What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (1 Viewer)

Chris Godwin caught all six of his targets for 65 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Week 11 win over the Giants Monday night.

After scoring touchdowns Weeks 1 and 2, Godwin went scoreless four straight weeks but has now picked it back up with his third touchdown in the last four games after catching a 13-yard touchdown from Tom Brady on the game's opening drive. Godwin now has 55 yards and/or one touchdown in 9-of-10 games this season. The Bucs pulled their starters midway through the fourth quarter in this one with a 30-10 lead. Godwin will be a WR1 next week against the Colts.

Nov 22, 2021, 11:10 PM ET

Chris Godwin (knee) has been declared out for the remainder of Tampa's Week 15 game against the Saints. 

The fantasy playoffs apocalypse has arrived. The Bucs are now down to Tyler Johnson, Scotty Miller and Jaelon Darden at receiver, which really means they are down to Rob Gronkowski and Leonard Fournette. Cameron Brate, O.J. Howard and Ronald Jones also figure to have second half roles, though running Fournette and RoJo into the teeth of New Orleans' stout run defense probably isn't going to amount to much. Godwin was seen trying to warm up and return, so the rule out is concerning for his Week 16 prospects against the Panthers. 

RELATED: 

Mike Evans

Dec 19, 2021, 9:59 PM ET

Updated just now on GameDay Final... sprained MCL... MRI on Monday (Ian Rappaport was the source I believe).

Feel awful for him.  Amazing person.  I hope he's still able to land the monster contract in the off-season.

Colinsworth was spot on during the broadcast insisting the receiver is way more defenseless low versus high. 

Torn ACL sucks.  Still have nightmares of him torching the Badgers secondary in that Big 10 championship game.   He's a hell of a player hope he comes back strong in 2022.

Ugh. This is terrible news. My favorite player since I started playing FF a decade-plus ago. This sucks for him, for the team, for every fan of the game, really. 

I don't know if this is crass, but this is earnest: I was nervous when he played on the franchise tag and this just makes those fears concrete. I'd already worried he'd lost a step due to the constant blocking and pounding he so obviously took over his two-plus years with Arians and Leftwich. This won't help, and might dull his market. These guys should hold out and get whatever they can when they can get it. It's too stacked towards ownership. Look at A-Rob right now. His value has sunk like a stone. Get it while you can. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The NFLPA is the worst union in all of sports.
It's the most restricted sports industry when it comes to the age requirement, very few guys realize their second contract really, etc., etc. and on and on ad nauseum. 

The only thing I'll say in the NFLPA's defense -- and I'm no expert on the workings of it, I only know the results that flow therefrom -- is that given the nature of the careers in the NFL (so damn short) foregoing a year of pay to strike against billionaires is so damaging to the players' lifelong earnings that it'll never happen, and thus, the threat remains futile. 

Colinsworth was spot on during the broadcast insisting the receiver is way more defenseless low versus high. 

Got the feeling that Collinsworth was biting his tongue before the commercial break. I thought maybe his initial reaction was "cheap shot" or taking offense at the DB celebrating a low hit that left a WR on the ground (maybe both).

Much more composed and diplomatic with his answer after the break.

Got the feeling that Collinsworth was biting his tongue before the commercial break. I thought maybe his initial reaction was "cheap shot" or taking offense at the DB celebrating a low hit that left a WR on the ground (maybe both).

Much more composed and diplomatic with his answer after the break.
He went directly at his legs when he could have easily squared him up above the knee. 

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Chris Godwin will miss the remainder of the 2021 season after suffering a torn ACL in Week 15 against the Saints.

