balance and playing under control to easily handle speed rushers and adjust quickly secondary pass-rush moves. He shows the ability to block effectively in the open field, especially adept at pulling to lead perimeter runs.

Franklin has improved a ton in '10 and with a great week of work at the Senior Bowl will continue his ascent up draft boards and perhaps become one of, if not the, first offensive tackle selected.

2. Jonas Mouton, OLB, Michigan

Mouton is an athletic player who has moved up draft boards a lot thanks to improved production in '10. He had flashed big-play ability in the past but had struggled to consistently produce at a high level because he struggled at times to read plays correctly and react quickly. He also often would over-run plays. The light seems to have gone on in his senior year — he's much quicker in reading plays and reacting and thus far more productive.

With strong performances at the NFL Scouting Combine and in pre-draft workouts, he could move into the middle of the second round.

3. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson (junior)

We always thought of Bowers as a top-flight prospect, but until this year few talent evaluators agreed. The naysayers said he didn't dominate enough and lacked consistency as a pass rusher and thus pegged him as a third-round prospect.

This season, Bowers has eliminated all doubt. He has been a dominant player in '10, and there now is near-universal belief that he is the top defensive lineman in the '11 draft and a likely top-10 pick. Few ends can match Bowers' size, explosive power, quick hands and footwork, athleticism and pass-rush skills.

On the decline

1. Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU (junior)

Sheppard entered the '10 season viewed as one of the best linebackers in the country, but NFL scouts who have broken down LSU game films and witnessed practices have been disappointed with him. He is quick and athletic and can chase down ballcarriers, and he is smooth and fluid in pass coverage. The issue is his lack of instincts -- he often is a beat late reading plays and reacting. He is athletic and fast enough to overcome late starts in college, but NFL linebackers who lack good instincts usually fail.

Sheppard still could get drafted high because he is sure to stand out as a workout wonder at the Combine, but his on-field play merits only a fourth- or fifth-round pick.

2. Cliff Matthews, DE, South Carolina

Matthews is a well built end with good quickness and athleticism. He flashed big-play ability as a junior, but his play has not improved at all this season. He remains inconsistent because of a lack of intensity. He rarely attacks blockers or use his hands aggressively to stay free.

Matthews is a much better athlete than football player and could well go undrafted despite having the talent to be a third-round pick.

3. Adrian Taylor, DT, Oklahoma

Taylor flashed explosive initial quickness, hand usage and strength to be a disruptive force last year but has struggled to produce in '10. He has struggled to play with good leverage and technique this year, allowing blockers to get a hold and eliminate him.

Taylor does have the natural talent to finish strong this season and perform well in pre-draft workouts to move back up draft boards. That seems unlikely, though, and thus he deserves to be a fifth- or sixth-round pick.

War Room Scouts’ mock draft

Selection order based on records as of Nov. 8. * — underclassman

1. Buffalo Bills—Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford

2. Dallas Cowboys—Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal

3. Carolina Panthers—Jake Locker, QB, Washington

4. San Francisco 49ers—Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

5. Detroit Lions—Patrick Peterson*, CB, LSU

6. Denver Broncos—Da'Quan Bowers*, DE, Clemson

7. Cincinnati Bengals—Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

8. Arizona Cardinals—Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas

9. Minnesota Vikings—Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

10. Cleveland Browns—A.J. Green*, WR, Georgia

11. San Diego Chargers—Robert Quinn*, OLB, North Carolina

12. Seattle Seahawks—Jonathan Baldwin*, WR, Pitt

13. Houston Texans—Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

14. Jacksonville Jaguars—Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

15. Miami Dolphins—Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State

16. Washington Redskins—Michael Floyd*, WR, Notre Dame

17. New England Patriots (from Oakland)—Akeem Ayers*, OLB, UCLA

18. Chicago Bears—Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers—Ryan Williams*, RB, Virginia Tech

20. Indianapolis Colts—Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami (Fla.)

21. St. Louis Rams—Julio Jones*, WR, Alabama

22. Kansas City Chiefs—Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

23. Philadelphia Eagles—Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

24. Tennessee Titans—Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy

25. New Orleans Saints—Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

26. Green Bay Packers—Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston Colled

27. New York Jets—DeMarcus Love, OT, Arkansas

28. New England Patriots—Mark Ingram*, RB, Alabama

29. Pittsburgh Steelers—Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

30. Atlanta Falcons—Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt

31. New York Giants—Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina

32. Baltimore Ravens—Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina

Much more here:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/north-caro...b-ryan-williams

RB RYAN WILLIAMS

ON WHETHER HE HAD ANY ISSUES WITH HIS HAMSTRING AGAINST GT: “It felt good. I didn’t feel it all game. I don’t know whether it was the adrenaline pumping, if it was all the Gatorade Fuels I drank. I don’t know what it was, but I didn’t feel anything. I didn’t feel it after the game, but I feel it now. Gotta loosen it up throughout the weeks.”

ON HOW MANY PLAYS HE WAS IN THE GAME DURING THE SECOND HALF: “I want to say four or five.”

ON HOW THAT WAS DIVIDED UP: “The rotation started with Darren because, with me being hurt, he got bumped to the front. That’s a given. It was Darren, me, then David. Then it continued that way. Then I started off the second half and that was the last of me being out there.”

ON WHY HE DIDN’T PLAY MORE IN THE SECOND HALF: “It was a misunderstanding. I know that the rotation is Darren, me, then David. But with the second half, I started off, then it was Darren and David. Then it went back to Darren and David.”

ON WHETHER HE WAS DISAPPOINTED HE DIDN’T PLAY MORE: “Disappointed? No. I was just happy that I played and I showed that, even though I don’t feel 100 percent, I was able to help the team score and drive down the field. I think my drive was like 77 yards or something like that. I just wanted to come back and play and contribute to the team’s success again. But disappointed? I wouldn’t say disappointed. It’s just like I wanted to be out there. No disappointment. I was happy we won, we’re still No. 1 in the ACC. I just wanted to be out there.”

ON HOW BAD HE WANTS TO PLAY AGAINST UNC AFTER FUMBLING AGAINST THEM LATE IN LAST YEAR’S GAME: “I want to play a bunch in every game. Last year, costly fumble. It’s not like I’m going out like, ‘Oh, I’ve got to kill these guys.’ Because if I go out focused more about what I want to do to them, I might fumble again. I don’t want that happening. So I’m going to go out with the same mentality, to do my part and help my team win.”

ON UNDERSTANDING THE ROTATION, SINCE ALL THREE BACKS HAVE DONE WELL: “We all can contribute in different ways. Darren is our bruiser. David is our speed guy. And I guess my biggest strength is my vision. So we all can contribute in different ways.”

ON WHEN HE THINKS HE’LL BE BACK TO 100 PERCENT: “I highly doubt I’ll get back to 100 before the season ends, with me playing on it every day, not resting it like it needs to be rested. I can play with it. It’s a little nagging twinge back there. It needs to loosen up. But right now, I’m not really worried about it because I can play in the condition I’m in now.”

ON HOW MUCH HIS MISSED TIME THIS SEASON HAS IMPACTED HIS THOUGHTS ON THE NFL DRAFT: “As far as draft-wise, I kind of feel like I staked my name last year with the season that I had, but I’m not really thinking about the daft.”

ON WHETHER HE’LL PUT HIS PAPERWORK IN, THOUGH, TO BE EVALUATED BY THE NFL AFTER THE SEASON: “I highly doubt it because of the season that I had this year. I highly doubt it. I’m not really worried about the draft right now. If an NFL scout were to come and be like, ‘You’re going to be a first-rounder ...’ ”

ON HOW HE’LL DECIDED ABOUT THE NFL: “I’m just going to talk around. But right now, I’m not worried about the draft. We’ve still got five games left.”

ON SENSING, THOUGH, THAT HIS INJURY AND MISSED TIME HURT HIS STOCK: “Yeah, it has. That’s going to happen when you don’t play as much. If I could come back strong and show that I’m the same guy, haven’t missed a beat – I kind of felt like that against Georgia Tech, driving down the field. Even though I can’t hit my top-end speed like I want to, everything else is there. Everybody knows when I’m 100 percent what I’m able to do – when I have my supporting cast helping me.”

ON WHETHER HE THOUGHT BEFORE THIS YEAR, HE’D HAVE A GREAT YEAR AND BE GONE FOR THE NFL: “I knew I was going to have a good year. I didn’t (anticipate getting hurt). Who does? But I did, it happened. I’ve got to live with it and work with it. I’m just fortunate that there wasn’t a surgery involved, or season-ending, and I can just enjoy playing – whether it’s 80, 90, 95 percent – I can enjoy football and help my team win.”

ON WHETHER HE’D BE FINE WITH RETURNING FOR A JUNIOR SEASON AT TECH: “Of course. The best thing about being here, for me, is playing for the fans. That’s my favorite part about being here. I love the fans. Words can’t describe how they make me feel and how I feed off them. I would love to come back and play in Lane Stadium for another season. It’s not like, ‘Oh, no, I wouldn’t come back.’ Plus, it would be beneficial to come back and get my degree if I do decide to stay for another year.”

ON BEING ‘THE GUY’ LAST YEAR AND THE START OF THIS SEASON, AND HOW DIFFERENT IT HAS BEEN TO SHARE CARRIES: “The thing about me is I was never the No. 1 guy. I haven’t been the No. 1 guy since middle school. I shared carries from ninth to 12th grade, so I’m used to it. I’ve never been a part of a three-back system, but when you’ve got Darren Evans and David Wilson that can also contribute, why not put them on the field. For a guy to have 4.2 speed, he can probably run in his football pads, too. If I was a coach, I’d put him on the field, too. Why not? We can all be fresh. We can prevent the chance of being hurt.”

ON WILSON EMERGING QUICKLY: “With Darren having the season he’s already had (2008) and me having the season I’ve already had (2009), we’ve already proven ourselves. I really feel like it’s David’s turn and he’s been doing that. Once he becomes the premier guy, having to tote the rock 20-30 times a game, he’ll prove himself more than in the limited carries he’s been getting because we’ve been in the three-back system.”

ON HOW MUCH HE THINKS ABOUT THE NFL EVERY DAY: “Rarely, because I’m still 20 years old. I’ve still got two more years left to be here. I rarely think about it. I know I’m an NFL-bound player. I know that. But as far as thinking about it weekly, I don’t really touch it that much. I just know I want to handle business before I start thinking about the bigger picture. Because then I feel like I start losing focus and starting thinking about me and not what I need to do for this team.”

ON HOW HE’D HAVE TO PLAY IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS TO THINK HE’S NFL-READY: “I just want to be able to feel like I’m back to myself. When I have an injury, I’m very self-conscious about my injury. I don’t want to feel like that. When I’m able to get where I want to be, without feeling like while I’m running the ball, ‘Oh, I feel it, but I’ve got to keep running.’ I don’t want to feel like that. I hate feeling like that. But I know I’m a football player; it’s going to happen. I want to get to where I don’t have that in the back of my head.”

ON HAVING A NAGGING INJURY HIS SENIOR YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL: “My senior year was sort of like this. Got injured, came back, wasn’t back to myself until really the last game of the season. But as far as college scouts, they didn’t have any doubt in their mind I’m still able to produce on the football field. Hopefully that still works for the NFL scouts.”

ON THE PERCENTAGE CHANCE HE’LL BE AT TECH NEXT SEASON: “I can’t put a number on it right now, because I don’t think about it. So I guess it’s 0 to 100. Toward the end of the year, come holler at me, I’ll give you a better number. Around UVA time, come talk to me.”

Interesting :kicksrock:

Does anyone else think the Colts will draft one of the top WRs in next year's draft? Seems to me that only Reggie Wayne is a top end WR #1 and he's aging. They could sure use one of AJ Green, Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, or Michael Floyd. I doubt they would draft Baldwin because of his off the field issues, but based on talent he's probably the 2nd best WR in this draft. Green will likely go top 15 so he's out of the discussion also. However, I could see Floyd or Jones dropping to the Colts.
Highly doubtful. With Manning at QB, they don't need high-pedigree guys at WR. Peyton can make 6th round picks like Garcon highly productive. Just can't see them spending a 1st rounder on a receiver.

Highly doubtful. With Manning at QB, they don't need high-pedigree guys at WR. Peyton can make 6th round picks like Garcon highly productive. Just can't see them spending a 1st rounder on a receiver.
Well, Wayne, Gonzalez, and Clark were first rounders :stirspot: Yes, I can see them spending a 1st rd pick on a WR, especially with their best one aging and the other one can't stay healthy. So I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Well, Wayne, Gonzalez, and Clark were first rounders ;) Yes, I can see them spending a 1st rd pick on a WR, especially with their best one aging and the other one can't stay healthy. So I respectfully disagree with your assessment.
:hot: Let's not forget Addai and Donald Brown (both first rounders). The one think I like about the colts organization is the have consistently shown a committment to get the best player in football the weapons he needs.

If only the Packers would have done the same with Favre :football:

Agreed. Why in the world would they draft a WR? They have one of the worst run defenses this year, and they could use some help at OL.

just black dotting as my draft approaches... any details on Jordan Todman - RB UCONN, he seems small, but that also seems the trend, either our RBs are Peterson/Wells, or MJD/Ray Rice... now a days.. not lightening AND thunder.. but one or the other...
Anyone got any information on this guy? I really havent seen anyone say anything about Todman, but he put up monster stats this week and looking at his stats he put up good stats last year and is putting up good stats again this year.He's 5'9, ~195lbs so he's got pretty good bulk for his size. He's been getting a tonne of carries this year, so it looks like he has little trouble with carrying a full load. Here's the only videos I could find of him on youtube:

Strong TD run against Temple this year

Though it's not much of a sample size to make too many judgements on, he looks to have decent quicks, speed, catching ability from the Cincinnati video but he didn't show too much power and he didn't fall forward enough at the end of runs. But he shows a tonne of power in the Temple TD run from this year, so maybe he's improved in those facets this year.

Agreed. Why in the world would they draft a WR? They have one of the worst run defenses this year, and they could use some help at OL.
FYI, they've had one of the worst run defenses the last 10 years because of the type of DL they desire with their scheme. I agree they could use another OL, but IMO you take the best player available with your #1 pick ALWAYS!! Next year's draft is loaded with talented WRs and if a WR is the best player available you take him. As I said previously, the Colts need a talented WR #1 type of receiver. With Wayne approaching 30 they don't have that type of player on their roster. Now is the time to get a talented WR late in the 1st rd IMO.

rodgers needs to put on some serious bulk before he get anywhere close to this list
He is pretty bulky for his weight already. He will obviously still grow some but he doesn't really need much.
I agree that Locker's ADP will be limited by being a QB, but Bradford was the best in a very bad class of QBs. I'd be curious what Peyton Manning's ADP was. locker won't deserve to go that high because he's not a pure passer. Where did Vick go in Rookie drafts? I think Locker is Steve Young.
I like Locker's potential, but I don't see how he is rated higher than Stafford or Bradford were coming into the league. I didn't play dynasty when Vick and Manning were drafted, so maybe someone else can answer that question.
no Ryan Mallet, Arkansas QB ?
Not a fan of him at this point. He has all the physical tools, but too much Ryan Leaf in him for my tastes. If he shows improved maturity this season then he would likely move up quite a bit in my eyes.
I am not sure where you are comparing Mallet to Leaf. Off the field they are night and day. Mallet is a character guy with a good head. On the field he makes some questionable decisions so I think that is where the comparison is. What I don't like about Mallet is that as games get tight he makes mistakes under pressure. He doesn't have that special quality to excel there. I'm not sure that ability can be taught either. Even though physically they are similar I hate the Leaf comparison because the first thing I think off when it comes to Leaf is an immature, low character brat. What I know of Mallet and have seen of him is nothing like that at all. A guy to keep your eyes on is Knile Davis, RB for Arkansas. He has been impressive lately and seems to have the size and speed to play on the next level.

rodgers needs to put on some serious bulk before he get anywhere close to this list
He is pretty bulky for his weight already. He will obviously still grow some but he doesn't really need much.
I agree that Locker's ADP will be limited by being a QB, but Bradford was the best in a very bad class of QBs. I'd be curious what Peyton Manning's ADP was. locker won't deserve to go that high because he's not a pure passer. Where did Vick go in Rookie drafts? I think Locker is Steve Young.
I like Locker's potential, but I don't see how he is rated higher than Stafford or Bradford were coming into the league. I didn't play dynasty when Vick and Manning were drafted, so maybe someone else can answer that question.
no Ryan Mallet, Arkansas QB ?
Not a fan of him at this point. He has all the physical tools, but too much Ryan Leaf in him for my tastes. If he shows improved maturity this season then he would likely move up quite a bit in my eyes.
I am not sure where you are comparing Mallet to Leaf. Off the field they are night and day. Mallet is a character guy with a good head. On the field he makes some questionable decisions so I think that is where the comparison is. What I don't like about Mallet is that as games get tight he makes mistakes under pressure. He doesn't have that special quality to excel there. I'm not sure that ability can be taught either. Even though physically they are similar I hate the Leaf comparison because the first thing I think off when it comes to Leaf is an immature, low character brat. What I know of Mallet and have seen of him is nothing like that at all. A guy to keep your eyes on is Knile Davis, RB for Arkansas. He has been impressive lately and seems to have the size and speed to play on the next level.
I think this couldn't be farther from the truth to be honest with you. It is possible he has improved in that respect at Arkansas. But I tend to trust my first impressions because while people often change, they usually don't change THAT much. This is the same kid that Lloyd Carr was ready to throw off the team because he was such a cancer as a freshman. You can point to the age, the homesickness, or whatever else, but I don't like my QB to fold under pressure to the extent that Mallett did. I will take my chances elsewhere.

FYI, they've had one of the worst run defenses the last 10 years because of the type of DL they desire with their scheme. I agree they could use another OL, but IMO you take the best player available with your #1 pick ALWAYS!! Next year's draft is loaded with talented WRs and if a WR is the best player available you take him. As I said previously, the Colts need a talented WR #1 type of receiver. With Wayne approaching 30 they don't have that type of player on their roster. Now is the time to get a talented WR late in the 1st rd IMO.
Wayne will actually be 32 in four days. For that reason and the others that have been mentioned, I would not be shocked to see Indy take a top WR in the 1st if one is available at their pick.

Hipster -

Based on what I have seen and heard from people fairly close to him I don't agree. Also he didn't decide to leave Michigan until Carr left so it couldn't have been all bad. I am totally unfamilar with that situation though. In essence we agree on his on the field faults. I know he won't be on any of my teams next year, I just woudn't trust him.

Wayne will actually be 32 in four days. For that reason and the others that have been mentioned, I would not be shocked to see Indy take a top WR in the 1st if one is available at their pick.
Damn, I must have been in a time warp. For some reason I thought he was 29. All the more reason to do what I said.

The Real Hipster Doofus said:
Looking like its more 1a/1b with Ingram and AJ Green now.
:D These guys are easily the top 2 (skill) prospects in this class. Luck will get drafted higher because he plays the more in demand position but Ingram and Green and locks. In reality, it's been that way for a long time.J. Jones is making a serious move up boards. It's funny how a healthy season can do that for a guy. The class is littered with great WR talent after Green and I think Jones probably tops that list at this point. RBs are still a mess after Ingram. I don't know that there is another every down RB in this group.After watching the QBs this year I think Luck is the easy top choice. I was expecting more from Mallet but the guy is just not a franchise QB and will be overrated come draft time IMO. So will Locker.

Hipster -

Based on what I have seen and heard from people fairly close to him I don't agree. Also he didn't decide to leave Michigan until Carr left so it couldn't have been all bad. I am totally unfamilar with that situation though. In essence we agree on his on the field faults. I know he won't be on any of my teams next year, I just woudn't trust him.
Actually word on the street was that Mallett was gone from about halfway through the season, regardless if Carr was there or not. It's why I think it is funny that people blame Rich Rodriguez for "running Mallett out of town" or some notion like that. Mallett was unhappy that he was not on the field at some point and literally had a Ryan Leaf-esque meltdown on the sidelines, screaming at Lloyd Carr in front of everyone. While I allow the fact that people can change from age 18 to 20 something, I would prefer a player who is supposed to be a leader of men on a pro football team to not have those type of things on his resume at all.

Looking like its more 1a/1b with Ingram and AJ Green now.
:thumbup: These guys are easily the top 2 (skill) prospects in this class. Luck will get drafted higher because he plays the more in demand position but Ingram and Green and locks. In reality, it's been that way for a long time.J. Jones is making a serious move up boards. It's funny how a healthy season can do that for a guy. The class is littered with great WR talent after Green and I think Jones probably tops that list at this point. RBs are still a mess after Ingram. I don't know that there is another every down RB in this group.After watching the QBs this year I think Luck is the easy top choice. I was expecting more from Mallet but the guy is just not a franchise QB and will be overrated come draft time IMO. So will Locker.
I actually agree with you on most of this stuff. I was hoping that this year would give us a legitimate first round caliber RB who rises out of obscurity to become a high pick ala Mathews/Mendenhall/LJ, but there's just no one out there. Right now my tentative second tier behind Ingram is Mikel LeShoure, Shane Vereen, Jacquizz Rodgers, Daniel Thomas, LaMichael James, and Noel Devine. All of those guys have warts. I tend to favor LeShoure, Vereen, and Thomas because I think they can be moderately productive if they land in a starting spot (think Matt Forte, Joseph Addai, Julius Jones, etc). Quizz is maybe the best talent of the bunch, but he's pretty short and might be too light. I went to the Cal/Oregon game this past weekend. James really didn't impress me. Take away the lanes and he's useless because he has no elusiveness or power. I would say he's comparable to Steve Slaton, but he might not even be that good. Vereen clearly looked like the better back. Good vision with pretty good foot quickness, burst, and power. He lacks special qualities, but is pretty solid in every category. The one area where I think you might be exaggerating things is at WR. I don't have any problem with AJ Green as the top WR in this class. That's probably where he'll be on my board, but I don't know if the difference between him and the other guys is huge. Julio has stepped up his game this season, Baldwin is considered a first round talent, and Justin Blackmon is going bonkers every week. Floyd is also a decent prospect. I see this group of 5 WRs as the strength of this class, although I don't like any of them as much as I like Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas. As for Luck, I have seen almost every snap he has taken this season and he's definitely the real deal. He will occasionally force a bad throw into coverage downfield, but he'll learn from those mistakes and he's otherwise almost flawless. No question you take him over Ingram and Green because of scarcity and positional value. A good QB is worth a lot more to an NFL franchise than a good RB or WR. The only question is whether or not Luck will declare. All the mock drafts I'm seeing have him in the #1 spot, but I have to remind people that there's a very real chance he'll return to school. I would say it's about 50/50 right now. If Stanford wins out and goes to a BCS bowl and/or Harbaugh leaves the program then maybe Luck will decide to move on.

Excerpts from Rob Rang's blog

• Cam Newton may win the Heisman Trophy and lead Auburn to the BCS national title game, but scouts had two huge concerns about his ability to translate his unique skill set to the pro game entering Saturday's game against Georgia.

Newton is rarely asked to make more than one or two reads as a passer before tucking the ball and running in Auburn's zone-option offense. As spectacular as Newton has been, the 23.5 rushes per game he's attempted against SEC foes won't translate to the NFL. Newton will have to make twice as many reads in half the time at the next level. He will not have the option of simply scrambling on half of his snaps each game as he's done with the Tigers.

Considering the success they've had, Auburn isn't going to change its offense any time soon. As a result, scouts are going to have to project how Newton will fair reading defenses out of a pro-style offense.

The other concern scouts had about Newton, however, may have been answered in the Georgia game.

The vast majority of the 198 passes Newton has attempted this season have been relatively easy throws -- dump-offs to running backs and an occasional long bomb.

It would be easy to tout Newton's efficiency against the Bulldogs. He completed 12 of 15 passes for 148 yards and two touchdowns. Of his three incompletions, two were drops and the other went through the hands of a teammate and was intercepted by Georgia.

More importantly, against an athletic and desperate Georgia defense, Newton demonstrated the arm strength, touch and accuracy needed to be successful in the NFL. Newton drove the ball to the opposite sideline from the near hash. He fit the ball over the linebacker and under the safety down the middle. He lofted the ball down the sideline and hit his receiver in stride.

Newton, indeed, made "all the throws" and he did it during a week of scrutiny that will rival anything a pro quarterback would experience. That type of focus will go a long way in convincing NFL scouts that he not only has the physical attributes needed to be successful in the pros, but that he also has the mental toughness to thrive under the microscope.

• With his 11th touchdown reception of the year -- a 78-yarder against Georgia Tech on which Hankerson's explosiveness was on display -- Leonard Hankerson tied Michael Irvin for the highest single-season mark in Miami Hurricanes history. At 6-3, 208, and possessing deceptive downfield speed, Hankerson and Irvin have similar body types. The first few years of his career, Hankerson's ability to hang onto passes was not similar to the Hall of Famer. Hankerson led Miami with 45 receptions for 801 yards and six touchdowns as a junior, but ugly drops plagued him. Worse, some of those drops came in critical moments in big games.

But Hankerson spent much of 2009 offseason working with former Miami Dolphins' star Mark Duper. The hard work was evident in Hankerson's improvement last season and even more so this year.

The senior has risen to the top of the wide receiver class on some NFL teams' boards largely due to the combination of size, strength, speed and improved hands.

Hankerson only caught three passes against the Yellow Jackets, but proved himself worthy of "the playmaker" label in averaging 44 yards per reception. His touchdown, thrown by freshman Stephen Morris, was a 10-yard comeback on which he tacked the 68-yard sprint to the end zone. Hankerson snatched the ball out of the air, turned inside and accelerated past two Georgia Tech defenders.

just black dotting as my draft approaches... any details on Jordan Todman - RB UCONN, he seems small, but that also seems the trend, either our RBs are Peterson/Wells, or MJD/Ray Rice... now a days.. not lightening AND thunder.. but one or the other...
Anyone got any information on this guy? I really havent seen anyone say anything about Todman, but he put up monster stats this week and looking at his stats he put up good stats last year and is putting up good stats again this year.He's 5'9, ~195lbs so he's got pretty good bulk for his size. He's been getting a tonne of carries this year, so it looks like he has little trouble with carrying a full load. Here's the only videos I could find of him on youtube:

Don't know why Todman hasn't gotten more national press. UConn yet again lacks in the passing game (3 different starting QBs this year) but Todman keeps producing despite the fact defenses gameplan against the run. He's not a "blazer" but has great game speed/quickness, patience and power. Has done well in the passing game but that is a small sample size mostly due to UConn not throwing the ball all that much.

Here's some game highlights (not just Todman) from the Pitt game last week (Pitt was a Top 10 run defense before this game I believe):

Maybe it's because they had another guy named Donald Brown who led the nation in rushing and he sucks. :thumbdown:

Don't know why Todman hasn't gotten more national press. UConn yet again lacks in the passing game (3 different starting QBs this year) but Todman keeps producing despite the fact defenses gameplan against the run. He's not a "blazer" but has great game speed/quickness, patience and power. Has done well in the passing game but that is a small sample size mostly due to UConn not throwing the ball all that much.

Here's some game highlights (not just Todman) from the Pitt game last week (Pitt was a Top 10 run defense before this game I believe):

Yeah, Donnie's not exactly paving the way for UConn to become the next "RB U". But until there's a growing trend I'll keep the two seperate.

PFW - College notes

Excerpt:

Miami WR Hankerson lacks consistency

Posted Nov. 11, 2010 @ 1:39 p.m. ET

By Nolan Nawrocki

Miami (Fla.) WR Leonard Hankerson tracked the ball very well over his shoulder for the game-winning TD catch in the final minute against Maryland to give the Hurricanes a 26-20 victory and came through in the clutch when the Hurricanes needed a big play, but on the season as a whole, he has had too many drops and does not naturally catch the ball, which has left evaluators stamping mid-round grades on the athletic prospect.

There is a clear top 5 wr's who are all great prospects.

The rb's after ingram are all very questionable, i think vereen is the clear 2nd best in a very weak rb class.

Looks like the top 6-7 rookie picks will have a lot of value with a big drop off after that. Solid qb's but no one likes to draft them high.

Mikel Leshoure with 330 yards rushings on 33 carries today against Northwestern. Didn't watch the game so I don't know how he looked, but I assume he looked pretty good :lmao:

The potential of the 2011 Draft is awesome

At QB we could have Luck (Stud), Mallet and Locker (potential studs) and Newton (potential game changer...Vick like?)

At RB we could have Ingram and Ryan Williams (very good 3 down backs), Leshoure and D Thomas (nfl bodies that would look great in the right offense...say like GB, NE, NO, Wash and even Miami), D. Murray, K. Hunter and J Rodgers that could be plays in ppr and or rbbc roles.

At WR we could have Green (mega stud), Blackmon, J Jones, (studs), J Baldwin, Floyd (potential studs)

Watched the Oregon State/Stanford game tonight. Quick thoughts:

- I don't have much to say about Andrew Luck that I haven't already said. He was 21/30 for 309 yards and 4 TDs. It's not a stretch to say that he has the best mental skills of any college QB that I've seen in the past 10 years. Combine that with his above average physical talent and you have the rare can't-miss franchise QB prospect.

- Quizz Rodgers had a quiet night. I have said in the past that I see his NFL career falling somewhere in the spectrum between Sproles--Bradshaw--Rice. After tonight I would lean more towards the low end of that range. He's a good player, but definitely undersized. He was getting slung around like a rag doll tonight when people got a good grip on him. I still think he can have value as a role player/RBBC guy in the right offense. I would be inclined to draft Thomas and Leshoure ahead of him because they are more prototypical featured backs even though they might not be as talented.

- I have always thought that Stanford WR Doug Baldwin was a compelling athlete, but he has really turned the corner this season in terms of catching the ball and making plays. In previous seasons he was just an athletic guy who would tease you with his potential and drop easy passes. Not this year. He has been catching everything, including some spectacular leaping grabs in tight coverage. I think he has played his way into the draft picture. I don't see him as a can't-miss prospect, but he could be a 4th-5th rounder and a decent WR3 in the NFL. He's in the mold of Andre Roberts, although I'm not as high on his NFL potential.

Torrey Smith: Maryland (6-1, 200)If it was athletic ability and straight-line speed alone that made you a good wideout, Maryland’s Torrey Smith would be near the top of any list. However, despite his great initial burst and vertical speed down the field, he still has a long way to go. Smith struggles as a route runner to cleanly change directions and quickly get out of his breaks, chopping his feet in order to gear down and regain balance before making his cut and working his way back toward the football. Plus, he isn’t a real natural plucker, seems to often fight the football into his body and overall lacks ideal body control when asked to quickly regain balance and adjust to the play. Overall, the skill set is there for this guy to make big vertical plays at the next level, but he still has a ways to go if he ever hopes to be more than just a gifted athlete trying to run away from defenders at the next level.
This looks like a cut-and-paste from Heyward-Bey's scouting report. I agreed about DHB, but disagree about Smith. I think his routes are cleaner than he's given credit for here, as are his hands, and he will go get the ball. I'm certainly no scouting expert but I think Smith is a much better prospect than DHB.14/224/4 TDs yesterday65/1045/ 12 TDs on the season, mostly with a F QB.

Anyone catch the Bama game? (Well I'm sure some did). I missed it. Looked like trent and mark were really held in check. However, Julio had a day looking at the stat line.

Any other noteables around the NCAA?

Anyone catch the Bama game? (Well I'm sure some did). I missed it. Looked like trent and mark were really held in check. However, Julio had a day looking at the stat line.Any other noteables around the NCAA?
Justin Blackmon showed me a lot by playing with an ankle injury and still being productive. He looks very good.

Anyone catch the Bama game? (Well I'm sure some did). I missed it. Looked like trent and mark were really held in check. However, Julio had a day looking at the stat line.Any other noteables around the NCAA?
Alabama passed early and often because Auburn has had a terrible time against big physical WRs this year. Really did not try and establish the run game.

UCONN season ticket holder here (and hopefully buying tickets to the Fiesta Bowl after next week), I have watched every snap of Todman's career.Donald Brown was a different type of runner, he definitely ran with a lot more power than Todman, but that doesn't mean Todman can't carry the load. As someone said, UCONN has no passing game whatsoever, so teams are stacking the line to stop Todman, and they can't.

The two things that stand out to me with Todman are his vision and balance. He knows exactly what his lineman are going to do, and he reads their blocks well. And he has a tremendous center of gravity, whcih allows him to bounce off blockers.

He is not a cut on a dime player, but he can take off in an instant. As someone said, he is football fast (And I think he will run a very good 40 at the combine should he come out this year). He isn't thick in the lower body, and is not a great short yardage runner.

I believe as a prospect, Donald Brown was better, but Todman will surprise. Don't really see him going in the first couple of rounds, but wouldn't shock me to see him gone in the 3rd round.

Torrey Smith: Maryland (6-1, 200)If it was athletic ability and straight-line speed alone that made you a good wideout, Maryland’s Torrey Smith would be near the top of any list. However, despite his great initial burst and vertical speed down the field, he still has a long way to go. Smith struggles as a route runner to cleanly change directions and quickly get out of his breaks, chopping his feet in order to gear down and regain balance before making his cut and working his way back toward the football. Plus, he isn’t a real natural plucker, seems to often fight the football into his body and overall lacks ideal body control when asked to quickly regain balance and adjust to the play. Overall, the skill set is there for this guy to make big vertical plays at the next level, but he still has a ways to go if he ever hopes to be more than just a gifted athlete trying to run away from defenders at the next level.
This looks like a cut-and-paste from Heyward-Bey's scouting report. I agreed about DHB, but disagree about Smith. I think his routes are cleaner than he's given credit for here, as are his hands, and he will go get the ball. I'm certainly no scouting expert but I think Smith is a much better prospect than DHB.14/224/4 TDs yesterday65/1045/ 12 TDs on the season, mostly with a F QB.
You don't like O'Brien? I have heard good things about him. I went to Maryland for a couple years (Mark Duffner years), try to catch game at College Park every couple of years.

The Andrew Luck hype train continues to gain steam. Earlier this year Russ Lande said Luck was the best QB he had ever evaluated. Now Rob Rang has come out with even stronger praise:

Each week, we rewind the game film to highlight the star-worthy performances that could impact the 2011 draft rankings:

• Considering that he entered the week No. 1 in my mock draft, it appeared impossible for Stanford redshirt sophomore quarterback Andrew Luck to raise his stock.

Luck did just that as the Cardinal annihilated Oregon State 38-0 Saturday night to position themselves for a berth in a BCS bowl game.

Luck was deadly efficient, completing 21 of 30 passes for 304 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. His four TD passes give him 28 on the year, a new Stanford record formerly held by a guy named Elway.

It is hyperbole to compare Luck to any of the all-time greats. Luck, for as good as he is, obviously hasn't done a thing at the professional level.

A number of scouts over the long weekend made it clear that the comparison to some of the all-time greats aren't merely media hype -- the scouts are drawing parallels, too.

Luck's size, arm strength and surprising speed earn high grades from scouts. His accuracy, ability to read defenses and poise are earning even more exemplary marks.

One key to disrupting any quarterback is pressure up the middle -- and most any mechanism that would throw off a passer's timing. Oregon State senior DT Stephen Paea was again dominant (he led OSU with eight tackles and contributed two tackles for loss, a sack and a forced fumble), but Luck's ability to side-step him while keeping his eyes downfield and firing strikes gave an emphatic answer to one of scouts' few remaining questions -- whether Luck had the ability to translate to the speed and pressure of the NFL.

Luck's four touchdown passes covered an average of 36 yards. They came on a variety of routes and reads by Luck. On the first, taking the ball from center, Luck dropped back looked right to move the free safety, turned and fired quickly down the left seam. He perfectly led tight end Zach Ertz for a 21-yard score. Luck split the free safety and cornerback to hit wideout Doug Baldwin on a deep post for a 42-yard touchdown moments later.

Luck's most impressive touchdown of the night was actually among his shortest throws. Pressure from OSU's front four forced him to step up into the pocket and hit Baldwin on a drag route for approximately 10 yards. Baldwin avoided defenders for the final 20 yards to the end zone. The annual race to be the first pick or highest-rated player at a given position doesn't, in itself, provide the historical data to demonstrate how highly a player is rated by scouts. Obviously, someone is going to be the first pick, regardless of if the draft is considered strong or weak as a whole.

Luck is more than just the best quarterback -- or best player -- potentially available for the 2011 draft, however.

He's the best quarterback AND elite prospect -- including LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Hutchinson, Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh -- I've scouted, including every Senior Bowl since 2001.

Torrey Smith: Maryland (6-1, 200)

If it was athletic ability and straight-line speed alone that made you a good wideout, Maryland’s Torrey Smith would be near the top of any list. However, despite his great initial burst and vertical speed down the field, he still has a long way to go. Smith struggles as a route runner to cleanly change directions and quickly get out of his breaks, chopping his feet in order to gear down and regain balance before making his cut and working his way back toward the football. Plus, he isn’t a real natural plucker, seems to often fight the football into his body and overall lacks ideal body control when asked to quickly regain balance and adjust to the play. Overall, the skill set is there for this guy to make big vertical plays at the next level, but he still has a ways to go if he ever hopes to be more than just a gifted athlete trying to run away from defenders at the next level.
This looks like a cut-and-paste from Heyward-Bey's scouting report. I agreed about DHB, but disagree about Smith. I think his routes are cleaner than he's given credit for here, as are his hands, and he will go get the ball. I'm certainly no scouting expert but I think Smith is a much better prospect than DHB.14/224/4 TDs yesterday

65/1045/ 12 TDs on the season, mostly with a F QB.
You don't like O'Brien? I have heard good things about him. I went to Maryland for a couple years (Mark Duffner years), try to catch game at College Park every couple of years.
Oh, I like him a bunch. But he is a freshman, though even so he's probably already better than anyone MD has had since Scott McBrien.

The Andrew Luck hype train continues to gain steam. Earlier this year Russ Lande said Luck was the best QB he had ever evaluated. Now Rob Rang has come out with even stronger praise:

Each week, we rewind the game film to highlight the star-worthy performances that could impact the 2011 draft rankings:

• Considering that he entered the week No. 1 in my mock draft, it appeared impossible for Stanford redshirt sophomore quarterback Andrew Luck to raise his stock.

Luck did just that as the Cardinal annihilated Oregon State 38-0 Saturday night to position themselves for a berth in a BCS bowl game.

Luck was deadly efficient, completing 21 of 30 passes for 304 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. His four TD passes give him 28 on the year, a new Stanford record formerly held by a guy named Elway.

It is hyperbole to compare Luck to any of the all-time greats. Luck, for as good as he is, obviously hasn't done a thing at the professional level.

A number of scouts over the long weekend made it clear that the comparison to some of the all-time greats aren't merely media hype -- the scouts are drawing parallels, too.

Luck's size, arm strength and surprising speed earn high grades from scouts. His accuracy, ability to read defenses and poise are earning even more exemplary marks.

One key to disrupting any quarterback is pressure up the middle -- and most any mechanism that would throw off a passer's timing. Oregon State senior DT Stephen Paea was again dominant (he led OSU with eight tackles and contributed two tackles for loss, a sack and a forced fumble), but Luck's ability to side-step him while keeping his eyes downfield and firing strikes gave an emphatic answer to one of scouts' few remaining questions -- whether Luck had the ability to translate to the speed and pressure of the NFL.

Luck's four touchdown passes covered an average of 36 yards. They came on a variety of routes and reads by Luck. On the first, taking the ball from center, Luck dropped back looked right to move the free safety, turned and fired quickly down the left seam. He perfectly led tight end Zach Ertz for a 21-yard score. Luck split the free safety and cornerback to hit wideout Doug Baldwin on a deep post for a 42-yard touchdown moments later.

Luck's most impressive touchdown of the night was actually among his shortest throws. Pressure from OSU's front four forced him to step up into the pocket and hit Baldwin on a drag route for approximately 10 yards. Baldwin avoided defenders for the final 20 yards to the end zone. The annual race to be the first pick or highest-rated player at a given position doesn't, in itself, provide the historical data to demonstrate how highly a player is rated by scouts. Obviously, someone is going to be the first pick, regardless of if the draft is considered strong or weak as a whole.

Luck is more than just the best quarterback -- or best player -- potentially available for the 2011 draft, however.

He's the best quarterback AND elite prospect -- including LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Hutchinson, Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh -- I've scouted, including every Senior Bowl since 2001.
Boy, as a Panthers fan I am salivating right now... :stalker:

Boy, as a Panthers fan I am salivating right now... :banned:
There are a ton of teams that need QBs this year. I really hope luck comes out because the NFL needs it. Literally 1/3 of the league could probably use a QB. Some of the teams with major needs are:

Cardinals

Vikings

Panthers

Raiders

Titans

49ers

Seahawks

Bills

I would think the top three QBs are locks for the first round. I haven't looked much deeper but I wouldnt be surprised if another QB that would be graded as a 2nd or 3rd round talent sneaks in.

I'd like to get people's thoughts on this one. It's the time of the year that we are trading our future picks as playoffs are settling. Let's talk lockout again. Most of the nations top prospects right now are JRs.

How possible is it that if the labor deal gets hairy that many of them will opt to stay in college rather than letting their skills decline for a year?

Could a potential change to the rookie wage scale make them break one way or the other?

I'd like to get people's thoughts on this one. It's the time of the year that we are trading our future picks as playoffs are settling. Let's talk lockout again. Most of the nations top prospects right now are JRs. How possible is it that if the labor deal gets hairy that many of them will opt to stay in college rather than letting their skills decline for a year?Could a potential change to the rookie wage scale make them break one way or the other?
From my understanding, any labor stoppages/issues would occur after the draft has already taken place. Besides that fact, even if the rookies get scaled down I don't think it makes a huge difference. When you are a college kid, 20 million instead of 50 million is not a huge difference IMO. You are still making 20 mill more than you were in college, except for Cam Newton who would make 19,800,000 more.

I'm a Big East follower (Rutgers primarily). I agree with your view on Todman. As far as under-discussed Big East backs, I like Bilal Powell more. I tend to get a bit scared by players who have only produced for one year, and I'm not sure where Powell goes in the draft, but he's got a pretty good combo of size and speed.ETA: Video of Powell

Don Quixote said:
I'm a Big East follower (Rutgers primarily). I agree with your view on Todman. As far as under-discussed Big East backs, I like Bilal Powell more. I tend to get a bit scared by players who have only produced for one year, and I'm not sure where Powell goes in the draft, but he's got a pretty good combo of size and speed.

ETA: Video of Powell
Big East follower here as well. Isaiah Pead (Cincinnati) is overlooked as well. Cincinnati doesn't run the ball much, so he doesn't have gaudy numbers. Last year he split time and became the starter this year.Over the two seasons, he's put up:

259 carries

1738 yards

6.7 ypc

15 TDs

He's a little undersized (5'11 200), but could easily bulk up. He's only a 20 year old junior. His 40 time is listed at 4.38, with a recorded low of 4.29. He's a burner. If anyone saw him vs. Oklahoma this year (21/169) they saw how fast he was on the field. He was running away and by everyone.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him come back though.

Does Michael Floyd's injury history scare anybody away from using a potential 1st round rookie pick on him?

Do you guys see any RB outside of Ingram being a top 6 rookie pick?

Does Jake Locker need to go to a team with a solid coaching staff and good QB coach to have the chance at being a successful pro? I know he's had a terrible season but I'm not ready to write him off as a prospect just yet.

Does Michael Floyd's injury history scare anybody away from using a potential 1st round rookie pick on him?

Do you guys see any RB outside of Ingram being a top 6 rookie pick?

Does Jake Locker need to go to a team with a solid coaching staff and good QB coach to have the chance at being a successful pro? I know he's had a terrible season but I'm not ready to write him off as a prospect just yet.
Given how RBs fall off rookie draft boards, I'd expect guys like Leshoure, Thomas and perhaps Vereen to be candidates to go in the top six, especially if they go to RB hungry teams. I can see 2nd/3rd round RB picks by MIA, WAS, GB and NO being fantasy drafted top six, rather than fantasy drafts going Ingram, Green, WR, WR, WR, WR. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread