What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Manager (1 Viewer)

Went ahead and bought this. If it's half as much fun as it sounds, I think I'm gonna love it.

I'm interested in the EPL thing too. Depending on what teams others pick and how quickly I get the hang of this, I'd want either Arsenal or Aston Villa.

So far this is what I have for the FM EPM FFA League:

Z Machine - Newcastle

Gator - Liverpool

Spartans - Arsenal (or Aston Villa)

Senor Schmutzig - Everton

njherdfan - Sunderland

jonessed - Tottenham

Most of the big name teams aren't taken. That's a good thing IMO. If we can get this to 10 players, that might be very nice.

I'll take the Villans if Brady wants Liverpool. I can try a new team out since I'm running Liverpool in my current sim.

Daniel Kofi Agyei, DM/M, £5
I'll work up my Liverpool story later on when I get home, but I had to say I found this funny, as I signed this guy as well. He's becoming a force in the midfield, and belted in one from 30 yards out for his first goal in my last match.

So... anyone interested in putting together an FBG EPL FM league?I'll play Newcastle BTW.
in
In, even though I don't get very in-depth with my training yet.I'm guessing Liverpool is accounted for. :X
I'll take someone else as long as you send me Meireles :banned:
:kicksrock:
I would be in, but would want Liverpool as well. The only thing I can think of (this is the commish coming out of me) is to use a random number generator to determine a "draft" order, and then have people pick teams from there.

SmoovySmoov said:
I would be in, but would want Liverpool as well. The only thing I can think of (this is the commish coming out of me) is to use a random number generator to determine a "draft" order, and then have people pick teams from there.
I like it. Probably the best way to do it.

SmoovySmoov said:
How about the people that want a team that no one else wants, gets that team. The rest have to draft? I don't think it's fair for the people that are intentionally taking "lower" more balanced teams to have to compete with the posers that want ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea, et al.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmoovySmoov said:
How about the people that want a team that no one else wants, gets that team. The rest have to draft? I don't think it's fair for the people that are intentionally taking "lower" teams to have to compete with the posers that want ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea, et al.
Now I REALLY want Liverpool just so I can beat you and Everton.... :shock:

AcerFC said:
Is the iphone version like the PC version at all?
It's VERY stripped down.I might be persuaded to get in on this, but I can really only play at home on my old junky school laptop. I'm not even sure what version I have (I've bought two updates) This isn't FM online, right?

SmoovySmoov said:
How about the people that want a team that no one else wants, gets that team. The rest have to draft? I don't think it's fair for the people that are intentionally taking "lower" more balanced teams to have to compete with the posers that want ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea, et al.
That's how real life is though. Everton doesn't have the resources of 'pool, but they can still whoop them the same.

SmoovySmoov said:
That's how real life is though. Everton doesn't have the resources of 'pool, but they can still whoop them the same.
Exactly. So if there are teams that multiple people want, they will draft, the rest get the teams they request.

AcerFC said:
Is the iphone version like the PC version at all?
It's VERY stripped down.I might be persuaded to get in on this, but I can really only play at home on my old junky school laptop. I'm not even sure what version I have (I've bought two updates) This isn't FM online, right?
No, this would be a regular FM "Network Game". Since I'm new to this, I'm reading up on how to do it. Ideally, the game would be saved and run "in the cloud" so to speak, and then everyone would log into that server to play. I'm not sure how things go for simultaneous game play though. It could be awesome, or it could really suck.

Spartans Rule said:
Can't get the game to work on my computer. :shrug:
OS Version? Hardware?You playing WSM or FM?
FM. Using a netbook - I never play PC games and kinda forgot that this thing wouldn't be able to handle them.I meet all the processor/memory requirements, but not even close on the graphics. When I try to run the game (using Steam), it says it's starting but then nothing happens. Try to start it again and it says it's already running.Pretty sure I'm SOL.

Spartans Rule said:
FM. Using a netbook - I never play PC games and kinda forgot that this thing wouldn't be able to handle them.I meet all the processor/memory requirements, but not even close on the graphics. When I try to run the game (using Steam), it says it's starting but then nothing happens. Try to start it again and it says it's already running.Pretty sure I'm SOL.
Same here... I had to make sure all of my software was up to date, then it worked

Spartans Rule said:
Same here... I had to make sure all of my software was up to date, then it worked
Hmmm. Maybe there's hope. What all did you update?

Spartans Rule said:
Can't get the game to work on my computer. :mellow:
Hmmm. Maybe there's hope. What all did you update?
everything that needed updating since I wasn't sure what was causing it.

Also just discovered Steam purchases are tied to your account and not your computer. I have another machine that could probably run the game.

I'll figure this out one way or the other. Keep me in for the EPL league.

How much time, realistically, would I need to put in during a given week to keep up and perhaps do reasonably well in this online league? Be honest.

How much time, realistically, would I need to put in during a given week to keep up and perhaps do reasonably well in this online league? Be honest.
I have no idea. I know that I play an ungodly amount of this game as it is, probably upwards of 20 hours per week. It takes me about 2-3 weeks to do a full season. So that's 60 hours for a season. If we were each to put in 5 hours per week, and the playing time was the same, it would be a 12 weeks for a full year in the game.

Hippling...........

1) I'm cool with having a separate "draft" for those wanting the same teams. I would just start the season pissed off if I didn't have a chance to get my favorite team.

2) Yes, it's tied to your account, not your computer, so you can play it wherever. I just got back from a work trip, and had put Steam on my work laptop before I left. You will have to log in to Steam on the different computer and download the game files to that computer, but then you can play your same season on the both computers. I just move the save file back and forth via flash drive.

3) We're talking Football Manager 2011 on PC, for those who asked.

4) Anyone have a server they can put it on?

5) I'm SmoovySmoov on Steam, as well.

ETA - And Mac.

I just downloaded the demo a couple of hours ago. This is pretty cool. I know next to nothing about soccer but I enjoyed it. I could get into this.

I can't do the online league unfortunately, as I won't have the time to dedicate on a consistent basis...

Ok, here is what I've worked up to in my short time with the updated software:

Liverpool

£35mil starting transfer budget

IN

Alex Chamberlain, M/AM, £2.1

Daniel Kofi Agyei, DM/M, £5

Vaclav Kadlec, ST/AM, £2

Zeli ismail, ST, £2.2

Yaisien Abdallah, AM/M, £3.6

OUT

Dani Pacheco, loan

Gerado Bruna, loan

Milan Jovanovich, loan/sale

Jay Spearing, loan

Wisdom, loan

£21mil remaining transfer budget

Current formation: 4-1-3-2

Starting XI:

GK: Reina

DL: Agger

DCL: Skrtel

DCR: Carragher

DR: Johnson

CDM: Agyei

CM: Meireles

AML: Cole

AMR: Gerrard

ST: Suarez

ST: Carroll

-------------

Bench:

Kelly

Aurelio

Maxi

Shelvey

Kuyt

Wilson

Irwin

Ngog

Kadlec

Lucas

Poulson

Competitions:

EURO Cup - Group stage, group G leader

League Cup - Fourth Round

Premier League - 8th 3-3-2

Leaders:

Goals: Suarez 8

Assists: Meireles 9

What kind of tactics do you guys use? Do you create your own, or go on FM forums and use some of theirs, or both?

An advice on getting some sort of consistency on the squad?

Beat Chelsea 2-1...dominated Stoke 4-0..drew with Wolves(1-1) and lost 5-2 against Sunderland.

I'm almost always winnings possession, even in losses(honestly not sure about the Sunderland game)

I don't tinker with tactics too much from game to game. Against Stoke and Wolves I was set to 'Attacking'. Chelsea and Sunderland 'Control'.

I'll hang up and listen.

An advice on getting some sort of consistency on the squad? Beat Chelsea 2-1...dominated Stoke 4-0..drew with Wolves(1-1) and lost 5-2 against Sunderland.I'm almost always winnings possession, even in losses(honestly not sure about the Sunderland game)I don't tinker with tactics too much from game to game. Against Stoke and Wolves I was set to 'Attacking'. Chelsea and Sunderland 'Control'.I'll hang up and listen.
Home and away matters. As does the quality of the side. If you go into even an average EPL team's home stadium playing an attacking, pressing style you'll get killed on the counter. That's the way the game works. I'm a tactical idiot, but you should generally attack against greatly lesser teams or slightly lesser teams that you play at home. You can also probably afford to play more long/direct against them.Against good teams, you should play somewhat defensively. With short passing and slow tempo to keep possession. Make sure you've designated how you want to handle corners and who should take deadballs. That's worth like a goal every two to three games.

:thumbup:

Even when I'm not attacking I'm still on direct passing...i think. That's one I'll look into for sure. Maybe I'll tone it down to normal or counter more often. Now I just go between attacking, control and once in a while (ManC,Chels, ManU) I go normal.

The other thing to do is to actually look at the other team and try to note how they're set up. How deep is the backline playing? Are they trying to attack down the middle or from the flanks? Do they seem to be pressing a single player?

Now I've probably screwed it up as much as I've helped myself, but I do know that at least looking at the backline has helped me in the past. If they're creeping up, I play direct and try to get a fast guy in there. If they want to sit back, I play to feet and let my midfielders take their time with short passes.

You don't want to make wholesale changes in formation that often, but you do want to either clog up the space the computer wants to use or make use of the space the computer is leaving (and again, that's an attacking/defending decision depending on context).

I'm not going to tell you fools how I set my tactics if I'm about to jump into a league with y'all...
OH COME ON
LOLScooby's on the the right track here. Home/Away and opposition playing style are the biggest factors in getting your team successful. Furthermore, success breed success as the players Morale is very important as well.Typically, I like to look at how other teams line up initially, and what type of system they run (counter, attack up the sides, attack through the middle) and figure out who the player I most fear on their team. Teams like Barça or Chelsea are a real bear because they have talent all over the pitch and can impose their will on the game.I like to play a counter-attacking style that blends the creativity by a small, quick ST with the backbone of a strong DM (or MC playing defensively) and a roaming AMC. Whether that's a 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-2-3-1 or something else I leave to whether I have better attacking MF wingers or better DL/DR that can cross the ball.Better?

I'm not going to tell you fools how I set my tactics if I'm about to jump into a league with y'all...
OH COME ON
LOLScooby's on the the right track here. Home/Away and opposition playing style are the biggest factors in getting your team successful. Furthermore, success breed success as the players Morale is very important as well.Typically, I like to look at how other teams line up initially, and what type of system they run (counter, attack up the sides, attack through the middle) and figure out who the player I most fear on their team. Teams like Barça or Chelsea are a real bear because they have talent all over the pitch and can impose their will on the game.I like to play a counter-attacking style that blends the creativity by a small, quick ST with the backbone of a strong DM (or MC playing defensively) and a roaming AMC. Whether that's a 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-2-3-1 or something else I leave to whether I have better attacking MF wingers or better DL/DR that can cross the ball.Better?
Oh you are sooooo going down now :thumbup:Thanks :thumbup:

I think I would be in for an online FBG league. I just have no idea how it would work yet.

Someone PM me with details if possible/time allows.

Thanks!

I'm going to set up a test game to see how the system works. This won't be the real thing, but only a simulation to work out the connection kinks.

Any volunteers?

Users who are viewing this thread