What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles Training Camp Report (1 Viewer)

Snotbubbles

Footballguy
Eagles Tuesday morning practice reportBy Marc Narducci

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The Eagles had a spirited practice in their first day at pads at Lehigh, but it was a workout that didn't include wide receiver Todd Pinkston.

Last year Pinkston suffered a season-ending ruptured Achilles tendon in his right foot during training camp.

Coach Andy Reid said that Pinkston's other Achillies was bothering him and that is why he was held out.

"He has a little bit of inflammation in that," Reid said. "We are working to get that out and see how he does in the next couple of days."

What was surprising was that Pinkston participated in the first two days of camp for selected veterans and rookies on Friday and Saturday. Not only did Pinkston participate, but he was a dominant performer during those two days. Reid had given Pinkston, Donovan McNabb and Lito Sheppard that Sunday practice off.

Pinkston is entering his seventh season. He has 184 receptions for 2,816 yards and 14 touchdowns and, if healthy, could be the Eagles best deep threat.

Also on the injury front, fullback Thomas Tapeh missed his fourth day of practice with a hamstring injury. Wide receivers Jeremy Bloom (hamstring) and Jason Avant (knee) remain on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list.

Other than that, everybody practiced, including offensive tackle William (formerly Tra) Thomas, who was held out of yesterday afternoon's workout for what Reid called "precautionary measures."

"I had lots of rust, but it was good to be back," said Thomas, who suffered a season-ending back injury on Nov. 20 against the New York Giants. "What is good is that my back feels good.

During training camp, the Eagles are expected to practice in pads in the mornings and then in shorts in the afternoons.

Based on the first workout in pads, the defense appeared ahead of the offense. Cornerback Sheldon Brown and newcomer Darren Howard, the free-agent defensive end from New Orleans, both made a number of impressive plays.

Howard insists that he wasn't doing anything special to impress his new teammates.

"This is the way I play, going after it hard," Howard said.

The feel-good story of camp, rehabbing running back Correll Buckhalter was on the field, but didn't take part in any live contact.

Buckhalter has missed the last two years with a torn patellar tendon in his right knee and missed the 2002 season with an ACL tear in his left knee.

"I may just play it by ear," Reid said after being asked when Buckhalter would take part in live contact. "I will see how he is doing and communicate with him and see how it works."

"I may just play it by ear," Reid said after being asked when Buckhalter would take part in live contact.
Good move, Coach. His ears have never been a problem, its those darn knees....

Probably the first time in the history of the English language that Pinkston and dominate have ever been used in the same sentence. :lmao:

Pac10 = Conference of Champions

Pinkston's 15.3 career YPR is pretty solid.

40/600/2 sounds about right for him opposite Brown. That seems pretty dominant.

Probably the first time in the history of the English language that Pinkston and dominate have ever been used in the same sentence.  Pac10 = Conference of Champions
Chad Johnson is too bad.EDIT: Pinkston went to Southern Mississippi

Last edited by a moderator:
Pinkston :lmao:

Anyone remember who the Eagles were playing when Pinkston "heard footsteps" and avoided catching a pass? I remember the announcers laughing about it, but I can't recall who they were playing.

Todd Pinkston was missed practice Tuesday

Published Tue Jul 25 2:11:00 p.m. ET 2006

(Rotoworld) Todd Pinkston was missed practice Tuesday after experiencing inflammation in his Achilles tendon.

Impact: Pinkston, who's lined up with the first team, was held out as a precautionary measure; it's not the same Achilles that sidelined him for all of last year. The Eagles will take it easy with Pinkston, keeping Ronald Curry's Achilles troubles in mind.

Eagles | Pinkston held out of practice

Published Tue Jul 25 3:32:00 p.m. ET 2006

(KFFL) Chris McPherson, of PhiladelphiaEagles.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Todd Pinkston (Achilles') was held out of the team's full-pad workout Tuesday, July 25, for precautionary reasons. Pinkston experienced some inflammation in his left Achilles' tendon. It is not the same tendon Pinkston ruptured during last year's training camp. "We're being cautious with Todd," said Eagles head coach Andy Reid. "His feet have been bothering him. We just backed off a little bit to make sure we're smart with it. (He won't return) until he gets his feet in condition."

:rant: <insert rant about people using "dominate" as an adjective.> :rant:

- particularly when it's spelled correctly in the article.

- and especially when it's about someone like Todd Stinkston

Sorry but any article that actually refers to Todd Pinkston as "dominant" is one that doesn't deserve anything beyond a cursory glance.

:X

Anyone else notice that Pinkston was "Dominant" in the "rookies'" and "select veterans" (read: new and injured) training camp?

(Rotoworld) Todd Pinkston was missed practice Tuesday after experiencing inflammation in his Achilles tendon.

Impact: Pinkston, who's lined up with the first team, was held out as a precautionary measure; it's not the same Achilles that sidelined him for all of last year. The Eagles will take it easy with Pinkston, keeping Ronald Curry's Achilles troubles in mind.

(KFFL) Chris McPherson, of PhiladelphiaEagles.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Todd Pinkston (Achilles') was held out of the team's full-pad workout Tuesday, July 25, for precautionary reasons. Pinkston experienced some inflammation in his left Achilles' tendon. It is not the same tendon Pinkston ruptured during last year's training camp. "We're being cautious with Todd," said Eagles head coach Andy Reid. "His feet have been bothering him. We just backed off a little bit to make sure we're smart with it. (He won't return) until he gets his feet in condition."
How do you do this? Just inquiring :eek:

Footwork in all likelihood. Which is what seperates the good receivers from the average ones. Considering Pinkston isn't exactly anything other than a straight ahead deep threat, shouldn't take him long.

Footwork in all likelihood. Which is what seperates the good receivers from the average ones. Considering Pinkston isn't exactly anything other than a straight ahead deep threat, shouldn't take him long.
Didn't realize you could let your feet get out of shape. Pick up some fat around the ankles? :confused:

IIRC It was his achilles he injured, might be Reid was talking about that.BTW Dominant in practice two days, sat Sunday and Tuesday....sounds about right

Didn't realize you could let your feet get out of shape. Pick up some fat around the ankles? :confused:
I think it is pretty easy to understand. In all likelihood, he's been rehabing while doing a lot of straight ahead running (treadmill)It's a whole different monster going from months of light work like treadmill (being that the achilles is so delicate) to then having to do agility drills (changing directions, etc that require quick change of direction).

Feet are very very easy to get out of shape. The great ones work on foot work every day. IMO The feet are far and away the most important asset to any player. Seperates the men from the boys. I'm one of the few people that doesn't get all riled up when the ESPN guys go nuts on "watch the feet". Hard not to appreciate quick feet on someone like Bettis.

Because I know people here like the small details:

Extra points

There were some interesting sights after practice yesterday. Among them was second-year wide receiver Reggie Brown working overtime catching passes from a JUGS machine while nearby, Reno Mahe and Timmy Chang practiced the art of holding for field goals and extra points. "It's a lot harder than it looks," Mahe said. "You have two seconds to get it right." Rookie Jeremy Bloom, on the PUP list with a strained hamstring, spent considerable time fielding punts from a JUGS machine
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/15121922.htm

#84 Hank Baskett is one to watch.  I mentioned him at the draft and after the Eagles got him for very cheap from Minnesota:

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

Play of the Day - Baskett

Baskett is making big catches and taking advantage of his opportunities.

Baskett for McMullen is looking quite a steal.
Jeff, I heard McNabb on Sirius today saying how Baskett has really impressed. But, I came away thinking that it was a qualified blessing more than an outright "star in the making". I did hear them say that he ran with the first team today because of the Pinkston injury. The one guy they really liked was Gaffney. I did not understand then why Baskett was running with first team if they loved Gaffney.

#84 Hank Baskett is one to watch. I mentioned him at the draft and after the Eagles got him for very cheap from Minnesota:

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

Jeff, I heard McNabb on Sirius today saying how Baskett has really impressed. But, I came away thinking that it was a qualified blessing more than an outright "star in the making". I did hear them say that he ran with the first team today because of the Pinkston injury. The one guy they really liked was Gaffney. I did not understand then why Baskett was running with first team if they loved Gaffney.
Not sure on that one. I heard #5 giving a big :thumbup: to Reggie Brown.The nice thing about Baskett is that he is a big target, and Philly needs one of those. He could be a Ernest Wilford type this year, especially with TDs.

It is REALLY early, but I can see Brown, Gaffney, Avant, Baskett, and Pinkston on this team. I can EASILY see Greg Lewis OUT. Bloom may be a PUP or a practice squad guy.

#84 Hank Baskett is one to watch.  I mentioned him at the draft and after the Eagles got him for very cheap from Minnesota:

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

Not sure on that one. I heard #5 giving a big :thumbup: to Reggie Brown.The nice thing about Baskett is that he is a big target, and Philly needs one of those. He could be a Ernest Wilford type this year, especially with TDs.

It is REALLY early, but I can see Brown, Gaffney, Avant, Baskett, and Pinkston on this team. I can EASILY see Greg Lewis OUT. Bloom may be a PUP or a practice squad guy.
I agree, Lewis was 4th on the depth chart last I checked. I have liked Lewis at times. I wonder how he'd do on another team.wannabe,

Gaffney is a very good fit as a slot WR IMO. Normally in camp teams bounce WRs all over the depth chart especially in the beginning of camp. What's almost sad is if Baskett did poorly, he may not have played with the first unit again all summer. The chance for young WRs to shine in camp(other than high picks) is very very limitted. It's a much harder spot to make an impact than most people think. Often times they stink and get nervous at first and are stuck on the 3rd unit. Then they do well in one preseason game and get another chance to show what they can do with the first unit. It truly is making the best of limitted opportunities.

Hey Jeff,

Owens came to the Eagles as a great pro bowl WR. Skipping him. Name me a very good Eagles WR over the last handful of years? Pretty tough huh?

Why is that?

Eagles don't use them enough? McNabb's passing yards are fairly high, should be suffice to produce a very good WR right?

At what point do you think lack of production should equal any organization reviewing their position coach's coaching ability? For this, WR coach.

Well let me ask.

Iggle fans...is this finally the year your team brings a championship to Philadelphia?

I live in Philly and I swear I have never seen fans that, every single year, firmly believe their team is, by far, the best team in the NFL. Sometimes it borders on comical. But I do give credit for blind homerism.

Well let me ask. Iggle fans...is this finally the year your team brings a championship to Philadelphia?I live in Philly and I swear I have never seen fans that, every single year, firmly believe their team is, by far, the best team in the NFL. Sometimes it borders on comical. But I do give credit for blind homerism.
Talent-wise they have just as good a chance this year as any team in the NFL. Usually teams that get to the Superbowl are the ones that limit/overcome injuries. The Eagles are in better position this year to deal with injuries then they were last year.

Hey Jeff,

Owens came to the Eagles as a great pro bowl WR. Skipping him. Name me a very good Eagles WR over the last handful of years? Pretty tough huh?

Why is that?

Eagles don't use them enough? McNabb's passing yards are fairly high, should be suffice to produce a very good WR right?

At what point do you think lack of production should equal any organization reviewing their position coach's coaching ability? For this, WR coach.
Bri,Good questions.

I was incorrect when I first thought that Harold Carmichael was the WR coach - instead it is David Culley. I have NO IDEA who this guy is, but he's been here the whole time with Andy Reid.

I think we have a new guy to get rid of in Philly.

As far as McNabb, he's the consummate "hit whomever is open" guy. He can throw for 3200+ yards and still not have a 1,000-yard receiver, which is odd for many franchises. In fact, he had over 3,200 yards in 2003 yet didn't have any receiver over 600 yards.

The team gets production from the WRs, but nothing spectacular from any particular wideout. It is a WRBC situation. I really don't like that idea and I hope Reggie Brown starts to change that, but that's what has happened in non-TO games.

I am very encouraged by this year's group of young WRs, including Gaffney.

Pinky and Lewis can go.

#84 Hank Baskett is one to watch. I mentioned him at the draft and after the Eagles got him for very cheap from Minnesota:

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

Do you know how many times Na Brown, Greg Lewis, Gari Scott and Chris T. Jones had "plays of the day" in prior camps? Honestly, let's not confuse Hank Baskett situation for what it is...he competing for a chance to make the team as the 5th WR and it will have a lot more to do with his ability to play special teams than it will how well he catches the ball.

Well let me ask.

Iggle fans...is this finally the year your team brings a championship to Philadelphia?

I live in Philly and I swear I have never seen fans that, every single year, firmly believe their team is, by far, the best team in the NFL. Sometimes it borders on comical. But I do give credit for blind homerism.
Part of that belief comes from the recent success. They have won the NFC East for the past few seasons and were in 3 of 4 NFC Title games prior to last year's fiasco, so of course they believe that they CAN do it. Doesn't mean they will.I don't know how long you've lived in Philly, but prior to 2000 the outlook for the Eagles was pretty bleak before Andy Reid. The Eagles were competitive under Buddy Ryan and had a few good seasons with Ray Rhodes, but there were certain years (3-13 one season) that there was NO WAY we were going anywhere. I believe that 3-13 finish was 1998 as that was how we got McNabb.

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

Do you know how many times Na Brown, Greg Lewis, Gari Scott and Chris T. Jones had "plays of the day" in prior camps? Honestly, let's not confuse Hank Baskett situation for what it is...he competing for a chance to make the team as the 5th WR and it will have a lot more to do with his ability to play special teams than it will how well he catches the ball.
Yeah but "McNabb throws another TD in the Baskett" would sound pretty cool on Sundays......

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

I disagree Jason, to some degree.Baskett was supposed to be a first day draft pick selection that slipped for some reason. He has good skills and size and can be the end zone target or a 4th WR for the team, getting on the field more often than the likes of a Billy McMullen.

I'm not saying Baskett is going to challenge for the #2 starter position - but he could be a good situational WR for the Eagles and catch the goal line / red zone fade pattern and rack up a few TDs this year.

If Baskett is our 4th/5th best WR, I say we have a much better outlook than many would suspect.

My tentative rankings of the WRs prior to camp:

1. Reggie Brown

2. Jabar Gaffney

3. Todd Pinkston

4. Jason Avant

5. Hank Baskett

6. Greg Lewis

7. Jeremy Bloom

1. Reggie Brown

2. Jabar Gaffney

3. Todd Pinkston

4. Jason Avant

5. Hank Baskett

6. Greg Lewis

7. Jeremy Bloom
seems a bit low for Lewis...I like Gaffney at #2.

Like the Chris T Jones reference but he was no Gari Scott or Na Brown. Injuries killed him - he was pretty productive with Rodney Peete at the helm.

Really hoping the birds manage to trade for Porter. I like Gaffney this year and think he'll be very productive in that offense.

1. Reggie Brown

2. Jabar Gaffney

3. Todd Pinkston

4. Jason Avant

5. Hank Baskett

6. Greg Lewis

7. Jeremy Bloom
seems a bit low for Lewis...I like Gaffney at #2.
Yes, this is a personal bias against Lewis.He was the most targeted WR in Philly last year (105 targets) yet caught only 48 for 561 yards. A catch percentage that low (44%) MIGHT be acceptable for a deep threat, but Lewis' yards per catch was just 11.7.

He was terrible. They would be best to get rid of him.

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

I disagree Jason, to some degree.Baskett was supposed to be a first day draft pick selection that slipped for some reason. He has good skills and size and can be the end zone target or a 4th WR for the team, getting on the field more often than the likes of a Billy McMullen.

I'm not saying Baskett is going to challenge for the #2 starter position - but he could be a good situational WR for the Eagles and catch the goal line / red zone fade pattern and rack up a few TDs this year.

If Baskett is our 4th/5th best WR, I say we have a much better outlook than many would suspect.

1. Reggie Brown

2. Jabar Gaffney

3. Todd Pinkston

4. Jason Avant

5. Hank Baskett

6. Greg Lewis

7. Jeremy Bloom
Unless injury mandates it, the Eagles aren't going to carry two much less three rookie WRs. It's an intensely difficult position to master in Reid's system and again, this is the NFL...WRs 4-5-6 better be excellent special teamers.Another major stumbling block for Baskett is his contractual status. The Eagles aren't going to cut Avant or Bloom unless they're complete busts because they're under rookie contracts by virtue of being drafted. Baskett is an undrafted free agent, it's VERY hard for UFAs to make veteran teams; much less make a contribution.

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

1. Reggie Brown

2. Jabar Gaffney

3. Todd Pinkston

4. Jason Avant

5. Hank Baskett

6. Greg Lewis

7. Jeremy Bloom
Unless injury mandates it, the Eagles aren't going to carry two much less three rookie WRs. It's an intensely difficult position to master in Reid's system and again, this is the NFL...WRs 4-5-6 better be excellent special teamers.Another major stumbling block for Baskett is his contractual status. The Eagles aren't going to cut Avant or Bloom unless they're complete busts because they're under rookie contracts by virtue of being drafted. Baskett is an undrafted free agent, it's VERY hard for UFAs to make veteran teams; much less make a contribution.
With Bloom's injury, I would think carrying him on the PUP would suffice.I think the shoo-ins are the first 4 names, and then it is a battle for 5th and/or 6th.

Well let me ask. Iggle fans...is this finally the year your team brings a championship to Philadelphia?I live in Philly and I swear I have never seen fans that, every single year, firmly believe their team is, by far, the best team in the NFL. Sometimes it borders on comical. But I do give credit for blind homerism.
Talent-wise they have just as good a chance this year as any team in the NFL. Usually teams that get to the Superbowl are the ones that limit/overcome injuries. The Eagles are in better position this year to deal with injuries then they were last year.
:no:There are a strong set of arguments to make that they are the worst team in their division. They certainly did the least of any team in that division to improve themselves, and are the only team in the division to suffer a net loss of talent when TO went from them to Dallas (not saying they should have kept him BTW, but still).

Baskett watch

Part 2

First Sighting

and now....

:goodposting: Every team has one, and many have two, WR's rated no better than 4th best on their depth chart (and often who figure to be put on the practice squad or cut) who light up the preseason. The guy like that on the 'Skins this year is Mike Espy (great sports name) who is their 6th WR and who, if he's lucky, will make the practice squad. His name presently, however, repeatedly graces almost every blog entry being made about the camp practices.

Users who are viewing this thread