What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harbaugh's ego (1 Viewer)

This is going to end in tears...
I see a 30 for 30 movie in about 20 years. It could go one of two ways. First Harbaugh leaves and goes to the Jaguars, Browns or something and takes that team to new heights and the 49er's fall back into obscurity or second Harbaugh leaves and flops as a coach and the 49ers continue to be one of the NFL's best franchises. Either way I will watch it.

Edit: Actually it could go a 3rd way where both Harbaugh and the 49er's fall flat on their faces. What if I told you that two men that couldn't stand each other, should have stayed together.
See Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson.

I see a 30 for 30 movie in about 20 years. It could go one of two ways. First Harbaugh leaves and goes to the Jaguars, Browns or something and takes that team to new heights and the 49er's fall back into obscurity or second Harbaugh leaves and flops as a coach and the 49ers continue to be one of the NFL's best franchises. Either way I will watch it.

Edit: Actually it could go a 3rd way where both Harbaugh and the 49er's fall flat on their faces. What if I told you that two men that couldn't stand each other, should have stayed together.
See Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson.
Good call I forgot about them.

Door #3. Go Hawks!

People can only handle a ######## for so long. I'd imagine his treatment of the refs is indicative of his overall personality. No accountability, always the refs fault. Never on him,

People can only handle a ######## for so long. I'd imagine his treatment of the refs is indicative of his overall personality. No accountability, always the refs fault. Never on him,
exactly

watch the guy for 1 half and you can see he is a tyrannical lunatic. I do not doubt he is a good coach, but that is not something you can put up with long term. he'll be better in college because 4 years is the MAX you have to put up with him s a player, and the players have no recourse

Will Jim Harbaugh be this generation's Bill Parcells?By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The Jim Harbaugh story in San Francisco is not going away. Sunday's column in the San Francisco Chronicle suggested that Harbaugh's "act has worn thin" with some key players.

The bigger concern long-term is a potential rift with the front office.

There have been many reports spelling out the differences between general manager Trent Baalke and Harbaugh. While 49ers CEO Jed York vocally dismissed a report that the team worked out a trade with the Cleveland Browns for Harbaugh, the organization has remained mostly quiet regarding all the reports of in-house friction. NFL Media's Michael Silver reported that the 49ers "weren't inclined to beg" to keep Harbaugh around.

It raises the possibility that NFL Media's Albert Breer brought up Monday: Could Harbaugh turn into this generation's Bill Parcells?

The Parcells model was well established by the end of his career. Pick an also-ran team, build up the organization from the field to the front office with "Parcells guys," create some drama, and get out of town.

Harbaugh hasn't stayed in one place for long as a head coach. As a source told Ann Killion of the Chronicle, the organization seems to "thrive on chaos and distraction."

The 49ers want to avoid the uncertainty because it could create to be a distraction throughout the 2014 season. (Think of the reports of Parcells negotiating with the New York Jets in the same week he was coaching the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.)

This scenario would be a growing possibility if Harbaugh and the 49ers don't progress on a potential long-term contract this offseason. Harbaugh wants to be paid like a Super Bowl winner, and the organization doesn't want to go that far. There is trepidation about handing the keys of the team over to Harbaugh for good.

Without a new deal, the reports about interest in Harbaugh are only going to pick up in the winter. We'll inevitably start to hear weekly rumors that big name colleges (Michigan?) or troubled NFL franchises are interested in Harbaugh. These reports bubbled up during and after the 2013 campaign, but they would grow exponentially if Harbaugh's contract remains unresolved.

Harbaugh has a dominant personality that might work better in short spurts. His abrasive and aggressive management style, like Parcells, is effective at making systemic changes. But can that style grow old? Even at Stanford, there was a sense it was time for Harbaugh to move on to another challenge in order to leave the program in the capable hands of David Shaw.

Both sides could be receptive to Harbaugh's departure after the 2014 season. The 49ers see Baalke as a potential lifer in the organization. Harbaugh already feels like a year-to-year proposition.

The latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast" works through our top 101 free agents and responds to some heat from Donte Whitner.

Fair enough. But do you not think that the team could have benefitted more from a vet? He's not improving as a passer or in reading defenses. His legs and fastball are other worldly, but he lacks the requisite mental skills to really put a team on his back. Maybe he can learn those.
To be honest, I'm putting this more on Harbaugh and Roman. As soon as they could they put him in the offense and literally let him run with it, adding a lot more plays and pretty much changing the offense on the fly. Harbaugh is a supposed QB Guru, but over the past three seasons the 49ers have had a mediocre passing offense. The design of the passing offense is just stupid. They have Kaep lining up in pistol, shotgun, as well as under center. He has a lot of offense thrown at him each week, and even this game they made adjustments on the fly to deal with the crowd noise. Overall Kaep seemed to be able to handle the crowd and being on the road in SEA even after turning the ball over during the 4th quarter to get them into a position to win. He made a great pass to Gore on a critical 4th down. Even then, Harbaugh failed to put him in a position to win because he had time outs and didn't use them.

I think they know what they have in Kaep, but I don't see them doing much to help him improve. GM Trent Baalke crapped the bed with his 2012 draft, Kaep had only one WR in Boldin most of the season, the 2013 draft has a lot of inactive players, and Gore hit a wall this game. A Vet QB would have to be on the level of Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers to deal with that. Andrew Luck knows the Harbaugh offense, so he would fit right in too. But they all play for other teams.

I give Kaep one more year, and then see what they do with him. You can ask any 49er fan here about what I have thought about Kaep this season, and they'll attest that I have been harsh on him late in the season.
Your "harsh" is most rational people's "delusional".
Whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Coach Jim Harbaugh said there's "zero opportunity or chance" that he'll leave the 49ers before his contract expires at the end of the 2015 season.
"If that existed, it existed in somebody else's mind, not mine. I am too fond of my team, the players, the coaches. I really feel like we have one of the best, if not the best organizations in football," Harbaugh said. Harbs denies there's any rift between he and GM Trent Baalke regarding power and also denies that he's seeking a contract extension. Of course, with Harbaugh, we take everything with a grain of salt. He doesn't reveal much and is likely just trying to right the ship.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Harbaugh isn't exactly a media darling, so I can imagine any time things don't go smoothly there are sports writers lining up ready to portend his ultimate failure.

Are the penalties troubling? Yes. But IMO the reason is pretty simple. This is a defense that is missing more than half of their starters from last year and is getting beat straight up. They're not used to losing that battle and are getting frustrated. Add in the new ticky tack hands to the face, illegal contact fouls which further compounds the frustration.

Harbaugh isn't exactly a media darling, so I can imagine any time things don't go smoothly there are sports writers lining up ready to portend his ultimate failure.

Are the penalties troubling? Yes. But IMO the reason is pretty simple. This is a defense that is missing more than half of their starters from last year and is getting beat straight up. They're not used to losing that battle and are getting frustrated. Add in the new ticky tack hands to the face, illegal contact fouls which further compounds the frustration.
They still have enough talent to win games on defense. The only starter they really miss is Bowman, and maybe a Vet at NT like Dorsey. But that 3-4 is baked in so well that you can plug in LBs and still scheme a Top 5 defense. So your making excuses here.

The Harbaugh Era is short term. Why? Because the Yorks still own the team. It only took them 3 years to screw it up too. They think they can win with Trent Baalke and Jim Mora Jr., who if he gets UCLA into the Rose Bowl will be on the short list with David Shaw. You have to remind yourself who owns this team. Not "Jeddie", who, lol, his own parents had to sell the fans that he wasn't like them. Even though he is.

They still have enough talent to win games on defense. The only starter they really miss is Bowman, and maybe a Vet at NT like Dorsey. But that 3-4 is baked in so well that you can plug in LBs and still scheme a Top 5 defense. So your making excuses here.

The Harbaugh Era is short term. Why? Because the Yorks still own the team. It only took them 3 years to screw it up too. They think they can win with Trent Baalke and Jim Mora Jr., who if he gets UCLA into the Rose Bowl will be on the short list with David Shaw. You have to remind yourself who owns this team. Not "Jeddie", who, lol, his own parents had to sell the fans that he wasn't like them. Even though he is.
Gotta disagree wholeheartedly. The pass rush right now is very underwhelming without Smith and Jimmie Ward is getting picked on badly. This defense used to be able to just run their base 3-4 and handle the run/pass with equal aplomb. Now they're being forced to guess and blitz and so far it's not working out.

Gotta disagree wholeheartedly. The pass rush right now is very underwhelming without Smith and Jimmie Ward is getting picked on badly. This defense used to be able to just run their base 3-4 and handle the run/pass with equal aplomb. Now they're being forced to guess and blitz and so far it's not working out.
They won games without Aldon Smith, and still can win games without him. In fact, without Justin Smith, Aldon is pretty much a non-factor. They have to be prepared for life without him, since he is an incorrigible, immature drunkard who will be in trouble again.

They won games without Aldon Smith, and still can win games without him. In fact, without Justin Smith, Aldon is pretty much a non-factor. They have to be prepared for life without him, since he is an incorrigible, immature drunkard who will be in trouble again.
Be that as it may, the D is getting torched by the likes of Stanton and John Brown. Some of that is the secondary's fault, some of that falls on the lack of a pass rush. This D is without starters Smith, Bowman, Rogers, Whitner, Brown, Dorsey, all starters from last year. Most of these guys had been playing together for quite some time together. You don't just drop 6 starters from a defense and expect to maintain the same chemistry and rapport without skipping a beat.

Will they eventually perform at the level of last year's defense? Perhaps, but right now it hasn't been pretty.

Be that as it may, the D is getting torched by the likes of Stanton and John Brown. Some of that is the secondary's fault, some of that falls on the lack of a pass rush. This D is without starters Smith, Bowman, Rogers, Whitner, Brown, Dorsey, all starters from last year. Most of these guys had been playing together for quite some time together. You don't just drop 6 starters from a defense and expect to maintain the same chemistry and rapport without skipping a beat.

Will they eventually perform at the level of last year's defense? Perhaps, but right now it hasn't been pretty.
It took Fangio less than an off-season to bring the defense from the bottom third of the league in 2010 to #1 in 2011. Heck, during the Sing years, some thought the 4-3 was better suited due to the personell. Fangio can figure this out, even with Baalke as GM.

I'd pick on Jimmy Ward too. He may be this years A.J. Jenkins.

If it's the same veteran players complaining that were around when they were mired in mediocrity season after season then shame on them. Over the span of Coughlin's career in New York he has "lost the locker room" repeatedly and has 2 Superbowl trophies to show for it.

Yes, when there's smoke, there's usually a fire. I'm sure there are some players that take petty exception to Harbaugh's ways. Harbaugh has admitted as much when asked about the locker room "Sometimes people hate you, sometimes people love you"... IMO those players are welcome to go play for another team and sit at home in January and play all the cards and listen to all the music they want.

Rotoworld:

FOX's Jay Glazer "doesn't see any way" Jim Harbaugh is back with the 49ers in 2015, "even if" they win the Super Bowl.

Per Glazer — the NFL's most plugged-in reporter — Harbaugh's act has "worn thin" throughout the entire 49ers' organization. It seems absurd that a team could be so ready to move on from a coach who's reached the NFC Championship Game every year of his NFL coaching career, but the smoke is so thick that there must be fire. If Harbaugh is the same way behind the scenes that he is on the sidelines, it's perhaps understandable that players and executives have grown weary. That being said, if Harbs is indeed let go, he'd be the hottest coaching candidate in recent memory.

Oct 5 - 12:29 PM

if he gets canned i hope that arrowhead university high school hires him in hartland they are ridiculous anyhow and after this crappy year they will need to do something to keep the luxury boxes at there high school games filled cripes take that to the bank brohans

I'll bet the denials have been going on for more than just this year.

Harbaugh's still there.

Perhaps because he, unlike Singletary, wins a lot.

Harbaugh's still there.

Exactly. If he gets canned Michigan or Miami will be happy to take him. SO he can go back to college or to the AFC east which is seeing some decline with Brady getting older and the jets a fiasco. Why bang heads in the toughest division in football… (actually this was his choice the first time around when he picked SF over Miami. The NFC west (at the time) was the worst division in football.)

Harbaugh's still there.

Exactly. If he gets canned Michigan or Miami will be happy to take him. SO he can go back to college or to the AFC east which is seeing some decline with Brady getting older and the jets a fiasco. Why bang heads in the toughest division in football… (actually this was his choice the first time around when he picked SF over Miami. The NFC west (at the time) was the worst division in football.)
I tend to think, like the article states, he won't go back to college ball.

Would be like a failure in his mind (unless he wins a SB).

Plenty of NFL teams would want him, I would think.

Even with his personality.

Harbaugh's still there.

I heard reports at the time that part of the basis of that decision was not wanting to be in the same conference as his brother.

If he gets let go, and I'm sure he will be, I believe he'll the most attractive unemployed head coach on both the NFL and NCAA level I've seen in a long time. It's not a matter of getting another job, it's a matter of him picking the job he wants. He'll be in massive demand.

I don't think he'll go back to college. To much unfinished NFL business.

If his brother remains in Baltimore I'd expect him to again want to stay in the NFC. John is obviously not getting fired but there were reports a year ago he was interested in the Michigan job if they let Hoke go which seems fairly certain now. And I can't imagine the Ray Rice fiasco has done anything to make John like his job more then he did last season.

Steve Corkran @CorkOnTheNFL

In a light moment during Harbaugh's news conference Sat., he said: "You would have liked to have known an 8- or 9-year-old Jim Harbaugh."

Steve Corkran @CorkOnTheNFL

Then, after a brief pause, #49ers coach Jim Harbaugh added: "Not much different than a 50-year-old Jim Harbaugh." To which he laughed.

Yeah, guys like Norv Turner and Jim Caldwell keep getting jobs, can't see Harbaugh being unemployed for long.
Norv only fails when he gets an HC gig. Keep him at OC and wherever he goes, that team improves. I always target guys where Norv is at. This year it's Charles Johnson.

Just keep this Harbug clown away from my pass catching RBs. I don't need him neutralizing another one. Had to ship Gore out this year.

Users who are viewing this thread