What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Felix Jones/DeMarco Murray Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

I agree Murray is the better of the two. I just don't see how Felix doesn't get 40% of the work though if he's healthy. He's got draft pedigree and showed some flash early in his career. I do not think he gets his starting job back, but he'll cut into Murray's production enough to really piss off fantasy owners. On a personal level, neither Murray nor Felix will mind splitting as long as Dallas wins games. Keeping them both fresh would be a huge asset for that team.

I think the players will have something to say about it as well. They team is playing well with a solid running game, and I don't think anyone wants to mess with that-- especially Romo. I think Murray makes his job a lot easier and he won't want to shake that up. Not saying the players run the show, but if they're behind the rookie and he's making it easier to pass the ball, I don't think they'll want Felix to be the lead back again. With that division up for grabs, why mess with a formula that's working?

I think Felix will get a few series each game, but Murray can run and catch so there's no designated position for him to fill. There's no reason to give him anything but an expanded Tanner-like role. It will help Felix stay healthy and they can always use the excuse that they're "easing him back in" because of the injury. Then it's Murray's job until he slows down or Felix does a lot more than he did with his opportunities earlier in the year.

The NFL has such a history of "injured guy hands golden opportunity to another guy who never gives up the job" (see Brady, Tom) that it would be hard to see Dallas really go back to what wasn't working. But anything is possible, I suppose.

I agree Murray is the better of the two. I just don't see how Felix doesn't get 40% of the work though if he's healthy. He's got draft pedigree and showed some flash early in his career. I do not think he gets his starting job back, but he'll cut into Murray's production enough to really piss off fantasy owners. On a personal level, neither Murray nor Felix will mind splitting as long as Dallas wins games. Keeping them both fresh would be a huge asset for that team.
Agreed, and this happens just when fantasy teams are trying to make the playoffs and heading into the playoffs.

Agreed, and this happens just when fantasy teams are trying to make the playoffs and heading into the playoffs.
Disagree. Murray has just had the best stretch of rushing the boys have seen since the mid 90s. The only thing that will change when felix comes back is felix takes tanners spot and may get a couple more carries. Felix will prob find a way to get hurt in his new minor role as well, so this discussion is pretty useless..

My my this thread looks and reads a lot like the foster/Tate thread in the preseason. Felix is the cowboys primary rb. One game against a team that has been gashed by everyone fueled the speculation flames but there is no reason to accept the results of one game against the worst defense the cowboys have faced versus accepting the five games previously. Murray has looked average against all the other opponents and sometimes games like this just happen, especially when a team is hit for a big play early. This is really no different than torry smith and Joe flacco lighting up the rams and looking like world beaters a few weeks ago. How did they look this past week? A good number of people are just trying to be like they were with Tate and making This more than it is. But in reality, Murray will look much more typical this week, even against a bad eagles run D and when Felix returns, maybe Murray separated himself from choice and gets the clear change of pace but he did not Suddenly push Felix out of the job or into a third down role.
three weeks a believer make?

I'm going to guess we end up seeing a 60/40 split of carries between the two... Jerry Jones still has a massive amount of love for Felix Jones and still believes he is the RB he felt he drafted. Maybe late in the year if Jones comes back and does nothing while Murray continues to get 6-10 yards a play. Then I could see Murray taking over the bulk of the work. For now though? I think Jerry Jones will make sure Jason Garrett gets him the touches.

There are none so blind as those that cannot see. A healthy Felix is not sitting on the sidelines. I see this being a hot hand situation...mostly a 50/50 type split when he returns.

There are none so blind as those that cannot see. A healthy Felix is not sitting on the sidelines. I see this being a hot hand situation...mostly a 50/50 type split when he returns.
Why would the Cowboys take the ball out of their best RB's hands, even for 50% of the time? If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there ever been a healthy Felix.Oh, and your posts continue to just give me confidence in Murray.

That's delusional. I think Felix sees about 25% of the work (primarily as a 3rd down back) when/if he returns to the lineup.

I don't pretend to follow the Cowboys situation closely at all but this seems to be the classic Pipp/Gehrig type of situation where the young backup gets his shot due to injury and then proceeds to play so well that there is simply no way to take him out of the lineup no matter the pedigree of the starter. I would be shocked at this point if Dallas goes with anything close to a 50/50 RBBC split. Murray looks like a horse you can ride for the rest of the season and beyond.

Has there ever been a healthy Felix.Oh, and your posts continue to just give me confidence in Murray.
Felix Jones owners so desperately want him to retake his spot they will say anything to convince themselves that will happen. I own Jones in two leagues and Murray in two, so I have both horses in this race and my opinion is unbiased. The Cowboys would have to be idiots to give Murray anything less than 70% of the carries with the way he's playing. Deep down Jones owners know this as well.

Felix Jones owners so desperately want him to retake his spot they will say anything to convince themselves that will happen. I own Jones in two leagues and Murray in two, so I have both horses in this race and my opinion is unbiased. The Cowboys would have to be idiots to give Murray anything less than 70% of the carries with the way he's playing. Deep down Jones owners know this as well.
I have both of them...sure part of me is worried they split more evenly or do that hot hand thing...but Im not seeing it.

A few thoughts from a long time Cowboy fan:

Murray is running with passion and energy. That's not something we've seen for a few years except from Barber. Felix hasnt shown that level of explosiveness and passion since his rookie season.

Don't underestimate the impact of FB Fiametta and LG Montrae Holland. Both began starting at the same time as Murray. Both have played extremely well and have been huge improvements over their replacements.

Also don't underestimate the schedule. Dallas played some very good run defenses early and some weak ones the last month.

Murray deserves to get the majority of the carries going forward. But to give him all the credit for the improved run game is to not be aware of what's really happened. A lot of things have fallen into place for this to happen.

A few thoughts from a long time Cowboy fan:Murray is running with passion and energy. That's not something we've seen for a few years except from Barber. Felix hasnt shown that level of explosiveness and passion since his rookie season.Don't underestimate the impact of FB Fiametta and LG Montrae Holland. Both began starting at the same time as Murray. Both have played extremely well and have been huge improvements over their replacements.Also don't underestimate the schedule. Dallas played some very good run defenses early and some weak ones the last month.Murray deserves to get the majority of the carries going forward. But to give him all the credit for the improved run game is to not be aware of what's really happened. A lot of things have fallen into place for this to happen.
This is great insight, thanks for this. Though wasn't Seattle supposed to be good against the run and just shut down Rice and the Ravens?I think they have something going here, and Murray is the biggest reason why.

The Cowboys are who they always were. They will do this just like they did with Julius Jones/Barber III, Felix Jones/Barber III, and now what will be a tandem of Felix Jones/ Murray. RBBC and ride the hot hand (If Murray owners are lucky that is) Jerry Jones gets his say it goes back to Felix when he returns.

Felix will surely get a chance to play an important role with the Cowboys when he returns. I don't think anyone is questioning that. At the same time, the Cowboys have the largest and most vocal fanbase in the NFL...and it won't take long of Felix getting 3ypc while Murray has been averaging 6+ for a month before he gets the majority of the carries. We all know that the Cowboys make some dumb decisions, but they aren't going to ruin a running game that is finally producing for the first time this season. 15 carries a game is plenty for Murray to remain a very good RB2. I think that most of us have him as a RB2 minimum, probably RB3. He should easily produce at that level.

Also, thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. You've been so ridiculously wrong about everything you've said regarding Murray, I am looking forward to seeing it continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cowboys have two areas in which Felix can contribute right away. Kick returns and 3rd down role. Felix was a great returner in his first year. And he did well as a 3rd down passing back. The Felix featured role experiment is over. Using Felix in these two situations will greatly improve their offense as a whole.

My my this thread looks and reads a lot like the foster/Tate thread in the preseason. Felix is the cowboys primary rb. One game against a team that has been gashed by everyone fueled the speculation flames but there is no reason to accept the results of one game against the worst defense the cowboys have faced versus accepting the five games previously. Murray has looked average against all the other opponents and sometimes games like this just happen, especially when a team is hit for a big play early. This is really no different than torry smith and Joe flacco lighting up the rams and looking like world beaters a few weeks ago. How did they look this past week? A good number of people are just trying to be like they were with Tate and making This more than it is. But in reality, Murray will look much more typical this week, even against a bad eagles run D and when Felix returns, maybe Murray separated himself from choice and gets the clear change of pace but he did not Suddenly push Felix out of the job or into a third down role.
three weeks a believer make?
Arian Foster is a proven every down back, Felix is not.

Anyone thinking Felix Jones get's 40% of the work is in La La land.

This is Murrays gig. Felix is nothing but a COP back and frankly that is all he has ever been when healthy which has not been often. Even when he is on the field he is battling something that is hurt.

Murray is a stud.

Honest question: Can someone explain to me how giving Jones substantial playing time would benefit the Cowboys more than having Murray as the primary back? :confused: It's not simply a case of Murray being a slightly better back, it's that Murray is VASTLY better than Jones. Don't take my word for it - look at the stats. It's not even close. Of all the coaching decisions to wrestle with, this really is not that difficult.

Honest question: Can someone explain to me how giving Jones substantial playing time would benefit the Cowboys more than having Murray as the primary back? :confused: It's not simply a case of Murray being a slightly better back, it's that Murray is VASTLY better than Jones. Don't take my word for it - look at the stats. It's not even close. Of all the coaching decisions to wrestle with, this really is not that difficult.
agreed, nothing to worry about if you are a murray owner.

agreed, nothing to worry about if you are a murray owner.
Where is switz? He is about the only one left on this planet who thinks Felix should be inducted to the HOF, let alone be the bellcow in Dallas.

When Felix is healthy again I think he definitely will eat into Murray's carries. I would suspect 10-12 carries for Jones we a few receptions a game going his way. I would expect to see Murray as the goaline back.

If you've been paying attention, you'd see that Murray is running like a workhorse. He just seems to have "it".

Felix is an explosive player, but he is not an every down back. He'll get his touches.

As a fan, I'm excited for Felix to get back and assume his role as a compliment to Murray.

Murray showed very little when he was given a small role at the beginning of the season. Once he got the workload, he's taken off. I don't know how much of it's the fact that he's learned the system/NFL throughout these last few weeks, but I believe he's probably one of those RBs that just get better the more work they get. Felix showed flashes when he had a limited role and was fresh for every carry. I see Murray getting the workload and Felix spelling him for a great running game in Dallas and Felix being a non-factor in Fantasy.

With Murray and the Cowboys offense firing on all cylinders, there is no way that DeMarco takes a back seat or even a 50/50 split with Jones going forward. Jones has had many opportunities and never come close to accomplishing what Murray has in this offense in a mere span of four games.

Rookie Murray's emergence has transformed Cowboys

Murray's breakout began with a franchise-record 253 yards against St. Louis. He's proven that he was no fluke by gaining 74 yards on just eight carries against Philadelphia, then racking up 139 yards against Seattle and 135 yards this past Sunday against Buffalo.

Consider this: he has three 100-yard games in the past month, while predecessor Jones has two in his 41-game career. NFL rushing king Emmitt Smith also had three 100-yard games as a rookie, but that was over 16 games; he never had two in a row.

And this: Murray's 601 yards rushing over a four-game span is 51 yards better than Smith ever had over a similar stretch. His outburst has lifted Dallas from near the bottom of the NFL in rushing to ninth-best. He's up to No. 11 in the league despite having had only 14 carries the first four games.

"He is and should be inspirational," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "I haven't seen enough of DeMarco. I'd like to see five more years - at least."
Outside of an injury there is no way that Murray's role gets reduced. Three of the Cowboys five wins have come with Murray opening up the offense for Romo and Co., and they have gone from a SD Chargers level of underacheiving, with Felix as the main RB, to a legit NFC East contender. Does anyone honestly believe they would have accomplished the same with Felix?

As someone who has to decide between Fred Jackson (9th rounder) or Demarco Murray (17th rounder) in a one year keeper league, I am really interested to see how Murray runs when Felix is around. Best case, Felix is just a third down guy/change of pace and Murray continues his excellent pace. Worst case, they screw everything up in a RBBC.

I'm going to hold Felix for a little while because of the fear, but my gut says that Murray is the guy from this point on.

As someone who has to decide between Fred Jackson (9th rounder) or Demarco Murray (17th rounder) in a one year keeper league, I am really interested to see how Murray runs when Felix is around. Best case, Felix is just a third down guy/change of pace and Murray continues his excellent pace. Worst case, they screw everything up in a RBBC.I'm going to hold Felix for a little while because of the fear, but my gut says that Murray is the guy from this point on.
Considering Fred Jackson turns 31 in the offseason, you may want to pursue other options (although at a 9th round price tag, your risk is significantly mitigated). I suspect Murray will be your keeper when all is said and done, but of course any number of things could happen over the rest of the season to change that. Sounds like you are taking the wisest course of action here.

As someone who has to decide between Fred Jackson (9th rounder) or Demarco Murray (17th rounder) in a one year keeper league, I am really interested to see how Murray runs when Felix is around. Best case, Felix is just a third down guy/change of pace and Murray continues his excellent pace. Worst case, they screw everything up in a RBBC.I'm going to hold Felix for a little while because of the fear, but my gut says that Murray is the guy from this point on.
Considering Fred Jackson turns 31 in the offseason, you may want to pursue other options (although at a 9th round price tag, your risk is significantly mitigated). I suspect Murray will be your keeper when all is said and done, but of course any number of things could happen over the rest of the season to change that. Sounds like you are taking the wisest course of action here.
I agree that Murray will probably be the choice. My league only allows keepers for one season though, so while age is certainly an issue with Jackson, it isn't as pronounced as other leagues. McCoy will be my other keeper, but he'll cost me a 1st.

Maybe the Cowboys aren't idiots afterall.

"Owner Jerry Jones confirmed that DeMarco Murray will remain a "workhorse" even though Felix Jones (ankle) is expected back Sunday.

It's a no-brainer. Over the last four games, Murray has averaged 150.2 rushing yards per game while breaking off 8.01 yards per carry. "One thing that comes to my mind is that Murray looks like the more he carries, the more effective he gets," Jerry Jones said. The owner went on to hint that Felix could "step in" 12 or 13 times per game, but we'd be surprised if he got that much work. Murray is locked in as the feature back."

I agree that Murray will probably be the choice. My league only allows keepers for one season though, so while age is certainly an issue with Jackson, it isn't as pronounced as other leagues. McCoy will be my other keeper, but he'll cost me a 1st.
Don't get me wrong I realize the need for this conversation as we all know how stupid and stubborn Jerry Jones is... but DeMarco Murray is a stud... if the coaches do not use him the way they have after how well the team has been playing they won't last long in this league...when you have "Great RB's in History" talking about how this guy has "it" that usually means something... Felix Jones has never been able to handle any kind of workload... he is a change of pace back and and a great returner.... and Jason Garret being the guy he is I just can't see him going back to anything that was not working before

Maybe the Cowboys aren't idiots afterall."Owner Jerry Jones confirmed that DeMarco Murray will remain a "workhorse" even though Felix Jones (ankle) is expected back Sunday.It's a no-brainer. Over the last four games, Murray has averaged 150.2 rushing yards per game while breaking off 8.01 yards per carry. "One thing that comes to my mind is that Murray looks like the more he carries, the more effective he gets," Jerry Jones said. The owner went on to hint that Felix could "step in" 12 or 13 times per game, but we'd be surprised if he got that much work. Murray is locked in as the feature back."
$$$$$$$$$ :excited: :excited:

Assuming a couple of weeks for him to be fully healthy, what do you guys think the reduced role for Jones looks like? 10 carries and a couple receptions too much? I might end up acquiring him as part of a deal and am intrigued by him always looking better in a limited capacity historically. Thinking he could have good value as a flex play going forward and could be had cheaply, especially once his owner sees a definitive backup role, with the upside of an increased role should Murray come back to earth (which for the record, I don't expect, and I admit I was wrong on his ability).

YES IT'S FINALLY TIME TO DROP FELIX JONES.

Because even if Murray gets hurt, Felix will continue to be ineffective or just get hurt again as the backup.

Thanks, you third round pick

YES IT'S FINALLY TIME TO DROP FELIX JONES.Because even if Murray gets hurt, Felix will continue to be ineffective or just get hurt again as the backup.Thanks, you third round pick
Personally, I will be keeping Felix, if only as a handcuff. He has put up decent ppr numbers when healthy this season. Certainly not at the level I hoped when drafting him, but i still think he is worth the spot over waiver wire fodder. Then again, I start three running backs and only have Daniel Thomas behind my three studs of McCoy, FJax, and Murray

YES IT'S FINALLY TIME TO DROP FELIX JONES.Because even if Murray gets hurt, Felix will continue to be ineffective or just get hurt again as the backup.Thanks, you third round pick
Personally, I will be keeping Felix, if only as a handcuff. He has put up decent ppr numbers when healthy this season. Certainly not at the level I hoped when drafting him, but i still think he is worth the spot over waiver wire fodder. Then again, I start three running backs and only have Daniel Thomas behind my three studs of McCoy, FJax, and Murray
Yup, at this point getting past this last bye week...should be good to go to keep him put on my bench to handcuff Murray.

I had a feeling about Murray in the beginning of the season and got him off waivers. Had to drop him to make roster space even tho I didn't want to. Then picked him back up right before Felix went down. Almost traded him away for CJ. I think this guys legit. Maybe even a keeper. Lets hope felix's charity runs don't mess things up.

Users who are viewing this thread