What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] How high do you rank Cam Newton? (1 Viewer)

where the heck is bradford on your lists! Talk about flavor of the week type rankings with some of you.
In the top 10? Bradford never deserved to be in the top 10.
i'm not going to say you can;t have an opinion, but your opinion of bradford not being a top 10 dynasty QB is about as wrong as an opinion can get.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I have a feeling that no matter what top-ten list you throw out there with Bradford on it, you're going to have to leave someone off the list that I think deserves it over Bradford. I think he's top-12, at best. Which does nothing for me. I can get a Fitzpatrick, Henne, Sanchez, Eli type of QB to give me borderline top-12 QB production every year, hot dynasty name or not. Bradford's more sizzle than steak, as my uncle says. And his value in dynasty reflects that. He's not worth acquiring for the points he'll be able to put up over the next 2-3 years, and that's even if you believe he's destined for a great career at any point.

Last edited by a moderator:
where the heck is bradford on your lists! Talk about flavor of the week type rankings with some of you.
How quickly do you think the Rams can acquire an above-average OL, a play-making WR or two, and a RB to replace Jackson? Because that team is a mess. And if you've watched the Rams this year, you'd know that "talent over situation" might not apply here with Bradford, because no matter how good he looks, he's not going to be very FF relevant for a couple years. He can't overcome his current situation, and that has to be taken into account.
this is dynasty right? The lions did it in a few years. So can StL.

i'm not going to say you can;t have an opinion, but your opinion of bradford not being a top 10 dynasty QB is about as wrong as an opinion can get.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I have a feeling that no matter what top-ten list you throw out there with Bradford on it, you're going to have to leave someone off the list that I think deserves it over Bradford. I think he's top-12, at best. Which does nothing for me. I can get a Fitzpatrick, Henne, Sanchez, Eli type of QB to give me borderline top-12 QB production every year, hot dynasty name or not. More sizzle than steak, as my uncle says.
You want play the Henne and Sanchez game in a dynasty league over Sam Bradford? Reeeeealllly??

I'm not sure I agree with this. I have a feeling that no matter what top-ten list you throw out there with Bradford on it, you're going to have to leave someone off the list that I think deserves it over Bradford. I think he's top-12, at best. Which does nothing for me. I can get a Fitzpatrick, Henne, Sanchez, Eli type of QB to give me borderline top-12 QB production every year, hot dynasty name or not. More sizzle than steak, as my uncle says.
You want play the Henne and Sanchez game in a dynasty league over Sam Bradford? Reeeeealllly??
I didn't say that. I said that I could find a QB of that caliber to start for VERY cheap over the next 3 years, and they'd produce right there with Bradford. Does that sound like a top-ten dynasty QB? He costs more than he's worth, right now, and you can get comparable production for very cheap. He's got the name and the value, but not the worth, realistically.In most formats, Newton has already produced HALF of what Bradford did his entire rookie season...in a quarter of a season. Its not even a debate between the two right now, I don't think.

There are no QBs you could trade him for besides Rodgers who offer the same kind of difference-maker potential in dynasty. Brady and Brees are great right now, but how much longer. Players like Rivers and Ben are fantastic in real life, but not really guys who are going to win you FF leagues.
Vick won a ton of leagues last year.
He looks like an instant star. The Randy Moss of QBs.
Ultimately QBs are judged in the NFL on W-L and so far Carolina hasn't beat anybody. Not that they should be at this point, but they are throwing caution to the wind in order to let Cam feel his way into being a great NFL QB. Ultimately they will have to turn this experiment into winning NFL games, not just stats. Moss can be judged purely on stats and dominating athletic ability. Newton will have to win games. If the team is 5-11 this year will they still air it out next year? Or will they run less shotgun and try to change him? You can hope for pinball stats for the next ten years, but it's not guaranteed. What kind of stats will Tebow put up if he runs a John Fox system? Perhaps that is the extreme, but it might give an indication of Newton's floor.

At this point, Cam is the most impressive rookie in NFL history. Combine his ability to run with his cannon for an arm, and we finally might have the running QB that "revolutionizes the NFL" that we thought Vick and Young might be.

1 Rodgers2 Newton3 Brady4 Brees5 Stafford6 Vick7 Rivers8 Romo9 Rothlisberger10 RyanNext best: Freeman, Schaub, Bradford, EliIt is quite easy to come up with 10 dynasty QBs that I'd rather have than Bradford... and I'm a Bradford fan.

1 Rodgers2 Newton3 Brady4 Brees5 Stafford6 Vick7 Rivers8 Romo9 Rothlisberger10 RyanNext best: Freeman, Schaub, Bradford, EliIt is quite easy to come up with 10 dynasty QBs that I'd rather have than Bradford... and I'm a Bradford fan.
There are some other guys not listed that could be as well. What happens next year when Luck comes out. I think most people would knock Bradford down another spot. He's just not that good... despite many in the SP trying to tell us that.

I can't really see anyone outside of Rodgers being ranking above Cam in dynasty now that we've seen a decent sample out of Cam.Is Cam the clear #2 dynasty QB now?
I think so.Who would you trade him for?There are no QBs you could trade him for besides Rodgers who offer the same kind of difference-maker potential in dynasty. Brady and Brees are great right now, but how much longer. Players like Rivers and Ben are fantastic in real life, but not really guys who are going to win you FF leagues. What I'm more curious about now is Newton's overall dynasty ranking. Which WRs and RBs would you trade him for? I have him in a couple leagues and it would be really hard to part with him. He looks like an instant star. The Randy Moss of QBs.
I agree on all counts. Rodgers is safer, and there is a lot of value in certainty. That said, if you told me one would warrant the #1 dynasty pick in the next couple years, the clear answer is Newton. His potential is uncapped. As for his overall value, I own him in a MOX league (as RB heavy as it gets) and I would only trade him for the top 7 RBs and #7 (MJD) is a tough one.

1 Rodgers2 Newton

3 Brady

4 Brees

5 Stafford

6 Vick

7 Rivers

8 Romo

9 Rothlisberger

10 Ryan

Next best: Freeman, Schaub, Bradford, Eli

It is quite easy to come up with 10 dynasty QBs that I'd rather have than Bradford... and I'm a Bradford fan.
There are some other guys not listed that could be as well. What happens next year when Luck comes out. I think most people would knock Bradford down another spot. He's just not that good... despite many in the SP trying to tell us that.
good lord man, are you serious? Not that good? He was the number 1 pick in the draft and won rookie of the year on the worst team in the league in 2010. It's almost like you are trying to convince people you dont know anything about football.

1 Rodgers2 Newton

3 Brady

4 Brees

5 Stafford

6 Vick

7 Rivers

8 Romo

9 Rothlisberger

10 Ryan

It is quite easy to come up with 10 dynasty QBs that I'd rather have than Bradford... and I'm a Bradford fan.
good lord man, are you serious? Not that good? He was the number 1 pick in the draft and won rookie of the year on the worst team in the league in 2010. It's almost like you are trying to convince people you dont know anything about football.
I see it as quite the opposite. Not that it matters, but you seem to be in the minority here. Bradford is a decent player but no way top 10 in fantasy, dynasty or not.

1 Rodgers2 Newton

3 Brady

4 Brees

5 Stafford

6 Vick

7 Rivers

8 Romo

9 Rothlisberger

10 Ryan

I think Bradford will be a good QB in the NFL, once the Rams get their stuff together in a couple years.I don't think he'll ever put up prolific fantasy numbers, which is what you need to justify a top-ten dynasty ranking right now. In fact, I like Gabbert more than Bradford in the long run.

Does that mean I don't know anything about football, or fantasy? You seem to have quite a large man-crush on Bradford.

1 Rodgers2 Newton

3 Brady

4 Brees

5 Stafford

6 Vick

7 Rivers

8 Romo

9 Rothlisberger

10 Ryan

I see it as quite the opposite. Not that it matters, but you seem to be in the minority here. Bradford is a decent player but no way top 10 in fantasy, dynasty or not.
I suppose you may be right. We can look back at it in the future. I don't Bradford in any leagues but now I am thinking I should make an offer. I have confidence that this kid is going to be one of the best qb;s in football over the next 10 years.

1 Rodgers2 Newton

3 Brady

4 Brees

5 Stafford

6 Vick

7 Rivers

8 Romo

9 Rothlisberger

10 Ryan

I think Bradford will be a good QB in the NFL, once the Rams get their stuff together in a couple years.I don't think he'll ever put up prolific fantasy numbers, which is what you need to justify a top-ten dynasty ranking right now. In fact, I like Gabbert more than Bradford in the long run.

Does that mean I don't know anything about football, or fantasy? You seem to have quite a large man-crush on Bradford.
On the cotrary, I don;t even own him. I think I should go make an offer though.

'thehornet said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
'thehornet said:
'jurb26 said:
'jonboltz said:
'thehornet said:
'jurb26 said:
'thehornet said:
1 Rodgers2 Newton

3 Brady

4 Brees

5 Stafford

6 Vick

7 Rivers

8 Romo

9 Rothlisberger

10 Ryan

On the cotrary, I don;t even own him. I think I should go make an offer though.
By all means, if that's what your gut tells you to do, do it. Dynasty is all about trusting your instincts on talent evaluation. If you're wrong, or if I'm wrong, we can only learn from it.

Got offered a mid-to-high 2nd and Andre Caldwell, couldn't hit reject fast enough. Not sure if that owner really thought I'd accept something like that?

Well, just a personal anecdote that no one cares about, but thought I'd share.

Just went all in on Newton in one of my dynasty leagues, by trading Stafford.

Traded

Stafford

Shaun Hill

for

Turner (have Quizz, who I like as his replacement)

Alex Smith

2012 1st (Team is currently 0-4 with a terrible, old roster)

This trade was made to add a top-3 pick to my already pretty loaded team, and to help me win now with Turner.

My studs are now

Newton

CJ2K, Turner, Ingram

Megatron, Nicks, Wallace, Austin

Finley

I feel pretty good about it, although I'll miss Stafford. But I'm all in on Newton now. Worse comes to worst, if Newton comes back down to earth too often this year and I start to question my #2-3 dynasty ranking on him, I'll draft Luck or Griffin, whoever I like more that declares in the 1st. But most likely, I'll be gunning for Richardson, assuming the season goes as many expect and he's the best RB prospect since Peterson/DMC. I think there's a very good chance this pick is 1st overall.

/self-indulgence

Well, just a personal anecdote that no one cares about, but thought I'd share. Just went all in on Newton in one of my dynasty leagues, by trading Stafford.Traded Stafford Shaun Hillfor Turner (have Quizz, who I like as his replacement)Alex Smith 2012 1st (Team is currently 0-4 with a terrible, old roster)This trade was made to add a top-3 pick to my already pretty loaded team, and to help me win now with Turner.My studs are nowNewtonCJ2K, Turner, IngramMegatron, Nicks, Wallace, AustinFinleyI feel pretty good about it, although I'll miss Stafford. But I'm all in on Newton now. Worse comes to worst, if Newton comes back down to earth too often this year and I start to question my #2-3 dynasty ranking on him, I'll draft Luck or Griffin, whoever I like more that declares in the 1st. But most likely, I'll be gunning for Richardson, assuming the season goes as many expect and he's the best RB prospect since Peterson/DMC. I think there's a very good chance this pick is 1st overall./self-indulgence
That's a bargain for Stafford.

Well, just a personal anecdote that no one cares about, but thought I'd share. Just went all in on Newton in one of my dynasty leagues, by trading Stafford.Traded Stafford Shaun Hillfor Turner (have Quizz, who I like as his replacement)Alex Smith 2012 1st (Team is currently 0-4 with a terrible, old roster)This trade was made to add a top-3 pick to my already pretty loaded team, and to help me win now with Turner.My studs are nowNewtonCJ2K, Turner, IngramMegatron, Nicks, Wallace, AustinFinleyI feel pretty good about it, although I'll miss Stafford. But I'm all in on Newton now. Worse comes to worst, if Newton comes back down to earth too often this year and I start to question my #2-3 dynasty ranking on him, I'll draft Luck or Griffin, whoever I like more that declares in the 1st. But most likely, I'll be gunning for Richardson, assuming the season goes as many expect and he's the best RB prospect since Peterson/DMC. I think there's a very good chance this pick is 1st overall./self-indulgence
Maybe, but that 1st will be top-3, and likely #1 overall. So I don't mind losing a little value, to make my chances of winning this year better, and to get a high pick like that. Plus, I'm sending Stafford to a non-factor team in another division. He won't be coming back to bite me there.

