What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: TE Tim Tebow, Jaguars (1 Viewer)

I think the Taysom Hill role is silly and a played out narrative. If Tebow were capable of that role he would have been in the league the last 8 years. How many other players have stepped in to do what Hill does? It’s extremely unique that even he can do that. 

Think about how precise you have to be to run routes in the NFL. If you’re half a yard off where you should be it’s an INT. And they’re trying this with a rookie quarterback back there. How is Tebow going to do this? Not to mention he’s never blocked anybody (all technique; he has none) and he probably runs a 4.9 40 now. This is so stupid. 

I think the Taysom Hill role is silly and a played out narrative. If Tebow were capable of that role he would have been in the league the last 8 years. How many other players have stepped in to do what Hill does? It’s extremely unique that even he can do that. 

Think about how precise you have to be to run routes in the NFL. If you’re half a yard off where you should be it’s an INT. And they’re trying this with a rookie quarterback back there. How is Tebow going to do this? Not to mention he’s never blocked anybody (all technique; he has none) and he probably runs a 4.9 40 now. This is so stupid. 
Sure. Also you don’t draft Trevor Lawrence and then mess with him by throwing Tebow in for a series or even a few plays a game. I think it’s pretty safe to say the over under of Tebow receptions this year is 0.5.

ETA: Take the under.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. Also you don’t draft Trevor Lawrence and then mess with him by throwing Tebow in for a series or even a few plays a game. I think it’s pretty safe to say the over under of Tebow receptions this year is 0.5.

Between his NFL and collegiate careers, his total # of receptions is 0. Under is the only way to bet.

I don't see it available now, but DraftKings had his o/u receiving TDs at 1.5 & receiving yards at 180.5. I took the under on both.

As I said in the Urban Meyer thread- he is the perfect familiar face for his college coach to invite to camp. He's a heckuva leader, awesome study habits and work ethic, and knows the terminology.

He's top five in jersey sales already and will take attention away from the new coach and QB so they're not as much under the microscope. They probably make his salary back in jersey sales.

Quit getting upset that he's not a great TE. No one ever said he was. Quit getting upset he threw dozens of passes in the dirt, he's playing TE.

He's a camp body.

America loves Tebow and you've known it for at least a decade. Get over it. We have a lot of negative press and negative topics post covid. It won't hurt ya to watch a good guy have some fun. What do the Jags have to root for while rebuilding? Let them enjoy their summer before the losses start piling up. 

brun said:
I don't see it available now, but DraftKings had his o/u receiving TDs at 1.5 & receiving yards at 180.5. I took the under on both.
It’s still there but TDs are down to .5 and receiving yards are much lower - I took the under on both but only made small bets because the odds are terrible. The under was something like -325, so the risk (even minimal) isn’t worth the reward.

It’s still there but TDs are down to .5 and receiving yards are much lower - I took the under on both but only made small bets because the odds are terrible. The under was something like -325, so the risk (even minimal) isn’t worth the reward.
Weird. I still don't see it.

FWIW - I got -200 for under 1.5 receiving TDs & -115 for unders 180.5 yards receiving.

All my bets are small. Typically $5-$10. Just a little fun. Not getting rich or going broke.

Tim Tebow makes transition for Jaguars; Trevor Lawrence makes rookie mistakes

Excerpt:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Tim Tebow looked like a ... tight end.

Trevor Lawrence looked like a ... rookie quarterback.

And that pretty much sums up the Jacksonville Jaguars’ organized team activity on Thursday, which was the first open to the media. Tebow’s transition from quarterback seems to be going smoothly, which unfortunately was not the way things went for Lawrence at times during the two-hour workout at the practice fields adjacent to TIAA Bank Field.

Tebow got extra coaching after several reps during blocking drills and at times looked a little hesitant or a half-step behind in others. But he caught every pass thrown his way, including two that went for touchdowns: one from Lawrence and another from Gardner Minshew.

“[He’s] one in 90 trying to make the team,” coach Urban Meyer said of Tebow, who is little more than a week into his career as a tight end. “He has improved. It’s all new for him.”

One good thing for the Jaguars is Tebow hasn’t been a distraction, which seemed to be one of the criticisms levied at the team and Meyer after Jacksonville signed the former Heisman Trophy winner.

“Obviously, everybody knows the type of worker that he is and it’s no different,” said wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr., who was the team’s oldest player (31) until the 33-year-old Tebow signed May 20. “He came in here and fit right in, just working and learning and stuff like that. In the back, when he’s not in, he’s looking at the plays and running extra and doing what he needs to do to get this new position going.

“So it’s been good to have him here, most definitely.”

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Jaguars TE Tim Tebow could be used in a "Taysom Hill role" this season. 

That escalated quickly. "There are people in camp right now who strongly believe the reason why Urban Meyer brought Tim Tebow in is not to play tight end, but actually to use him in that utility role, that Taysom Hill role that we see Sean Payton use in New Orleans," Russini said Friday on ESPN. "In terms of comparing the two, we always talk about on this show how much Sean Payton loves Taysom Hill. It's been very obvious over the years. That same kind of love is what Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer have between each other. It could be a very similar situation, but in terms of football, this is something we could be seeing." There was always potential for head coach Urban Meyer to deploy the former QB as a short yardage bulldozer in Jacksonville. Such a role for Tebow -- who rushed for 12 touchdowns in two seasons with the Broncos -- could be a major thorn for Trevor Lawrence's fantasy value, along with whichever Jaguars running back takes short yardage duties. Tebow's chances of making the Jags roster are far higher than most observers believed a couple weeks ago. 

RELATED: 

Trevor Lawrence

SOURCE: CBSSports.com

May 28, 2021, 10:21 AM ET

I was willing to give Meyer the benefit of the doubt and say he was doing Tebow a solid by giving him a camp tryout (and then gracefully cut him). But if the plan really is to bring him in and use him? ¡Ay, caramba! 

To recap, Tebow last threw a pass in the NFL 9 years ago when he was on the Jets (and was 25). His YPC was 3.2 and his YPA was only slightly above that . . . at 4.9. And let's not forget that TT has a career completion percentage of just 47.9%. Oh, in his one season as a starter in DEN, he led the league in fumbles with 14 in 11 starts.

The Jags just drafted the highest rated rookie QB to come out in ages (if not ever). Let's take him off the field and give snaps to the guy that last played when Lawrence was in middle school. I am sure all those years playing minor league baseball really upped TT's NFL quarterbacking skills.

I will still believe Tebow makes the team when I see it, and I am hoping this is media driven and is totally overstating Tebow's chances of both making the final roster and actually contributing. If I am a Jags opponent, I would welcome any play that Lawrence is on the sideline in favor of Tebow.

The thing that makes no sense is Lawrence is faster and more athletic than Tebow at this point. How does it make any sense to put him in at QB, even just to run the ball?

Likely so he doesn't get hurt.
Maybe, but you can only do so much to protect a player and Lawrence is pretty big.

I just see this as a poor idea from any angle. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a good way to ruin a young QB, but it doesn’t seem like the best way to inspire confidence.

Maybe, but you can only do so much to protect a player and Lawrence is pretty big.

I just see this as a poor idea from any angle. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a good way to ruin a young QB, but it doesn’t seem like the best way to inspire confidence.

As Bill Belichick would say, tell me which play a player will get hurt and I'll take him out for that one play. As you indicated, Lawrence can likely do anything Tebow can do but better. Lawrence is 6'6", 230ish, and is said to have run the forty in 4.77. Tebow is 6'3", 230ish, and ran a 4.8 forty a zillion years ago. Taysom Hill runs a 4.4 forty.  I have my doubts what Tebow can do better than Lawrence. As we both agree, anytime Lawrence comes off the field for Tebow, defenses will be much happier.

It also makes less sense when you stop and consider that the plays they would be bringing in Tebow (one would guess in the red zone) are the most important plays when getting points on the scoreboard hang in the balance. I might be more inclined to get on board if Meyer wanted Tebow to come in on third or forth and very short at midfield and the plan was for him to get that hard to get yard (and give Lawrence a breather). I can't find any stats on how Tebow did in converting short yardage running situations, but I am guessing he probably did ok. But overall, I think the Jags could find a much better use of a roster spot than keeping Tebow around for a handful of specialty plays or very specific game situations.

As Bill Belichick would say, tell me which play a player will get hurt and I'll take him out for that one play. As you indicated, Lawrence can likely do anything Tebow can do but better. Lawrence is 6'6", 230ish, and is said to have run the forty in 4.77. Tebow is 6'3", 230ish, and ran a 4.8 forty a zillion years ago. Taysom Hill runs a 4.4 forty.  I have my doubts what Tebow can do better than Lawrence. As we both agree, anytime Lawrence comes off the field for Tebow, defenses will be much happier.

It also makes less sense when you stop and consider that the plays they would be bringing in Tebow (one would guess in the red zone) are the most important plays when getting points on the scoreboard hang in the balance. I might be more inclined to get on board if Meyer wanted Tebow to come in on third or forth and very short at midfield and the plan was for him to get that hard to get yard (and give Lawrence a breather). I can't find any stats on how Tebow did in converting short yardage running situations, but I am guessing he probably did ok. But overall, I think the Jags could find a much better use of a roster spot than keeping Tebow around for a handful of specialty plays or very specific game situations.
He may want utility backup fullback type. Not like he will threaten Lawrence. Injury policy. 

I may be spitballing here, but if Meyer loves Tebow so much why not just make him some sort of assistant coach?  He can still instill that locker room ethos, but nobody has to pretend he's going to be taking touches from a young skill position group that's basically using this year as a practice for two seasons from now anyway.

Some nuggets of sanity in this article from someone called Nick Wright on something called First Things First:

"I warned you Jacksonville," Wright said. "I said be careful what you wish for. You just might get it, and look, all of a sudden … they're talking about taking [Trevor Lawrence] off of the field to put a 33-year old failed left fielder on the field. That sounds fun? No, it doesn't! But this is what happens. Tebow gets inside the organization, and he just grows and grows and grows, and fans are gonna be chanting for him, and he’s gonna enchant some teammates. There’s no doubt about it. … more power to him for that, but the only problem is, he’s not good at the football part, and it’s a football team."

Wright and Marshall’s co-host Kevin Wildes proposed a situation in which he could see Tebow successfully being used this season.

"If it’s Chiefs-Jaguars, and it’s third-and-one, would you feel more comfortable as a Chiefs fan if Trevor Lawrence is out there, or if all of a sudden Trevor Lawrence starts jogging to the sideline and here comes Tebow?" Wildes said. "I think your defense [would] be like ‘uh, oh, what’s going to happen here?’ and I think that little bit of confusion is what Urban Meyer is counting on."

"Put a Golden Retriever out there! … Put a Polar Bear on ice skates, and they’d be like ‘Huh? This seems weird,’" Wright replied. "But then they’d be like ‘Oh, he can’t throw and he’s not good at football, so we’ll figure it out.’ 

😂 

Some nuggets of sanity in this article from someone called Nick Wright on something called First Things First:
I read an article where he was doing well with his routes and caught the ball well, but DEs were blowing him up. He went right I the coach to ask technique Qs, got blown up, next time he got it, next play the DE did a different technique and he got blown up....same.

After this they gave him some gimmicky plays.

That could very well also be to give him some confidence by doing something familiar. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
The weirdest thing about this entire situation is the amount of people who are actively rooting against Tebow. 

I for one hope he makes the team and does well. 
I don't care either way to be honest, but my gut tells me he does not make the team.

I was willing to give Meyer the benefit of the doubt and say he was doing Tebow a solid by giving him a camp tryout (and then gracefully cut him). But if the plan really is to bring him in and use him? ¡Ay, caramba! 

To recap, Tebow last threw a pass in the NFL 9 years ago when he was on the Jets (and was 25). His YPC was 3.2 and his YPA was only slightly above that . . . at 4.9. And let's not forget that TT has a career completion percentage of just 47.9%. Oh, in his one season as a starter in DEN, he led the league in fumbles with 14 in 11 starts.

The Jags just drafted the highest rated rookie QB to come out in ages (if not ever). Let's take him off the field and give snaps to the guy that last played when Lawrence was in middle school. I am sure all those years playing minor league baseball really upped TT's NFL quarterbacking skills.

I will still believe Tebow makes the team when I see it, and I am hoping this is media driven and is totally overstating Tebow's chances of both making the final roster and actually contributing. If I am a Jags opponent, I would welcome any play that Lawrence is on the sideline in favor of Tebow.
If anyone can work a 2 guy System it's Urban Meyer. Only time I ever saw it remotely successful for the overall team was Tebow's Freshman year at Florida. I hate Urban the person but as a football coach sometimes I just don't question him. He's already wanting to put Shenault in the role I thought he should play in the NFL as a Percy Harvin type Hybrid HB/WR which is what they seem to want Travis Etienne to be as well. We'll see how this works but no one will say this won't be entertaining. 

I honestly wouldn't listen to anything that clown says. I bet if any of what The Jags do ends up working Wright will make excuses why it worked that would try and discredit it. Throughout the 2017 season when the Eagles won the SB he couldn't credit the Eagles on one thing. Dude needs to stick to calling/covering fixed corrupt boxing 

The weirdest thing about this entire situation is the amount of people who are actively rooting against Tebow. 

I for one hope he makes the team and does well. 
A hard working guy whos also Christian, never has been in trouble and followed his dreams it's crazy the amount of hate he gets and it goes all the way back to College. I knew some people at Florida and talk online with the one guy who runs the AllKindsofWeather Florida blog. Tim never liked the hoopla himself just wanted to be left alone at school. 

My guesses on the people who hate or root against him:

Colin Kaepernick Fans (Obvious reasons)

Any fan of a Florida college team not named The Florida Gators Tebow Destroyed

Jealous people who hate seeing certain people succeed but are the same people who root for all the players with horrible backgrounds and red flags

People who just root and watch for failure. 

Other than that not sure how anyone can hate the guy. If you don't like the coverage don't be mad at Tim. Be mad at the networks and journalists and call them out. Don't take it out on Tebow himself. I was always curious why this guy got so much hate going back to College. The guy was more hated by People yet Johnny Manziel was more well liked by College and NFL Fans and I said at the time he's a poor man Tebow without the work ethic and won't be as successful. 

DJackson10 said:
A hard working guy whos also Christian, never has been in trouble and followed his dreams it's crazy the amount of hate he gets and it goes all the way back to College. I knew some people at Florida and talk online with the one guy who runs the AllKindsofWeather Florida blog. Tim never liked the hoopla himself just wanted to be left alone at school. 

My guesses on the people who hate or root against him:

Any fan of a Florida college team not named The Florida Gators Tebow Destroyed

Jealous people who hate seeing certain people succeed but are the same people who root for all the players with horrible backgrounds and red flags

People who just root and watch for failure. 

Other than that not sure how anyone can hate the guy. If you don't like the coverage don't be mad at Tim. Be mad at the networks and journalists and call them out. Don't take it out on Tebow himself. I was always curious why this guy got so much hate going back to College. The guy was more hated by People yet Johnny Manziel was more well liked by College and NFL Fans and I said at the time he's a poor man Tebow without the work ethic and won't be as successful. 
Well I find him tedious and I’m a believer (for clarity: in Christ Jesus, not Tebow.) I like rich folks who do good things without calling any attention to themselves. Jesus said to do good works in secret and don’t be a show off about it. When you do something good just for the praise and adulation of others, then that’s your only reward. Because you’re being a bit of a glory thief. Do it without anyone noticing, then you’re doing it to glorify God. He sees you, and He will reward you in heaven.

OTOH, there’s a duality to it. When Andre Johnson posted that Toys R Us receipt of $38K from Black Friday - gifts he purchased to go to disadvantaged youth - that didn’t just make people feel good. I’m sure it was an inspiration and a challenge to other athletes to go and do likewise. Also, it’s worth noting Johnson did that for 5-6 years without telling anyone publicly before the viral post.

But if you’re a Christian - and TT seems to have a pretty solid biblically based faith - then I personally think it’s better to just be humble and give the credit to the One from whom all good things flow.

Years ago we took a famous person for a tour of homes devastated by Hurricane Sandy. These people’s lives were wiped out and of course the insurance companies were being stingy about payouts. This person spent several hours with us, and got to know the story of six different families. Just sat there listening and being empathetic. Didn’t promise them anything, didn’t have a photographer/videographer running around documenting it. In the next few weeks those six families received enough support to rebuild their homes. To this day that story has never made it to the media. To me, that’s the way to go about your business - just do good for the sake of doing good, not because you want everyone to say how awesome you are.

WRT TT as a FF prospect, I’m in agreement with Mike Clay’s projection. Not listed. He’s a 35 year old who left failure behind 9 years ago and now he’s playing a new position. He has no business being anywhere near the facility and his only connection with football should be as a coach or an analyst. IMHO.

I don't root against Tebow but by all rational measures, he's far more likely to wind up being the Eddie Gaedel of football than an actual "impact" player.

Well I find him tedious and I’m a believer (for clarity: in Christ Jesus, not Tebow.) I like rich folks who do good things without calling any attention to themselves. Jesus said to do good works in secret and don’t be a show off about it. When you do something good just for the praise and adulation of others, then that’s your only reward. Because you’re being a bit of a glory thief. Do it without anyone noticing, then you’re doing it to glorify God. He sees you, and He will reward you in heaven.

OTOH, there’s a duality to it. When Andre Johnson posted that Toys R Us receipt of $38K from Black Friday - gifts he purchased to go to disadvantaged youth - that didn’t just make people feel good. I’m sure it was an inspiration and a challenge to other athletes to go and do likewise. Also, it’s worth noting Johnson did that for 5-6 years without telling anyone publicly before the viral post.

But if you’re a Christian - and TT seems to have a pretty solid biblically based faith - then I personally think it’s better to just be humble and give the credit to the One from whom all good things flow.

Years ago we took a famous person for a tour of homes devastated by Hurricane Sandy. These people’s lives were wiped out and of course the insurance companies were being stingy about payouts. This person spent several hours with us, and got to know the story of six different families. Just sat there listening and being empathetic. Didn’t promise them anything, didn’t have a photographer/videographer running around documenting it. In the next few weeks those six families received enough support to rebuild their homes. To this day that story has never made it to the media. To me, that’s the way to go about your business - just do good for the sake of doing good, not because you want everyone to say how awesome you are.

WRT TT as a FF prospect, I’m in agreement with Mike Clay’s projection. Not listed. He’s a 35 year old who left failure behind 9 years ago and now he’s playing a new position. He has no business being anywhere near the facility and his only connection with football should be as a coach or an analyst. IMHO.

Matthew 7:1-3

I know I'm late to this party but wuuuut? Tebow was fun when he was first drafted (way too high).  But he's been out of football for years and was never anywhere near as good as Kaepernick was.  But we're at the point where neither of them are good enough to make a legit NFL roster, no matter the position.  Time catches up to everyone not named Tom Brady.

I know I'm late to this party but wuuuut? Tebow was fun when he was first drafted (way too high).  But he's been out of football for years and was never anywhere near as good as Kaepernick was.  But we're at the point where neither of them are good enough to make a legit NFL roster, no matter the position.  Time catches up to everyone not named Tom Brady.
I was pointing out the CK fans whining why Colin doesn't have a job. he was awful the last year or two and kind of burnt bridges with especially in the NFLPA with his temper tantrum with Eric Reid and taking their balls and going home attitude. I knew Malcom Jenkins Assistiant POS coach (Who was last year our Assistiant DC as well) and he said the NFL Union was not happy with Colin's display going after Jenkins and other well respected players. Had he not thrown his temper tantrum and filed lawsuit against the Union they probably would've defended him more. One of the biggest reasons Kap doesn't have a job other then Sucking is he burnt bridges with the Union as whole. 

Isn't the guy like 30 years old?  Why would you put him on a practice squad at that age to learn a position? Either he can play it or he can't.  Unless Meyer just wants to give him a paycheck, however small?
He will be 34 in August. 

One of the biggest reasons Kap doesn't have a job other then Sucking is he burnt bridges with the Union as whole. 
Not going to dive into your entire post, but terrible coaching & lack of talent at the skill positions surrounding him + injuries almost certainly depressed his numbers in his final season. 

His last full season he started 16 games, completed 60% of his passes for 3369 air yards and 19:10, while rushing for 649 yards & 1, including a rush of 90 yards. 

after that season, he started 9 games due to injury.  The following year (2016) Kaep had “in way over his head” Chip Kelly as HC, nobody OC Curtis Modkins who wanted to turn Kaep into a pocket passer, and a receiving corps of such “elite” receiving weapons as Jeremy Kerley, Vance McDonald, Quinten Patton & washed up never-was Torrey Smith, while starting behind a raggedy OL   :rolleyes:

if that’s not a recipe for QB success, I don’t know what is!
[/heavy mocking sarcasm tones]

Regardless of his issues with arguably the weakest supporting cast in the country, the problem people had with Kaepernick getting blackballed wasn’t that a “sucky” QB couldn’t get a job, it’s the a vast many QBs who sucked a LOT more than Kaepeenick’s worst season in terrible circumstances were getting jobs as backup QBs & he wasn’t even getting calls to try out anywhere for anything. He sued the NFL for it & they settled, presumably because they knew they’d lose. People defending Kaep’s situation weren’t “whiners”, they were correct. The man took a knee to raise awareness of police violence against people of color & was blackballed for it. And not for nothin, using the hindsight of several high profile killings of black men by police, he was sooooooo right. 

I look forward to your sincere retort about how teams in 2017 were sooooo much better off with Cooper Rush, Bryce Petty, Drew Stanton, Scott Tolzien, Austin Davis, Nathan Peterson, Jake Rudock, Landry Jones, Sean Mannion, C.J. Beathard, Caradale Jones, E.J. Manuel, Paxton Lynch, Ryan Mallett - do I really need to go on here? Every one of these absolute scrubs (and a dozen more just like them) had a job holding a clipboard at the start of the 2017, season, but a dude 3 years removed from a Super Bowl couldn’t even get a tryout.

You absolutely certain that didn’t have more to do with Kaepernick’s politics in a league that *just this year* halted the practice of collectively agreeing that concussions/CTE wasn’t as bad for black folks since they had inferior brains to begin with? Really?

C’mon. 

He will be 34 in August. 
A regular spring chicken! I bet he’s looking spry out there, too. 

I admire his passion for football. Sincerely. 

But if he gets assigned to the practice squad to learn to play TE, he should probably take the hint. 

Dude’s not a bad announcer. He’d be better off focusing on that. 

For context, some people are wondering if Zach Ertz is done at 30 and he is/was Zach Ertz. Why would Tebow have anything to offer at 34?
Ertz is “stick a fork in him” done at 30, and more to the point, was actually a very good NFL TE for a number of years. 

I can’t imagine Tebow amounts to anything more than a cheap headline grab, which I strongly suspect was the team’s intent.

Again - nothing against Tebow. He seems like a nice person & I admire his drive & passion for the game. 

Users who are viewing this thread