What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Founder of Family Research Council, caught vacationing (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :excited:
It doesn't concern you at all that a number of prominent leaders of the Christian right turn out to be secretly gay? (The Idaho senator, Ted Haggard, now this guy?) It doesn't cause you to question your own attitude regarding the morality of homosexuality?
so 3 leaders = all of the Christian leadersokay I'm following.Aren't you the same guy that gets upset when people talk negatively about the Jewish faith?

timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :excited:
It doesn't concern you at all that a number of prominent leaders of the Christian right turn out to be secretly gay? (The Idaho senator, Ted Haggard, now this guy?) It doesn't cause you to question your own attitude regarding the morality of homosexuality?
so 3 leaders = all of the Christian leadersokay I'm following.Aren't you the same guy that gets upset when people talk negatively about the Jewish faith?
Uhm, in Tim's defense, he did say "Christian right"... and how many Jewish leaders do you hear preaching up stiff anti-gay viewpoints?Oh- I'm a Christian.Edited to add that there is a distinct ring of irony here.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :gang1:
Uhm, in Tim's defense, he did say "Christian right"... and how many Jewish leaders do you hear preaching up stiff anti-gay viewpoints?Oh- I'm a Christian.Edited to add that there is a distinct ring of irony here.
This is not the first time Tim has used "all" in describing a group of people. He gets piled on, claims we misunderstood, he is not a bigot, etc. but he continues to paint with the broad brush again and again.

timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :gang1:
This is not the first time Tim has used "all" in describing a group of people. He gets piled on, claims we misunderstood, he is not a bigot, etc. but he continues to paint with the broad brush again and again.
The Christian right has been caught in the spotlight on the gay rights issue the last three presidential elections, no?...and I didn't see Tim use "all."

"I had surgery and I can't lift luggage. That's why I hired him."

Seems reasonable.
The pictures on the Rentboy.com profile show a shirtless young man with delicate features, guileless eyes, and sun-kissed, hairless skin. The profile touts his "smooth, sweet, tight ###" and "perfectly built 8 inch #### (uncut)" and explains he is "sensual," "wild," and "up for anything" — as long you ask first. And as long as you pay.
Seems reasonable he may have trouble lifting luggage after having surgery to undo whatever damage 8 inches does :popcorn:

I wrote "a number of prominent leaders of the Christian Right". I don't know where you get "all" from. Also, "The Christian Right", does not refer to all Christians, obviously. And most people who would consider themselves members of the Christian Right and good well-meaning people. But I certainly question SOME of the leadership.

jon_mx said:
timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :thumbdown:
Yep, all four of them. I guess if I find four Muslims terrorists, they all are. Doesn't this cause you to question your own bigotry towards those who disagree with you?
Not at all, because I'm not bigoted in the way you describe. I believe that some social conservatives honestly and with firm conviction believe that homosexuality is immoral. All I'm suggesting is that in light of the number of hypocrites at the head of this movement, I'm surprised that some of you don't question your beliefs about this. I certainly would.
I don't understand this logic. My beliefs are based on the teachings in the Bible, not on anything these folks have said or done. I am not familiar with this man, but if there is any truth to the allegations, then I am disappointed in his witness as a believer. Disappointed, but not surprised. The enemy is always at work and no doubt sets up these types of failures to gain the greatest possible impact on nonbelievers. But for the life if me I cannot fathom how another man's failings would impact my personal belief in God.
I don't think it should impact your personal belief in God. I also don't think it should impact your core convictions. But maybe, just maybe, it might impact your feelings regarding homosexuality? There are many, many Christians in the world who accept homosexuality and do not find it immoral. There are homosexual ministers, and priests. You can be a Christian and accept this. Or, if this is impossible to you, at least reach a point where you treat homosexuality as you would adultery- something that you consider immoral, but which should not be proscribed by law (including gay marriage.) This is my hope, anyhow.

I wrote "a number of prominent leaders of the Christian Right". I don't know where you get "all" from. Also, "The Christian Right", does not refer to all Christians, obviously. And most people who would consider themselves members of the Christian Right and good well-meaning people. But I certainly question SOME of the leadership.
Again...how does questioning SOME of the leadership in any way cause you to question the cause?

I don't think it should impact your personal belief in God. I also don't think it should impact your core convictions. But maybe, just maybe, it might impact your feelings regarding homosexuality? There are many, many Christians in the world who accept homosexuality and do not find it immoral. There are homosexual ministers, and priests. You can be a Christian and accept this. Or, if this is impossible to you, at least reach a point where you treat homosexuality as you would adultery- something that you consider immoral, but which should not be proscribed by law (including gay marriage.) This is my hope, anyhow.
What if homosexuality is one of their core convictions? I know plenty of people who believe with all their heart it's a sin.

thank you Tim, this is much clearer.

I don't think it should impact your personal belief in God. I also don't think it should impact your core convictions. But maybe, just maybe, it might impact your feelings regarding homosexuality?

There are many, many Christians in the world who accept homosexuality and do not find it immoral. There are homosexual ministers, and priests. You can be a Christian and accept this. Or, if this is impossible to you, at least reach a point where you treat homosexuality as you would adultery- something that you consider immoral, but which should not be proscribed by law (including gay marriage.) This is my hope, anyhow.
What if homosexuality is one of their core convictions? I know plenty of people who believe with all their heart it's a sin.
In that case, I would like to convince them to accept the part I bolded.

There are many, many Christians in the world who accept homosexuality and do not find it immoral. There are homosexual ministers, and priests. You can be a Christian and accept this. Or, if this is impossible to you, at least reach a point where you treat homosexuality as you would adultery- something that you consider immoral, but which should not be proscribed by law (including gay marriage.) This is my hope, anyhow.
Tim - for me it really gets down to how you view the Bible. For me I view the Bible as the inerrant which means that I hold that the Bible is 100% true (without error). I also believe that the Bible is God-breathed, which every word of the Bible is written by God. God is very clear in both testaments about homosexuality being a sin. You are correct that some (and I would disagree with many, many) particular denominations have accepted homosexuality and have ordained homosexual ministers. To me they are trying to reinterpret the Bible to fit today's culture which is in itself wrong. If you begin to alter and reinterpret certain portions of Scripture in an attempt to "modernize" God, where do you stop?

Tim - for me it really gets down to how you view the Bible. For me I view the Bible as the inerrant which means that I hold that the Bible is 100% true (without error). I also believe that the Bible is God-breathed, which every word of the Bible is written by God. God is very clear in both testaments about homosexuality being a sin. You are correct that some (and I would disagree with many, many) particular denominations have accepted homosexuality and have ordained homosexual ministers. To me they are trying to reinterpret the Bible to fit today's culture which is in itself wrong. If you begin to alter and reinterpret certain portions of Scripture in an attempt to "modernize" God, where do you stop?
If you believe the Bible is inerrant then noone is ever going to convince you to accept homosexuality. I assume you are also a Young Earth Creationist, then?

If you believe the Bible is inerrant then noone is ever going to convince you to accept homosexuality. I assume you are also a Young Earth Creationist, then?
You would assume wrong. I have not studied much about the whole "young earth" theory. There are many different interpretations of "7 days" out there. No one really knows but God.

No, He isn't.

I don't really care what religion (if any) someone believes in. But I cannot get over the fact there are still people out there who take the Bible literally. That is to me beyond crazy. I just do not understand how you can believe it's 100% accurate. Inspired by God, but written and exaggerated or twisted by man? Cool. Beyond questioning? I don't get this...how? Do you ignore what doesn't suit your beliefs?Let's start with some lazy softballs. Thoughts on Leviticus?

Tim - for me it really gets down to how you view the Bible. For me I view the Bible as the inerrant which means that I hold that the Bible is 100% true (without error). I also believe that the Bible is God-breathed, which every word of the Bible is written by God. ...
So those people with major eating disorders are lying when they say they hate their bodies? 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church—

Or, does 100% true mean something other than 100% "every word of the Bible" is true?

You would assume wrong. I have not studied much about the whole "young earth" theory. There are many different interpretations of "7 days" out there. No one really knows but God.
I'm glad you believe this. Why couldn't you also apply it to homosexuality?

No, He isn't.
Yes, He is.

Tim - for me it really gets down to how you view the Bible. For me I view the Bible as the inerrant which means that I hold that the Bible is 100% true (without error). I also believe that the Bible is God-breathed, which every word of the Bible is written by God. ...
So those people with major eating disorders are lying when they say they hate their bodies? 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church—

Or, does 100% true mean something other than 100% "every word of the Bible" is true?
it is really easy to pull things out of context isn't it?

Why do you care if Christians accept homosexuality? You say your don't care what people do as long as they don't harm anyone. Why then must you insist Christians accept the homosexual lifestyle? Who does it hurt if Christians think homosexuality is a sin? It really makes no sense to me.

timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :unsure:
It doesn't concern you at all that a number of prominent leaders of the Christian right turn out to be secretly gay? (The Idaho senator, Ted Haggard, now this guy?) It doesn't cause you to question your own attitude regarding the morality of homosexuality? These people are laughing at you, and those like you who honestly believe that homosexuality is immoral. They use that belief to gain money from people like you, and gain support from people like you in order to increase their own power base. But behind the scenes they obviously don't really believe any of the stuff they preach. They're probably atheists.
Could be they stared into the abyss for too long, and it stared back at them.Can a cleptomaniac, who has no control over his stealing, still believe theft is wrong? Or does he laugh at those who believe it is?
He certainly can. But is the cleptomaniac acting correctly when he condemns those who steal, actively promotes the denial of rights to those who steal, encourages and organizes those that hate people who steal, all the while hiding the fact that he is stealing himself, and at the same time encouraging and leading others to throw condemnation and denial and hatred upon those that steal?By the way; theft, by it's very act, infringes upon the rights of others. Homosexuality, practiced by two consenting adults, does not.Punishing and preventing theft protects the rights of those who may have been stolen from, and punishes those that have taken advantage of others. Punishing and "preventing" homosexuality does nothing but deny rights to people who have done nothing to harm anyone else.Your argument loses on mulitple points.

Wow another one.

What is it will sexuality and religion? Catholic pedo-priest, gay evangelicals, polygamy with the Mormons, 75 virgins with the Muslims....

Why do you care if Christians accept homosexuality? You say your don't care what people do as long as they don't harm anyone. Why then must you insist Christians accept the homosexual lifestyle? Who does it hurt if Christians think homosexuality is a sin? It really makes no sense to me.
Good question. I will explain it to you. 1. I believe that gays should have a right to marry. My reason for believing this is based on individual rights, and that people should be allowed to do what they want so long that it does not harm others. In a perfect world, the state would not recognize marriage, but we don't have that world and never will. Therefore, as long as the state recognizes heterosexual marriage, it should recognize homosexual marriages as well; otherwise, the state is discriminating against the individual rights of homosexuals. That is my opinion.2. The majority of Americans are opposed to gay marriage. So long as this is so, gay marriage will never be legally safe, no matter how many judges attempt to overrule the will of the majority on this issue.3. The majority of Americans are Christian. The majority of those who are opposed to gay marriage base their opposition on Christian beliefs.4. Therefore, if I want gay marriage to be legal, I think we need to change the minds of at least some Christians. Otherwise it won't happen. That is why I care.

SHENANIGANS!It's either all, entirely clear and absolutely correct and followed to the letter, or it's all open to nuance and interpretation. Can't be "some is", and "some isn't".

Do you eat shrimp?

Either you believe it to be 100% true or there is interpretation

Either some people have hated their bodies at one point or another, or they haven't.Either God-breathed every word of the bible to be 100% true, or not.

Maybe you want to argue that the point of this passage isn't that "no one ever hated his own body" but that this was just an easy to understand analogy to make the larger point. Everyone understands this. But the phrase is not without error.

Yep, all of your clear passages about homosexuality need a whole bunch of out context assumptions to be condemnations of homosexuality.

Do you eat shrimp?
Do you ever work on Sunday? If so, you need to be put to death. :bs:

So is anyone denying that this leading Christian-right scholar and activist was playing hide the sausage with a male prostitute?

Either some people have hated their bodies at one point or another, or they haven't.Either God-breathed every word of the bible to be 100% true, or not.

Maybe you want to argue that the point of this passage isn't that "no one ever hated his own body" but that this was just an easy to understand analogy to make the larger point. Everyone understands this. But the phrase is not without error.

Yep, all of your clear passages about homosexuality need a whole bunch of out context assumptions to be condemnations of homosexuality.
Galatians 5:25 - 33 refers to how a husband is to love his wife. If you read the entire passage of Scripture you will see the entire context. It has no application to eating disorders or people hating themselves. I really don't understand your point.To your point about homosexuality I'd encourage you to read Romans 1:24-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, and 1 Timothy 1:9-11. It is pretty clear to me :(

To your point about homosexuality I'd encourage you to read Romans 1:24-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, and 1 Timothy 1:9-11. It is pretty clear to me :confused:
"men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet"That's your idea of clear? How were you able to figure out what those "unseemly" acts entailed?

So is anyone denying that this leading Christian-right scholar and activist was playing hide the sausage with a male prostitute?
No one knew who the guy was until today and it doesn't matter.
So one of the founders of Focus on the Family was unknown?
to add to that, the vast majority of Americans have no idea who most of the most influential people in the country are. Read up on this guy, he's had a profound impact on our culture. Just because someone hasnt written a bestseller or isnt on TV doesnt mean they dont have a ton of influence. As this point, any leader of any of the prominent Chrisitan right-wing groups......I'm just going to have to assume theyre gay. I still wonder why they havent learned to spin this better though, many anti-gay leaders have turned out to be gay, theyve had years to work on a story and the best this guy can come up with is luggage? Can he not call Frank Luntz or something?'

No one knew who the guy was until today and it doesn't matter.
So one of the founders of Focus on the Family was unknown?
He was on their board....Dobson was the founder. Do you know all the board members of MoveOn dot org? The headline of the OP is kind of BS.

Do you ever work on Sunday? If so, you need to be put to death. :popcorn:
Old covenant. Few seem to understand what Jesus did.
He never got married and hung around with 12 other dudes. hmm...How come the no homo sex thing doesn't get waived off with "the old covenant"?
It is not a matter of getting waived off. Christ atoned for all sins. Gays are not condemned to hell.

Monkey13 said:
jon_mx said:
timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :popcorn:
Yep, all four of them. I guess if I find four Muslims terrorists, they all are. Doesn't this cause you to question your own bigotry towards those who disagree with you?
Does disliking people who preach and spread bigotry make one a bigot?I don't think it does. I think it makes one not a bigot.
not true semantically. I am a bigot. I am bigotted against racists, homophobes, religious zealots and Ohio State Buckeye fans.

Galatians 5:25 - 33 refers to how a husband is to love his wife. If you read the entire passage of Scripture you will see the entire context. It has no application to eating disorders or people hating themselves. I really don't understand your point.To your point about homosexuality I'd encourage you to read Romans 1:24-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, and 1 Timothy 1:9-11. It is pretty clear to me :popcorn:
You left out Romans 1:28-32
28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
So do you think those who disobey their parents deserve death? How about homosexuals? Do you think they deserve death?

Monkey13 said:
jon_mx said:
timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Never heard of him, but I guess if one is they all must be. :popcorn:
Does disliking people who preach and spread bigotry make one a bigot?I don't think it does. I think it makes one not a bigot.
Teaching a behavior is sinful does not mean you hate that person or is bigoted towards them. Judging a group of people based on the actions of a few I think does.
Xboth do.

In fact implying that sin exists is someone bigoted, as most who are religious are clearly bigoted agaisnt pagans like miself...

EphesiansGalatians 5:25 - 33 refers to how a husband is to love his wife. If you read the entire passage of Scripture you will see the entire context. It has no application to eating disorders or people hating themselves. I really don't understand your point.
Yet there it is, a phrase that states "no one ever hated their bodies". The point is that you stated that you believe that the bible is inerrant, 100% true, every word from God. Yet here you are discarding about the most unambiguous phrase in the entire book because it is demonstratively false with trivial amount of effort.

To your point about homosexuality I'd encourage you to read Romans 1:24-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, and 1 Timothy 1:9-11. It is pretty clear to me :popcorn:
I'd encourage you to understand that only God knows what arsenokoitai means. That crosses off two of those. They might include homosexuality in some form but it is impossible to honestly call these clear. And, you are pulling Romans 1:24-27 out of the context of verse after verse of idolatrous religious worship and rituals.

I guess I just understand the words and phrases clear, 100% true, every word, no one, etc. differently than you do.

Users who are viewing this thread