It was initially reported that Godwin would only miss the remainder of the regular season while nursing an MCL injury. Further testing revealed a torn ACL, sidelining Godwin through the end of the season entirely. It's a horrible blow to an offense that was beginning to flow through Godwin. He had 25 catches in two games leading up to Week 15 and racked up another six catches in the first few minutes of his matchup with the Saints. Godwin was playing under the franchise tag this year, making him an impending free agent for 2022. Although the injury could cloud his status for the early part of the 2022 season, he's likely to earn a massive, multi-year contract anyway. He ends his fifth NFL season with 98 catches for 1,108 yards and five scores in just 14 games.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 20, 2021, 2:51 PM ET

Feel awful for him.  Amazing person.  I hope he's still able to land the monster contract in the off-season.
When free agency rolls around, it will be only 3 months into his recovery. My guess is that he’ll  get a one-year prove it deal and if he’s healthy and productive, will get paid then.

It probably helps some of the other next level free agents after Adams, like Gallup, Robinson and Mike Williams with one fewer competitor.

Pardon my ignorance but are there varying degrees of ACL injuries?  I took it as a hopeful sign that they didn’t have to cart him off.  Maybe his recovery won’t be as bad/as long as others?  

I really hope he bounces back and gets paid like a WR of his caliber should be.

When free agency rolls around, it will be only 3 months into his recovery. My guess is that he’ll  get a one-year prove it deal and if he’s healthy and productive, will get paid then.

It probably helps some of the other next level free agents after Adams, like Gallup, Robinson and Mike Williams with one fewer competitor.
I’m hopeful the Bucs give him a long term deal. 

He went directly at his legs when he could have easily squared him up above the knee. 

Easier said than done at game speed.   Can`t hit high anymore so they have to go lower.

They go high they are loooking at fine, ejection or suspensions.  If they go low things like this happen. Defenders are in a tough spot.

If the NFL feels that is safer they need to revisit things.

still only 25, pretty sure someone will give him a long term deal. yeah it’s (generally) a 9 month injury but ACL recovery is fairly routine. they’re aren’t more than a handful of WRs who would be more coveted on the open market. not just a talent, he’s a low maintenance great teammate kind of guy.

woulf  love if he  comes north to join the MCDC revolution in Detroit. TB will likely pony up, but the Lions have a lot of cap room next year and they’ll be in the market.

Easier said than done at game speed.   Can`t hit high anymore so they have to go lower.

They go high they are loooking at fine, ejection or suspensions.  If they go low things like this happen. Defenders are in a tough spot.

I think this is a misinterpretation of the intent. You can't hit high but you can tackle high.

Somewhere along the line (I'd argue it was ESPN types showing the Big Hit as part of highlight shows) tackling has become a lost art.

Take the hit that got Kendricks ejected last night. He had zero intention of tackling Fields. He just wanted to hit him. So instead of being heads up, he leads with his shoulder and his head naturally follows.

A normal tackle, oversimplified, involves tackling with the chest.

The hit on Godwin was different, yet similar. The defender had no interest in tackling Godwin, only in hitting him. And not even hitting in an attempt to separate him from the ball, only on getting him to the ground.

Does this put defenders at a disadvantage? Sure it does. But offensive linemen can't hold either. Receivers can't crack back block. And the list goes on.

Injuries, especially to stars, make the game way less fun to watch. 

I think this is a misinterpretation of the intent. You can't hit high but you can tackle high.

Somewhere along the line (I'd argue it was ESPN types showing the Big Hit as part of highlight shows) tackling has become a lost art.

Take the hit that got Kendricks ejected last night. He had zero intention of tackling Fields. He just wanted to hit him. So instead of being heads up, he leads with his shoulder and his head naturally follows.

The hit on Godwin was different, yet similar. The defender had no interest in tackling Godwin, only in hitting him. And not even hitting in an attempt to separate him from the ball, only on getting him to the ground.

Does this put defenders at a disadvantage? Sure it does. But offensive linemen can't hold either. Receivers can't crack back block. And the list goes on.

I go to 5-6 HS games a year and it is the same thing.  The kids just try to blow the other players up with big hits.  At times they don`t even use their arms, they just launch like a missile.  I saw a dozen or more missile like tackles in Da Bears game last night as well.

I have an old VHS tape I bought at a garage sale called "NFL Crunch Course"     The NFL produced it with Steve Sabol commenting.  Many of the hits in it were players getting knocked out and or injured.  They don`t seem to mention that series anymore.

I go to 5-6 HS games a year and it is the same thing.  The kids just try to blow the other players up with big hits.  At times they don`t even use their arms, they just launch like a missile.  I saw a dozen or more missile like tackles in Da Bears game last night as well.
And I think this is what the NFL wants to get rid of. Unfortunately it's what players have been trained to do up to this point so I'm sure it IS difficult to change at the NFL level.

I don't disagree.  It's an NFL problem.  Not a player problem.  Other than the fact it's less impact on the defender's body to wipe the legs out instead of wrapping up the midsection with shoulders/arms and they won't get flagged/fined so it's the logical choice.

I'd much rather they flag the low hits than the high ones.  They protect linemen this way and defensive players in the open field.  But, you can wipe out dynamic receivers right at their legs with no repercussions?  Asinine.  

I’m hopeful the Bucs give him a long term deal. 
I could be reading the tea leaves wrong on injuries, but IMO it’s hard to see anyone but  the Bucs giving him a long term deal three months into his recovery. Taking care of their own, kind of like the Cowboys did with Dak. 

I could be reading the tea leaves wrong on injuries, but IMO it’s hard to see anyone but  the Bucs giving him a long term deal three months into his recovery. Taking care of their own, kind of like the Cowboys did with Dak. 
I can't think of a recent precedent, but I know there have been some guys who have signed lucrative deals coming off season ending injuries.  That being said, this one is definitely late in the year.

My fear is Tampa doesn't really have the cap room to give him a long term deal.  If there's any player worth a "red shirt" deal though it would be Godwin.  He signed his franchise tender without hesitation and has not complained.  He deserves it.

I can't think of a recent precedent, but I know there have been some guys who have signed lucrative deals coming off season ending injuries.  That being said, this one is definitely late in the year.

My fear is Tampa doesn't really have the cap room to give him a long term deal.  If there's any player worth a "red shirt" deal though it would be Godwin.  He signed his franchise tender without hesitation and has not complained.  He deserves it.
Bucs have 30M in space today. They have plenty of room to keep him and Carlton, which I expect they will do. Some others will have to go. 

Good thing is Chris already has over 20 million dollars in career earnings. Chris will play again but even if he could not he is set for life.

Good thing is Chris already has over 20 million dollars in career earnings. Chris will play again but even if he could not he is set for life.

That may be the publicized value of his collective contracts, but I would be surprised if his net worth was more than 10-20% of that.

I understand what you're saying, but lifestyle demands, investments (bad ones - potentially), lots of hands out from day one, govt/agents/other taking big chunks.

At his young age, "set for life" may not be accurate (yet).

That's assuming he's wise, and I think he's probably one of the wiser NFL players, but I don't know enough about him. But 20 million dollars is literally nothing if you're an idiot.

Bucs have 30M in space today. They have plenty of room to keep him and Carlton, which I expect they will do. Some others will have to go. 
They'll have a lot of decisions to make.  Of course based on the big domino.  Will Tom want to play another year without Gronk, AB, Jensen, Fournette, Godwin?  They're all free agents.  I wouldn't if I were him.  We kind of saw how that went on Sunday.

They'll have a lot of decisions to make.  Of course based on the big domino.  Will Tom want to play another year without Gronk, AB, Jensen, Fournette, Godwin?  They're all free agents.  I wouldn't if I were him.  We kind of saw how that went on Sunday.
I think all those guys are back, save Fournette maybe. Don’t pay any attention to how bad the 2025 Bucs will be though lol 

I think all those guys are back, save Fournette maybe. Don’t pay any attention to how bad the 2025 Bucs will be though lol 
 Brady will be 48 and still chugging along and they will have WRs and RBs who could be his sons. Unless he jumps ship to a contender.

Agreed.  One of the Eagles TEs, Stoll, took a similar low shot tonight and was hurt on the play.

I know people are saying  these hits are "legal" today but I was outspoken about the dangers of the "spearing/leading with the helmet technique" that was also legal but led to the defenseless receiver rules.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bucs have "higher interest" in re-signing Chris Godwin this offseason. 

The team doesn't seem spooked by Godwin's late-season ACL tear, as many players who suffer ACL injuries are able to return for the start of the next season. Fowler said Godwin -- who played in 2021 on the franchise tag -- likely won't be slapped with the tag in 2022 following the December knee injury. Though Godwin's fantasy value would largely hinge on whether Tom Brady returns to Tampa, it's worth noting Godwin was an elite fantasy option with Jameis Winston before the Brady era. Fowler mentioned the Patriots and Dolphins as potential free agency suitors for Godwin. Jaylen Waddle paired with Godwin would make for an intriguing receiver duo that could elevate Tua Tagovailoa as a fantasy option if he remains Miami's starting quarterback. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jan 28, 2022, 11:37 AM ET

Godwin was key to TB/TB success before he went down. I know his injury killed me in FF finals. No way to recover that kind of production. He didn't ghost like  Mike Evens somehow does every third game or whatnot. I think it was his injury that sunk Tampa's cannonball shooting ship more than anything or anyone else. 

The Tampa Bay Times reports the Bucs hope to reach a long-term agreement with impending free agent Chris Godwin. 

Reporter Rick Stroud indicates that the franchise tag will be a serious option for Godwin for the second consecutive year. That will leave Godwin with a mammoth cap charge, but one the Bucs can probably easily afford with Tom Brady coming off the books. Simply letting Godwin walk almost certainly is not in the cards despite his December ACL tear. We suppose a tag-and-trade is possible. Still only 26 (in three days), Godwin doesn't seem like he is going to have to settle for a one-year "prove-it" deal despite his knee woes. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Feb 24, 2022, 5:57 PM ET

I dislike how teams can franchise tag players two years in a row. Regardless, even though he had a late injury he should garner quite a bit of attention this off-season. Tampa may be a sinking ship if unable to find a QB and there are plenty of teams looking for wide receiver help. 

The Colts have plenty of cap room and just might make a play for him, but needs to resolve their QB situation first.  They are in a pickle.

I dislike how teams can franchise tag players two years in a row. Regardless, even though he had a late injury he should garner quite a bit of attention this off-season. Tampa may be a sinking ship if unable to find a QB and there are plenty of teams looking for wide receiver help. 
I figure tag and trade to a team that can work a long term contract makes sense here.  Jacksonville seems perfect for him. Chicago should also get their young QB help at WR if Arob doesn’t return. Both teams have cap space and the need. 

I figure tag and trade to a team that can work a long term contract makes sense here.  Jacksonville seems perfect for him. Chicago should also get their young QB help at WR if Arob doesn’t return. Both teams have cap space and the need. 
I was thinking Jacksonville as well as they need to do whatever it takes to find Trevor a best friend in the passing game.

Somehow I don't think they'll tag and trade him, especially to Jacksonville, who probably isn't going to want to part with the requisite first-round pick that Tampa would require for him when Jacksonville could get younger and cheaper at the position in the loaded '23 draft. 

I mean, who does Jacksonville have that Tampa would want that fits their system? Probably nobody. Somehow I just doubt tag-and-trade happens to him. I think maybe professional courtesy intervenes, though as I'm typing that I'm sort of laughing at myself. 

Somehow I don't think they'll tag and trade him, especially to Jacksonville, who probably isn't going to want to part with the requisite first-round pick that Tampa would require for him when Jacksonville could get younger and cheaper at the position in the loaded '23 draft. 

I mean, who does Jacksonville have that Tampa would want that fits their system? Probably nobody. Somehow I just doubt tag-and-trade happens to him. I think maybe professional courtesy intervenes, though as I'm typing that I'm sort of laughing at myself. 
I agree but if he hits the open market I think Jacksonville would be in on the action.

Users who are viewing this thread