What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Futurama' given a new future on Comedy Central (1 Viewer)

perry147

Footballguy
Link

Futurama' given a new future on Comedy Central

Death isn't what it used to be for animated TV shows.

Comedy Central has struck a deal with Twentieth Century Fox Television to air 26 new episodes of "Futurama," the animated comedy from "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening that was canceled by the Fox network in 2003 after a four-season run. The first new half-hour episode of the comedy about a 20th century pizza delivery boy who wakes up in the 30th century will air in mid-2010.

Its rebirth mirrors that of fellow Twentieth animated series "Family Guy," which was canceled by Fox in 2002 and then revived by the network in 2005 after proving a major hit on DVD and in cable.

"Futurama" has enjoyed similar success, initially on reruns on Carton Network's Adult Swim from 2003 until the end of 2007, then on Comedy Central starting last year.

In addition, Twentieth Century Fox produced four straight-to-DVD "Futurama" movies last year, all of which aired on the cable network.

Comedy Central may not be the only home for the second life of "Futurama." Twentieth's deal with the cable network gives it the rights to sell the newly produced episodes to a broadcast network as well -- given the series' history and the networks' corporate ties to the studio, Fox would be the most likely candidate.

Revivals of canceled series are extremely rare and, as evidenced by the fate of "Jericho" on CBS last year, usually don't result in better ratings. But for animated comedies with a devoted core of young male viewers who devour reruns on cable and online, death is turning out to be a temporary state of affairs.

Because they don't take much time from the actors who do voice-over work, it's also much easier to bring back cast members who might have moved on to other projects.

" It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?"

" It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?"
Love that one.

With this being the last year of The Simpsons & King of The Hill, I thought I was done with animated series.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. :bye:

There was a rumor of this on IGN yesterday but they were saying only 13 episodes. :towelwave:

"It's like a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!"

You're a great dog. You don't judge me like all the other dogs. You're always there for me - like that giant mushroom in my shower.

Gentlemen, today some of you will die for your country. A select few of you will be forced through a fine mesh screen for your country. Those will be the luckiest men of all.

Fry: "Amy, you know how when chocolate is really good, but suddenly it wants to start hanging out with you all the time?"

Amy: "Are you breaking up with me?"

Fry: "Would chocolate let me finish?!"

Just a heads up, and I hate to bring bad news, but I just got a notice for auditions to voice all of the characters in Futurama. Apparently it's an entire recast.

Thursday, Jul. 16, 2009, 5:54 PM Pacific

FUTURAMA

Voice Over

Episodic

1/2 hour animated comedy for Twentieth Century Fox Television

SAG

Creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen

Casting Director: Scott Muller

Shoot/Start Date: August

Pay Rate: TBD

SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY

OR

FOR SUBMISSION OF AUDIO ONLY (MP3S ON CD PLEASE) KING OF THE HILL

ATTN: SCOTT MULLER

15821 VENTURA BLVD.

ENCINO, CA

VOICE AUDITIONS MAY BE SENT IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS:

1. MP3 AUDIO AUDITIONS ONLINE IN WHATEVER MEANS IS CONVENIENT FOR YOU.

2. MP3 AUDIO AUDITIONS ON CD.

3.EMAILED AS ATTACHMENTS TO: FUTURAMA@SCOTTMULLERCASTING.COM (NOTE: PLEASE USE THIS METHOD SPARINGLY, ATTACHMENTS NOT TO EXCEED 5 MB) AUDITIONS SHOULD BE SENT ASAP AS WE WILL BE MOVING QUICKLY. PRODUCER SESSIONS WILL BE HELD AT A DATE TBD.

We are starting casting immediately for Futurama, a half-hour animated comedy created by Matt Groening and David X. Cohen. Descriptions of these established characters follow, along with links to clips of previous episodes for reference.

SERIES REGULAR ROLES:

[ PHILIP J. FRY (FRY) ]

Fry, a 20th century slacker, works as a pizza delivery boy. On December 21st, 1999, he is cryogenically frozen and wakes up 1000 years in the future in the city of New New York. Through a series of events, Fry tracks down his great (x30) nephew Professor Hubert Farnsworth and lands a job at the Professors Planet Express delivery company as a delivery boy. Fry bunks with Planet Expresss beer-swilling robot, Bender. Fry is constantly trying to win the heart of Leela, the companys ship captain...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....lashback-freeze (Episode 5ACV03)

[ TURANGA LEELA (LEELA) ]

Leela, a sexy Cyclops, is the captain of the Planet Express delivery ship. Leela is in charge of every company mission, having her hands full keeping Fry and Bender in line. Her early years were spent in an orphanage where she was a bit of an outcast for having one eye. She took up kickboxing and other similar sports to make up for the lack of friends. She still has problems with men and often gets jealous of Amys (her co-worker) popularity among the opposite sex. She has a soft spot for Fry but is unsure of anything further than that, due to Frys clumsy advances...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....leelas-timeline (Episode 4ACV02)

[ BENDER BENDING RODRIQUEZ (BENDER) ]

Bender, a cigar-smoking, booze-guzzling, kleptomaniac robot, had a successful career in bending girders but tired to kill himself when he found out the girders were being used for suicide booths. He was saved by Fry and later took a job at Planet Express. To be able to function properly, Bender needs the chemical energy from alcohol. Excessive drinking is mandatory or he will become sober and unable to control his body. Magnets stuck to his head make him sing like a folk singer...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....ender-the-drone (Episode 5ACV05)

[ PROFESSOR HUBERT FARNSWORTH (PROFESSOR) ]

Professor Hubert Farnsworth is the owner of the Planet Express delivery company, which he uses to fund his strange scientific experiments. He also lectures at Mars University on the mathematics of quantum neutrino fields (he made up the name so no one would dare take the course). He is technically 160 years old, but to avoid being picked up by the sunset squad and taken to the near death star he says he is only 150...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....=back-in-action (Episode 5ACV01)

[ DR. JOHN ZOIDBERG (ZOIDBERG) ]

Dr. Zoidberg, a lobster-like alien, left his home planet of Decapod 10 to become a rich doctor but instead became the Planet Express staff doctor (doesnt pay so well). Zoidberg, who is usually shunned by the rest of the Planet Express crew, is always in search of his next meal. His skill as a surgeon, and basic knowledge of human anatomy, are often called into question. He secretly desires to become a stand-up comedian...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....le=love-lessons (Episode 2ACV05)

FUTURAMA RECURRING ROLES:

[ MOM ]

Mom is the very old, very rich, very ruthless founder of Moms Friendly Robot Company. She has three sons: Walt, Larry, and Igner, who work for the company and help Mom do her dirty work. Many years ago, Farnsworth worked for Moms Friendly Robot Company, and they had a fling, which ended when Mom kept turning Farnsworths cute inventions into mad, killing machines...RECURRING

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....tle=mothers-day (Episode 2ACV14)

[ ZAPP BRANNIGAN ]

Zapp Brannigan is a 25-star General of the Democratic Order of Planets and has been responsible for several successful wars including a triumph over the pacifists of the Ghandi Nebula. He is always accompanies on mission by his hapless assistant Kif Kroker. Behind all his bravado he is a wimp who is not very intelligent. He once slept with Leela, a fact hat he constantly reminds her of...RECURRING

http://www.hulu.com/watch/60311/futurama-zapp-in-the-shower (Episode 2ACV17)

[ KIF KROKER (KIF) ]

Kif Kroker is a hard working, long suffering alien Lieutenant of the DOOP who does all the hard work and takes the rap for problems usually caused by Zapp Brannigan (his superior officer). Zapp considers Kif to be his most loyal friend however, Kif in fact views Zapp as an imbecile. He is smitten with his current girlfriend Amy. He has no bones and is supported by a system of inflated bladders...RECURRING

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4471/futurama-kif-is-pregnant (Episode 4ACV01)

Just a heads up, and I hate to bring bad news, but I just got a notice for auditions to voice all of the characters in Futurama. Apparently it's an entire recast.
Oh bull####!
They better find a Peggy Segal clone for Leela and Bender better still sound like Bender. He starts sounding like Garfield and it's :boxing: time.
I hope it's not like when they changed Woody Woodpecker's voice, that basicly ruined it for me.

Oh bull####!
They better find a Peggy Segal clone for Leela and Bender better still sound like Bender. He starts sounding like Garfield and it's :boxing: time.
Interesting...Howard Stern was just on an extended vacation and they did the History of Howard Stern Part II, and one episode featured former castmate Billy West (Fry, etc).

Billy himself had commentary on some of his stuff, and included were some comments on the variety of voices he does, and he said he specifically made Fry sound most like his own natural voice than any character he ever did, for the sole purpose of making it more difficult to have the voiceover for Fry re-cast.

So much for that idea.

I'm pretty sure I have no interest in watching this without Billy West and Katey Sagal involved.

FWIW, here's a June article interviewing both of them on the return of their show.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/06/22/katey-sa...rn-of-futurama/

I wonder if something went sideways in contract negotiations.

As you might imagine, this is huge news within the world of voiceovers with many people urging other VO's not to audition so the original cast can be paid what they're worth. Similar to what happened to The Simpsons when they held firm as a group. I don't watch the show but couldn't imagine a whole recast if I was a fan.

As you might imagine, this is huge news within the world of voiceovers with many people urging other VO's not to audition so the original cast can be paid what they're worth. Similar to what happened to The Simpsons when they held firm as a group. I don't watch the show but couldn't imagine a whole recast if I was a fan.
So are you gonna audition?

Users who are viewing this thread