What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grocery Store-What are you paying for food? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Amy's Mac n Cheese in the freezer, accept no substitutes...except it's now $6.79 for an 8 oz container, think those used to be under $4-$5 a couple years back

Organic Half n Half...a little 16 oz container is about $4, can still get the store brand version, double the amount of cream for a little under $5, that used to be $3.49

Coke from Mexico...used to be $1.39 a bottle, now it's about $2.25 per single bottle.

We buy the blue n brown pricey eggs, they actually were over $8 a dozen prior to the inflation surge and are still under $9 a dozen despite most other brands doubling in the past couple years.

South Florida is very limited outside of Publix which put WInn Dixie largely out of business down here. There are 10 Publix stores I can drive to in a 5-10 mile radius of my house, that's not as good as you would think.

Boars Head meats in the deli have risen a lot in price.

Sourdough loaf of bread used to run $3.49, it's now almost $5 a loaf.

And they will never reduce the prices, they only seem to go up to new levels.

I heard rice is about to become scarce...possibly

What items specifically have you seen rise in recent years and what have you done in response if anything?

Amy's Mac n Cheese in the freezer, accept no substitutes...except it's now $6.79 for an 8 oz container, think those used to be under $4-$5 a couple years back

Organic Half n Half...a little 16 oz container is about $4, can still get the store brand version, double the amount of cream for a little under $5, that used to be $3.49

Coke from Mexico...used to be $1.39 a bottle, now it's about $2.25 per single bottle.

We buy the blue n brown pricey eggs, they actually were over $8 a dozen prior to the inflation surge and are still under $9 a dozen despite most other brands doubling in the past couple years.

South Florida is very limited outside of Publix which put WInn Dixie largely out of business down here. There are 10 Publix stores I can drive to in a 5-10 mile radius of my house, that's not as good as you would think.

What items specifically have you seen rise in recent years and what have you done in response if anything?
A Costco or Sam's Club membership will work wonders for your household budget.

Either direction if you don't pay attention.

I'm a supplier, I have seen most everything rise a lot since COVID. You can really tell in the sales ads. 12-packs of Coke 3 for $14? 8-oz backs of Lays 2/$8. Many stores make you buy the multiple to get the ad price also.

There really isn't one of those super close to where I live and it's just me and the Mrs at this point so we don't like to over buy food.
I also enjoy getting my produce and fresh fish on the day I am going to use it, but that's me. I understand why others use these memberships.

I'm a supplier, I have seen most everything rise a lot since COVID. You can really tell in the sales ads. 12-packs of Coke 3 for $14? 8-oz backs of Lays 2/$8. Many stores make you buy the multiple to get the ad price also.
I saw for the 1st time, Cottonelle 8-pack that in theory is 48 rolls, I don't love that size of a roll, doesn't fit anywhere except on the back lid of the toilet behind you, still you can't pass up an $18+ pack of TP that is BOGO, my bathroom is good until at least Christmas.

I don't know that it covers all the other items I'm getting jacked on but it helps.

Either direction if you don't pay attention.
That's how I feel, they get you in there on a couple "at cost" items and then once you are there, they know you are going to fill up the cart.
I see people leave there when I visit with friends who have memberships and we're talking $500 easy in many of these carts.
It looks more like gluttons and I won't make too many comments about the overall shape and size of many I see coming and going from these places.

If i had 2-3 kids in the house I think it would make more sense.

I like Publix a lot better but Winn Dixie is cheaper. I shop WD for most items but try to hit Publix for any seafood or BOGO's.

There really isn't one of those super close to where I live and it's just me and the Mrs at this point so we don't like to over buy food.
I also enjoy getting my produce and fresh fish on the day I am going to use it, but that's me. I understand why others use these memberships.
Another alternative is the Amazon Chase rewards card. 5% back on all Amazon purchases, which includes Whole Foods. If you stick close to the WF weekly sales, you can do all right.

Amy's meals are out of control. I can pickup up ribeye, NY strip, or porterhouse sale of the week for $7.99 a pound. Fresh market had shrimp last week for $7 a pound and 32 oz chickens for $7. Why the heck would i eat macncheese for $14 a pound.

Harris Teeter (Kroger owned) still has decent bogo.

Generally make a Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Harris Tetter loop and try to catch the healty stuff on sale.

Another alternative is the Amazon Chase rewards card. 5% back on all Amazon purchases, which includes Whole Foods. If you stick close to the WF weekly sales, you can do all right.

Yep. WF has the reputation of being overpriced but I find if you shop the sales and buy their 365 brands it's about the same price and sometimes cheaper than other grocery stores especially if you're a Prime member.

Beer is the one thing that went up that we refused to adapt to. Well, our beer purchasing habits anyway. We try to stick to our monthly grocery number, so we've cut corners to fit this while staying under that number. Seems the one thing we've generally done to combat is cutting the impulse buys at Costco.

Ground Turkey used to bogo once every couple months and we'd load up, but I haven't seen that ad since covid. The local market has sprinkled in some turkeys for $3.99/lb recently after going at least a year without seeing that price.

Beef seems to be trying to course correct - different animal but bacon too. But re the cow - after not seeing london broil bogo, ground beef < $4.99, steaks < $8.99, and tenderloins under $10.99 all of those have made cameos this summer. I've noticed similar with fish/seafood, which is a sight for sore eyes given the turkey issue.

One positive, my wife starting making her own pasta sauce rather than going the easy route with the jar as those prices crept up but tomatoes didn't. Next up, homemade pasta - the kids want to get that machine for my wife for xmas.

Another positive/negative depending on who you ask is bread - we were spoiled with an Entemann's outlet a block away in which we could get literally anything for a dollar (plus one-two freebies every time we were in). This place was incredible for the economy shopper, but it died with covid and now we're buying bread like everyone else so I don't eat much of it anymore (which is a good thing). It's obviously a constant for the kids though.

We splurged for vacation, but soda and chips (and equivalents) aren't a thing in our house anymore. I lost those battles 1-to-1 on occasion pre covid, but not on the other side. Frozen potato anything died too - down to real spuds only.

Ice cream though...that's my vice. And let me tell you I've been thrilled to see the couple of sales this summer. The $1.99 special was a nice teaser for the one day only $0.99 deal last weekend. Our freezer is bursting at the seams and I am loving every minute of it.

Speaking of $0.99, eggs finally dropped to that number again. Most fruit and veggies sporadically get down to those levels as well.

Overall, our spending on grocery is up, but with some corner cutting it's not a significant number. If anything the invisible hand is causing us to eat healthier - ground turkey withstanding anyway.

We have 5 people(two teenagers) in the household, so a Costco membership makes financial sense. It is a 30 minutes drive one way. I drive there, fill up on gas(Costco gas is usually 20-30 cents cheaper than any other gas station), go into Costco and grab what I need. The key here is to have an upright deep freezer in addition to your refrigerator. I then go into the Costco liquor store and buy 1.5 liter of Kirkland Vodka for $14(a STEAL of a price).

Since I have the executive membership, I get a certain percentage cash back based on my yearly purchases. I have averaged about $180 each year. That pays for the yearly membership, plus some.

We have 5 people(two teenagers) in the household, so a Costco membership makes financial sense. It is a 30 minutes drive one way. I drive there, fill up on gas(Costco gas is usually 20-30 cents cheaper than any other gas station), go into Costco and grab what I need. The key here is to have an upright deep freezer in addition to your refrigerator. I then go into the Costco liquor store and buy 1.5 liter of Kirkland Vodka for $14(a STEAL of a price).

Since I have the executive membership, I get a certain percentage cash back based on my yearly purchases. I have averaged about $180 each year. That pays for the yearly membership, plus some.
If you feel bold get the Costco credit card. Pays cash back on every purchase you make on it. My wife and I use it for all of our bills and just pay one large bill a month. We get about $1200 back a year from Costco.

If you feel bold get the Costco credit card. Pays cash back on every purchase you make on it. My wife and I use it for all of our bills and just pay one large bill a month. We get about $1200 back a year from Costco.
Sigh...I know. I have no excuse. I've been eyeing that CC for a couple of years now. I need to get it and use it.

:stupidcreatureofhabit:

Scooted into Fresh Market today, found the Amy's Mac n Cheese for $5.49, that's a lot less than $6.79 at Publix
Tuesdays they sell ground chuck for $3.99 and I typically don't eat much red meat but they also sell chicken breasts for $3.99 and even the chicken cutlets I like to buy there are marked down to $4.99 a pound, I quickly loaded up with a few pounds of chicken to take me out to the weekend.

it doesn't always have to be bad news when you shop, i'm just sick and tired of Publix and could go on and on about how they run things there.

Last edited:
Beer is the one thing that went up that we refused to adapt to. Well, our beer purchasing habits anyway. We try to stick to our monthly grocery number, so we've cut corners to fit this while staying under that number. Seems the one thing we've generally done to combat is cutting the impulse buys at Costco.

Ground Turkey used to bogo once every couple months and we'd load up, but I haven't seen that ad since covid. The local market has sprinkled in some turkeys for $3.99/lb recently after going at least a year without seeing that price.

Beef seems to be trying to course correct - different animal but bacon too. But re the cow - after not seeing london broil bogo, ground beef < $4.99, steaks < $8.99, and tenderloins under $10.99 all of those have made cameos this summer. I've noticed similar with fish/seafood, which is a sight for sore eyes given the turkey issue.

One positive, my wife starting making her own pasta sauce rather than going the easy route with the jar as those prices crept up but tomatoes didn't. Next up, homemade pasta - the kids want to get that machine for my wife for xmas.

Another positive/negative depending on who you ask is bread - we were spoiled with an Entemann's outlet a block away in which we could get literally anything for a dollar (plus one-two freebies every time we were in). This place was incredible for the economy shopper, but it died with covid and now we're buying bread like everyone else so I don't eat much of it anymore (which is a good thing). It's obviously a constant for the kids though.

We splurged for vacation, but soda and chips (and equivalents) aren't a thing in our house anymore. I lost those battles 1-to-1 on occasion pre covid, but not on the other side. Frozen potato anything died too - down to real spuds only.

Ice cream though...that's my vice. And let me tell you I've been thrilled to see the couple of sales this summer. The $1.99 special was a nice teaser for the one day only $0.99 deal last weekend. Our freezer is bursting at the seams and I am loving every minute of it.

Speaking of $0.99, eggs finally dropped to that number again. Most fruit and veggies sporadically get down to those levels as well.

Overall, our spending on grocery is up, but with some corner cutting it's not a significant number. If anything the invisible hand is causing us to eat healthier - ground turkey withstanding anyway.
Some beer seems pretty expensive to me. Corona 12-packs are now well over $20
A lot of Florida Crafts run around $10.99/$11.99/$12.99 for 6 packs but these are typically a little more satisfying beer, don't need as many.
I also see some pretty high end 4-packs of beer from smaller brewery craft houses that can run from 420-$30+ for a 4-pack of tall boys, that will make you stumble backwards for a minute.

Every-damn-thing is more expensive. I shop weekly, so I've watched prices steadily rise for mostly everything. Another thing I've noticed is they either slimmed down package sizes or the quantity that you get for the old package size. Even toilet paper rolls got a little skinnier I noticed several months ago when refilling the rack in the bathroom. Used to have to shove them down in there, now they just drop in with a little room on the sides. Price is the same or a little higher for those smaller rolls.

We've moved most of ours to that card as well. Still need to up our game though ... we only got about $800 back last year. That said, if we had to pay our cell phones are fuel out of pocket, we'd probably be right there as well.

I have always been very frugal when it comes to food purchases. Now my penny pinching habits have been tested to the max. The most annoying thing in my area is that the two (non-Walmart) grocery stores seem to be coordinating their sales so the both have the same items on sale. Their regular grocery prices (non-meat items) are up anywhere from 50-150%; this is about double Walmart's price hikes. Where I have really been whacked in the wallet is pet food. Since covid hit, the cost of canned dog food has gone up over 100%. The dry food is almost a bargain as it is only up about 75%. Canned cat food is up about 80%. The good news is my whisky has only gone up a fraction of the food prices.

I have always been very frugal when it comes to food purchases. Now my penny pinching habits have been tested to the max. The most annoying thing in my area is that the two (non-Walmart) grocery stores seem to be coordinating their sales so the both have the same items on sale. Their regular grocery prices (non-meat items) are up anywhere from 50-150%; this is about double Walmart's price hikes. Where I have really been whacked in the wallet is pet food. Since covid hit, the cost of canned dog food has gone up over 100%. The dry food is almost a bargain as it is only up about 75%. Canned cat food is up about 80%. The good news is my whisky has only gone up a fraction of the food prices.
All's well that ends well.

WF has the reputation of being overpriced but I find if you shop the sales and buy their 365 brands it's about the same price and sometimes cheaper than other grocery stores especially if you're a Prime member.
Well, I'm certainly going to see if that's the case.

I'm a Prime member that hasn't been using WF much if at all.

However, I've had it up to here with grocery chains (and other types of stores) migrating to self-checkout. After waiting in line round 20 minutes for one of the two "full service" checkout lanes at the grocery store last week, I'd had enough. After I'd checked out I asked the cashier to have the store manager come out for a discussion. I told him that I'd been shopping at that store since I've lived here but would not be returning. When he asked why, I told him that waiting 20 minutes on a slow Friday morning to check out was unacceptable. He said he was trying to fix it. I told him it is not his fault, and that management was forcing the move to self checkout to make more money. You don't have to pay machines benefits. I just asked him to pass it up the chain that this move is losing them customers.

So I shopped at WF yesterday. The posts above are accurate in that sale prices and 365 items (which are A-OK with me) can keep costs down. However, a lot of the staples I buy are a little higher even with the 10% Prime discount. (I'm not adding another credit card but appreciate that it could reduce costs further.)

The BIG difference in shopping at WF is customer service. Unless yesterday was a one-off, they have numerous employees throughout the store to answer questions (not having shopped much there before I had no idea where some stuff was).
Also, at checkout, the cashier opened up my egg carton (not a euphemism) as she was ringing it up and noticed that one of the eggs was broken (and it was likely my fault as I typically check them before putting them in the cart). She called another employee over (seemed to be a "utility player" hanging around to help bag, etc.) and had her fetch another carton of eggs.

I track expenses closely so we'll see what the delta is in a few months. Regardless, even at slightly higher prices, I'm sticking with WF at least until they try to automate everything and force the cashier role on me.

Tangentially, I'd almost be open to doing self checkout if they offered a discount of say 3% off your bill. On a related note, WF gave me a gigantic $0.20 off for bringing my own 4 reusable bags.

I have like 10 different grocery selling companies within a 4 mile radius. I'm just playing the ad game, so our bill hasn't gone up much. That being said, the non sale price for some things seems insane. 7 bucks for a stick of deoderant from Walgreens? I'd rather stink than pay that.

We routinely go to 4-5 different places for our groceries based on price and quality. Enormous PiTA, but we despise overpaying. I wish I could convince my wife to forego some of the "name" brands she insists on, but I pick my battles ;)

Boar's Head is a ripoff.

Rice - Jasmine rice at Costco for $19 a 20lb. bag. I subdivide into freezer ziplocks and store.

7 bucks for a stick of deoderant from Walgreens? I'd rather stink than pay that.
I take a glance at Slickdeals every day. Stuff like this pops up regularly, usually an Amazon subscribe item (I subscribe then cancel).

The most annoying thing in my area is that the two (non-Walmart) grocery stores seem to be coordinating their sales so the both have the same items on sale.
I'm no legal beagle, but this sounds like anti-competitive behavior. Why don't you drop a dime to the DOJ while we still have a donkey president?
fyi some stores have same ownership, but operate under separate names, hence the sales.

All I know is the price of fruits and veggies just keeps going up as all the farmers out here (Utah/Colorado) keep sprouting up larger and larger $5M mansions on their properties.

We routinely go to 4-5 different places for our groceries based on price and quality. Enormous PiTA, but we despise overpaying. I wish I could convince my wife to forego some of the "name" brands she insists on, but I pick my battles ;)
Fwiw, my wife loves Aldi’s. So do we. I don’t know how they do it, probably by not being a publicly traded company or beholden to name brands, but that place probably saves us our retirement savings each month.

Fwiw, we pay probably twice our mortgage to food 🤷💸💸💸💸💸💸💸😕

Although we do have 1/4 pig on order at the end of the month and will probably buy another cow in October or November, split in half with my neighbor.

Fwiw, my wife loves Aldi’s. So do we. I don’t know how they do it, probably by not being a publicly traded company or beholden to name brands, but that place probably saves us our retirement savings each month.
If you live near a Winn Dixie, Aldi just bought them. :thumbup:

If you live near a Winn Dixie, Aldi just bought them. :thumbup:
Looks like the closest WD is 90 minutes away.

Fwiw, we pay probably twice our mortgage to food 🤷💸💸💸💸💸💸💸😕

Although we do have 1/4 pig on order at the end of the month and will probably buy another cow in October or November, split in half with my neighbor.
imo, lidl is better…..the bakery is the kicker.

We try and coupon and that saves $$. The problem is I am done with Walmart right now. We have done car-side pickup prior to Covid, but lately the quality just seems to have fallen off and going into our local one is like finding yourself in a 3rd world country. We find ourselves going to King Soopers a lot more and we do pretty well there with savings, but the final bill just seems to be higher.

All and all we are spending a ton on groceries right now with three of us in the house--wife, 19 year old daughter and me. The main reason is I retired at the beginning of August. I do 95% of the meal planning for us. With all my free time now, I have gotten into this terrible habit of waking up in the morning, planning a meal and then doing a daily shop for the ingredients. I love to cook, but $25-$30 a day to go get said fresh ingredients just isn't sustainable--even though I love pretending I am some famous chef walking through the local markets finding the freshest catches of the day :lmao:

The gas you’re using driving to 4-5 different places to grocery shop probably offsets the savings on the groceries.

The gas you’re using driving to 4-5 different places to grocery shop probably offsets the savings on the groceries.
Most of our stores are within 5-10 miles, so while there is some truth to this, it's negligible.

Most of our stores are within 5-10 miles, so while there is some truth to this, it's negligible.

Yep. The real question is whether your time is worth the money you're saving. I'll make two stops but anything more seems excessive and a huge time suck.

We expect things to be a little pricier here in NYC (Manhattan- should be cheaper in other boroughs). We live directly above a "gourmet" market (Union market) where some things are pricier than our local supermarket or WF, but otherwise the same or less.

Definitely more expensive than when we visit OC MD.

visited my mom in Sausalito, CA over the weekend. went to the local super market I grew up going to. EVERYTHING was $1-2 more than the most expensive item at any of our markets, including the pricier gourmet market. every. single. item. even our 12yo daughter saw it and said we should just find another place (Safeway in the next town over). FU Molly Stones Super Market.

Users who are viewing this thread