What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2012 Top college prospects (1 Viewer)

Robinson brings down Big House

Michigan QB Denard Robinson leaves a lot to be desired as an NFL passer, lacking the field vision and accuracy to throw from the pocket, and the Wolverines' junior signalcaller looked out of sync in the more traditional offense of new head coach Brady Hoke. But no one can question Robinson's playmaking ability or on-field flair — which were never more apparent than in the fourth quarter of the Wolverines' wild, come-from-behind, 35-31 victory against Notre Dame on the biggest stage in football.

Down 24-7 late in the third quarter in front of a crowd of nearly 115,000 on prime-time television, Robinson came alive when he rolled to the left, stepped up to avoid the rush and, with a defender draped around his legs, chucked the ball to open WR Junior Hemingway, who scampered for a 77-yard gain. A fumble bounced perfectly back to Robinson three plays later and he picked it up in stride and cleanly ran into the endzone to close the gap to 24-14.

Building on a sensational 502-yard outing against Notre Dame a year ago, Robinson added an exclamation point to last year's effort in the final few minutes when he overcame a very sluggish first three quarters, repeatedly pushed the ball downfield and sparked the offense by stacking big plays.

Irish QB Tommy Rees, who replaced the struggling Dayne Crist the week before, seemed to regain command of the offense midway through the fourth quarter. He connected with Michael Floyd — which he did 13 times for 159 yards, which helped Floyd surpass Golden Tate as Notre Dame's all-time career receiving leader — and pieced together a strong, clock-eating drive that came close to putting the game out of reach. Instead, the ball slipped out of his hands on a 1st-and-goal play from Michigan's seven-yard line and he fumbled, turning the ball over to Michigan with 6:08 to play.

Robinson then showed that no game is ever out of reach, reeling off two TD drives in the final two minutes and 23 seconds, including the game-winning TD pass with two seconds to play.

A very experienced Irish secondary, featuring standout senior S Harrison Smith and CB Gary Gray, played on its heels and could not prevent the mystique that Robinson brought to the game in wearing Michigan throwback uniforms. Gray was flagged for pass interference on the final TD pass, and Smith struggled to get over the top and contain the deep fades that worked magically for Hoke.

Through the first two weeks of the season, Robinson, Baylor junior QB Robert Griffin and Wisconsin senior QB Russell Wilson have proven to be the most exciting quarterbacks in college football.

• Florida International senior WR T.Y. Hilton showed his exceptional burst and playmaking ability when he scored TDs on his first two catches to spark a 24-17 upset victory over host Louisville on Friday night. Hilton finished with a school-record 201 receiving yards on seven catches. At 5-9½, 178 pounds, Hilton has been clocked at 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash, but he plays faster with the ball in his hands and is dynamic changing direction and wiggling through traffic and could become an impact return man and slot receiver in the pros.

• Georgia OLT Cordy Glenn clearly has enough athletic ability to man the left side, but he appeared more comfortable inside last season than he does handling the edge and needs to do a better job recognizing where pressure is coming from prior to the snap. He left QB Aaron Murray vulnerable to too many clean shots coming from Glenn's inside in the Bulldogs' 45-42 loss to South Carolina. He also was flagged twice for jumping before the snap.

• After sitting out the first game for his role in an impermissible-benefits scandal, Miami (Fla.) senior QB Jacory Harris is slated to return to the starting lineup next week when Ohio State comes to town. Harris was one of 12 Hurricanes who were sanctioned by the NCAA and had to make charitable donations after a university investigation revealed they accepted money or gifts. Sophomore Stephen Morris could continue to fend for the job considering how much Harris has struggled in the past. Morris showed fairly well in the Hurricanes' only outing this season, but could not finish the game in the opener, allowing Maryland senior CB Cameron Chism to pick off his final throw on fourth down and return it 54 yards for a TD to clinch a 32-24 win for the Terrapins. Chism could excel in a cover-2 scheme. Despite his lack of size, he has good ball skills and plays aggressively.

• The knocks on USC junior QB Matt Barkley are that he could not close out games last season when the Trojans needed it most and has been too inconsistent down the stretch. He managed to escape Minnesota with a 19-17 victory on Sept. 3 and pulled off controversial 23-14 win over Utah Saturday, but his early-season efforts have been less than inspiring.

• Fresno State WR Devon Wylie, one of the fastest players in college football, returned a punt 67 yards for a score, doing an excellent job setting up his blocks, sidestepping the initial wave of tacklers, splitting three more and cutting against grain again to give the Bulldogs a 7-0 lead on the road. Wylie's speed and return ability will draw mid-round interest if he shows he can stay healthy.

• Oregon junior CB-RS Cliff Harris was reinstated this week following an indefinite suspension for excessive speeding (118 mph) on a suspended license, but the Ducks did not need him in the return game in a 69-20 thumping of Nevada, with LaMichael James showing great balance bursting through two tackles on a 58-yard punt-return touchdown.

• Alabama's competitive, tempo-setting OLB Courtney Upshaw took himself out of the Penn State game in the second quarter after suffering an injury, but it is not expected to be serious.

As promised:

Working on Lattimore (I know they are sophomores) :football:

Last edited by a moderator:
College stock watch: Floyd catching the eyes of NFL scouts

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

Each Monday throughout the college football season, NFL.com draft expert Bucky Brooks will share his notes and evaluations on potential NFL prospects for the 2012 draft and beyond. An asterisk (*) denotes players who aren't seniors.

» *Michael Floyd's character issues are a concern, but his talent makes him an enticing No. 1 receiver. The Notre Dame star has all the tools to be a difference maker in a pro passing game, and scouts are certainly salivating about his potential after watching him dominate Michigan's defense with a 13-catch, 159-yard performance. He consistently shook free from defenders in tight coverage by using his size and strength to create separation at the top of the route. When given free access at the line of scrimmage, Floyd's surprising quickness allowed him to gain a step on defenders on short and intermediate routes. He displays excellent running skills after the catch, and his size (6-foot-3, 224 pounds) makes him difficult to bring down in the open field. Floyd is at his best when the ball is in the air, when his superior ball skills and athleticism allow him to routinely come down with contested balls in the red zone. It's easy to forecast Floyd as a potential No. 1 receiver at the next level. To maintain his lofty standing on draft boards, however, Floyd must show that he has matured beyond his alcohol-related transgressions to become dependable on and off the field. If evaluators are convinced that his issues are a thing of the past, Floyd's remarkable skill set will entice a team to make him a No. 1 option as a pro.

» Melvin Ingram's versatility will serve him well as a pro. The South Carolina defensive end put together a phenomenal performance against Georgia that will make him coveted as a pro. Ingram scored touchdowns on a fake punt and a fumble recovery, and also fielded the game-preserving onside kick. At 6-foot-2, 276 pounds with speed reportedly in the 4.7 range, he is an athletic edge player with versatility. He flashes explosive first-step quickness off the corner and his closing burst allows him to run down quarterbacks from the backside. He finished 2010 with nine sacks and 11 tackles for loss, while playing as a situational rusher for the Gamecocks. With another season to hone his skills as a rusher and showcase his versatility as a special teams ace, Ingram will experience a gradual rise up the charts as the season progresses.

» Florida International's T.Y. Hilton is college football's best-kept secret. The Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year hasn't received a lot of national fanfare, but he is certain to shoot up draft boards across the league after his spectacular performance against Louisville. The 5-foot-10, 184-pound speedster is an all-purpose threat with the kind of speed that changes games. His seven-catch, 201-yard performance against the Cardinals featured a pair of touchdowns that covered 70-plus yards (a 74-yard touchdown on a slant and an 83-yard score on a deep ball). His reported 4.3 speed is complemented by a combination of agility and quickness that makes him a dangerous threat in the open field as a receiver and a returner. With 14 catches for 333 yards and three scores in only two games, Hilton is starting to generate a buzz in scouting circles.

Word on the street

» Oklahoma State's *Justin Blackmon is considered a better prospect at this stage of his career than Dez Bryant, according to multiple scouts familiar with both players. Blackmon, a top receiver in the 2013 class, is a more refined route runner and considered a harder worker than his predecessor. He also has been lauded for his football IQ and his ability to quickly grasp new concepts.

» Boise State's Doug Martin is one of the top running backs in the 2012 draft class, but he might not be the best runner on his team. According to an NFC scout who recently studied the Broncos, D.J. Harper is the most talented back on the roster. The fifth-year senior has shown glimpses of his speed, explosiveness and big-play potential throughout his career, but a pair of season-ending knee injuries have kept him off the field for the majority of the past two seasons. Although his durability remains a huge concern, flashes of talent will keep him on the radar of scouts looking for a late-round sleeper.

Stock up

*Trent Richardson, Alabama, RB: Richardson showcased the many facets of his rugged running style during a 26-carry, 111-yard performance against Penn State. While he didn't display the flashy skills that made him a popular choice for highlight reels, his ability to grind out tough yardage between the tackles is the stuff scouts and coaches love to see in potential feature backs.

Mark Barron, Alabama, SS: The Crimson Tide's suffocation of the Nittany Lions' offense can be attributed to Barron's ability to make plays all over the field. As the designated hitter in the middle, he tallied seven tackles with a fumble recovery and an interception. His acrobatic pick showcased the range, awareness and ball skills that have scouts touting him as a top safety prospect.

Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, QB: Weeden bounced back from a subpar performance a week ago to put up 397 yards against Arizona. He was sharp and precise from the start, completing 27 of his first 31 throws, while picking apart the Wildcats coverage. His poise, awareness and accuracy were exceptional from the pocket, and he even displayed better than anticipated mobility. With a stellar showing on a big stage, Weeden made amends for his disappointing play last week.

Stock down

Ryan Lindley, San Diego State, QB: The Aztecs star is regarded as one of the top passers in the 2012 class, but he put on a lackluster showing against Army. Lindley finished 8 of 18 for 146 yards with one touchdown. Those numbers aren't awful, but his inability to find a rhythm in the pocket or sustain drives prevented the Aztecs from seizing control of the game.

Jared Crick, Nebraska, DT: Crick finished with three tackles, but failed to produce any disruptive plays against the Bulldogs despite facing an inexperienced offensive line. Although the Huskers earned the win, the lack of production from their best defender is somewhat surprising considering the competition.

Quinton Coples, North Carolina, DE: The disruptive edge player was a non-factor in the Tar Heels' 24-22 win over Rutgers. He didn't record a tackle, sack or pressure in the game, and failed to make a significant impact despite being the most talented player on the field.

From that Dyer clip, I hate the way he holds the football. No way he is going to get away with that in the NFL. His second efforts are great though.

• Fresno State WR Devon Wylie, one of the fastest players in college football, returned a punt 67 yards for a score, doing an excellent job setting up his blocks, sidestepping the initial wave of tacklers, splitting three more and cutting against grain again to give the Bulldogs a 7-0 lead on the road. Wylie's speed and return ability will draw mid-round interest if he shows he can stay healthy.
I was at this game and #7 has some ridiculous moves and looks a lot more powerful than his 5'9" 180 frame would suggest. He broke quite a few tackles on punt returns and looked like he was gonna break one at any time. I was surprised to see he was only a part-time WR occasionally playing in the slot. I think they would have better luck if they used him on bubble screens and some of that type of stuff like New England used Welker at the beginning

'Abraham said:
As promised:

Thanks, will add them to my list as we go into the season. I'm uploading Lattimore now. I was very impressed with this kid he can really carry a load even when UG was stacking eight in the box he still produced.

QB: Robert Griffin III :stalker:

Coming soon in no particular order:

RB:

Lamar Miller

LaMichael James :excited: (I'm now a believer)

David Wilson

Ronnie Hillman

Henry Josey

WR:

Robert Woods

A.J.Jenkins, Kendall Wright

Jordan White :pics:

TE:

Paul Richardson :wub:

As of today I have 115 NACC Football games saved on my server it's going to take me some time to get those I want actually posted so be patient LOL!!

Russ Lande of the Sporting News makes his latest predictions for next year's top five:

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford (senior). "He's the best quarterback I've ever evaluated," Lande said. "He's special guy. Whatever team gets him, he's going to have a chance to be good for 15 years. There are going to be teams desperate to get Andrew Luck."

2. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina (senior). "He's a long, linear kid. He's got a natural feel for how to defeat a pass block, and he has a burst to the quarterback. He finds a way to get to the quarterback, that's really difficult to find."

3. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina (junior). "He's very similar to A.J. Green. He has the speed to get deep, which is rare for a really tall receiver. He has great natural ball skills; he reminds me a bit of Sidney Rice. He has the tools to be one of those dynamic football players."

4. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (junior). "He is significantly better running back than what Mark Ingram was a year ago," Lande said. "He's a definite top five pick, and could challenge to be that No. 1 pick. He's a dynamic playmaker with the explosiveness and power to take plays the distance. He's a Barry Sanders type. He's a special back who could change the way teams play in the NFL."

5. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame (senior). "He has great height, great hands, and is coming out of a passing offense in college, so he knows exactly what he has to do to in terms of a complex offense. He will definitely be productive early in his career. He's more ready and more polished now that almost all the other receivers in the country."

Not much chatter about this past weekend's games. :unsure:

I caught all of Stanford vs. Arizona. WR Juron Criner did his Juron Criner thing. Made a few big plays and impacted the game without ever really looking like a dominant player. I just can't peg his NFL potential. He doesn't have any single physical quality that leaps out at you, yet he's a tall target who just produces. QB Nick Foles was probably the most impressive Wildcat on the night. I talked about Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler last week. Foles might be even better. He seems like a smarter player and he was great in this game. I think he completed his first 17 or 18 passes. Silly stuff. His final stats weren't as impressive, but that's because Stanford wore him down with a brutal pass rush. They're just a much better team. No fault of Foles'. Keep an eye on him. He looks like he could be one of those guys who comes out of the 2nd-4th round and becomes a surprise pro starter.

On the Stanford end, QB Andrew Luck had another strong performance. He's good for a few ridiculous throws every game, showing perfect timing and placement on a couple tosses that very few QBs can make. I can't say much about him that I haven't said. Real deal. WR Chris Owusu had a decent night. He's fast and reasonably elusive. I'm not super bullish on his NFL potential though. He's a great return man and a talented enough player to get playing time in the NFL, but in all the time I've watched him I've never felt like he was special purely as a WR prospect. RB Stepfan Taylor has emerged over the past two seasons as the best player in Stanford's crowded backfield. He is compact with deceptive power, good foot quickness, and ho-hum long speed. I think he'll get drafted someday. Probably as a third day pick with a backup role in his future. TE Coby Fleener was knocked out of the game early with a concussion. Fleener is a linear TE with a lean build and lots of straight line speed. I'm not really sure how he fits in at the NFL level, but maybe some creative team can get a lot out of him.

I caught bits and pieces of some other games, notably Notre Dame vs. Michigan. I was only watching the running plays, so I have no thoughts on Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd. The player who caught my eye was Irish RB Jonas Gray. He has had a very quiet college career, but looks like he could get into an NFL camp as a third day draft pick or a priority free agent. He could rise even higher than that with a big season. Michigan State RB Edwin Baker was bottled up. The Spartans fell behind early and were playing catch up, which prevented them from pounding the ball.

'EBF said:
Not much chatter about this past weekend's games. :unsure:

I caught all of Stanford vs. Arizona. WR Juron Criner did his Juron Criner thing. Made a few big plays and impacted the game without ever really looking like a dominant player. I just can't peg his NFL potential. He doesn't have any single physical quality that leaps out at you, yet he's a tall target who just produces. QB Nick Foles was probably the most impressive Wildcat on the night. I talked about Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler last week. Foles might be even better. He seems like a smarter player and he was great in this game. I think he completed his first 17 or 18 passes. Silly stuff. His final stats weren't as impressive, but that's because Stanford wore him down with a brutal pass rush. They're just a much better team. No fault of Foles'. Keep an eye on him. He looks like he could be one of those guys who comes out of the 2nd-4th round and becomes a surprise pro starter.

On the Stanford end, QB Andrew Luck had another strong performance. He's good for a few ridiculous throws every game, showing perfect timing and placement on a couple tosses that very few QBs can make. I can't say much about him that I haven't said. Real deal. WR Chris Owusu had a decent night. He's fast and reasonably elusive. I'm not super bullish on his NFL potential though. He's a great return man and a talented enough player to get playing time in the NFL, but in all the time I've watched him I've never felt like he was special purely as a WR prospect. RB Stepfan Taylor has emerged over the past two seasons as the best player in Stanford's crowded backfield. He is compact with deceptive power, good foot quickness, and ho-hum long speed. I think he'll get drafted someday. Probably as a third day pick with a backup role in his future. TE Coby Fleener was knocked out of the game early with a concussion. Fleener is a linear TE with a lean build and lots of straight line speed. I'm not really sure how he fits in at the NFL level, but maybe some creative team can get a lot out of him.

I caught bits and pieces of some other games, notably Notre Dame vs. Michigan. I was only watching the running plays, so I have no thoughts on Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd. The player who caught my eye was Irish RB Jonas Gray. He has had a very quiet college career, but looks like he could get into an NFL camp as a third day draft pick or a priority free agent. He could rise even higher than that with a big season. Michigan State RB Edwin Baker was bottled up. The Spartans fell behind early and were playing catch up, which prevented them from pounding the ball.
It looks to me like Cierre Wood is the RB to own from that game. He has really elevated his game this season.

This week Tony Pauline mostly talks about defensive and O-Line players:

Linebackers boost draft stock in Week 3 with strong showings

Excerpts:

Sean Renfree, QB, Duke* -- One of the best kept secrets at the quarterback position wears a Duke uniform and ran roughshod over Boston College last weekend. Renfree has NFL size and the arm strength to match. He plays a smart brand of football, spreads the ball around to all his targets and makes all the throws. He led Duke to victory on Saturday with some lofty numbers, completing 77 percent of his passes for 359 yards and two scores. If Renfree was not on the radar screen of NFL scouts before last weekend, he is now.
Notes: Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd continues to impress NFL scouts. In the victory over Michigan State, he hauled in eight catches for 84 yards. Half of those receptions resulted in first downs. Floyd has established himself as a first-round pick, but where he ends up in the frame will depend on how fast he runs prior to the draft and how he answers questions about several off-field incidents.
Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden is starting to build a buzz around himself in scouting circles. Against Tulsa, the senior connected on almost 75 percent of his throws and totaled 369 passing yards. Weeden does have a bad touchdown-to-interception ratio this season and is presently 27 years old, both red flags. The Cowboys travel to College Station to face off against Texas A&M on Saturday. Scouts will be watching how Weeden performs against the stingy Aggie defense.

College stock watch: Barkley's game continues to grow

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

Published: Sept. 19, 2011 at 03:20 a.m. Updated: Sept. 19, 2011 at 10:04 p.m.

Each Monday throughout the college football season, NFL.com draft expert Bucky Brooks will share his notes and evaluations on potential NFL prospects for the 2012 draft and beyond. An asterisk (*) denotes players who aren't seniors.

» Matt Barkley* is the real deal. The Southern Cal star has been sensational through the first three weeks of the season and scouts are starting to take notice of his spectacular start. Barkley has completed 69 percent of his passes for 892 yards with nine touchdowns and only one interception. Against Syracuse, he completed 26 of 39 passes for 324 yards with five touchdowns. He distributed the ball to eight different receivers and avoided costly mistakes by routinely taking the second and third option.

Although Barkley's patient approach lacks pizzazz, his game will certainly appeal to evaluators searching for a future franchise quarterback with the skills to thrive in a pro-style passing game. At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, Barkley is a classic pocket passer with outstanding arm strength. He throws the ball with zip, and is superb with his ball placement. He routinely leads his receivers into open areas with pinpoint throws while showing excellent anticipation and awareness. His keen understanding of coverage results in few turnovers or risky throws from the pocket.

Barkley has made tremendous progress as a passer and game manager over the past two-plus seasons, and his spectacular play through three games has certainly placed him among the top passers in the country.

» Alabama might be the new Tailback U. The Crimson Tide lost Mark Ingram to the NFL, but their new tandem of Trent Richardson* and Eddie Lacy* are emerging as a dominant force on the college landscape. Both are punishing, hard-nosed runners with speed and power. They show impressive quickness attacking the line of scrimmage, and their ability to make decisive cuts works well in Alabama's zone-based system.

Richardson, a junior, is already regarded as the top runner in his class based on his impressive flashes of brilliance during his first two seasons. He has averaged 5.8 yards per carry for his career and has 22 touchdowns in only 307 carries. His big-play ability is evident whenever he touches the ball, and he put those talents on display with his performance against North Texas (11 carries for 167 yards with three touchdowns).

Lacy, a second-year player, has been impressive as a complementary back. He has 304 yards on only 28 carries with three touchdowns, including Saturday's nine-carry, 161-yard performance with two scores. His ridiculous 10.9-yards-per-carry average is indicative of his explosiveness as a runner. At 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, he has the size and strength to run over defenders in the hole and also displays the nimble footwork to be elusive in traffic. He has a knack for finding seams against overaggressive defenses, and his decisive running style results in few negative runs.

Nick Saban has certainly established a pipeline to the pros during his brief tenure at Alabama, and his talented tandem appears destined to make its mark at the professional level.

Word on the street

» Stanford's Andrew Luck* is not only earning rave reviews from scouts based on his impressive physical skills, but his impeccable character and leadership ability. According to an NFC scout, the junior quarterback is the "real deal" in every facet on and off the field. The scout spoke at length about the reverence Luck's teammates have for his affable personality and tremendous work ethic. Those traits are essential to thriving as the face of an NFL franchise.

» Washington's Alameda Ta'amu has drawn favorable comparisons to former Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year and Chicago Bears second-round draft pick Stephen Paea. An NFC South scout recently compared the two and called Ta'amu more athletic and powerful. He went on to rave about Ta'amu's strength at the point of attack and his ability to create penetration as a low leverage player. With his combination of strength, power and skill, Ta'amu is currently rated as a late first-round prospect on most draft boards.

» Oregon CB Cliff Harris* recently returned from an early season suspension, but scouts harbor concerns about his slender frame and build. At 5-foot-11, 165 pounds, he lacks the size to battle big receivers and his bow-legged build lead to concerns about his movement. Although Harris still rates among the best corners in the 2013 draft class, the looming questions about his body type could work against him.

Stock up

Marcus Lattimore*, South Carolina, RB: Lattimore rushed for 246 yards on 37 carries with three touchdowns while displaying a combination of speed, power and elusiveness that makes him look like an ideal feature back at the next level. With a downhill running style that is reminiscent of Eric Dickerson, Lattimore has certainly jumped onto the radar of scouts looking for a future star at the position.

Morris Claiborne*, LSU, CB: Claiborne's two-interception performance in the Tigers' win over Mississippi State showcased the instincts and ball skills that have led some to tab him as the top cover corner in college football. He has the rare ability to suffocate receivers in bump-and-run or shadow coverage, and that versatility certainly makes him an intriguing future prospect despite concerns about his slender frame.

Chris Rainey, Florida, RB: Rainey's sensational all-around performance against Tennessee provided scouts with a glimpse of his impressive skill set as a multipurpose playmaker. He rushed for 108 yards on 21 carries, added another 104 receiving yards on two receptions and blocked the fifth punt of his career. Although his diminutive size (5-foot-8, 178 pounds) likely means a shift to slot receiver as a pro, Rainey's speed, quickness and open-field running skills will make him a coveted prospect in the spring.

Stock down

Andrew Datko and Zebrie Sanders, Florida State, OTs: The tandem struggled against the speed and quickness of Oklahoma's pass rushers. They combined to surrender three sacks in the fourth quarter and their inability to provide solid protection prevented Florida State from mustering an effective comeback in their 23-13 loss to the Sooners.

Jacory Harris, Miami, QB: Harris returned from a one-game suspension to deliver an underwhelming performance in the Hurricanes' upset win over Ohio State. He completed 16 of 23 passes for 123 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. His turnovers were particularly disturbing due to his late throws and questionable decisions. He repeatedly failed to deliver the ball on time, which raises questions about his anticipation and awareness. While Harris' ability to guide the Hurricanes to a win is important, his uneven play during the game will lead to concerns about his potential effectiveness as a pro.

Road games revealing for some of the top prospects

By Rob Rang

NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

Sep. 19, 2011

Each week, we rewind the game film to highlight the star-worthy performances that could impact the 2012 draft rankings:

With a variety of top teams traveling, last week's slate of games was appropriately characterized as "Road Test Weekend." The toughest test of the weekend was reserved for the top-ranked Oklahoma Sooners. The 23-13 final score proves that the Sooners survived this ordeal, but a wobbly performance from junior quarterback Landry Jones has scouts questioning his readiness for the bigger exams looming at the NFL level. Jones, (6-4, 230) demonstrates most of the physical skills that scouts are looking for. Besides a prototypical frame, Jones possesses a strong right arm, the accuracy to attack all levels of the field and plenty of mobility to maneuver around the pocket.

Last season, his first as the full-time starter, Jones won the Sammy Baugh Award as the nation's top passer, leading the country with 405 completions in 617 attempts for 4,718 yards and 38 touchdowns with 12 interceptions. He passed Sam Bradford as the Sooners' all-time passing leader Saturday night (8,490 career yards) with 199 yards against the Seminoles.

His glowing statistics are perhaps Jones' greatest badges. But scouts don't draft numbers.

Jones is at his best distributing the ball quickly, attacking the defense with the variety of quick screens and slants that make up much of Oklahoma's offense. As he's shown in the past, when taking snaps out of the shotgun and passing from a clean pocket, Jones is almost surgical in his ability to slice defenses. However, when asked to drop back from center or stand in against a blitz, the close proximity of defenders rattled him.

Jones led the Sooners to a touchdown on their first drive, but was mostly befuddled until throwing what proved to be the game-winner with seven minutes remaining in the game. In between, he threw two interceptions, including a deep ball foolishly lofted into double coverage.

With the win, Jones is only 4-5 in true road games.

Give Jones some credit. He threw the 37-yard touchdown pass to Kenny Stills that won the game. The throw was late and -- like virtually all of his best throws -- came out of the shotgun with little pressure around him in the pocket. But Jones delivered a solid throw, surviving the type of tough road battle that every team with realistic hopes at a BCS Championship must face.

To scouts, the inconsistent performance only confirmed suspicions that Jones is a flawed prospect who might have beaten Sam Bradford's record, but currently lacks the poise to rival his former teammate's elite pro grade. He remains firmly behind Andrew Luck and USC's Matt Barkley as the top quarterback prospects in the country and is barely holding off Texas A&M senior Ryan Tannehill for the third position.

• Andrew Luck and Stanford cleared their first test of the young season in traveling to Arizona for the Pac-12 conference opener for both teams. The game was billed as a showdown between two of the Pac-12 elite quarterbacks. Luck demonstrated the significant difference between he and Arizona's Nick Foles -- and virtually every other quarterback in the country -- with another deadly efficient performance. It didn't receive raves nationally because it's what is now expected of Luck.

Luck completed 20 of 31 passes for 325 yards and two touchdowns against the Wildcats. While his completion percentage (64.5 percent) was actually lower than Foles' (72.7 percent), Luck's passes came from under center and were spread evenly to his wide receivers, tight ends and backs in Stanford's pro-style attack. Early injuries to potential all-conference tight end Coby Fleener and wide receiver Chris Owusu slowed the Stanford offense, but with accuracy as precise as Luck's, the Cardinal offense was virtually unstoppable in the second half, outscoring Arizona 21-0 in the second half.

Luck did put his team in a precarious position early in the game when he uncharacteristically attempted to force a ball into tight coverage in the end zone. Facing a 3rd-and-goal from the two-yard line, Luck rolled right and fired a quick out to senior receiver Griff Whalen.

The ball, thrown low and away, initially appeared to be intercepted by a closing Trevin Wade for an Arizona interception. Replay, however, ruled that Wade, who entered the game tied with three others for the active national lead of 11 career interceptions, trapped the ball against the ground. Stanford kicked a 20-yard field goal moments later.

Luck doesn't dazzle you with his athleticism or arm strength. His ability to put Stanford into manageable conditions with pre- and post-snap reads is without peer at the collegiate level. Add to this his remarkably consistent accuracy and it is easy to see that Luck lost nothing with the "graduation" of former head coach Jim Harbaugh to the NFL.

• Considering they've played three times in 13 months, the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Washington Huskies are familiar foes. That makes for the ideal scenario for scouting, as the schematic trickery has largely been thrown out the window, leaving just good old-fashioned speed, strength and stamina as the primary avenue to a victory.

Former UW quarterback Jake Locker received most of the attention last year. After a 177-yard performance to earn Offensive MVP honors in last year's Holiday Bowl victory, Husky running back Chris Polk rightfully earned much of the hype entering this game. The most important player on the field for either team was actually Washington defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu, a 6-3, 335-pound monster in the middle who almost single-handedly shut down the Nebraska rushing attack in January and was a clear focus of the Husker's blocking scheme this time around.

Ta'amu, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated senior nose tackle, registered two tackles against Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl. However, one of them went for a 10-yard sack that knocked star Husker quarterback Tyler Martinez out of the game. Ta'amu also recovered a fumble and drew a holding penalty in the end zone that gave the Huskies a rare two-point safety.

In Saturday's game, the Huskers limited Ta'amu to only three assisted tackles. Nebraska often resorted to double-teams and utilized trap-blocking to combat the big Husky defensive tackle, drawing him and sealing him off with quick outside runs.

They exposed Ta'amu for what he is -- a terror to block one-on-one for interior running plays, but also a defender who'll struggle to consistently apply any real pressure on the quarterback.

Ta'amu is surprisingly quick on his feet for his size, but doesn't possess the quick hands or rush technique to slip by alert blockers. When his initial bull rush was contained, he quickly tired and was easily contained by the Nebraska pass protection. Though he pursues with surprising effort to the sideline (and delivers quite the emphatic hit when he does arrive), Ta'amu lacks sustained speed to beat the ballcarrier to the sideline.

Ta'amu's ability to eat up blocks on the inside will draw comparisons to former first round nose guards BJ Raji (Green Bay) and Phil Taylor (Cleveland) of recent years. For a team needing a physical presence inside, he fits the bill. However, while he is very good at filling his primary role in the defense, it is important to remember that he is, indeed, only filling the one role.

• Upon Further Review highlights a player whose performance over the weekend significantly altered my earlier assessment. In racking up 14 sacks for West Virginia last year, Bruce Irvin firmly established himself as a prospect to watch. Critics pointed out that at 6-2, 235 pounds he was a poor fit as a defensive end in the Mountaineers' 3-3-5 defense. The questions about his measurables were forgotten when scouts estimated the future NFL linebacker as having 4.5-second speed in the 40-yard dash.

Irvin has the athletic upside for the NFL, but continues to toil as an underutilized player for West Virginia. A bit of a square peg in a round hole in the Mountaineers' scheme, Irvin was frequently on the sideline while Maryland blistered the Mountaineers for 477 yards, including 188 on the ground.

Irvin's burst off the snap is impressive as is his upper-body strength and use of leverage on the bull rush. These characteristics make him an intriguing OLB prospect for teams using a 3-4 scheme in the NFL.

However, his size and inability to keep contain made it too easy for the Terrapins to run the football directly at him. Only when single-blocked was Irvin able to put any pressure on Maryland quarterback Danny O'Brien. With Maryland often resorting to a no-huddle offense, the Mountaineers needed Irvin to wreak havoc. Instead, Irvin was limited to only three total tackles, including one for loss, and the Mountaineers finished with zero sacks.

Not sure how much weight my opinion holds but I watched the Auburn - Clemson game this weekend and came away unimpressed by RB Andre Ellington. It may have been the Auburn D but I thought he looked tentative on his runs and took too long tippy-toeing in the backfield instead of turning upfield. He got shut down on a lot of runs and just didn't create anything. For a guy that's been talked about as a quality RB prospect I just didn't see it. I'll reserve further judgment until I see him play a few more games.

Also, is the performance of RB Eddie Lacy at all concerning for the prospects of RB Trent Richardson? I know it's crazy to talk about given how dominant Richardson has looked. But, Ingram's slow start in the NFL is a bit of a concern to me and is starting to raise a bit of red flag wondering "is it the player or the team?" With Alabama starting to look like a RB factory with Lacy's strong play combined with Ingram in the past and Richardson's continued efforts is it out of the question to wonder if Alabama is making their RBs look better as prospects than they actually are? I'm deferring to the more seasoned scouts on this one but it was just something that came to my mind while watching Alabama this year.

it is absolutely baffling to me how after 2 games (and a DUI to boot) Michael Floyd is being talked about as a blue chip prospect, when several months earlier he received a 3rd round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee. Which is it? To me, he looked like a big time prospect last year, before the committee gave him the 3rd round grade, but apparently that is why he went back to school for another year. Makes no sense to me, unless the committee's position on him hasn't changed, and everyone else has bought into the hype again.

it is absolutely baffling to me how after 2 games (and a DUI to boot) Michael Floyd is being talked about as a blue chip prospect, when several months earlier he received a 3rd round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee. Which is it? To me, he looked like a big time prospect last year, before the committee gave him the 3rd round grade, but apparently that is why he went back to school for another year. Makes no sense to me, unless the committee's position on him hasn't changed, and everyone else has bought into the hype again.
I said it last year when people were saying he got a 3rd round grade from the committee, if he entered the draft then (last year) he would have been a first rounder regardless of what the NFL Draft Advisory Committee said. Floyd hasn't displayed anything this year that he hadn't displayed in the past, he's just getting more hype this year because all the hype last year was going to Green/Julio.

Rang's Big Board: Setting table early with top 32

By Rob Rang

NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

Sep. 14, 2011

One of the most enjoyable elements of scouting is identifying legitimate NFL prospects playing on unsuccessful college teams.

Sometimes, this takes the form of discovering a proverbial diamond in the rough prospect toiling in relative anonymity at a so-called "small school. This was the case just a few years ago with some of the NFC's best receivers in the Atlanta Falcons' Roddy White (Alabama-Birmingham) and the Green Bay Packers' Greg Jennings (Western Michigan).

However, more commonly we find very good players playing on a bigger stage who simply aren't surrounded by great talent. Because their team isn't winning, these stars don't receive the national exposure they should.

Some very solid prospects -- Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly, Georgia offensive lineman Cordy Glenn and teammates Manti Te'o and Michael Floyd at Notre Dame -- have received plenty of national exposure. But with their teams all starting off 0-2, they could fall prey to the perception that they, too, have struggled. Glenn did struggle in the Bulldogs' opener against an underrated Boise State front four, but rebounded nicely against a talented South Carolina defense.

The key to scouting individual prospects is to ignore the disappointing record of a team and focus on what each player might bring to an NFL team.

Creating a "Big Board" at this point in the year isn't necessarily designed to predict the first 32 picks of the 2012 NFL Draft. With 12 more weeks left in this season, All-Star games, workouts and interviews playing critical roles in determining a player's final grade, much will change between now and April.

(* denotes underclassman)

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford*: Indianapolis Colts' president Bill Polian was on hand to watch Luck play against Duke last week. If his team doesn't make significant improvements soon, the Colts could prove a surprise contender for Luck's services in 2012.

2. Matt Kalil, OT, Southern Cal*: The younger brother of Carolina Panthers' Pro Bowl center Ryan Kalil, Matt has the makings of a future Pro Bowler at the all-important left tackle position.

3. Matt Barkley, QB, Southern Cal*: Not as statistically impressive in Week 2 against Utah as he was in the opener versus Minnesota, Barkley nonetheless again performed well in a tight ballgame.

4. Quenton Coples, DE, North Carolina: An obvious focus of the Rutgers' protection scheme in Week 2, Coples was held without a tackle in the win. His length, strength and versatility make him a potential NFL star, but he does not possess an elite first step as a pass rusher.

5. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State*: Like his former teammate Dez Bryant, Blackmon is simply a man among boys at this level. He plays faster than he'll run for the clock.

6. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa*: The next in the long line of Kirk Ferentz-coached top offensive linemen, Reiff is a legitimate top ten prospect himself, and could overtake Matt Kalil as the top tackle in the country.

7. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama*: Asked to carry the load against Penn State, Richardson did precisely that -- rushing for 111 yards and two scores against a defensive line loaded with pro talent.

8. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska: Rated the top senior prospect in the draft by some scouts heading into the season, Dennard has to get back onto the field to justify his lofty grade. He's missed the first two weeks with a muscle strain in his leg and may not suit up this week in the rubber match against Washington, either.

9. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: Strong, instinctive and productive, Crick played his way out of Ndamukong Suh's shadow last year. An All-American defensive tackle for the Cornhuskers last year, his future might lie outside in the 3-4.

10. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama: Jenkins will have to reassure scouts of his maturity, but his talent is obvious, especially at the FCS level. He was named the Gulf South Conference Special Teams Player of the Week after returning a punt 87 yards for a touchdown last week against Glenville State.

11. 'Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama*: Kirkpatrick showed off the unique combination of size, speed and physicality against Penn State that could result in a high first round grade.

12. Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M: Big (6-3, 215 pounds), athletic and physical, Fuller's lack of breakaway speed limits his stock, but he'll prove a standout if allowed to remain in a West Coast offense similar to the one he's in with the Aggies.

13. Donte Paige-Moss, DE, North Carolina*: A more explosive edge rusher than teammate Coples, Paige-Moss is bigger and stronger this season and though not dominant statistically against Rutgers (two tackles, one sack), looks poised to enjoy a breakout campaign.

14. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson: A penetrating three-technique defensive tackle who was overshadowed last year by Da'Quan Bowers, Thompson could enjoy a Drake Nevis-like breakout performance in 2011.

15. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina*: Physically dominant at this level due to his incredible size advantage (6-4, 233), but needs to be a more consistent route-runner and hands-catcher to warrant his hype.

16. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State*: Has an opportunity this week to boost his stock with a high-profile matchup against an inconsistent Notre Dame offense.

17. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford*: An athletic left tackle who has capably protected Andrew Luck's blindside. Looks smaller than his listed 6-6, 304 pounds and may lack the physicality for some schemes.

18. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma*: Strong-armed passer with eye-popping production who needs to improve his poise amid pressure and accuracy downfield to move up my board.

19. Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon*: Harris finally saw some playing time against Nevada (after sitting out the season-opener against LSU due to a suspension), but did little to change his grade in his 2011 debut.

20. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College*: Kuechly recorded a game-high 18 tackles and an interception to lead to Boston College's first touchdown of the 2011 season, but at 6-2, 235 pounds, he lacks the bulk scouts prefer for the middle, limiting his pro grade.

21. Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia: Rewarded my faith in him with a much improved second start of the season at left tackle. May not be able to remain there in the NFL, but looks like a possible future Pro Bowl candidate on the inside.

22. Mark Barron, SS, Alabama: The reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Week after a strong performance against Penn State (seven tackles, fumble recovery, interception), Barron's size and instincts make him a safer prospect than some of the other, more highly touted young prospects throughout the country.

23. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina*: Though not the big-play artist Harris is, Gilmore (6-1, 194) has been a standout in the SEC since Day One and is a more physical and reliable tackler than the Ducks' star. With another strong season and a fast 40-yard dash, he could prove to be a top 20 talent.

24. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M: Tannehill (6-4, 230) entered last year as a standout receiver for the Aggies, but after taking over for incumbent starter Jerrod Johnson at quarterback midway through the season, he showed flashes of brilliance and led the Aggies to the Holiday Bowl. Tannehill is undeniably a project, but has all the tools to emerge as a first-round prospect if he continues to develop in former Green Bay Packers' head coach Mike Sherman's pro-style offense.

25. Billy Winn, DT, Boise State: Winn's size, speed and athleticism proved too much for a talented Georgia offensive line in the Broncos' impressive season-opening win (three tackles, including 2.5 for loss). Winn has been impressive in other games against top competition and only needs to play with more consistency to warrant a first round selection.

26. Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State: Has an opportunity to really establish himself in a showdown against a very fast Oklahoma defense.

27. Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State*: Burfict possesses the ideal combination of size, speed and explosiveness, but played recklessly against Missouri, too often dropping his head to go for the highlight hit, rather than wrapping up securely.

28. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina: Despite the defensive linemen playing in front of him getting most of the attention, Brown, thus far, has been North Carolina's most active defender. He leads the team in tackles (12), tackles for loss (four) and sacks (2.5) through two games.

29. Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame*: The junior wasn't able to stop Michigan's explosive Denard Robinson from taking over the game last weekend, but did show better speed than I'd previously given him credit for possessing. Due to his greater consistency, he could leapfrog Burfict as the top MIKE 'backer of the draft.

30. Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia: Irvin popped off the tape, but I didn't include him in my Initial Top 32 for fear of him being an undersized (for defensive end) fluke. After all, the 6-2, 245 pound Irvin didn't start a game last year in racking up All-American numbers. The sacks continued in the season-opener with Irvin collecting another one against Marshall.

31. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame: Floyd's talent has never been the question. At times, he's been unstoppable and he certainly demonstrated this ability once again versus Michigan (13 catches for 159 yards). To be a first-round selection, he'll need to prove to scouts he's matured, especially off the field.

32. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina*: Has exciting upside, but has been overshadowed thus far by teammates Melvin Ingram and true freshman Jadeveon Clowney and needs to pick it up to remain on this list.

'Time Kibitzer said:
'manny said:
I said it last year when people were saying he got a 3rd round grade from the committee, if he entered the draft then (last year) he would have been a first rounder regardless of what the NFL Draft Advisory Committee said. Floyd hasn't displayed anything this year that he hadn't displayed in the past, he's just getting more hype this year because all the hype last year was going to Green/Julio.
Yea I don't really get that 3rd round grade. He is a 1st round talent if I have ever seen one. Only thing that could hold him back is possible character concerns.

'Time Kibitzer said:
'manny said:
Yea I don't really get that 3rd round grade. He is a 1st round talent if I have ever seen one. Only thing that could hold him back is possible character concerns.
Character issues and lazy routes. He is not a burner but can out-muscle his opponent.

San Diego St. QB Ryan Lindley looked awful today. Once the pressure got to him he got way to rattled and way off on just about every throw. I have seen him listed in some places as a top 5 QB prospect in this draft, but I don't see that at all.

Alabama is on a collision course with the BCS Championship Game this year, I don't see a single team that can beat them.

On that note, Trent Richardson has been great today. From his TD reception to his ability to pass block on that play in the 2nd qtr. and then still find a way to turn upfield and pick up yardage after delivering it.

Marquis Maze has steadily been impressing me more and more as the season progresses.

Greg Childs has hardly been noticeable today. Injury still an issue?

Cobi Hamilton hasn't seen a lot of balls come his way but caught a 19 yard TD in the 3rd qtr.

I'm lukewarm on Ryan Tannehill. He doesn't seem to have a lot of zip on his passes and he seems to throw over his receivers heads a lot. His 65 yard TD was incredible though, not many QBs can run like that.

Justin Blackmon has been slow and the Cowboys don't seem to be throwing to him consistently but he seems to be warming up in the 2nd half.

EDIT - After only 49 yards in the 1st half, Blackmon had 69 yards and a TD in the 3rd qtr alone. Wow! It would have been two TDs but he decided to carry the ball like a loaf of bread and have it squirt out of his hands near the endzone and roll out of bounds for a touchback. Horrible play not to secure the ball.

Cyrus Gray looks tentative in this game, I'm more impressed with his backup Christine Michael.

Jeff Fuller has had a bit of a slow start but did make a nice grab on his TD.

Tough to get a good read on Michael Floyd this morning with Notre Dame's pedestrian "attack."

Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu with 16 catches vs. Ohio today! Didn't see one play of the game but he'll be drafted in the first two rounds of rookie drafts.

Saw highlights of Baylor's Robert Griffin III... wow. Any thoughts on him as an NFL prospect? Seems like an incredible athlete with a great head on his shoulders... I think he's currently a graduate student after getting his Bachelors early. In interviews he seems very humble too... seems like hes got the sorts of intangibles a player needs to succeed in the NFL.

Saw highlights of Baylor's Robert Griffin III... wow. Any thoughts on him as an NFL prospect? Seems like an incredible athlete with a great head on his shoulders... I think he's currently a graduate student after getting his Bachelors early. In interviews he seems very humble too... seems like hes got the sorts of intangibles a player needs to succeed in the NFL.
Torn ACL in 2009(sophomore year), it's great to see him rebound and succeed.

I was just about to come in here and say "RGIII, next Cam Newton (FF-wise, so far) with less of an arm?"Dude's completing 84% of his passes, and has only thrown 12 incompletions all year. TWELVE! And has thrown 13 TD's. He's like Newton in that he's a capable NFL-level passer, who can also run. He can make all the necessary throws. Not as freakishly big, but he might be faster. He doesn't have as strong of an arm, but then, Newton's got a top-5 cannon working for him.

Anybody see this stephen hill guy make that catch for GT? I know its only one catch but i had Uncle Calvin flashback

Only had time to watch one game today, but it was a good one. ASU vs. USC. Lots of future NFL players on the field.

On the USC side, the most outstanding prospect by leaps and bounds was WR Robert Woods. He had a big night. 8 catches for 130 yards and 3 kick returns for 76 yards. He's a tall target with decent strength whose best assets are his speed and route running. He routinely gained separation on a wide variety of routes and caught everything thrown to him. He's the best player on the USC offense and a future first round pick. If there's a better WR in the 2013 class, I haven't seen him yet. The only downside is that he showed a bit of a diva streak by visibly pouting late in the game when things weren't going his way. QB Matt Barkley had a pretty forgettable evening. He made a handful of great throws, but also had some costly interceptions. His arm strength looks okay. My main concerns would be poise under pressure and consistency. He has perhaps become a bit too reliant on Woods, locking in on him too often (though it's hard to blame him). RB Marc Tyler put together a solid game. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he has a solid size/speed combination and showed a knack for making subtle cuts in the second level to earn extra yards. I think he's probably a mid-late round NFL pick.

As for ASU, I thought RB Cameron Marshall was the standout player in terms of NFL potential. I watched him play against UC Davis and Missouri earlier in the season and was slightly disappointed. He seems to have turned the corner. His full array of skills was on display tonight. 26 carries for 142 yards and 3 scores. Rare combination of size and athletic ability. He showed better foot quickness than in previous games and ran hard all four quarters. I'd say he's about 95% of the player Jonathan Stewart was at Oregon. Similar type of build and skill set. Not quite as fluid or freakishly gifted. Given the lack of elite RB options in this draft besides Trent Richardson, I still think Marshall is a good dark horse to emerge as a contender for the RB2 spot over the course of the season. QB Brock Osweiler had a pretty good game. I've talked about him before. Tall passer with a strong arm. There was nothing really spectacular about his game tonight and I have some doubts about his mental skills, but he did what he had to do and was especially effective on short and intermediate throws. He will certainly be drafted someday. The question is how high? I think he's a 2nd-4th round type that a team can gamble on as a developmental project. RB Jamal Miles showed good elusiveness in the receiving game, but is a tweener who doesn't have an obvious NFL position. WR Mike Willie and Gerell Robinson each made some nice plays. Neither consistently impacts the box score in the way that you would expect a top WR prospect to do, but both have enough upside to warrant selection in the NFL draft. I'd say they're 4th-7th round material. They big frames and good mobility, but questionable hands and desire. Finally, WR Aaron Pflugrad is a mite-sized slot type who could just sneak onto an NFL roster ala Wes Welker or Wayne Chrbet. I doubt he'll make a pro team, but he could at least get into a camp.

So, can anybody tell me anything on Lamar Smith? I'm starting to see and hear his name mentioned around the draft and I haven't really paid attention to him this year and we don't get any Hurricanes games up here so I've never seen him play. It seems like the #2 RB prospect behind Richardson is wide open this year and some people believe he could be that when April rolls around.

'J-Dawg said:
So, can anybody tell me anything on Lamar Smith? I'm starting to see and hear his name mentioned around the draft and I haven't really paid attention to him this year and we don't get any Hurricanes games up here so I've never seen him play. It seems like the #2 RB prospect behind Richardson is wide open this year and some people believe he could be that when April rolls around.
J-Dawg, you'll see for yourself. I'm working on two of his games now. After watching over 40 games so far this season I'm not too sure if Richardson is the undisputed #1 running back. I've been on that bandwagon since he signed with Bama but there are some serious talent coming out in the next two years and there will be some serious debating about the BIG FOUR, at least a lot more than more realize right now.I know I'll get some debate about Richardson not being the #1 running back but as the year go along there are other running backs that are not on most radars that will be soon. I'm not going to say who my darkhorse is right now but I will in time.Anyway, I'm uploading Crowell vs SC, Gramham vs ND, and Gramhan vs SF to Youtube as I type and will post when I'm done................Giddy Up!!

'J-Dawg said:
Do you mean Lamar Miller?

'J-Dawg said:
Yes, that's who he meant.

'J-Dawg said:
Yes I did, sorry. The Dolphin fan in me immediately thought of another Miami RB named Lamar. Looking forward to the videos, Tex! And yes, I'm also questioning Richardson as the undisputed RB but I still think for 2011 that he's the top guy, but if you're taking 2012 into account as well with guys like Dyer and Lattimore then the discussion is wide open. I love those two.

'J-Dawg said:
Yes I did, sorry. The Dolphin fan in me immediately thought of another Miami RB named Lamar. Looking forward to the videos, Tex!
He's good as advertised, Lamar and Crowell will be the cream of the crop in a few years. Anyway, his game against Maryland and Ohio St. will be posted before the weekend. :thumbup:

Cameron Marshall flipped his Beast Mode switch against Oregon State this past weekend:

How do the 2012 prospects stack up against those that just came out this last year; Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, Mikel LeShoure, Daniel Thomas etc.

How do the 2012 prospects stack up against those that just came out this last year; Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, Mikel LeShoure, Daniel Thomas etc.
Since you really only asked about RBs, it will more of the same. An Alabama RB is the clear number 1 (guessing Richardson will be drafted higher than Ingram), with a lot of "depth," that will be drafted from early 2nd to the mid 4th. Like this year, sorting out the talent and opportunity will be difficult. Think at the top, WRs are close to the same and QBs are actually better. Still a ton of football and bunches of evaluation before any of this is definitive.

Since you really only asked about RBs, it will more of the same. An Alabama RB is the clear number 1 (guessing Richardson will be drafted higher than Ingram), with a lot of "depth," that will be drafted from early 2nd to the mid 4th. Like this year, sorting out the talent and opportunity will be difficult. Think at the top, WRs are close to the same and QBs are actually better. Still a ton of football and bunches of evaluation before any of this is definitive.
I think the WR class is lighter at the top (I would take Julio and AJ over anyone in the 2012 class), but the talent seems to be much deeper overall at the position this year.

Seems to be quite a bit of depth at WR as compared to last year. Guys who may go in the first next year:- Jeffery- Blackmon- Floyd- Sanu- D. Jones (MAYBE)

I'm really loving what I see of Lattimore... He looks like a beast out there and very well built for the next level.

Pitt RB Ray Graham had another good game rushing for 165 and a long TD.

5-9, 195 sophomore definitely has the look.

'hitchcock said:
Pitt RB Ray Graham had another good game rushing for 165 and a long TD. 5-9, 195 sophomore definitely has the look.
pretty sure he's a junior, i agree regardless. wiggles and jiggles like gelatin.

Cameron Marshall flipped his Beast Mode switch against Oregon State this past weekend:http://youtu.be/R4zCKyfNW9Y?t=2m49s
Starting to pay more attention to this guy and like what I see. Spent a bit of time reading some ASU boards and they seem to think he'll go back to school after this year though.Is the 2012 RB class destined to be somewhat weak? I haven't liked what I've seen from the likes of Cyrus Gray. Knile Davis was a guy I was counting on being there come April but obviously that's not going to happen. Lamar Miller seems to be gaining steam but there's no guarantee he comes out either. Frustrating to own so many 1st rounds picks when the RB talent isn't going to be there. I may try to swing some of them for 2013 picks. How do you guys view the next two draft classes at the position?

Cameron Marshall flipped his Beast Mode switch against Oregon State this past weekend:http://youtu.be/R4zCKyfNW9Y?t=2m49s
Starting to pay more attention to this guy and like what I see. Spent a bit of time reading some ASU boards and they seem to think he'll go back to school after this year though.Is the 2012 RB class destined to be somewhat weak? I haven't liked what I've seen from the likes of Cyrus Gray. Knile Davis was a guy I was counting on being there come April but obviously that's not going to happen. Lamar Miller seems to be gaining steam but there's no guarantee he comes out either. Frustrating to own so many 1st rounds picks when the RB talent isn't going to be there. I may try to swing some of them for 2013 picks. How do you guys view the next two draft classes at the position?
2011 = Similar to last year when it was Ingram + a bunch of maybes. This year it's Richardson + a bunch of maybes. 2012 = A bit stronger. There are already two surefire first rounders (Lattimore and Dyer) and lots of very good sleepers.

Users who are viewing this thread