What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hard Knocks 2012 - Miami Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Dolphins will end up one of the two worst teams this season. Ownership might give Ireland one more year to see if his moves/picks pan out, but he could be fired at the end of this year. And if he goes, I think Philbin goes as well. The coach has no personality. The team has seemed to take on that lack of personality. They traded Marshall, cut Ocho without giving him much of a shot(he may have been done though) on a "third strike" based on a twitter post and dropping F-bombs in a press conf. (was he warned prior to that by his coach that swearing is for bad boys?), and they trade their best DB for picks overnight. So no talent, no identity, and a rookie QB. Not good.
Philbin is ####### dumb.

Dolphins will end up one of the two worst teams this season. Ownership might give Ireland one more year to see if his moves/picks pan out, but he could be fired at the end of this year. And if he goes, I think Philbin goes as well. The coach has no personality. The team has seemed to take on that lack of personality. They traded Marshall, cut Ocho without giving him much of a shot(he may have been done though) on a "third strike" based on a twitter post and dropping F-bombs in a press conf. (was he warned prior to that by his coach that swearing is for bad boys?), and they trade their best DB for picks overnight. So no talent, no identity, and a rookie QB. Not good.
Some think they will use those picks to acquire a WR...rumor mill down here.

One of my favorite parts of the episode was when Garrard poured his heart out while sitting next to his wife. "That was so hard watching the guys getting ready in the locker room. I've never had to go through that before." His wife didn't even acknowledge him, she was totally locked into what was happening on the field. They showed her jumping up with excitement a bit later at something that happened in the game. Hope she wasn't cheering on Pat Devlin.

One of my favorite parts of the episode was when Garrard poured his heart out while sitting next to his wife. "That was so hard watching the guys getting ready in the locker room. I've never had to go through that before." His wife didn't even acknowledge him, she was totally locked into what was happening on the field. They showed her jumping up with excitement a bit later at something that happened in the game. Hope she wasn't cheering on Pat Devlin.
She was scanning the field, mentally shopping for her next meal ticket.How about Eric Steinbach retiring at the ripe age of 32? I wouldn't like living in those bones for the next 40 years. These guys leave everything on the field, including in many cases their future health, mobility and longevity.

She was scanning the field, mentally shopping for her next meal ticket.How about Eric Steinbach retiring at the ripe age of 32? I wouldn't like living in those bones for the next 40 years. These guys leave everything on the field, including in many cases their future health, mobility and longevity.
For sure. Especially the o-lineman.

They just want to get rid of the knuckleheads. Loved Philbin taking the time to talk to the rookie defensive end. Some coaches don't mind the knuckleheads as long as they produce, not Philbin. Kind of crazy to say but he reminds me of Larry bird in his coaching/leadership philosophy. Ask Larry Bird about what knuckleheads can do to an organization. Philbin wants smart, coachable, "team" guys. His chat with Daniel Thomas said it all. Makes you think of how annoyed Parcells must have been when Jerry Jones insisted on having T.O. in Dallas. I thought the Davis trade showed courage and a dedication to the direction they're trying to go.

To me it seems like Ireland is completely conscious of the cameras and not comfortable with them, makes him come off awkward. He's trying too hard. He's not a good speaker either. His attempt to comfort Davis as he left the office was forced and odd. Or when he told davis his "consistency level needs to be more consistent." Then he tells him "that's probably why you got traded." Probably? You're the guy who made the trade. Why tell him the probable reason? Why not just tell him the reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it seems like Ireland is completely conscious of the cameras and not comfortable with them, makes him come off awkward. He's trying too hard. He's not a good speaker either. His attempt to comfort Davis as he left the office was forced and odd. Or when he told davis his "consistency level needs to be more consistent." Then he tells him "that's probably why you got traded." Probably? You're the guy who made the trade. Why tell him the probable reason? Why not just tell him the reason?
Yeah, out of Ireland, Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle, none of them seem to be very good speakers that are capable of even feigning any sense of relatability with the players; and a lot of the talk between the coaches and players appears to be highly negative, though it's possible those are just the bits that HBO is choosing to show.

One thing's for certain, no team has looked worse on this show than the Dolphins. I think back to the Jets, the Cowboys, the Bengals, they all had interesting storylines, interesting characters and coaches/execs that seemed reasonably competent. YES, EVEN THE BENGALS.

Miami simply looks pathetic, rudderless, very few above-average players, a very bland and aloof head coach and a GM that seems like a typical ##### boss. I'd love to root for the rookie QB, but as someone else mentioned, he doesn't seem to have much between the ears. Never before has the show made me actually dislike a franchise, but I'm rooting for them to fail and I'm putting Reggie Bush on the trading block in my local.

I don't know, but if a business is gonna pay you $10mill, I'd think I'd bone up on the particulars of the business...

I mean KC in the NFC east? really?

Doesn't he even watch the NFL on Thanksgiving for the past 10 years? Read a newspaper, maybe play some fantasy football with some high school buddies?

I was pretty concerned when I saw that.. I liked what I saw before that piece.. but now I don't know what to think of Tannehill...

Ireland is not long to be a GM much longer..

I flip flop on Philbin at times I like his style and other times I can't see how this guy is going to inspire this team...
This is just stupid. If you liked Tannehill before you were unaware he didn't know the divisions, you should still like him. He still has the same throwing motion, athleticism etc. It doesn't even show a lack of intelligence. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew them before week 1... but really, what would you want this guy spending his time studying? The NFL's divisions/teams? Or the NFL team he's going to face next week, their personnel and the game plan?

The guy had a high wonderlic (35?) and graduated with a pretty difficult major (Biology?)... I doubt there are any intelligence or work ethic issues. He just hasn't been exposed to that material. Material which will have absolutely no bearing on his success.

I don't know, but if a business is gonna pay you $10mill, I'd think I'd bone up on the particulars of the business...

Doesn't he even watch the NFL on Thanksgiving for the past 10 years? Read a newspaper, maybe play some fantasy football with some high school buddies?

I was pretty concerned when I saw that.. I liked what I saw before that piece.. but now I don't know what to think of Tannehill...

I flip flop on Philbin at times I like his style and other times I can't see how this guy is going to inspire this team...
This is just stupid. If you liked Tannehill before you were unaware he didn't know the divisions, you should still like him. He still has the same throwing motion, athleticism etc. It doesn't even show a lack of intelligence. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew them before week 1... but really, what would you want this guy spending his time studying? The NFL's divisions/teams? Or the NFL team he's going to face next week, their personnel and the game plan?

The guy had a high wonderlic (35?) and graduated with a pretty difficult major (Biology?)... I doubt there are any intelligence or work ethic issues. He just hasn't been exposed to that material. Material which will have absolutely no bearing on his success.
Some athletes don't care about pro leagues, they just play the game. Besides, he was too busy tagging hot tail daily and nightly for about the last 10 years to watch football on tv. "Hey Ryan, i can't believe you don't know the NFL divisions."

"Sorry, what'd you say? I was tagging hot tail and couldn't hear you."

One thing's for certain, no team has looked worse on this show than the Dolphins. I think back to the Jets, the Cowboys, the Bengals, they all had interesting storylines, interesting characters and coaches/execs that seemed reasonably competent. YES, EVEN THE BENGALS. Miami simply looks pathetic, rudderless, very few above-average players, a very bland and aloof head coach and a GM that seems like a typical ##### boss. I'd love to root for the rookie QB, but as someone else mentioned, he doesn't seem to have much between the ears. Never before has the show made me actually dislike a franchise, but I'm rooting for them to fail and I'm putting Reggie Bush on the trading block in my local.
And those aqua leather coaches !!!

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Ridiculous to question his intelligence over not knowing the divisions. Has nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence. Way overblown, but still kind of shocking. I just assume that everybody in the NFL is an NFL fan. Clearly, not the case. Does not make him any less of a quarterback, or any less intelligent though. He just doesnt really care what division the Chiefs play in.

'ChuckLiddell said:
'bonesman said:

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Ridiculous to question his intelligence over not knowing the divisions. Has nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence. Way overblown, but still kind of shocking. I just assume that everybody in the NFL is an NFL fan. Clearly, not the case. Does not make him any less of a quarterback, or any less intelligent though. He just doesnt really care what division the Chiefs play in.
His life turned upside down when he switched to QB in college, since that point he has been nonstop working on the game with Mike Sherman at his side. The guy has not taken days off thru the OTAs, the keys were handed to him, I can't imagine he concerns himself with stuff like mindless NFL trivia.

I don't get what you guys think is so important about knowing the divisions? Will it help him manage a game in progress? No. Does it have any effect on decisions he will be asked to make? No. "Oh, I decided to run for it on 3rd and short instead of pass, because I thought our opponent was in the NFC North. Turns out they're in the NFC East. Had I known that, I would have taken the pass option." :loco:

I don't get what you guys think is so important about knowing the divisions? Will it help him manage a game in progress? No. Does it have any effect on decisions he will be asked to make? No. "Oh, I decided to run for it on 3rd and short instead of pass, because I thought our opponent was in the NFC North. Turns out they're in the NFC East. Had I known that, I would have taken the pass option." :loco:
The only issue is that it MAY be an indication that he doesn't live the game.Most of us could name every team in every division by the time we were 8 years old.

'ChuckLiddell said:
'bonesman said:

His life turned upside down when he switched to QB in college, since that point he has been nonstop working on the game with Mike Sherman at his side. The guy has not taken days off thru the OTAs, the keys were handed to him, I can't imagine he concerns himself with stuff like mindless NFL trivia.
You guys are acting like knowing the NFL divisions is esoteric rocket science; five year old kids learn this kinda stuff in a week. I don't see how this information doesn't lead one to believe Tannehill is most certainly not passionate about football.

I don't see how this information doesn't lead one to believe Tannehill is most certainly not passionate about football.
He's always been passionate about football, just not NFL football.How many of us know what teams are in what divisions in the CFL? For most of his life, the NFL to him was like the CFL to us. He's from West Texas, not near Dallas or Houston, so he didn't have an NFL team growing up. High school football and college football were what he cared about.

I don't see how this information doesn't lead one to believe Tannehill is most certainly not passionate about football.
He's always been passionate about football, just not NFL football.How many of us know what teams are in what divisions in the CFL? For most of his life, the NFL to him was like the CFL to us. He's from West Texas, not near Dallas or Houston, so he didn't have an NFL team growing up. High school football and college football were what he cared about.
What evidence is there that allows us to assume this? The CFL comparison doesn't really make sense for multiple reasons, it's a league with 2nd rate players played primarily in a different country that gets essentially zero media coverage. I don't see how simply being born and raised in Texas wouldn't make someone who is passionate about football a Cowboys fan, even if if NFL football wasn't nearly as big as NCAA football, I'm sure the Cowboys still got an immense amount of media coverage.

What evidence is there that allows us to assume this? The CFL comparison doesn't really make sense for multiple reasons, it's a league with 2nd rate players played primarily in a different country that gets essentially zero media coverage. I don't see how simply being born and raised in Texas wouldn't make someone who is passionate about football a Cowboys fan, even if if NFL football wasn't nearly as big as NCAA football, I'm sure the Cowboys still got an immense amount of media coverage.
I think its weird too, but I get it.I have a few friends who are passionate about college football, and know little about the NFL. I personally am ridiculously passionate about the NFL, but dont follow college football at all. Where he grew up, the emphasis was on High School and College football. Even if there was plenty of coverage about the Cowboys, that does not mean he paid attention to it. That does not mean he is not a student of the game of football - it just means that he is not a student of the NFL.

Chris "7-11" Hogan got cut today. Showed some flash early but they couldn't seem to find time to give him much action in the preseason games. I don't think he made it on the field for #4. :kicksrock:

Okay Ryan Tannehill is officially an idiot. He asked David Garrard if he had a cardiologist to check his prostate.

Okay Ryan Tannehill is officially an idiot. He asked David Garrard if he had a cardiologist to check his prostate.
I was wondering if I heard that correctly. The other guys were kinda like ... :mellow:
And then when Garrard was talking about his yearly colonoscopy, he says, "Well I know what a colon is... and I don't like the sound of oscapy!" I really picture this guy making that FarveCo Durr Face.

I was wondering if I heard that correctly. The other guys were kinda like ... :mellow:
And then when Garrard was talking about his yearly colonoscopy, he says, "Well I know what a colon is... and I don't like the sound of oscapy!" I really picture this guy making that FarveCo Durr Face.
:lmao:Also, I'm certain that Garrard needs an annual colonoscopy due to his Crohn's disease.Most men don't even need one until they are over 40.

what a strange franchise. I'm not totally 100% sure about how the waiver rules work, but did they really release the Samoan d-lineman (who the Jets claimed and later released because I guess they like Marcus Dixon better) so that they could give David Garrard a couple more days to get healthy? What is the point of that? You've already made the decision to go with Tannehil and Moore is a capable #2. Plus they like what Devlin is doing. So you give up on a guy you supposedly like to give a 34 year old injured QB a few more days to prove he's healthy enough to be your # 3? Makes absolutely no sense unless I'm missing something.

'TLEF316 said:
what a strange franchise. I'm not totally 100% sure about how the waiver rules work, but did they really release the Samoan d-lineman (who the Jets claimed and later released because I guess they like Marcus Dixon better) so that they could give David Garrard a couple more days to get healthy? What is the point of that? You've already made the decision to go with Tannehil and Moore is a capable #2. Plus they like what Devlin is doing. So you give up on a guy you supposedly like to give a 34 year old injured QB a few more days to prove he's healthy enough to be your # 3? Makes absolutely no sense unless I'm missing something.
They were hoping to trade garrard or Moore. They got no calls. Lol

I think jeff Ireland sucks. I think philbin is a #### and it doesn't seem like he is a good motivator or that he connects well with his players. The players also don't seem to like him very much. I'm not a fan. I think he is in over his head as a head coach. Sherman would probably be better as a head coach of the dolphins than philbin. He shows that he can be a disciplinarian but also shows a human side with the players and he has "umph"...personality.

I think jeff Ireland sucks. I think philbin is a #### and it doesn't seem like he is a good motivator or that he connects well with his players. The players also don't seem to like him very much. I'm not a fan. I think he is in over his head as a head coach. Sherman would probably be better as a head coach of the dolphins than philbin. He shows that he can be a disciplinarian but also shows a human side with the players and he has "umph"...personality.
I'm with you on Ireland. He has had plenty of time, and the team has gotten worse, not better in his tenure. The fact that they are clearly in a full fledged rebuild right now does not speak well to his personnel evaluation. A rebuild should come after a peak - this team has been mired in a valley for pretty much his entire tenure, barring the one Pennington year. Not seeing what you are seeing with Philbin though. I like him, and think if given 3 years to install his system with his players, that he has a good chance to turn this team around. No coach is going to look good right away with that talent, so judging him off of 4 preseason games with a terrible roster is premature. I personally have not seen anything on Hard knocks that indicates that he does not connect well, or that the players dont like him. I do believe that to be true of Ireland though.

'TLEF316 said:
I though if you take a guys from waivers he has to go on active roster or is that off a PS? Maybe I'm confusing the 2.

Worst Hard Knocks ever. So boring. No personality from the players and certainly no personality from the coach.
This. Did they even show Cameron Wake? He's the best player on the team and I didn't even hear him mentioned. I don't understand why they think we enjoy knowing everything about the undrafted guys that suck. Bush was like in one scene.

I came away from the Miami Hardknocks with the same feelings I had after the Cincinnati Hard Knocks... what a horribly run organization. They will be lucky to generate 4 wins this season.

The only issue is that it MAY be an indication that he doesn't live the game.Most of us could name every team in every division by the time we were 8 years old.
I think a big % of incoming NFL rookies, say 40%, would have trouble placing each NFL team in it's proper division. They'd get most of them. Divisions in NFL are not as automatic as say MLB. That said Tannehill seemed clueless.

Biggest things I took from the episode this week.

1. Joe Philbin will do whatever ireland tells him to do.

2. ...he is a terrible evaluator of talent.
1) Probably has something to do with the fact that Ireland is his boss.2) Davis is lazy. Most lazy guys don't make it in the NFL.
:goodposting: The Philbin hate is out of control. Rex Ryan says let's go eat a snack, steals cookies and gives John Connor an obvious nickname and people fawn over him. That guy's a buffoon. Philbin's a cerebral guy with an attention to detail but somehow he doesn't have what it takes to be a head guy? I see a guy with a long term plan taking it one baby step at a time. The guy is meticulous. He had something to do with getting that Packer offense to where it is, that should count for something. Honestly, if they didn't go with Tannehill I'd have said they were a playoff team. I really think they panicked drafting Tannehill and now they feel they have to ride him. If they had addressed another concern in the draft and given Moore another season I'd say they'd have been a playoff team for sure.
I appreciate the opinion but from the majority of the DolphinNation let me say... :lmao:

You ready to take this back yet? They're a couple of missed kicks from being 6-1. Can't believe you call yourself a Dolphins fan.

You ready to take this back yet? They're a couple of missed kicks from being 6-1. Can't believe you call yourself a Dolphins fan.
Been writing all along in the Dolphins thread. Glad to eat my words and if you are a Dolphin fan you know what the last 15-20 years have been like.
They were this good in the 2nd half of last year.
10-6 over their last 16 games. Finally seeing a light at the end of what has been a long and hellacious tunnel. Give me one of Bowe/Jennings/Wallace next year, and we are in business!

Been writing all along in the Dolphins thread. Glad to eat my words and if you are a Dolphin fan you know what the last 15-20 years have been like.
Big deal, they started off 0-7, went 1-15 a few years back. Show me what they have done since Marino retired 13 years ago.Bo, there are a handful of Phinsfans in here ever since I can remember. Phins threads are amongst the least traffic of any. Are you a Dolphins fan?

Big deal, they started off 0-7, went 1-15 a few years back. Show me what they have done since Marino retired 13 years ago.Bo, there are a handful of Phinsfans in here ever since I can remember. Phins threads are amongst the least traffic of any. Are you a Dolphins fan?
I don't know what you're talking about. All I said was this season's squad was a potential playoff team and you, as a dolphin "fan" no less, insinuated that I didn't know what I was talking about. As I said before the season this is a good team, and they were a sneaky good team in the 2nd half of last season. You laughed when I said that 2 months ago, you're not laughing now. The end.

so what's the latest thoughts on Jeff Ireland for the rest of your fins fans? I can't stand the guy but it is getting harder and harder to get rid of him.

So after watching this year's season of HK, the one WR that really stood out to me as a player to watch was Rishard Matthews. He's been inactive for every game this season (I believe) despite being the most talented WR on the field in many of the Phins preseason games.

What's the homer inside scoop on Matthews? Is his shot coming next season? Is he a headcase party thug?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't know what you're talking about. All I said was this season's squad was a potential playoff team and you, as a dolphin "fan" no less, insinuated that I didn't know what I was talking about. As I said before the season this is a good team, and they were a sneaky good team in the 2nd half of last season. You laughed when I said that 2 months ago, you're not laughing now. The end.
Hey Bo.No updates this week?

Users who are viewing this thread