What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Explain to the class why you watch First Take, Get Up, etc. (1 Viewer)

They’re unwatchable. Most national radio guys are not worth a listen either.

Elite Sports, on from 12-3 on weekdays on Fantasy Sports Radio on SiriusXM, has become un-listenable. The main guy's kind of a screamer and they have a long segment where they don't even talk about fantasy sports. I mean, what's the point?

Most other shows on that channel are pretty good.

Elite Sports, on from 12-3 on weekdays on Fantasy Sports Radio on SiriusXM, has become un-listenable. The main guy's kind of a screamer and they have a long segment where they don't even talk about fantasy sports. I mean, what's the point?

I have Sirius but am not in the car that much. And am too cheap to pay for the mobile version

ESPN should just go back and watch their programming from the 90s-2000s and just re-create it w/o the social commentary and they would be back on top.
I agree that their old programming was much more enjoyable, but I don't think it would be very successful today. When a cool play happens, it's on 15 different websites within 30 seconds. On social media there are tons of great analysts who will share their thoughts and break down plays in real time. ESPN's monopoly on sports video content is gone and they're competing with millions of other content creators for our attention now. We get all these terrible shock jock-style sports talk shows as a result - they can at least drum up controversy and produce viral moments in a way that SportsCenter can't. It sucks but I think it's a reasonable response to market forces. TV is just doomed.

Last edited:
ESPN should just go back and watch their programming from the 90s-2000s and just re-create it w/o the social commentary and they would be back on top.
I agree that their old programming was much more enjoyable, but I actually don't think it would be very successful today. When a cool play happens, it's on 15 different websites within 30 seconds. On social media there are tons of great analysts who will share their thoughts and break down plays in real time. ESPN's monopoly on sports video content is gone and they're competing with millions of other content creators for our attention now. We get all these terrible shock jock-style sports talk shows as a result - they can at least drum up controversy and produce viral moments in a way that SportsCenter can't. It sucks but I think it's a reasonable response to market forces. TV is just doomed.

Probably true. Im viewing from my minds eye, not younger folks.

As far as the shock jock stuff - I blame it on my favorite show, PTI. Its the highest rated show on ESPN and has been for 2+decades. The difference between those two arguing is that its natural because they were already best friends for years and were essentially having those same conversations on the floor of the Washington Post.

Additionally, PTI is imo, the most influential sports program since ESPN's inception. The countdown, the crawl - all the brainchild of Erik Rydholm have been copied not only on sports programing, but all shows across the spectrum.

I haven't listened or watched any sports talk show since Mike and the Mad Dog were together. And that was only because the truck I had for work only had an AM radio.

Nothing wrong with a good screamer. :oldunsure:

First Things First on FS1 is the only one I watch, and when I say watch, I mean check out a few clips because I cannot watch it since it is during work hours. The chemistry between Nick Wright, Chris Broussard and Kevin Wildes makes it a fun show. And Wildes is a legitimately hilarious guy.

I bailed on ESPN many years ago.

fs1 is so much better than aything espn

locals come on on the Wisconsin station I use to tune in
which station?
The Score, Appleton and Oshkosh. I always giggle when the Ace Hardware commercial comes on and the guy says Menasha in the most midwestern of way. ;)
i'll still listen to that channel now and again. it's one that i can get in the car and the hosts of their various shows aren't actually obnoxious.

I have Sirius but am not in the car that much. And am too cheap to pay for the mobile version
I got a deal on the mobile version so I just play mine in my car through Apple Play. Works out awesome. I do enough driving locally where it's worth it... plus when I'm traveling for work it's an absolute MUST. I hated trying to find the local sports talk radio station wherever I was at. I've been switching to regular ol NFL Radio from 12-3 local time as that Elite Sports show has become grating.

I throw Pat McAfee on. He's hilarious.
i caught mcafee once or twice, but each time he was wearing a black tank top, so i figured the channel was just running a replay of his show. i think he just wears a black tank top every day, all day.
It's like the TNF crew. Those guys wear the same outfits (or at least in different colors) every week. Tony G with the sports coat and turtleneck, Fitzy with some loud, multi-colored shirt and 80's style jacket, Whitworth with the hoodie/jacket combo, and I forget what Richard Sherman goes with, he might be the only one that changes it up.

It's uncanny.

Good Morning Football is taking a hiatus on March 29 and may resume late summer after moving production to Los Angeles.

Good Morning Football is taking a hiatus on March 29 and may resume late summer after moving production to Los Angeles.
I wonder how many of the hosts are going to go to LA. All of them live around NYC and have young families.

Wow that's kind of a surprise. I wonder if they're overhauling the talent? I know Kyle Brandt and Peter Schrager are East Coasters born and bred.

Edit - oops, looks like a couple folks already said this. :lol:

Just download the app for free and stream through your phone. That's what I do.

Only one of these I watch at all is The Herd. Colin Cowherd sometimes brings an appreciated intellectual angle uncommon in this realm

Only one of these I watch at all is The Herd. Colin Cowherd sometimes brings an appreciated intellectual angle uncommon in this realm
holy ****, he might be the worst of all of them
Why do you prefer SAS, Greenberg, and the rest to him?
that's a good question. i think the Cowherd smugness and fake arguments which he definitely does not believe are more transparent.

SAS knows he's a cliche but i think he actually believes at least some of what he says. maybe not much but at least a small percentage of his shtick is real.

you might be right about Greenberg. he's freaking awful. all of them are an instant mute or channel change for me, though.

Cowherd is the classic “throw poo at the wall to see what sticks” kinda guy. If he’s somehow right, his smug *** will certainly tell you. If he’s wrong he just won’t talk about it again and it magically goes away.
And then three months later he'll bring it up and pretend that he had the opposite take on it this whole time, so he was right all along. It seems his only goal in life is to go out of his way to make sure everyone knows he's the smartest guy in the room.

Cowherd is the classic “throw poo at the wall to see what sticks” kinda guy. If he’s somehow right, his smug *** will certainly tell you. If he’s wrong he just won’t talk about it again and it magically goes away.
He exudes "I'm the smartest person in the room" vibes with his every breath. I can't bear to watch one second of him.

I can't really stand any of those types of shows anymore. Often I only have the TV on for the actual games.

its like this...go to walmart or the DMV to be reminded of just how dumb the idiot masses are...or just look at the ratings for these shock jock sports shows...it's absurd they have an audience but here we are.

My Mom once went on a date with a guy who was a marketing executive. Paraphrasing of course, she asked him why commercials are so stupid, and he answered, because the average person is stupid, and that's who we are trying to appeal to. Shows like First Take and Get Up remind me of that.

I watch PTI sometimes. I like Inside the NBA. I like the Manning Cast, which IMO is the smartest ESPN concept in the past 20+ years. I listen to a couple Chargers podcasts that aren't total clown shows, and I listen to some PFF and Bill Simmons podcasts. IMO this kind of content is generally better for "smart sports fans" than stuff like FT and GU, and I imagine myself to be a "smart sports fan." I wish there was more such content.

And then three months later he'll bring it up and pretend that he had the opposite take on it this whole time, so he was right all along. It seems his only goal in life is to go out of his way to make sure everyone knows he's the smartest guy in the room.
I guess I don't watch/listen to him enough to notice that

I have always liked cowherd. But i can totally see some not liking him. Most of the points posted are valid but not the one about not taking ownership of his mistakes. Yeah he's wrong sometimes but I find myself agreeing with him more times than not. He does have a segment every show where he says what he got wrong and what he got right. What more are you looking for from him lol

I have always liked cowherd. But i can totally see some not liking him. Most of the points posted are valid but not the one about not taking ownership of his mistakes. Yeah he's wrong sometimes but I find myself agreeing with him more times than not. He does have a segment every show where he says what he got wrong and what he got right. What more are you looking for from him lol
to stop being a public presence

What is the draw for you?

Do you find the discussion interesting? Do you like the personalities more than the topics?
Almost nothing draws me to these shows, I will stream a PatMcAfee clip on Youtube but I can't watch ESPN live outside of actual live sports and even that feels like work at times.

I just watch the first take clips on espn.com. I find mad dog russo to be pretty fun. The other folks like to poke fun at him as well and his sometimes antiquated positions and he's a good sport about it. Always say I'll put it on and just passively listen, but never do.
Mad Dog is fun when football season is rolling along, catch his crazy rants on YT

Users who are viewing this thread