What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Manager (1 Viewer)

Any player that has EU or African citizenship is "free". Players from the Americas (and Asia) are SOL and count against the cap. It's especially bad for US players that require a 10 year residency to gain nationality. That's one of the reasons that Jozy never broke into Villarreal, since he would count against the cap if he were registered for the season.

ok, in Spain what's with this foreigner thing? You can only have three on the team at once; but who qualifies as one? Marcelo is foreign, but isn't listed as counting against the number.
Any EU player counts as a domestic player. I believe Marcelo's a naturalized Spanish citizen.
So this is where the 'days to gain nationality' comes in? Neymar has 173 days left and then he wont count as a foreigner?
Yep... although how far in are you? Neymar being that close already surprises me. I thought it took like 3-5 years.
Feb 2012(still playing FM11)So he's been here for a year and a half.

Smoov's Idea for 2013 / "Can you already do this?":

I like to always have my guys training in new positions, so that hopefully, they can become more well-rounded and startable in more places. What I don't like is that every few months or so, I have to manually go in and go one by one down my lineup to see if any of them have mastered their new positions yet. Is there a setting somewhere in 2012 where I can be notified every time one of my players learns a new position? That would be really helpful.

Smoov's Idea for 2013 / "Can you already do this?":I like to always have my guys training in new positions, so that hopefully, they can become more well-rounded and startable in more places. What I don't like is that every few months or so, I have to manually go in and go one by one down my lineup to see if any of them have mastered their new positions yet. Is there a setting somewhere in 2012 where I can be notified every time one of my players learns a new position? That would be really helpful.
:like:Everyone has to be accomplished(i think that's the highest other than natural) in at least two spots.

Since so many FBGs play as Liverpool... how's Jack Robinson turn out in FM12?

He's transfer listed for whining about playing time, which seems like a pretty stupid thing for a 19-year-old at a big club to do. I think this could work out nicely for me though.

Smoov's Idea for 2013 / "Can you already do this?":I like to always have my guys training in new positions, so that hopefully, they can become more well-rounded and startable in more places. What I don't like is that every few months or so, I have to manually go in and go one by one down my lineup to see if any of them have mastered their new positions yet. Is there a setting somewhere in 2012 where I can be notified every time one of my players learns a new position? That would be really helpful.
:like:Everyone has to be accomplished(i think that's the highest other than natural) in at least two spots.
It will take away from other training though so there will be less development somewhere else. Players also have hidden limits on what other positions they can play and excel at. You can basically spend all the time in the world training a player for a position they will never be good at.

Any player that has EU or African citizenship is "free". Players from the Americas (and Asia) are SOL and count against the cap. It's especially bad for US players that require a 10 year residency to gain nationality. That's one of the reasons that Jozy never broke into Villarreal, since he would count against the cap if he were registered for the season.
I've been busy so I haven't started my Dutch team yet, but one of the primary reasons I wanted to grab a team outside of the EPL was their restrictions on foreign players. It really makes it tough to grow a small team when you can't grab young, non-EU talent.

It will take away from other training though so there will be less development somewhere else. Players also have hidden limits on what other positions they can play and excel at. You can basically spend all the time in the world training a player for a position they will never be good at.
I'm not talking taking them from 0 to accomplished. Just from one that they're already playing to accomplished.I usually won't even try if they're yellow(forget what level that is)at a position. Unless that's a big deal, too. Then i'll have to rethink things :unsure:

:goodposting: I've found its best to only give players one extra thing at a time - either new position, preferred move, or individual focus. Giving them more messes up their basic training too much.

I'm not talking taking them from 0 to accomplished. Just from one that they're already playing to accomplished.I usually won't even try if they're yellow(forget what level that is)at a position. Unless that's a big deal, too. Then i'll have to rethink things :unsure:
I think it's good to have some diverse players. I'm just saying be careful because young players learn new positions easier, but that's also where they develop most of their physical skills. Just realize it's a zero sum game.My opinion is it's best to keep your best players playing in their best positions as much as possible. Diversity is great for role players (or good players that already have an innate talent for it). Just be careful trying to force it onto all of your players. In almost all cases it will have some affect on their skillset in their primary position.I find my role players are best filled with veterans who can already play multiple positions and can also be used to tutor younger players. Tutoring is a game in of itself and veterans are important to keep around so picking them up as diverse squad players seems like a win-win if you want to keep your salary reasonable.

decided to fire up my forst save with liverpool. got a notice of a board adjustment for more transfer funds, so i thought I'd look and see...

LMAO

I think it's good to have some diverse players. I'm just saying be careful because young players learn new positions easier, but that's also where they develop most of their physical skills. Just realize it's a zero sum game.My opinion is it's best to keep your best players playing in their best positions as much as possible. Diversity is great for role players (or good players that already have an innate talent for it). Just be careful trying to force it onto all of your players. In almost all cases it will have some affect on their skillset in their primary position.I find my role players are best filled with veterans who can already play multiple positions and can also be used to tutor younger players. Tutoring is a game in of itself and veterans are important to keep around so picking them up as diverse squad players seems like a win-win if you want to keep your salary reasonable.
:goodposting: When I go for depth players, I almost exclusively go for veterans who can play multiple positions. I won't touch a backup fullback unless he can play on both the left and right; same for attacking midfielders (I use an AML and AMR). That way, I can be covered at every position in each game, and it usually helps to keep salary down as well.

My favorite single game of FM I've played yet...Playing against Arsenal, had my DM sent off at the 30 minute mark while trailing 1-0... and came back and won 2-1! :excited: JET scored both goals to stick it to his former club. Just a bizarre game all around. Both teams missed a penalty. Gervinho had a wide open breakaway to tie the game in the final seconds of stoppage time and missed the net by about 10 yards. :lol:
I'm not sure why but Arsenal likes to lose to my Ipswich team in the dumbest ways possible.Arsenal's got the ball deep in my territory for a throw-in. My guy steals the ball and sends it long, and I see that Fabianski is about 30 yards off his line for no apparent reason. He can't seem to decide whether to run back to the goal or go play the ball, so he just kinda runs around in a circle as JET gets the ball, blows past him and shoots into the empty net. :lmao: They also gave me a needless PK so I won 2-0.Managed to finish my first season in the EPL in 7th. Was in the relegation battle for the first half of the season and then just put it all together somehow in the second half. No idea how I did that, but I will take it.

I've kind of bounced around on FM12, not really playing any one save for too long. So, I recently started one with Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga and let me tell you, not having to worry about work permits is awesome. Just sign who you want.

Taking a break from Wolves. I finished top 10 in 2011/12 and reached the fa cup semis. Decided to keep the team pretty much intact year two and add some young potential that could hopefully force a breakthrough in a few years. So I zero in on two targets who appeared to have no issues joining Wolves. All of a sudden Liverpool signs one and the other failed to get a work permit. I did get Rafael to upgrade goalie to go with my steal last year of Giroud who led Wolves in goals.But losing those players almost made me re start with a giant.
Starting to experience this with Ipswich headed to year 3.Had really good young CB Steven Caulker on loan from Tottenham last season, and was planning to cash in on the future fee I put in his loan deal and upgrade my other CB. I got one good CB signed, but Caulker didn't want to stay. Plan B was a transfer-listed Laurent Koscielny, but Arsenal loaned him to Lyon before I could make an offer. Plan C picked Everton over me and Plan D opted for Zaragoza. Plan E is to come whine in the FFA about it.

With Ipswich expect to be making a lot of moves once you are promoted. Only JET and Cresswell(borderline) are good enough. You can get by w/ Leadbitter and a few others, but they will need to be replaced. I am in the 2016/17 season and only have JET (and he is just cover since he plays everything on the left)in the team.Build from the back GK, DC, Fullbacks and DM. I brought in Bassong the first year up and he is still a starter in CL and I have won a few minor trophies and the PL once, so far.
I highly recommend using JET at AMR as an inside forward. I put him there in 2013/14 and in the EPL he had 22 goals, 10 assists, a 7.5 average rating and won English Footballer of the Year. :shock: Finished 7th for the second straight year but it was a much better 7th. I made the Europa League and was in the CL hunt until the last few games, had about 10 more points than the previous season.

I should've taken the Aston Villa job a couple years ago when it was offered to me.

Some Argentine tycoon bought the team and is promising a transfer budget of 77 million. :shock:

With Ipswich expect to be making a lot of moves once you are promoted. Only JET and Cresswell(borderline) are good enough. You can get by w/ Leadbitter and a few others, but they will need to be replaced. I am in the 2016/17 season and only have JET (and he is just cover since he plays everything on the left)in the team.Build from the back GK, DC, Fullbacks and DM. I brought in Bassong the first year up and he is still a starter in CL and I have won a few minor trophies and the PL once, so far.
I highly recommend using JET at AMR as an inside forward. I put him there in 2013/14 and in the EPL he had 22 goals, 10 assists, a 7.5 average rating and won English Footballer of the Year. :shock: Finished 7th for the second straight year but it was a much better 7th. I made the Europa League and was in the CL hunt until the last few games, had about 10 more points than the previous season.
Interesting. When I restart as Ipswich I will give it a shot. I am in 2021/22 season on my current save and he is still a squad player. He never ascended to what you got for him. EPL Player of the year is friggin' crazy!! Congrats! I got him like 22 English caps though(will check next time).My suggestion for anyone starting in a non-top flight league is to sign Darwin Quintero at the start(assuming you can scrape together $5 mill). Your goal scoring problems will be over with and you can prioritize the leaky D the next year. If you cannot get Darwin look at Fierro. Grab both and you have bags of goals.Darwin may even be a great buy for the top flight, but I have not tried yet.

I should've taken the Aston Villa job a couple years ago when it was offered to me.Some Argentine tycoon bought the team and is promising a transfer budget of 77 million. :shock:
In your save, was Ipswich taken over when you moved up? Just curious because in mine it was.Current owners give me like $60 mill one year for transfer and then $10 mill the next two or three. Vicious cycle.

I should've taken the Aston Villa job a couple years ago when it was offered to me.Some Argentine tycoon bought the team and is promising a transfer budget of 77 million. :shock:
In your save, was Ipswich taken over when you moved up? Just curious because in mine it was.Current owners give me like $60 mill one year for transfer and then $10 mill the next two or three. Vicious cycle.
Nope, marcus evans is still in charge.My transfer budgets have pretty steadily gone up. 13M the first year up, then 20M, then 30M.

Currently in 4th after 14 games into the 2029-2030 season. Qualified out of Group CL play too. Had to get rid of a few high salary players, but the team is coming together well. I needed a cash injection from the owner last year to keep afloat. Finances are in much better shape now.

Interesting. When I restart as Ipswich I will give it a shot. I am in 2021/22 season on my current save and he is still a squad player. He never ascended to what you got for him. EPL Player of the year is friggin' crazy!! Congrats! I got him like 22 English caps though(will check next time).My suggestion for anyone starting in a non-top flight league is to sign Darwin Quintero at the start(assuming you can scrape together $5 mill). Your goal scoring problems will be over with and you can prioritize the leaky D the next year. If you cannot get Darwin look at Fierro. Grab both and you have bags of goals.Darwin may even be a great buy for the top flight, but I have not tried yet.
JET came back down to earth in 2014-15, ending with an average rating around 7, so it may have been a fluke. His shoots with power PPM seems to help him at AMR... in his Player of the Year season, he was always blasting the ball into the top left corner.I signed Fierro for 2014-15 (still only 7M) and while he was inconsistent he also had enough flashes of brilliance that I'm pretty sure he's going to be great.Ended up in 7th yet again, but won the FA Cup for my first trophy.

Went back and checked my FM11 Bayern save and in the 2012 CL final I beat Chelsea 1-0 on a goal by Muller.

So close to reality, yet so far away. :kicksrock:

With a new computer, I had to start from scratch somewhere. Back to one of my first saves with the MK Dons. I'm about halfway through the first season and performing pretty well. I may or may not get promoted this year. I'm actually hoping I don't, so that I could dominate League 1 next season and then challenge the Championship League in my third year. Everything now is geared towards building a Championship roster. Most all are free transfers, I think I spent 35k on one player. Facilities, scouting range, number of coaches, etc, can all be improved upon. Finances are also tight with only 60k per week.The biggest surprise has been cup performance. In the League Cup, beat Tottenham, Derby, and Arsenal to advance to the semi-finals where I'm about to begin two legs against Liverpool. I'm expecting to get blown out both games but was expecting the same against Tottenham and Arsensl. Also, just beat Birmingham in the FA Cup (3rd rnd I think) and am set to play in the South Final of the Johnstone's Paint Cup.Hopefully season three I'll have a strong team ready to challenge it's way into Premier and stick there.
After a long break, I decided to fire up FM11 and my old MK Dons game. Just finished the playoff in the first season:"The fan's at Milton Keynes are overjoyed as General Zod and his players secured promotion from the npower League 1.""A spokesman for the official supporters' club stated that Zod was the sort of head coach who simply thrived on the pressure that chasing success entails." :excited:

My favorite bizarre thing I've seen lately in this game - when I sold backup goalkeeper Jamal Blackman to QPR, I got this message:

Blackman revealed that he was looking forward to a more cosmopolitan lifestyle in keeping with his image.
:lol:

Coming off a 9th place finish, Villa had a net transfer spending of 58 million... and got relegated :lol:I finished 2nd and was in the title hunt until the last day. Everything's falling into place at Ipswich, but I'm starting to get the urge to start a new save of some kind. Planning on playing as Villareal once FM13 comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a new computer, I had to start from scratch somewhere. Back to one of my first saves with the MK Dons. I'm about halfway through the first season and performing pretty well. I may or may not get promoted this year. I'm actually hoping I don't, so that I could dominate League 1 next season and then challenge the Championship League in my third year. Everything now is geared towards building a Championship roster. Most all are free transfers, I think I spent 35k on one player. Facilities, scouting range, number of coaches, etc, can all be improved upon. Finances are also tight with only 60k per week.The biggest surprise has been cup performance. In the League Cup, beat Tottenham, Derby, and Arsenal to advance to the semi-finals where I'm about to begin two legs against Liverpool. I'm expecting to get blown out both games but was expecting the same against Tottenham and Arsensl. Also, just beat Birmingham in the FA Cup (3rd rnd I think) and am set to play in the South Final of the Johnstone's Paint Cup.Hopefully season three I'll have a strong team ready to challenge it's way into Premier and stick there.
After a long break, I decided to fire up FM11 and my old MK Dons game. Just finished the playoff in the first season:"The fan's at Milton Keynes are overjoyed as General Zod and his players secured promotion from the npower League 1.""A spokesman for the official supporters' club stated that Zod was the sort of head coach who simply thrived on the pressure that chasing success entails." :excited:
My favorite compliments I got playing in this game were when real life superstars gave me the credit for their accomplishments."Thomas Muller said he never could've won German Footballer of the Year without the coaching of Spartans Rule".Yeah, what a bum that guy was. Good thing I was there to get his career on the right track.

I was away from the game from a while but Euro has gotten me back into it. I restarted Wolves with a new stuck in the mud formation philosophy from the senior squad to the u19. I run a 5-2-3 formation.

-------------TMS--------------

IFA-------------------------IFA

------------------APS---------

-------CMD-------------------

WBA-----------------------WBA

-----CDD----CDS------CDD----

The wing players cut inside receiving passes form the supporting target man and the advanced playmaker. Scott Fletcher at AMR has scored 9 goals in 9 EPL matches (missed 2 games). The wing backs hug the touchline providing width and also occasionally hook up with the IFA's. So far it has been lethal. Multiple 3-0 wins along with defeating Man City and Chelsea in the League Cup. Arsenal is up next. We are 7-1-3 and currently in 3rd.

I sub in a DMD to hold leads and add in a AMA if I need goals. The training into new positions and new movement has worked out well so far. Nobody has rejected training to cut inside (IFA) or hug the touchline (WB). Finding players with the skills for the system is a bit difficult so far. My only senior teams squad signing was Timmy Chandler to share WBR with Foley. The WB's are by far the team weak points but they are very hard to find and or not easy for Wolves to sign. I am scouting the national U teams to find young wing backs and wingers I can mold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opened the 2016-17 season by blowing a 2-goal lead at Old Trafford to end with a 2-2 draw, then drawing at home with Sunderland, then losing to Derby and Nottingham Forest back-to-back.

So I click on team meeting, and it says "There isn't a suitable reason to call a team meeting." :wall:

It took three seasons in the Champions League but the Dons have just secured promotion to Premier League. Each season the team got a bit better. First season the media predicted us for dead last 24th. Battled to 7th and had an outside shot at the playoffs at the end. Second season finished a strong 4th. In the playoff final it was 1-1 and headed for penalty kicks. My first three guys all missed. WTF! So close but I figured the team was still maturing and I could bolster them even more. Third season was in 2nd or 3rd all year. Birmingham destroyed Champions League this past year. Going into the last game, I needed a win and Leeds to draw or lose. 3-0 and Leeds lost to Birmingham. Yee-Haw! Although, I figured I had a good playoff run in me if Leeds somehow won.

Biggest gamble: Selling my GK Smithies before the last season so I could start a 17yo Spanish GK. He did fine, learned English and improved well. He had spent a year on my U18 squad and I couldn't get him loaned out and still can't find a tutor for him. At 16, he was already pretty good and his potential "far exceeded Smithies." I figured with that much potential, it was best to get him playing with the 1st team.

Biggest accomplishment: Breaking the record for goals scored for the Champions League each season. 107, 119, and 120something. Also, other than first season playing in League 1, I created my own tactics.

Good times, I'm nowhere near done with FM11. Will probably skip 12 & 13 altogether. Most likely save the Don's for later and fire up a new German or Italian save.

:thumbup:

I just completed year 21 with the 'Fosters. Finished 3rd in the Prem and was fighting for the top two slots all year. Now I'm 8 games in and sitting in first. Finally upgraded my training facilities so that I can develop my players better. I still only sell about 18,000 tickets per game and have only 4,000 season ticket holders. :loco:

Haven't had much time for this lately, but I'm very close to getting Derby promoted. I think I'm third and only 2 points off of second with about a month to go.

This will be the first time I've stuck with a lower team through promotion. :banned:

Opened the 2016-17 season by blowing a 2-goal lead at Old Trafford to end with a 2-2 draw, then drawing at home with Sunderland, then losing to Derby and Nottingham Forest back-to-back.So I click on team meeting, and it says "There isn't a suitable reason to call a team meeting." :wall:
Ended up 3rd, five points back of City. If not for that start...Did win both the League Cup and FA Cup though. Also got to the first knockout round of the CL, where I got steamrolled by an absurd Real Madrid team that made me want to start a Real Madrid save. They still have almost all their good current players, plus Hamsik, Neymar, Doumbia and some regen CB named Tete who scored a hat trick off headers against me. They had Mats Hummels for a while too, but didn't use him much and eventually sold him to me for cheap.

Hopefully the U.S. has a brighter future than on my Ipswich save.

After losing to Honduras in the 2017 Gold Cup quarterfinal, Klinsmann was sacked and replaced by his U21 coach... none other than Bob Bradley.

Highlight of Bradley's first press conference: "I like attractive soccer and that is what I will be encouraging." :lol:

Thinking back to just being promoted is giving me the urge to try something more challenging.

At Ipswich I somehow signed Mesut Ozil away from Real and this ridiculous striker I signed two years ago finally came over from Argentina. Add that to what I already had and I'm pretty much scoring at will now.

Users who are viewing this thread