What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys.com subscription (1 Viewer)

Joe,Do not create a subscriber only forum. I suspect this thought has already run through your head, but it is the best hook you have towards drawing in potential new subscribers (such as myself). 2 separate forums would really kill the non-subscriber one since it seems like the most active posters are already subscribers and would likely limit their postings to the exclusive forum. If that were to happen, an FFToday refugee like myself would have stopped by, then swum away. Instead, I'm now likely to subscribe.
I agree. I have used the fantasy forum for a few years but am a new FBG subscriber this year. I was a subscriber to another site for the last couple years but when decided to leave that site, FBG was my first consideration because I was a member of the fantasy forum and had a feel for what the staff and other members are like. BTW, left the other site because feel they have moved away from their football focus to a more all fantasy sports focus which seems to have taken away from their football content (especially off-season content).

The thing that I like the best about FBG's is that they share with you how to arrive at well-informed decisions on your own, and then do a good job of giving you the input that you need to make those decisions.

You are going to find the same basic information pretty much anywhere you go. It doesn't take a lot to look at LT's numbers and situation and figure he should be drafted in the first few picks. :)

But FBGs is great about giving access to the information you will want to make the best decision for yourself. WR Targets, game recaps, etc, as well as saving you time in providing the breaking news each day.

Someone else said it best though. The best reason is because most of us familiar with this place feel this way:

If you were in my league, I would not want you to subscribe to FBG.

The weekly targets are nice, but the dynamic weekly defensive projections, per position, are a great feature. And one that I'm not sure many use to its fullest. Knowing which teams poorly defensed TE's last year allowed me to start the right TE throughout the year (FFTOC) and win my 2nd championship in a row. That's just one example though.

If you need to give this much thought to a $20 investment, you have much bigger issues to worry about.
I can never understand why people post moronic babble in forum topics they have no interest in? Judging by your comment I'd say it's you that has much bigger issues to worry about, sparky!!!!

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!!   :D    It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied.  It is well worth the money.   :thumbup:

I also figure the money helps in keeping the board up and running, and that alone would be worth it.

My only real complaint is that there not a forum for those that are subscribers to discuss the paid material.  I think that is a drawback.  :2cents:
My only real beef with FBGs :goodposting:
This has been discussed quite a bit. Making the forum exclusive to subscribers would reduce the number of viewpoints and contributions, which (with a few exceptions) is not a good thing.
What zamboni said. It's something we continue to look at each year. I definitely see reasons why it'd be good. But I just love the Shark Pool the way it is and I'm super hesitant to do anything that would fracture the NFL information that flows here. A "subscribers only" forum would be devastating to the Shark Pool. It'd be cool for those in it. But really bad for the current Shark Pool. And I'm just super hestitant to do that. Not saying never. Just not this year. Thanks.

J
J & zamboni.I think nerangers point slipped by both of you guys unnoticed.

He did not suggest make the sharkpool pay only.

He suggested adding another forum, that would only accessible to paid members.

That way paying members could cut & paste and discuss to their hearts content, any & all pay articles.
Hi, Thanks but I understand his point exactly. What it would do is fracture the current Shark Pool. I understand it would be additional. I just am super hesitant to fracture what we have here now. Thanks though and I'll keep it under consideration.

J
Hi Joe,I fully understand your point. I love the Shark Pool, else I would not come here all year long! Maybe there can be some leniency about discussion threads addressing paid material, as long as the material is not posted in the thread in its entirety.

I am not sure if you can have a thread that only paid members can get into. Maybe a few pinned threads dealing with the weeks rankings, etc. That is usually what generates the most discussions (why someone is ranked higher than someone else, etc). You never know, a few threads like this might get even more people to sign-up.

Both of my suggestions are based on having just one shark pool, but a means for paid subscription material to be discussed. I am sure you guys can figure something out. :popcorn:

it's not the amount of money that people hesitate over - it's the concern for whether they're getting fair value....you're pissed that you feel like a chump.
velcro...rest assured, you WILL NOT feel like a chumpit is a stone, cold lock that you will not be able to process all the information you receive as a subcriber here @FBG's...

I PROMISE you will scream "uncle"...beg Joe to slow down, as you haven't had a chance to catch up on the previous 2 emails, let's alone go thru game projections and read the unending stream of articles that the staff of 40+ continue to pound us with

...don't sign up----if you want plenty of free time to wonder why the others around are catching....WAIT.....PASSING you in your league

get the jump on them...you'll be glad you did

I have been following Joe around since the cheatsheet days like the Dali Lama, or should I say like a Grateful Dead groupie?

Either way, I think the info here is great and well worth $20. I have tried a few other sites and while they were fine I never found any that offered as much as FBGs.

One thing it seems some people forget is that the site is a tool, not a crystal ball. You still have to think, but the site gives you a lot more information with which to make your choices. The VBD ap is a perfect example. I print one out every year for each of my leagues and then tweak it as I see fit. It beats the heck out of typing your own rankings from scratch.

I like the responsiveness you get from FBGs, ask for new material and they consider it. The new dynasty stuff is fantastic, the best on the web.

The site is a little hard to navigate (and the bright yellow makes it hard to hide when your boss stops in) but that's obviously my issue.

I like the idea of a few member only threads to discuss pay data, but the forums are probably the best and definitely the easiest way to get data on just about any aspect of fantasy football I have ever come across.

The one real drawback to FBG for me is that it makes me lazy. It's easy to rely on Joe and company for all of my info and not do the work to get other POVs. I know it'll never happen but if Joe misses something I may not find out! Seriously, that's where the boards are really nice, lots of smart guys posting different POVs. Best place on the web IMHO.

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!! :D It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied. It is well worth the money. :thumbup:

I also figure the money helps in keeping the board up and running, and that alone would be worth it.

My only real complaint is that there not a forum for those that are subscribers to discuss the paid material. I think that is a drawback. :2cents:
This has been discussed quite a bit. Making the forum exclusive to subscribers would reduce the number of viewpoints and contributions, which (with a few exceptions) is not a good thing.
What zamboni said. It's something we continue to look at each year. I definitely see reasons why it'd be good. But I just love the Shark Pool the way it is and I'm super hesitant to do anything that would fracture the NFL information that flows here. A "subscribers only" forum would be devastating to the Shark Pool. It'd be cool for those in it. But really bad for the current Shark Pool. And I'm just super hestitant to do that. Not saying never. Just not this year. Thanks.

J

That way paying members could cut & paste and discuss to their hearts content, any & all pay articles.
Hi, Thanks but I understand his point exactly. What it would do is fracture the current Shark Pool. I understand it would be additional. I just am super hesitant to fracture what we have here now. Thanks though and I'll keep it under consideration.

J
Hi Joe,I fully understand your point. I love the Shark Pool, else I would not come here all year long! Maybe there can be some leniency about discussion threads addressing paid material, as long as the material is not posted in the thread in its entirety.

I am not sure if you can have a thread that only paid members can get into. Maybe a few pinned threads dealing with the weeks rankings, etc. That is usually what generates the most discussions (why someone is ranked higher than someone else, etc). You never know, a few threads like this might get even more people to sign-up.

Both of my suggestions are based on having just one shark pool, but a means for paid subscription material to be discussed. I am sure you guys can figure something out. :popcorn:
I think this is already allowed, at least I've seen a lot of topics debating a group of players who just happen to be ranked together in the projections. I've also seen players' ranking called out as either too high or too low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the intention of the rule was to prevent people from posting whole sections of the paid material, not to keep them from discussing it.

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!!   :D    It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied.  It is well worth the money.   :thumbup:

My only real complaint is that there not a forum for those that are subscribers to discuss the paid material.  I think that is a drawback.  :2cents:

J

J

Hi ner,That's probably along the lines of the best answer. The subscribers yell at me when we post the info they've paid for here where it can be seen for free. But it's also great stuff to discuss. Let me work on that angle but I think maybe softening the stance on what pay material can be discussed (and how much of it) is probably the right answer. We obviously can't job the customer by allowing what he's paid for to be given away, but we can probably strike a better medium there in letting it be discussed.

J

Because its only $26 you cheap *******.
That is a great answer. Tell me at what price do you stop buying subscriptions to fantasy football sites. Also would like to know what else you buy, without making sure the quality of the service isn't subpar.

That is a great answer. Tell me at what price do you stop buying subscriptions to fantasy football sites. Also would like to know what else you buy, without making sure the quality of the service isn't subpar.
We're a little bit different though as we lay out everything we did last year so people can see what they're getting. There is no mystery. I understand that question very well - the "what if I don't like the content?" question is big. But that's why we show people up front what they're going to get.The other big factor in my opinion is that we offer a full money back guarantee. If you sign up and you don't think it's a good value, you have until the end of September to request a full refund. Basically, we want to make this "why subscribe" question as easy to answer as we possibly can.

J

Hey guys,We've never had a problem with people discussing the subscriber content on the boards. We only ask that you don't copy and paste entire lists or articles to the board. Individual rankings and projections are fine to discuss/debate. If you're not sure about something I'm always available to answer question through PM if you're not sure.

It's certainly possible to dominate your leagues without this service, it just means you'll have to spend a bit more time searching through various sites and piecing it all together. If you've the time to cut and paste your info, more power to you. It's easy to just pay the money and get all my info here each week.

A feature that might be a win-win here is tying discussions right to the document -- much like the 'comment' field on most blogs. Then if a subscriber wants to comment on a pay article, s/he can.

I don't think it would dilute the quality of the shark pool since it would tie comments directly to the content.

just a thought for 2007...

edited because I tried to combine two thoughts and neither were all that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Because its only $26 you cheap *******".

I'm sorry, but that is so hilariously funny. And so, so right. :excited: :goodposting:

Buck:I offer a great fantasy projection service and winning gambling picks every week, for only $25 for the season. PM me and I'll tell you where to send me your check.

V

We're a little bit different though as we lay out everything we did last year so people can see what they're getting. There is no mystery. I understand that question very well - the "what if I don't like the content?" question is big. But that's why we show people up front what they're going to get.J
Which is why, I am subscribing for the first time this year (the 3 year one at that).However the reply of it is only $26, just do it, is ignorant.

BUMP

Just signed up for the 3 year deal. This will be my 3rd year that I have paid for a subscription. It's a great buy.

The 3 year deal they offer is awesome. Hurry though cause the last day for this deal is Saturday July 15th.

What zamboni said. It's something we continue to look at each year. I definitely see reasons why it'd be good. But I just love the Shark Pool the way it is and I'm super hesitant to do anything that would fracture the NFL information that flows here. A "subscribers only" forum would be devastating to the Shark Pool. It'd be cool for those in it. But really bad for the current Shark Pool. And I'm just super hestitant to do that.

Not saying never. Just not this year. Thanks.

J
Hi Joe,My suggestion has always been for FBG to ENCOURAGE open discussion of the pay content on the boards anyway. Anything short of cutting and pasting. It would reduce this gripe and I suspect would increase rather thean decrease subscribers in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread