What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Farve Reinstated; expected to report Monday (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Favre was afraid to compete. I think he's afraid that the organization had already made up their minds...and he may be right! I also believe that he refused to buy into the team concept enough to allow that to happen. IE: He would NEVER ride the pine quietly.
Perhaps this is a difference between my viewpoint and the viewpoints of those bashing Favre.I don't think any competitor should ever ride the pine quietly if it is clear he is better than the starter. In Favre's mind, he would never be the second best QB on the team unless he was clearly beaten out. Can't blame him for that, given his history and the nature of a competitor. But the implication here that the organization made up their mind to go with Rodgers without a competition implies Favre wasn't beaten out. Thus I don't see why anyone would expect him to "ride the pine quietly."

Oh for sure, I think we're talking about a 2 year situation here max.

And it's not an issue of 1996. It's an issue of 2008 Favre vs 2008 Rodgers. For that I say suck it up.

J
Joe, theres an awful lot of guys whose opinions we both respect who've gone on record as saying they didn't see BF as any more then an average QB (Maurile is one).Now, we might be wrong, but this opinion wasn't based on TT's choices, but our own observations of what BF has done over the past few years.

Contrary to popular opinion, it is NOT always in the best interests of any franchise to go with the best guy "this year". At some point, ou have to let go the old and welcome the new...at some point.

We can agree to disagree on the right answer, but TT is NOT alone in his thinking...there are MANY of us who agree that it's time to move on with Rodgers.

From what I can tell, the vast majority of the support for BF, and resultant anti-TT sentiment seems based primarily on two things:

1. An unwavering belief that BF is the not only the better answer, but the ONLY answer.

2. That BF is being mostly truthful, and has been lied to and decieved by TT...a belief that is not well proven, but only speculated based primarily on the statements of BF himself.

I'm not trying to get you or any other Favre believer to change his mind on what you feel is the right answer, because not only are you entitled to that opinion, but you have strong, valid arguments. What I'm trying to get you and others to do is back off of TT, not because I have a man-crush for him like some do for BF, but because I think you're unwavering acceptance of the two points above has cause you to inappropriately and unfairly judge the man.

Now...If you can see that point, it's much easier to see/understand TT's later moves. He could have handled all of this better, but that's very easy to say from my living room, in hindsight. Too easy.

O...and please answer my other questions! :)
What other questions? I'm not judging the man. I've no idea what kind of a guy he is. I think Thompson has made a huge error in managing this team. Nothing to do with being "on" him or backing off him. It's just my opinion of what he's done here. This is my opinion on what I think is going to happen. We'll know what happened in a few months.

J
It's so funny because the only way that Thompson could feel in any way good about keeping Favre is if the Packers won a Super Bowl this year. What are the odds for that to happen? 12/1? 10/1? Let's go crazy and say 8/1, maybe? Imagine a more realistic scenario: the Packers going 11-5 with Favre, winning a playoff game and losing in the next playoff game, whether that be the divisional round or the conference championship.

February rolls around and Favre's "taking time with his family to decide whether he wants to keep playing". Is this trip really necessary? Is the team better off for having made it? What ever happened to the old adage about it being better to get rid of an aging star a year too soon rather than a year too late?

Again, I just don't see how Thompson has screwed this up from a football management standpoint. From a P.R. standpoint? Maybe. But not a football standpoint.

Okay, almost everything is speculative at this point since we are not privy to the actual talks.Let's look at what we know.a. Brett filed for reinstatement and reported to camp. Very few players report to a training camp without be willing to practice. In fact, I cannot generate a reasonable explanation for why one would. What did he have to lose by practicing. b. Favre has reported wanting to play for the Packers. MM and TT have confirmed this. Playing involves practicing and every position is a competition. I see this as beyond dispute since every party agrees: Brett wants to play. Playing involves practicing. No one has said otherwise. No one has said Favre wasn't willing to compete. BF and MM said he was. c. Several reports have said (based on Favre camps leaks, I imagine) that he would not be allowed to pactice with the team. McCarthy has at one point said this was the plan. Then Murphey said, "no, it would be a competition". d. Favre came to camp and left. As far as we know, without fine. If they were not fine with him leaving, if they did not desire it, they might be expected to fine him for not participating. My inference is they did not want nor would allow him to practice in a normal fashion...with players. And it is consistent with what we KNOW at one point the Packers had said. e. The Packers have often said he was welcome then done things that conveyed the opposite. The same does not seem to be true for Favre. So it is not a large stretch to see it this way:1. Favre showed, was told he would not get to practice with the team nor compete. He would not play during preseason.2. Favre found this role unacceptable and suspected he might get cut at the last minute. 3. It was clear to all that if Favre did choose to continue to show up and even do individual practices it would be a zoo. Neiher he nor the Packers want one. Favre decides not to put the team through the ringer to try to force them to cut him soon.4. Favre leaves camp. 5. McCarthy reports Favre was not in the right place about playing with the Packers. Technically probably true. But we do not know what the conditions were. We also do not know if Favre at some point just changed his mind after all the "untruths" of FO telling him one thing and then saying another to the media. By Tuesday, he might not be willing to play for assclowns who ddiiiccckkk him around all the time.
Come on...now you're acting toolish. Isn't it remotely possible that MM wanted Brett to know that while BF was welcome on the team, he may want to start Rodgers anyway? Maybe both realized that should MM decide Rodgers was the better choice (for whatever reason), BF was not in the right frame of mind, not committed enought to the TEAM, to sit the bench? Isn't it even remotely reasonable that maybe MM decided against the open competition since Favre couldn't handle being benched?Both MM and BF said they'd love an open competition, and I believe them. But I ask (for the hundreth time), how was a fair and open competition even remotely possible? You talked about conditions....what conditions would Favre need? Look, I don't have all of the answers in here, but it's very very clear to me that the average BF supporter is believeing virtually everything he says and is incapable of even acknowledging that anyone else could reasonably believe Rodgers might be the better answer for the Packers.
I am not asserting whether or not Favre is a better short or long term answer for the Packers.I am asserting that the Packers APPEAR to have made up there mind that he was not to be allowed to be part of the team and consistently have misrepresented it to the public. Since June, it was clear they never wanted him to play for them this season even as a backup. He was not welcomed. He was not given a chance to compete. They said these things and they were not true.
I agree, but I do disagree on the meanings/reasons behind it. From all APPEARances, they were ready and willing, maybe even wanted BF back up until a couple months ago, but BF changed his mind a month ago. Put yourself in their shoes, assume for a second that you believe Rodgers is the best path for the team...what do you do? It was a heck of a spot to be in.
And there is no evidence he would have been allowed to practice with the team. Instead, we have both BF and MM saying he was not be. That is evidence.
Yes, but evidance with multiple possible interpretations. I gave an legitimate alternate interpretation.
What I was also responding to was an assertion that Favre was AFRAID to compete. This was a lot more speculative than the inferences I have made based on what has been said by one or more of the parties who actually know something.
I don't think Favre was afraid to compete. I think he's afraid that the organization had already made up their minds...and he may be right! I also believe that he refused to buy into the team concept enough to allow that to happen. IE: He would NEVER ride the pine quietly.
Toolish as as toolish does my friend. I am actually not all that biased. Both parties moving on makes sense to me. What does not is the exact kind of misinformation that Brett accuses TT of in the past. Saying one thing to him, then another to the media.
Hearsay with the primary person calling this being BF. TT has actually said very little to the press. MOST of the supposed lies TT has told him are not proven, but simply stated as lies by BF.
At this point I trust Favre at his word a WHOLE LOT more than any member of the Packers organization.I mean they said things like welcome and backup then sent Murphey down with a 25 million dollar offer to stay retired.I simply think it is beyond a reasonable doubt that since April the ever intended to allow him to be part of the team. Every action they have taken was to try to make sure he would not or could not be. But they never ever had the integrity to come out and say it..
I agree.....but were we part ways is that I believe they were well within their rights to take that approach. While I also agree that they could have been more forthright, BF wasn't exactly forthright himself until recently. Also, fro what I understand the 25 million dollar marketing deal was proposed long ago, before all of this, but was brought up again during this. Now, again put yourself in TTs shoes...look at this media firestorm over the topic. they KNEW the mess that would happen if Favre changed his mind again. While a bribe seems weak..I can certainly understand their desperation to avoid this mess. Unfortunately for them, it only made it worse.
This has nothing at all to do with who I believe should or should not be the starting QB. I has a lot to do with who I think should be in management of a franchise with a storied history.I would rather lose with integrity than give it up to win.
I don't think they've given it up. I think they're fighting like heck to keep it in a horrible, virtually unwinnable situation. If they really believe Rodgers to be the right answer, then giving in to Favre would have been a violation of their integrity.
But here is the thing: I disagree Favre has not been honest and upfront. Yes, he tried to use the media to force a release. But I think he was pretty straightforward about that too.You say Favre's claims count as hearsay. But when the other party has clearly been deceitful, I give the weight the the person who has not been.All Favre did was change his mind. The entire organization appears to have conspired to say one thing to him and another to the fans and media.You will argue that it is the same thing, PR.I disagree. I think it is still a bunch of hogwash.

And it's not an issue of 1996. It's an issue of 2008 Favre vs 2008 Rodgers. For that I say suck it up.

J
Joe, theres an awful lot of guys whose opinions we both respect who've gone on record as saying they didn't see BF as any more then an average QB (Maurile is one).Now, we might be wrong, but this opinion wasn't based on TT's choices, but our own observations of what BF has done over the past few years.

Contrary to popular opinion, it is NOT always in the best interests of any franchise to go with the best guy "this year". At some point, ou have to let go the old and welcome the new...at some point.

We can agree to disagree on the right answer, but TT is NOT alone in his thinking...there are MANY of us who agree that it's time to move on with Rodgers.

From what I can tell, the vast majority of the support for BF, and resultant anti-TT sentiment seems based primarily on two things:

1. An unwavering belief that BF is the not only the better answer, but the ONLY answer.

2. That BF is being mostly truthful, and has been lied to and decieved by TT...a belief that is not well proven, but only speculated based primarily on the statements of BF himself.

I'm not trying to get you or any other Favre believer to change his mind on what you feel is the right answer, because not only are you entitled to that opinion, but you have strong, valid arguments. What I'm trying to get you and others to do is back off of TT, not because I have a man-crush for him like some do for BF, but because I think you're unwavering acceptance of the two points above has cause you to inappropriately and unfairly judge the man.

Now...If you can see that point, it's much easier to see/understand TT's later moves. He could have handled all of this better, but that's very easy to say from my living room, in hindsight. Too easy.

O...and please answer my other questions! :goodposting:
What other questions? I'm not judging the man. I've no idea what kind of a guy he is. I think Thompson has made a huge error in managing this team. Nothing to do with being "on" him or backing off him. It's just my opinion of what he's done here. This is my opinion on what I think is going to happen. We'll know what happened in a few months.

J
It's so funny because the only way that Thompson could feel in any way good about keeping Favre is if the Packers won a Super Bowl this year. What are the odds for that to happen? 12/1? 10/1? Let's go crazy and say 8/1, maybe? Imagine a more realistic scenario: the Packers going 11-5 with Favre, winning a playoff game and losing in the next playoff game, whether that be the divisional round or the conference championship.

February rolls around and Favre's "taking time with his family to decide whether he wants to keep playing". Is this trip really necessary? Is the team better off for having made it? What ever happened to the old adage about it being better to get rid of an aging star a year too soon rather than a year too late?

Again, I just don't see how Thompson has screwed this up from a football management standpoint. From a P.R. standpoint? Maybe. But not a football standpoint.
You say it's realistic to think that Favre could lead them to 11-5 and one playoff win. I'd agree with that.If you think it's just as realistic to think Rodgers will do that, then I'd agree with you.

If you don't think it's just as realistic to think Rodgers will do that, then Thompson screwed this up. From a football management standpoint.

J

J

J

You say it's realistic to think that Favre could lead them to 11-5 and one playoff win. I'd agree with that.If you think it's just as realistic to think Rodgers will do that, then I'd agree with you.

If you don't think it's just as realistic to think Rodgers will do that, then Thompson screwed this up. From a football management standpoint.

J
I also don't think it really matters what we think, it matters in what Thompson and McCarthy honestly believe. If they honestly believe they have as good a shot at winning a SB with Rodgers, then they are doing the right thing. We'd never in a million years get one of those two to admit otherwise though.Another side of this is the fans. I'm a big Troy Aikman fan and it would have killed me to see Aikman QB for some other team. Brett Farve is more than just a player to many Green Bay fans, and Thompson should have bent over backwards to keep Farve in Green Bay not only for the players who deserve the best but the loyal fans of Green Bay.

Although it's fun and games to a guy like me that Farve is going to the Jets, there are some die hard Packer fans who love Brett Farve and probably think it's down right blasphemy that Brett Farve is playing QB for another team when Farve wanted to come back to GB.

J

O...and please answer my other questions! ;)

J

J
I also don't think it really matters what we think, it matters in what Thompson and McCarthy honestly believe. If they honestly believe they have as good a shot at winning a SB with Rodgers, then they are doing the right thing. We'd never in a million years get one of those two to admit otherwise though.Another side of this is the fans. I'm a big Troy Aikman fan and it would have killed me to see Aikman QB for some other team. Brett Farve is more than just a player to many Green Bay fans, and Thompson should have bent over backwards to keep Farve in Green Bay not only for the players who deserve the best but the loyal fans of Green Bay.

Although it's fun and games to a guy like me that Farve is going to the Jets, there are some die hard Packer fans who love Brett Farve and probably think it's down right blasphemy that Brett Farve is playing QB for another team when Farve wanted to come back to GB.
:rolleyes: :lmao:

Joe Bryant said:

J

J

J
What about the bolded part? Is it worth it if Rodgers does this in 2009 after a rough start in 2008, and then continues into the future as a successful starter for the Packers?

Limiting the window to 2008 is short-sighted. I recognize how little you can rely upon the future in the NFL beyond this year, but very few teams have entered this season and discarded consideration of 2009, and I have yet to hear a good explanation for the Packers, one of the league's youngest teams, doing just that.

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
The bolded part has been very heavily debated. A strong argument could be made that BF did NOT, in fact, want to come back and play for GB, and he almost certainly didn't want to do so under any conditions other then his own.I'm not saying you're wrong on that, but I am saying you COULD be wrong, and that possibility should, at the very least, cause you some significant hesitation in your judgements here.

The bolded part has been very heavily debated. A strong argument could be made that BF did NOT, in fact, want to come back and play for GB, and he almost certainly didn't want to do so under any conditions other then his own.I'm not saying you're wrong on that, but I am saying you COULD be wrong, and that possibility should, at the very least, cause you some significant hesitation in your judgements here.
:shrug:

Perhaps this is a difference between my viewpoint and the viewpoints of those bashing Favre.I don't think any competitor should ever ride the pine quietly if it is clear he is better than the starter. In Favre's mind, he would never be the second best QB on the team unless he was clearly beaten out. Can't blame him for that, given his history and the nature of a competitor. But the implication here that the organization made up their mind to go with Rodgers without a competition implies Favre wasn't beaten out. Thus I don't see why anyone would expect him to "ride the pine quietly."
Neither did they, and I think that's part of why they never wanted him to even show up.Look at it this way...Suppose you had a DIFFERENT 38 y.o. QB, once a good player, but clearly declinging. At this stage, he's average to maybe slightly above, but declining in skills. You have a kidyou think is close in skills, but you need him on the filed to know for sure. Clearly, the kid can't get better unless he's playing (he's been on the sidelines three years now). WHERE DO YOU GO? 90% of GMs/coaches start the kid, as he's clearly the future. People are butchering TT/MM for making a decision that is routinely made in sports all of the time, just because of the NAME of that aged QB....and that's just plain wrong.

I've seen this argument made and I don't buy it completely. I've also not seen anyone address my point. If you are saying that Favre did NOT at all want to play for the Packers again, then you are saying that when Brett started this back up in June with the call to TT, if TT says sure, come on back, no problem, you are arguing that Brett would have said, forget it, release me. Is that your argument?

I've seen this argument made and I don't buy it completely. I've also not seen anyone address my point. If you are saying that Favre did NOT at all want to play for the Packers again, then you are saying that when Brett started this back up in June with the call to TT, if TT says sure, come on back, no problem, you are arguing that Brett would have said, forget it, release me. Is that your argument?
Not trying to make that particular argument CB. I think BF did want to play for them, but only under his terms. I'm simply pointing out that that argument is out there, and is reasonable. Too many things are being taken for granted as "fact" by both side in this argument that are not, in fact, fact.

Look, it's human nature that we percieve the actions of those we love in a more positive light. For those we are really head over heals for, we tend to twist things frequently as far as we can to see things in that light.

WE do this for our families all of the time. Even cold blooded serial killers often have loving parents taken completey un-awares when the truth finally comes completely into the light. Sometimes, they still don't accept the truth.

Brett Favre is one of the most beloved football players of at least our generation, if not all time. TT is just another suit. I think that MANY BF supporters have simply succumbed to human nature.

One of the most frustrating aspects of this effect is that as long as those "lovers" have even the smallest shred of evidance to hold on to, it's virtually impossible to convince them otherwise. (Think of the battered wife!)

Even when the lover can make a strong argument, they are still completely deaf to any counter, and tend to judge the person making the counter more then the situation itself.

ETA: We see this in fantasy ALL THE TIME. Thus the :unsure: smiley!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant said:

J

O...and please answer my other questions! :unsure:

J

J

I think everyone is looking at this wrong. I would put it the other way, they don't think Favre is good enough to bring them to the SB and it is time to move on.

Joe Bryant said:

J

O...and please answer my other questions! :hot:

J

J

I think everyone is looking at this wrong. I would put it the other way, they don't think Favre is good enough to bring them to the SB and it is time to move on.
:thumbdown: Personally, I think it's highly unlikely that either Favre or Rodgers would win a Super Bowl in Green Bay this year. I'd have to assume the Vegas odds with Favre as a Packer would be around 10/1 or 12/1, meaning that either roughly 9 times out of 10 or 11 times out of 12 they'd fail to win it this year. With Rodgers the odds would have to be higher.

I fail to see why getting that extra regular season win or two with Favre, or even an extra playoff win, is so important when you know you're on borrowed time with Favre, you have good reason to suspect that Favre won't be able to completely replicate his startlingly good performance from last year, and the rest of your team is young and will certainly need to have another QB throwing to them anyway in order to reach their full potential as a team.

You know what the ceiling is with Favre - you saw it last year. Maybe they could go farther and win the Super Bowl with him, but that's highly unlikely from an odds standpoint, and also in light of Brett's poor playoff performances in recent years. It was time to move on and the Packers did.

I don't know if this has been posted but I just heard on NFL Sirius that the poison pill applied to any NFC north team.
Well...I guess this is finally an example of a trade being done like this huh?As for Favre to the Jets. Good move for GB.Keep him out of the NFC...keep him from going to TB and Garcia going to Minny (could have happened).All in all...what were the last 3 weeks about for Brett...as GB offered TB and NY to him a while back, and he refused to talk to him.Are the ardent Brett supporters going to admit he messed up at all?

Favre did want to come back and play for the Packers. Thompson and the organization made it quite clear to Brett over the last few days that they DID NOT WANT BRETT TO PLAY FOR THEM AGAIN. They wouldn't even let him near the locker room on Sunday for the scrimmage.

I don't know if this has been posted but I just heard on NFL Sirius that the poison pill applied to any NFC north team.
Well...I guess this is finally an example of a trade being done like this huh?As for Favre to the Jets. Good move for GB.Keep him out of the NFC...keep him from going to TB and Garcia going to Minny (could have happened).All in all...what were the last 3 weeks about for Brett...as GB offered TB and NY to him a while back, and he refused to talk to him.Are the ardent Brett supporters going to admit he messed up at all?
Can you show me someone who said he didn't mess up at all? Are you really so delusional that you think that everyone "against" you in this has an absolute position?

Joe Bryant said:

J

O...and please answer my other questions! :hifive:

J

J

<_< Personally, I think it's highly unlikely that either Favre or Rodgers would win a Super Bowl in Green Bay this year. I'd have to assume the Vegas odds with Favre as a Packer would be around 10/1 or 12/1, meaning that either roughly 9 times out of 10 or 11 times out of 12 they'd fail to win it this year. With Rodgers the odds would have to be higher.

I fail to see why getting that extra regular season win or two with Favre, or even an extra playoff win, is so important when you know you're on borrowed time with Favre, you have good reason to suspect that Favre won't be able to completely replicate his startlingly good performance from last year, and the rest of your team is young and will certainly need to have another QB throwing to them anyway in order to reach their full potential as a team.

You know what the ceiling is with Favre - you saw it last year. Maybe they could go farther and win the Super Bowl with him, but that's highly unlikely from an odds standpoint, and also in light of Brett's poor playoff performances in recent years. It was time to move on and the Packers did.
I don't see a huge problem with this logic. I'm not arguing for or against it. I'm arguing that TT screwed this thing up badly and putting all the blame for the situation on Favre is crazy. I don't think you've ever said that though.

Can you show me someone who said he didn't mess up at all? Are you really so delusional that you think that everyone "against" you in this has an absolute position?
I can see plenty of the Favre supporters that would not admit he had fault in this.Its throughout this thread.Where did I say everyone was against me?Over the past several days plenty of people have been saying the same thing I have been saying.Are you just trying to start something?Or do you have anything of actual substance to add?

I can see plenty of the Favre supporters that would not admit he had fault in this.Its throughout this thread.Where did I say everyone was against me?Over the past several days plenty of people have been saying the same thing I have been saying.Are you just trying to start something?Or do you have anything of actual substance to add?
Once again, your reading comprehension needs a lot of work. I didn't say everyone WAS against you. I asked if you thought that everyone THAT WAS against you in this thread has an absolute position. Can you answer the question?

Once again, your reading comprehension needs a lot of work. I didn't say everyone WAS against you. I asked if you thought that everyone THAT WAS against you in this thread has an absolute position. Can you answer the question?
No...I will not answer questions from someone who just wants to be argumentative and not be civil.I misread it...fine...sorry.But nowhere have I claimed anyone had any absolute position.I never claimed all supporters believed that...and answered that I have seen plenty that will not admit fault.I will leave it at that.Instead of actually addressing the point...you are trying to get into something and decided instead to basically insult my intelligence over a mistake.Grow up.

The only person involved in this who is not a fault is Aaron Rodgers.

No...I will not answer questions from someone who just wants to be argumentative and not be civil.I misread it...fine...sorry.But nowhere have I claimed anyone had any absolute position.I never claimed all supporters believed that...and answered that I have seen plenty that will not admit fault.I will leave it at that.Instead of actually addressing the point...you are trying to get into something and decided instead to basically insult my intelligence over a mistake.Grow up.
Sure you did. You said are the Favre supporters going to admit that they messed up at all. Didn't you? That's insulting to those of us that "support" Favre in this but certainly don't think he's blameless. That's an absolutely stupid statement to make. So don't tell me that I'm being argumentative when you started this by insulting my intelligence, and those of lots of other people here, with that ridiculous question.

Sure you did. You said are the Favre supporters going to admit that they messed up at all. Didn't you? That's insulting to those of us that "support" Favre in this but certainly don't think he's blameless. That's an absolutely stupid statement to make. So don't tell me that I'm being argumentative when you started this by insulting my intelligence, and those of lots of other people here, with that ridiculous question.
Yawn.No...never did I insult your intelligence.Like I said...grow up.

Would you let any of them bad-mouth you constantly, calling you a liar nultiple times in the press, questioning your every move IN PUBLIC (basicly implying you're not fit for the job)???????

Brett Favre has done all of these things with TT...BEFORE HE EVER RETIRED
I don't recall him calling Thompson a liar before he retired. Maybe he did but I don't recall it. I do recall the things he said about the Packers failing to sign Randy Moss, and there is no way to read them except as criticism of Thompson:from Favre criticizes Packers' failed attempt at trading for Moss, May 12, 2007

"I know what we could have signed him for," Favre told Memphis television station WMC-TV at his annual charity golf tournament Saturday in Tunica, Miss. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we could have paid him. It (was) well worth the risk."
"The last thing I want to do is start anything," Favre said Saturday. "But I think he would have been a great addition. You throw Randy Moss, you throw Donald Driver and you throw Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go three-wide receiver set, I think it's pretty intimidating. And we lost out on that, and it's a shame because I know we could have had him."
and from FRUSTRATED FAVRE, May 13, 2007 (archived copy)
"It is disappointing," Favre said. "It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn't want to restructure his contract were not true.

"He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough either."

Favre doesn't want to come across as a bad guy of the group and he remains dedicated to Green Bay. However, he said to get a good player, you must pay a good player. And good players win football games.

"I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," he said. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me."
These are the quotes I'd seen.I don't think they're as bad as what Rene is remembering. Yes, he's voicing frustration and being critical saying he badly wanted a guy like Moss. I think what he said is what many Green Bay fans were saying. But I don't think it's as negative a tone as some are remembering.

J
I agree that we've seen uglier, but it's also true that there's a been a constant whine from Hattiesburg in recent offseasons, defined in time as after Sherman (who gave Favre the run of the place) was replaced by Thompson. Every major decision or (allegedly) missed opportunity has seen Favre commenting on what he thinks should be done- not resigning Rivera; not resigning Wahle; not signing Moss; hiring McCarthy (this was less express as Favre was lobbying for Mariucci); the "we need to make a statement with a big signing" comment two years ago; etc., and that's just off the top of my head. Instead of a single big blowup, it's been death by a thousand cuts. Add that to the annual months-long drama about whether or not he'll return, and I can easily see where Thompson has had his fill and wants to be rid of this "legend" that he's been saddled with.
That's cool. We just disagree with how much of a negative this "death by a thousand cuts" (I"m sorry but that's a little melodramatic) is and more importantly, what you're getting in return.Aaron Rodgers will be quiet as a mouse and never be bigger than Ted Thompson in the foreseeable future. He also might be Joey Harrington or Kyle Boller. That's the gamble. If I'm Thompson, I man up and take my thousand cuts (and maybe avoid some of the bonehead moves that are drawing these like not bungling the Moss deal).

J
Not really wanting to promote the who's to blame game here but I'm still interested in seeing an answer to the original question posed by fatness because I think it's important to how the Packers and Favre got to this point. How many here would be able to quit their job, go on national television and call the business owner a liar and bad-mouth him, change their mind, ask for their job back, and still get it back?Show of hands?

Anyone?

I think both sides, by their own admission, have said things they both regretted saying. But you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Both sides have said things that have damaged the relationship. McCarthy wasn't convinced that Favre could get past that and wisely didn't want the negativity in his locker room. Favre realized he couldn't get past what was said and wants to play elsewhere.

I would also like to hear from those that think the Packers should just bring Favre back because he is the better QB. I agree he is but IMO it's not that black and white. After Favre's retirement/unretirement/retirement in March Mike McCarthy told Rodgers he is the starting QB, told the team to get behind Rodgers as the starting QB. Aaron Rodgers has done nothing to betray that decision. He has showed up at all the off-season practices, workouts, etc. He has had the whole team over almost weekly for cookouts. The only time Favre has showed up in Green Bay since his retirement announcement was Sunday night. Favre hasn't even worked out with his personal trainer as in years past. And now McCarthy is supposed to go back on his word to Rodgrs and the team because Favre wants to come back? If he were to do that he would lose the trust of most of the team.
I can ask the same question, how many people here have ever been offered 20-25 mill to stay away from their job?Anyone?

The only person involved in this who is not a fault is Aaron Rodgers.
I agree 100% and feel bad for him. I honestly didn't think he'd ever be that great, but it does suck for this to happen to him. Favre probably has a little more blame in this, but I think TT really screwed with Aaron in how they handled it.

:popcorn:

Please guys, lets keep the tone civil. "stupid statement" and "grow up" are both hostile postings - tone it down please. I don't want to be the most unpopular mod in the universe but I'm getting really tired of being constantly pinged with reports from this thread. Lots of folks don't appreciate what y'all are bringing to this topic.Keep it civil or this one will have to close. TIA

Please guys, lets keep the tone civil. "stupid statement" and "grow up" are both hostile postings - tone it down please. I don't want to be the most unpopular mod in the universe but I'm getting really tired of being constantly pinged with reports from this thread. Lots of folks don't appreciate what y'all are bringing to this topic.Keep it civil or this one will have to close. TIA
Im trying to keep it civil.Im asking someone to grow up who is showing he only wants to argue semantics and not actually discuss anything. It has been going on for several days.I quit calling people ignorant...when I disagreed with someone I stated why and brought facts.

Well...I guess this is finally an example of a trade being done like this huh?As for Favre to the Jets.

Good move for GB.

Keep him out of the NFC...keep him from going to TB and Garcia going to Minny (could have happened).

All in all...what were the last 3 weeks about for Brett...as GB offered TB and NY to him a while back, and he refused to talk to him.

Are the ardent Brett supporters going to admit he messed up at all?
Could have happened but Garcia was a free agent last season and the Vikings didn't even think about signing him, so doubt they would now when they are committed to Tarvaris.

Well...I guess this is finally an example of a trade being done like this huh?As for Favre to the Jets.

Good move for GB.

Keep him out of the NFC...keep him from going to TB and Garcia going to Minny (could have happened).

All in all...what were the last 3 weeks about for Brett...as GB offered TB and NY to him a while back, and he refused to talk to him.

Are the ardent Brett supporters going to admit he messed up at all?
Could have happened but Garcia was a free agent last season and the Vikings didn't even think about signing him, so doubt they would now when they are committed to Tarvaris.
Maybe they did not realize as much last year.I don't know.

I know he would have known the offense pretty well...or at least be able to grasp it since he had played for Reid right after Childress left.

Plus he has a pretty decent record with doing well for some teams.

IMO, it would have been a good move for Minnesota.

Sorry Mark and everyone. I've just had enough of him doing this throughout this thread (and the others) and wanted to call him on it. My bad.

Personally, I think it's highly unlikely that either Favre or Rodgers would win a Super Bowl in Green Bay this year. I'd have to assume the Vegas odds with Favre as a Packer would be around 10/1 or 12/1, meaning that either roughly 9 times out of 10 or 11 times out of 12 they'd fail to win it this year. With Rodgers the odds would have to be higher. I fail to see why getting that extra regular season win or two with Favre, or even an extra playoff win, is so important when you know you're on borrowed time with Favre, you have good reason to suspect that Favre won't be able to completely replicate his startlingly good performance from last year, and the rest of your team is young and will certainly need to have another QB throwing to them anyway in order to reach their full potential as a team. You know what the ceiling is with Favre - you saw it last year. Maybe they could go farther and win the Super Bowl with him, but that's highly unlikely from an odds standpoint, and also in light of Brett's poor playoff performances in recent years. It was time to move on and the Packers did.
I don't see a huge problem with this logic. I'm not arguing for or against it. I'm arguing that TT screwed this thing up badly and putting all the blame for the situation on Favre is crazy. I don't think you've ever said that though.
I wouldn't say "screwed it up badly", but I do agree that Thompson has strangely refused to be open about this line of thinking. Even in yesterday's press release in light of Favre's trade to the Jets, they referred to "Favre's decision to leave", which was disingenuous in that it omitted the team's contribution to that decision, and perhaps the team's forcing of that decision, depending upon who you believe. That I don't like. I haven't spent much time debating that aspect of things, however, because I've been focused on the football aspect of all of this more than the public relations/spin aspect, and the team's decision is entirely justifiable from a football aspect.

Brett Favre did not want to play in GB from day one. He wanted to go to Minn., end of story. He blocked trades, didn't file, etc. and dragged this out until he finally figured out he wasn't going there. Packer Fans have remained loyal to Favre the problem is Favre wanted nothing to do with them.

Personally, I think it's highly unlikely that either Favre or Rodgers would win a Super Bowl in Green Bay this year. I'd have to assume the Vegas odds with Favre as a Packer would be around 10/1 or 12/1, meaning that either roughly 9 times out of 10 or 11 times out of 12 they'd fail to win it this year. With Rodgers the odds would have to be higher. I fail to see why getting that extra regular season win or two with Favre, or even an extra playoff win, is so important when you know you're on borrowed time with Favre, you have good reason to suspect that Favre won't be able to completely replicate his startlingly good performance from last year, and the rest of your team is young and will certainly need to have another QB throwing to them anyway in order to reach their full potential as a team. You know what the ceiling is with Favre - you saw it last year. Maybe they could go farther and win the Super Bowl with him, but that's highly unlikely from an odds standpoint, and also in light of Brett's poor playoff performances in recent years. It was time to move on and the Packers did.
I wouldn't say "screwed it up badly", but I do agree that Thompson has strangely refused to be open about this line of thinking. Even in yesterday's press release in light of Favre's trade to the Jets, they referred to "Favre's decision to leave", which was disingenuous in that it omitted the team's contribution to that decision, and perhaps the team's forcing of that decision, depending upon who you believe. That I don't like. I haven't spent much time debating that aspect of things, however, because I've been focused on the football aspect of all of this more than the public relations/spin aspect, and the team's decision is entirely justifiable from a football aspect.
Trust me when I tell you that you don't want to start debating the PR/spin aspect of this. :wolf:

Brett Favre did not want to play in GB from day one. He wanted to go to Minn., end of story. He blocked trades, didn't file, etc. and dragged this out until he finally figured out he wasn't going there. Packer Fans have remained loyal to Favre the problem is Favre wanted nothing to do with them.
Two questions:1) What makes you think that?2) Do you believe it was Minn because they're the Packers biggest rival?

Trust me when I tell you that you don't want to start debating the PR/spin aspect of this. :confused:
No doubt. That's the more emotional, less objective part of this story, which is why I've tried to avoid it except insofar as parts of it impacted the football decision-making.

Mark Wimer said:
sho nuff said:
ConstruxBoy said:
What Mark said. The "grow up" when you don't like what someone else is not what we want here. If that's too strict for you, find another board. TIA.J

ConstruxBoy said:
Phurfur said:
Two questions:1) What makes you think that?2) Do you believe it was Minn because they're the Packers biggest rival?
I think Favre has wanted out of GB for a few years now. I think it is partly because of the Steve Mariucci and Randy Moss situations. I don't think he liked TT at all and Mike McCarthey made him work to hard. I think that was his reference to mental fatigue in Feb. He was looking to go back to the easy days of Mike Sherman and Derrell Bevel.

there is supposed to be a press conference in a couple of minutes - anybody with a link to the live conference?
"Favre told not to practice unless committed to Packers new direction at QB."No QB battle. Per ESPN

Oy Vey!
wow and I was kinda worried that the packers wised up
Unbelievable. Vikings and Bears fans have to be :lmao: :lol: :lmao: over this.
Look at Joe stirring the pot. It's hard enough already to wade through the slap fights in here.
No stirring here raider. I've been pretty clear on where I am on this in the email updates.The GM has one job: Put the best team he possibly can on the field.

Any GM that thinks that team includes Aaron Rodgers over Brett Favre ought to resign.

These guys are acting like high school kids. This isn't about ego. This isn't personal. This is business. And it appears to me that the Packers front office is unable to put personal aside and focus on the business. I guess it helps that they'll sell out no matter what kind of product they put on the field. But it's painful to watch these guys screw it up so badly.
Does Ted Thompson not deserve some benefit of the doubt, given what he's accomplished so far in his tenure?
Not anymore. If Favre plays for another team this year it will be the end for TT in Green Bay.
It might be time to realize that a successful GM might just know more about his team than a bunch of message board goons. ;)

Not looking like a bad move so far.

I will stand by my statement though that if Rodgers flops (and i think he will). Thompson will be run out of town in a New York minute. Rodgers is a stiff. A hig draft pick that will end up being a mistake. Not anything new when it comes to QB busts.I am calling it now. I am not waiting to watch him play in a real NFL game...I have seen enough with his pre-seasons and that Family night....OMG...brutal.
Man, you must have REALLY hated Favre the first few years he was in the league.
LOL....When I saw Favre leap into the endzone with a partially seperated shoudler his first year as a Packer I knew right then and there they had a football player. Give me a break.When you have been watching football your whole life you kinda learn what it takes to play in the league and we all watch a ton of football playing this silly game of fantasy. Aaron Rodgers will never come close to what Favre has done.....he will not lead Green Bay to any championships...in fact within 2 years he will not be the starting QB of Green Bay. And Green Bay is going to finally find out what life without Brett Favre feels like.It is going to suck.
:coffee: For potential crow eating.
potential?

I will stand by my statement though that if Rodgers flops (and i think he will). Thompson will be run out of town in a New York minute. Rodgers is a stiff. A hig draft pick that will end up being a mistake. Not anything new when it comes to QB busts.I am calling it now. I am not waiting to watch him play in a real NFL game...I have seen enough with his pre-seasons and that Family night....OMG...brutal.
Man, you must have REALLY hated Favre the first few years he was in the league.
LOL....When I saw Favre leap into the endzone with a partially seperated shoudler his first year as a Packer I knew right then and there they had a football player. Give me a break.When you have been watching football your whole life you kinda learn what it takes to play in the league and we all watch a ton of football playing this silly game of fantasy. Aaron Rodgers will never come close to what Favre has done.....he will not lead Green Bay to any championships...in fact within 2 years he will not be the starting QB of Green Bay. And Green Bay is going to finally find out what life without Brett Favre feels like.It is going to suck.
:shock: For potential crow eating.
potential?
:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread