What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN Article on Brady & Kraft Sabotaging the Future for Brady's Ego (1 Viewer)

All anybody had to do was look at SPOTRAC for Tom Brady/NE and it was clear it was impossible unless Jimmy G gave the Pats a sweetheart deal for 2018. I posted the details Friday. The decision was made Feb 2016 when they extended Brady. Amazing how many people hate the Pats and don't research the facts.

Last edited:
The issue wasn't whether they could keep both, they couldn't. The issue is which one would be kept. Sounds like they aren't on the same page at best & a major conflict at worst.

I have a hunch Kraft is full of it. I don't believe for a second he was taken "aback". I think it's what he wanted, but either way, why come out & say something negative?

There's something there. Again, I don't know if it's a long-term problem yet, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hunch Kraft is full of it. I don't believe for a second he was taken aback. I think it's what he wanted, but either way, why come out & say something negative?

There's something there. Again, I don't know if it's a long-term problem yet, though.
:thumbup:

They should have kept JG and traded or cut Brady.  It's a business and long term success dictated they keep JG.  Having said that, if the Patriots select "the right" QB in this year's draft, then they will be OK.  It carries more risk than JG, but it is a very good QB class.
What? Get rid of the QB that has helped you win 5 Super bowls and this year led the team to a 13-3 record and #1 seed for a player that hasn't done anything? AMAZING! That's a Jimmy G lover's logic. The decision was made when they extended Brady.

Last edited:
Does Sam Bradford count?
No. #1 overall pick and five year starter vs. a guy that played five quarters in four years. Not the same. 

To clarify, I meant players on their first contract with little to no starting experience. No one some one like that goes for the #1 and #4 overall picks. I can’t remember when someone in that situation went for a first round pick. 

What? Get rid of the QB that has helped you win 5 Super bowls and this year led the team to a 13-3 record and #1 seed for a player that hasn't done anything? AMAZING! That's a Jimmy G lover's logic.
Brady is getting old and Jimmy is young and was apparently ready. I mean you can't call BB a genius then say he didn't know how good Jimmy was. What Brady has done ten years ago means nothing. This is a business and the Patriots are near implosion with the way they're going.

When was the last time a back up QB was traded for a first round pick, let alone the first and fourth overall picks. You guys are cray cray. The going rate for an unproven back up (unless five quarters of football makes JG proven) has pretty much been a high second round pick. 
Sam Bradford last year?

How about Trent Green? He was traded for a 1st after Kurt Warner broke out.

Rob Johnson? He was traded for the #9 pick after starting just 1 game in 3 seasons.

Steve Walsh? Got beat out by Aikman his rookie season, then Dallas shipped him to New Orleans for a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

There were lots of others in the '70s and '80s.

Sam Bradford last year?

Rob Johnson? He was traded for the #9 pick after starting just 1 game in 3 seasons.

Steve Walsh? Got beat out by Aikman his rookie season, then Dallas shipped him to New Orleans for a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

These are very different then the Pats spot. The one that comes close would be Farve and the Falcons, but I can't remember what they got for him.

Sam Bradford last year?

Obviously Yudkin means besides those

Sam Bradford last year?

These are very different then the Pats spot. The one that comes close would be Farve and the Falcons, but I can't remember what they got for him.
I didn't mention Favre because he was a projected starter who clashed with his coach. (But he was technically a backup when he was traded, and he was traded for a 1st round pick.)

I think Rob Johnson is a very good comparison to Garoppolo. He sat on Jacksonville's bench for 3 years (because he couldn't beat out Mark Brunell) and then was traded for the #9 overall pick (Fred Taylor) plus a 4th rounder.

None of this is even a foot note if SF went 1-4 under JG. No one knew what he would turn into after two career starts. And realistically we still don’t know all that much other than he did well so far. 

I still think cutting the most likely league MVP after winning the SB last year would be lunacy. Trading him for an unproven commodity when he was the highest rated QB based on effiency for two straight years would have met with revolt by the fan base. 
Then they will have to live with the long term repercussions of their actions.

None of this is even a foot note if SF went 1-4 under JG. No one knew what he would turn into after two career starts. And realistically we still don’t know all that much other than he did well so far. 

I still think cutting the most likely league MVP after winning the SB last year would be lunacy. Trading him for an unproven commodity when he was the highest rated QB based on effiency for two straight years would have met with revolt by the fan base. 
Since we are making up alternative universes, what if the day after the trade Brady gets into a car accident and can never play football again?  How does the trade shake out then?

Since we are making up alternative universes, what if the day after the trade Brady gets into a car accident and can never play football again?  How does the trade shake out then?
Why be that improbable?  What if Brady arrives in Cleveland, takes one look at the team and facilities, and announces his retirement?

Brady is getting old and Jimmy is young and was apparently ready. I mean you can't call BB a genius then say he didn't know how good Jimmy was. What Brady has done ten years ago means nothing. This is a business and the Patriots are near implosion with the way they're going.
It's what he has done this year., 13-3 record and #1 seed. Some implosion, they have Brady/Hoyer and 17 million in cap space. They can draft a QB in the upcoming draft and move merrily along. Kraft also explained why they traded with SF, 2nd rounder and Hoyer. Shows how much fans and media knows. .

Last edited:
Today, yes. In a few years?

Of course if they're able to draft the next guy it works. If not we'll see 
There is little reason to think as of now Brady doe not play 2-3 more years barring injury, if he wins another SB then add 2 years to that win. So, again, question is that can they find and get a guy ready in that time frame. I really don't think they ever trade him, maybe a release like Manning. 

Sam Bradford last year?

UNPROVEN guys that made one or two starts traded in the past decade.

As already posted, Bradford started for 5 years and was the first overall pick.
Trent Green had already started for a year and was traded in 2000.
Rob Johnson was 20 years ago. Walsh was 28 years ago.

In more recent years . . .

Matt Flynn . . . 5th round pick and a conditional pick
Billy Volek . . . conditional 6th round pick
AJ Feeley . . . 2nd round pick
Matt Schaub . . . two 2nd round picks
Matt Hasselbeck . . .flipped 1st round picks (6 spots) and a 3rd round pick
Charlie Whitehurst . . . flipped 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick
Kevin Kolb . . . DRC and a 2nd round pick
Ryan Mallett . . . conditional 6th round pick
Drew Stanton . . . flip of 6th and 7th round picks
Jacoby Brissett . . . Phillip Dorsett

Lol. Browns fans so brain washed by mgmt the now dislike the idea of rostering good players
Does Brady make this team a super bowl contender or something?  Last I checked we still have the same roster and more importantly the same idiot coach.  Wow, we would get Brady for 2-3 years of MAYBE a wild card playoff berth for picks 1 and 4.  Sounds awesome.  

Unless BB, Mcdaniels, Gronk, and a couple other players come with it, no thanks.  Worst trade ever.

Does Brady make this team a super bowl contender or something?  Last I checked we still have the same roster and more importantly the same idiot coach.  Wow, we would get Brady for 2-3 years of MAYBE a wild card playoff berth for picks 1 and 4.  Sounds awesome.  

Unless BB, Mcdaniels, Gronk, and a couple other players come with it, no thanks.  Worst trade ever.
Agreed, for the browns. But given their track record those 3 years would be more than you've gotten from their picks anyway.

It's not that different than a ff owner trading the 1.01 for Antonio brown. In theory anyway, but there's really money involved and it's harder to make your real team a contender.

Agreed, for the browns. But given their track record those 3 years would be more than you've gotten from their picks anyway.

It's not that different than a ff owner trading the 1.01 for Antonio brown. In theory anyway, but there's really money involved and it's harder to make your real team a contender.
Just cause something is better than what we have doesnt make it good.  

Also, it's completely different than trading pick 1 for Brown.  Brown is going to produce.  Brady coming HERE, with THESE players and THIS coach??  It's more like a cellar dwellar with zero good players trading pick 1 for Brown so that they can try and go 4-9 rather than 1-12.

At least with the picks and possibilities there is a CHANCE for success.  Giving those up for a 40 year old QB with this roster and coaching staff ensure zero success.  

Just cause something is better than what we have doesnt make it good.  

Also, it's completely different than trading pick 1 for Brown.  Brown is going to produce.  Brady coming HERE, with THESE players and THIS coach??  It's more like a cellar dwellar with zero good players trading pick 1 for Brown so that they can try and go 4-9 rather than 1-12.

At least with the picks and possibilities there is a CHANCE for success.  Giving those up for a 40 year old QB with this roster and coaching staff ensure zero success.  
Not sure where in this thread a Brady trade to the Browns was first posted and I don't care, because it is a stupid idea and not remotely possible.  Even more amazing are those still debating it.

Here's my take on this (probably covered already but I'm not reading 10 pages here)

The author of the article would have us believe that Kraft told BB that Brady is not to be traded ... so trade JG.

I'm having a hard time imagining Kraft and son calling BB into their office to discuss the future of Brady with the team ... and

a) BB not fighting for what he wanted and what was best for the team going forward.

If BB felt strongly that JG was the future of the franchise, I'm sure he would be able to convince his boss.

b) the Krafts not letting BB run the team as he sees fit. Kraft has allowed many fan favorite vet players be traded without questioning BB.

Krafts want what's best for the team ... same as BB.

It makes much more sense that BB kept JG on as long as possible to make sure Brady was still playing at a high level (and was not injured).

BB was asked in his weekly conference call and indicated he will ABSOLUTELY be back as NE head coach next year.

There have multiple Wickersham interviews, where several more inconsistencies have come to light. While he stands on his reporting, there appears to have been reports of meetings that never happened. In one instance, he cited in his article a closed door meeting with BB and upper management that started first thing in the morning and last half the day or longer. When pressed about it, he had little to offer about how long the meeting ran or how he heard about such a meeting that was said to have been attended by BB and the Krafts. Since Wickersham apparently did not speak with BB or the Krafts, when asked how he knew about the meeting or what was discusses, he got flustered and said he stood by his report.

Wickersham went on to mention that he did interview "multiple" players and staff. But once again, those people would not be involved in player personnel moves or trades. In this regard, who he spoke to and their access on executive level discussions and decision-making seemed a little hazy. So short of interviewing ownership or BB, how he got whatever information he got (or how he speculated what he did) seems a little fuzzy.

The logical candidate on how things went down with Jimmy G. would be his agent (who is also Brady's agent). Wickersham also indicated he had covert meetings with people associated with the team at 5:00 AM and later than 10:00 PM. I am not sure who would be willing to divulge internal information to an ESPN reporter at that time of day, especially given the Cone of Silence mentality of the franchise.

For the Pats?  Ehhh maybe.  it would turn the Browns around completely.  5 years of All Pro+ QB for 2 1sts?  Who wouldn't take that?
5 years? lol  He might have one more in him. He'll be 41 next year. He's already outperforming his age by a mile. When father time catches up to him, it is going to be rapid and dramatic. Think Peyton Manning. League MVP in 2013. Terrible by 2015. And he wasn't as old as Brady is now.  The Browns are young and have a wealth of picks coming. They are building for the future. Hoping the talents matures in 2 or 3 years to make them a contender. Brady will be average at best by then. Maybe even out of football.  Browns fans would run ownership out of town if they traded even one of those picks away for Brady at this point. 

Thought experiment: What if the Pats and Broncos had drafted each other's backup QBs? So the Pats take Osweiler in '12 and the Broncos take Jimmy G in '14.

Not sure how it would have played out for the Pats. Osweiler may have been gone from the team by the time he was needed to fill-in during Brady's suspension. Maybe they draft someone else who also doesn't represent a threat to Brady. Or maybe it shifts their timetable so that the new QB is ready to step in as Brady retires.

But for the Broncos, it would have worked out beautifully. Jimmy sits on the bench in 2014 and then, as Peyton starts to slip in '15, Garoppolo is available to come in and spell him. Following year Peyton rides off into the sunset and the Broncos have their starting QB available for possibly the next decade. Maybe Kubiak even sticks around for another year or two.

...There have multiple Wickersham interviews, where several more inconsistencies have come to light. While he stands on his reporting, there appears to have been reports of meetings that never happened. In one instance, he cited in his article a closed door meeting with BB and upper management that started first thing in the morning and last half the day or longer. When pressed about it, he had little to offer about how long the meeting ran or how he heard about such a meeting that was said to have been attended by BB and the Krafts. Since Wickersham apparently did not speak with BB or the Krafts, when asked how he knew about the meeting or what was discusses, he got flustered and said he stood by his report...
I believe that Wickersham was on WEEI this morning and they discredited some of his sourcing. Wickersham reported that he talked to multiple players who gave him his info on Brady. But he wouldn't answer how many players he talked to. Not even anything as simple as 'more than one'.

Sooo the wheels are off this wagon, and turning out to be 90% fabrication by ESPN? 

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked. :lol:  

His conference call was definite but if you somehow need more. From Mike Reiss' twitter about BB WEEI's interview today.

Bill Belichick described his relationship with Robert Kraft and Tom Brady as “great” and then added that he feels he has a good professional relationship with Alex Guerrero.

Q: Was there a mandate from Patriots' owner Robert Kraft to trade Jimmy Garoppolo?

BB: Mike [Giardi], I haven't read the article. I've already commented at length about that situation. Nothing has happened since then, so I don't have anything to add to it.

Q: In the ESPN article last week, you were characterized as furious and demoralized following a discussion regarding the future of the quarterback position. Would that be an accurate characterization?

BB: Well, first of all, I don't really know what you're talking about. I haven't read the article, so I don't know what that refers to. Look, Mike [Reiss], we've been through this before and I know you want to report on things that are inaccurate and unattributable and I'm not really interested in responding to all of those random and, I would say in a lot of cases, baseless comments.

Q: Is your intention to definitely be back with the Patriots next season?

BB: Absolutely.

Last edited:
Sooo the wheels are off this wagon, and turning out to be 90% fabrication by ESPN? 

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked. :lol:  
Because the Patriots would never put false information out there? Did you read their website during deflategate? :lmao:

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, as usual.

Because the Patriots would never put false information out there? Did you read their website during deflategate? :lmao:

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, as usual.
I agree their r 2 sides to every story and the truth most often is found in the middle.

However I'm curious, do u have a list of the false information they put on their web site during deflategate that u can share?

His conference call was definite but if you somehow need more. From Mike Reiss' twitter about BB WEEI's interview today.

Bill Belichick described his relationship with Robert Kraft and Tom Brady as “great” and then added that he feels he has a good professional relationship with Alex Guerrero.

Q: Was there a mandate from Patriots' owner Robert Kraft to trade Jimmy Garoppolo?

BB: Mike [Giardi], I haven't read the article. I've already commented at length about that situation. Nothing has happened since then, so I don't have anything to add to it.

Q: In the ESPN article last week, you were characterized as furious and demoralized following a discussion regarding the future of the quarterback position. Would that be an accurate characterization?

BB: Well, first of all, I don't really know what you're talking about. I haven't read the article, so I don't know what that refers to. Look, Mike [Reiss], we've been through this before and I know you want to report on things that are inaccurate and unattributable and I'm not really interested in responding to all of those random and, I would say in a lot of cases, baseless comments.

Q: Is your intention to definitely be back with the Patriots next season?

BB: Absolutely.
Zero percent chance that Belichick hasn't read the article. Just a convenient way of saying no comment to every question. 

Just curious, do u have a list of the false information they put on their web site during deflategate that u can share?
Typical hater. I've posted spotrac info, BB, Kraft, Brady statements from different sites. Now they are statements from Mike Reiss' twitter about WEEI interviews. 

It shows how ignorant people are when spotrac is really the only info that is needed.

Last edited:
Just curious, do u have a list of the false information they put on their web site during deflategate that u can share?
Do you think I kept a screenshot or something? 

I read it at the time and laughed my ### off how disingenuous they were.

One of their statements was that the Dorito Dinks nickname was "the Deflator" because he was on a diet and trying to lose weight. :lmao:  

Zero percent chance that Belichick hasn't read the article. Just a convenient way of saying no comment to every question. 
FWIW, But he didn't just say no comment to every question, among other things he specifically said he did not meet with goodell last week......

Haters are experts. Think he might be busy.doing other things. If I was him I wouldn't read it either.

Do you think I kept a screenshot or something? 

I read it at the time and laughed my ### off how disingenuous they were.

One of their statements was that the Dorito Dinks nickname was "the Deflator" because he was on a diet and trying to lose weight. :lmao:  
Haha, so in other words u have 1 thing u claim is false information (do u even know how many times the term "deflator" was used in a txt, or even when the term was used?)

You don't need a screenshot, let me help you - https://wellsreportcontext.com/

Have fun..

Haha, so in other words u have 1 thing u claim is false information (do u even know how many times the term "deflator" was used in a txt, or even when the term was used?)

You don't need a screenshot, let me help you - https://wellsreportcontext.com/

Have fun..
I'm really not interested in rehashing Deflate gate and I'm also not shocked you would buy into what the Pats shoveled out in response to the allegations. Like I said in these cases the truth is usually somewhere in the middle (which was the only reason I even brought it up).

I've made many positive comments in this thread supporting how the Patriots handled this situation and how they had no realistic choice but to trade Jimmy. I'm sure the ESPN article is overly sensationalized to some extent and I'm sure there is some dissension in the Pats ranks regarding the TB12 situation as well as to what the lies in the future. Do I expect Belichick to leave after this season or for the Pats to not win the Super Bowl this year? I do not. 

Haters are experts. Think he might be busy.doing other things. If I was him I wouldn't read it either.
An article from the #1 sports news company in the world regarding the state of his franchise, speaking largely about Belichick in specific. Uh, we both know he read it.  

I'm really not interested in rehashing Deflate gate and I'm also not shocked you would buy into what the Pats shoveled out in response to the allegations. Like I said in these cases the truth is usually somewhere in the middle (which was the only reason I even brought it up).

I've made many positive comments in this thread supporting how the Patriots handled this situation and how they had no realistic choice but to trade Jimmy. I'm sure the ESPN article is overly sensationalized to some extent and I'm sure there is some dissension in the Pats ranks regarding the TB12 situation as well as to what the lies in the future. Do I expect Belichick to leave after this season or for the Pats to not win the Super Bowl this year? I do not. 
I was just calling you on what i considered to be a bit of a gratuitous shot on my boys and willing to let it go though asking for support of an assertion doesn't equate to me believing everything one side or the says either. I have no wish to rehash either so lets just move on.

And yes ive agreed with you on most of your take in this thread and posted as much. Some of whats in the article is likely true and some of it isn't. I am glad to know that BB didn't have a date with rodger last week and contrary to some reports he will more than likely remain next year. As for ne repeating I have my doubts, paper thin in spots, D not as good as last yr and just can't get off the field at times. They are getting healthier than they have been in a while so maybe they will be all right but I can't help but feel there is reason for hope in patriot hater nation this year (u know pretty much the entire country).  

Users who are viewing this thread