What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freaks and Geeks (1 Viewer)

I rewatched this on Netflix a few months ago; still great. But I'm kinda happy that it after one perfect season. I feel that this type of show easily jumps the shark with any additional seasons if characters graduate and grow up.
As time has gone on, I tend to agree here. I was bummed for a long time that we barely got 20 episodes of this show, but in hindsight if they let the story go on, it would have gotten stale quickly.

Part of its appeal is that it did a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am and left longing for more.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Damnit, whatever happened to Linda Cardellini?

She needs to be in something, love her.
Haven't seen her since she showed up in Mad Men a season or two back.

Love the episode when he tries out for the band with his 20 piece drum set and they troll him the entire time.
Here's another great drum (and life) scene with Lindsay's dad that I totally forgot about:

Love the episode when he tries out for the band with his 20 piece drum set and they troll him the entire time.
Here's another great drum (and life) scene with Lindsay's dad that I totally forgot about:

Great scene

Watching clips makes me sad it was cut to only one season
I addressed this in the sitcom thread. While I agree it's a shame it was only one season, the last episode was kind of a perfect ending.

Two of the "lost" characters, Nick and Daniel, find themselves after moving away from their "freak" lifestyle. Nick on the disco dance floor. I love the scene of Daniel joining the Geeks for a game of Dungeons and Dragons and actually enjoying himself and "fitting in".

and then Lindsey getting off the bus to Michigan University and hopping into a car with Kim and the other two to tour with the Dead to continue her journey into "freakdom".

This show was so special - its so funny and so emotional and the actors all nail their parts perfectly - and the music is amazing. There's just so many great and memorable scenes like this one,

I just found this show recently when we got Paramount Plus and I was looking for something to watch. I’ve enjoyed it (about 7 or 8 episodes in) but my wife doesn’t like it much.

While I agree it's a shame it was only one season, the last episode was kind of a perfect ending.
In the comments below that Homecoming clip I posted above, someone encapsulated it perfectly why it's better that it ended when it did, despite us wanting for more:

Shame that this was canceled after only one season. But it's always better for a show to leave people wanting more than the opposite. We can use our imaginations to fill in what came after rather than having our expectations dashed by subpar follow-up seasons that might have compromised the original vision of the series in pursuit of wider audiences.

Show is on Hulu, think I’m going to go back and watch and see if it still holds up for me. Mr Weir was a great TV dad. One part that stuck with me was the talk he gives to Lindsay when Nick stays with them and she complains that her father is better to Nick than he is her. He explains to her that Nick’s dad is a “hard” man. She says something along the lines of…….i know what that’s like. He dead eye looks at her and says…….no you don’t. Think many of us grew up in the 80s with fathers who would be classified as abusive today so i remember that scene well and he nailed it.

Show is on Hulu, think I’m going to go back and watch and see if it still holds up for me. Mr Weir was a great TV dad. One part that stuck with me was the talk he gives to Lindsay when Nick stays with them and she complains that her father is better to Nick than he is her. He explains to her that Nick’s dad is a “hard” man. She says something along the lines of…….i know what that’s like. He dead eye looks at her and says…….no you don’t. Think many of us grew up in the 80s with fathers who would be classified as abusive today so i remember that scene well and he nailed it.
Not sure, but that Neil Peart scene above may have been from that episode.

Not sure, but that Neil Peart scene above may have been from that episode.
I believe it is

And his interactions with Nick (i.e. bringing him the Gene Krupa record) was great as well.

I just found this show recently when we got Paramount Plus and I was looking for something to watch. I’ve enjoyed it (about 7 or 8 episodes in) but my wife doesn’t like it much.
How old is your wife out of curiosity? That could be a factor.
I'm guessing either 15 or 89
I’m 53, she’s 51.

She doesn’t have my humor. I love The Office, she hates it. I laughed out loud at Napoleon Dynamite, she rolled her eyes.

She hasn’t said she hates F’s&G’s but she “understands why it only lasted one season”.

I’m 53, she’s 51.

She doesn’t have my humor. I love The Office, she hates it. I laughed out loud at Napoleon Dynamite, she rolled her eyes.

She hasn’t said she hates F’s&G’s but she “understands why it only lasted one season”.
Yeah, I’d divorce her.

j/k: I guess it doesn’t resonate with everyone, but everyone I know who’s watched it, loved it.

I’m a fan of Judd Apatow’s movies, but I’ve never seen freaks and geeks. Thanks to the bumping of this thread, and the fact that my wife is out of town, I binged the first 12 episodes over the last two days. There have been a couple things that have bugged me, but I think that‘s due in large part to me binge watching it and wouldn’t have been as evident had I been watching it one episode a week. But that aside, what a fantastic show. It feels so authentic, and the cast just owns their roles in such a genuine way. But the real star of the show to me is the soundtrack. So much thought had to go into song selection - it’s damn near perfect.

Last edited:
Great show that went before its time.

I was reading somewhere that Apatow had planned for the Geeks to grow apart due to Coach Fredricks hooking up with Bill's mom. IIRC, Coach would have found that Bill actually had a talent for baseball, would have encouraged it and Bill was going to become very good at it; and in the process become more of a Big Man on Campus.

There have been a couple things that have bugged me
Don't be shy, let us critique your critiques!

There’s a string of episodes where the story lines just feel repetitive watching them back to back (geeks get tormented AGAIN at school, freaks get good girl in trouble AGAIN, guidance counselor has the same conversation with good girl AGAIN). Sure, it’s probably realistic, but when you watch six episodes in six hours instead of over six weeks, I don’t think it’s as effective. But other than that gripe, and it’s a minor one, I’ve really really enjoyed the show. Pretty much every character is fantastic. And the ways in which the characters have grown and matured over time is so authentic in its nuance and subtlety.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Super attractive as Will Ferrell's wife in both of the Daddy's Home movies. (And yes, I realize I'm responding to a nine-year old post).

I graduated in 89 and grew up in the Cleveland area. Different era than F’s&G’s but same region. Terms for various groups I grew up with in high school were, “Stoners” “Jocks” “Preps”. We used the words Freak and Geek but not to identify a group of people.

Still loving the show. Wife is still rolling her eyes.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Super attractive as Will Ferrell's wife in both of the Daddy's Home movies. (And yes, I realize I'm responding to a nine-year old post).
She is Hawkeye's wife too

I graduated in 89 and grew up in the Cleveland area. Different era than F’s&G’s but same region. Terms for various groups I grew up with in high school were, “Stoners” “Jocks” “Preps”. We used the words Freak and Geek but not to identify a group of people.

Still loving the show. Wife is still rolling her eyes.

88 grad here and I spent 8th, 9th and 10th grade in Central Ohio and I think they really nail the Midwest vibe from that era (granted the time period is slightly different than the one I experienced).

SaintsInDome2006 said:

She has an amazing smile too, which only enhances her beauty.

Just started rewatching it with my wife who has never seen it thanks to this latest bump. It’s so good. But how did Seth Rogan get in?

Watching episode 10 (The Diary) which also deals with Bill not getting to play short stop in gym class. A few subtle touches I loved:

1. Neal’s dad asking the boys if they had their shoes on and they show him their tube socks and Bill’s socks are full of holes.

2. The prank calls. Something today’s generation will never know. Use to love making prank phone calls.

3. When they are pranking the gym teacher, you hear the theme songs of classic 70’s and 80’s tv shows, Different Strokes and What’s Happening.

Might have seen a few smiles from the wife as well! She might be turning the corner!

I’m 53, she’s 51.

I know ND isn't for everyone, but the others? This makes me wonder what kinds of shows she does like.

Rewatching. Forgot Ben Foster was Eli.
So heartbreaking the way the kids treated him in the pilot - but unfortunately realistic and that’s the beauty of the show.
Yup. There was a similar kid in my high school who was treated almost identically. Loved her dancing with him at the end Still can’t believe that’s a young Ben Foster.
And that look of admiration Busy Phillips gave her - perfect.

Great show that went before its time.

I was reading somewhere that Apatow had planned for the Geeks to grow apart due to Coach Fredricks hooking up with Bill's mom. IIRC, Coach would have found that Bill actually had a talent for baseball, would have encouraged it and Bill was going to become very good at it; and in the process become more of a Big Man on Campus.

Sometimes things that end prematurely are done a world of service by the external restraints.

I think as a moment in time, Freaks and Geeks remains a great show for its ending the way it does. No need to rewind it back with the young kids growing apart. Freaks and Geeks wound up being everything that The Wonder Years tried to be, just at a later moment in time—and it was all because of the three young kids and them not aging out during the show.

Users who are viewing this thread