What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FDR has something to say to Democrats (1 Viewer)

NCCommish

Footballguy
Prescient:

Franklin D. Roosevelt Letter to the Democratic Convention

July 18, 1940

Members of the Convention:

In the century in which we live, the Democratic Party has received the support of the electorate only when the party, with absolute clarity, has been the champion of progressive and liberal policies and principles of government.

The party has failed consistently when through political trading and chicanery it has fallen into the control of those interests, personal and financial, which think in terms of dollars instead of in terms of human values.

The Republican Party has made its nominations this year at the dictation of those who, we all know, always place money ahead of human progress.

The Democratic Convention, as appears clear from the events of today, is divided on this fundamental issue. Until the Democratic Party through this convention makes overwhelmingly clear its stand in favor of social progress and liberalism, and shakes off all the shackles of control fastened upon it by the forces of conservatism, reaction, and appeasement, it will not continue its march of victory.

It is without question that certain political influences pledged to reaction in domestic affairs and to appeasement in foreign affairs have been busily engaged behind the scenes in the promotion of discord since this Convention convened.

Under these circumstances, I cannot, in all honor, and will not, merely for political expediency, go along with the cheap bargaining and political maneuvering which have brought about party dissension in this convention.

It is best not to straddle ideals.

In these days of danger when democracy must be more than vigilant, there can be no connivance with the kind of politics which has internally weakened nations abroad before the enemy has struck from without.

It is best for America to have the fight out here and now.

I wish to give the Democratic Party the opportunity to make its historic decision clearly and without equivocation. The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time.

By declining the honor of the nomination for the presidency, I can restore that opportunity to the convention. I so do.
FDR never sent this letter. Because Eleanor won the battle before it became necessary for him to do so. He got his liberal choice for VP after her speech at the convention.

But everything he says here applies to today. And you know I often wonder why do today's Democrat never mention FDR? Why aren't they the party of FDR? GOP loves to bring up Lincoln but rarely if ever do Democrats bring up FDR. Guy only saved capitalism. You know why? Because starting with Clinton they have been dismantling the New Deal. DIsmantled Glass Stegall. Gutted welfare. Exploded the prison population. And generally crapped on the working class every chance they got.

FDR is telling you right here why you are wiped out:

In the century in which we live, the Democratic Party has received the support of the electorate only when the party, with absolute clarity, has been the champion of progressive and liberal policies and principles of government.

The party has failed consistently when through political trading and chicanery it has fallen into the control of those interests, personal and financial, which think in terms of dollars instead of in terms of human values.
Proof is in the pudding.

Gonna pull your heads out? Or are you going to keep losing? So far the party looks fine with the losing. They got nothing. When asked what they stand for you get meaningless platitudes and word salad. Voted to even undo the little bit Obama did to try to slow the flow of bribes that lead to control by those interests, personal and financial, which think in terms of dollars instead of in terms of human values. So far shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. There is only one guy with FDRs message on his mind. And as we are constantly reminded he isn't a Democrat. Thank god for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump wants a travel ban, FDR actually interred U.S. citizens, and i believe Jewish refugees were sent away after trying to land here, as well. 

might not be the guy to 'champion' atm  :shrug:

read a nice little bio of a guy who found success during the depression.  He blamed most of the bad in this country on FDR's handout policies.

Trump wants a travel ban, FDR actually interred U.S. citizens, and i believe Jewish refugees were sent away after trying to land here, as well. 

might not be the guy to 'champion' atm  :shrug:
Internment was horrific and no one supports that crap now. It's yet another blemish on our country's record. I believe FDR was wrong on that. But that doesn't mean what is in the letter isn't right and on target to what has happened to the Democratic party and what it has become. And the changes it needs to make.

I don't think FDR would be that far on the progressive wing of the Democratic party today.  He was pro-free trade and supported national security expenditures.  While he supported some welfare state stuff, FDR also called it a "narcotic" -- I don't think his views are inconsistent with welfare reform in the 90s.

Lots of craziness in politics today.  Seems like an odd time to bash traditional allies because they don't meet a purity test.  

If FDR felt that way, why did he replace the progressive Henry Wallace in 1944 with the moderate, centrist Harry Truman? 

And BTW, it's a great thing for history that he did, because Henry Wallace would have been a terrible President. And we would have lost the Cold War at the outset. 

The Republican Party has made its nominations this year at the dictation of those who, we all know, always place money ahead of human progress.
The "this year" may apply when the statement was made but the use of "always" in associating anything with any one party is some of why we've also found ourselves in such a dichotomy between the parties today. All Democrats don't think or believe alike and same for Republicans. It's myopic and will never help us pull out of the tailspin of the political culture that has resulted.

Contrary to some of the comments in here, FDR really was progressive -- he centralized power in the executive branch through administration of policies and enforcement therein. It was a radical departure from the traditional working of the three branches of government. Until then, Congress had a good deal more lawmaking and enforcement power. After FDR got his Court, the administrative state rose and became traditionally left-wing. NCCommish isn't wrong in this respect.  

I think Bannon's quote about dismantling the administrative state has been the only good thing I've heard from the Trump camp yet.  

FDR was the greatest leader this country has ever had.  It's not really that close imo.  I think Bernie would have been similar, but I'm not sure FDR ever had to deal with these Tea Bagger types like Bernie would have.  Oh well.

FDR was the greatest leader this country has ever had.  It's not really that close imo.  I think Bernie would have been similar, but I'm not sure FDR ever had to deal with these Tea Bagger types like Bernie would have.  Oh well.
I'm going to go with Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson above him, but he is top 5.

That is precisely why we must give them bridges, crack & coupons for Li'l Debbie snack cakes so that even the smudgiest people may know the greatness of our love.
my crazy ##### sister in law complained to a JUDGE in divorce court that the farmland, home/garage/barns that he gifted her were a "burden" and shouldn't be considered when deciding how to split up the marital assets (the ex-husband cannot get anything her family gave her) - a "BURDEN" - she is so psycho she literally thought the judge might feel sorry for her

Users who are viewing this thread