What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hard Knocks 2012 - Miami Dolphins (2 Viewers)

What were some other folks thoughts on Philbin?
I thought the whole conversation about dropping f-bombs and how using it rarely actually gives it emphasis while using it all the time just makes you look dumb was a very intentional shot at Rex Ryan. Philbin knew that conversation would make it on the show and took the opportunity to not only make a point to Chad, but make Rex's antics and constant f-bombs last year look like buffoonery.

I thought the whole conversation about dropping f-bombs and how using it rarely actually gives it emphasis while using it all the time just makes you look dumb was a very intentional shot at Rex Ryan. Philbin knew that conversation would make it on the show and took the opportunity to not only make a point to Chad, but make Rex's antics and constant f-bombs last year look like buffoonery.
Never occurred to me like that, but maybe. :shrug:

I actually thought of Rex Ryan immediately as well and how he did look like an idiot when he was on Hard Knocks. I did not consider whether Philbin was sending a message or not, but Rex was the first one that came to mind as Philbin said that. I also agree that Chad didn't hear a word Philbin said at the time, but I am sure Chad saw (on TV) Philbin's comment something to the effect of Chad not making the team if it continues. Side comment: I get that these coaches work long days, but it seems like a large percentage of coaches are either super-fat (Ryan, Holmgren, Reid, etc) or look like they have never lifted so much as a dumbbell (Philbin). You have world-class weight training and cardio facilities and your own strength and nutrition professionals. Use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's ridiculous to be making dire predictions on the guy's ability to be a head coach based on a few conversation snippets in his first week of training camp. I will say that CJ's act is stale. We've seen it before on the same show. Boring. I chuckled at the "If she makes you pause call of duty, she's the ####### one", but for the most part he comes off like a 14 year old idiot. Grow up already. Best moment of the night was rookie TE to girlfriend, "You look hot, as yoozsh." :lol: Loved the opening too. So harsh. Guy was so excited to be there, tells lady in elevator how tough the month is going to be. Then, gone in a flash. Tough biz.

i hope they show a glimpse of development of d. thomas and l. miller.... bush is likely to be injured at some point this season and really isnt a between the tackles guy. does anybody think these other guys can make a fantasy impact?

'ashishka said:
i hope they show a glimpse of development of d. thomas and l. miller.... bush is likely to be injured at some point this season and really isnt a between the tackles guy. does anybody think these other guys can make a fantasy impact?
I noticed this too. There was virtually no shots of RBs besides Bush playing FIFA with Chad J. One of the reasons for watching is to get a better grasp on how they are going to use the RBs...

And what was the deal with Eric Steinbach. Philbin cuts a rookie after the conditioning drill to bring in a guy he knew from ten years ago that has been out of football for over a year. After Steinbach's first workout he says to the camera, "All I need now is an ice bath and a cigarette." Huh?

'ashishka said:
I noticed this too. There was virtually no shots of RBs besides Bush playing FIFA with Chad J. One of the reasons for watching is to get a better grasp on how they are going to use the RBs...
this is not the show for that type of insight

And what was the deal with Eric Steinbach. Philbin cuts a rookie after the conditioning drill to bring in a guy he knew from ten years ago that has been out of football for over a year. After Steinbach's first workout he says to the camera, "All I need now is an ice bath and a cigarette." Huh?
He has a lot of dirt on Johnson as well. Telling him that his new lady made him change his name back...Johnson never said a sharp word back to him.

He has a lot of dirt on Johnson as well. Telling him that his new lady made him change his name back...Johnson never said a sharp word back to him.
he knows nothing about johnson. he mentioned something about how johnson is out partying all night drinking patron and everyone knows johnson does not drink alcohol. johnson even snapped back with that retort but it was hard to hear

Anyway, moving on...

Love the show, as always. Just great TV.

But, wow...I am so unimpressed with Philbin, thus far. A reason he has been an assistant for 10,000 consecutive days. Just does not strike me as HC material. Could be proved wrong, but how he handled the QB depth chart issue (forget how clueless he is in dealing with Chad), darn near apologizing for his decision? I dunno...I just don't see a commander in chief. I see a coordinator with the title of head coach.

Anyway, moving on...Love the show, as always. Just great TV.But, wow...I am so unimpressed with Philbin, thus far. A reason he has been an assistant for 10,000 consecutive days. Just does not strike me as HC material. Could be proved wrong, but how he handled the QB depth chart issue (forget how clueless he is in dealing with Chad), darn near apologizing for his decision? I dunno...I just don't see a commander in chief. I see a coordinator with the title of head coach.
:goodposting:

On Tuesday night, the 2012 edition of Hard Knocks debuted on HBO. On Wednesday, two players who served as focal points of the program took very different approaches in response to the show.According to Adam H. Beasley of the Miami Herald, receiver Chad Johnson had nothing to say.“I don’t do media anymore,” Johnson told reporters, possibly in response to the televised lecture Johnson received from coach Joe Philbin for the language he uses when speaking to the press.In contrast, cornerback Vontae Davis didn’t seem to be troubled by questions regarding his conditioning and aggressive coaching from Philbin.“Coach is supposed to be on you hard,” Davis said. “If he’s not on you hard, I shouldn’t even be out here. He wants me to be the best player I can be, and I want him to coach me hard.”A full-blown media boycott eventually will be costly for Chad. He’s required to be available after games and at least once per week.

Forgot to mention last night... it made me want to PUKE how the media members suck up to Chad. Laughing like jackasses at his stupid jokes while he's standing at the podium. Let's see how funny they think he is when he's not in the league anymore.

Watching now for the first time and I think that's reading A LOT into what Philbin said and purely speculative on your part. I didnt get the impression that he was thinking of Ryan at all but simply reacting to Chad's frequent F-bombs during his media session. As he mentioned to one of his asst coaches, he simply didnt think that was a good representation of the organization.As a first year coach of a team with many question marks, Philbin should be worried about his team and not trying to send any messages to a division rival, particularly about the use of colorful language. To be concerned with another coach's choice of words from 2 seasons ago when his focus is on getting this team together and trying to win games would be the buffoonery here. And I highly doubt that was the case.

Forgot to mention last night... it made me want to PUKE how the media members suck up to Chad. Laughing like jackasses at his stupid jokes while he's standing at the podium. Let's see how funny they think he is when he's not in the league anymore.
I've never seen the show, but, for me, one of the most unfortunate and uncomfortable things in sports to watch = reporters giggling and laughing at athletes ignorant jokes and comments.

Philbin - his 'rally the troops' speech on the eve of training camp seemed awfully generic.

Garrard - major chip on his shoulder. He was positioned last year as a guy who didn't prioritize football. When he was going thru last year, he specifically brought up 'being dumped by a team'.

Overall, this is interesting in the sense that this is the first time HK is covering a new regime and some of the unfamiliarity that everyone had with one another shone through. Seemed to be some awkward atmosphere.

Loved that Braylon Edwards had the blank stare when Ireland said they'd met before. Also...the puffy beard is gone.

Philbin forgetting that Chad couldn't go home to see his wife because it was his rule that wouldn't allow it! LOL!

How do you know when you're in the coaches doghouse? When the coach asks you if you've got your bladder taken care of. Why did I just think of Mark Schlereth?

Cobweb mode!

There's one guy on MIA's staff...when I see him at first glance I think it's Sparano.

Loved the masseuse busting on Tebow to a guy (Pouncey) who blocked for him in college.

good show as usual.

Ochocinco is loving the F bombs but looking good on the tape. Maybe he needs to be a thug to play well? He is one funny f---er!

Tannehills wife is worth hitting the 'pause' button. They are building hype for tannehill on the field.

Rooting for Moore after watching the show. He is the player's qb.

Reegie bush can play a mean game of soccer on ps3. He is having a better camp than last year.

I feel bad for the guy that got cut before the first practice.

NICE SLOW MOTION CHEERLEADER SHOTS!!!

The conversation philbin has with 85........for some reason I picture belichick saying it differently. philben just sounds like a wuss.......even when he tells them the depth chart.

That rookie free agent te that keeps getting his #### kicked............. he deserves it for abbreviating the word usually. ush????

Garrard - major chip on his shoulder. He was positioned last year as a guy who didn't prioritize football. When he was going thru last year, he specifically brought up 'being dumped by a team'.
I refuse to draft him until he stops using the word fantabulous.
:greatposting:Nails on a chalkboard, that scene.
I'm kind of rooting for Garrard. I think he was underrated at Jax with nobody else around him. I do think he's an idiot for water skiing in the opening scenes considering he missed last year because he had back surgery.

watched last night. what a boring ### team to follow. seriously, no personality at all. its like the signed Chad Johnson just so he could be the star of Hard Knocks.

watched last night. what a boring ### team to follow. seriously, no personality at all. its like the signed Chad Johnson just so he could be the star of Hard Knocks.
Oh, it's a terrible team. But, I don't see the boredom factor. At all. From the first day of camp cuts, to Steinbach's "ice bucket and a cigarette" quip, to Chad's antics, to Davis's conditioning, the QB fiasco, the team seriously giving consideration to a TE who can run but can't play football...all of it's just a great ol' fashioned drama for football fans. I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't enjoy this immensely, let alone consider the hour wasted.

Lots of hate in here for Chad's behavior, and I can understand why these opinions were formed. However, when you put him next to many of his peers at the position, he really is harmless. His only distraction is that he may try a little too hard to be funny, and is an attention hog. He brings only positivity to the environment though. He is not a detriment in any way to the team. In fact, I would say that if anything his personality is an asset. Lightens things up a little. I disagree that he was not listening to Philbin. I think he heard every word, and will take it to heart.

I think a lot of people are looking for reasons to hate here. Philbin came off fine to me. Loved the innovative practice techniques with 2 groups going back to back. Appreciated that he took the time to explain the depth chart to the QBs. I doubt most HC's would bother - they would just post them. I work for someone - I would prefer that they explain major decisions like that to me, even though they dont have to. He wanted to let everyone know that there was still a competition. Is that so terrible? And he "left on a high note", Costanza style. Don't get the hate here at all.

The conversation with Chad - He made clear what he thought of the press conference, and now he will see how Chad Handles it. Chad is 34 years old. He is a veteran, and an adult. Philbin treated him like one. Crucify him for that?

Oh, it's a terrible team. But, I don't see the boredom factor. At all. From the first day of camp cuts, to Steinbach's "ice bucket and a cigarette" quip, to Chad's antics, to Davis's conditioning, the QB fiasco, the team seriously giving consideration to a TE who can run but can't play football...all of it's just a great ol' fashioned drama for football fans. I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't enjoy this immensely, let alone consider the hour wasted.
Seems to be the common sentiment from just about everyone. I dont think they are a playoff team, but I dont think they are terrible. They will be a tough out every week. The defense is very good. Possibly top 10 (believe they were last year). The offense should be improved from last year's outdated run first, play for the FG mentality. This team started 0-7 last year with some very tough, close losses, and then kept it together to finish the last 9 games 6-3. The trend is up, and all they lost was a headcase WR who dropped 7 TD passes last year. They also gave a facelift to the right side of the OL, which was a mess last season.

Everyone puts them behind the Jets and Bills in the east. Could end up that way, but right now, I dont see why thats an easy call. Aside from Revis, the Jets are not significantly better than Miami at any position on the field. Neither are the Bills. Give me the winner of Miami's QB competition over Sanchez or Fitzpatrick, and if you disagree, you cannot possibly say it's an easy call. And if you look at it from a future perspective, give me Tannehill over any Jet or Bill QB currently on their roster.

Philbin - his 'rally the troops' speech on the eve of training camp seemed awfully generic.
It was pretty bad. I think he ended it with, "Okay, I guess that's it then", and then people politely clapped. If I'm giving a speech I want people to KNOW when it's done and burst out in a standing ovation and throw bouquets of flowers at me and say heil! heil! as they reach towards me with their outstretched hands with all their fingers pressed tightly together.

I think it's ridiculous to be making dire predictions on the guy's ability to be a head coach based on a few conversation snippets in his first week of training camp. I will say that CJ's act is stale. We've seen it before on the same show. Boring. I chuckled at the "If she makes you pause call of duty, she's the ####### one", but for the most part he comes off like a 14 year old idiot. Grow up already.

Best moment of the night was rookie TE to girlfriend, "You look hot, as yoozsh." :lol:

Loved the opening too. So harsh. Guy was so excited to be there, tells lady in elevator how tough the month is going to be. Then, gone in a flash. Tough biz.
:goodposting: I liked him last time he was on because he seemed natural. Now he seems like he is just playing to the cameras. I'd much rather follow the positional battles and get to know some of the lesser known guys and root for them to make the team. That's always the fun part of the show for me.

I will say that CJ's act is stale. We've seen it before on the same show. Boring.
:goodposting: I liked him last time he was on because he seemed natural. Now he seems like he is just playing to the cameras. I'd much rather follow the positional battles and get to know some of the lesser known guys and root for them to make the team. That's always the fun part of the show for me.
I agree with your agreement. Chad's act is as fresh as a Foghat concert.Dear Chad and HBO,

It's over. Nobody cares.

Loved that Pouncey has a man who trims his nose hairs for him. :lmao: at the other dude doing the Bob Ross impression. "Let's go back to the palette. Oh yeah, that's really nice. That's nice. Get it in deep."

Lots of hate in here for Chad's behavior, and I can understand why these opinions were formed. However, when you put him next to many of his peers at the position, he really is harmless. His only distraction is that he may try a little too hard to be funny, and is an attention hog. He brings only positivity to the environment though. He is not a detriment in any way to the team. In fact, I would say that if anything his personality is an asset. Lightens things up a little. I disagree that he was not listening to Philbin. I think he heard every word, and will take it to heart.

I think a lot of people are looking for reasons to hate here. Philbin came off fine to me. Loved the innovative practice techniques with 2 groups going back to back. Appreciated that he took the time to explain the depth chart to the QBs. I doubt most HC's would bother - they would just post them. I work for someone - I would prefer that they explain major decisions like that to me, even though they dont have to. He wanted to let everyone know that there was still a competition. Is that so terrible? And he "left on a high note", Costanza style. Don't get the hate here at all.

The conversation with Chad - He made clear what he thought of the press conference, and now he will see how Chad Handles it. Chad is 34 years old. He is a veteran, and an adult. Philbin treated him like one. Crucify him for that?
Full retraction on that comment. What a Richard.

NFL Films ‏@NFLFilms

Yes, our cameras were in the room as Chad Johnson was released from the team
This better be AWESOME or I'll be pissed. BTW, I'm sure Chad asked that no cameras be allowed during the meeting. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread