What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gates tore plantar fascia (1 Viewer)

I just traded for Gates, so he'll probably shut it down this week and won't do anything for the rest of the year.
And i just traded him away lol... so i might be ok with that. Can't believe I traded the best TE in Football. Really hoping I don't regret it. Regardless, back on topic, still curious as to news today on him.

San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner said he did not know if TE Antonio Gates will be able to play during Week 9, reports The Associated Press. "In the last three weeks he's had one day of practice," Turner said of his star tight end. Turner wasn't sure if Gates would be able to practice Friday, Nov. 5, but said Gates was improving. "The foot is there but the toe is the issue. He's trying to deal with both things right now," Turner added. "He's getting better from where he was on Monday. That was the worst day he's had throughout this period in terms of pain."

San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner said he did not know if TE Antonio Gates will be able to play during Week 9, reports The Associated Press. "In the last three weeks he's had one day of practice," Turner said of his star tight end. Turner wasn't sure if Gates would be able to practice Friday, Nov. 5, but said Gates was improving. "The foot is there but the toe is the issue. He's trying to deal with both things right now," Turner added. "He's getting better from where he was on Monday. That was the worst day he's had throughout this period in terms of pain."
This actually sounds far more enocouraging for Gates owners. I personally think SD should rest him the next two weeks no matter what but they need a win in the worst way and Gates is a beast and he probably wants to go despite whatever pain he has.I'm still leaning towards sitting him banking that Gates may play more of a decoy role if he is in there, but this is harder than most decisions I will make in my life this year.

This actually sounds far more enocouraging for Gates owners. I personally think SD should rest him the next two weeks no matter what but they need a win in the worst way and Gates is a beast and he probably wants to go despite whatever pain he has.I'm still leaning towards sitting him banking that Gates may play more of a decoy role if he is in there, but this is harder than most decisions I will make in my life this year.
:rolleyes: This is like life or death!If the guy plays, I'm playing him. I already did this a couple weeks ago and wound up :unsure:

I'm really with sitting Gates or starting Hernandez. Gates has carried my team all year, not sure if I win without him. ;)

Gates is listed as doubtful. Look elsewhere this week, guys.

@JasonLaCanfora

Chargers list Gates, Floyd and Naanee as doubtful. Would be surprised if any of them plays

edited to add tweet

Last edited by a moderator:
Gates is listed as doubtful. Look elsewhere this week, guys.@JasonLaCanforaChargers list Gates, Floyd and Naanee as doubtful. Would be surprised if any of them playsedited to add tweet
Thanks for the info. As I'm sure everyone here will do, wait until the final word on Sunday before the game. He could get the feet loosened u and suit up, dude has played almost every game over the last 5 years.

As a Gates owner I'm happy he's sitting out this week. Better for him to rest and try to heal for two straight weeks than to try to tough it out. He's struggled throughout his career with plantar fascia injuries. Rest up Antonio, we'll hopefully see you in week 11.

As a Gates owner I'm happy he's sitting out this week. Better for him to rest and try to heal for two straight weeks than to try to tough it out. He's struggled throughout his career with plantar fascia injuries. Rest up Antonio, we'll hopefully see you in week 11.
This hasn't been established yet. Or has it? :confused:

This hasn't been established yet. Or has it? :confused:
Listed as doubtful: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81be...le=HP_headlines
The San Diego Chargers likely will be without star tight end Antonio Gates on Sunday against the Houston Texans because of a foot injury.

Gates sprained the plantar fascia in his right foot during last weekend's 33-25 victory over the Titans. He also has a turf-toe injury in his left foot. He didn't practice all week and is listed as doubtful on the Chargers' Friday injury report.

Gates has not missed a game this season and has amassed 40 receptions for 663 yards and nine touchdowns.

The Chargers will likely go another week without wide receivers Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee, who are both listed as doubtful. Naanee has missed three games while Floyd has sat out the past two contests.

For the rest of the Chargers' roster, kicker Nate Kaeding (groin) and linebacker Brandon Siler (foot) are listed as doubtful, while linebacker Larry English (foot) and receiver Richard Goodman (hamstring) are questionable. Linebacker Kevin Burnett (shoulder), guard Kris Dielman (neck) and cornerback Quentin Jammer (not injury related) are probable.
They say sprained, I've also read torn. Would love to know which one it is?

From Rotoworld- the bolded part is very telling:

Antonio Gates (feet) is listed as doubtful for Week 9.

As are Malcom Floyd (hamstring) and Legedu Naanee (hamstring). Per Bill Barnwell of the Football Outsiders, no Chargers starter listed as doubtful has ever been active on game day in Norv Turner's tenure as coach, so we can pretty safely say that Gates is out for Week 9. The Bolts will be forced to start late-career journeyman Randy McMichael at tight end. Expect Philip Rivers to rely heavily on wide receivers Patrick Crayton, Seyi Ajirotutu, and Gary Banks against the Texans

For those looking at McMichael, I wouldn't put much hope in any other Charger TE. After Gates went out in the 2nd Q of the St Louis game in Week 6 there wasn't a single completion and only 2 targets to a TE (McMichael). Sproles and Crayton will benefit the most in Gate's absence.

From Rotoworld- the bolded part is very telling:

Antonio Gates (feet) is listed as doubtful for Week 9.

As are Malcom Floyd (hamstring) and Legedu Naanee (hamstring). Per Bill Barnwell of the Football Outsiders, no Chargers starter listed as doubtful has ever been active on game day in Norv Turner's tenure as coach, so we can pretty safely say that Gates is out for Week 9. The Bolts will be forced to start late-career journeyman Randy McMichael at tight end. Expect Philip Rivers to rely heavily on wide receivers Patrick Crayton, Seyi Ajirotutu, and Gary Banks against the Texans
Interesting. Just put Hernandez in the lineup, but will definitely get Gates back in if he happens to be active on Sunday. No way you can sit this guy.

So if Gates is out, and Rivers still manages to get 300+ yards out of his decimated WR corp, can we start talking MVP?

San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates' toe injury worsened this week and he's doubtful for Sunday's game against the Houston Texans.Gates has been playing with the toe injury but this week must have had some setbacks. Also doubtful are wide receivers Legedu Naanee and Malcolm Floyd, who both have hamstring injuries.Kicker Nate Kaeding is out with a groin injury. Linebacker Brandon Siler is doubtful with a foot injury. Linebacker Larry English is questionable with a foot problem. Wide receiver Richard Goodman is questionable with a hamstring injury.
So how clueless is ESPN about Gates' injury?

I'm 42 and I've had all sorts of athletic injuries over the years, including torn acl, torn rotator cuff, broken collar bone... But THE WORST injury I've ever had, by a mile, was plantar fasciaitis. It's extremely painful and seemingly impossible to heal. I eventually had to wear a boot when I slept, and even then it took a good 6 months to completely heal (with almost total inactivity mind you). This is very bad news for Gates - no way to sugar coat it.

I'm 42 and I've had all sorts of athletic injuries over the years, including torn acl, torn rotator cuff, broken collar bone... But THE WORST injury I've ever had, by a mile, was plantar fasciaitis. It's extremely painful and seemingly impossible to heal. I eventually had to wear a boot when I slept, and even then it took a good 6 months to completely heal (with almost total inactivity mind you). This is very bad news for Gates - no way to sugar coat it.
Well folks, there we have it. If it took General Tso six months to recover I'm pretty Gates is done for the year.

What a rough year for the TE position. I feel the need to buy a goat, name it Jermichael and sacrifice it at dusk to appease the Fantasy Gods.

Rajon Rondo is currently playing with plantar fasciatis
Completely different situation. 1. He is a little guy. He's not putting all that weight on the arch, stretching the plantar fascia out as much as Gates is.2. Gates was already playing with plantar fasciitis, but tore a portion of it on Sunday.A better example would be Joakim Noah (a big, heavy individual), who had it last season and had to sit out a few months for it to heal enough for him to play limited minutes. He didn't completely heal until the off season, and his wasn't torn...

Antonio Gates (doubtful, toe/ankle/foot), who made the trip to Houston for Sunday's Chargers-Texans game, indicated Friday that he'll at least try to play in Week 9.

"We just have to wait to see how I feel," he said. "It might be an hour before the game now (when he status will be determined). I know it’s going to be tougher (to make a decision) than it was last week." We'll know Gates' status by noon ET Sunday. He'll be impossible to bench if he's active at Houston.

He is going to try to play it seems. I put him playing at 20%. I dont think anyone can compare their personal injury stories on plantar to Gates. This guy has dealt with foot issues for years. He is used to playing on less than 100% feet. Yes it's painful and highly doubtful he plays, but remember he's used to playing in pain and not 100%, which makes the numbers he puts up even more astounishing.

I wish they'd declare him in or not, but I can understand why they don't. Just like we are scrambling to figure out what is going on, so is Hou. The more they leave it out there, the more prep Houston has to do one way or the other.

My gut (which is very large) says he's out, and they are just playing games.

I wish they'd declare him in or not, but I can understand why they don't. Just like we are scrambling to figure out what is going on, so is Hou. The more they leave it out there, the more prep Houston has to do one way or the other.My gut (which is very large) says he's out, and they are just playing games.
Gates has said he's going to try and give it a go, so even SD doesnt know - Gates is a guy that usually plays through anything, so SD is letting him decide and why not? He is TE1 . . . the gameplanning aspect is secondary . . .

I grabbed Cooley off the wire to fill in on week 10.....someone just grabbed watson who was the best option left on the ww....play antonio!!!! PLAY!!! :confused:

BustedKnuckles said:
I just traded for Gates, so he'll probably shut it down this week and won't do anything for the rest of the year.
And i just traded him away lol... so i might be ok with that. Can't believe I traded the best TE in Football. Really hoping I don't regret it. Regardless, back on topic, still curious as to news today on him.
What did you get in return ?
I traded Gates/Reggie Bush/Sidney RiceforVernon Davis/Jahvid Best/James JonesOne of those "we'll see" trades. I'm worried about Gates and like Davis' schedule. (hoping his ankle is fine) I needed a RB to put with Gore and Matthews. And I just may start James Jones this week over Mike Williams/Fred Jackson.

If Gates doesn't go how do you think Randy McMichael will do?? Does he get a lot of looks??

If Gates doesn't go how do you think Randy McMichael will do?? Does he get a lot of looks??
do a quick search there's more than 1 thread on this... somebody had the very good info and that when gates was out at one point in an earlier game this year RM only had 2 targets... valid point.I'm a bit more bullish on him this week as I just think there has to be targets this week for him. And he's been practicing all week with Rivers.

Gates

Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee believes TE Antonio Gates (doubtful, toe) will play Sunday against Houston.

Gates reportedly looked good walking in early morning practice, prompting Acee to say "it's a safe bet he (Gates) will play." Owners should already have a contingency plan in place, and since we'll know his true status by noon ET Sunday he won't burn a hole in your lineup if he ends up sitting. For now, things are looking good for Gates, but be sure to check in tomorrow. Nov. 6 - 1:26 pm et

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread