What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has FBG gone the SJW way of Florio/Berry with the Redskins name? (1 Viewer)

Under articles and teams stats they are still listed as the. Washington Washington's so we are still good.

ETA wtf?o

In the overall scheme of things it does not matter if fig drops the redskins part of the name, but it does make me sad that they feel they should do it. My opinion is as long as it's the official name that is what you call them.

Oh, I thought you meant the folks who run the business (Bryant/Dodds).

Hey, if I:

1) owned a business, and

2) had the conversation that I mentioned above and

3) came to a realization that I might have been using language that offended folks, and

4) had people who represented my businsess who might also be using that language from time-to-time, then...

...I would make it absolutely clear that in representing my business, nobody should be using that terminology anymore. That would be easy. And it still wouldn't be the socio-political conspiracy that you are proposing.
This makes some sense. The problem lies in the fact that in your above scenario, you had no clue what you were saying was offensive at all, until you were informed.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you believe the owners had no inkling that a boiling leftist volcano was brewing under their feet? They had never heard of any Redskins name controversy? And that no one would notice if they suddenly stopped using the term?

You act like someone just came up and tapped David Dodds on the shoulder and explained to him that some people were offended by the term.
Oh, certainly they knew about it. But I'll admit to not really thinking a lot about the Redskins name (other than hating them as a Cowboys fan). But this latest round of social discussion has honestly made me think about it. Maybe I'm older, I don't know. But have you ever had those moments where you hear something and say, "Yeah, that just makes sense." It just makes sense that a group of people (who have been habitually exploited an exterminated) could be and are offended by the name. So I think it should go.I wouldn't sell Joe and David short and say that they're just political pawns. Maybe they just had a similar experience. In short, I don't care--it's their business. I like their fantasy football stuff. I certainly don't go looking for explanations as to why/why not they don't use "Redskin" anymore.
Thank you for returning to civility, so I will too.

When I heard the arguments against the name, I thought about it too. I think everyone would that had been using the term all their lives.

Then you look at the counter arguments.

1. A small percentage of a very small percentage of people are offended by a word that has been used to describe a team for a century.

2. "Redskins" is meant to be viewed as a term signifying strength. Not a way to demean, but rather honor their warrior spirit.

3. High Schools on Indian Reservations use the Redskins as their mascot to this day. Compared to the N word, no one uses, obviously.

4. The word itself is used to describe the paint on the faces of the warriors before they went to battle, not skin color.

5. Native Americans themselves used the term to distinguish themselves from whites.

I could go on, but it wouldn't matter.

I have never heard the term Redskin used in a derogatory manner, only to describe a football team mascot, like 99.9% of folks.

I don't like that FBG has decided to go this route, but like you said, it's their product and they can do as they wish with it. A bit more transparency and explanation would be nice, though.

Oh, I thought you meant the folks who run the business (Bryant/Dodds).

Hey, if I:

1) owned a business, and

2) had the conversation that I mentioned above and

3) came to a realization that I might have been using language that offended folks, and

4) had people who represented my businsess who might also be using that language from time-to-time, then...

...I would make it absolutely clear that in representing my business, nobody should be using that terminology anymore. That would be easy. And it still wouldn't be the socio-political conspiracy that you are proposing.
This makes some sense. The problem lies in the fact that in your above scenario, you had no clue what you were saying was offensive at all, until you were informed.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you believe the owners had no inkling that a boiling leftist volcano was brewing under their feet? They had never heard of any Redskins name controversy? And that no one would notice if they suddenly stopped using the term?

You act like someone just came up and tapped David Dodds on the shoulder and explained to him that some people were offended by the term.
Oh, certainly they knew about it. But I'll admit to not really thinking a lot about the Redskins name (other than hating them as a Cowboys fan). But this latest round of social discussion has honestly made me think about it. Maybe I'm older, I don't know. But have you ever had those moments where you hear something and say, "Yeah, that just makes sense." It just makes sense that a group of people (who have been habitually exploited an exterminated) could be and are offended by the name. So I think it should go.I wouldn't sell Joe and David short and say that they're just political pawns. Maybe they just had a similar experience. In short, I don't care--it's their business. I like their fantasy football stuff. I certainly don't go looking for explanations as to why/why not they don't use "Redskin" anymore.
Thank you for returning to civility, so I will too.

When I heard the arguments against the name, I thought about it too. I think everyone would that had been using the term all their lives.

Then you look at the counter arguments.

1. A small percentage of a very small percentage of people are offended by a word that has been used to describe a team for a century.

2. "Redskins" is meant to be viewed as a term signifying strength. Not a way to demean, but rather honor their warrior spirit.

3. High Schools on Indian Reservations use the Redskins as their mascot to this day. Compared to the N word, no one uses, obviously.

4. The word itself is used to describe the paint on the faces of the warriors before they went to battle, not skin color.

5. Native Americans themselves used the term to distinguish themselves from whites.

I could go on, but it wouldn't matter.

I have never heard the term Redskin used in a derogatory manner, only to describe a football team mascot, like 99.9% of folks.

I don't like that FBG has decided to go this route, but like you said, it's their product and they can do as they wish with it. A bit more transparency and explanation would be nice, though.
Your "counterarguments" are laughable:

1. Curious how you have absolutely *any* reliable data on that. I do know that the Native American folks who have filed the trademark litigation over the past 15 years are not at all fond of the name.

2. Bull####. Link to Redskins as a slur.

3. Compared to 150 years ago, LOTS of people used the N-word. Now not many do. You're saying this is somehow different?

4. How is that even germane as a defense? (e.g. "Gyped" is a turn on the name "Gypsie"--doesn't mean it's not an offensive name).

5. Native Americans can do whatever the hell they want with the name (ref. African Americans and the n-word). They've earned it. That doesn't mean other people get to use it.

You could go on. But your arguments would be just as flimsy.

Go prove your own point though, if you are brave enough. Go up to a Native American friend (if you have one) and say, "Hey, you ol' Redskin, how ya doin'?" and see their reaction. See if they think it's derogatory. Try it a few times to a few different people... since it's not derogatory. Report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see...

A for-profit business stops using a word that many people consider a racial slur.

Another group finds it offensive that a business decides not to use a racial slur.

Pretty easy to see who's the overly sensitive panties-in-a-bunch bunch in this scenario.

You've gotta appreciate the that the person with the 2nd most posts in this thread who rolled in throwing insults was asking the OP why he cared so much and then revealed that he is a cowboy fan who hates the redskins.

You've gotta appreciate the that the person with the 2nd most posts in this thread who rolled in throwing insults was asking the OP why he cared so much and then revealed that he is a cowboy fan who hates the redskins.
Why is that? He's right.

You've gotta appreciate people who have never met a Native American in their life telling the world what they, as a group, think. I went to college near the Navajo Nation and there was a large Native American population at the school. I wore a Washington Redskins hat to school one day. It didn't take long for somebody to point out the idiocy in that. Like with anybody else, most have more important things to concern themselves with but to plenty of Native Americans the name on that team is a huge WTF-is-wrong-with-you-people. That is a fact.

HughHoney said:
Site has been up for 15+ years and now the term Redskins is suddenly offensive enough that the mods can't use it. PC goofs.
Slavery was legal for many years and then one side of the of the country decided to stop it? PC goofs.

As long as they are called the Washington Redskins, I think any site reporting on football should refer to them as such.

Why is that? He's right.

You've gotta appreciate people who have never met a Native American in their life telling the world what they, as a group, think. I went to college near the Navajo Nation and there was a large Native American population at the school. I wore a Washington Redskins hat to school one day. It didn't take long for somebody to point out the idiocy in that. Like with anybody else, most have more important things to concern themselves with but to plenty of Native Americans the name on that team is a huge WTF-is-wrong-with-you-people. That is a fact.
An ex-gf of mine was like 1/8 American Indian. I learned real quickly not to talk about mascots, her and her family were rabid about it.

I see the Redskins name listed everywhere. Team Reports, Depth Charts, Player Pages, etc

Maybe I just don't know the right places to look to find the great SJW FBG protest.

They weren't catching any flak before the change... but I'm sure they realized they'd catch hell from people opposed to the change once they made it.
I kind of disagree. They may not have been catching flak for using the term, but they were certainly anticipating it if they decided to make the switch.

And if they knew they would catch hell from those opposed to the change, you would have expected them to prepare some kind of statement, right?

Just seems strange that they wouldn't do it in a public manner. If they want to police themselves in that way, that's fine. I just don't like the hush hush way they did it.
I used to think that another word for "getting cheated on a deal" was called getting "jipped"--that's even how I spelled it in my mind. My mom said it all the time. A few years ago, I said that I "got jipped" in front of a woman I worked with. She then explained to me that the term was actually a derogatory term used towards gypsies (spelled "gyped"). I had not known that, and wasn't aware that it could be construed as an offensive term towards a certain group of people. Now I just say that I feel I "got cheated."

Any chance that the folks at FBGs had the same experience? You know, that they are just sort of mature adults who would rather not use derogatory terms if possible?

ETA: BTW, I did not issue a press release about ceasing to use the word "gyped". I just don't use it anymore.
Cheated!?!

Sure, go ahead and insult all those people who lost their property to feudal lords.

Nice!

:reported:

Bighittz56 said:
Das Boot said:
Bighittz56 said:
So, I was downloading my recent FBG podcasts and I noticed the NFC East team previews. Giants, Eagles, Cowboys... Washington?!?!?

Since when did FBG decide to bow to Pelosi, Reid, Flowerio and Berry and decide to go the PC, SJW route???

I have been a loyal fan for years, but this will definitely change my outlook on FBG in general.
See if you can go out and find a Native American or two and call them Redskins.

I think you'll feel better and it will cheer you up.
Not really sure what that has to do with anything. I'm 6'5 240, and I don't think you would walk up to me and call me a Giant. Or up to a guy with a Western hat on and call him a Cowboy. Or a large, hairy, homosexual man and call him a Bear...
Whatever Andre.

Why is that? He's right.

Well I guess its settled then since you called it a fact

Glad we got another thread going on this. No way this would have fit nicely in to the existing 51 pager covering this exact topic.

Hey Guys,

Yes, I've asked our guys to not use Redskins for a while now. Going well into last year. It's not something we made a giant stand over. We didn't go back and retroactively change anything. I just asked our guys going forward to use Washington instead. We didn't feel the need to make a lot of fanfare over it. I just did it.

I understand the side that would argue as long as the NFL uses, it's ok. I just don't agree with it. I feel the name is not ok. It's really not a lot more complicated than that.

And like with anything, the rules of the free market have the ultimate say. As an independent business, this is a choice we can make. In turn, our customers choose how they respond to our choices. If we make good choices we'll stay in business. If we choose poorly, we won't. That's business.

For the folks that disagree with us, I hope you can respect our position even if you disagree. Thanks.

J

Leave it to JB to mess up a good pissin' contest. Now what excuse will we have to pull out our penises and waive them around?

Hey Guys,

Yes, I've asked our guys to not use Redskins for a while now. Going well into last year. It's not something we made a giant stand over. We didn't go back and retroactively change anything. I just asked our guys going forward to use Washington instead. We didn't feel the need to make a lot of fanfare over it. I just did it.

I understand the side that would argue as long as the NFL uses, it's ok. I just don't agree with it. I feel the name is not ok. It's really not a lot more complicated than that.

And like with anything, the rules of the free market have the ultimate say. As an independent business, this is a choice we can make. In turn, our customers choose how they respond to our choices. If we make good choices we'll stay in business. If we choose poorly, we won't. That's business.

For the folks that disagree with us, I hope you can respect our position even if you disagree. Thanks.

J
So when you became a Social Justice Warrior, were there initiation rites and oaths of fealty to Nancy Pelosi or is it just like a sign-up sheet at the local gay rights visitors center?

Users who are viewing this thread