What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Girl sitting next to me on flight pukes in bag twice (1 Viewer)

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
I'm on a flight last Monday evening. Three seats to a row, I'm on the aisle, middle seat is open, young woman in window seat. She has a small dog (really) in a doggie carry on bag placed at her feet. We take off and it looks like she'll be conked out for the duration. I've decided to watch The Batman. About an hour and twenty minutes into the movie I notice a slight commotion out of the corner of my eye. The young woman in the window seat has yanked the barf bag from the seat pocket in front of her and looks to be booting into it. I'm wondering if she is actually puking or just dry heaving? My nose let's me know that yes, she is actually puking. I had a sweatshirt in my lap that I now place over my nose and mouth as to smell fabric softener rather than chunks blown. Instead of going to the lav to clean up, she twists the top of the barf bag shut and places it somewhere on her side of the row. She then opens the tray table, lays her arms and head on it and tries to go back to sleep. At some point during the episode I made eye contact with her dog who had the same look on its face that I did, a look of concern and astonishment.

Trying to forget what happened I now return to The Batman, sweatshirt still gently pressed against my mouth and nose. A bit later the flight attendant comes by with drinks and snacks. I grab a ginger ale and some pretzels. The lady in the window seat does not get anything and is seemingly asleep as is the dog. Some time passes, my drink and snack are finished and The Batman has just leapt from a building and is flying through the air in his Batsuit. As he crashes to the ground I feel a tap on my shoulder. The girl in there window seat wants to get up to use the bathroom. She has her dog tucked under her right arm. As I'm standing up to let her out she releases the dog onto the middle seat and frantically rips a fresh barf bag from the middle seat pocket. She begins to barf just as the bag is open. She got most of it in the bag, some of it on the middle seatback in front of her and some sprayed onto the seat back in front of me, including a few droplets on my TV screen. I am now standing in the aisle looking down at her and also looking up and down the aisle to see if any flight attendant are around that I can flag down. About four or five rows behind me there is a woman in the opposite aisle seat who is standing and looking on with concern at what is going on in my row. She is wearing white, is kind of illuminated and looks a bit like Glenn Close in the natural when she stands for that Hobbs at bat. I look back down at the girl in my row to see how she's doing. She let the dog go from her arm when she went to grab the bag and now the dog is standing on my seat and trying to get over the armrest and into the aisle. I corral the dog as to not let him get loose. Her owner is still seemingly not done vomiting. I really didn't even know what to do other than to stand there looking at her and making sure her dog doesn't make a run for it. After a minute or so she finishes and slides back over to the window seat. I place her dog down in the middle seat and gently push him toward her. My sweatshirt was on my seat and I'm pretty sure it caught some flying vomit. I stay standing for a little bit wondering if she's going to want to get up and take those barf bags to the ladies room with her and maybe clean up a little but she does not. I sit back down in my seat. The smell is now unbearable. I cannot put my sweatshirt over my nose and mouth because of the possible puke spray contact. Robert Pattinson's face on my TV screen is spackled with little droplets of vomit. This is my Nam.

A short time later the girl wants to get up again and does so. She goes to the front of the plane to use the bathroom up there, carrying her dog in her right arm and two almost full barf bags in her left hand. I take my boarding pass and gently scrape one of the main puke drops off my TV screen so I don't have to keep looking at it. The girl returns from the bathroom. I get up to let her in and she says something to the effect of "I am sooo sorry ". I do not respond. As she settles into her seat I carefully take the barf bag out from my front seat pocket and place it on the middle seat just in case. The rest of the flight is uneventful. The third barf bag was never used. We land and I can't get off the plane fast enough. I go right to the bathroom to wash my hands and face. I look in the mirror at my clothes and my sweatshirt to see if I can spot any puke on it. I don't see anything. I continue to baggage claim and never see the girl or her dog again.

So that was three and a half nights ago. I'm sitting here now with a slight fever and moderate cramping in my upper abdomen. Very gassy. I haven't puked myself yet but definitely not feeling great. Hoping I recover soon. That was the first time outside of a movie that I've ever seen anybody actually use a barf bag on a flight. I will never forget it. Thanks for reading and letting me vent. Puking aside, I thought The Batman was pretty good.

Last edited:
Why didn't you hit the call button for a flight attendant? At least to ask if they had any sanitizing wipes or anything for the screen and seat back, etc? They may have been able to move you as well.

I'm sorry you have Ebola now, but this is on you.

I can only imagine how horrible it would be to get on a plane and then get violently ill. But also awful for everyone else around.

Thankfully the woman was a couple of rows behind me and on the other side of the plane, but I was on a 4 hour flight a few years ago where a woman vomited repeatedly for 4 hours. There was a good amount of turbulence that I’m sure was a large contributing factor, but it also prevented her from being able to get up and go to the restroom.

Thank goodness I had headphones with me, because the sound of puke filling up those bags over and over would have made me lose my cookies too eventually.

You sat back down???!!!!!

I would have let out a few audible “Oh hell naw”s. Immediately called for the stewardess and requested a new seat even if it was with the luggage. Im 100 percent asking insisting that she put on a mask and they better get some wipes. Lysol.

Hopefully she was just hung over but it doesn’t sound like it.

OH HELL NAWWWW!!!!

On a flight out of PHX I was just thinking about flights and puking and the fact that I haven't seen anyone puke on a flight since traveling from PHX to KCI after the 1995 Fiesta Bowl. In that case, the poor girl mostly missed the bag. It smelled like bananas. Anyway, I wondered how often flight puking happens, what percentage of the time the puke actually all ends up in the bag and how much $ is spent on those little bags "just in case"? Then I ate my snack mix.

And people wonder why i won't get on a commercial airplane these days...

-Barf Bag twice and a dog in my aisle? Emergency landing at the nearest city please
-Happy to parachute out the back as well.

MoP and airports don't mix well these days.
Suspension of Disbelief, the security, the travelers, the "uniformed crew members" and even the bar staffs in the terminals are highly questionable

Why didn't you hit the call button for a flight attendant? At least to ask if they had any sanitizing wipes or anything for the screen and seat back, etc? They may have been able to move you as well.

It didn't even cross my mind to be honest. I'm not the most experienced flyer. I had no idea what to do. In hindsight yes I wish I did that. Wish you were sitting in the middle seat at the time. You could have given me this info then.

So that was three and a half nights ago. I'm sitting here now with a slight fever and moderate cramping in my upper abdomen. Very gassy. I haven't puked myself yet but definitely not feeling great. Hoping I recover soon. That was the first time outside of a movie that I've ever seen anybody actually use a barf bag on a flight. I will never forget it. Thanks for reading and letting me vent. Puking aside, I thought The Batman was pretty good.
Only responding to say that I get motion sickness really badly and have utilized said bags a few times in the past.* So, yeah, it happens and I can assure anybody that it's both very unintentional and very embarrassing.

Where I lose some sympathy for said woman though is that both Dramamine and Bonine do a good job of preventing actual emesis with regular/normal turbulence. So, unless there was unusually rough turbulence, she should have prepared better.

*And never with a mini lapdog in my arms - though this board likely recalls my brief stint with a teacup yorkie.

ETA: Reread the OP and sounds like the woman may have been actually sick sick (as opposed to fine then got motion sickness).

Last edited:
so the aisle is considered the window seat and vice versa?
I don't know what the confusion is. I was in the aisle seat. She was in the window seat. I didn't double check what I wrote did I make it confusing somewhere? Maybe I misspoke at some point. To be clear she was all the way in the window seat, there was nobody in the middle seat, and I was in the aisle seat.

On a flight out of PHX I was just thinking about flights and puking and the fact that I haven't seen anyone puke on a flight since traveling from PHX to KCI after the 1995 Fiesta Bowl. In that case, the poor girl mostly missed the bag. It smelled like bananas. Anyway, I wondered how often flight puking happens, what percentage of the time the puke actually all ends up in the bag and how much $ is spent on those little bags "just in case"? Then I ate my snack mix.
Uh my wife just boarded a flight out of Phoenix like 15 minutes ago...

-Barf Bag twice and a dog in my aisle? Emergency landing at the nearest city please

Suspension of Disbelief, the security, the travelers, the "uniformed crew members" and even the bar staffs in the terminals are highly questionable
But would you bring a can of tuna on the airplane?

I don't know what the confusion is. I was in the aisle seat. She was in the window seat. I didn't double check what I wrote did I make it confusing somewhere? Maybe I misspoke at some point. To be clear she was all the way in the window seat, there was nobody in the middle seat, and I was in the aisle seat.
We know. Yeah you mixed them up in the story. No big deal.

Wake and bake Willie, we've all been there

You sat back down???!!!!!

I would have let out a few audible “Oh hell naw”s. Immediately called for the stewardess and requested a new seat even if it was with the luggage. Im 100 percent asking insisting that she put on a mask and they better get some wipes. Lysol.

Hopefully she was just hung over but it doesn’t sound like it.

OH HELL NAWWWW!!!!
I'll admit in situations like this I am not good. I will just suck it up and do what will cause the least amount of commotion. There were no other seats available so I didn't know what the hell to do. In hindsight you're right I should have done something. In the moment when the puke is flying there's a haze that you can't really replicate after the fact.

So she had both seats?
I don't think so but maybe she did. I don't know. She acted like she did not have that middle seat. But she did have a dog. Are you required to get two seats if you bring a dog on board? I told you people bring their dogs everywhere now.

That would be nightmarish for me. Probably norovirus. GL WN.
Isn't norovirus the same as stomach flu? Looks like it's supposed to go away and 1 to 3 days. I definitely feel like crap. Not vomiting though. Yet.
Yah, it's what most people refer to as the "stomach flu." Cases are ramping up right now. https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/reporting/norostat/data.html
I'm pretty sure my 5-year-old had this recently. It was very unfun for a day or two.

We know. Yeah you mixed them up in the story. No big deal.

Wake and bake Willie, we've all been there
Ah damn. I see it now. In that first paragraph I wrote aisle where I should have written window. I have edited it. It should now not be confusing. Thank you to all who pointed out my mistake.

It didn't even cross my mind to be honest. I'm not the most experienced flyer. I had no idea what to do. In hindsight yes I wish I did that. Wish you were sitting in the middle seat at the time. You could have given me this info then.
While I would love to fly with a fellow FBG, I'm reticent to wish the same because then we'd likely both have ebola.

Seriously though, if anything like that happens in the future, don't be shy about alerting the flight attendants. They are there for the passengers safety and comfort, and may have been able to help both your row mate and yourself in a tough situation. They've likely seen it all already, and can assist.

Hopefully its just a minor bug and you are back to 100% quickly.

I know, how about a nice pork sandwich, served in a greasy ashtray?

I’ve used this my entire life and I’m pretty sure you are the only other person I’ve ever heard reference it. Literally dozens of times and nobody has ever gotten it.

:kicksrock:
Don't think I don't know that I messed the line up. Greasy pork sandwich, dirty ashtray.

Thanks for not calling me out

But would you bring a can of tuna on the airplane?
Planet Terror and Deathproof Double Feature, Los Angeles, about 15 minutes into the first film

Last edited:
I feel bad for the girl and for you in this situation. Feel better.
Thank you very much. I have to go to a memorial service on Sunday. I'm hoping not to be sick.
Norovirus is usually a 24 hour thing. You should be ok by Sunday. Stay hydrated
I felt crappy on Tuesday. Now it's Friday. Pressure in upper abdomen. Nausea. Fatigue. Slight Fever. No diarrhea though. The opposite actually. Haven't pooped yet since landing.

Last year, I had a girl puking almost the entire flight from Philly to Puerto Rico sitting in front of me. People were passing her their barf bags. She refused to go to the bathroom, when the flight attendant asked her to. The middle seat was open (she was in the aisle) and she just laid down, trapping this old lady against the window. The flight crew put on masks and passed them out to anyone around her that wanted one. The flight attendant was so mad but she paid no attention to him at all. Basically a hazmat crew came on board after the flight to disinfect that row.

I flew from Cape Town to London and spent 3/4 of the flight in the toilet puking and ****ting. 12 hours. Pretty sure it was food poisoning. Pretty much an open faucet on both ends.

Had an 8 hour layover in London then another 10 hour flight to Seattle. By that time I was emptied out so just laid in my seat.

In top 5 of most miserable experiences of my life.

I flew from Cape Town to London and spent 3/4 of the flight in the toilet puking and ****ting. 12 hours. Pretty sure it was food poisoning. Pretty much an open faucet on both ends.

Had an 8 hour layover in London then another 10 hour flight to Seattle. By that time I was emptied out so just laid in my seat.

I hope she just had food poisoning or motion sickness but me feeling sick makes that seem unlikely.

really nothing worse than flying while ill. well, nothing worse than flying. add in the moron factor and you are in a traveling petri dish.

I hope she just had food poisoning or motion sickness but me feeling sick makes that seem unlikely.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread