What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (1 Viewer)

This seems physically impossible to me. 

For one, Godwin broke his finger on a rip-pass from Brady. He's known for that. He's not gonna be pulling his passes on gameday depending on which receiver he's throwing to. Flesh doesn't heal faster for anyone, so Godwin is gonna have fairly fresh stitches on Sunday that are almost certainly going to be at high-risk of rupturing on the same kinda rip-passes from Brady that broke his finger to begin with. 

I'm sitting him. Too high of probability that he's pulled after a few passes because his finger is bleeding. 

And I'm starting Antonio Brown. 

Brady has been visibly desperate for any receiver to trust out there. 

Bucs WR Chris Godwin (finger) is listed as questionable for Week 9 against the Saints. 

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said Godwin will suit up for Sunday's tilt against New Orleans after he missed last week's game with a finger injury. The Saints should have Godwin, Antonio Brown, and Mike Evans for this week, making Tom Brady a top fantasy option. 

SOURCE: Don Kleiman on Twitter 

Nov 6, 2020, 4:08 PM ET

Godwin is a warrior.  Barring his finger breaking again in game if he's out there he's going to play.

ATB said:
This seems physically impossible to me. 

For one, Godwin broke his finger on a rip-pass from Brady. He's known for that. He's not gonna be pulling his passes on gameday depending on which receiver he's throwing to. Flesh doesn't heal faster for anyone, so Godwin is gonna have fairly fresh stitches on Sunday that are almost certainly going to be at high-risk of rupturing on the same kinda rip-passes from Brady that broke his finger to begin with. 

I'm sitting him. Too high of probability that he's pulled after a few passes because his finger is bleeding. 

And I'm starting Antonio Brown. 

Brady has been visibly desperate for any receiver to trust out there. 
Would you start AB over MT, assuming he's active?

Chris Godwin caught 6-of-6 targets for 92 yards in Week 10 against the Panthers.

That is a season-high yardage total for Godwin, who missed time with a finger and hamstring injury prior to Week 9. He might not look like his 2019 self, but Godwin came through with a few critical third down catches today. He should be considered a top 24 option against the Rams in Week 11.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Godwin's yards per target and yards per reception sit at career lows after Week 11. 

Catching passes from the weak-armed Tom Brady, the explosive Godwin is operating more like Julian Edelman than the dynamic wideout fantasy managers pursued in recent seasons. His 9.1 yards per target and 11.3 yards per reception are career lows. Last year, he averaged 11 yards per target and 15.5 yards per catch. Godwin's air yards per target (8.2) is below short pass vacuums like Jamison Crowder, Jarvis Landry, and Tyler Boyd. His short range usage was on full display Monday night against the Rams, when Godwin caught seven passes for 53 yards with an average yards per target of 5.3. Even with a capped weekly ceiling, Godwin remains a high-end WR2 in PPR formats. 

RELATED: 

Tom Brady

Nov 24, 2020, 8:14 AM ET

Going forward, do folks think Godwin is a likely WR2 performer, somewhere around WR 15-20 overall in dynasty?

Ack88 said:
Going forward, do folks think Godwin is a likely WR2 performer, somewhere around WR 15-20 overall in dynasty?
I think he's in that range, perhaps a little better to close out this year... and dynasty will depend on the QB. He's an excellent WR.

Chris Godwin caught 8-of-9 targets for 97 yards in the Bucs' Week 12 loss to the Chiefs.

Godwin has 90-plus yards and/or one touchdown in three of Antonio Brown's four games. He made a sick over-the-shoulder grab for 44 yards on his big play of the afternoon in this one. Godwin's ceiling is a bit capped with Brown now in tow, but he's still on the WR2 map ahead of a Week 14 date with the Vikings out of the Bucs' bye.

- Rotoworld

The problem with Godwin this year is, besides injuries, that his touchdowns seem capped by Gronk and Evans's red zone looks. It hasn't shown up yet, but I don't think even with his great schedule, you're going to get those over-the-top games unless he scores, especially given his aDOT this year. I consider the forty-six yarder a bit of a fluky pass last week. That said, he's got to be earning Brady's trust by being where he needs to be, effort, and hands, so those looks might come more frequently.

His targets have gone 6, 6, 10, and 9 the last four games, so it looks, from a small sample size, that trust is increasing between the two. We shall see.

The problem with Godwin this year is, besides injuries, that his touchdowns seem capped by Gronk and Evans's red zone looks. It hasn't showed up yet, yet I don't think even with his great schedule, you're going to get those over-the-top games unless he scores, especially given his aDOT this year. I consider the forty-six yarder a bit of a fluky pass last week. That said, he's got to be earning Brady's trust by being where he needs to be, effort, and hands, so those looks might come more frequently.

His targets have gone 6, 6, 10, and 9 the last four games, so it looks, from a small sample size, that trust is increasing between the two. We shall see.
Everything you just wrote certainly has merit. The only question mark is if Godwin has been held back this year by injury, and are the last couple of games an indication of recovery.

I had him ranked in the top 5 entering the season, with his skillset matching up very well with Brady.

Right now, I have Adams and Robinson locked in to my top two spots with an opening for either Claypool or Godwin. I think Claypool is going to have to show a lot over the next two games to get me off of Godwin to open the playoffs.

Everything you just wrote certainly has merit. The only question mark is if Godwin has been held back this year by injury, and are the last couple of games an indication of recovery.

I had him ranked in the top 5 entering the season, with his skillset matching up very well with Brady.

Right now, I have Adams and Robinson locked in to my top two spots with an opening for either Claypool or Godwin. I think Claypool is going to have to show a lot over the next two games to get me off of Godwin to open the playoffs.
I had him ranked highly as well but I think that ranking warrants re-examination. Maybe being a little off the mark there plus AB and Gronk coming in and the latter starting to look more involved and I don't think it's any more complicated than an abundance of weapons. I do agree that Godwin is gaining trust as a chain mover. It's a positive but I'm not sure it will lead to those "monster" fantasy games.

The problem with Godwin this year is, besides injuries, that his touchdowns seem capped by Gronk and Evans's red zone looks. It hasn't shown up yet, but I don't think even with his great schedule, you're going to get those over-the-top games unless he scores, especially given his aDOT this year. I consider the forty-six yarder a bit of a fluky pass last week. That said, he's got to be earning Brady's trust by being where he needs to be, effort, and hands, so those looks might come more frequently.

I tend to agree. My only counter is that he has been banged up and seems to finally be hitting his stride a little on the field. Brady, on the other hand, has looked increasingly worse. I would definitely not have drafted Godwin this year if I had to do it over again, but in most spots I have him I don't have better options. I agree on his TDs being capped, though. I still like him in dynasty quite a bit. Is probably a little bit of a buy low after this year.

I tend to agree. My only counter is that he has been banged up and seems to finally be hitting his stride a little on the field. Brady, on the other hand, has looked increasingly worse. I would definitely not have drafted Godwin this year if I had to do it over again, but in most spots I have him I don't have better options. I agree on his TDs being capped, though. I still like him in dynasty quite a bit. Is probably a little bit of a buy low after this year.
Redraft Godwin might have really hurt teams. He was going 2nd round, 3rd tops, and over Evans mostly. Dynasty Godwin is still prime. He's not overall WR2 like last year, but he's still firmly in the discussion as a WR1/2. I don't know if he's a bit of a buy low, though. I think we may have seen peak value last year. He may just be a buy lower and those that GM his teams saw his value depreciate in front of their eyes. I dunno.

Redraft Godwin might have really hurt teams. He was going 2nd round, 3rd tops, and over Evans mostly. Dynasty Godwin is still prime. He's not overall WR2 like last year, but he's still firmly in the discussion as a WR1/2. I don't know if he's a bit of a buy low, though. I think we may have seen peak value last year. He may just be a buy lower and those that GM his teams saw his value depreciate in front of their eyes. I dunno.
Yeah I skipped him in most redrafts because I wasn't crazy about the spot but did grab a couple shares, just in case. Didn't sink me (yet) but suboptimal to say the least. He's been useable though. 

Yeah I skipped him in most redrafts because I wasn't crazy about the spot but did grab a couple shares, just in case. Didn't sink me (yet) but suboptimal to say the least. He's been useable though. 
I felt the same way and hated that I drafted him in the second of a Superflex. I also drafted Diontae Johnson in the same draft, and he's been a killer with missed time and early-game injuires. I've managed to procure a bye because I also drafted Thielen and Allen Robinson in that one and because of a fairly early redraft pick of Gibson, FAAB of $13 for James Robinson (a coup), and Mostert blowing up when he's on the field. Thielen especially has saved my season, easy. He's a WR1 this year that I got in like the fifth or sixth of that draft. Everyone was so down on him this year, but all he's done is blow up in the red zone.

I digress.

TL;skip the part about my fantasy team: I felt the same way, really, about taking Godwin so early when rubber met the road.

Dynasty:

Acquired Godwin and Fournette for Matt Ryan, Theilen and Jared Cook. Not a big Fournette fan but I have RoJo. Happy about it. 

Took him in third behind Mike Thomas & Julio, Chris Carson as my RB1, Ingram as my RB2, Courtland Sutton as my Flex. Three or four other guys I started who went on season ending IR. 

No idea how I’ve lucked into winning 5 out of 6 and the #4 seed. Perfect FF season for pandemic times tho.

His floor has been fine when healthy. Only one game I can remember he hurt me (7.10 or sumtin, last time I lost a game.) I’ve been rolling out some trash bags who worked out but essentially back to my original crew + Mostert.

#NCAYFT

Thing is, even with a QB who can’t go deep rn, lots of mouths to feed, and highly questionable game plans, dude has enough talent to be super efficient even those weeks he’s getting 6-9 targets.

No complaints, it’s been really fun clawing back from 2-4 / 10th place to winning biggest blowout in the league 3 times during this run. My interest in FF had waned significantly and all the rosterbation due to injuries sort of rekindled  my love for the hobby.

Chris Godwin underwent a procedure to have pins removed from his broken finger. 

Godwin missed Week 8 with the broken finger. It doesn't look like this procedure will cost him game action, though it'll be worth monitoring his practice participation in the coming days. Coming off the Bucs bye week, Godwin goes against a Vikings defense that's given up the ninth most yards to opposing receivers. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Dec 8, 2020, 8:40 AM ET

I had pins removed from my wrist once and there was really nothing to it. Mildly sore for a couple days but that's about it. This anecdote is a 100% perfect comparison between me, an internet FF forum denizen, and Chris Godwin, NFL receiver.

Cereal I would think he is playing and will be fine but of course will wait to see how the week shakes out. I'm probably starting Corey Davis over him in one spot and rolling with Claypool and one of Juju/Godwin in another. I don't like stacking two WRs from the same team but Juju is probably pretty even with Godwin. Lots of mouths in either offense and I like both matchups this week, but Brady has looked terrible while Ben has looked good (to me). 

I’m contemplating Godwin in a juicy matchup (on paper) v Coutee in a tough matchup (@ CHI.)

Or rather I’m looking at an old QB who can’t throw deep v a young guy supporting multiple 100 yard WRs against one of the allegedly better defenses in the NFL (Indy) now facing a “tough Bears defense.“ Said tough defense just gave up 402 passing yards to a team giving 65% of its receiver snaps to people who should be working for the parks department.

Chris Godwin (finger) didn't practice Wednesday. 

Godwin had pins removed from his broken left index finger Tuesday. The Bucs are managing his reps ahead of Week 14's game with the Vikings. 

Dec 9, 2020, 11:50 AM ET

I just traded for him three weeks ago and have been very pleased. Funny how perspective can paint a picture 🤓
Congrats on trading for a distressed asset and getting a good return so far. I traded for him as well around week 4, when he was coming back from his initial injury. He’s been throughly underwhelming for most of the year. The AB signing really kneecapped him, but he’s been no better than a WR2/3. The people who drafted him at cost have gotten totally screwed.

Congrats on trading for a distressed asset and getting a good return so far. I traded for him as well around week 4, when he was coming back from his initial injury. He’s been throughly underwhelming for most of the year. The AB signing really kneecapped him, but he’s been no better than a WR2/3. The people who drafted him at cost have gotten totally screwed.
No question about that.

I do think for the people who held on or traded for him, the pay-off is about to come.

I'm an optimist by nature, though 🙂

Rotoworld:

Chris Godwin (finger) practiced in full Thursday. 

Godwin missed Wednesday's practice after having pins removed from his broken left index finger earlier this week. He should be ready to roll for Week 14 against Minnesota. Godwin will be a WR2, as usual. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 2:35 PM ET

Chris Godwin's 14.2 PPR points per game ranks 25th among wide receivers this season. 

Fresh off catching 2-of-3 targets for 25 yards against Minnesota, Godwin has plunged into WR3 territory. Godwin has missed four games and parts of others with various injuries, but even when healthy, he's been a disappointment for fantasy managers who drafted him in the second round. Godwin is averaging 5.66 targets per game; last season, he notched 8.64. Mike Evans also averages 14.2 fantasy points per game thanks to 11 touchdowns on just 51 receptions this year. Evans is on pace for 823.4 receiving yards after racking up over 1,000 in each of his first six NFL seasons, including three seasons of more than 1,200 yards. Tom Brady's first season in Tampa has proven statistically disastrous for one of the NFL's preeminent pass catching duos. 

RELATED: 

Mike Evans

Dec 14, 2020, 10:12 AM ET

Week 15 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: Eagles' Jalen Hurts is the real deal

Excerpt:

FALLER: WR CHRIS GODWIN, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Godwin has played in five games with Antonio Brown, and the results have been less than stunning. He has averaged 5.2 receptions for 61.6 receiving yards in those contests, and the opportunity split between Tampa Bay’s receivers is concerning for Godwin.

Player                                                Air Share          Target Share

Mike Evans                                            29%                      21%

Antonio Brown                                      20%                      19%

Chris Godwin                                        19%                       19%

Targets plus air yards are the bread and butter of any fantasy player’s output, and Godwin has been quietly passed or matched in those metrics by Brown. The linchpin for Godwin returning to some semblance of his 2019 glory will be what his team looks like in 2021 and whether he sticks in Tampa Bay. 

Tom Brady is under contract next year and is currently PFF’s fifth-highest graded passer. If he wants to keep playing for what looks to be a perenially playoff team, he still has the skills and the monetary incentive. All signs point to him sticking around for at least another year. Brown is not under contract next year, but Brady lobbied for him to join the Bucs this season and other teams reportedly had little interest in him. 

Tampa Bay is in the middle of the pack in terms of projected cap space for next year and has the least dead money tied down. Given that the market was initially barren for Brown, it seems more likely than not that he also returns. The last puzzle piece will be what Godwin does. He is also a free agent at the end of this year and will command significantly more money than Brown. If the Bucs choose to keep him over Brown, Godwin would get a massive bump in dynasty value. If they don’t, Godwin backers run the risk of him finding an even worse situation than he’s currently in. 

The range of outcomes is wide, including a bevy of negative outcomes for his dynasty stock.

FairWarning said:
I think the main reason is Brady.  Godwin really needs a qb who can throw deep to maximize his talent.  
No. Godwin is a slot guy, almost never goes deep. Evans usually hits the go routes. In theory Godwin should be perfect for Brady but he’s been hurt most of the year. 

Now that the 2020 fantasy season is over, it is time to start thinking ahead for dynasty and keeper leagues.

Do we think Tampa Bay will extend him?  If not in TB, where are the ideal landing spots, Houston?

Now that the 2020 fantasy season is over, it is time to start thinking ahead for dynasty and keeper leagues.

Do we think Tampa Bay will extend him?  If not in TB, where are the ideal landing spots, Houston?
I feel like he's going to get a great offer to leave. Tampa Bay has Evans and AB already. Scotty Miller could be a viable #3 and the draft is again flush with quality WR prospects. I could see the Jets or Jags making a play for him to pair with their likely rookie QB. I roster Godwin in my main league so his situation is very interesting to me. 

I'm going to say it's 60/40 he moves to another team.

I feel like he's going to get a great offer to leave. Tampa Bay has Evans and AB already. Scotty Miller could be a viable #3 and the draft is again flush with quality WR prospects. I could see the Jets or Jags making a play for him to pair with their likely rookie QB. I roster Godwin in my main league so his situation is very interesting to me. 

I'm going to say it's 60/40 he moves to another team.
You think Brown sticks? 

I'm expecting Godwin to get Franchised, if they can't work out a long term deal. 

If Godwin does leave, I think there is a chance his value doesn't change much. His skill set is plays in pretty much any offense. I would be shocked if the Jags made a big investment at WR, but the Jets are certainly a team that would have interest. 

I'm not expecting a ton of WR movement this offseason among the #1 guys. Godwin, Robinson, Golladay all seem likely to stay put to me. Which is great news for a guy like JuJu, who be who somebody like the Jets, or whomever, have to settle for.

The Bucs have several FA's that need to be signed after the season.  Shaq Barrett, Chris Godwin, and LaVonte David all have expiring contracts just to name a few.  With Evans, Tyler Johnson, Scottie Miller, and Brady/Gronk/Brown seeming like they might be a package deal it wouldn't surprise me to see Godwin as the odd man out.  Maybe a franchise tag and trade situation.

If HOU doesn’t go out and outbid everyone for this guy they are just wasting Watson’s prime years. A little bit of an exaggeration but they need to show this guy some support by trying to makeup for giving Hopkins away.

The Bucs have several FA's that need to be signed after the season.  Shaq Barrett, Chris Godwin, and LaVonte David all have expiring contracts just to name a few.  With Evans, Tyler Johnson, Scottie Miller, and Brady/Gronk/Brown seeming like they might be a package deal it wouldn't surprise me to see Godwin as the odd man out.  Maybe a franchise tag and trade situation.
I feel pretty certain they franchise him. No way they let this guy get away in Brady’s last years. 

King of the Jungle said:
If HOU doesn’t go out and outbid everyone for this guy they are just wasting Watson’s prime years. A little bit of an exaggeration but they need to show this guy some support by trying to makeup for giving Hopkins away.
HOU is way over the cap, the odds of them signing anyone of note are extremely low. Most likely they restructure Cooks and bring Fuller back on a 1 year prove it deal after his PED suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread