What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

welp - bummer ...it's over - really loved this one - there's so much out there we could easily do it again in awhile - and no song taken can be taken again

not saying let's start tomorrow or anything - but it would still create a very cool and different playlist.

I like it. We could even do a combined US and British Isles Only Leftovers. But I've been working on my Catch All list. Gonna get irie some this time. I have 5 songs ready to go. :)

I've thought through this a lot, and I'm worried that because of the ineligibles from the US and UK, when added to places like Canada and the Antipodes, other countries are going to get short shrift in the catch-all. Almost thought it would be worth doing separate countdowns with the ineligibles. But it seems like some people already have their lists, so even if that were a good idea (I'm not certain), that ship has likely sailed.

I also wonder if we might want to break these up (especially since no one has volunteered to run the catch-all) and do another draft first instead, like the Beatles/Dylan cover or whatever.

Please just let me know which countdown or draft this is eligible
Germans love David Hasselhof.

Forgot to mention that I realized I love a second Pink Floyd song (in addition to "Wish You Were Here"): "On the Turning Away." I've had it stuck in my head for a few days.
I feel like if you did a deep dive on Floyd you'd love a few more songs.

I'm sure I would. I did like some others that were chosen, too, such as Sheep. I haven't listened to Dogs or Echoes yet or any other new ones that might have been in the final round.

welp - bummer ...it's over - really loved this one - there's so much out there we could easily do it again in awhile - and no song taken can be taken again

not saying let's start tomorrow or anything - but it would still create a very cool and different playlist.

I like it. We could even do a combined US and British Isles Only Leftovers. But I've been working on my Catch All list. Gonna get irie some this time. I have 5 songs ready to go. :)

I've thought through this a lot, and I'm worried that because of the ineligibles from the US and UK, when added to places like Canada and the Antipodes, other countries are going to get short shrift in the catch-all. Almost thought it would be worth doing separate countdowns with the ineligibles. But it seems like some people already have their lists, so even if that were a good idea (I'm not certain), that ship has likely sailed.

I also wonder if we might want to break these up (especially since no one has volunteered to run the catch-all) and do another draft first instead, like the Beatles/Dylan cover or whatever.

Please just let me know which countdown or draft this is eligible
What the actual flugelhorn did I just watch?

Forgot to mention that I realized I love a second Pink Floyd song (in addition to "Wish You Were Here"): "On the Turning Away." I've had it stuck in my head for a few days.
I feel like if you did a deep dive on Floyd you'd love a few more songs.

I'm sure I would. I did like some others that were chosen, too, such as Sheep. I haven't listened to Dogs or Echoes yet or any other new ones that might have been in the final round.
On the turning away is post Roger Waters, which I believe was the only one from that era selected. Learning to fly is probly the biggest single from the era, and a great song as well. Both songs are from 1987's A Momentary Lapse of Reason.....the first album without Waters. The Division Bell is the next album, and worth a listen for sure. That era of Floyd is definitely Gilmour driven......his signature guitar sound, dreamy, epic.

Time

I don't know for certain this is my favorite Floyd. I think there's a 20 song tie at the top of my list. I love Wish You Were Here, but it wouldn't be part of the tie. it's a good one, but it isn't what makes Floyd Floyd. Hell, even I can play the chords (after a dozen youtube tutorials and my 4th attempt in this life to learn guitar).

I chose Time because it seemed the best of the songs that fully encompass what I love about the band. The intro with fancy alarm clocks. The droning ominous bass notes setting the mood. Roger's message quickly followed by yet another great, tasteful and toneful perfect David solo. The soaring female backup singers. On Dark Side Roger's message(s) were more poetic than Animals.

You are young and life is long,
and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run,
you missed the starting gun
And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun

but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath
and one day closer to death

I interpret this as Roger writing about his yet revealed Sheep. Somewhere in my recent deep dive he said he wanted to be more direct with Animals. Just say it plainly (without the focus on poetic lyrics). He has a similar message for his dogs.

You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man
All alone and dying of cancer

Anyway, I miss my daily playlist already, and thought I'd something more to say.

All of this. Plus it's half of my favorite part of Dark Side of the Rainbow.

You can't stop us on our road to freedom
And you can't stop us 'cause our eyes can see
Men with insight, men in granite
Knights in armor intent on chivalry
Dusty Springfield does a cover, not quite as good as the original but close, where she adds a verse about “old Manhattan”. Not sure if she wrote those additional lyrics or if Van Morrison removed them from the original.

Don't the "ineligables" from our lists already contain a ton of other countries? I think a catch all for "everyone else" makes sense. There are some big names in Canada/Australia for sure, but assuming most stick to one per artist I think it can work fine - lots of Europe and Asia will be represented.

Edit: by the way, thank you so much for running these past two.

Don't the "ineligables" from our lists already contain a ton of other countries? I think a catch all for "everyone else" makes sense. There are some big names in Canada/Australia for sure, but assuming most stick to one per artist I think it can work fine - lots of Europe and Asia will be represented.

My point, which admittedly I didn't make well, was that the ineligibles were listed in a post that no one read for a reason, which is that people otherwise would have thought of them as US or UK artists, such as Van Halen for the US and Queen for the UK. In addition, the majority of those ineligibles were only partially ineligible, so we'll end up seeing artists that we've already covered in the first two. When we include those together with artists that are truly from other places, I'd be concerned that we'd end up with a list that "looks" like more of a US/UK list.

Again, I don't feel strongly, though.

My point, which admittedly I didn't make well, was that the ineligibles were listed in a post that no one read for a reason, which is that people otherwise would have thought of them as US or UK artists, such as Van Halen for the US and Queen for the UK. In addition, the majority of those ineligibles were only partially ineligible, so we'll end up seeing artists that we've already covered in the first two. When we include those together with artists that are truly from other places, I'd be concerned that we'd end up with a list that "looks" like more of a US/UK list.

If/when we do this, I’m going to focus on artists that are rather distinctly non US/UK, as opposed to artists with one off members that made the artist ineligible. But doesn’t matter what people do - it’s all about the discussion and learning about new music.

If/when we do this, I’m going to focus on artists that are rather distinctly non US/UK, as opposed to artists with one off members that made the artist ineligible. But doesn’t matter what people do - it’s all about the discussion and learning about new music.

I'm sure I'll have one or two songs that come from partially eligable/already-seen bands. But for the most part, I'll be going into new territory. And save for one guy I'll probably stick to one per.

Also, I'm guessing most people in that catch all will be vets of these two. Hopefully that will cut down on the repetative feel.

Assuming we even do this of course.

One song that's really grown me as a result of both this and Anarchy's drafts - Zeppellin's In The Evening. I hadn't listened to post Graffiti Zep in a looooong time and as it turns out this song got unfairly lumped in with the rest of the B list material.

On a completely unrelated note, it's time for lunch...ahhh, HOT DOG!!!

I have no preference for what the next draft is, I just want to be a part of it. It was a blast spending so much time hanging out with all of you. Sorry I can’t contribute more, I would be totally willing to run one in the summer. I just don’t have the time for it now.

Can we just throw out our spare parts without fanfare? Reach makes their own playlist and posts?

Because I have some #### Sparrer, Splodgeness Abounds, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, and Danielle Dax to share.

Contest results!

***OFFICIAL*** contest winners: Just Win Baby and Pip’s Invitation, with a total of seven points and a win in the tiebreaker over Eephus (lost by only six points in the tiebreaker), scorchy, AAABatteries, and contest-master Val Rannous. Despite applying two tie-breakers, this one will be split because they selected exactly the same answers!

No one correctly guessed the highest-scoring non-Big-3 song, but each of these individuals predicted six of the seven artists filling out the top 10, as well as the top overall point-getter.

SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 winner: Pip’s Invitation, with an impressive total of 10 correct!
As per our PM discussion, to spread the wealth, I will designate the funds from the SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!! and would like to have Just Win Baby and Eephus split designating the funds from the ***OFFICIAL*** contest.

For my designation, I would like my share of the funds to go to The Center for Family Services, of which my employer is a major supporter. https://www.centerffs.org/

The mission of Center For Family Services is to support and empower individuals, families, and communities to achieve a better life through vision, hope, and strength. The vision of Center For Family Services is for all people to lead capable, responsible, fulfilled lives in strong families and healthy communities.

Whether it’s a child who is ready for preschool, a teen in need of the support of a mentor, a child without a safe place to call home, a family facing the trauma of domestic violence, a person seeking help for an addiction, or a family in crisis, Center For Family Services is trusted to help people heal, find comfort, and build the foundation for a successful future.

Due to medical and veterinary bills we racked up last year, I was not able to contribute much to the holiday drive that my company did for the CFS, so this would be a great way for me to make up for that.

As they did in the US countdown, the Rannouses have incredibly generously offered to cover a portion of the contest winner donations, and they'll be making the donation to this charity. I'll handle the Just Win Baby and Eephus donations right after I post. Huge huge thanks to the R family for being so amazing!!

By the way, I still am unable to use any formatting on the board, but I see that some of you have been able to do links now. What am I missing? The whole tool bar is still grayed out for me.

Contest results!

***OFFICIAL*** contest winners: Just Win Baby and Pip’s Invitation, with a total of seven points and a win in the tiebreaker over Eephus (lost by only six points in the tiebreaker), scorchy, AAABatteries, and contest-master Val Rannous. Despite applying two tie-breakers, this one will be split because they selected exactly the same answers!

No one correctly guessed the highest-scoring non-Big-3 song, but each of these individuals predicted six of the seven artists filling out the top 10, as well as the top overall point-getter.

SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 winner: Pip’s Invitation, with an impressive total of 10 correct!
As per our PM discussion, to spread the wealth, I will designate the funds from the SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!! and would like to have Just Win Baby and Eephus split designating the funds from the ***OFFICIAL*** contest.

For my designation, I would like my share of the funds to go to The Center for Family Services, of which my employer is a major supporter. https://www.centerffs.org/

The mission of Center For Family Services is to support and empower individuals, families, and communities to achieve a better life through vision, hope, and strength. The vision of Center For Family Services is for all people to lead capable, responsible, fulfilled lives in strong families and healthy communities.

Whether it’s a child who is ready for preschool, a teen in need of the support of a mentor, a child without a safe place to call home, a family facing the trauma of domestic violence, a person seeking help for an addiction, or a family in crisis, Center For Family Services is trusted to help people heal, find comfort, and build the foundation for a successful future.

Due to medical and veterinary bills we racked up last year, I was not able to contribute much to the holiday drive that my company did for the CFS, so this would be a great way for me to make up for that.

As they did in the US countdown, the Rannouses have incredibly generously offered to cover a portion of the contest winner donations, and they'll be making the donation to this charity. I'll handle the Just Win Baby and Eephus donations right after I post. Huge huge thanks to the R family for being so amazing!!
@krista4 i already made my $100 to Pip’s charity and posted about it.

I also neglected over the past couple of days to thank our spreadsheet guru @falguy and our playlist guru @Hawks64 . Both of them go above and beyond in so many ways - falguy, for instance, putting together a lot of extra ways to view the data, and Hawks coordinating both with me and with Dr. O to get playlists done in advance when he might not be available on a particular day. :heart: to you guys.

Contest results!

Thank you very much Rannouses and Krista!

Contest results!

Thank you, Rannouses, Doc Oc and Krista!

I made my donations, but it just occurred to me that my new employer does some bit of matching of charitable donations, so I'll look into that when I have a little more time, too!
While you’re at it, may as well ask if anyone at your new employer is willing to run a catch-all countdown. :shrug:
Perhaps one of them has a superhero that is particularly well-suited for this kind of thing?

I was thinking of offering to do the next one - AFTER A BREAK - but with my inability to do formatting, it wouldn't work.

I finally managed to update the first post with the 31-pointers. Had to copy formatting from prior post, and of course for the 82nd time cut down the number of characters to be under the limit.

Final "similarity score index" thing I've been doing.

Songs by participant on my list or in the top 10 of songs not on my list:

Don Quixote: 7
DrIanMalcolm: 5
Binky: 4
Shuke: 4
Doc Oc: 3
Doug B: 3
Just Win Baby: 3
jwb: 3
MAC 32: 3
Simey: 3
Simsarge: 3
Zamboni: 3
Zegras11: 3
AAABatteries: 2
Andy: 2
Chaos34: 2
Falguy: 2
Hov34: 2
Ilov80s: 2
Landryshat: 2
Mister CIA: 2
Mrs. Eephus: 2
OH: 2
Scorchy: 2
Westerberg: 2
Worrierking: 2
Yankee23Fan: 2
Eephus: 1
Krista4: 1
Manster: 1
Marco: 1
Mt. Man: 1
Rockaction: 1
Val Rannous: 1

Songs by participant on my list or in the top 25 of songs not on my list:

Don Quixote: 8
DrIanMalcolm: 7
Shuke: 6
Zegras11: 6
Binky: 5
Doc Oc: 5
Simey: 5
Yankee23Fan: 5
Doug B: 4
Falguy: 4
Hov34: 4
Just Win Baby: 4
MAC 32: 4
Zamboni: 4
Andy: 3
Chaos34: 3
Ilov80s: 3
jwb: 3
Worrierking: 3
AAABatteries: 2
Cosjobs: 2
Krista4: 2
Landryshat: 2
Manster: 2
Mister CIA: 2
Mrs. Eephus: 2
Mrs. Rannous: 2
Rockaction: 2
Scorchy: 2
Val Rannous: 2
Westerberg: 2
Hawks64: 1
Marco: 1
Mt. Man: 1
Sullie: 1
Tim: 1
Titusbramble: 1

Songs by participant on my list or in the top 50 of songs not on my list:

Zegras11: 12
Yankee23Fan: 11
Don Quixote: 10
Binky: 8
Simey: 8
Shuke: 7
Hov34: 6
Doc Oc: 5
Falguy: 5
Ilov80s: 5
Just Win Baby: 5
Worrierking: 5
Zamboni: 5
AAABatteries: 4
Andy: 4
Chaos34: 4
Chaz: 4
Cosjobs: 4
Doug B: 4
jwb: 4
MAC 32: 4
Westerberg: 4
Krista4: 3
Landryshat: 3
Mister CIA: 3
Mrs. Eephus: 3
Rockaction: 3
Scorchy: 3
Hawks64: 2
Higgins: 2
Manster: 2
Marco: 2
Mrs. Rannous: 2
Mt. Man: 2
Sullie: 2
Tim: 2
Titusbramble: 2
Val Rannous: 2

Songs by participant on my list or in the top 75 of songs not on my list:

Yankee23Fan: 13
Zegras11: 13
Don Quixote: 11
Binky: 10
Worrierking: 9
Shuke: 8
Simey: 8
Chaos34: 7
Doc Oc: 7
Hov34: 7
Andy: 6
Doug B: 6
Ilov80s: 6
Zamboni: 6
AAABatteries: 5
Falguy: 5
Just Win Baby: 5
MAC 32: 5
Manster: 5
Marco: 5
Sullie: 5
Westerberg: 5
jwb: 4
Krista4: 4
Landryshat: 4
Mister CIA: 4
Scorchy: 4
Simsarge: 4
Eephus: 3
Rockaction: 3
Higgins: 3
Mrs. Rannous: 3
Mt. Man: 3
OH: 3
Tim: 3
Titusbramble: 3
Val Rannous: 3
Hawks64: 2
KarmaPolice: 1

Songs by participant on my list or in the top 100 of songs not on my list:

Zegras11: 15
Yankee23Fan: 14
Don Quixote: 13
Binky: 12
Worrierking: 11
Shuke: 10
Simey: 10
Chaos34: 9
Doc Oc: 8
Hov34: 8
Westerberg: 8
Just Win Baby: 7
Zamboni: 7
Doug B: 6
Falguy: 6
jwb: 6
Manster: 6
Marco: 6
Scorchy: 6
Simsarge: 6
Sullie: 6
AAABatteries: 5
Eephus: 5
Hawks64: 5
Krista4: 5
MAC 32: 5
Mister CIA: 5
Landryshat: 4
Mt. Man: 4
OH: 4
Rockaction: 4
Val Rannous: 4
Higgins: 3
KarmaPolice: 3
Tim: 3

Songs by participant on my list or in the top 150 of songs not on my list:

Yankee23Fan: 18
Zegras11: 17
Binky: 15
Don Quixote: 15
Chaos34: 14
Shuke: 12
Simey: 12
Worrierking: 12
Doc Oc: 11
DrIanMalcolm: 11
Westerberg: 11
Just Win Baby: 10
AAABatteries: 9
Eephus: 9
Hawks64: 9
jwb: 9
Manster: 9
Simsarge: 9
Doug B: 8
Falguy: 8
Hov34: 8
Marco: 8
Mister CIA: 8
Sullie: 8
Zamboni: 8
Rockaction: 7
Scorchy: 7
Tim: 7
Val Rannous: 7
Chaz: 6
Cosjobs: 6
Higgins: 6
Krista4: 6
Landryshat: 6
MAC 32: 6
Mt. Man: 6
KarmaPolice: 5
Mrs. Eephus: 4
OH: 4

Songs by participant on my list or in the top 200 of songs not on my list:

Binky: 21
Don Quixote: 18
Yankee23Fan: 18
Zegras11: 17
Chaos34: 15
Doc Oc: 14
DrIanMalcolm: 14
Mister CIA: 14
Shuke: 14
Worrierking: 14
jwb: 13
Manster: 13
AAABatteries: 12
Just Win Baby: 12
Simey: 12
Westerberg: 12
Hov34: 11
Simsarge: 11
Zamboni: 11
Doug B: 10
Falguy: 10
Hawks64: 10
Sullie: 10
Val Rannous: 10
Cosjobs: 9
Eephus: 9
MAC 32: 9
Mt. Man: 9
Rockaction: 9
Andy: 8
KarmaPolice: 8
Krista4: 8
Landryshat: 8
Marco: 8
Tim: 8
Higgins: 7
Ilov80s: 7
OH: 7
Scorchy: 7
Chaz: 6
Mrs. Rannous: 5
Mrs. Eephus: 4
Titusbramble: 4
Ditkaburgers: 1

My family is pretty bad at this
Speak for yourself, I got one!! :excited:

I was thinking of offering to do the next one - AFTER A BREAK - but with my inability to do formatting, it wouldn't work.

@Memphis Foundry can you please look into this? TIA.

Thank you! It seems that after the issue that a lot of people faced on Wednesday, if you just clear your cache it works. For now, at least. :)

Well crap, does that mean I volunteered to run the next one now? :lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread