What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Manager (1 Viewer)

OK, inspired by you guys I am taking on the closest team to where I grew up:

IS Halmia - Swedish Second Div South Gotaland

I have actually seen them play, a long time ago, and they are one of the "little brothers" to the main club in town that my grand father cheered for his entire life, Halmstad BK.

One thing they have going for them is the stadium. They play in the same spot as the bigger club, so the capacity is 15,500.

Transfer budget: $7.84k

Payroll budget: $5.27k

Semi-professional.

Love the intro quote: "Although they have never won a competition, the club are enjoying probably their best spell of success in decades."

I hate to admit it, but crosses really are too powerful in this year's edition. My target man has 12 goals in 11 games. There's 7 TEAMS that don't have that many. The second-leading scorer in the league has 6.I was expecting to have to claw my way to the top-half finish the board wanted and now I'm in 2nd place, promotion position.

I find it brilliant there is this thread on FBG! I haven't played in a long, long time, but back around 99/00, 00/01 I used to aim for a season in a day, even when in school! Back then it was of course Championship Manager, or Champ Man colloquially.

I find it brilliant there is this thread on FBG! I haven't played in a long, long time, but back around 99/00, 00/01 I used to aim for a season in a day, even when in school! Back then it was of course Championship Manager, or Champ Man colloquially.
I began playing long ago as "Worldwide Soccer Manager". I still have the 2009 version of that loaded in my Steam library.

'shepsii said:

'charvik said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Halfway through my first season:1st place by 5pts, +15 with 7 Goals against in 11 games. Pretty decent.One troubling thing is finances. I'm projected to be 177k in the hole after the season, which is horrid considering the lack of money, but still an improvement, since I started season 1 300k down.

'charvik said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Halfway through my first season:1st place by 5pts, +15 with 7 Goals against in 11 games. Pretty decent.One troubling thing is finances. I'm projected to be 177k in the hole after the season, which is horrid considering the lack of money, but still an improvement, since I started season 1 300k down.
Could be worse. I'm projected to be 470k down and the board wants me to sell players.Through 15 games I'm in 2nd, 29-12 on goals. 3 points back of first with a game in hand, 7 ahead of 2nd but they have a game in hand on me.

I'm sitting in 2nd right now in my second year in League 1, 65 points on 31 games with +38 Goal Differential. Brighton is playing like Barcelona and have only dropped 23 points in 30 games.

WHat are your guy's plans for starting with these really low teams in regards to getting job offers? Are we trying to see out the current team and see how high we can them, or jump to other offers if they come in? Just looking for ideas and thoughts

WHat are your guy's plans for starting with these really low teams in regards to getting job offers? Are we trying to see out the current team and see how high we can them, or jump to other offers if they come in? Just looking for ideas and thoughts
I'm sticking with Staines until I get them to the Premiership, so I can get the English Hero accomplishment. Only took the USA job because I could do it simultaneously.

Lusitania Açores

2012-13

Value £400K

Media Prediction 6th

Taça de Portugal -

Out, first round - Faranse 4-4 (6-5)

League Second Division Central-

Currently in 3rd place(5-3-2 +6), but the first place team is well ahead of the rest of the league. Only the first place teams win promotion, so yeah, there's that.

I do have a solid AMC who is second in the league in assist with 5 the ten games. Solid CF with 5 goals and a decent defense.

This team was tough o find a tactic for. Literally have 6 guys rated 4.5 stars or better who play somewhere across the front 3 or AML-R-C...then my defense averages 2 stars.

Looks like I'm going to miss out on promotion for the first year, but hope to finish 2nd or 3rd. Board wants me in the top half, so we'll see how they respond.

My mindset is that I'm going to take GKS Katowice to the top of Europe. No idea how realistic that is. If my progress stalls to the point that it stops being fun, I'll consider other jobs, but for now I'm focused on this one.I do have a lot of other countries loaded because it's good for generating regens, so I will have options.

I do have a lot of other countries loaded because it's good for generating regens, so I will have options.
Gtfo, this helps?
Yep. Playable countries are simulated closer, so they generate more regens, and you get more offers from those teams when selling players.If you didn't know, you can add and remove countries after you start. They added that for FM12.

switched over to my Liverpool save..couldn't help it leading up to the United game tomorrow. Control my own destiny in my CL group, amazing. Lost at JuveDraw home to Real MadridWon at CelticWon at CelticWon home to Juve (2-1)Our group is the only one without a team guaranteed to go through after 5 games. RM has drawn 3 times. HUGEJuve lost and drew with RM. HUGENow I park 2 busses in fron of goal away to RM next week. Win and i'm though as the #1Draw and Juve loss and I'm in #1, RM as the #2Draw and Juve win and Juve are through as the #1 and I'm through as #2Lose and Juve lose and RM are through as the #1 and I'm through as the #2:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking Staines to the Prem and at least European qualification. I never quite could win the Prem with Cockfosters in FM11, but did win 2 CL titles. Three main issue was lack of funds for transfers and salary due to low gate receipts. Staines seems to be on a better track in that regard as I'm already selling out my new stadium for big games. They'll have to expand pity for the 2nd time if I get up to the Prem.

'The Z Machine said:
I'm taking Staines to the Prem and at least European qualification. I never quite could win the Prem with Cockfosters in FM11, but did win 2 CL titles. Three main issue was lack of funds for transfers and salary due to low gate receipts. Staines seems to be on a better track in that regard as I'm already selling out my new stadium for big games. They'll have to expand pity for the 2nd time if I get up to the Prem.
Already on my second expansion, and we're still in League 2. I had to play at Stamford Bridge the first time we expanded. :X

I hate to admit it, but crosses really are too powerful in this year's edition. My target man has 12 goals in 11 games. There's 7 TEAMS that don't have that many. The second-leading scorer in the league has 6.I was expecting to have to claw my way to the top-half finish the board wanted and now I'm in 2nd place, promotion position.
This is how you jinx a guy. He hasn't scored in 6 games since I posted this.The team hasn't suffered though - in first place now and on a 13-match unbeaten run.

'The Z Machine said:
Already on my second expansion, and we're still in League 2. I had to play at Stamford Bridge the first time we expanded. :X
I moved to a brand new stadium after my first year and they expanded that inner once already.

2017 - 2018 Staines Recap

Division: League 1

Place: 2nd (Promotion to Championship)

Record: 26-15-5, 93 points (Brighton finished with 96)

Goals: 84-35, +49

Leading Scorer: Matt Smith, 23

Assists: Tim Penfold, Dario Barisic, Frankie Sutherland: 10 each

Average Rating: Kristijan Matika, 7.66

Franchise Value: £2.87m

Notes: Stadium will expand by 3443 to comply with Championship minimum. Staines will play at Brisbane Rd. Stadium (home of Leyton Orient) in 2018-2019.

Has anyone read this book?http://www.amazon.com/Football-Manager-Stole-My-Life/dp/0956497179/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1358130569&sr=8-12&keywords=football+manager+2013I'm a little curious, but not sure if I want to take time away reading when I could be playing :bag:

'charvik said:
Has anyone read this book?http://www.amazon.com/Football-Manager-Stole-My-Life/dp/0956497179/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1358130569&sr=8-12&keywords=football+manager+2013I'm a little curious, but not sure if I want to take time away reading when I could be playing :bag:
I read some excerpts from it that were available online somewhere. They looked mildly interesting, but not enough to buy the book. Like you said, it would take away from game time.

With Liverpool in 2014 i just got Mamadou Sakho on a free transfer :shock:ETAAfter surviving the group of death I got an easy first knockout round opponent in Schalke 04. Destroyed them and decided to watch the draw for the nest round(never done this)TottenhamPortoPSGReal madridLiverpoolBayernBarcaCSKA Moscowgot pitted up against Barca :bye:eta2-good news, I avoided RM, bayern and PSG in the next round draw....

My div 2 team just knocked out Goteborg, a top division team, from the Swedish Cup. I played super defensively and managed to eek out a counter goal on my only chance in the game in the 89th minute. :excited:

GKS Katowice

2012-13 winter break update

Polish First Division

Record: 12-5-2 (1st out of 18)

Goals: 35 for, 15 against

Polska Puchar

Lost in first round 3-1 to Unia Tarnow (I was like a 20-1 favorite :rant: )

Leaders

Goals: ST Przemyslaw Pitry 13, ST Deniss Rakels 5

Assists: MR Grzegorz Goncerz 8

Rating: Pitry 7.44, Goncerz 7.26, ML Marcin Pietron 7.16

Tactics

Playing a basic 442 with a target man (Pitry), an advanced forward (Rakels) and attacking wingers (Goncerz and Pietron). Central midfield is very defensive-minded - sometimes 2 DM, sometimes 2 CM depending on who's fit. Basically just keep everything tight at the back and kick the ball towards Pitry.

Finances

Bad. Projected to be 479K in the red at the end of the year. Board did just inject 180K to keep us afloat for now, but I'm still pretty concerned.

Good lord being broke sucks.Get to December 30 and I start searching for guys whose contracts expire in 6 months since I'll have lots of wages coming off the books. Scout a whole bunch of them, make 2 contract offers, push continue...Then January hits and the amount I can offer is so low I essentially can't sign anyone. The board still wants me to sell players, but of course no one wants my guys.ETA: Both my contract offers were accepted. One was no big deal, a 3.5* CM, but the other was a 20-year old CB with 4.5* CA and 5* PA :thumbup: Now if the board would just let me make a few more like that...

Good lord being broke sucks.Get to December 30 and I start searching for guys whose contracts expire in 6 months since I'll have lots of wages coming off the books. Scout a whole bunch of them, make 2 contract offers, push continue...Then January hits and the amount I can offer is so low I essentially can't sign anyone. The board still wants me to sell players, but of course no one wants my guys.ETA: Both my contract offers were accepted. One was no big deal, a 3.5* CM, but the other was a 20-year old CB with 4.5* CA and 5* PA :thumbup: Now if the board would just let me make a few more like that...
yeah, I will be struggling to find players for my next season. Most players only sign 1 year contracts, part time, and board won't give me my new financials until December... I am guessing I am going to have to try and pick up the max amount of loaners for next season.ETA: My best avg rating MF was on a $10/wk contract, and is now asking for $50/wk, which I don't have... :mellow: he's going to become too upset and leave before the board releases my funds.

yeah, I will be struggling to find players for my next season. Most players only sign 1 year contracts, part time, and board won't give me my new financials until December... I am guessing I am going to have to try and pick up the max amount of loaners for next season.ETA: My best avg rating MF was on a $10/wk contract, and is now asking for $50/wk, which I don't have... :mellow: he's going to become too upset and leave before the board releases my funds.
Now I feel rich by comparison. Fully professional and my best player just re-signed for £750/wk.

Just picked up the new release this weekend and due to reading some of your guys struggles with low level leagues I decided to get in on the fun as well. Have only gone as low as the Championship to start a team before, so thought I would drop down a few levels and try my hand. So, being not as brave as some of you I decided to stay in the English leagues and dropped down to the Blue Square Bet Premier League and signed on with Luton Town. I picked them primarily because they should be a League 2 team and was concerned about how I was gonna handle the finance part of the lower leagues. (I see you guys are really dealing with that right now)They were picked by the media to finish 1st, however my top 2 players were injured for more than half the season right from first load so it could be a tougher task than originally thought. While not as poorly off as some of you, my transfer budget is only £20k and I have a weekly payroll budget of £21k(19k already in use).First thing I did was get rid of two dead weight coaches that were 1 1/2 stars at their best training spot(mutual terminations that cost me £10k total) and replaced them with two similarly priced coaches that were 3 stars at their best training spots. I have to say the coaching is a much different dynamic at the lower levels. Even in the championship you could get enough specialization and enough coaches to achieve 3 1/2 to 4 stars at every training attribute. With Luton Town I have 5 total coaches(1 Assistant Coach, 2 position coaches, 1 goalie coach, and 1 U18 coach). There's also a director of football, but he doesn't do anything but inform me of how little we have to work with so I don't really count him. So, even with the two new coaches, I don't have a training category higher than 2 1/2 and most of them are in the 1 1/2 to 2 range. Obviously developing my own talent isn't a very good probability at this level.So, the team needs a lot of help. Was able to bring in 2 solid free transfers and 1 good loaner that should help immensely(all 3 star players or better), but am looking really weak at goalie and attack with no decent options available at my price point(Was able to get a 3 1/2 star goalie transfer offer accepted but he won't agree to play my max salary). I installed a 4-2-4 in a very similar tactic that I used in previous version of FM, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to handle it or not. I have hope that they will as my two best players(not including the hurt players) are the two fullbacks who have high work rates and stamina and should be able to handle the amount of running that is required in that formation for the backs.Played 5 games so far and it's going to be tough to score. 2-2-1 so far, but have only scored 6 goals in 5 games. Getting a lot of chances(4-5 solid chances every game) just don't have the guys to finish. Also, lost my best attacking player (AMR) for 4 months to injury in the 3rd game so now my weak attack looks even worse. Scouring the loan market right now looking for any help, but it could be a tough one.

Just picked up the new release this weekend and due to reading some of your guys struggles with low level leagues I decided to get in on the fun as well. Have only gone as low as the Championship to start a team before, so thought I would drop down a few levels and try my hand. So, being not as brave as some of you I decided to stay in the English leagues and dropped down to the Blue Square Bet Premier League and signed on with Luton Town. I picked them primarily because they should be a League 2 team and was concerned about how I was gonna handle the finance part of the lower leagues. (I see you guys are really dealing with that right now)They were picked by the media to finish 1st, however my top 2 players were injured for more than half the season right from first load so it could be a tougher task than originally thought. While not as poorly off as some of you, my transfer budget is only £20k and I have a weekly payroll budget of £21k(19k already in use).First thing I did was get rid of two dead weight coaches that were 1 1/2 stars at their best training spot(mutual terminations that cost me £10k total) and replaced them with two similarly priced coaches that were 3 stars at their best training spots. I have to say the coaching is a much different dynamic at the lower levels. Even in the championship you could get enough specialization and enough coaches to achieve 3 1/2 to 4 stars at every training attribute. With Luton Town I have 5 total coaches(1 Assistant Coach, 2 position coaches, 1 goalie coach, and 1 U18 coach). There's also a director of football, but he doesn't do anything but inform me of how little we have to work with so I don't really count him. So, even with the two new coaches, I don't have a training category higher than 2 1/2 and most of them are in the 1 1/2 to 2 range. Obviously developing my own talent isn't a very good probability at this level.So, the team needs a lot of help. Was able to bring in 2 solid free transfers and 1 good loaner that should help immensely(all 3 star players or better), but am looking really weak at goalie and attack with no decent options available at my price point(Was able to get a 3 1/2 star goalie transfer offer accepted but he won't agree to play my max salary). I installed a 4-2-4 in a very similar tactic that I used in previous version of FM, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to handle it or not. I have hope that they will as my two best players(not including the hurt players) are the two fullbacks who have high work rates and stamina and should be able to handle the amount of running that is required in that formation for the backs.Played 5 games so far and it's going to be tough to score. 2-2-1 so far, but have only scored 6 goals in 5 games. Getting a lot of chances(4-5 solid chances every game) just don't have the guys to finish. Also, lost my best attacking player (AMR) for 4 months to injury in the 3rd game so now my weak attack looks even worse. Scouring the loan market right now looking for any help, but it could be a tough one.
Very nice write up and good luck. :thumbup: I can't get on a roll with my small side...Overbudget, not going to get promoted...we'll see

It's nice to have a support group going for lower leagues. Keep the updates coming. :thumbup:

I can't get on a roll with my small side...Overbudget, not going to get promoted...we'll see
Not getting promoted might not be the worst thing in the world. The second year you should have more flexibility to bring in your own players while keeping salaries down.At least that's what I'm telling myself as I keep getting draws.

This is the first season where I'm even close to my wage budget. Usually, I'm at like 60-75% of it, but I'm closer to 90% now. The jump from League 1 to Championship seems daunting. It might take a few years to get promotion to the bigs. Also, I've had at least 4 attempts at takeovers of the team, but none have succeeded. I don't see how they could sack me anyway, since I've brought Staines from the depths to heights never even dreamed of.My team is very mutli-national, including 4 English, 3 Spaniards, 3 Portuguese, 3 French, 3 Croatian, 1 N. Irish, 1 Welsh, 1 Irish, and a player from Iceland. Lots of languages on the training pitch. My assistant is an Italian. The only hole on my team right now is a MR, and I don't only one of my tactics uses an ML and MR.In general, I don't buy players, I look for young ones with potential that are available on a free. My team is almost always the youngest and most ambitious in the league. That means they are prone to making mistakes and getting blown out at times. I usually hold them back by asking them to draw and playing defensive, even with defensive tactics employed (4-1-2-1-2 with 2 MCs and no wide players).

This is the first season where I'm even close to my wage budget. Usually, I'm at like 60-75% of it, but I'm closer to 90% now. The jump from League 1 to Championship seems daunting. It might take a few years to get promotion to the bigs. Also, I've had at least 4 attempts at takeovers of the team, but none have succeeded. I don't see how they could sack me anyway, since I've brought Staines from the depths to heights never even dreamed of.

My team is very mutli-national, including 4 English, 3 Spaniards, 3 Portuguese, 3 French, 3 Croatian, 1 N. Irish, 1 Welsh, 1 Irish, and a player from Iceland. Lots of languages on the training pitch. My assistant is an Italian. The only hole on my team right now is a MR, and I don't only one of my tactics uses an ML and MR.

In general, I don't buy players, I look for young ones with potential that are available on a free. My team is almost always the youngest and most ambitious in the league. That means they are prone to making mistakes and getting blown out at times. I usually hold them back by asking them to draw and playing defensive, even with defensive tactics employed (4-1-2-1-2 with 2 MCs and no wide players).
Wow, I don't know how you did that. I'm at 90%+ of my wage budget in my first season with Luton and I'm not even into January yet. I'll have maybe enough money to add 1 good player or 2 ok players at the transfer window if needed, but I'm in big trouble if the injury bug hits my team.

Users who are viewing this thread