What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GnR : Appetite For Destruction (1 Viewer)

Offshoot of the Chinese Conspiracy thread....

Tough not to consider Appetite as one of the best Straight-Out Rock albums ever released.

Has there been an overall superior Rock album released since Appetite?

Song for song....total package. Not saying there hasn't been... just curious what others' thoughts were on this.

Discuss
Then and now, I take And Justice For All over Appetite For Destruction, but I am extremely biased. That said, I can't deny the widespread impact AFD had, guys and chicks were into Guns...not so much for Metallica back then. Guns was all over MTV and the radio...Metallica had the one video and pretty much no radio back then...at least where I was...sometimes on the college radio station. Justice was Metallica's Back in Black...lost a major peice of the band and still delivered. Blackened

And Justice for All

Eye of the Beholder

One

The Shortest Straw

Harvest of Sorrow

The Frayed Ends of Sanity

To Live Is To Die

Dyers Eve

That track listing rocks, IMO. Maybe it doesn't count versus AFD cause it's "thrash" but that was the point back then...to out-rock anything else. :headbang:

Take Metallica out of the discussion though and it's hard for me to come up with an album since that is better as a "Straight-Out Rock" album...and I'm not even a huge Guns and Roses fan. In fact, my favorite song of theirs isn't on that album...Civil War holds that distinction. From AFD I always really like Mr. Brownstone. Add me to those who like Blind Melon more than GnR....although I would agree AFD "out rocked" anything Blind Melon did.
Reading Comprehension Olympics:FFTODAY 1 : FFA 0

:thumbup:
:bye:

Love the start a thread centered around a label, which is inherently rooted in semantics, and then getting bothered and trying to play superior when the discussion veers into semantics schtick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the start a thread centered around a label, which is inherently rooted in semantics, and then getting bothered and trying to play superior when the discussion veers into semantics schtick.
I'll take "What someone who doesn't know what rock music is for $500, Alex".

Didn't read through all 10 pages, so some of this will probably have already been said:

I used to be a huge GNR fan, so its cool to see a 10 page thread on one of my favorite albums. When I think about rock, I see a pretty clear trajectory from the Stones -> Led Zeppelin -> Aerosmith -> AC/DC -> Motley Crue -> GNR.

But then I think the trajectory broke. No one ever tried to come out and be a bigger rock n roll band. Or came close. Sure, you have alternative bands, like Nirvana. Or metal bands like Korn. But they weren't rock n roll bands. GNR could cover any of the bands in the trajectory I gave, and it would fit perfectly on the album, and if you were some kid who didn't read the album notes, you'd never know. Can't really say that with Nirvana. I have no doubt that Kurt knew Aerozeppelin, but "Ragdoll" would sound funny on a Nirvana album. Same with Korn covering AC/DC or whatever.

And I kinda doubt the trajectory is gonna get fixed 25 years after it broke. So yea, AFD, last great rock n roll album ever made.

Anyone mentioned The Black Crowes - Shake Your Moneymaker? Probably doesn't beat AFD, but it's close.

I remember being in eighth or ninth grade and liking Faster #####cat's record better than AFD. But I grew to love bands like the NY Dolls, Hanoi Rocks, etc., in high school so maybe that's not so surprising. They were more glam/trash, and Guns N' Roses were a bit more traditionally blues-metal for the time. I think I was also a bit of a contrarian and loved L.A. Guns's first record a bit better, too.

In retrospect, I think AFD's finer moments are when it is at its darkest; especially the sort of kind of cutting narratives about women they knew. My Michelle and Rocket Queen are my favorites off of that album.

And Big Black's Songs About ####### is notable for Fish Fry. "He's got his eight track playing...really ####### loud!" Loved that song. Don't think it's really comparable to a traditional "rock" record, though.

It's So Easy

Nighttrain

Rocket Queen

I Think about You

My Michelle

Mr. Brownstone

Anything Goes

Paradise City

Welcome to the Jungle

You're Crazy

Sweet Child O'Mine

Out to Get Me

Ranking the 12 songs in order for me. Album released in early July of 1987 however it really didn't get moving for some time, 1988 is when the band steamrolled ahead.

It's So Easy

Nighttrain

Rocket Queen

I Think about You

My Michelle

Mr. Brownstone

Anything Goes

Paradise City

Welcome to the Jungle

You're Crazy

Sweet Child O'Mine

Out to Get Me

Ranking the 12 songs in order for me. Album released in early July of 1987 however it really didn't get moving for some time, 1988 is when the band steamrolled ahead.
When Out to Get Me is the worst song on your album that's a pretty damn good album.

Album released in early July of 1987 however it really didn't get moving for some time, 1988 is when the band steamrolled ahead.
They were popular among metal fans when Welcome to the Jungle (Oct. 87) came out but it wasn't until Sweet Child O Mine came out (Aug. 88...why so long?) that they broke into the mainstream and chicks started wearing GNR shirts.

SCOM was played during the end credits of the movie Bad Dreams, which was released April 88.

Album released in early July of 1987 however it really didn't get moving for some time, 1988 is when the band steamrolled ahead.
They were popular among metal fans when Welcome to the Jungle (Oct. 87) came out but it wasn't until Sweet Child O Mine came out (Aug. 88...why so long?) that they broke into the mainstream and chicks started wearing GNR shirts.

SCOM was played during the end credits of the movie Bad Dreams, which was released April 88.
Dirty Harry put GnR in the movie and did the opening shot with Jim Carrey I think, WttJ but Dead Pool might have been '89, not sure off the top of my head.

GnR amongst many others also benefited from a daily top 10 on MTV that aired around 4 or 5 in the afternoon I think. I would watch that show religiously to see the video that one time during the day. Now you just pull up the IPod or whatever, not much need for a daily countdown.

Jungle got the Metal and RnR folks to take notice. Maybe the music wasn't quite as dark as Metallica and Megadeath but the band had a certain look to it that brought a lot of those people in. That was fun until like you said SCoM came busting out and the band went ballistic, same people who were singing along to Tiffany were suddenly singing that song and that's one of the reasons I rank it so low.

I must have burned thru 3 cassette tapes before I finally bought a vinyl record and then bought the Maxell tapes to record off it.

What part? The mainstream stuff I can understand like SCoM and WttJ but It's So Easy and Nighttrain are great RnR songs and that's to me what separates the album from many others. You can take every song just about that cracked the top 10 on the Billboard and you are still left with some killer tracks. To each their own though.

We didn't know at the time but it was the end of an era in Rock, not sure the ages here. I was 13 when this album was released and it was the perfect fuel for a Catholic Church upbringing ready to bust out.

Metallica's Black album really was quite a feat and I know hardcore Metallicaheads tend to hate that album but they saw the success of GnR and released a pretty dynamic mainstream album of their own to kick off the 90s.

What albums in the early to mid 80s do you like more as a reference?

I was into Def Leppard, Van Halen and Mötley Crüe when this came out. Instantly all that stuff seemed weak and irrelevant. These guys were just badass, pissed, dangerous. Axl was genuinely screwed up. It was more authentic hard rock than any of the hair metal that was on MTV at the time. People talk about grunge being the death knell for hair metal but I believe GnR started it. How could you listen to Poison or Cinderella with a straight face after hearing this?

I still like the record even if it feels a bit dated now. It's easily one of the top 5 rock albums released in my lifetime.

What part? The mainstream stuff I can understand like SCoM and WttJ but It's So Easy and Nighttrain are great RnR songs and that's to me what separates the album from many others. You can take every song just about that cracked the top 10 on the Billboard and you are still left with some killer tracks. To each their own though.

We didn't know at the time but it was the end of an era in Rock, not sure the ages here. I was 13 when this album was released and it was the perfect fuel for a Catholic Church upbringing ready to bust out.

Metallica's Black album really was quite a feat and I know hardcore Metallicaheads tend to hate that album but they saw the success of GnR and released a pretty dynamic mainstream album of their own to kick off the 90s.

I was 18 when GnR broke. Just never been a fan of Axl. :shrug:

Others I'd take over any GnR; Back in Black, Maiden's Powerslave, Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets to name a few metal albums. My musical tastes extend far beyond metal and I wasn't listening to a lot of the new music at the time. I was more into the '70s fusion, prog and jazz (John McLaughlin, Return to Forever, Crimson and discovering Miles). I remember Dio's Holy Diver being a big one, W.A.S.P., and the early Motley Crue were in heavy rotation. And of course all the classic rock. Deep Purple was a favorite at the time.

Others I'd take over any GnR; Back in Black, Maiden's Powerslave, Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets to name a few metal albums. My musical tastes extend far beyond metal and I wasn't listening to a lot of the new music at the time. I was more into the '70s fusion, prog and jazz (John McLaughlin, Return to Forever, Crimson and discovering Miles). I remember Dio's Holy Diver being a big one, W.A.S.P., and the early Motley Crue were in heavy rotation. And of course all the classic rock. Deep Purple was a favorite at the time.
I like many of the albums you mention however I am not an AC/DC guy, in fact nothing ruins a good classic RnR set than AC/DC. I know they are way popular so I kind of understand what you mean.

I was 14, and was knee deep in just about everything MTV was playing a ton, so GnR should have been right up my alley, but Rose's voice always annoyed me too much. My opinion about the big three from this album is the same as it has ever been: Welcome to the Jungle is great; Paradise City is great musically, but Rose's vocals drag it way down; and Sweet Child O' Mine is nothing more than a decent rock ballad. The rest of AFD is very hit or miss, and the hits are merely good, not great. I get why a lot of people love this, as it that kind of trashy "balls to the wall" hard rock that hits the sweet spot of many, but it was never my cup of tea. And once the 90s hit, and I started getting into classic rock (Boston, Styx, Floyd, etc.) and then some of the more proggy classic rock bands (Rush, Moody Blues, Yes, etc.), GnR didn't stand a chance with me.

I was 14, and was knee deep in just about everything MTV was playing a ton, so GnR should have been right up my alley, but Rose's voice always annoyed me too much. My opinion about the big three from this album is the same as it has ever been: Welcome to the Jungle is great; Paradise City is great musically, but Rose's vocals drag it way down; and Sweet Child O' Mine is nothing more than a decent rock ballad. The rest of AFD is very hit or miss, and the hits are merely good, not great. I get why a lot of people love this, as it that kind of trashy "balls to the wall" hard rock that hits the sweet spot of many, but it was never my cup of tea. And once the 90s hit, and I started getting into classic rock (Boston, Styx, Floyd, etc.) and then some of the more proggy classic rock bands (Rush, Moody Blues, Yes, etc.), GnR didn't stand a chance with me.
Good lord man, who did this to you?

Pink Floyd should never, ever be put in the same sentence under similar context as Boston or Styx. Never.

It's a bit like Exile on Main Street in how just completely raw and swaggering it is. Only not nearly as good. More about feel than anything else. It's certainly not the lyrics, even the best of which come off as badly rehashed Lou Reed ideas. It's a balls swinging freely, revved up vibe, is what it is to me. Still a fun record to break out every few years, but I think some people way overstate both it's quality and significance. Kind of a you-had-to-be-there record. Does it deserve mention in a top 200 or so rock and roll alubms? It'd be close. IMO.

Nothing wrong with the Moody Blues. I am talking early Moody Blues...the 1967-1972 era.

Pink Floyd should never, ever be put in the same sentence under similar context as Boston or Styx. Never.
I got into them all around the same time. That is the context.

Ghost Rider said:
Amused to Death said:
When I first heard "Welcome to the Jungle" I thought it was a great song. Still do, actually. Just never got the appeal of the rest of the album and it certainly never struck me as some sort of masterpiece for the ages. Nothing wrong with Styx (pre-Kilroy anyway). Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight are fantastic albums. Their '72 "Movement for the Common Man" is an epic suite. "Suite Madam Blue" from Equinox....Wife and I still regret missing Boston & Styx when they were touring together recently.

For some reason I just never 'got' Moody Blues or ELP.

I saw Styx two years ago, and they were good, but without Dennis DeYoung, it just isn't the same. But those four albums from 1975-1978 are all pretty great. But I find that meatheads who seemingly only listen to music that you can crank up at parties often dismiss music that they consider too arty (heaven forbid music have some depth to it), so that says more about them than it does the music. People can trash Boston, Styx, Moody Blues, etc. all they want, but you cannot argue with their success. Just like I would never argue with the success of AFD (even though I don't think it is that great, I understand why it is so popular).

I saw Styx two years ago, and they were good, but without Dennis DeYoung, it just isn't the same. But those four albums from 1975-1978 are all pretty great. But I find that meatheads who seemingly only listen to music that you can crank up at parties often dismiss music that they consider too arty (heaven forbid music have some depth to it), so that says more about them than it does the music. People can trash Boston, Styx, Moody Blues, etc. all they want, but you cannot argue with their success. Just like I would never argue with the success of AFD (even though I don't think it is that great, I understand why it is so popular).
Depth was exactly the term I was thinking of. Some music you listen to and hear something different each time. The subtleties and layering.

To each their own. I get different things but various genres of music, but unfortunately there's a lot of music that's supposed to 'move me' that simply doesn't. I get a lot more enjoyment out of classical music or jazz than a lot of 'arty' bands.

I think you all are crazy. Top 10 album of my 40 year life. I hate axl. But the album is kick ### from a hard core rock and roll, drums, and guitar point of view. The lyrics are plain great for a slutty album. Nighttrain and sweet child if mine have excellent solo guitar riffs. And annoying as Axl was he was the perfect answer to kill hair metal... And I admit I loved the scorpions, Cinderella, whitesnake, cru. But Metallica and GNR started a whole new generation of hard rock.

Otis said:
Apple Jack said:
Does it deserve mention in a top 200 or so rock and roll alubms? It'd be close. IMO.
lmao
That comment you made about weeding out people with bad taste in music? You don't know how right you are. Weren't you just a couple months ago declaring Taylors the best acoustic instruments made and you had like the kick ### Taylor? C'mon Oats. Nostalgia's fun and all, but if you're in for a dime you're in for a dollar. Mine music.

Users who are viewing this thread