What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (3 Viewers)

It's more than a round difference though - a lot.  Diggs scored a whopping 43.0% of his points from receptions in PPR while finishing WR14.  Only one guy ahead of him was over 37%.  So he's got a lot more to lose than most do going to non-PPR.  I just ran my PPR league as a test with non-PPR and he finished WR26.  He's dropping a lot further than mid-5th.  For reference here's the top 30 WR sorted by PPG in non-PPR with their % of points they lost

Player     No-PPR    %
Brown, Antonio PIT WR    13.9    33.8%
Evans, Mike TBB WR    13.0    31.6%
Nelson, Jordy GBP WR    13.0    31.8%
Jones, Julio ATL WR    12.6    31.9%
Beckham, Odell NYG WR    12.5    33.6%
Hill, Tyreek KCC WR    12.2    23.8%
Green, A.J. CIN WR    12.0    35.4%
Hilton, T.Y. IND WR    11.4    33.2%
Thomas, Michael NOS WR    10.9    36.0%
Adams, Davante GBP WR    10.7    30.4%
Cooks, Brandin NOS WR    10.5    31.7%
Bryant, Dez DAL WR    10.0    27.8%
Baldwin, Doug SEA WR    10.0    37.0%
Crabtree, Michael OAK WR    9.4    37.2%
Cooper, Amari OAK WR    9.4    35.3%
Williams, Tyrell SDC WR    9.2    31.8%
Matthews, Rishard TEN WR    9.2    30.7%
Landry, Jarvis MIA WR    9.0    39.5%
Crowder, Jamison WAS WR    9.0    31.8%
Edelman, Julian NEP WR    8.7    41.3%
Lee, Marqise JAC WR    8.6    31.4%
Pryor, Terrelle CLE WR    8.6    36.0%
Britt, Kenny RAM WR    8.5    34.7%
Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR    8.5    39.8%
Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR    8.5    44.3%
Diggs, Stefon MIN WR    8.5    43.1%
Benjamin, Kelvin CAR WR    8.4    32.0%
Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR    8.3    37.2%
Jackson, DeSean WAS WR    8.3    31.0%
Smith, Steve FA WR    8.3    37.7%
Fair point.  In the PPR rankings he was not listed at WR 14 but WR 19.  Since seven of the 11 current choices are WR, it means that WR26 will go right around pick 5.3

One round later than he is currently ranked PPR.

Again, all I am discussing is the anecdotal info dealing with projections and rankings, not actual performance.  Folks just don't drop players as much as they should, apparently.

I

Last edited by a moderator:
If you told me a few years ago that Antonio Brown would be the highest scoring WR in non-PPR formats...
That exact thought has crossed my mind as well.  But that's really the only reason to even bother with him in non-PPR.  In the hopes that he's the next Antonio Brown.

More realistically, he feels like a guy who's absolute best-case scenario is Jarvis Landry, who is a low-end WR2 in non-PPR.  Low end WR2 as upside isn't exactly enticing which is why most non-PPR players aren't interested in him.  But there is that little inkling that maybe he'll be Antonio Brown that keeps his name out there.

I am not talking about Diggs specifically.  Since my favorite league is .5 point PPR what I do is take each online ranking that gives PPR slot and NonPPR rankings and compare them.  On FBG, for example, during the preseason you can apply PPR or NON PPR to their projections and suggested draft order.

Maybe you have seen things I have not, i don't know... but if I only have a PPR ranking on a page for a WR, I have found that dropping that player about a round for non-PPR gives a fair shot group for determining how that rater would view the player in Non-PPR.  That's my rule of thumb.

The polls we have been doing are only PPR, so I dropped it a round... that is how I reached the conclusion.  You can fault my methodology all you like... but I never criticized or even stated disagreement with anyone else's opinion so I do not understand the justification for the vitriol and sarcasm from you and FreeBaGel
I don't think you have to necessarily be directly addressing someone to disagree with them.  If someone is saying he probably won't pull in any 1st round pick and someone else is saying he'd probably pull in 1.07 at the latest and maybe better than that, then that is a disagreement.

Your approach is unique and it seems to be working for you in 0.5ppr.  How well does it apply to non-PPR?  We can't say for sure, but my own personal experience playing primarily non-PPR does not match up with it.

In actual practice in real leagues I can't move Diggs for an early 2nd, much less a mid-1st.  The other guys here who play non-PPR seem to be saying the same in regards to his value compared to a mid-1st.  I agree with Concept Coop that I think a lot of these "non-PPR rankers" are just guys who don't play non-PPR and are doing their best guess with no more inclination to how values truly shift in non-PPR leagues than I would have if I tried to guess how a player's value changed in a 2QB league.

I am still unclear as to whether you play non-PPR or not.  If so, has Diggs been moved there?

I have not looked at these yet, but they are the first too PPR and NON PPR rankings I could find.  They are Dodds rankings from 9/2/15.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/draftlist.php?t=1

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/draftlist.php?t=1&ppr=1

WR25 is the 59th player in non PPR and the 57th player in PPR.

The actual player, Doug Baldwin, was ranked 59th in Non PPR and 60th in PPR.

PPR Monster Julian Edelman had the biggest drop I can find on the list... from 45 to 68, so almost 2 rounds, but so far that is the only one I can find that high.

I don't think you have to necessarily be directly addressing someone to disagree with them.  If someone is saying he probably won't pull in any 1st round pick and someone else is saying he'd probably pull in 1.07 at the latest and maybe better than that, then that is a disagreement.

Your approach is unique and it seems to be working for you in 0.5ppr.  How well does it apply to non-PPR?  We can't say for sure, but my own personal experience playing primarily non-PPR does not match up with it.

In actual practice in real leagues I can't move Diggs for an early 2nd, much less a mid-1st.  The other guys here who play non-PPR seem to be saying the same in regards to his value compared to a mid-1st.  I agree with Concept Coop that I think a lot of these "non-PPR rankers" are just guys who don't play non-PPR and are doing their best guess with no more inclination to how values truly shift in non-PPR leagues than I would have if I tried to guess how a player's value changed in a 2QB league.

I am still unclear as to whether you play non-PPR or not.  If so, has Diggs been moved there?
Ok... i get where you are coming from, but I guess I was not very clear in my comments.

I did not say he would net a 1.7, I said that in a Non-PPR poll he would probably be ranked about there based on my rule of thumb of adjusting a round for PPR focused WR.  That was my prediction of his current ranking... not what I believed was his current value.

I then provided my revised PPR valuation of Diggs when I said 

"Based on the results of the poll, I would trade 1.7 for Diggs right now and walk away happy.  If you wanted my 1.5 I would need 2.2 added in.  If you wanted 1.4 I would want 1.9 added, if you wanted 1.3 I would want both 1.6 & 1.7"  

This was all hypothetical because I do not own any early picks in my PPR and half PPR leagues.

In my single Non PPR league (I am only in one), after seeing how much higher the community was on Diggs than I am, I offered 2.2 for Diggs and was rejected.  My only other pick is 1.4 and I will not pay that.  I am considering Perriman + 2.2 at the moment.

Fair point.  In the PPR rankings he was not listed at WR 14 but WR 19.  Since seven of the 11 current choices are WR, it means that WR26 will go right around pick 5.3

One round later than he is currently ranked PPR.

Again, all I am discussing is the anecdotal info dealing with projections and rankings, not actual performance.  Folks just don't drop players as much as they should, apparently.

I
Those 11 choices are arbitrarily defined though and there's a lot of bias in how they are structured with the sequencing and population selection.  They don't account for rookies yet because you only have one on there so to posit that 7 of 11 will be WR is a significant assumption.  WR14 went at 3.2 in that poll, so the drop to 5.3, even if accurate, is already over 2 rounds.  And you could easily start seeing QB's and TE's start peeling off as the difference makers at other positions start to go.  14 of the first 26 picks were WR and only 5 of the subsequent 15, so it's trending away from run-of-the-mill WR's.

Bel;ow are the overall rankings variation from PPR to Non PPR for the top 30 WR for Dodds on 9/2/16.  

You will find that Keenan Allen (18 slots), Landry (14 slots), and Edelman (23 slots) had more than a one round difference in their overall rankings.  The other 27 WR were within one round.  So three players were not within one round but of them one was 2 picks off, and one six.  With Edelman being the sole outlier and he was still less than 2 rounds, plus the fact that for 12 of the 30 WR the change in overall ranking was three slots or less, I think my 1 round rule of thumb is pretty safe.

PPR listed first

Brown 1,1

Julio 2,3

ODB 3,4

DHOP 6,8

AJ Green 8,11

Dez 14,15

Keenan Allen 15,33

Evans 16,23

Jeffrey 18,27

ARob 20,17

Jordy 21,24

Hilton 22,18

Marshall 24,29

Landry 25,39

DT 28,35

Cooks 29,37

Maclin 30,38

Cooper 32,34

Watkins 35, 30

Cobb 36, 41

Tate 39, 49

Decker 42,44

Fitz 44, 53

Edelman 45, 68

Moncrief 57, 56

Baldwin 60, 59

Matthews 62, 71

DJAX 63,66

Sanders 65, 79

Crabtree 68, 80

Change in Rankings 3 spots or less - 12

Change in Rankings 4 spots to 12 spots - 15

Change in rankings of more than 12 spots - 3

I am not cherry picking... these are the first rankings I looked at.  I am not justifying this as correct, but rather pointing it out as an objective reality.  Folks just don't drop PPR dependent players as much as most think.

Those 11 choices are arbitrarily defined though and there's a lot of bias in how they are structured with the sequencing and population selection.  They don't account for rookies yet because you only have one on there so to posit that 7 of 11 will be WR is a significant assumption.  WR14 went at 3.2 in that poll, so the drop to 5.3, even if accurate, is already over 2 rounds.  And you could easily start seeing QB's and TE's start peeling off as the difference makers at other positions start to go.  14 of the first 26 picks were WR and only 5 of the subsequent 15, so it's trending away from run-of-the-mill WR's.
Totally agree... mine was merely a hypothesis that could easily be wrong.

However, that does not weaken my point that I am focused on perceived rather than actual value.  As you can see from my last post... folks just don't drop the rankings of those PPR WR as much as you would think just because of the switch in formats to NON-PPR.  

Tyrell Williams year 2: 119 targets, 69/1059/7

Stefon diggs year 2: 112 targets,  84/900/3 

Williams 6'4" 204 lbs 4.42 40, 6.74 3 cone drill

Diggs 6'0: 194 lbs 4.43 40, 7.03 3 cone drill

Williams is bigger, faster, quicker, and performed better last year in both their second years.  He plays with a better qb and does more with the same number of targets.  

Both have upside, both had nearly ideal situations to break out last year. I'm not trying to sell you on Williams, I'm just trying to show you that taking diggs here only makes sense if you feel really strongly that he'll keep improving on last year.  I don't feel confident in that at all, so it's easy for me to pass on him here.

I think a lot of people have lost their minds believing that this 5th round pick is some super talent waiting to break out, when it seems much more likely that he's a mediocre talent who was in a good spot and did ok.

I will pass on the Vikings wr du jour every year until I'm wrong and not regret it. They've had 9 leading receivers the jar 13 years, and the closest they came to having a stud wr was Percy Harvin.  That doesn't have much to do with Diggs - except that Diggs didn't even lead the Vikings in receiving this year.  Thielen did, with 69/957 and 5 in 16 games, 10 starts. And he didn't even lead the team in receiving touchdowns - that was kyle rudolph with 83/840/7. 

So with a healthy Bradford, which is hardly the usual, and no 1000 yard receiver to compete with, none of these guys really took the job and ran away with it.  And don't forget they have Treadwell sitting there waiting for his chance, too.

I'm just not seeing this diggs thing at all.  Top 40? Why? 

In my non-PPR 14 team league, the average scoring receiver last season scored 8.4 PPG

Stefon Diggs scored 8.423...so by the numbers he's an average non-PPR starting receiver in a 14 team league.

If I had a late 1st rounder in 2017, I might deal the pick for him. Maybe...but probably not.

Williams is bigger, faster, quicker, and performed better last year in both their second years.  He plays with a better qb and does more with the same number of targets.  

Both have upside, both had nearly ideal situations to break out last year. I'm not trying to sell you on Williams, I'm just trying to show you that taking diggs here only makes sense if you feel really strongly that he'll keep improving on last year.  I don't feel confident in that at all, so it's easy for me to pass on him here.

I think a lot of people have lost their minds believing that this 5th round pick is some super talent waiting to break out, when it seems much more likely that he's a mediocre talent who was in a good spot and did ok.

I will pass on the Vikings wr du jour every year until I'm wrong and not regret it. They've had 9 leading receivers the jar 13 years, and the closest they came to having a stud wr was Percy Harvin.  That doesn't have much to do with Diggs - except that Diggs didn't even lead the Vikings in receiving this year.  Thielen did, with 69/957 and 5 in 16 games, 10 starts. And he didn't even lead the team in receiving touchdowns - that was kyle rudolph with 83/840/7. 

So with a healthy Bradford, which is hardly the usual, and no 1000 yard receiver to compete with, none of these guys really took the job and ran away with it.  And don't forget they have Treadwell sitting there waiting for his chance, too.

I don't like that it's framed this way.  Williams is an arbitrary comp--that I'm sure we all agree has plenty of upside.  That shouldn't have to be a knock on Diggs.  

Diggs is 23 YO and has had a very good start to his NFL career.  His impressive play has been spread across two seasons and two different QBs.  He was a 5 star recruit out of HS, so there is some pedigree there.  FWIW, PFF has a good grade on him, as they did last season.  I'm certainly willing to bet on him being more than an average talent.  

Bel;ow are the overall rankings variation from PPR to Non PPR for the top 30 WR for Dodds on 9/2/16.  

You will find that Keenan Allen (18 slots), Landry (14 slots), and Edelman (23 slots) had more than a one round difference in their overall rankings.  The other 27 WR were within one round.  So three players were not within one round but of them one was 2 picks off, and one six.  With Edelman being the sole outlier and he was still less than 2 rounds, plus the fact that for 12 of the 30 WR the change in overall ranking was three slots or less, I think my 1 round rule of thumb is pretty safe.
Where are Dodds' rankings (for some reason I can't find them)?

Edelman at 68 in non-ppr dynasty seems really really bad.  He just finished WR22 (WR28 ppg) in his career best season at age 30 and is now about to turn 31 with his value tied to a 40 year old QB.  There's no way that guy has mid 6th round startup value in non-ppr leagues and I think that this just better illustrates CC's point that a lot of rankers are just giving a best guess in some of these other formats without really playing them.  He's probably still on the board in the 10th round of non-ppr startups.

There is also a pretty big difference between "rankings" and where a player is actually valued and what people are actually willing to spend on them.  Edelman's PPR ranking is 45 but his ADP in startup drafts is 72 as the 42nd WR off the board.  I don't think a 10 spot difference in ranking necessarily means there is the same amount of difference in startup value or in what people are actually willing to trade for them.

I don't like that it's framed this way.  Williams is an arbitrary comp--that I'm sure we all agree has plenty of upside.  That shouldn't have to be a knock on Diggs.  

Diggs is 23 YO and has had a very good start to his NFL career.  His impressive play has been spread across two seasons and two different QBs.  He was a 5 star recruit out of HS, so there is some pedigree there.  FWIW, PFF has a good grade on him, as they did last season.  I'm certainly willing to bet on him being more than an average talent.  
The comparison isn't a knock on either of them.  I think it's reasonable to take diggs ahead of Williams.  I think it's reasonable to take Williams ahead of diggs.  But diggs just went in the top 40 in the community rankings and Williams isn't even a poll choice yet. How do you explain that the bigger faster quicker guy who put up wr1 numbers with a better quarterback is going rounds later than the slower smaller guy who almost put up wr2 numbers with a worse qb who can never stay healthy?   It's group think. 

Do you play in a non-PPR format?  I hope this doesn't come off as my calling you out, but I'm surprised by a few of the responses here.  He's worth a late 1st at best.  You'd rightfully have to add to him to land the likes of Kamara in the 1.06-1.07 range.  I like Diggs; I've got him in the 3rd round startup range for PPR leagues.  But without the receptions, he's not bringing a whole lot to the table.  7/70 is just fine in PPR formats; not so in standard.  
Yes I already addressed that in the post that you quoted, yet you parsed that out. I have been playing fantasy football since the 1980s and have played in many different formats.

Obviously this is worth a lot more in PPR format than in standard leagues where yards and TD rule. However there is something to be said for the consistency and volume Diggs gets even though he has less upside for TDs 

Non-ppr, return yardage league 

What's the difference in rookie picks between Tyreek Hill and DeAndre Hopkins? 

To cover my bases...is there any? 

Regarding the first paragraph, no.  You can't compare pro rated stats from one player to the actual stats of another.

- That penalizes the guy who played 16 games but played through injury instead of sitting out.

- It adds variance to an already short sample size (in 13 games, diggs had 5 good games. In 16, he might have had 5 good games or 8.)

- scoring as much ppg as a wr2 does not make you a wr2. It means you're one of a huge group of guys who could put up wr2 numbers if they stayed healthy.  That's a ceiling, not a projection.  

- I don't agree that his numbers "should" go up.  He had 13 catches in back to back weeks this year.  That's impressive.  He did it on 14 and 15 targets.  That's flukey. With those 26 receptions, he had 244 yards. That's under 10 yards a catch.  

If he's going to improve on that, it won't be because he catches a higher percentage.  So what happened after those two games?  He got 7, 8, 5, 5 and 6 targets the rest of the way plus two missed games.  It doesn't seem like the team's goal is to force feed him 9+ targets a game. He only had two other fans with 9 or more targets all year. 

His overall catch percentage was 84/112 , or exactly 75%. That's very high.  You can't count on that going up much, if he can repeat it at all, so to improve his scoring, he needs to get more yards per catch, more targets, or more touchdowns.  

He had 52 catches for 720 yards in 13 games as a rookie, but that was on 84 targets (close to 63%) so his nearly 14 yards per catch came at a lower catch percentage.  It's hard to catch at a high percentage and a high ypc, and he hasn't shown he can do that. 

He has about 1 td per 20 catches, and they have a big tight end and a big new running back.  Its possible his tds go up, but hard to predict more than 5 or 6.

Really you need his targets to go up, but remember, the Vikings drafted Treadwell early and he didn't even play, and thielen looked good and should see a boost in targets... so you need Bradford to play well, stay healthy, and prefer Diggs above everyone else.  That's certainly possible - it unexpectedly happened this year -but even then he was almost a wr2. 

I feel like taking him in the top 40 picks, you're really only going to be happy if he stays healthy and improves and gets good qb play.  Which means you're probably overpaying.  
My post was for context only. Obviously he would need to sustain a similar level of performance over 16 games to reach those numbers. He has only played in 13 his first two seasons.

He did improve in terms of catch percentage and targets per game, at the expense of some yards per catch. Overall he showed improvement from his rookie season was my only point about that, and because he has shown improvement, I think he can continue to get better, as WR tend to do until they reach 25-26 years old.

I am a Vikings fan who has watched a ton of Diggs play. He has made some of the best corners in the NFL look silly with his quick breaking routes. As a rookie. That is another thing about Diggs, he has stood out as a great player from day one. No long lerning development curve from Diggs. Keenan McCardell prepared him well.

. As I already mentioned there may be some concern about him always fighting injuries. That is why he didn't put up big numbers in college and at big part of why Diggs wasn't drafted higher than he was in my opinion. But when he is healthy he can play at a very high level that I think is sustainable.

I just want to chime in to say that not playing in one league type doesn't mean you can't grasp the shift in value between the scoring rules in different leagues. If a lot of people are disagreeing with a particular stance I don't think the "a lot of these people don't play non ppr" isn't a very strong argument in my opinion. It's not like you need a phd to grasp the nuances. 

I just want to chime in to say that not playing in one league type doesn't mean you can't grasp the shift in value between the scoring rules in different leagues. If a lot of people are disagreeing with a particular stance I don't think the "a lot of these people don't play non ppr" isn't a very strong argument in my opinion. It's not like you need a phd to grasp the nuances. 
Maybe but if 10 people play non-PPR and view it the same I'd value that over the opinions of 50 that don't play that format.

The comparison isn't a knock on either of them.  I think it's reasonable to take diggs ahead of Williams.  I think it's reasonable to take Williams ahead of diggs.  But diggs just went in the top 40 in the community rankings and Williams isn't even a poll choice yet. How do you explain that the bigger faster quicker guy who put up wr1 numbers with a better quarterback is going rounds later than the slower smaller guy who almost put up wr2 numbers with a worse qb who can never stay healthy?   It's group think. 
1. Tyrell's QB situation is highly likely to degrade soon.  Diggs' probably isn't getting worse.  

2. A lot of things had to break right for tyrell last year.  He performed for sure but do you see him repeating on his 16 stats? Improving?  I don't.  

3. This is overstated but tyrell going undrafted left him out of most people's radar.  His 15 season wasn't good either which makes 16 look like a fluke.  Maybe it isn't but he hasn't shown to be more than a one year filler with a very good qb. 

I don't fully but into 3, but it does affect his perceived value.  The two probably shouldn't be far apart in value but I sure would bet on diggs over tyrell, mostly because we've seen him do alright with bad QBing.

:lol:  what?!?! First of all, are we saying Rivers = Bradford?? C'mon. Second, I guess we're going to ignore the fact that Diggs was injured last year? Third, Tyrell had the benefit of Keenan AND Benjamin being injured last year while he was fully healthy. Even with the nagging injuries, Diggs' 13 games extrapolate to a 16 game total of 103/1111/4. So if you play PPR, that's a pretty big boost. If you don't, the volume should give you hope that his year 3 YPR more closely resembles his year 1. And those 2016 numbers were with a healthy Thielen and Treadwell. If Treadwell's role grows, I'm thinking he'll take over SOME of the targets vacated by Charles Johnson and Patterson (107 targets). Tyrell on the other hand will only see players returning to take targets.

All in all, I understand some skepticism about Diggs, but can't comprehend this comparison. It makes no sense. FWIW, I own neither player, but I am definitely putting out feelers on Diggs. The only thing that concerns me is health. I think (could definitely be wrong) that's the only reason he dropped to the 5th round and it appears to be well founded. He was once a 5 star recruit - one of the top recruits in the country coming out of high school and he made an immediate impact as a true freshman.

Combine stats have shown no correlation with NFL production, however breakout age and the college dominator rating are decent indicators:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/stefon-diggs/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/tyrell-williams/

:lol:  what?!?! First of all, are we saying Rivers = Bradford?? C'mon. 
Of course nor.  But Bradford is the qb there for the immediate future and had a healthy season, so that's irrelevant.

His only competition for receptions last year was some guy named Adam thielen, who outproduced him, and Kyle Rudolph. The running game was in shambles, the receiver they drafted in the first round didn't even play, and Bradford stayed fully healthy and had a career year.  

And while, as you say, "Diggs' 13 games extrapolate to a 16 game total of 103/1111/4", Williams actually got 1059/7 while also playing through injury, which is what makes him an interesting comp.  (In ppr, there's more of a difference) 

But again, I don't really care about Williams as a specific comp - my point is just that we've moved out of the yes tier and into the maybe tier, and diggs is getting drafted way too early in that tier. He's a good maybe, but he just went in the top 40 of the community mock, before last year's first round pick rookies, and before the picks that will get you this year's first and second round pick rookies, because he had a 903 yard season and plays with Sam Bradford. Pump those brakes.

Yes I already addressed that in the post that you quoted, yet you parsed that out. I have been playing fantasy football since the 1980s and have played in many different formats.
Sorry, buddy.  I didn't mean to put you in a position to defend yourself.  Which was naïve of me--of course it was going to come off that way.  As FBG pointed out, I think most people can grasp the general value adjustment, but it can be different in practice.  I often comment on trades in formats I don't play (IDP) under the impression that I grasp enough to have a reasonable opinion.  I was just responding to a few folks in a row positing a valuation that was surprising to me.  We're likely beating a dead horse now.  Moving on. 

Of course nor.  But Bradford is the qb there for the immediate future and had a healthy season, so that's irrelevant.

His only competition for receptions last year was some guy named Adam thielen, who outproduced him, and Kyle Rudolph. The running game was in shambles, the receiver they drafted in the first round didn't even play, and Bradford stayed fully healthy and had a career year.  

And while, as you say, "Diggs' 13 games extrapolate to a 16 game total of 103/1111/4", Williams actually got 1059/7 while also playing through injury, which is what makes him an interesting comp.  (In ppr, there's more of a difference) 

But again, I don't really care about Williams as a specific comp - my point is just that we've moved out of the yes tier and into the maybe tier, and diggs is getting drafted way too early in that tier. He's a good maybe, but he just went in the top 40 of the community mock, before last year's first round pick rookies, and before the picks that will get you this year's first and second round pick rookies, because he had a 903 yard season and plays with Sam Bradford. Pump those brakes.
Well, you said "both had nearly identical situations to break out last year" and a WR's situation is largely based on QB quality. So if you're admitting Bradford isn't even close to as good as Rivers then you're admitting that statement was ridiculous. So I'm glad we cleared that up. I totally agree that Bradford is the QB there for 2017 so we need to take that into consideration for projecting 2017 but that's not at all what you said. Not cool to move the goal posts.

Also, you said Thielen outproduced Diggs, but he didn't. He accumulated more stats due to Diggs missing time. When Diggs was on the field, he was productive, at least from a PPR standpoint. He was not very useful in 0ppr due to the decline in YPR and the lack of TDs. But with TDs being so unpredictable and my perception that he's not a Jarvis Landry type player, I'm all about acquiring him in both formats.

I'm not sure why you are acting like Thielen and Rudolph are JAGs. Rudolph has been held back by situation but was once a highly touted prospect and he was like 26 or 27 last year. Thielen proved his worth last year. If there was a good comparison to be made, it should be Thielen and Williams.

Also not sure why you keep touting Williams' stats when we just agreed that Williams had the much better QB. I think we can also agree that a one-legged Benjamin is not as good as Thielen and that Gates is not as good as Rudolph at this point in his career. Sure, Henry looks pretty good, but he was a rookie behind Gates so SD was slow to utilize him, thus he wasn't costing Williams any targets.

Bottom line, Diggs has produced both years with subpar QB play and he beat out a 1st round rookie to keep his #1 target status. Williams has had one year in which he put up decent stats as the only real option on his team with a great QB. I don't see why there is any controversy here about why Diggs is valued higher in the dynasty community than Williams. Bradford's contract is up after 2017 and Diggs' contract is up in 2018. His QB situation will likely get better. There are only a few QBs in the NFL whose skill set matches Williams' skill set as well as Rivers' does, so it's likely we've already seen his ceiling. Even in redraft, Williams will be WR2a next year while Diggs is his team's WR1. 

Thielen didn't out produce Diggs; he simply played more games.  Of course, availability is a valid knock on Diggs, but Stefon Diggs wasn't out produced by Adam Thielen. 

The argument is that Diggs has a bigger sample size and is less reliant on his situation than Williams.  People want to see what Williams does outside of being Rivers' top guy--speaking of lack of competition. 

Suggesting that Diggs is being drafted highly because of a "903 yard season" is disingenuous.  It's the (103/1111/4)/gm pace at 22/23 YO.  If Laquan Treadwell does that next season, he'll be a top 15 dynasty asset.  Let's compare Diggs to Cooper, instead of WIlliams: 5/72/0.3 vs 7/69/.2.  Does one justify being 300% more valuable than the other?  Should Williams be as valuable as Cooper?

How is the return yardage scored?  I've seen it scored a few different ways.
Zealots scoring  

.05/1 yd for punts

.025/1 yd for ko's

For reference, last year Hill scored 200 pts and Hopkins 125. But I'm still of the opinion that Hopkins > Hill...am I wrong about that? 

Zealots scoring  

.05/1 yd for punts

.025/1 yd for ko's

For reference, last year Hill scored 200 pts and Hopkins 125. But I'm still of the opinion that Hopkins > Hill...am I wrong about that? 
I have a tough time remembering players like Hill that were consistent fantasy starters.  If I own HIll, I am putting him out there in a big public way, now before the actual NFL draft, and people start falling in love with situations.  

I take Hopkins all day.  

I have a tough time remembering players like Hill that were consistent fantasy starters.  If I own HIll, I am putting him out there in a big public way, now before the actual NFL draft, and people start falling in love with situations.  

I take Hopkins all day.  
I agree but I'm wondering how much more I should be thinking I need to offer, if any, to get Hopkins. 

Well, you said "both had nearly identical situations to break out last year"
I said nearly ideal, not nearly identical. I can see why you would argue with identical.  Before you say Bradford isn't ideal, in the context of diggs career, a fully healthy season of Bradford putting up his career best season is as good as it gets.  Also Peterson wasn't dominating the offense, and his only competition was a good tight end and an unheard of receiver, while the guy who was drafted to be their number one didn't play. That's as good as you could hope for if you're diggs, and he put up... ok numbers.  

You guys keep extrapolating his numbers to 1111/4 and calling it productive, but with that competition for targets, a 1000ish yard season was pretty achievable, considering Rudolph and thielen combined for 1800 yards and 12 tds. He may have been productive, but he wasn't much better than those guys.

I'm not saying he's worthless, but top 40 is absurd. 

Zealots scoring  

.05/1 yd for punts

.025/1 yd for ko's

There are on my a handful of productive receivers who get good return numbers, too.  It's usually one or the other.  I'd actually keep hill in that format, because for Hopkins to be worth more he has to produce at his 2015 levels, but hill can coast to Hopkins 2016 numbers. 

There are on my a handful of productive receivers who get good return numbers, too.  It's usually one or the other.  I'd actually keep hill in that format, because for Hopkins to be worth more he has to produce at his 2015 levels, but hill can coast to Hopkins 2016 numbers. 
Hopkins can coast to Hopkins 2016 numbers too. 

I'm not sure I agree with that,  but it's food for thought.  

I said nearly ideal, not nearly identical. I can see why you would argue with identical.  Before you say Bradford isn't ideal, in the context of diggs career, a fully healthy season of Bradford putting up his career best season is as good as it gets.  Also Peterson wasn't dominating the offense, and his only competition was a good tight end and an unheard of receiver, while the guy who was drafted to be their number one didn't play. That's as good as you could hope for if you're diggs, and he put up... ok numbers.  

You guys keep extrapolating his numbers to 1111/4 and calling it productive, but with that competition for targets, a 1000ish yard season was pretty achievable, considering Rudolph and thielen combined for 1800 yards and 12 tds. He may have been productive, but he wasn't much better than those guys.

I'm not saying he's worthless, but top 40 is absurd. 
Ah, sure, enough I did read that wrong. I should've copied and pasted my quote, but I'm lazy and typing is faster. So I agree, from a competition standpoint they both had pretty good situations, but put them on each other's teams and I think 16 games of Diggs with Rivers and no good + healthy players would be awesome, whereas Tyrell was merely decent. Tyrell with Bradford, Thielen, and Rudolph... well, he'd probably be about as much of a household name as he was 12 months ago today.

The problem is that everyone seems to play PPR and you can't ignore 100 receptions. If you don't play PPR then I understand some reservation, but even if you do, you can't ignore what Diggs has done in his first two years with mediocre to bad QB play. Even if he's still got two more years remaining on his MIN (production jail) contract (sentence), he's still producing from a PPR standpoint and he's got the hope of blowing up if he leaves or if MIN gets a decent downfield passer one day. The guy is commanding targets and catching them and he's very young. Top 40 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. His health concerns would probably scare me away from that price, but if I can trade for him this offseason without paying a top 40 price, I'm going to do it. Tyrell, however, I want no part of. I don't think he'll ever be a week 1 WR1 and I don't like to roster guys with the hope of his WR1 counterpart getting injured. I think there's a decent chance a healthy Benjamin is actually an equal or better player than Tyrell and consequently his dynasty value falls off a cliff by this time next year. Diggs however has proven his worth. He just needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Ah, sure, enough I did read that wrong. I should've copied and pasted my quote, but I'm lazy and typing is faster. So I agree, from a competition standpoint they both had pretty good situations, but put them on each other's teams and I think 16 games of Diggs with Rivers and no good + healthy players would be awesome, whereas Tyrell was merely decent. Tyrell with Bradford, Thielen, and Rudolph... well, he'd probably be about as much of a household name as he was 12 months ago today.

The problem is that everyone seems to play PPR and you can't ignore 100 receptions. If you don't play PPR then I understand some reservation, but even if you do, you can't ignore what Diggs has done in his first two years with mediocre to bad QB play. Even if he's still got two more years remaining on his MIN (production jail) contract (sentence), he's still producing from a PPR standpoint and he's got the hope of blowing up if he leaves or if MIN gets a decent downfield passer one day. The guy is commanding targets and catching them and he's very young. Top 40 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. His health concerns would probably scare me away from that price, but if I can trade for him this offseason without paying a top 40 price, I'm going to do it. Tyrell, however, I want no part of. I don't think he'll ever be a week 1 WR1 and I don't like to roster guys with the hope of his WR1 counterpart getting injured. I think there's a decent chance a healthy Benjamin is actually an equal or better player than Tyrell and consequently his dynasty value falls off a cliff by this time next year. Diggs however has proven his worth. He just needs to prove he can stay healthy.
We're probably a long way from where we started by now, but this discussion about Diggs was (or at least began) specifically about non-PPR.

Ah, sure, enough I did read that wrong. I should've copied and pasted my quote, but I'm lazy and typing is faster. So I agree, from a competition standpoint they both had pretty good situations, but put them on each other's teams...
Right, i think a lot of receivers would be better if they had better quarterbacks. Terrell Owens would be in the hall of fame already if he hadn't shared the same observation.  

What do people perceive is the value of Tyreek Hill in ppr in terms of rookie picks?  First rounder worthy? How high?

I just have no feel for him.

What do people perceive is the value of Tyreek Hill in ppr in terms of rookie picks?  First rounder worthy? How high?

Seems to vary pretty wildly.  Assuming no return yards most trades in the dynasty trade thread seem to be late 1st.  Though his value seems to be trending up as there have been one or two recently that were more like a mid 1st I think.

Non-ppr, return yardage league 

What's the difference in rookie picks between Tyreek Hill and DeAndre Hopkins? 

To cover my bases...is there any? 
I'd guess the general consensus is something like "Tyreek and 1.05 for Hopkins".  I love me some Tyreek in return yard leagues though and is probably very much a flavor pick.  I'd snap up an offer even close to that and gun to my head I'd take Hill straight up in that format.  The floor that the return yards brings is massive - 2.5 PPG for Hill in that format.

I'm not sure I agree with that,  but it's food for thought.  
Hill 12.2 PPG in 2016.  Hopkins 2015 wasn't nearly so beastly in non-PPR (he had 111 that year, nearly 7 points per game!) at 13.6 PPG and was a huge outlier as a result of his targets. 

Spike said:

I don't think PPR is a huge impact for him, I think the return yards are the key.  I'd say late 1st early 2nd is about right if there's no return yards.  In theory they'll try to get him more touches and more short passes may be one way for that but I don't know if he'll get the receiving yards and TD's needed to move to solid WR2 status.

I don't think PPR is a huge impact for him, I think the return yards are the key.  I'd say late 1st early 2nd is about right if there's no return yards.  In theory they'll try to get him more touches and more short passes may be one way for that but I don't know if he'll get the receiving yards and TD's needed to move to solid WR2 status.
6 points per punt or kickoff return TD; .05 points per punt return yard; .025 points per kickoff return yard

bostonfred said:
Right, i think a lot of receivers would be better if they had better quarterbacks. Terrell Owens would be in the hall of fame already if he hadn't shared the same observation.  
Well, that's why I'm saying quality of QB needs to be taken into consideration when looking backwards. Can't just compare Diggs' 13 game stats with Bradford vs. Tyrell's 16 game stats with Rivers and use that to draw a conclusion as to who should be valued higher going forward in dynasty. In just 1-2 years, their situations will likely have changed drastically so the context of their past 2 seasons is valuable. 

FreeBaGeL said:
We're probably a long way from where we started by now, but this discussion about Diggs was (or at least began) specifically about non-PPR.
Thanks - I definitely missed that. I'm guilty of not scrolling back far enough. 

6 points per punt or kickoff return TD; .05 points per punt return yard; .025 points per kickoff return yard
He finished WR9 in that format last year.  There's some risk of repeatability, especially the rushing totals/efficiency, but I'll gamble an expanded workload can offset that.  I'd happily give up 1.07 for him and possibly up to 1.05.  Top 5 in that format would include McCaffrey for me so I think that's my cutoff.  Cook, Mixon, Davis, McCaffrey, Fournette.  Given Fournette's virtual certainty to go top 3 means I'm holding up to 1.05 but after that gimmie Tyreek.

Looking to buy in a couple leagues where I'm a contender, of course I don't have a 3rd in either of them.
Well you can try and get him even cheaper. I do not think it would be insulting (although probably too light) to offer a couple of fourths. It would at least maybe get a conversation started - and if not I am not one to think you'd be missing out on all that much. Veteran WR3/4 types are a dime a dozen in dynasty.

Looking to buy in a couple leagues where I'm a contender, of course I don't have a 3rd in either of them.
If you don't have what he's worth just throw out any old offer.  Maybe 8.10 upgraded to 8.05 will get you a counter.

Users who are viewing this thread