Got offered a mid-to-high 2nd and Andre Caldwell, couldn't hit reject fast enough. Not sure if that owner really thought I'd accept something like that?
LOL. I offered a team Rex Grossman and two 2012 fourths for two 2012 thirds. The owner countered with Cam Newton and two 2012 fourths for two 2012 thirds. This happened like 3 or 4 days after I traded Marques Colston to get Cam Newton. This does tell me the other owner likes Newton though it's hard to tell how much with an offer like this. I'd said I'd consider trading Cam Newton in a multi player deal to acquire Calvin Johnson.

Maybe, but that 1st will be top-3, and likely #1 overall. So I don't mind losing a little value, to make my chances of winning this year better, and to get a high pick like that. Plus, I'm sending Stafford to a non-factor team in another division. He won't be coming back to bite me there.

I love top 3 picks, they're great. However, when you look at value trading Stafford for a first rounder is not good value. I understand it's very hard to trade quarterbacks in a 12-team league and expect fair market value in return, but you're banking on that draft pick hitting big time in order to benefit at all in that deal (although Turner has a chance to win you a title this year, but that's under the assumption Cam is not going to regress late in year).

Sure, Richardson looks great, or Jeffrey/Blackmon, but nothing's guaranteed.

I do respect deals like this and as a former owner of Cam who has Rodgers, maybe I could've done something as wild.

What? In a 12 team league. The new Stafford owner got destroyed. Stafford is not worth a top 3 Rookie pick alone, let alone Turner + in addition.

I love top 3 picks, they're great. However, when you look at value trading Stafford for a first rounder is not good value. I understand it's very hard to trade quarterbacks in a 12-team league and expect fair market value in return, but you're banking on that draft pick hitting big time in order to benefit at all in that deal (although Turner has a chance to win you a title this year, but that's under the assumption Cam is not going to regress late in year). Sure, Richardson looks great, or Jeffrey/Blackmon, but nothing's guaranteed.I do respect deals like this and as a former owner of Cam who has Rodgers, maybe I could've done something as wild.
Trent Richardson is worth more than Stafford RIGHT NOW in leagues with Devy picks. If he is good enough to warrant a top 3 rookie pick next season, he will be wroth a lot more than Stafford...and Rivers...and Romo...Add Turner to that and it is a no-brainer.

What? In a 12 team league. The new Stafford owner got destroyed. Stafford is not worth a top 3 Rookie pick alone, let alone Turner + in addition.
filler

filler
Top 3 pick > Turner > Stafford

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've got a strong enough roster right now that adding Turner should put me over the top, even if Newton regresses...which would still make him a top-ten QB. And I've still got Ingram in the wings, and potentially adding Richardson on top of that, Stafford's value isn't that close.I think its decent value for Stafford, especially taking into account that its REALLY hard to move any QB in a 12 team league for fair value. But I thought I won that trade, when put into context, pretty handily.

OK, so let's debate whether a top 3 pick is that much greater than Stafford alone.

Let's say a current fantasy sports writer who used to frequent these parts ranks Stafford at 25.

Is T-Rich, Blackmon or Jeffrey/Luck that much higher?

Also, very few leagues already know who the worst team in the league is AND that person needs a QB. Not sure through 4 weeks you can know who the bottom team is unless there are clearly cellar dwellers already which is unfortunate.

OK, so let's debate whether a top 3 pick is that much greater than Stafford alone.Let's say a current fantasy sports writer who used to frequent these parts ranks Stafford at 25. Is T-Rich, Blackmon or Jeffrey/Luck that much higher?
When taking positional value into account, if you believe in whichever of those rookies, then yes.Would you say that Green, Jones, or Ingram is worth more than Stafford right now? I know that Ingram is "disappointing" thus far. And I value Blackmon and Richardson above all three of this past years studs.

OK, so let's debate whether a top 3 pick is that much greater than Stafford alone.Let's say a current fantasy sports writer who used to frequent these parts ranks Stafford at 25. Is T-Rich, Blackmon or Jeffrey/Luck that much higher?
When taking positional value into account, if you believe in whichever of those rookies, then yes.Would you say that Green, Jones, or Ingram is worth more than Stafford right now? I know that Ingram is "disappointing" thus far. And I value Blackmon and Richardson above all three of this past years studs.
Hard to say not knowing their future situations, and I don't play in developmental leagues. I'd say their even at best not clear-cut rookie > Stafford.When Brees, Vick and Brady retire or just get older, Stafford's a top QB with Rodgers.

Hard to say not knowing their future situations, and I don't play in developmental leagues. I'd say their even at best not clear-cut rookie > Stafford.When Brees, Vick and Brady retire or just get older, Stafford's a top QB with Rodgers.
Okay, fair enough. But taking "even at best", and adding Turner+ to it, doesn't that make it not a "bargain for Stafford"? Especially if you're an old team that's 0-4, and already has Freeman. That's the context for the other team.And we'll see if Stafford hit's Rodger's level. I think its possible, but I also already have Newton, who I value below Rodgers right now, and above everyone else.Its like having Rodgers and Brady in a start-1 QB league. What's the use in having them both? Its a waste of resources NOT to flip one for something that can help you win now and in the future.

OK, so let's debate whether a top 3 pick is that much greater than Stafford alone.Let's say a current fantasy sports writer who used to frequent these parts ranks Stafford at 25. Is T-Rich, Blackmon or Jeffrey/Luck that much higher?Also, very few leagues already know who the worst team in the league is AND that person needs a QB. Not sure through 4 weeks you can know who the bottom team is unless there are clearly cellar dwellers already which is unfortunate.
There is not much of a debate to have. A simple look at the startup drafts will put this argument to rest, fast. Green, Jones, and Ingram regularly went before Rivers, who still has more value than Stafford. There is one QB worth more than the 1.01 in a rookie draft, right now, in a 12 team league and his name is Aaron Rodgers. Cam could join that list very as soon as a few weeks from now.

Yeah, just gave my opinion. Not sure why he did it but don't think an owner should care what I say if I think it's a good deal for the other guy. If he had Manning/Kolb, then that's good value for Stafford. With Freeman I don't know why he make the deal. I was just commenting on the players involved.

Like I said, it'll all work out. Gotta go!

I think he might be underrated in dynasty. I say might because I can only go off what happens in my dynasty leagues, and what I read here.

I am sniffing around every Newton owner I can in all my leagues, and they all are willing to listen. This is a little surprising to me. If you lay down the facts, all he has accomplished, and the hurdles/obstacles he has overcome, I personally believe he is an untouchable in dynasty leagues. If I owned him, I would not trade him. I wouldn't even listen.

1. One year of 1-A college starting experience. Anyone remember the fascinating stats regarding the number of college starts for college QBs, and the bust rate was massive below a certain number? 35 or something? Yeah. 14 starts. 1 season.

2. In that one year of college experience, he ran that weird shotgun option offense. He had to learn to play under center, let alone read NFL defenses. This guy was not groomed for the NFL by some NFL offensive coordinator.

3. Mini-camp? He didn't get one. Didn't get to throw a pass to his NFL teammates until August. He wasn't one of those draft picks that signs early, and gets months with the coaches before he actually has to play. This fact is getting a bit lost in everything, but it's a pretty big deal. Quick story: Friend of a friend is Matt Ryan. The day Matt Ryan got drafted, that night, he met Arthur Blank in New York. Shakes his hand, and Blank says, "pack your bags". He was in Atlanta before the first round was over, had a playbook, and was meeting with his QB coach that night. Cam didn't get that.

4. Joined a terrible team. A team that had been the worst team in the league the previous year, and was considered a favorite to repeat as worst NFL team. Not on ANYONE's preseason sleeper list. One old WR, a bunch of other WRs no one could name, the cupboard was bare. My god, the Panthers fans on this board were about as negative as fans could be.

So this one-year college wonder, who was locked out of his own team for 4 months, and basically had a month before he led the worst team in the league on the field as a starter, has turned the NFL into his own version of Madden 98 set to 'rookie', and people are trading him? Where does the doubt come from?

I don't really care where it comes from, my guess is that it still comes from preconceived notions from last spring, and the distaste of that whole thing with his father, and whatever Auburn was giving away.

Now, I don't think 400 yards is gonna happen often for him. It's never happened before, probably a bad bet to think he's gonna throw for 5,000 yards this season. But ya know, when Marino did it, it was in his 2nd year.

This lunatic has thrown for over 370 yards in 3 of his first 4 games! Something John Elway (best QB prospect of all time) didn't do in his first 170 NFL games. It took Elway 10 years to do what Cam did 3 times in a month.

I don't think people are excited enough about him. What happens when Carolina puts a good team around him? As a QB, the assumption has to be that this is the worst Cam Newton will ever be. He is going to learn to read defenses, make better decisions, yada yada yada.

I think his ceiling is: Best fantasy QB that has ever played the game.

You have to think that Carolina will make changes this offseason to get more weapons around Cam. Their RB position is stacked and they have a ton of money to spend so that money will go towards receiving targets. They are 1-4 now, so a top 10 pick is pretty likely and the receivers in the 2012 draft look pretty awesome.

Even if they do make changes to improve that defense, it's got a long way to go, so he'll be playing from behind a lot in his career.

You also have to think that he will improve with a full season of NFL off-season conditioning and study.

I traded for him last week in my main dynasty league (got him from the Rodgers owner) and I think the only QB I'd consider trading him for his Rodgers. In the first 4 weeks of his career he is the #4 overall player in that league. With his 28 points this week, he'll probably stay there.

Is there anyone left who doesn't have him as the #1 or #2 dynasty qb?
I hope so, so that I can buy from them in the leagues I don't have him in. I moved Stafford and went all-in on Newton in one league 3 weeks ago or so. Haven't regretted it one bit.

#1 ahead of Rodgers?
I'm not sure. But the fact that you're even asking the question means that he could be, for many people. I like to take risks, and he's a blast to watch. So for me, yeah I think Newton is the #1 dynasty QB.And I'm not even worried about his longevity as a fantasy stud. Because even in 6-7 years when he runs less, he'll be an elite passer. He's got such a rare arm, its incredible to watch.

I would take Rodgers in a heartbeat, I am worried about Cam's health.
If I recall Rodgers broke his leg the first time he saw nfl action. He has also has his share of concusions. Point being that injury risk is pretty much the same for both or any QB for that matter. The risks Cam takes now are the same Rodgers faced early in his career. I love Cam. I went all in on him after his week one performance. Cost me Kolb, Hillis, and a 2012 first round rookie pick. When I watched him play week one that stuck out the most was him arm strength and effortless play. He is not from this world.

I think his ceiling is: Best fantasy QB that has ever played the game.
He has the potential to be the best fantasy asset ever. When you think about guys like LT and Randy Moss - they were great, league winning assets. But what they did to get those points, so did everyone else. They didn't get extra points for a skill set that the rest of the NFL couldn't offer. Cam does. His poor games become average games; his average games become great, and his great games...something else. He was on pace for the 5th best fantasy season for a QB ever, before this last game, and I don't think that changed much. All of this as a rookie, without a WR2, without a training camp, with one year of high level college football...As for his health - what concerns? He doesn't take many hits. He slides, he gets out of bounds, and on the goal line, he isn't getting blasted, simply tackled. On top of that - as the announcer pointed out when he was sacked by Bryan freaking Orakpo - Cam is as big as most of the guys tackling him. This is not Michael Vick we are dealing with. Dynasty: In leagues with 4pt passing TDs, Cam is a more valuable than Aaron Rodgers. In 6pt passing leagues - I am tempted to say the same. Ladies and gentlemen: We haven't seen anything like this. It is going to be fun to watch. As a FF player, I am as proud of owning him as any player, in the leagues in which I do. And feel as sick for missing out on him in the leagues that I don't. As an NFL fan, I am happy he is not in my division and somewhat envious of Panther fans.

Users who are viewing this thread