What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electricians and/or Electrical Gurus (1 Viewer)

The Commish

Footballguy
I need some help.  I replaced a ceiling fan with an overhead light.  The set up prior to disconnect was that I had the predictable two switches on the wall for the ceiling fan.  One controlled the the fan, the other the light.  On a different wall, I had a switch that controlled the light only.  Wiring the overhead light, I was left with the red wire that didn't have anywhere to hook up, so I capped it and stuck it back in the ceiling.  Well, now the switch that controlled the light only doesn't work at all.  I assume that's because it's hooked to the red wire.  The other switch works fine.  I don't think it's correct to simply hook the red wire to the black right?  What's the right way to remedy this?  Is it to buy a couple three was switches and replace the old switches?  Or, should I disconnect black/black and connect the black from the light to the RED instead of black in the ceiling?

So you want the old switch that controlled the fan to no longer be used and you want both switches that controlled the light to control the new light? Right now, just the old fan switch is controlling the light?

So you want the old switch that controlled the fan to no longer be used and you want both switches that controlled the light to control the new light? Right now, just the old fan switch is controlling the light?
Yeah....I got it.  I switched to the red wire.  So I have black from the light running to red from the ceiling.  I wasn't thinking clearly with two obnoxious kids running around the house :lol:  

In retrospect, it was a pretty stupid question.

The Commish said:
Yeah....I got it.  I switched to the red wire.  So I have black from the light running to red from the ceiling.  I wasn't thinking clearly with two obnoxious kids running around the house :lol:  

In retrospect, it was a pretty stupid question.
No worries.  I sometimes I just need to hear it in a different voice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread