What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

Who is Sammy Watkins?Freshman year he burst on the scene: 82 receptions 1219 yards 14.9 12 TD + 231 yards rushing + 826 yards returning kickoffs with another TD-He showed explosiveness and good route running ability.-Named AP first team all-american(one of only four true freshman ever to be awarded the honor)Got busted for drugs in the offseason and suspended for two games of his sophomore season.Sophomore year was a disappointment: 57 receptions 708 yards 12.4 3 TD + 97 rushing with a TD + 257 yards returning kickoffs-Abdominal virus + big hit vs FSU + dehydration caused Watkins to miss the Boston College game-Carted off the field with a bad ankle injury vs LSU in the bowl game(he fumbled on the play as well)

Who is Sammy Watkins?Freshman year he burst on the scene: 82 receptions 1219 yards 14.9 12 TD + 231 yards rushing + 826 yards returning kickoffs with another TD-He showed explosiveness and good route running ability.-Named AP first team all-american(one of only four true freshman ever to be awarded the honor)Got busted for drugs in the offseason and suspended for two games of his sophomore season.Sophomore year was a disappointment: 57 receptions 708 yards 12.4 3 TD + 97 rushing with a TD + 257 yards returning kickoffs-Abdominal virus + big hit vs FSU + dehydration caused Watkins to miss the Boston College game-Carted off the field with a bad ankle injury vs LSU in the bowl game(he fumbled on the play as well)
Has there been any more info about the ankle injury since the bowl game?

Has there been any more info about the ankle injury since the bowl game?
The only thing I know is the X-rays were negative, which tells nothing about possible ligament damage.

I don't get all of this love for Jeremy Hill. I'd love to hear why he's getting hyped.Why i'm not crazy about him:-Has an off the field concern(felony)-Pretty slow(ran a 4.8 out of HS)-Not overly quick(had a 4.5 short shuttle out of HS)-averaged 4.9 YPC in the SEC. Compare this to other young RB in the SEC like Yeldon 6.5 and Gurley 6.3, it's not impressive.-Doesn't possess great agility, a little stiff in the hipsHe has a thick build and is a tough inside runner. These are players the NFL/FF owners aren't gaga over anymore, see Le'Veon Bell.
You need to go read up on him. His "felony" was simply getting head from a girl who didn't have a good of a rep anyway. She too was expelled from high school. Hill could have chosen to sign with another school, but instead took the year off and shot up to 260 lbs. He worked hard to get back down to 225-230 and re-committed to LSU. Seems like a dedicated football player to me.Many players are slow coming out of HS, doesn't mean they're that slow right now. Many players run 4.40's but can't play.Maurice Jones-Drew had a 4.41 short shuttle at the combine. Short shuttle is more important for slot WRs and CBs. Power backs don't need an impressive shuttle time.Hill is a lot more impressive than Le'Veon Bell. He has plenty of quickness for a 230-pounder and a good combo of speed/power/strength:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130107/florida-state-james-wilder.ap/

The system might be favorable, but that doesn't mean the player is a fluke. Lache has nothing in common with Alex Green. He's a little Porsche who can and explode on a dime. Also a former five star recruit. A different class of talent from guys like Ganaway and Green.
The point is it's easy to put up gaudy numbers in a system like that. You've remarked about it's impressive what "Seastrunk did down the stretch".Alex Green averaged 8.4 YPC for an entire season in hawaii 1199 yards 18 TDs.
Again, it's not about the numbers. It's about what the player can do. I wouldn't say Seastrunk is a first round lock, but he has special qualities.
I agree here with Seastrunk, not a feature back but could certainly see him in a 200-225 carry a season role.The system has something to do with his numbers the but the competition in the Big 12 vs a non BCS conference isn't a fair comparison IMO
Agreed that non BCS vs Big 12 isn't a good comparison. But lets not pretend that the Big 12 is a good defensive conference, offenses put up video game numbers.

just finished up a 3 round devy draft in a start up league... These were the resultshttp://fantasy-footballu.com/dynasty-leagues/2013/2/1/developmental-draft.htmlETA:felt a rankings update was needed:http://fantasy-footballu.com/developement/2013/2/1/2013-developmental-draft-rankings-2113.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that Devy draft. Really drives home how much I don't like the known pipeline for the next couple years though.

the more data points the better! of course, now I have to research some of those players in the 1st that was not on my list (since the Devy draft i'm preparing for only has 14 picks and all players that didn't declare are eligible, i've been studying the '15 class to kill a roster spot for 2 years)

just finished up a 3 round devy draft in a start up league... These were the resultshttp://fantasy-footballu.com/dynasty-leagues/2013/2/1/developmental-draft.html
Who drafted Bishop Sankey?James Wilder too high. Melvin Gordon is a guy I haven't seen much of, but he deserves to be in my top 5 RBs.Glad you're on board with Jay Ajayi. Highlights for those who haven't seen:
haha, yea. Obviously I didn't see him play this year, but from the highlights he looks like a power back with some burst + good stats + being a freshman.... sounds good to me

just finished up a 3 round devy draft in a start up league... These were the resultshttp://fantasy-footballu.com/dynasty-leagues/2013/2/1/developmental-draft.htmlETA:felt a rankings update was needed:http://fantasy-footballu.com/developement/2013/2/1/2013-developmental-draft-rankings-2113.html
Thanks for showing the draft. I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of those names, so I look forward to checking them out. Of the names I am familiar with, Jordan Matthews was drafted way too high imo, he looks like a NFL prospect that'd go in the 3rd round, but in these devy drafts I think you're much better off swinging for the fences and going for players with 1st round upside, so I'd definitely take either Mike Evans or Sean Price over him. A few of those drafters seem like they're happy enough with drafting big names in college football and not caring about their potential NFL fantasy production, as guys like Logan Thomas and De'Anthony Thomas just look like wasted picks.

just finished up a 3 round devy draft in a start up league... These were the results

http://fantasy-footballu.com/dynasty-leagues/2013/2/1/developmental-draft.html

ETA:

felt a rankings update was needed:

http://fantasy-footballu.com/developement/2013/2/1/2013-developmental-draft-rankings-2113.html
Thanks for showing the draft. I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of those names, so I look forward to checking them out. Of the names I am familiar with, Jordan Matthews was drafted way too high imo, he looks like a NFL prospect that'd go in the 3rd round, but in these devy drafts I think you're much better off swinging for the fences and going for players with 1st round upside, so I'd definitely take either Mike Evans or Sean Price over him. A few of those drafters seem like they're happy enough with drafting big names in college football and not caring about their potential NFL fantasy production, as guys like Logan Thomas and De'Anthony Thomas just look like wasted picks.
yup, a few guys were new to the Devy game, which made for a few questionable picks(like you mentioned).They are big college FB guys, but not familiar with the whole taxi squad/drafting for ceiling scene

I kind of forgot about Branden Oliver after his injury plagued 2012 season, but going back and watching his highlight reels reminded me why he was one of my favorite sleepers entering the last NCAA season. He looks to be only about 5'6", but he's really strong for his height and his short strides give him insane cutting ability. Reminiscent of Sproles and Ray Rice in his ability to make sharp cuts at full speed. Feet and hips are always moving.

averaged 100+ rushing yards per game last season at 5.5 YPC. Probably would've challenged for the NCAA rushing crown if he'd played all of Buffalo's games.Really curious to see what kind of year he has in 2013 and what kind of draft slot he gets in 2014.

I kind of forgot about Branden Oliver after his injury plagued 2012 season, but going back and watching his highlight reels reminded me why he was one of my favorite sleepers entering the last NCAA season. He looks to be only about 5'6", but he's really strong for his height and his short strides give him insane cutting ability. Reminiscent of Sproles and Ray Rice in his ability to make sharp cuts at full speed. Feet and hips are always moving.

http://youtu.be/fvjz5Le7Sy0?t=6m15s

He averaged 100+ rushing yards per game last season at 5.5 YPC. Probably would've challenged for the NCAA rushing crown if he'd played all of Buffalo's games.

Really curious to see what kind of year he has in 2013 and what kind of draft slot he gets in 2014.
I posted this before, but here is a tweet where Oliver references his height: 5'6-3/4"https://twitter.com/bolive32/status/267301009494257665

I'm that little bit hope when my backs up against the ropes #5'6"3/4 Ready for Greatness

http://youtu.be/fvjz5Le7Sy0?t=6m15s

He averaged 100+ rushing yards per game last season at 5.5 YPC. Probably would've challenged for the NCAA rushing crown if he'd played all of Buffalo's games.

Really curious to see what kind of year he has in 2013 and what kind of draft slot he gets in 2014.
I posted this before, but here is a tweet where Oliver references his height: 5'6-3/4"https://twitter.com/bolive32/status/267301009494257665

I'm that little bit hope when my backs up against the ropes #5'6"3/4 Ready for Greatness
If that's accurate, it's really not a bad height for him. He's about two inches shorter than ideal, but he has literally every other quality you want in a back. Strong. Quick. Productive. Good vision. He reminds me of Sproles in that he looks like a pocket version of a typical NFL RB. Watching him run the rock is a bit like watching Messi play soccer. His shorts legs are actually an advantage because his strides are so compact that he's able to take more steps and make more adjustments while the tall defenders trying to tackle him spin in circles.

I like Oliver's game... just seems like he knows what he is and uses his skillset perfectly.Small and compact with solid speed and can break tackles... looks sort of like a Jacquizz Rodgers type.As much as most of us don't like Rodgers in the NFL, hes carved out a role and it only looks to be increasing in 2013But... I'm not gonna beat around the bush, Todd Gurley is the next elite RB prospect... I cannot wait

I like Oliver's game... just seems like he knows what he is and uses his skillset perfectly.

Small and compact with solid speed and can break tackles... looks sort of like a Jacquizz Rodgers type.

As much as most of us don't like Rodgers in the NFL, hes carved out a role and it only looks to be increasing in 2013

But... I'm not gonna beat around the bush, Todd Gurley is the next elite RB prospect... I cannot wait
I like him, but he doesn't seem all that dynamic to me to where "elite" comes to mind just yet.

I like Oliver's game... just seems like he knows what he is and uses his skillset perfectly.

Small and compact with solid speed and can break tackles... looks sort of like a Jacquizz Rodgers type.

As much as most of us don't like Rodgers in the NFL, hes carved out a role and it only looks to be increasing in 2013

But... I'm not gonna beat around the bush, Todd Gurley is the next elite RB prospect... I cannot wait
I like him, but he doesn't seem all that dynamic to me to where "elite" comes to mind just yet.
:yes: Tough to wrap your head around that Hill/Gurley/Yeldon/Seastrunk group of players. Lots of talent there, but nobody who looks like an obvious lock first rounder just yet. By this time in his career I was already sky high on Trent Richardson. I'm taking more of a wait-and-see approach with this group. Since I don't have any top 4 dev picks this year, I don't really have to expend any effort trying to rank them.

As of right now I'd probably rank them Seastrunk, Hill, Yeldon, and Gurley. I wouldn't be surprised if the order changes next year. We'll get a much better look at Yeldon next year when Lacy is out of the picture. As for Gurley, I agree that he doesn't really have the "wow" qualities of an obvious star in waiting. He's got a strong lower body and awesome production, but I'm not seeing the wow factor in spades just yet. I'm not even convinced he's a better talent than Isaiah Crowell, who actually had a pretty similar game.

I still think Gurley's teammate Keith Marshall has more upside.Speed to burn, but he doesn't necessarily strike me as being a "football player." Doesn't seem all that instinctive. Otherwise I would be much higher on him. He's definitely got a wow factor.

I'm with Wisc; he's elite.

What makes him elite/almost sure first round pick is the speed + size combo. A power runner who I'm guessing runs a 4.40 4.45.barring injury(which is a huge if) I would almost guarantee hes a first round pick. He was not only dynamic as a runner but also good a returning kicks when given the opportunity. I don't know how many power backs can take it to the house as a kick returner27 carries for 118 and a TD against florida23 for 122 and 2 TDs against alabama plus as subjective as this sounds, his frame looks like he could add some major weight before he reaches the NFL(5-10lbs). obviously kicking around a lot of loosely defined statements but it's my read on the situation as of now. He simply looks faster and stronger than everyone else on the field IMO

:yes: Tough to wrap your head around that Hill/Gurley/Yeldon/Seastrunk group of players. Lots of talent there, but nobody who looks like an obvious lock first rounder just yet. By this time in his career I was already sky high on Trent Richardson. I'm taking more of a wait-and-see approach with this group. Since I don't have any top 4 dev picks this year, I don't really have to expend any effort trying to rank them.

As of right now I'd probably rank them Seastrunk, Hill, Yeldon, and Gurley. I wouldn't be surprised if the order changes next year. We'll get a much better look at Yeldon next year when Lacy is out of the picture. As for Gurley, I agree that he doesn't really have the "wow" qualities of an obvious star in waiting. He's got a strong lower body and awesome production, but I'm not seeing the wow factor in spades just yet. I'm not even convinced he's a better talent than Isaiah Crowell, who actually had a pretty similar game.
Hill above both Yeldon and Gurley? explain haha

What makes him elite/almost sure first round pick is the speed + size combo. A power runner who I'm guessing runs a 4.40 4.45.barring injury(which is a huge if) I would almost guarantee hes a first round pick. He was not only dynamic as a runner but also good a returning kicks when given the opportunity. I don't know how many power backs can take it to the house as a kick returner27 carries for 118 and a TD against florida23 for 122 and 2 TDs against alabama plus as subjective as this sounds, his frame looks like he could add some major weight before he reaches the NFL(5-10lbs). obiously kicking around a lot of loosely defined statements but it's my read on the situation as of now. He simply looks faster and stronger than everyone else on the field IMO
Florida has an argument for the best defense in the nation, and Gurley killed them. It won't show up on as much in the stats - although they are solid - without context. The Gators picked Murray 3 times, and Georgia really didnt' want to keep testing their secondary, so they put it all on Gurley, and he made key 3-7 yard run after another...with a top 3 defense selling out to stop him. He has great size for an NFL RB, let alone a true freshman. He will certainly add 5-10 pounds between now his eventual draft day. As Wisc said, great speed too. But what I really like - and what places him ahead of Yeldon in my mind - is his footwork. He runs a bit upright, but plenty of NFL RBs do. He's strong enough to move piles dispite that. He'd be the #2 RB on my board if he came out today, behind only Lacy, and I think he'll likely be a 1-2nd round pick with a lot of potential.

Don't take any of that as concrete. It's all preliminary at this point. I'm willing to listen to arguments if people favor one player over another. Having said that, Hill had a great debut season and was able to wrestle away a starting job from some pretty talented competition. He's got the right kind of frame for the NFL and showed a good combination of power and vision in the games that I saw. I especially liked his vision in the second level of the defense. He made some great plays once he got past the line of scrimmage. The one question mark I still have about him is footwork in tight spaces/lateral agility. I view all these guys as talented, but none of them as flawless. I'll have a much more concrete feeling after watching another entire season of games next year. And like I said, with no top 4 devy picks this year, it's not a debate that really concerns me.

Don't take any of that as concrete. It's all preliminary at this point. I'm willing to listen to arguments if people favor one player over another. Having said that, Hill had a great debut season and was able to wrestle away a starting job from some pretty talented competition. He's got the right kind of frame for the NFL and showed a good combination of power and vision in the games that I saw. I especially liked his vision in the second level of the defense. He made some great plays once he got past the line of scrimmage. The one question mark I still have about him is footwork in tight spaces/lateral agility. I view all these guys as talented, but none of them as flawless. I'll have a much more concrete feeling after watching another entire season of games next year. And like I said, with no top 4 devy picks this year, it's not a debate that really concerns me.
yea, more asking because I saw very little of Hill this year.an enigma to me..

'Concept Coop said:
'wiscstlatlmia said:
What makes him elite/almost sure first round pick is the speed + size combo. A power runner who I'm guessing runs a 4.40 4.45.barring injury(which is a huge if) I would almost guarantee hes a first round pick. He was not only dynamic as a runner but also good a returning kicks when given the opportunity. I don't know how many power backs can take it to the house as a kick returner27 carries for 118 and a TD against florida23 for 122 and 2 TDs against alabama plus as subjective as this sounds, his frame looks like he could add some major weight before he reaches the NFL(5-10lbs). obiously kicking around a lot of loosely defined statements but it's my read on the situation as of now. He simply looks faster and stronger than everyone else on the field IMO
Florida has an argument for the best defense in the nation, and Gurley killed them. It won't show up on as much in the stats - although they are solid - without context. The Gators picked Murray 3 times, and Georgia really didnt' want to keep testing their secondary, so they put it all on Gurley, and he made key 3-7 yard run after another...with a top 3 defense selling out to stop him. He has great size for an NFL RB, let alone a true freshman. He will certainly add 5-10 pounds between now his eventual draft day. As Wisc said, great speed too. But what I really like - and what places him ahead of Yeldon in my mind - is his footwork. He runs a bit upright, but plenty of NFL RBs do. He's strong enough to move piles dispite that. He'd be the #2 RB on my board if he came out today, behind only Lacy, and I think he'll likely be a 1-2nd round pick with a lot of potential.
I guess the speed that you guys are talking about didn't seem as apparent to me. Granted, I didn't see a lot of him, so I'm certainly no expert.

Richardson had four games his freshman year over 70 yards rushing: 80 vs Florida, 87 vs North Texas, 110 vs Texas, 118 vs Florida International. He also only had 751 yards at 5.2 YPC. I don't know how much you could see with limited production. Crowell is 5'11 190, he looks nothing like Gurley(6-1 220) and his stats don't prove it either. In two seasons in Georgia Crowell had 1700 rushing yards with 20 TDs at 5 YPC vs Gurley rushing for 1400 yards at 6.2 YPC with 17 TD.

I still think Gurley's teammate Keith Marshall has more upside.Speed to burn, but he doesn't necessarily strike me as being a "football player." Doesn't seem all that instinctive. Otherwise I would be much higher on him. He's definitely got a wow factor.
Agree with Marshall being much more explosive. His first step is quicker and his top end speed with a good jump cut. Marshall doesn't have the vision/power/tackle breaking ability of Gurley and doesn't make up ground in other areas IMO.

I guess the speed that you guys are talking about didn't seem as apparent to me. Granted, I didn't see a lot of him, so I'm certainly no expert.
I don't want to suggest he is a fast back, just plenty fast for his size. I don't think he's a 4.4 guy, but he can get to the corner quickly and break runs.

'wiscstlatlmia said:
What makes him elite/almost sure first round pick is the speed + size combo. A power runner who I'm guessing runs a 4.40 4.45.barring injury(which is a huge if) I would almost guarantee hes a first round pick. He was not only dynamic as a runner but also good a returning kicks when given the opportunity. I don't know how many power backs can take it to the house as a kick returner27 carries for 118 and a TD against florida23 for 122 and 2 TDs against alabama plus as subjective as this sounds, his frame looks like he could add some major weight before he reaches the NFL(5-10lbs). obviously kicking around a lot of loosely defined statements but it's my read on the situation as of now. He simply looks faster and stronger than everyone else on the field IMO
I'm with you Wisc, i'm very high on Gurley. I think 4.4 flat is a big high on him. But anywhere between 4.45-4.5 for a RB his size(I believe he's bigger than 220) is awesome. His ability to cut in tight areas, keep piles moving, stiff arm defenders is very good.

'Concept Coop said:
'wiscstlatlmia said:
:goodposting: I also agree that Gurley would be my #2 RB behind Lacy if all college RBs were eligible.

Don't take any of that as concrete. It's all preliminary at this point. I'm willing to listen to arguments if people favor one player over another. Having said that, Hill had a great debut season and was able to wrestle away a starting job from some pretty talented competition. He's got the right kind of frame for the NFL and showed a good combination of power and vision in the games that I saw. I especially liked his vision in the second level of the defense. He made some great plays once he got past the line of scrimmage. The one question mark I still have about him is footwork in tight spaces/lateral agility.

I view all these guys as talented, but none of them as flawless. I'll have a much more concrete feeling after watching another entire season of games next year. And like I said, with no top 4 devy picks this year, it's not a debate that really concerns me.
Compared to Yeldon taking away carries from the top RB in this draft class and other good Alabama recruits(Hart, Drake) or Gurley taking the starting job away from a higher recruited Marshall.I'm higher on Hill than I was before but he's not in the same class as Gurley/Yeldon.

Hill YPC 5.3, Gurley 6.3, Yeldon 6.5

Jeremy Hill vs Bama: 29 carries 107 yards 3.7 1 TD

Todd Gurley vs Bama: 23 carries 122 yards 5.3 2 TD

The system might be favorable, but that doesn't mean the player is a fluke. Lache has nothing in common with Alex Green. He's a little Porsche who can and explode on a dime. Also a former five star recruit. A different class of talent from guys like Ganaway and Green.
The point is it's easy to put up gaudy numbers in a system like that. You've remarked about it's impressive what "Seastrunk did down the stretch".Alex Green averaged 8.4 YPC for an entire season in hawaii 1199 yards 18 TDs.
Again, it's not about the numbers. It's about what the player can do. I wouldn't say Seastrunk is a first round lock, but he has special qualities.
I'm not here to debate and make everyone switch to my way of thinking. I'm trying to find out what others see(that I may be missing), this uncovers more information for not just you/me, but for the SP. Isn't that why we're here?What I see with Seastrunk on the field:-a fast RB, that possesses good long speed-solid vision to find a hole-avoids contact and has limited power-decent agility to find holes and make jump cuts, but he isn't great in this area-bounces too much and avoids contact too much, it limits his yardage
I would actually enjoy more discussion on Seastrunk if others would like. He's a bit of a ghost due to his transfer and lack of production(only last half of 2012).The more I watch him play, I see a bigger/less agile Duke Johnson. He has good, not great(Jahvid Best/Spiller) speed.

Richardson had four games his freshman year over 70 yards rushing: 80 vs Florida, 87 vs North Texas, 110 vs Texas, 118 vs Florida International. He also only had 751 yards at 5.2 YPC. I don't know how much you could see with limited production. Crowell is 5'11 190, he looks nothing like Gurley(6-1 220) and his stats don't prove it either. In two seasons in Georgia Crowell had 1700 rushing yards with 20 TDs at 5 YPC vs Gurley rushing for 1400 yards at 6.2 YPC with 17 TD.
I took Richardson in the 6th round of that ill-fated Aquil Salahudeen league after his freshman year. You could see the talent, even if the production was modest. It was pretty apparent from day one that he was a can't-miss type of prospect. Crowell weighed more than 190 and ran really hard. All you have to do is go watch his Georgia highlights to see that. He was a 5 star recruit and the #1 rated RB by Scout.com. Also a 5 star recruit on Rivals.com. He would have been right in the mix with Gurley and Marshall if he hadn't been booted off the team.

I took Richardson in the 6th round of that ill-fated Aquil Salahudeen league after his freshman year. You could see the talent, even if the production was modest. It was pretty apparent from day one that he was a can't-miss type of prospect. Crowell weighed more than 190 and ran really hard. All you have to do is go watch his Georgia highlights to see that. He was a 5 star recruit and the #1 rated RB by Scout.com. Also a 5 star recruit on Rivals.com. He would have been right in the mix with Gurley and Marshall if he hadn't been booted off the team.
I was in one of Salahedeen's leagues... :wall: I think i'm more stats driven than you. Wiki says Crowell is 5'11 190, UGA website said he's 215. Either way he doesn't look or play as strong as Gurley. They have different games, which is what I was debating. Crowell is more Gio Bernard, Gurley is more Eddie Lacy. Who's more talented, I always lean the way of production.If you're this high on Crowell, then do you see him in the same light as Michael Dyer? aka another player you constantly pimp that was a high recruit that got kicked off of a team

I think i'm more stats driven than you. Wiki says Crowell is 5'11 190, UGA website said he's 215. Either way he doesn't look or play as strong as Gurley. They have different games, which is what I was debating. Crowell is more Gio Bernard, Gurley is more Eddie Lacy. Who's more talented, I always lean the way of production.If you're this high on Crowell, then do you see him in the same light as Michael Dyer? aka another player you constantly pimp that was a high recruit that got kicked off of a team
I think you need to go back and actually watch some Crowell highlights. He is nothing like Bernard. He is a slashing power runner, not an open field scat back type. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW5uXm2NxekI don't think Crowell is as talented as Dyer. Dyer looked like a first round pick as a freshman. I had him rated above Lattimore. He wasn't quite as impressive in his sophomore year and then got kicked off the team. If he can get back to that 2010 level, he will be a top 15-20 NFL starter in the mold of somebody like Mendenhall.I don't rate Crowell quite that highly. I thought about taking him with the final dev pick in our deep end league last year, but passed in favor of Bernard. I wouldn't have done that if I thought Crowell was a lock first round talent. He has some flaws as a player. But he does a lot of things well and has the pedigree to be a pro back. You don't get ranked as a 5 star recruit and win the starting job as a true freshman at a school like Georgia without some talent. He will be in an NFL camp someday.

I think i'm more stats driven than you. Wiki says Crowell is 5'11 190, UGA website said he's 215. Either way he doesn't look or play as strong as Gurley. They have different games, which is what I was debating. Crowell is more Gio Bernard, Gurley is more Eddie Lacy. Who's more talented, I always lean the way of production.If you're this high on Crowell, then do you see him in the same light as Michael Dyer? aka another player you constantly pimp that was a high recruit that got kicked off of a team
I think you need to go back and actually watch some Crowell highlights. He is nothing like Bernard. He is a slashing power runner, not an open field scat back type. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW5uXm2NxekI don't think Crowell is as talented as Dyer. Dyer looked like a first round pick as a freshman. I had him rated above Lattimore. He wasn't quite as impressive in his sophomore year and then got kicked off the team. If he can get back to that 2010 level, he will be a top 15-20 NFL starter in the mold of somebody like Mendenhall.I don't rate Crowell quite that highly. I thought about taking him with the final dev pick in our deep end league last year, but passed in favor of Bernard. I wouldn't have done that if I thought Crowell was a lock first round talent. He has some flaws as a player. But he does a lot of things well and has the pedigree to be a pro back. You don't get ranked as a 5 star recruit and win the starting job as a true freshman at a school like Georgia without some talent. He will be in an NFL camp someday.
I've seen plenty of Crowell, thank you, and he's not a power back. Sure he has David Wilson moments of running so hard that he bounces off of defenders. But his game is picking, darting through lanes to create yardage. He avoids contact rather than initiating. I saw one of his games after he transferred and he looked even worse than at UGA, which made me think he wasn't that great of a prospect to start. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.Dyer has the thick build, I just think Cam Newton helped him out tremendously. He can play in the NFL, I just don't see the stardom. I'm also not overly high on Lattimore(even though I own him).

Don't take any of that as concrete. It's all preliminary at this point. I'm willing to listen to arguments if people favor one player over another. Having said that, Hill had a great debut season and was able to wrestle away a starting job from some pretty talented competition. He's got the right kind of frame for the NFL and showed a good combination of power and vision in the games that I saw. I especially liked his vision in the second level of the defense. He made some great plays once he got past the line of scrimmage. The one question mark I still have about him is footwork in tight spaces/lateral agility.

I view all these guys as talented, but none of them as flawless. I'll have a much more concrete feeling after watching another entire season of games next year. And like I said, with no top 4 devy picks this year, it's not a debate that really concerns me.
Compared to Yeldon taking away carries from the top RB in this draft class and other good Alabama recruits(Hart, Drake) or Gurley taking the starting job away from a higher recruited Marshall.I'm higher on Hill than I was before but he's not in the same class as Gurley/Yeldon.

Hill YPC 5.3, Gurley 6.3, Yeldon 6.5

Jeremy Hill vs Bama: 29 carries 107 yards 3.7 1 TD

Todd Gurley vs Bama: 23 carries 122 yards 5.3 2 TD
I'm probably one of the most stats-driven people in here, but just pointing at YPC and player's performances in one game in particular and basing an argument on that is silly.

Users who are viewing this thread