What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Forum Bots - Please Report - Any Idea Why? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
As some of you have seen, we seem to have bots on the forum that post random things.

It's usually easy to tell as it's slightly off and seems to have the AI feel.

This one was in the "would you get a pedicure" thread today.

It's kind of fun experimenting with different colors and styles on my own time. But hey, to each their own, right? Whether you're a regular at the salon or prefer to keep it low-key like me, as long as you're doing what makes you feel good, that's what matters most.

Two things.

1. Please help us keep these out of the forum by clicking the "Report" button. We need your help on these to see. Please do not reply to the post as that just muddies up the forum.
2. Do y'all have any idea what the purpose would be? We're a pretty tiny piece of the internet. Our registration process for an account is kind of slow. What purpose would a bot like this have posting meaningless stuff on about a pedicure? The registrations all seem to be normal with pretty normal sounding screen names. They usually have a gmail or yahoo email address.

Any thoughts?

The thread where this popped up today was the bot chose a topic from January and made their post (We have since deleted).

Why pick a random thread from January to add in the dull comment today?

I just don't see the upside or motivation for who would do that.

I guess it might benefit the forum itself if we could make it look like there were real posters here. But obviously, we're not doing this.

Just seems so odd.

And definitely new.

The thread where this popped up today was the bot chose a topic from January and made their post (We have since deleted).

I guess it might benefit the forum itself if we could make it look like there were real posters here. But obviously, we're not doing this.

Just seems so odd.

And definitely new.
From what I gather online, these bots are planting seeds in forums all over the net, from the big sites to the small like us.

The tactic is to post fairly innocuous posts like the one you found today, with the intent to later come back and edit the post with links of some kind.

Others say these bots are being used to test vulnerabilities in sites in the hopes of exploiting data bases but I am unsure how.

Just seems so odd.

And definitely new.
From what I gather online, these bots are planting seeds in forums all over the net, from the big sites to the small like us.

The tactic is to post fairly innocuous posts like the one you found today, with the intent to later come back and edit the post with links of some kind.

Others say these bots are being used to test vulnerabilities in sites in the hopes of exploiting data bases but I am unsure how.

Thank you. If you could share links on this kind of thing as you see them, I'd appreciate it.

It's annoying for sure to have them.

And please everyone, use the report button on any you see that are suspicious. Even if you're not sure.

They all seem to have been recently created and they don't have many posts.

Last edited:

Just seems so odd.

And definitely new.
Thought it was odd that that thread was rehashed but didn't really pay attention to the post/poster. But hey, it gave me a chance to post my random thought on the subject.

Bot attacks can take various forms, and not all of them are malicious in the traditional sense. Let’s delve into why a bot might register and post seemingly innocuous content on a lightly trafficked message board:

Data Harvesting and Reconnaissance:
Bots often collect information from websites, including user profiles, email addresses, and other publicly available data.
Posting innocuous content allows them to blend in and avoid suspicion while gathering valuable information.

SEO Manipulation:
Some bots aim to manipulate search engine rankings by creating backlinks or generating content.
By posting harmless messages, they contribute to the board’s content, which can indirectly affect search engine algorithms.

Test Runs and Warm-Up:
Before launching more harmful attacks, bots might perform test runs.
Posting harmless content helps them assess the board’s defenses and gauge their effectiveness.

Legitimate-Looking Activity:
Boards with low traffic may not have robust moderation.
Bots can exploit this by appearing as legitimate users, posting benign content to avoid detection.

Social Engineering:
Bots may engage in conversations to build trust with real users.
Once trust is established, they can later introduce malicious content or phishing attempts.

Content Scraping:
Even innocuous posts contribute to the board’s content.
Bots scrape this content for various purposes, such as republishing it elsewhere or analyzing trends.

Remember that seemingly harmless bot activity can still have implications for security, data privacy, and overall user experience. Vigilance and effective moderation are essential, even on lightly trafficked platforms.

Bot attacks can take various forms, and not all of them are malicious in the traditional sense. Let’s delve into why a bot might register and post seemingly innocuous content on a lightly trafficked message board:

Bots often collect information from websites, including user profiles, email addresses, and other publicly available data.
Posting innocuous content allows them to blend in and avoid suspicion while gathering valuable information.

SEO Manipulation:
Some bots aim to manipulate search engine rankings by creating backlinks or generating content.
By posting harmless messages, they contribute to the board’s content, which can indirectly affect search engine algorithms.

Test Runs and Warm-Up:
Posting harmless content helps them assess the board’s defenses and gauge their effectiveness.

Bots can exploit this by appearing as legitimate users, posting benign content to avoid detection.

Social Engineering:
Once trust is established, they can later introduce malicious content or phishing attempts.

Content Scraping:
Bots scrape this content for various purposes, such as republishing it elsewhere or analyzing trends.

Remember that seemingly harmless bot activity can still have implications for security, data privacy, and overall user experience. Vigilance and effective moderation are essential, even on lightly trafficked platforms.
Think I found one!

Individually they might seem meaninglessness. Need to look at them in aggregate to see if there is a pattern.

SEO Manipulation:

Test Runs and Warm-Up:

Social Engineering:

Content Scraping:

Think I found one!

There are many reasons why the FBG poster 3C’s should be permanently banned from the forums.

1….

Thank you. If you could share links on this kind of thing as you seem them, I'd appreciate it.
The links appear endless.

I recommend to Google "why are bots posting on forums" and choose what you are interested in to read.

Thanks. If you come across specific articles on this you're seeing as you said that you think are useful or helpful, I'd love to see the links here. Would save us time if it's something that someone here thought it was useful. Thanks.

As some of you have seen, we seem to have bots on the forum that post random things.

It's usually easy to tell as it's slightly off and seems to have the AI feel.

This one was in the "would you get a pedicure" thread today.

It's kind of fun experimenting with different colors and styles on my own time. But hey, to each their own, right? Whether you're a regular at the salon or prefer to keep it low-key like me, as long as you're doing what makes you feel good, that's what matters most.

Two things.

1. Please help us keep these out of the forum by clicking the "Report" button. We need your help on these to see. Please do not reply to the post as that just muddies up the forum.
2. Do y'all have any idea what the purpose would be? We're a pretty tiny piece of the internet. Our registration process for an account is kind of slow. What purpose would a bot like this have posting meaningless stuff on about a pedicure? The registrations all seem to be normal with pretty normal sounding screen names. They usually have a gmail or yahoo email address.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like GM to me...

I wonder if this site has been scraped yet for AI training. And if it has how long until "shuke" becomes a standard verb and inducted into the dictionary?
When ChatGPT starts ending it's responses with "GLLLL Peas" we will know it is the beginning of the end.
The phrase "GLLLL Peas" is likely a variation of the popular gamer slang "GLHF," which stands for "Good Luck, Have Fun." It's a courteous and friendly expression often used at the beginning of multiplayer online games to wish opponents or teammates well before starting a match. The addition of the repeated letter "L" in "GLLLL" might be a playful or exaggerated way of extending the well-wishes. "Peas" is a humorous misspelling or abbreviation of "peace," often used as a lighthearted sign-off. So, "GLLLL Peas" essentially means "Good Luck, Have Fun, Peace."

I've always pondered if bots send each other DMs. It would be a possible way for undesirables to communicate with one another without the long arm of the law suspecting.

I wonder if this site has been scraped yet for AI training. And if it has how long until "shuke" becomes a standard verb and inducted into the dictionary?
When ChatGPT starts ending it's responses with "GLLLL Peas" we will know it is the beginning of the end.
I'm looking forward to a Chat GPT answer that ends with "take that to the bank brohan".

i am not a bot but i am a bothan take that to the bank botmigos
In order to play confuse-a-bot we should have SWC create all the thread titles.

Experience unparalleled convenience and security with modern banking services, where managing your finances is simplified with cutting-edge technology. Elevate your financial journey today with a bank that understands and evolves with your needs.

SEO Manipulation:

Test Runs and Warm-Up:

Social Engineering:

Content Scraping:

This is most definitely written by a bot

SEO Manipulation:

Test Runs and Warm-Up:

Social Engineering:

Content Scraping:

This is most definitely written by a bot
Gave copilot a spin and thought it would be kind of funny to just post it verbatim given the thread topic. Seems like a reasonable response, though.

Just seems so odd.

And definitely new.
I see it on other forums also, usually posted on long inactive threads.

As I posted once before in another thread, @rockaction ” supposedly” lives just a mile or 2 down the street from me, yet in 10yrs we’ve never met. His prose, highly articulate nature and general intelligence level (I have to read his posts 3 times in the hopes of grasping 50%) have me questioning his realness. I’d personally launch a bot investigation if I were you Joe. 😉

Just seems so odd.

And definitely new.

Thanks @FairWarning

Same type random slightly off posts that seem to be AI?

Can you tell there what's behind it?

How do they handle on those forums? Which forums?

@Mr. Pickles is likely a bot. i have suspected this from the aughts on.........

if we eliminate the bots, who will post about preparing for the itidarod or learning how to taste foreign food?

I think bots would accuse people of being bots to divert their attention.

I watched battle star gallactica.

Just seems so odd.

And definitely new.

Thanks @FairWarning

Same type random slightly off posts that seem to be AI?

Can you tell there what's behind it?

How do they handle on those forums? Which forums?
I’ve seen them on gambling forums, always overnights. Supposedly eBay has an AI-type of service that will write your descriptions for you. Here is an example, which reads kind of similar:

“This 2024 Topps Series 1 trading card features Oneil Cruz, a player for the Pittsburgh Pirates in Major League Baseball (MLB). The card is an original relic card from the 1989 Topps Baseball Relics insert set, with a player-worn relic and a black parallel variety with a serial number of #160/199.

The card is near mint or better in condition and manufactured in the United States by Topps. The card has no autograph and is not graded. It's a great addition to any baseball fan's collection”.

I don’t know the reason for it, maybe they just try to get on any forum and corrupt it.

Users who are viewing this thread