What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Every Down Linebacker Thread 2009 (1 Viewer)

The Lions' situation is one to watch. In the first 2 games when all 3 starting LBs played, Sims and Foote played in the nickel packages and Peterson sat. Sims missed the last two games and Peterson played in the nickel, and he was a big factor in some effective blitzes. I personally don't think they can keep him on the sidelines, especially because the front 4 has not generated any pass rush.

For now we probably have to assume its Foote and Sims because they played in the nickel when all 3 starters played, but my gut feeling says Peterson has forced them to make a decision.

Is Alex Hall going to remain starter a ROLB this year, what are you feelings Jene?
I don't think there's any strong competition for the job and he's a solid enough all-around talent. Unless there's an unexpected signing after final cuts, I think Hall has an every-down role this year.

Will this thread be the one where you will put an * next to the guys with the headsets in there helmets?
It was last season, but I'm not sure it's helpful. I think it was interesting as a new thing last year and helped us to identify a guy like Stewart Bradley as an every-down player early last spring, but I don't think it provided much information otherwise.

Jene

What have you heard in regards to Tavares Gooden.

I'm hearing that with the 4-3 Gooden might not even be on the field.

Please let me know what you've heard.

Thanks!

JeneWhat have you heard in regards to Tavares Gooden.I'm hearing that with the 4-3 Gooden might not even be on the field.Please let me know what you've heard.Thanks!
Gooden is being pushed by Jameel McClain and Dannell Ellerbee for playing time, but I think he'll see the bulk of the snaps at WILB and WLB. Hopefully this week's game will stay close and we'll get a strong indication of how much base 4-3 is coming and who's in line for the most playing time.

Jene you have Elvis Dumervil as a 3 down back but his is not listed as a starter on the depth chart on FBG? Also there are 3 OLB that you have listed as 3 down backs (J. Taylor, T. Hali, E dumervil) that CBS still shows as DE, will these three put up more tackles than the top DEs like Cole Allen and Williams?

Post Week 2 updates. Changes in Houston and Kansas City. Tennessee and Detroit are still in the unclear category right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene, what happened with Tulloch in TENN? I thought I read here someplace he played over 90% of the snaps.

Did something recently happen since they got beat by Houston?

Jene, what happened with Tulloch in TENN? I thought I read here someplace he played over 90% of the snaps.Did something recently happen since they got beat by Houston?
Not comfortable saying that either Tulloch or Thornton is an every-down player right now.Tulloch didn't play in the nickel packages for the first series and a half, then played over Thornton the rest of the game. Without a clear indication from the coaching staff, it's hard to know whether this is all injury-related or the equivalent of the Greenway/Leber situations we've seen in the past.Both players got significant snaps last week because the Texans didn't have enough WRs to force the Titans into a nickel package. Houston played a third WR only 27% of the time (20 of 73 snaps) despite being behind often. Since Thornton got five of those snaps during the first quarter, both players ended up with 80+% of the snaps.Fisher doesn't have a full press conference until Wednesday and generally doesn't provide much information anyway. Hopefully, we'll get a clearer indication this afternoon. I'd work under the assumption that the Titans want Thornton in the nickel, but it's up to Thornton whether or not he feels mobile enough to handle the job and anything can happen while his knee is bothering him.

any updates Jene? whats the deal in Kansas City, is Derrick Johnson going to be back in the lineup? who is the right LB to own, Demorrio Williams or Corey Mays?? Basically who are the 3-down LBers on this team. And also this Hawthorne guy on Seattle, what is going on with Lofa, and if Lofa does come back, what does it mean for Hawthorne? Any injury updates on Gary Brackett or Bryan Scott? Thanks in advance.

any updates Jene? whats the deal in Kansas City, is Derrick Johnson going to be back in the lineup? who is the right LB to own, Demorrio Williams or Corey Mays?? Basically who are the 3-down LBers on this team. And also this Hawthorne guy on Seattle, what is going on with Lofa, and if Lofa does come back, what does it mean for Hawthorne? Any injury updates on Gary Brackett or Bryan Scott? Thanks in advance.
Bills SS Bryan Scott had an MRI on his ankle and is questionable for Sunday's game against the Dolphins.It would be a surprise if either Scott or Donte Whitner (thumb) play on Sunday. George Wilson is expected to fill in for Scott while Jairus Byrd will step in for Whitner.

I'll be updating this thread on Wednesday afternoons during the week.The Chiefs threw another curve ball this week, cutting Monty Beisel, who had been replacing Mays in the nickel. Williams played every down last week, but Johnson was inactive with a groin injury. I think Johnson is on the verge of returning to the lineup, but the injury could set that timetable back some weeks. For now, I think I'd work under the assumption that Mays is an every-down backer (but not a good one) and Williams will eventually be replaced by Johnson, including in the nickel if Johnson isn't fully healthy. I don't think I'd start Mays unless I was in a big bind and he had a good matchup and I'd avoid Williams unless Johnson was inactive.When Tatupu comes back, Hawthorne goes to the bench.Information about the Colts can be hit or miss. Some weeks we'll get a lot of in-depth info from the beat writers, other weeks nothing. There's nothing of note on Brackett yet, though we may hear something after practice today.Scott isn't likely to play this week based on early reports.

Notes from Week 3:

**I changed the original post, but didn't note it in a post, that Tavares Gooden has been leaving the field for Brendon Ayanbedejo in most of the Baltimore nickel packages.

**DeAndre Levy and Jordon Dizon shared nickel snaps against the Redskins.

**David Hawthorne played in the nickel with Aaron Curry last week. Freddie Keiaho stood in for Gary Brackett.

**David Thornton was back in the nickel in Tennessee.

**Anybody's guess in KC. Monty Beisel went from replacing Corey Mays in the nickel to the waiver wire this week. Derrick Johnson's groin injury may be keeping him from a larger role even in Haley finally is ready to put him in one. I expect the nickel backers to be Mays/Johnson assuming everyone is healthy since that's what happened pre-Beisel, but all bets are off here.

Notes from Week 3:**I changed the original post, but didn't note it in a post, that Tavares Gooden has been leaving the field for Brendon Ayanbedejo in most of the Baltimore nickel packages.**DeAndre Levy and Jordon Dizon shared nickel snaps against the Redskins.**David Hawthorne played in the nickel with Aaron Curry last week. Freddie Keiaho stood in for Gary Brackett.**David Thornton was back in the nickel in Tennessee.**Anybody's guess in KC. Monty Beisel went from replacing Corey Mays in the nickel to the waiver wire this week. Derrick Johnson's groin injury may be keeping him from a larger role even in Haley finally is ready to put him in one. I expect the nickel backers to be Mays/Johnson assuming everyone is healthy since that's what happened pre-Beisel, but all bets are off here.
Thanks for the updates, but if Johnson stays inactive this week, does that mean Williams will be starting, and does that mean Mays/Williams with be the 3-down backers? I think KC LBs have a decent matchup against the Giants this week, who do you I suggest pick up considering Johnson is inactive that is.

Notes from Week 3:**I changed the original post, but didn't note it in a post, that Tavares Gooden has been leaving the field for Brendon Ayanbedejo in most of the Baltimore nickel packages.**DeAndre Levy and Jordon Dizon shared nickel snaps against the Redskins.**David Hawthorne played in the nickel with Aaron Curry last week. Freddie Keiaho stood in for Gary Brackett.**David Thornton was back in the nickel in Tennessee.**Anybody's guess in KC. Monty Beisel went from replacing Corey Mays in the nickel to the waiver wire this week. Derrick Johnson's groin injury may be keeping him from a larger role even in Haley finally is ready to put him in one. I expect the nickel backers to be Mays/Johnson assuming everyone is healthy since that's what happened pre-Beisel, but all bets are off here.
Thanks for the updates, but if Johnson stays inactive this week, does that mean Williams will be starting, and does that mean Mays/Williams with be the 3-down backers? I think KC LBs have a decent matchup against the Giants this week, who do you I suggest pick up considering Johnson is inactive that is.
KC signed David Herron today, who's no threat to Mays in the nickel.Today, I'd rank Williams as the best option, though that could change after today's practice and press conference if there's news on Johnson. This would be about the only matchup I'd consider Mays as a usable lineup option, BTW, but I'd still rather have Williams today.

Jene Bramel said:
JoeBoxers43 said:
Jene Bramel said:
KC signed David Herron today, who's no threat to Mays in the nickel.Today, I'd rank Williams as the best option, though that could change after today's practice and press conference if there's news on Johnson. This would be about the only matchup I'd consider Mays as a usable lineup option, BTW, but I'd still rather have Williams today.
Javon Belcher is in the mix on the inside in KC. Haley says Belcher has earned playing time and he played quite a bit in the second half against Philly. I don't know who he replaced as I was listening on the radio and didn't see the game. My guess is that Mays could be the odd man out if Belcher performs, but just an educated guess based on comments I heard from the KC Star beat writer. Belcher is a special teams monster and made a lot of plays as a LB in the preseason.

Sorry for all the questions Jene, keep me posted on the KC situation please, because I have Beason Dansby Jordan on a bye with Brackett injured, and I see Demorrio being a solid 1 week starter.

Also, whats with Kevin Burnett. I dropped him last week thinking he was sharing time with Dobbins, next thing he puts up a crazy stat line. Did anything change? How many snaps did he play? Will he keep this up?

Sorry for all the questions Jene, keep me posted on the KC situation please, because I have Beason Dansby Jordan on a bye with Brackett injured, and I see Demorrio being a solid 1 week starter.Also, whats with Kevin Burnett. I dropped him last week thinking he was sharing time with Dobbins, next thing he puts up a crazy stat line. Did anything change? How many snaps did he play? Will he keep this up?
The rotation with Dobbins never really happened. Burnett rotated out on a series in the base defense here or there, but still had over 80% of the snaps in Week 2. Haven't seen the official snap count from W3 yet, but I'd bet he saw at least that many snaps against Miami. I'd expect him to lose probably 8-12 snaps a week to Dobbins for now. Hard to know if there was some nagging injury holding him back during the first two weeks -- he was on the injury report briefly, but the rumors were that Dobbins was in the mix again due to shaky play (which we noted as well). The next two weeks should tell the tale with him.

Smoke4Brains said:
Jene Bramel said:
JoeBoxers43 said:
Jene Bramel said:
Javon Belcher is in the mix on the inside in KC. Haley says Belcher has earned playing time and he played quite a bit in the second half against Philly. I don't know who he replaced as I was listening on the radio and didn't see the game. My guess is that Mays could be the odd man out if Belcher performs, but just an educated guess based on comments I heard from the KC Star beat writer. Belcher is a special teams monster and made a lot of plays as a LB in the preseason.
Thanks very much for contributing this. I hadn't seen the game yet and he wasn't on the radar after the Beisel/Mays stopgap solutions. His profile (DE turned OLB with better than clocked playing speed and a good pass rush for his size) doesn't sound like a prototypical ILB. They used him in place of Mays at SILB on base downs, but brought Beisel in as a nickel backer after Beisel sat in the nickel for Mays in the first half. Haley certainly had a lot of great things to say about Belcher in the press conference this week. We may be on the way to a Belcher/Johnson lineup soon. The IDP Forum collective strikes again. For now, the best guess is...Mays and Belcher rotate at SILB on base downs, Mays possibly as the primary nickel backer at that position, while Williams and Johnson platoon base/nickel at the WILB spot.

Jene, curious on your take between Kirk Morrisson and Thomas Howard. Was on profootballfocus trying to determine the snap count, seems that Week 2 Howard saw 8 more snaps on defense than Morrisson did. The stats aren't available yet for the Week 3 game, although both posted similiar numbers. Appreciate your thoughts on who you think is more valuable when you have some time.

OK Jene I need you to hit me with some updates, here we go.

Is Derrick Johnson practicing? I understand that he and Demorrio Williams will be splitting time in the base and nickel if Johnson is healthy, but will he play, and if he doesn't, does that mean Demorrio becomes a 3-down LB this week?

What is the word on Lofa Tatupu? If he isn't practiving and is out then Hawthorne becomes a top pickup and I could really use that.

This safety on the Browns, Abram Elam, he looks like a good source of tackles on a bad Browns D that always seems on the ball. What do you think of him? He has 26 total tackles to date, is he something worth picking up?

Hunter Hillenmeyer, how bad is his injury? Will it keep him out this week? And if it does, who moves to the middle and who plays in the nickel?

Anything new on Kevin Burnett will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Jene, curious on your take between Kirk Morrisson and Thomas Howard. Was on profootballfocus trying to determine the snap count, seems that Week 2 Howard saw 8 more snaps on defense than Morrisson did. The stats aren't available yet for the Week 3 game, although both posted similiar numbers. Appreciate your thoughts on who you think is more valuable when you have some time.
I wouldn't worry too much over those few snaps Morrison missed in Week 2. I don't think it's an indication that he'll be sitting in the nickel in future weeks or that there's a burgeoning rotation in the works. I think it was more likely related to the huge number of snaps the Chiefs had on offensive that week.Morrison will continue to have the better tackle expectation in most weeks.

OK Jene I need you to hit me with some updates, here we go.Is Derrick Johnson practicing? I understand that he and Demorrio Williams will be splitting time in the base and nickel if Johnson is healthy, but will he play, and if he doesn't, does that mean Demorrio becomes a 3-down LB this week?What is the word on Lofa Tatupu? If he isn't practiving and is out then Hawthorne becomes a top pickup and I could really use that.This safety on the Browns, Abram Elam, he looks like a good source of tackles on a bad Browns D that always seems on the ball. What do you think of him? He has 26 total tackles to date, is he something worth picking up?Hunter Hillenmeyer, how bad is his injury? Will it keep him out this week? And if it does, who moves to the middle and who plays in the nickel?Anything new on Kevin Burnett will be much appreciated.Thank you.
Try the search function. There are threads on everyone of your questions right below this thread

Is Derrick Johnson practicing? I understand that he and Demorrio Williams will be splitting time in the base and nickel if Johnson is healthy, but will he play, and if he doesn't, does that mean Demorrio becomes a 3-down LB this week?

Johnson practiced fully yesterday. Assuming no midweek setbacks, he'll play. Unless we hear differently from Todd Haley, we'll have to assume the W2 nickel platoon is in effect this week.

What is the word on Lofa Tatupu? If he isn't practiving and is out then Hawthorne becomes a top pickup and I could really use that.

Tatupu practiced yesterday and is expected to play. Hawthorne could rotate in now and then and Tatupu pulled himself early in W2 when he thought he could play, then couldn't, but expect Tatupu to get the bulk of the snaps for now.

This safety on the Browns, Abram Elam, he looks like a good source of tackles on a bad Browns D that always seems on the ball. What do you think of him? He has 26 total tackles to date, is he something worth picking up?

Hard not to like Elam right now given how much opportunity the Browns will get and how poorly Eric Barton has tackled. Elam was a bit of a flop in a similar situation and scheme last year and has still looked out of position at times, but he's got DB2 expectation right now.

Hunter Hillenmeyer, how bad is his injury? Will it keep him out this week? And if it does, who moves to the middle and who plays in the nickel?

Didn't practice yesterday and seems unlikely to play. Looks like Nick Roach will play MLB in his absence and is slightly more likely to see nickel snaps over Jamar Williams on the strong side.

Anything new on Kevin Burnett will be much appreciated.

Haven't seen anything new of note on Burnett. Has to be considered a LB4/5 with upside until he proves W1 and W2 were the exceptions.

I've read and heard on Bears message board and on The Score, that Hunter has very slim chance at playing this week. Roach, I think was in Nickel packages last week. If you look at FBG projections this week, Hunter and Roach = 5 tackles. Does that mean if one plays the projection = 10 tackles. How is Detroit as a matchup for MLB?

just read that derrick johnson was a full participant for practices on wednesday and thursday and expects to play...what does this mean in regards to playing time?

Dr. Bramel!

Any sense of where some key injured every down LBs are in their recovery?

Mayo was back at practice today (Friday, Oct 2) even though he was supposed to be out 6-8 weeks.

Lofa looks like he's going to play, but hamstrings linger.

Poz hasn't practiced at all.

What say you?

Dr. Bramel!Any sense of where some key injured every down LBs are in their recovery? Mayo was back at practice today (Friday, Oct 2) even though he was supposed to be out 6-8 weeks. Lofa looks like he's going to play, but hamstrings linger. Poz hasn't practiced at all. What say you?
That about covers it. I'm not aware of any additional angles on these three.Mayo's injury is a minimum four week injury. I wouldn't expect him back to full speed for another week or two after he returns. I wouldn't trust Tatupu until he plays a full, productive game. Posluszny won't be back for at least 4-6 weeks with his injury either.

Lots of updates and question marks this week.

**Not yet clear how the Ravens will line up with Ayanbedejo on IR. Gooden looks healthy, but Ellerbe could take some base snaps from him.

**Clint Session didn't play in the nickel last week, but the Colts cut the guy who replaced him (Jordan Senn). Brackett is back this week and Keiaho played well. I think Session stays in the base, but the nickel is still unclear.

**Junior Seau isn't signed yet, so Guyton remains an every-down backer for another week. Eventually, I think it's Mayo every-down and Seau/Guyton platooning once again.

**Kirk Morrison sat in the nickel last week for Ricky Brown.

**I'm assuming Hunter Hillenmeyer and Pisa Tinoisamoa will be back for W6, with Hillenmeyer in the nickel.

**Jordon Dizon was dinged last week and DeAndre Levy was already in the majority of the nickel. Levy is an every-down player if Sims sits.

**Too much potential rotation at both OLB spots to call a second every-down player for the Giants.

**Omar Gaither is in danger of losing base defensive snaps to Jeremiah Trotter as early as this week.

**Not yet clear how the Ravens will line up with Ayanbedejo on IR. Gooden looks healthy, but Ellerbe could take some base snaps from him.

**Clint Session didn't play in the nickel last week, but the Colts cut the guy who replaced him (Jordan Senn). Brackett is back this week and Keiaho played well. I think Session stays in the base, but the nickel is still unclear.

**Junior Seau isn't signed yet, so Guyton remains an every-down backer for another week. Eventually, I think it's Mayo every-down and Seau/Guyton platooning once again.

**I'm assuming Hunter Hillenmeyer and Pisa Tinoisamoa will be back for W6, with Hillenmeyer in the nickel.

**Jordon Dizon was dinged last week and DeAndre Levy was already in the majority of the nickel. Levy is an every-down player if Sims sits.

**Too much potential rotation at both OLB spots to call a second every-down player for the Giants.

**Omar Gaither is in danger of losing base defensive snaps to Jeremiah Trotter as early as this week.
I'm not sure if this is the place to put this update regarding Levy, but I guess it will do. Gunther Cunningham says Levy to start at LB this week and play every down

Is McIntosh still playing all 3 downs and if so shouldn't he be a good pickup considering the skins' D is on the field so much?

Thinking of dropping Session.

'

:confused: You sure?

Is McIntosh still playing all 3 downs and if so shouldn't he be a good pickup considering the skins' D is on the field so much?
McIntosh is playing every down. He's still in the large pack of OLBs with LB3 upside at best.
Is Session not playing every down based in his ankle or his play
Session wasn't on the injury report last week, so the assumption has to be that the Colts thought Senn was better in the nickel than Session. Why they then cut Senn is a mystery.
:thumbdown: You sure?
Positive.

:shrug: You sure?
Positive.
I've still not seen this confirmed anywhere else and based on today's stats I'm inclined to believe that it's not true. Got a link?
:hophead: Lots of things we'll have here in the Forum and our subscriber content that won't be reported anywhere else.I watched Kirk Morrison leave the field three times in the first two series when I watched the game and profootballfocus tracked his snap count at 70%, with Ricky Brown at 100%. I'll be happy to put up screenshots of those snaps when NFLRewind comes back up after the game tonight.

I doubt the Giants put the Raiders in a nickel package at all today, but I'll followup on Morrison's snap count early this week.

:football: You sure?
Positive.
I've still not seen this confirmed anywhere else and based on today's stats I'm inclined to believe that it's not true. Got a link?
:shrug: Lots of things we'll have here in the Forum and our subscriber content that won't be reported anywhere else.I watched Kirk Morrison leave the field three times in the first two series when I watched the game and profootballfocus tracked his snap count at 70%, with Ricky Brown at 100%. I'll be happy to put up screenshots of those snaps when NFLRewind comes back up after the game tonight.

I doubt the Giants put the Raiders in a nickel package at all today, but I'll followup on Morrison's snap count early this week.
Never claimed you were wrong, just hadn't seen this anywhere else and no link was posted. Thank you! :yucky:

I watched Kirk Morrison leave the field three times in the first two series when I watched the game and profootballfocus tracked his snap count at 70%, with Ricky Brown at 100%. I'll be happy to put up screenshots of those snaps when NFLRewind comes back up after the game tonight.

Never claimed you were wrong, just hadn't seen this anywhere else and no link was posted. Thank you! :rant:
:rant: I certainly don't mean to suggest that my posts were beyond question. This Morrison-Brown issue is squirrelly at best. I'm betting we'll be able to count the Raider nickel snaps on one hand this week. Against the Eagles next week, though, this is going to be an important distinction for Morrison.

I watched Kirk Morrison leave the field three times in the first two series when I watched the game and profootballfocus tracked his snap count at 70%, with Ricky Brown at 100%. I'll be happy to put up screenshots of those snaps when NFLRewind comes back up after the game tonight.

Never claimed you were wrong, just hadn't seen this anywhere else and no link was posted. Thank you! :ph34r:
:lmao: I certainly don't mean to suggest that my posts were beyond question. This Morrison-Brown issue is squirrelly at best. I'm betting we'll be able to count the Raider nickel snaps on one hand this week. Against the Eagles next week, though, this is going to be an important distinction for Morrison.
Ricky Brown left w/ an injury today, replaced by Alston. Looked like Morrison didn't leave the field after that, so this week's game won't tell the whole story. Last week definitely looked like it was Brown on 3rd downs.

I'll be happy to put up screenshots of those snaps when NFLRewind comes back up after the game tonight.I doubt the Giants put the Raiders in a nickel package at all today, but I'll followup on Morrison's snap count early this week.
Screenshots below.First four shots are from the Houston game from plays during the first and second quarters. The last screenshot is the first nickel snap from the game against the Giants yesterday. All show Ricky Brown in the nickel with Thomas Howard.We'll see what happens with Brown's injury this week, but this will be a much bigger deal against the Eagles than it was against the Giants. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Ricky Brown (who's still a SLB surrounded by tacklers in the base defense) is a burgeoning stud, just that it significantly affects Morrison's potential in most weeks.Nickel1.jpg

Nickel2.jpg

Nickel3.jpg

Nickel4.jpg

Nickel5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread