What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest QB of All-Time (1 Viewer)

Fantasy_Freak

Footballguy
My league is bult up with a large number of Packer Fans and they all insist that Brett Favre is the Greatest QB of All-Time. Personally, I think Dan Marino would be my pick as the greatest. What say you as the greatest of all time?Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately not Favre, that's ridiculous. Marino is my favorite player of all time, but I don't think he was the best.Montana would be my vote.

Brady.

Lock this thread immediately...
Did I ever see Unitas, Bradshaw, Griese play? No, so how can I vote for them - listening to other people's opinions?I don't see any Rices, Taylors, Craigs, Dupers, Czonkas, Stallworths on the most recent Patriots squads, meaning Brady did the most with the least in the toughest era in football history. All I'm saying is that the argument can be made.....

Brady.

Did I ever see Unitas, Bradshaw, Griese play? No, so how can I vote for them - listening to other people's opinions?I don't see any Rices, Taylors, Craigs, Dupers, Czonkas, Stallworths on the most recent Patriots squads, meaning Brady did the most with the least in the toughest era in football history. All I'm saying is that the argument can be made.....
Steve Grogan

Randall Cunningham.
Ha! I loved watching Cunningham, but I woudn't call him the greatest. But for my 3 hours, there was no QB I'd rather watch. Those Eagles had some great defenses in those days too!But for the time I've been watching football (from the mid 80s) I would say the top QBs were:

Montana

Marino

Elway (not in the top just caus I never liked the guy)

Young (How many years did he sit on the bench watching Montana? Immagine if he had been playing his entire career)

Favre (remember him riding the pine behind the "magic man" Majkowski, and then being the wild man who would over-throw an open receiver by 40 yards... then getting it together. He's definelty on the downside of his skills now).

Manning (wow - he'll keep it up too)

Brady (he does what it takes to win and almost never makes mistakes).

I think of those, Montana would be the guy I would want to QB my team. Next to him Marino. Next to those two, Brady, since he's the guy who gets it done.

I can't comment on the old timers (like Starbauch, Theisman, Starr and so on) since I never saw them play.

Brady.

Uhm, Brady was my choice.I said lock this thread because I know it's going to get ugly and there are countless others like it that the discussion can be moved to.

I said lock this thread because I know it's going to get ugly and there are countless others like it that the discussion can be moved to.
I thought you said lock it because Varmint posted. ;) Marino, Elway, Brady...pretty close in my book.

Favre, hands down!The records are his. Consecutive games, consecutive seasons with 30 touchdowns, total seasons with 30 touchdowns, touchdowns is within reach, wins, never had a losing season, and he's got the ring.

I said lock this thread because I know it's going to get ugly and there are countless others like it that the discussion can be moved to.
I thought you said lock it because Varmint posted. ;) Marino, Elway, Brady...pretty close in my book.
Hey now....Trying to give me a complex??

Too late...mom beat you all to it! :kicksrock:

Favre, hands down!

The records are his. Consecutive games, consecutive seasons with 30 touchdowns, total seasons with 30 touchdowns, touchdowns is within reach, wins, never had a losing season, and he's got the ring.
He may want to retire NOW. ;) I don't know who the best is, but a list must include

Montana

Marino

Brady

Favre

Charlie Batch

Steve Young

I wouldn't mind having any of those guys as my team's qb.Unitas, Montana, Elway, Flutie...an argument could be made for all. IMO Brady can't be listed here 'til he's played very well for several more years. He doesn't have to win another SB but if he never played another down he'd be remembered as a Warner jr. He's very well on his way to becoming an all time great.

Randall Cunningham.
Ha! I loved watching Cunningham, but I woudn't call him the greatest. But for my 3 hours, there was no QB I'd rather watch. Those Eagles had some great defenses in those days too!But for the time I've been watching football (from the mid 80s) I would say the top QBs were:

Montana

Marino

Elway (not in the top just caus I never liked the guy)

Young (How many years did he sit on the bench watching Montana? Immagine if he had been playing his entire career)

Favre (remember him riding the pine behind the "magic man" Majkowski, and then being the wild man who would over-throw an open receiver by 40 yards... then getting it together. He's definelty on the downside of his skills now).

Manning (wow - he'll keep it up too)

Brady (he does what it takes to win and almost never makes mistakes).

I think of those, Montana would be the guy I would want to QB my team. Next to him Marino. Next to those two, Brady, since he's the guy who gets it done.

I can't comment on the old timers (like Starbauch, Theisman, Starr and so on) since I never saw them play.
Oldtimers like Staubach and Theismann? Whippersnappers! 1. Unitas--revolutionized the passing game.

2. Starr--All he did was win.

3. Montana

4. Marino (best passer, not necessarily the best QB).

Can't answer "all time," because I haven't been around long enough to have seen people like Unitas, Starr, Tittle and Namath play the game. I can only read abouit those guys, and those that came before them.But for the period in which I have actually been WATCHING football games (1975-present), I'd have to give my vote to Roger Staubach.Quite honorable mention, of course to Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Marino, Montana, Young, Cunningham, Elway, Favre, Manning McNabb. You can't disrespect any of these guys...but if I had to pick...I am picking Staubach.

Favre, hands down!

The records are his.  Consecutive games, consecutive seasons with 30 touchdowns, total seasons with 30 touchdowns, touchdowns is within reach, wins, never had a losing season, and he's got the ring.
He may want to retire NOW. ;) I don't know who the best is, but a list must include

Montana

Marino

Brady

Favre

Charlie Batch

Steve Young
Charlie Batch? :confused:

Definately not Favre, that's ridiculous.
While not everyone would pick Favre, I don't see why he is not an option.- Will be #2 all-time in passing yards in a few weeks.- Already is #2 all-time in completions and passing TD- 3 time MVP- Super Bowl winner- Only player in history to have back-to-back 35+ TD seasons (and he did it back-to-back-to-back)- 4-time league leader in passing TD, twice in passing yards- 8 time Pro Bowler- GB has been .500 or better every year since Favre came to town in 1992, so 13 years in a row (but that streak could be in jeopardy this year).- Led Packers to playoffs 10 times- Consecutive games played streak at 200+, IIRCLooks like a pretty viable candidate to me for best overall.

This has been discussed time and time again, but have we ever discussed any absolute can't miss QB who's career was greatly shortened due to injury?Has there even been such a QB?

Favre, hands down!

The records are his.  Consecutive games, consecutive seasons with 30 touchdowns, total seasons with 30 touchdowns, touchdowns is within reach, wins, never had a losing season, and he's got the ring.

Montana

Marino

Brady

Favre

Charlie Batch

Steve Young
OK, I can see that others also said what I said about some of the guys from the old days. I usually give my response forst, and then read what everyone else said after...so sorry for repeating that.But reading down the list of posts...I really HAVE to stop on this one. Did you say "Charlie Batch?"

Favre, hands down!

The records are his. Consecutive games, consecutive seasons with 30 touchdowns, total seasons with 30 touchdowns, touchdowns is within reach, wins, never had a losing season, and he's got the ring.

Montana

Marino

Brady

Favre

Charlie Batch

Steve Young
OK, I can see that others also said what I said about some of the guys from the old days. I usually give my response forst, and then read what everyone else said after...so sorry for repeating that.But reading down the list of posts...I really HAVE to stop on this one. Did you say "Charlie Batch?"
He's the best from my alma matter.

Favre, hands down!

Montana

Marino

Brady

Favre

Charlie Batch

Steve Young
He's the best from my alma matter.
:lmao:

Well Statistically it is Dan "The Man" Marino by a land-slide.

Winning and leadership wise it is Joe Montana, also by a good magin (but Brady is closing on him).

I feel honored to have watched and appreciated both of these entire careers form Start to Finish.

While Brady and Manning at their current pace have great potential to make a case some day, nobody else should really be considered at this point.

This has been discussed time and time again, but have we ever discussed any absolute can't miss QB who's career was greatly shortened due to injury?

Has there even been such a QB?
Does Warner count? He was on-track for best ever but got hurt and never fully recovered. I will see if there are others . . .

While not everyone would pick Favre, I don't see why he is not an option.- Will be #2 all-time in passing yards in a few weeks.

- Already is #2 all-time in completions and passing TD

- 3 time MVP

- Super Bowl winner

- Only player in history to have back-to-back 35+ TD seasons (and he did it back-to-back-to-back)

- 4-time league leader in passing TD, twice in passing yards

- 8 time Pro Bowler

- GB has been .500 or better every year since Favre came to town in 1992, so 13 years in a row (but that streak could be in jeopardy this year).

- Led Packers to playoffs 10 times

- Consecutive games played streak at 200+, IIRC

Looks like a pretty viable candidate to me for best overall.
With thye exception of the 1 super-bowl win; he is behind Marino in every catregory. Sorry, but if your going statistics - you simply can't logically pick Farve.Editted to add the :rofl: that all of us are so football starved on a Wednesday to debate this.....

Well Statistically it is Dan "The Man" Marino by a land-slide.

Winning and leadership wise it is Joe Montana, also by a good magin (but Brady is closing on him).

I feel honored to have watched and appreciated both of these entire careers form Start to Finish.

While Brady and Manning at their current pace have great potential to make a case some day, nobody else should really be considered at this point.
Those are fair points. We should certainly let their careers run their course before including them as serious candidates in this kind of discussion.

Slingin' Sammy Baugh.

He was a great passer, runner, punter and placekicker. And he may have played some defense back in the day of two-way players and he did it all wearing a leather helmet. He's still going strong in his 90s down in Texas somewheres.

Look up his stats sometimes and you'll see what he accomplished in a 12 game season. The man was a football legend and god.

Link to Baugh's Pro Stats

Any list must include Elway. Even discounting the Terrell Davis years where he won his rings, Elway took a team of nobodies to the Super Bowl three times. Seriously, name the running backs and receivers on those teams? Those Denver teams would have been 6-10 at best with an average QB. And before you claim bias, I'll tell you that I've been a Raider fan for 30 years.

The problem is, nobody can really say who the best of all time was. With the changes the game has seen over the years plus a natural bias towards guys we watched growing up, there's always the founding fathers of the sport that will get left off-thus making things flawed. Heck, even a decade or so ago there were no salary caps-let's ask:who is the best qb since the salary cap era began?

While not everyone would pick Favre, I don't see why he is not an option.- Will be #2 all-time in passing yards in a few weeks.

- Already is #2 all-time in completions and passing TD

- 3 time MVP

- Super Bowl winner

- Only player in history to have back-to-back 35+ TD seasons (and he did it back-to-back-to-back)

- 4-time league leader in passing TD, twice in passing yards

- 8 time Pro Bowler

- GB has been .500 or better every year since Favre came to town in 1992, so 13 years in a row (but that streak could be in jeopardy this year).

- Led Packers to playoffs 10 times

- Consecutive games played streak at 200+, IIRC

Looks like a pretty viable candidate to me for best overall.
With thye exception of the 1 super-bowl win; he is behind Marino in every catregory. Sorry, but if your going statistics - you simply can't logically pick Farve.Editted to add the :rofl: that all of us are so football starved on a Wednesday to debate this.....
This is partly true . . . but Favre isn't done playing. He could pass marino in passing yards playing two more years and he would pass him in passing TD next year.Passing yards per game:

Marino 253, Favre 238

Total yards per game

Marino 253, Favre 246

Passing TD per game:

Favre 1.81, Marino 1.73

If Favre keeps at it, he could catch Marino in several categories. Whether he plays that long is another issue.

Someone I forgot off my list - Warren Moon.Some stats to compare:Marino - 61,361 yards, 420 touchdownsMoon - 70,533 yards, 377 touchdowns in the NFL & CFL combinedover 70,000 yards... wow.

Slingin' Sammy Baugh.

He was a great passer, runner, punter and placekicker. And he may have played some defense back in the day of two-way players and he did it all wearing a leather helmet. He's still going strong in his 90s down in Texas somewheres.

Look up his stats sometimes and you'll see what he accomplished in a 12 game season. The man was a football legend and god.

Link to Baugh's Pro Stats
I won't disagree that he was a legend, but he averaged 132 yards passing per game and had 187 TD to go with 203 INT. I know that the passing era of football was a long way away, but those numbers still don't WOW me.

I love that Brady is mentioned 100 times in this thread, and no one mentioned Otto Graham once.
Didn't he invent the "Car Cracker"??
Otto Graham was one of the most proficient passers in the history of professional football during his years the Cleveland Browns from 1946 to 1955. He guided the team to a division or league crown in each of his 10 seasons.

With Graham at the helm, Cleveland dominated the All-America Football Conference during its four seasons in existence by compiling an incredible 52-4-3 record and four league championships.

Graham and the Browns joined the National Football League in 1950 and the success continued. The Browns claimed the league title that season as Otto led Cleveland to a 30-28 win over the Rams in the 1950 Championship Game by throwing four touchdown passes.

In 1954, Graham again led the Browns to the world title with perhaps his finest game he ever played. In the title game that year, he ran for three scores and threw three touchdown passes as Cleveland blew out the Detroit Lions, 56-10, in what was believed to be the final game of his career.

However, Graham was lured back from retirement by Paul Brown in 1955. Again, Graham led the Browns to the league title and capped his Hall of Fame career with 38-14 win over the Rams in the championship game as he passed for two touchdowns and threw for two touchdowns.

His career numbers, including his four seasons in the AAFC, read 1,464 of 2,626 for 23,584 yards, 174 touchdowns and 135 interceptions. His career passer rating of 86.6 has stood the test of time and continues to rank among the best of all-time.

Graham was enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on September 12, 1965.

i say its a toss up at the moment between manning and marino. manning has played long enough to list him with the best. he can drop off the list or he can solidify his number one position. but he is in the top 5 all time.

Users who are viewing this thread