What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Every Down Linebacker Thread 2009 (1 Viewer)

I'll be happy to put up screenshots of those snaps when NFLRewind comes back up after the game tonight.I doubt the Giants put the Raiders in a nickel package at all today, but I'll followup on Morrison's snap count early this week.
Screenshots below.First four shots are from the Houston game from plays during the first and second quarters. The last screenshot is the first nickel snap from the game against the Giants yesterday. All show Ricky Brown in the nickel with Thomas Howard.We'll see what happens with Brown's injury this week, but this will be a much bigger deal against the Eagles than it was against the Giants. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Ricky Brown (who's still a SLB surrounded by tacklers in the base defense) is a burgeoning stud, just that it significantly affects Morrison's potential in most weeks.
:thumbup: Great effort, JB.

I just posted in the DeAndre Levy thread that Schwartz has said Levy will return to his backup role and Peterson and Sims will be the starting outside backers.

Who knows how long that will last? Probably until the bye week and then after that...????

I'll be happy to put up screenshots of those snaps when NFLRewind comes back up after the game tonight.I doubt the Giants put the Raiders in a nickel package at all today, but I'll followup on Morrison's snap count early this week.
Screenshots below.First four shots are from the Houston game from plays during the first and second quarters. The last screenshot is the first nickel snap from the game against the Giants yesterday. All show Ricky Brown in the nickel with Thomas Howard.We'll see what happens with Brown's injury this week, but this will be a much bigger deal against the Eagles than it was against the Giants. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Ricky Brown (who's still a SLB surrounded by tacklers in the base defense) is a burgeoning stud, just that it significantly affects Morrison's potential in most weeks.
:lmao: Great effort, JB.
The injuries seem to be mounting for the Oakland LB's. Brown is out for 3-4 weeks....possibly season ending. His likely replacement Jon Alston suffered a concussion on Sunday so he might not be ready to go. Kirk Morrison has a knee strain and his status is uncertain for week 6. Who do we look to for a sneaky play in a deep league.....Sam Williams? If Morrison doesn't play, who moves into MLB? I'm thinking this probably just mean better numbers for Thomas Howard and Tyvon Branch?

Adjustments after W5:

**Ravens rotating three players alongside Ray Lewis. No second nickel backer there.

**For now, though Chris Draft and possibly Matt Wilhelm will be in the mix, it's likely Jon Corto with Keith Ellison in the nickel.

**Clint Session was back in the nickel for Indianapolis.

**Expecting Jerod Mayo to play every down and Junior Seau to begin stealing snaps from Gary Guyton.

**Kirk Morrison (if healthy) will be back in the nickel with Ricky Brown out.

**Kevin Burnett is barely holding his spot on the list. Dobbins isn't platooning, but he's stealing enough snaps to be relevant.

**Nick Roach may take over in the middle for Hillenmeyer. Roach was in the nickel last week.

**Reports have DeAndre Levy back to the bench. Jordon Dizon continues to steal time in the nickel and could hurt both Sims and Foote.

**Nick Barnett is offically back in an every-down role.

**Jeremiah Trotter is stealing base defensive snaps from Omar Gaither.

Adjustments after W5:**Ravens rotating three players alongside Ray Lewis. No second nickel backer there.**For now, though Chris Draft and possibly Matt Wilhelm will be in the mix, it's likely Jon Corto with Keith Ellison in the nickel.**Clint Session was back in the nickel for Indianapolis.**Expecting Jerod Mayo to play every down and Junior Seau to begin stealing snaps from Gary Guyton.**Kirk Morrison (if healthy) will be back in the nickel with Ricky Brown out.**Kevin Burnett is barely holding his spot on the list. Dobbins isn't platooning, but he's stealing enough snaps to be relevant.**Nick Roach may take over in the middle for Hillenmeyer. Roach was in the nickel last week.**Reports have DeAndre Levy back to the bench. Jordon Dizon continues to steal time in the nickel and could hurt both Sims and Foote.**Nick Barnett is offically back in an every-down role.**Jeremiah Trotter is stealing base defensive snaps from Omar Gaither.
Is there a link for Barnett news?

Adjustments after W5:

**Ravens rotating three players alongside Ray Lewis. No second nickel backer there.

**For now, though Chris Draft and possibly Matt Wilhelm will be in the mix, it's likely Jon Corto with Keith Ellison in the nickel.

**Clint Session was back in the nickel for Indianapolis.

**Expecting Jerod Mayo to play every down and Junior Seau to begin stealing snaps from Gary Guyton.

**Kirk Morrison (if healthy) will be back in the nickel with Ricky Brown out.

**Kevin Burnett is barely holding his spot on the list. Dobbins isn't platooning, but he's stealing enough snaps to be relevant.

**Nick Roach may take over in the middle for Hillenmeyer. Roach was in the nickel last week.

**Reports have DeAndre Levy back to the bench. Jordon Dizon continues to steal time in the nickel and could hurt both Sims and Foote.

**Nick Barnett is offically back in an every-down role.

**Jeremiah Trotter is stealing base defensive snaps from Omar Gaither.
Is there a link for Barnett news?
Profootballfocus.com and my own :shrug: .

Jene Bramel said:
BearsFan said:
What tier would you put Nick Barnett in now Jene?
LB2/3
I assume I know the answer to my question, but you know what they say about assuming. :nerd: When you say Barnett is in the LB2/3 tier does that mean you expect him to rank somewhere around the 20-30 range (based on a 12 team league) among all LBs in scoring at the end of the season?

Jene Bramel said:
BearsFan said:
What tier would you put Nick Barnett in now Jene?
LB2/3
I assume I know the answer to my question, but you know what they say about assuming. :nerd: When you say Barnett is in the LB2/3 tier does that mean you expect him to rank somewhere around the 20-30 range (based on a 12 team league) among all LBs in scoring at the end of the season?
Yes. Closer to the LB2 range probably, though.

This thread is linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays during the regular season.

Philadelphia: Akeem Jordan
I don't have the week 5 #s, but according to profootballfocus, during week 3 he only played 68% of the snaps.

This thread is linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays during the regular season.

I don't have the week 5 #s, but according to profootballfocus, during week 3 he only played 68% of the snaps.
Huh. Didn't notice that before and wasn't paying attention to that position when I watched the TB game this week. On second look, Jordan is absolutely coming out of the nickel packages, sometimes for an sixth defensive back, sometimes for Tracy White.There are apparently no every-down backers in Philadelphia right now.

Thanks very much for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Well that sux... He balled the first 2 weeks... Think he will get back to a 3 down guy anytime sooN? Or is he droppable now?

We have to play a OLB in our league. Bullock, Session, and McIntosh are better now in a dynasty huh???

Last edited by a moderator:

Huh. Didn't notice that before and wasn't paying attention to that position when I watched the TB game this week. On second look, Jordan is absolutely coming out of the nickel packages, sometimes for an sixth defensive back, sometimes for Tracy White.There are apparently no every-down backers in Philadelphia right now.

Thanks very much for bringing this to everyone's attention.
Yeah, I noticed his #s dipped and knew it had to be for a reason. He apparently got a fumble return for a TD called back last week after a challenge or I would have never thought to look at his snap %.

Jene, any idea why Will Witherspoon only played 69% of snaps last week?
Saw that this morning and it's just bizarre.Looks like the Rams were running all sorts of bizarre combinations out there when the Vikings were in spread sets with Chester Taylor at RB. That's strange enough, but they were playing dime with Peterson in there at times, too. Couldn't find anything about an injury and Witherspoon played more snaps in the second half than the first. I think it's just a weird gameplan thing so I sort of dismissed it for now, but it's on the list of things to followup on tomorrow.If anybody has a different take or homer view, it's appreciated as always.

W6 updates and speculation:

**The Browns were exclusively in a dime package after D'Qwell Jackson's injury last week, though I'd expect Kaluka Maiava to be the most likely second inside nickel backer.

**Keith Brooking replaced Bradie James in the nickel packages late in the second half in Week 5.

**Julian Peterson has become an every-down player as a LB/third down rusher. There's a four headed monster at the two nickel backer positions. Larry Foote comes off the field least often, with Jordon Dizon on the field the least.

**Clay Matthews is getting enough snaps to be an every-down consideration now.

**Chase Blackburn is close to an every-down guy, but the Giants have used too much dime to give him the nod.

**Will Witherspoon is an every-down player, Akeem Jordan still likely out of the nickel

**Paris Lenon likely joins James Laurinaitis in the nickel, though we may see dime in St. Louis when the DBs get healthy.

**Hard to project the Seattle nickel group, but Curry and Hawthorne are listed as wishful thinking/highest upside. :thumbup:

ETA: Should have added Tavares Gooden. Two weeks after the Ayanbedejo injury and neither McClain nor Ellerbee is pushing him off the field. He should be considered an every-down player, too.

I know we are talking about every down linebackers. But what about how we expect them to continue from here on out. Denver's defense has been much better than any of us expected. DJ Williams was ranked higher here than most places and he has done well. Dumervile has come out of nowhere to be putting up a huge amount of sacks. While I do not expect this type of production from him moving forward, do people think he is the real deal? Should he be counted on as top 10 production the rest of the way?

DJ Williams is a solid guy that I would expect to continue. Elvis won't continue, but at what level do you guys expect him to play? FBG top 200 has Elvis at 8 in my scoring and DJ at 12 with a guy like Laurenitis at 11 for perspective. I also noticed Curry way down the list at 34th?

Any insight would be appreciated?

I'm looking for a link that I thought I have seen.

Its to a website that lists total number of downs played for each defensive player.

Anyone have the link?

Updates after W7

**Kaluka Maiava came out in a number of subpackages last week and rotated with David Bowens at ILB in the second half.

**Tim Dobbins played almost every down after Brandon Siler replaced him in the nickel in the first series.

**Nick Roach stayed at MLB and played every down despite the return of Hunter Hillenmeyer.

**Will Witherspoon is the only every-down backer in Philadelphia right now.

**The Rams often used only one linebacker against Indy. Craig Dahl played a hybrid safety/backer role and CJ Ah You dropped into coverage from a two point stance.

**I'm trying to confirm the Seattle nickel backers but haven't been able to yet. For now, an argument could be made for any and all of their starters.

Linebacker Lofa Tatupu is in Alabama being evaluated by Dr. James Andrews. Whether he will need surgery will be determined today.

"They are determining the correct course of action in consultation with our doctors so by the end of today [Wednesday] we should be able to tell you something definitive in terms of what the future holds for Lofa with regards to this year," Mora said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/

What's the latest on Jerod Mayo? How does he rank compared to some of the other LBs available on my wire presently.

I've got Willis, Lofton and Harris manning my 2 starting LB slots. Harris has disappointed lately so I was looking to perhaps add a new backup LB.

These guys are available:

Mayo (like him going forward)

DeMeco

Durant

Witherspoon

Dansby

Cushing

Mike Peterson

Posluzny

Laurinaitis

This is our scoring:

--Solo Tackles 1 point

--Sacks 3 points

--Pass Defensed 1 point

--Interceptions 2 points

--Forced Fumbles 3 points

--Safeties 4 points

Who's production will be the best moving forward?

Is there anymore clarity to the KC LB situation. Is Demario a 3 down, or are they still playing musical LBs with DJ? Any homer insite?

W8 observations:

**Tavares Gooden took most of the snaps last week, but Dannell Ellerbee saw time late (may have had more to do with Gooden's health).

**David Bowens will probably be added to this list next week, but the Browns are likely to rotate four guys inside if Barton is out.

**Looks like Kevin Burnett is back this week, with Tim Dobbins out for a couple of weeks with injury. Siler may rotate with Burnett.

**Hunter Hillenmeyer replaced Nick Roach at MLB and in the nickel last week.

**Leroy Hill will apparently move back into the nickel at some point, but it's David Hawthorne and Aaron Curry in the SEA nickel package now.

Other situations appear to be status quo.

Will update the Cle and Sea situations with information as it's released.

Is there anymore clarity to the KC LB situation. Is Demario a 3 down, or are they still playing musical LBs with DJ? Any homer insite?
Are there anymore KC Chief Fans or are they all gone now? What this mean? Came off the bench but still has starte job?RotoWire) Although he came off the bench in Week 7, Williams remains one of the team's starting inside linebackers, the Kansas City Star reports. "He's played as good of football as anybody on this team," coach Todd Haley said. Analysis: Williams is not an overly productive fantasy option, even in deeper leagues, but at least he doesn't seem to be in any imminent danger of losing his starting spot.

Are there anymore KC Chief Fans or are they all gone now? What this mean? Came off the bench but still has starte job?RotoWire) Although he came off the bench in Week 7, Williams remains one of the team's starting inside linebackers, the Kansas City Star reports. "He's played as good of football as anybody on this team," coach Todd Haley said. Analysis: Williams is not an overly productive fantasy option, even in deeper leagues, but at least he doesn't seem to be in any imminent danger of losing his starting spot.
Be careful with the online blurb services. Here's the original source:

Derrick Johnson improves his standing

Inside linebacker Derrick Johnson, who has undergone an inconsistent season in which he has lost his starting job and has yet to earn it back, at least has won back some good favor with Haley.

But favor isn’t yet enough to unseat Demorrio Williams, who Haley said was a bright spot for the 1-6 Chiefs.

“Demorrio Williams is not a reason why we’re where we’re at,” Haley said. “He’s played as good of football as anybody on this team. I have no problem with how Derrick is preparing, practicing and playing. I have no problem at all with Derrick and what he’s doing. He’s continuing to get himself ready, so when an opportunity — a bigger opportunity presents itself, he’s ready for that.”
The ILB rotation in Kansas City hasn't changed over the past month. It remains Corey Mays rotating with Jovan Belcher (with Belcher getting most of the nickel snaps and some in the base defense) and Demorrio Williams and Derrick Johnson in a base-nickel platoon.Johnson was listed as the starter in W7, but the Chiefs opened in their nickel defense.

Is DJ and DM rotating? I haven't seen the tape but the boxscore suggest one having more playing time than the other.

W9 observations:

**Dannell Ellerbee has begun stealing snaps from Tavares Gooden over the past two weeks.

**Brandon Johnson will likely play every down if Keith Rivers can't go.

**Speculating that David Bowens is the closest to an every-down ILB for Cleveland.

**Landon Johnson assumes every-down duty with Thomas Davis out.

**Michael Boley re-assumes his projected every-down WLB role.

**Leroy Hill looks to have bumped Aaron Curry from the nickel in Seattle.

W9 observations:**Dannell Ellerbee has begun stealing snaps from Tavares Gooden over the past two weeks.**Brandon Johnson will likely play every down if Keith Rivers can't go.**Speculating that David Bowens is the closest to an every-down ILB for Cleveland.**Landon Johnson assumes every-down duty with Thomas Davis out.**Michael Boley re-assumes his projected every-down WLB role.**Leroy Hill looks to have bumped Aaron Curry from the nickel in Seattle.
Do you think Boley or Hill has the bigger upside?

W9 observations:**Dannell Ellerbee has begun stealing snaps from Tavares Gooden over the past two weeks.**Brandon Johnson will likely play every down if Keith Rivers can't go.**Speculating that David Bowens is the closest to an every-down ILB for Cleveland.**Landon Johnson assumes every-down duty with Thomas Davis out.**Michael Boley re-assumes his projected every-down WLB role.**Leroy Hill looks to have bumped Aaron Curry from the nickel in Seattle.
Do you think Boley or Hill has the bigger upside?
It'd be matchup dependent. Both project to LB3 value, I think, with some LB2+ upside in some weeks.

Who takes the place of Eric Barton, is he a possibility?
David Bowens, Kaluka Maiava, David Veikune and Blake Constanzo have all taken snaps at ILB over the past two games. I speculated earlier today that Bowens is probably the most likely every-down player in the bunch, but he'll be playing ILB and OLB. It'll be interesting to see if one of the others is able to separate himself -- none of them have yet.

"David did an excellent job stepping in there [in Chicago]," said defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. "He is definitely the guy that is going to get the call. There are some plays that we can take off of him so he won't have to play the entire game. We have some young guys ready to go with some certain packages."

I don't think Bowens is an every down guy. But he is labeled as a DL in my CBS league, so he has some value.

Darko M said:
"David did an excellent job stepping in there [in Chicago]," said defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. "He is definitely the guy that is going to get the call. There are some plays that we can take off of him so he won't have to play the entire game. We have some young guys ready to go with some certain packages."I don't think Bowens is an every down guy. But he is labeled as a DL in my CBS league, so he has some value.
I agree, but how much value does Bowens have.. even at DL? What tier would you put him in? Equal to emerging talents like Stlez White and Shaughnessy? :thumbup:

A couple of minor changes, but not too much of note in the original post.

Looked like David Bowens and Kaluka Maiava were the primary linebackers in Cleveland this week. Leroy Hill and Aaron Curry still rotating in nickel packages in Seattle.

From Rotoworld:

Rookie SLB Aaron Curry has been removed from the Seahawks' nickel package.

Now only a mere early-down linebacker, Curry is barely averaging five tackles a game. The No. 4 overall pick hasn't been nearly as effective as No. 16 overall pick Brian Cushing for the Texans. Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell should be kicking himself for drafting Curry over Eugene Monroe in April.

***Major news this week was that Aaron Curry has been taken out of the nickel packages. That's a situation we've been following (and hinting about) since Leroy Hill returned, so it shouldn't be a major surprise.

***Odds are that James Anderson replaces Landon Johnson as an every-down WLB, but there are injury issues (Na'il Diggs) which could prompt more shuffling and some potential for competition from Dan Connor or a dime group instead of a second nickel linebacker.

***Bryan Scott seems entrenched as an every-down WLB at this point.

***Keith Rivers could bump Brandon Johnson back off this list as soon as this week.

Nothing major from W13 after the Thomas Howard/Trevor Scott and Antonio Pierce situations last week. Cleaned up some of the 3-4 OLB rotations.

Will be watching the Chicago situation this week.

Users who are viewing this thread