What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garrett Hartley Appreciation Thread - Week 15 (1 Viewer)

i would like to know by saturday afternoon is he's going to kick next week. i have only a couple of moves left for the last 3 weeks. i went out of my way to get hartley this week and dropped dan carpenter. still worked out today, but ... really need him to kick the last 3 weeks.
My guess is that you'll know in plenty of time for Saturday's contest. Pure speculation here but I think Hartley retains the job for at least Week 15. Five reasons 1) He didn't miss either of his 2 FG tries Sunday, he made them both 2) Carney has looked worse, missing an XP and several "gimme" FG's (and barely making other chip shots 3) Hartley looked shaky in warmups but they still went w/ him anyway when they could have changed right back to Carney 4) They didn't make the change to Hartley only to go right back to Carney after one kick. It was a long time coming, and I believe the Saints knew it would mess w/ the chemistry of the kicking game if they were to keep alternating bewteen Carney & Hartley, so they took their time with the intention of the move being permanent barring disaster 5) Hartley has a much stronger leg, and you never know when you'll need to knock down a game winning 50 yarder
that has been the case since week 6, when hartley came back, yet payton stuck with carney for a long time.
All 5 reasons I gave combine for the impetus to make the switch. The strong leg alone was not enough, you're right. When Carney started missing chip shots, Hartley became a more attractive option. The fact that he can kick a 50 yarder helped his case.

Will be watching the inactives closely. Will change thread title around 6 pm CST/7 pm EST to reflect the latest developments.

i guess i dont really see what the gamble is here? regardless if carney is active, if hartley is active, hes the guy.

i guess i dont really see what the gamble is here? regardless if carney is active, if hartley is active, hes the guy.
He's the guy until he re-injures his hip. That's what I'm scared of, even if he is active. Also worried that NO may take some chances on 4th and 1-4 if they are bordering on a 50 yard field goal.

And if they give Carney the first shot but are willing to yank him if he messed up? I wouldn't be playing either unless one is inactive.

Carney: INACTIVE

Hartley: ACTIVE

Well, with Carney inactive, that makes me feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboys @ Saints Inactives

SAINTS INACTIVES -- K John Carney, S Usama Young, CB Marcus McCauley, CB Jabari Greer, LB Anthony Waters, OG Jamar Nesbit, TE Jeremy Shockey, and DT Sedrick Ellis.

COWBOYS INACTIVES -- QB Stephen McGee (emergency QB), S Patrick Watkins, CB Cletus Gordon, OG Montrae Holland, OC Duke Preston, OT Marc Colombo, TE Martellus Bennett and LB Curtis Johnson.

Saints released K John Carney.

Carney's departure was a fait accompli after he was replaced by Hartley three weeks ago. The Saints were going to use two roster spots on kickers during the playoffs, and Hartley has been the more reliable option. Carney could draw interest in Dallas if Shaun Shuisham falters.

good to know i don't have to worry about this for the next 2 weeks. i could have seen them resting hartley's hip in week 17 if they had kept carney around.

It's pretty obvious by now how badly the Saints screwed up here.

John Carney was not only the heart and soul of the new Orleans Saints. He was their voodoo charm.

Had they not benched and cut Carney, they'd almost certainly still be undefeated.

:unsure:

Clutch kick for Hartley under an enormous amount of pressure. Sure, it wasn't a 50+ yarder, but he had the weight of the city of New Orleans on his shoulders. I heard on ESPN this morning that he couldn't sleep the night before the game and told his dad he was convinced he would kick a 42-yarder to win the game. He almost predicted that perfectly...

Users who are viewing this thread