What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ghostbusters, All Girl Cast (1 Viewer)

The Ghostbusters as women is

• Good

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 81 50.3%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 50 31.1%

• Total voters
Just out of curiosity were those word of mouth reviews from friends/family or from certain critics?  The movie got generally good reviews from critics (I think low to mid 90s on Rotten Tomatoes). There was a lot of rehash and to each their own on tastes but the multiple not very good review comment surprised me. If they are professional critics would you mind mentioning some, I'm curious how my taste compares with theirs. 
:shrug:

Relax, Star Wars nerds.  I enjoyed the first 3 too.

:shrug:

Relax, Star Wars nerds.  I enjoyed the first 3 too.
:D  I was just curious and it sounds like you went off friends who know your tastes, which is probably the best way to do it.  Wasn't sure if you were a "Ebert" guy (or whatever would pass for his equivalent now).  I'm going to call BS on noted critic Matthew Lickona of the weekly San Diego Reader being one of your trusted sources though :lmao:

I'm not a big fan of remakes either but the level of hate for this particular one is completely out of whack.  Most hated non-music video YouTube clip ever?  Come on.  That rings of something much deeper than not liking the idea of a Ghostbusters remake.

I think the movie is going to be pretty terrible because of the constraints of being PG-13 but Melissa McCarthy & Kristin Wiig have both proven to be pretty darn funny (they have demonstrated comedy chops in R rated films) and have earned the benefit of the doubt, certainly more than they are getting, which is none.

So yes, I do see a parallel between this type of hatred, which has zero basis in reality but is clearly popular and what is going on with Drumpf who promotes the same type of indefensible hatred with no basis in reality and is also clearly popular.  

There is a systemic change going on in the U.S. right now and it is going to be interesting to see where it leads.
I think part of it is they finally hit on a movie that is almost universally liked and people have a soft spot for from their childhood.  I can't remember the last time a remake touched a nerve like that for a lot of people - for me it was probably the butchering of the Karate Kid.  Add it the Bill Murray love and the polarity of comediennes like Wiig and McCarthy, and you and understand the hate.  Don't get what your point of the PG-13 has to do with it - the original wasn't R, and if those women can't be funny in a non-R movie, it wasn't a good idea to begin with.  Evidently you find McCarthy a lot funnier than I do. 

Also, what do you mean "zero basis in reality"??  We can watch that horrible trailer and see for ourselves what we might be in for. 

I never understood the "this is ruining the movie from my childhood" shtick. It's not like they are removing all copies of the original ghostbusters from existence. Just ignore it if you don't want to see it. 

I never understood the "this is ruining the movie from my childhood" shtick. It's not like they are removing all copies of the original ghostbusters from existence. Just ignore it if you don't want to see it. 
Anger over a movie you're not going to watch is so weird. 

I think people wanted another ghostbusters movie, and instead we are getting a gimmick without the original cast. It just shouldn't have been made. 

I never said anything about ruining my childhood, and don't think anybody else did either.  Remakes touch a nerve in people, and it just seems more so with a few core movies that people love.  Doesn't change one thing about the originals.  Not that hard to get. 

I never said anything about ruining my childhood, and don't think anybody else did either.  Remakes touch a nerve in people, and it just seems more so with a few core movies that people love.  Doesn't change one thing about the originals.  Not that hard to get. 
Literally the first thing you said is it hits a soft spot about childhood. 

I think people wanted another ghostbusters movie, and instead we are getting a gimmick without the original cast. It just shouldn't have been made. 
Well the one guy is dead, Akroyd is like 400 pounds and Murray didn't want to do it. 

Also, how is this more of a gimmick than the original? :confused:

Well the one guy is dead, Akroyd is like 400 pounds and Murray didn't want to do it. 

Also, how is this more of a gimmick than the original? :confused:
Just seems gimmicky "oh we've done so well with bridesmaids, let's do an all female cast!"  Isn't that the directors mo?

i know Ramis is dead. As another said earlier, this sequel was rumored for years and now we get this ....

Users who are viewing this thread