What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Why is Hines Ward ranked so low? (1 Viewer)

DrJ

Footballguy
Looking at the consensus dynasty rankings, Hines Ward seems to be getting little respect and is ranked #15 despite being a top WR for several seasons now.

Chris Smith has guys like Walker, Burress, and Lee Evans in front of him.

Will Grant has guys like Burress and Walker ahead of him as well.

Cecil Lammey has Evans, Walker, and Braylon Edwards in front of him.

And it's very popular to have Andre Johnson ahead of him too.

Is it age? Because he really isn't that old. Torry Holt is merely 3 months younger, Owens and Harrison are older - none of these guys seem to get a serious ding for their age.

I've also seen a lot of people point to the fact that his reception numbers have dropped each season for the past few years. But if you look at the Pittsburgh passing numbers, one has a hard time concluding that this is because of Hines. The team has been passing less each season... in 00 he caught 32% of his team's completions. In 03, he caught 31% of his team's completions. In 04, he caught 35% of his team's completions. In 05, he caught 32% of his team's passes (outside of the 1 game he missed). The thing that's causing the receptions to be low these past 2 seasons is the fact that they haven't been passing. Despite that, he still managed to land in the top 10 WR's last season.

I really don't get it, and it seems like Hines is another one of those guys that puts up his numbers quietly and as a result gets overlooked...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Steelers game plan just doesnt give him that many opportunities for huge games. If the philosophy changes, then I could see bumping him up a few spots.

He's one of the best WR values right now. I have him on a few of my teams and there are only a few WRs that I'd trade him for. The great thing about Ward is that he's a solid WR1 on a team with a top notch QB. His production has been limited by Pittsburgh's low number of passing attempts, but he's still a top ten dynasty WR and a great weekly option.

I don't have any stats handy, but I'd venture to guess that his fantasy points/target ratio is among the best of any top 30 WR.

The Steelers game plan just doesnt give him that many opportunities for huge games. If the philosophy changes, then I could see bumping him up a few spots.
I think this is the big question, this year and into the future. As Ben progresses, wouldn't it logically follow that he'll throw more? Is Parker going to carry the ball more than 255 times? The Bus only had 110 carries last year, but Cowher knew he had a reliable RB if Parker broke down, and provide a breather. I guess I'm just not sold on Parker as the true workhorse, long term. So, logically, I would expect Pittsburgh to throw more.

1. He's now 30 years old and his receptions and yards have decreased 4 straight years now, to the point of being under 1000 last year. TDs can be touch and go and they're often hard to rely on (see the year before last when he scored only four).

He is historically one of the most underrated WR's from year to year. No big surprises here.

He will outperform his draft position as usual.

Burress ahead of him makes total sense, but lol @ Walker and Evans ahead of him. I wouldn't trust either of them as far as I could throw em for a variety of reasons. But having said that, actually I think all 3 are overpriced.

1. He's now 30 years old and his receptions and yards have decreased 4 straight years now, to the point of being under 1000 last year. TDs can be touch and go and they're often hard to rely on (see the year before last when he scored only four).
:goodposting:

Here is your answer. If you check out a player's 3 year trend while doing your draft homework and notice a 3 year decline in numbers, that should spook you a bit. I am not knocking his talent or heart, but most dynasty guys don't want a player on the decline.

Here is your answer. If you check out a player's 3 year trend while doing your draft homework and notice a 3 year decline in numbers, that should spook you a bit. I am not knocking his talent or heart, but most dynasty guys don't want a player on the decline.
I suggest anyone thinking this way should read the largest paragraph in the first post. 3 years ago the Steelers had 533 pass attempts. In '04, they had 358. In '05, they had 379 and Ward missed a game.Actually, disregard that. I don't want people realizing that! :wall:

I would say the same as OUKurt. If you look at even Harrison's numbers, for example, you will notice several years of declining catch numbers even though he has exceeded 70 catches (other than the injury year), 1000 yds, and 10 TDs in 10 straight years. But, Harrison is still being discounted .... for good reason. Why? Because four straight years of declining number of receptions and age, of course.

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Rushing | Receiving |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 1996 ind | 16 | 3 15 5.0 0 | 64 836 13.1 8 |

| 1997 ind | 16 | 2 -7 -3.5 0 | 73 866 11.9 6 |

| 1998 ind | 12 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 59 776 13.2 7 |

| 1999 ind | 16 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 115 1663 14.5 12 |

| 2000 ind | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 102 1413 13.9 14 |

| 2001 ind | 16 | 1 3 3.0 0 | 109 1524 14.0 15 |

| 2002 ind | 16 | 2 10 5.0 0 | 143 1722 12.0 11 |

| 2003 ind | 15 | 1 3 3.0 0 | 94 1272 13.5 10 |

| 2004 ind | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 86 1113 12.9 15 |

| 2005 ind | 15 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 82 1146 14.0 12 |

| TOTAL | 154 | 10 28 2.8 0 | 927 12331 13.3 110

Ward, too, has four straight years of declining reception totals. What is trent and what is circumstance? I do not know. But, with the numbers below, make your own determination:

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Rushing | Receiving |

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 1998 pit | 16 | 1 13 13.0 0 | 15 246 16.4 0 |

| 1999 pit | 16 | 2 -2 -1.0 0 | 61 638 10.5 7 |

| 2000 pit | 16 | 4 53 13.2 0 | 48 672 14.0 4 |

| 2001 pit | 16 | 10 83 8.3 0 | 94 1003 10.7 4 |

| 2002 pit | 16 | 12 142 11.8 0 | 112 1329 11.9 12 |

| 2003 pit | 16 | 11 61 5.5 0 | 95 1163 12.2 10 |

| 2004 pit | 16 | 7 25 3.6 1 | 80 1004 12.6 4 |

| 2005 pit | 15 | 3 10 3.3 0 | 69 975 14.1 11 |

| TOTAL | 127 | 50 385 7.7 1 | 574 7030 12.2 52

Not to beat a dead horse, but Ward's numbers have fallen off as the team has gotten back to smash-mouth football. IIRC, the Steelers' defense fell off when he had those big 2002 and 2003 seasons.

Fewer passing opportunities have limited his receptions despite the ongoing lack of a trustworthy #2 WR, and as noted previously, the TDs are unpredictable.

Now if the defense struggles (which I have no reason to believe it will), Ward's numbers may once again commensurately rise.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Ward's numbers have fallen off as the team has gotten back to smash-mouth football. IIRC, the Steelers' defense fell off when he had those big 2002 and 2003 seasons.

Fewer passing opportunities have limited his receptions despite the ongoing lack of a trustworthy #2 WR, and as noted previously, the TDs are unpredictable.

Now if the defense struggles (which I have no reason to believe it will), Ward's numbers may once again commensurately rise.
I think that's the beauty of Ward. 2005 was his floor and he was still a very productive player.

I think that's the beauty of Ward. 2005 was his floor and he was still a very productive player.
I don't know about that. I'd say 2004 was his floor and he wasn't a very productive player.

I don't know about that. I'd say 2004 was his floor and he wasn't a very productive player.
80 catches for 1,000 yards is a decent year when you're working with a rookie QB in a run-first and run-second offense. Ward has been very productive on a per-opportunity basis. Like Roethlisberger, the reason he's underrated is because his number of opportunities has been low and people are incorrectly assuming that it will remain that way.

I'd venture to guess that he was one of the best WRs in FF in terms of points per target. When his targets go up, the points should follow.

80 catches for 1,000 yards is a decent year when you're working with a rookie QB in a run-first and run-second offense. Ward has been very productive on a per-opportunity basis. Like Roethlisberger, the reason he's underrated is because his number of opportunities has been low and people are incorrectly assuming that it will remain that way.

I'd venture to guess that he was one of the best WRs in FF in terms of points per target. When his targets go up, the points should follow.
It's the 4 TDs that killed him in 2004, just like they killed him in 2001. In the last 5 years, he's had double digit TDs 3 times and less than 5 two times. A little hit or mi9ss there. He doesn't get the yards in that offense so if he doesn't get the TDs to make up for it, his point production suffers severely. Big Ben threw the same number of TDs in 2004 and 2005, most of them just happened to go to Ward last year. In 2004 they did not.

It's the 4 TDs that killed him in 2004, just like they killed him in 2001. In the last 5 years, he's had double digit TDs 3 times and less than 5 two times. A little hit or mi9ss there. He doesn't get the yards in that offense so if he doesn't get the TDs to make up for it, his point production suffers severely. Big Ben threw the same number of TDs in 2004 and 2005, most of them just happened to go to Ward last year. In 2004 they did not.
Echo:
Ward has been very productive on a per-opportunity basis. Like Roethlisberger, the reason he's underrated is because his number of opportunities has been low and people are incorrectly assuming that it will remain that way.
Ward finished 27th in the NFL in targets last season and was a top 15 FF WR in most leagues. Imagine what he could do with more opportunities. Better yet, don't imagine, just look at his 2002 stats. Low downside and high upside. Great pick and a great WR2. People will counter by noting Pittsburgh's tendency to be a run-first team, but Cowher's Steelers averaged 470 attempts per season during the O'Donnell years and roughly the same during the Maddox years. The idea that this team will never throw it more than 350 times in a season under Cowher is patently false. It completely contradicts his coaching history.

I fully expect the Steelers passing game to be a mild-to-major "surprise" in the next few years. They'll never be the 2001 Rams, but they could soon resemble the 2005 Seahawks or Colts in terms of passing attempts and yards. If that happens, there will be a lot of happy Ward and Roethlisberger owners.

Don't know man. They won the Superbowl with their current style of play. Can't see them changing much unless the running game isn't working........which I guess is possible.

Don't know man. They won the Superbowl with their current style of play. Can't see them changing much unless the running game isn't working........which I guess is possible.
In 2001, the New England Patriots won the Super Bowl. Tom Brady averaged 28.8 attempts per game. In 2002, Tom Brady averaged 37.7 attempts per game.

#### happens. Teams are constantly forced to adapt. Maybe it's the loss of key players on defense, maybe it's a response to stacked lines, maybe it's a result of a maturing offense. It doesn't really matter. The point is, teams are not bound by their previous year's results. I'd contend that any team is only a few lost players away from having to drastically alter its gameplan.

Pittsburgh may want to limit Roethlisberger to 20 attempts per game, but that doesn't mean they will always have that luxury. The bottom line for me is that Cowher's passing QBs have averaged 470 attempts. Given that Roethlisberger is easily better than either Maddox or O'Donnell, I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll eventually be granted similar opportunities. That will directly impact Ward.

In 2001, the New England Patriots won the Super Bowl. Tom Brady averaged 28.8 attempts per game. In 2002, Tom Brady averaged 37.7 attempts per game.

#### happens. Teams are constantly forced to adapt. Maybe it's the loss of key players on defense, maybe it's a response to stacked lines, maybe it's a result of a maturing offense. It doesn't really matter. The point is, teams are not bound by their previous year's results. I'd contend that any team is only a few lost players away from having to drastically alter its gameplan.

Pittsburgh may want to limit Roethlisberger to 20 attempts per game, but that doesn't mean they will always have that luxury. The bottom line for me is that Cowher's passing QBs have averaged 470 attempts. Given that Roethlisberger is easily better than either Maddox or O'Donnell, I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll eventually be granted similar opportunities. That will directly impact Ward.
2002 the Pats went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They didn't throw more because they wanted to but more because the had to. Same thing could happen to the Steelers but I doubt it's part of the gameplan. Ward could have a great year if thing's fall right, but barring the unforseen he seems pretty locked into his current stats. Good numbers but I think his current value is about right, locked into that 10-15 range for WRs.

2002 the Pats went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They didn't throw more because they wanted to but more because the had to. Same thing could happen to the Steelers but I doubt it's part of the gameplan.
It isn't part of the gameplan. That's fairly irrelevant. Teams are frequently forced to abandon their preferences in the face of adversity. That's why I have a real problem with the "Roethlisberger will never throw enough" argument that's so often bandied about. In addition to directly contradicting Cowher's history, this argument also leans on the faulty assumption that the Steelers will never be forced to abandon their run-first game plan.

I agree with EBF here. Ward is a great value. The Steelers realize Ben is their best player and will start to build the offense around him. In the past 2 years they've added first round receiving talents in Miller & Holmes. Of course the jury is still out on Holmes. And on top of that they have a pro bowler in Ward.

Their running game is in the hands of Parker who this time last year was nothing but an undrafted RB hoping to get an opportunity.

The handwriting is on the wall for the Steelers offense - They will become more of a passing team and the value of Ben, Ward & Miller will increase.

Just my opinion.

2002 the Pats went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They didn't throw more because they wanted to but more because the had to. Same thing could happen to the Steelers but I doubt it's part of the gameplan. Ward could have a great year if thing's fall right, but barring the unforseen he seems pretty locked into his current stats. Good numbers but I think his current value is about right, locked into that 10-15 range for WRs.
They didn't pass because of their team or record - that was the gameplan that season. That team came out firing. Week 1, Tom Brady threw 43 passes in a nationally televised game against the Steelers. He started throwing, he finished throwing, and in the middle - he threw. And it wasn't because they had to - they won 30-14.Week 2 was a 44-7 beating of the Jets. Tom Brady threw 35 passes in that game.

Week 3 they won in a high scoring 41-38 game against the Chiefs - they threw 54 times.

Week 4, they lost a relatively close one to the Chargers 21-14. 53 passes.

That team fully intended for Tom Brady to be the offense that season.

They didn't pass because of their team or record - that was the gameplan that season. That team came out firing. Week 1, Tom Brady threw 43 passes in a nationally televised game against the Steelers. He started throwing, he finished throwing, and in the middle - he threw. And it wasn't because they had to - they won 30-14.Week 2 was a 44-7 beating of the Jets. Tom Brady threw 35 passes in that game.

Week 3 they won in a high scoring 41-38 game against the Chiefs - they threw 54 times.

The defense let them down that year, especially the front 4. Went to a 3-4 the following year. The games Brady threw 40 or more passes, the defense let the opponent score almost 30 points per game in those contests. In the Pitt game, the running game wasn't working. Shootout against the Chiefs who were scoring at will. Chargers ran for over 200 yards against them.

The defense let them down that year, especially the front 4. Went to a 3-4 the following year. The games Brady threw 40 or more passes, the defense let the opponent score almost 30 points per game in those contests. In the Pitt game, the running game wasn't working. Shootout against the Chiefs who were scoring at will. Chargers ran for over 200 yards against them.
What was wrong with the running game in the Pittsburgh contest? Antowain Smith had 60 yards on only 17 carries, not all that terrible. They never once trailed in the game, and blew it wide open in the 3rd - they lead by 20 heading into the 4th. There really wasn't a reason for a 3-1 run to pass ratio in the game. Unless the gameplan was to run the offense through Brady.In a 44-7 whipping of the Jets, had Brady throwing 35 times compared to 40 carries.

In the KC game, they went down 10-0 on a TD 4 seconds into the 2nd. They tied it up by half and only trailed at one other point in the game after that. Despite never being in a desperate situation, they passed 54 times and ran it 20. 2.5 to 1! It's again completely disproportional to the situation.

Despite San Diego running the ball so effectively, they were never leading by any significant margin in that game so it really was not reason to abandon the run. The game was 14-14 at half, and 21-14 from 46 seconds into the 3rd and beyond. They were running the ball effectively, Smith had 78 on 16 carries. There really was no reason whatsoever for them to pass 53 times and run 23 in that game. Unless of course the gameplan was that the offense would go through Brady.

There really isn't much question that the offense ran through Brady that year by design. You don't come out and throw almost 3 times as much as you pass in a game that you never trail or 54 and 53 times in games where you don't trail significantly unless you want the ball in your QB's hands as much as possible.

I could definitely see the Steelers doing something similar at some point though. Who is the #1 offensive weapon on that team - Roeth, or Willie Parker? At some point they're going to have to do as the Patriots have done and use their best weapon as much as they can.

Except that, depsite losing Bettis, the targets aren't likely to go up much, if at all.Not that I wouldn't want him on my team, but someone will overpay for him IMO and it won't be me.

Except that, depsite losing Bettis, the targets aren't likely to go up much, if at all.Not that I wouldn't want him on my team, but someone will overpay for him IMO and it won't be me.
I've got to say I disagree with this. With Parker the primary RB and not lots behind him, you'd have to figure the Steelers will not pound the ball. Also, to keep teams from keying on Parker, they should be opening it up a bit. All that translates to more targets for Ward, not less. I'm not saying he gets more TD, but I would expect his number of receptions (based on the increased number of targets) to be in the 90-100 range.

Users who are viewing this thread