What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gates owners: concerned by the double teaming? (1 Viewer)

Benicio10

Footballguy
It seems as if Belichick wrote the blueprint on how to slow down Gates, especially in the red zone, with that press coverage double team. KC used the same strategy last night. Does this hurt his value, or will SD find a way to combat it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems as if Belichick wrote the blueprint on how to slow down Gates, especially in the red zone, with that press coverage double team. KC used the same strategy last night. Does this hurt his value, or will SD find a way to combat it?
Next queston....

Next queston....
Well, is it fair to point out career accolades and ignore this year's injuries? He looks heavier/slower, but still performed on the field vs. single coverage. But when he was pressed by 2 defenders at the line, Rivers looked elsewhere. Any insight?

I don't remember him being double teamed in such an extreme manner in the past. I'm sure whoever was on him probably had safety help, etc. in the past, but this looked different.

It almost looked like he was the gunner on a punt team the way they had 2 guys up at the line of scrimmage pushing him.

I don't remember him being double teamed in such an extreme manner in the past. I'm sure whoever was on him probably had safety help, etc. in the past, but this looked different.It almost looked like he was the gunner on a punt team the way they had 2 guys up at the line of scrimmage pushing him.
I'm curious as to when teams are going to employ this look against Calvin Johnson.

If Rivers would actually look to his WRs as he has in the past, it would open up Gates a little more. But while he continues to throw to Gates in double and triple coverage nothing will change.

Worried? Not about Gates. About Rivers and WTH he is doing.

If he's getting me 60-80 yds and looks in the endzone, I'm ok with that type of production from a tight end. Not the Gates of old but still one of the better fantasy tight ends out there.

I don't remember him being double teamed in such an extreme manner in the past. I'm sure whoever was on him probably had safety help, etc. in the past, but this looked different.It almost looked like he was the gunner on a punt team the way they had 2 guys up at the line of scrimmage pushing him.
I'm curious as to when teams are going to employ this look against Calvin Johnson.
KC does this against most teams that have an elite pass catcher. They did it to Gates in the second half in the first game of the season last year as well. It's a bit extreme. The safety can't help anywhere else, but it will likely be effective in shutting down one player.I don't see how teams could consistently do this to SD with Vincent Jackson on the field. I kept waiting for Rivers to torch them in single coverage.
Double teams should work if he can't separate anymore. He looks fat and slow.
He basically got robbed of a TD and would be 100 yard game. Keep in mind he probably wasn't doing too much running on his foot while he's been out.

I don't think he's fat, but he is slower than what he was due to injury. He was elite at this same size during the beginning of last year, IMO.

'BassNBrew said:
I'm pretty sure unless there's an elite DB on him, he'll still get plenty of catches. He's proven he can out-run and out-jump any kind of coverage. Not to mention, they've started playing him in the slot more.

'Benicio10 said:
'kencav said:
'Benicio10 said:
Next queston....
Well, is it fair to point out career accolades and ignore this year's injuries? He looks heavier/slower, but still performed on the field vs. single coverage. But when he was pressed by 2 defenders at the line, Rivers looked elsewhere. Any insight?
Did you notice how much time Rivers had last night? He was rarely pressured in the pocket and I'm sure that a part of this was the Chiefs 'wasting' a LB double teaming Gates. Rivers will eventually come out of his slump if this kind of coverage continues.

In addition to his recorded catches, Gates had a one handed back-shoulder TD that was called back on a ridiculous pass interference call where the defender was holding Gates' other arm (the ref called Gates for the PI). Gates will be top 5 TE as long as he's healthy.

Not concerned... he is still producing big. They can't double team him all of the time, and even if they do... he still seems to be able to produce. I am much more concerned with Philip River's horrible throws and decision making.

If I'm the OC, and I know they're going to have 2 guys bump him at the LOS, I spread him out wide and use him as a decoy until they get burned by single coverage. In any case, he'll still get some catches along the sideline.

If I'm the OC, and I know they're going to have 2 guys bump him at the LOS, I spread him out wide and use him as a decoy until they get burned by single coverage. In any case, he'll still get some catches along the sideline.
Or bettr yet why didn't the put him in motion when 3 guys where in from of him in the slot? Wtf

Gates has always been one of my favorite players. So athletic and, in my view, helped elevate the position over the last decade. However, he has clearly lost a step due to injury, mostly, but also father time. He is still an elite tight end and will likely be a red zone threat the rest of his career, but there is no doubt he has regressed over the last year.

I blame the injury and it is really a shame. The guy could have challenged the TE records if he could have found a way to stay healthy. He didn't and is now relying on pure raw talent. The problem is that teams are doubling him now and given that he has lost a step it is getting harder for him to beat the coverage.

I will still roll with him every week as, as someone already mentioned, he is still a top TE with predictable production when healthy. I just won't be targeting him as steal in the 3rd/4th anymore come draft time.

I love the guy. I hope he gets through the rest of this year relatively healthy and comes back next year close to 100%. The guy is a pure football player.

5 for 103 and a TD and this thread doesn't occur

one horrible PI call and we question a HOFer still close to the top of his production bell curve?

5 for 103 and a TD and this thread doesn't occurone horrible PI call and we question a HOFer still close to the top of his production bell curve?
This guy.Also, I find it funny that everyone is all gung ho about Tony Gonzalez (who is 4 years older than gates). Both are some of the best TEs ever, and I personally think that Gonzo has lost more of a step (non-injury speed/agility/routes) than Gates in recent years. Both will permanently be red zone nightmares, as discussed. The true question is, will the plantar fasciitis(sp?) be gone by next year. I personally thought it was 100% gone this year and traded for him in 2 leagues. TL;DR - As long as he is healthy, he is a top 5 TE, easily.

Or bettr yet why didn't the put him in motion when 3 guys where in from of him in the slot? Wtf
He was in motion several times last night.
I didn't see one single time he was put in motion because I remember thinking exactly the same thing as BSS. Though I'll admit I could have just missed it. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

5 for 103 and a TD and this thread doesn't occurone horrible PI call and we question a HOFer still close to the top of his production bell curve?
Typical example of someone just reading the statline and not watching the performance

Typical example of someone just reading the statline and not watching the performance
Please elaborate.I watched the game and think that despite being shadowed by two guys on nearly every RZ opportunity, he still was one bad call away from a big statline.

They were using a LB to double Gates. Which you can do because Gates is close to the line. Hard to do that to Johnson lined up wide. That would open up way too much of the middle of the field.

Green Bay is going to be so focused on avoiding a continuation of their league-high 20+ yard passing plays allowed that they'll allow virtually everything underneath. Gates is going to have a career day.

Team source: 'Slow and fat' Gates a big problem in San Diego

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Published: Nov. 7, 2011 at 11:29 a.m. Updated: Nov. 7, 2011 at 11:47 a.m.

The slumping San Diego Chargers are dealing with plenty of problems these days, but we didn't think to count All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates among them.

But one team source singled out Gates in diagnosing the ills that have befallen the 4-4 Chargers.

“It’s harsh to say, but he looks old and fat,” the source told Yahoo! Sports in a story posted Monday. “He’s not beating people. We don’t have any speed, we’re soft on defense, and we put so much on our quarterback. When he was playing great, we could kind of get away with it. Now he’s not playing very well, and it’s all falling apart.”

(You have to love the guy who qualifies a statement with "It's harsh to say", then completely buries one of his team's longtime stars.)

Gates has been a steady producer since returning to the lineup in Week 7 -- including eight catches for 96 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's loss to the Packers -- but the chronic foot ailment that blew up his 2010 season has followed him into 2011. He's already missed three games with the issue, and it's clear by his practice schedule that the Chargers are treating him like a piece of fine china.

Meanwhile, we wouldn't be surprised if Gates is asking around team headquarters this week, trying to find the driver who backed the bus over him. It'd be especially ironic if said unnamed source was old and/or fat.

If Gates is indeed old and fat, it doesn't appear to be dramatically impacting his fantasy production. He's still a top 3-4 tight end going forward.

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

The slumping San Diego Chargers are dealing with plenty of problems these days, but we didn't think to count All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates among them.

But one team source singled out Gates in diagnosing the ills that have befallen the 4-4 Chargers.

“It’s harsh to say, but he looks old and fat,” the source told Yahoo! Sports in a story posted Monday. “He’s not beating people. We don’t have any speed, we’re soft on defense, and we put so much on our quarterback. When he was playing great, we could kind of get away with it. Now he’s not playing very well, and it’s all falling apart.”

(You have to love the guy who qualifies a statement with "It's harsh to say", then completely buries one of his team's longtime stars.)

Gates has been a steady producer since returning to the lineup in Week 7 -- including eight catches for 96 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's loss to the Packers -- but the chronic foot ailment that blew up his 2010 season has followed him into 2011. He's already missed three games with the issue, and it's clear by his practice schedule that the Chargers are treating him like a piece of fine china.

Meanwhile, we wouldn't be surprised if Gates is asking around team headquarters this week, trying to find the driver who backed the bus over him. It'd be especially ironic if said unnamed source was old and/or fat.
Who is the backup TE? Is he young and thin?

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Who is the source? ericttspikes?

Users who are viewing this thread