What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill (3 Viewers)

533.8 or 12 - John Palumbo (Crack the Sky) - Blowing Up Detroit   (Motor City)

Spotify has the track listed under Crack the Sky, Palumbo's once and current band but it was originally released as a solo project in 1985 and became his only hit. 

To further confuse matters, the reunited Crack the Sky re-recorded the song this year.

ETA:  details are uninteresting to everyone including Palumbo

Last edited by a moderator:
these chix were tougher than 95% of all male bands in history. 

:boxing:
I read an interview where Mary Weiss told the tales of being on the road at fifteen/sixteen with all the other guy bands. Nothing salacious, just what life was like. Not real sheltered even with management, but they pretty much kept it cool with the men and the boys, apparently. Or they didn't kiss and tell, because the interview was pretty straight. I would link it, but I can't find it. Good read. 

I read an interview where Mary Weiss told the tales of being on the road at fifteen/sixteen with all the other guy bands. Nothing salacious, just what life was like. Not real sheltered even with management, but they pretty much kept it cool with the men and the boys, apparently. Or they didn't kiss and tell, because the interview was pretty straight. I would link it, but I can't find it. Good read. 

the onions on that kid, remarkable ... 15 yrs old, tough as nails - girl group royalty - ❤

i will scope that out  :thumbup:

Spotify has the track listed under Crack the Sky, Palumbo's once and current band but it was originally released as a solo project in 1985 and became his only hit. 

To further confuse matters, the reunited Crack the Sky re-recorded the song this year.
Brand New has a song called "Play Crack The Sky." I'm not sure if it references this band, or what its intention is, other than to describe a relationship gone wrong. Seems like a band reference, as the words don't really mean much but a lighting reference or an object in space reference. The song is nautical, though, so...

anyway, just something for META-static thoughts, though I think the category is closed. 

woodstock said:
Brand New has a song called "Play Crack The Sky." I'm not sure if it references this band, or what its intention is, other than to describe a relationship gone wrong. Seems like a band reference, as the words don't really mean much but a lighting reference or an object in space reference. The song is nautical, though, so...

anyway, just something for META-static thoughts, though I think the category is closed. 

Eligible for Public Transit.  Lyrics are about a shipwreck.

Leonard once said, "It's curious how songs begin because the origin of the song, every song, has a kind of grain or seed that somebody hands you or the world hands you and that's why the process is so mysterious about writing a song. But that came from just hearing or reading or knowing that in the death camps, beside the crematoria, in certain of the death camps, a string quartet was pressed into performance while this horror was going on, those were the people whose fate was this horror also. And they would be playing classical music while their fellow prisoners were being killed and burnt. So, that music, "Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin," meaning the beauty there of being the consummation of life, the end of this existence and of the passionate element in that consummation. But, it is the same language that we use for surrender to the beloved, so that the song -- it's not important that anybody knows the genesis of it, because if the language comes from that passionate resource, it will be able to embrace all passionate activity."

Round 534  🎻

Dance Me To The End Of Love - Leonard Cohen   (Songs to Play at the End of the World)   Spotify

Leonard once said, "It's curious how songs begin because the origin of the song, every song, has a kind of grain or seed that somebody hands you or the world hands you and that's why the process is so mysterious about writing a song. But that came from just hearing or reading or knowing that in the death camps, beside the crematoria, in certain of the death camps, a string quartet was pressed into performance while this horror was going on, those were the people whose fate was this horror also. And they would be playing classical music while their fellow prisoners were being killed and burnt. So, that music, "Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin," meaning the beauty there of being the consummation of life, the end of this existence and of the passionate element in that consummation. But, it is the same language that we use for surrender to the beloved, so that the song -- it's not important that anybody knows the genesis of it, because if the language comes from that passionate resource, it will be able to embrace all passionate activity."

Round 534  🎻

Dance Me To The End Of Love - Leonard Cohen   (Songs to Play at the End of the World)   Spotify
Oh dear. What is your muse, Leonard? 

Round 534 - X Offender - Blondie - Talk Radio 

Normally, I'd like a little more spoken word, but I already picked my best example in "Fun Tonight" by the Riverdales with Rev. Norb. There's a killer talk version during the intro of "Drugs and Masturbation" on a 7" by the very same Rev. Norb that Spotify doesn't have, so we get a little intro stuff from Blondie. 

Leonard once said, "It's curious how songs begin because the origin of the song, every song, has a kind of grain or seed that somebody hands you or the world hands you and that's why the process is so mysterious about writing a song. But that came from just hearing or reading or knowing that in the death camps, beside the crematoria, in certain of the death camps, a string quartet was pressed into performance while this horror was going on, those were the people whose fate was this horror also. And they would be playing classical music while their fellow prisoners were being killed and burnt.

Olivier Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time was written and originally performed while the composer was in a German concentration camp. It fits the category but would kill whatever groove this weird little playlist has. Would also qualify for Songs About Birds.

That Cohen video has a lot going on. Not sure what the burning violin was for or metaphor.

Round 534

Motor City

Told her that I came from Detroit city

And I played guitar in a long-haired rock and roll band

She asked me why the singers name was Alice

I said "listen baby,you really wouldn't understand".

Alice Cooper- Be My Lover
I am not a big Cooper fan but this might be his best. 

Eephus said:

ETA:  details are uninteresting to everyone including Palumbo
Great song, totally unfamiliar but I dug it. 

Round 534 - Motor City

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Dancing In The Street

Philadelphia, PA (dancing in the street)
Baltimore and D.C. now (dancing in the street)
Can't forget the Motor City (dancing in the street)
Essential Motor City song. If you were born in the Metro Detroit area, you came out the womb singing that song. 

And thank you. Not like it's hard or anything, just in the doldrums that I often slip into in the late summer where every task feels like it can wait. 

Thursday rolls

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 506, 316, 900, 743
Roll subtotal: 2465
Roll total: 2465

Somebody scream (Songs with screaming)

100K (Artists with less than 100,000 monthly streams)

Go Cat Go (Rockabilly Music)  - 5th roll

The Jose, Jim & Johnnie Show: Songs about alcohol and drinking

Motor City 

Sort of Deep Cuts Bonus of songs about Detroit from area based musicians

3: Blues on Belle Isle by The Gerald Wilson Orchestra 

Cass Tech grad and old school jazz great who spent his late career recording for a very small local label. Belle Isle an island off of Detroit that is a public park- our equivalent to Central Park. 

1: Windsor Hum by Protomatyr

It's been a long standing urban legend (or is it?) that from the right spots in Detroit, you can hear a disturbing hum (like the monolith from 2001) coming from Windsor which is right across the Detroit River. 

3: Romulus by Sufjan Stevens

Romulus is a small working class suburb of Detroit, the airport is actually located there and not in Detroit itself

Thursday rolls

Somebody scream (Songs with screaming)

100K (Artists with less than 100,000 monthly streams)

Go Cat Go (Rockabilly Music)  - 5th roll

The Jose, Jim & Johnnie Show: Songs about alcohol and drinking
Shouldn't Jose, Jim, and Johnnie be on their sixth roll? I thought we just had them at five. Could be dreaming. I picked "Doublewhiskeycokenoice" and made it a two-fer Dillinger Four day just about a few days ago. (A song I just realized I already picked for Aretha and Otis but not for the playlist. Whoops.) 

I only know of Blowing Up Detroit because Mrs. Eephus had a 45 of it back in the 80s. Always assumed they were from Detroit but they're apparently from West Virginia.
Yes, and the city where they have the biggest following is Baltimore. This is traced to Baltimore being the only city where their record company didn't screw up the distribution of their debut album. 

Yeah, my brother is going back in like a week and a half. 
I don't go back until September but so many days off (I do tutor a bit) in a row just kind makes time all blur together for me. Doing something today or 2 days or 2 weeks seems to make little difference. It's not a bad thing, I just feel a bit timeless. 

Users who are viewing this thread