What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has FBG gone the SJW way of Florio/Berry with the Redskins name? (1 Viewer)

Bighittz56 said:
It comes down to this. The liberal white champion SJWs have decided that this is something that demands the attention of all, and won't stop until everyone agrees with them. Those that don't agree are deemed racist, insensitive, bigots etc. This from those that laughingly describe themselves as "tolerant."
:lol: :lol:

You could always do the anti-liberal thing and go start your own business/message board. I don't think you realize how far FBG's arm reaches in the fantasy football world. Your lost subscription, if you are going to make a stand in that manner, is pennies compared to what FBG's has at risk overall.

Alias check since this poster has fewer than 30 posts.

Bighittz56 said:
pinequick said:
rude classless thugs said:
Bighittz56 said:
Das Boot said:
Bighittz56 said:
So, I was downloading my recent FBG podcasts and I noticed the NFC East team previews. Giants, Eagles, Cowboys... Washington?!?!?

Since when did FBG decide to bow to Pelosi, Reid, Flowerio and Berry and decide to go the PC, SJW route???

I have been a loyal fan for years, but this will definitely change my outlook on FBG in general.
See if you can go out and find a Native American or two and call them Redskins.

I think you'll feel better and it will cheer you up.
Not really sure what that has to do with anything. I'm 6'5 240, and I don't think you would walk up to me and call me a Giant. Or up to a guy with a Western hat on and call him a Cowboy. Or a large, hairy, homosexual man and call him a Bear...
I honestly hope this is someone trying to be intentionally obtuse.
Has to be schtick. I know people this dumb, but none that post on here.FBGs errs on the side of not offending a racial minority, in a way that does absolutely no harm to anyone else whatsoever. What a bunch of a33holes!!!
Those that don't agree are deemed racist, insensitive, bigots etc. This from those that laughingly describe themselves as "tolerant."
This, and it's various applications, might be my favorite argument of all time.

pinequick said:
I am so tired of the "vocabulary police" trying to enforce their sense of what words should be in others' vocabularies!!
You and me both my friend! I think it's ridiculous that a vocal minority is trying to enforce their sense of of what words we should and should not be able to use!
:whoosh: Get your pants out of a twist. Vocal minorities have oftentimes been on the right side of history--and they have used public appeals to become the majority. The Redskins (as part of the NFL) are a private enterprise who make their income from the public. If the public doesn't like their product, then they won't buy it. If the opponents to the Redskins name have arguments that resonate with the public, they'll win. And the team will have a different name. And maybe that name won't be offensive to a racial minority. No big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bighittz56 said:
It comes down to this. The liberal white champion SJWs have decided that this is something that demands the attention of all, and won't stop until everyone agrees with them. Those that don't agree are deemed racist, insensitive, bigots etc. This from those that laughingly describe themselves as "tolerant."
:lol: :lol:You could always do the anti-liberal thing and go start your own business/message board. I don't think you realize how far FBG's arm reaches in the fantasy football world. Your lost subscription, if you are going to make a stand in that manner, is pennies compared to what FBG's has at risk overall.

Baby steps, my friend.

No alias. I typically listen to podcasts and visit the FBG main site. The Dominator is a cool feature to practice on as well. I wasn't sure where to go to see if FBG had made some kind of announcement that this was a stance they were taking, so I came here. As you said, the FBG arm reaches far in the FFB world, so you would think they had made some sort of statement.

Bighittz56 said:
:lol: :lol:You could always do the anti-liberal thing and go start your own business/message board. I don't think you realize how far FBG's arm reaches in the fantasy football world. Your lost subscription, if you are going to make a stand in that manner, is pennies compared to what FBG's has at risk overall.

Baby steps, my friend.

No alias. I typically listen to podcasts and visit the FBG main site. The Dominator is a cool feature to practice on as well. I wasn't sure where to go to see if FBG had made some kind of announcement that this was a stance they were taking, so I came here. As you said, the FBG arm reaches far in the FFB world, so you would think they had made some sort of statement.
I think they did.

pinequick said:
I am so tired of the "vocabulary police" trying to enforce their sense of what words should be in others' vocabularies!!
You and me both my friend! I think it's ridiculous that a vocal minority is trying to enforce their sense of of what words we should and should not be able to use!
:whoosh: Get your pants out of a twist. Vocal minorities have oftentimes been on the right side of history--and they have used public appeals to become the majority. The Redskins (as part of the NFL) are a private enterprise who make their income from the public. If the public doesn't like their product, then they won't buy it. If the opponents to the Redskins name have arguments that resonate with the public, they'll win. And the team will have a different name. And maybe that name won't be offensive to a racial minority. No big deal.
It seems as though you are arguing with yourself, but ok. Thanks for your input.

Bighittz56 said:

Baby steps, my friend.

I think they did.
Apparently so, but in a veiled manner. Surprised they wouldn't shout it from the rooftops, proclaiming how righteous and just they are, as Flowerio and Berry did.

pinequick said:
It seems as though you are arguing with yourself, but ok. Thanks for your input.
Double :whoosh: .

You: "I am so mad at FBGs for taking a word out of their vocabulary!! That's BS!!"

Me: "Yeah, vocabulary police--people who pay an inordinate amount of attention to words that others choose to use or not use--can really be annoying, huh??"

You: "Yeah!! Wait... what?"

Bighittz56 said:

Baby steps, my friend.

I think they did.
Apparently so, but in a veiled manner. Surprised they wouldn't shout it from the rooftops, proclaiming how righteous and just they are, as Flowerio and Berry did.
There's no need to shout it... just start doing the right thing once you realize what it is.

pinequick said:
Double :whoosh: .You: "I am so mad at FBGs for taking a word out of their vocabulary!! That's BS!!"

Me: "Yeah, vocabulary police--people who pay an inordinate amount of attention to words that others choose to use or not use--can really be annoying, huh??"

Yes, YOU are the vocabulary police as well it seems. You, and your fellow SJWs, don't want anyone to use certain words, as it offends you and your gentle nature. And yes, it is annoying.

My point is that FBGs suddenly stops using a word they have had no issues uttering a gazillion times in the past. I have issues with the veiled way they have done it. If that is the stance they are taking, that is fine. Let everyone know so we can move on to other publications that aren't so PC.

pinequick said:
Double :whoosh: .You: "I am so mad at FBGs for taking a word out of their vocabulary!! That's BS!!"

Yes, YOU are the vocabulary police as well it seems. You, and your fellow SJWs, don't want anyone to use certain words, as it offends you and your gentle nature. And yes, it is annoying.

My point is that FBGs suddenly stops using a word they have had no issues uttering a gazillion times in the past. I have issues with the veiled way they have done it. If that is the stance they are taking, that is fine. Let everyone know so we can move on to other publications that aren't so PC.
Dude, FBGs didn't even make a big deal out of it. You did. So who is the vocabulary police in this scenario?

You're a reactionary in search of something to be outraged about.

There's no need to shout it... just start doing the right thing once you realize what it is.
So you honestly believe they just now have had a 'come to Jesus' moment and realize how racially insensitive they are? Or the more likely scenario; they just don't want to catch the ire of the vocal minority that may view them as such?

pinequick said:

Sounds like a good plan.

Priceless statement coming from the land of the outraged-over-everything-and-anything cuckoos. No, really. That was funny!

I will agree with you on one point though. The Redskins are a product. Let the consumers decide whether or not to buy their products. If the public decides that the product is something they don't wish to partake in, then the product will fail, and/or be forced to change.

Priceless statement coming from the land of the outraged-over-everything-and-anything cuckoos. No, really. That was funny!

I will agree with you on one point though. The Redskins are a product. Let the consumers decide whether or not to buy their products. If the public decides that the product is something they don't wish to partake in, then the product will fail, and/or be forced to change.
So is FBGs. Sooo... bye?

So you honestly believe they just now have had a 'come to Jesus' moment and realize how racially insensitive they are? Or the more likely scenario; they just don't want to catch the ire of the vocal minority that may view them as such?
Without knowing the answer, I'd guess they've been considering it for a while.

I doubt it was a "come to Jesus" moment... it just finally was time to do it.

They weren't catching any flak before the change... but I'm sure they realized they'd catch hell from people opposed to the change once they made it.

Which IMHO is pretty ####### weird. Why do you care so much? It's fantasy football content. No other outlet for your outrage these days? Really? Nothing?
I enjoy coming here to crush fragile egos. The tears of the SJW are the sweetest of them all!

No, in all seriousness, it's just disheartening to have something I enjoy ruined by the PC bandwagon that is sissifying our country. Every time I heard Bloom carefully sound out the word "Washington it made me shake my head. No outrage, just disappointment.

Which IMHO is pretty ####### weird. Why do you care so much? It's fantasy football content. No other outlet for your outrage these days? Really? Nothing?
I enjoy coming here to crush fragile egos. The tears of the SJW are the sweetest of them all!

No, in all seriousness, it's just disheartening to have something I enjoy ruined by the PC bandwagon that is sissifying our country. Every time I heard Bloom carefully sound out the word "Washington it made me shake my head. No outrage, just disappointment.
Good god, you're a delicate flower. The projections aren't different. The daily emails aren't different. The Dominators aren't different.

If this is fodder for disappointment in your world, the masses long to live your idyllic existence.

They weren't catching any flak before the change... but I'm sure they realized they'd catch hell from people opposed to the change once they made it.
I kind of disagree. They may not have been catching flak for using the term, but they were certainly anticipating it if they decided to make the switch.

And if they knew they would catch hell from those opposed to the change, you would have expected them to prepare some kind of statement, right?

Just seems strange that they wouldn't do it in a public manner. If they want to police themselves in that way, that's fine. I just don't like the hush hush way they did it.

Of all the times to make this argument, a Friday night in the off season. During the season a Friday night is dead and the off season is even more dead. Can't wait for the Monday crowd to see this... wait, this should be on page 4 by then so hopefully it isn't bumped.

First time I ever heard the expression "SJW" ever. Thank heavens for that cause its a stupid expression.

I kind of disagree. They may not have been catching flak for using the term, but they were certainly anticipating it if they decided to make the switch.

And if they knew they would catch hell from those opposed to the change, you would have expected them to prepare some kind of statement, right?

Just seems strange that they wouldn't do it in a public manner. If they want to police themselves in that way, that's fine. I just don't like the hush hush way they did it.
I think it's classier to just do it rather than try to garner praise for doing it.

But I'll guess there will be enough complaining about the change that they'll find it necessary to make a statement about their decision.

It's a conspiracy! C - O - N ... spiracy! :rant:

Good god, you're a delicate flower. The projections aren't different. The daily emails aren't different. The Dominators aren't different.

If this is fodder for disappointment in your world, the masses long to live your idyllic existence.
A delicate flower? LOL ok, cream puff. Go chain yourself to a tree. For everybody.

Maybe ruined is a strong word. Is tarnished better for you?

I used to think that another word for "getting cheated on a deal" was called getting "jipped"--that's even how I spelled it in my mind. My mom said it all the time. A few years ago, I said that I "got jipped" in front of a woman I worked with. She then explained to me that the term was actually a derogatory term used towards gypsies (spelled "gyped"). I had not known that, and wasn't aware that it could be construed as an offensive term towards a certain group of people. Now I just say that I feel I "got cheated."

Any chance that the folks at FBGs had the same experience? You know, that they are just sort of mature adults who would rather not use derogatory terms if possible?

ETA: BTW, I did not issue a press release about ceasing to use the word "gyped". I just don't use it anymore.

Of all the times to make this argument, a Friday night in the off season. During the season a Friday night is dead and the off season is even more dead. Can't wait for the Monday crowd to see this... wait, this should be on page 4 by then so hopefully it isn't bumped.
Oh man, I can't wait! What will they think? I wouldn't want anyone to think less of me and my 21k posts!

A delicate flower? LOL ok, cream puff. Go chain yourself to a tree. For everybody.

Maybe ruined is a strong word. Is tarnished better for you?
It's your thread complaining about words that FBGs uses or doesn't use. Feel free to use any words you like to express your outrage, vocabulary police.

I used to think that another word for "getting cheated on a deal" was called getting "jipped"--that's even how I spelled it in my mind. My mom said it all the time. A few years ago, I said that I "got jipped" in front of a woman I worked with. She then explained to me that the term was actually a derogatory term used towards gypsies (spelled "gyped"). I had not known that, and wasn't aware that it could be construed as an offensive term towards a certain group of people. Now I just say that I feel I "got cheated."Any chance that the folks at FBGs had the same experience? You know, that they are just sort of mature adults who would rather not use derogatory terms if possible?

ETA: BTW, I did not issue a press release about ceasing to use the word "gyped". I just don't use it anymore.
I could go with that, but you and I both know that's not the way it happened.

I used to think that another word for "getting cheated on a deal" was called getting "jipped"--that's even how I spelled it in my mind. My mom said it all the time. A few years ago, I said that I "got jipped" in front of a woman I worked with. She then explained to me that the term was actually a derogatory term used towards gypsies (spelled "gyped"). I had not known that, and wasn't aware that it could be construed as an offensive term towards a certain group of people. Now I just say that I feel I "got cheated."Any chance that the folks at FBGs had the same experience? You know, that they are just sort of mature adults who would rather not use derogatory terms if possible?

I absolutely do not know that that is not the way it happened.

I absolutely do not know that that is not the way it happened.
Keep telling yourself that. All the FBGrs just decided one day that they had been wrong all along, collectively.

Keep telling yourself that. All the FBGrs just decided one day that they had been wrong all along, collectively.
Oh, I thought you meant the folks who run the business (Bryant/Dodds).

Hey, if I:

1) owned a business, and

2) had the conversation that I mentioned above and

3) came to a realization that I might have been using language that offended folks, and

4) had people who represented my businsess who might also be using that language from time-to-time, then...

...I would make it absolutely clear that in representing my business, nobody should be using that terminology anymore. That would be easy. And it still wouldn't be the socio-political conspiracy that you are proposing.

Oh good sweet baby santa jesus christ.
:goodposting: This has been an educational thread. Never heard SJW before.

Is this guy mocking them by comparing them to people that make big public announcements while also complaining about them not making a big public announcement at the same time?

Jipped? I would have thought that was an Asian reference. Gypseys are real? Aren'tthey like hoppits? Christ....hobbits.

Hey, if I:

1) owned a business, and

3) came to a realization that I might have been using language that offended folks, and

4) had people who represented my businsess who might also be using that language from time-to-time, then...

...I would make it absolutely clear that in representing my business, nobody should be using that terminology anymore. That would be easy. And it still wouldn't be the socio-political conspiracy that you are proposing.
This makes some sense. The problem lies in the fact that in your above scenario, you had no clue what you were saying was offensive at all, until you were informed.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you believe the owners had no inkling that a boiling leftist volcano was brewing under their feet? They had never heard of any Redskins name controversy? And that no one would notice if they suddenly stopped using the term?

You act like someone just came up and tapped David Dodds on the shoulder and explained to him that some people were offended by the term.

Hey, if I:

1) owned a business, and

This makes some sense. The problem lies in the fact that in your above scenario, you had no clue what you were saying was offensive at all, until you were informed.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you believe the owners had no inkling that a boiling leftist volcano was brewing under their feet? They had never heard of any Redskins name controversy? And that no one would notice if they suddenly stopped using the term?

You act like someone just came up and tapped David Dodds on the shoulder and explained to him that some people were offended by the term.
Oh, certainly they knew about it. But I'll admit to not really thinking a lot about the Redskins name (other than hating them as a Cowboys fan). But this latest round of social discussion has honestly made me think about it. Maybe I'm older, I don't know. But have you ever had those moments where you hear something and say, "Yeah, that just makes sense." It just makes sense that a group of people (who have been habitually exploited an exterminated) could be and are offended by the name. So I think it should go.

I wouldn't sell Joe and David short and say that they're just political pawns. Maybe they just had a similar experience. In short, I don't care--it's their business. I like their fantasy football stuff. I certainly don't go looking for explanations as to why/why not they don't use "Redskin" anymore.

Oh good sweet baby santa jesus christ.
:goodposting: This has been an educational thread. Never heard SJW before.

Is this guy mocking them by comparing them to people that make big public announcements while also complaining about them not making a big public announcement at the same time?
This guy is saying that every time a fairly major FFB contributor has taken this stance, they have said so. Peter King (FFB 'advice' used loosely), Mike Florio (absolute blowhard, but does get info out quick), Matthew Berry have all explained why they would no longer use Redskins in their writing or casts.

I don't like the stance, and I disagree with the stance. That's that.

To just omit it is out of the norm.

I'm glad to have introduced you to the acronym SJW, straight from the world of those with common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread