What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has FBG gone the SJW way of Florio/Berry with the Redskins name? (1 Viewer)

You have said you were a big Weird Al fan in the other thread. A slight tangent but do you believe Weird Al could have released Fat in today's hyper-sensitive climate?
Of course he could have. Whether it would be received as well is a more interesting question. I'm not sure of the answer. On the one hand, obesity is a bigger problem now than it was in the 80s, and people probably are more sensitive to it. On the other hand, "Fat" is pretty funny, and funny stuff generally gets a pass.

What if people picketed his concerts to not to perform it anymore or not to put it on a greatest hits album?
People can do what they want.

What if congress got involved and forced him to change the songs name (maybe "Phat" or "Rad")?
Congress, however, cannot do what it wants. It wouldn't be able to do that.

There has to be people who hear this song and feel put down or offended.
Maybe. I'm not aware of any organizations, or even any individuals, who are making it an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also don't think the word "Redskins" is typically used, at least in a football context, with any intent to offend; but I know that some do find it offensive, or at the very least distracting.
In the football context has the word Redskins ever been used with intent to offend? Ever? Have you personally ever met anyone who was offended when you referred to the NFL team in Washington as the Redskins? Ever?
"Ever" is a long time, so I'm not sure whether anyone has ever used the word Redskins in a football context with an intent to offend. If it's ever happened, I suspect that it's exceedingly rare. Of course, harmless intentions do not always prevent harm.

I don't recall having met anyone who was offended that I used the term Redskins. But I know there are people who consider the team name to be an offensive slur even if it's not intended that way. And since it has actually been used as an offensive slur, I don't think such people are crazy.

With the Somali pirate attacks and several recent plane crashes maybe time to refrain from using the nicknames Buccaneers and Jets? With so many real problems in our country it just seems the amount of attention focused on an NFL team's nickname is absurd.
Perhaps you are more sensitive than I am about these things, but I think the Buccaneers and Jets are fine.
You have said you were a big Weird Al fan in the other thread. A slight tangent but do you believe Weird Al could have released Fat in today's hyper-sensitive climate? What if people picketed his concerts to not to perform it anymore or not to put it on a greatest hits album? What if congress got involved and forced him to change the songs name (maybe "Phat" or "Rad")? There has to be people who hear this song and feel put down or offended.
Maurile is exuding great patience and respect with you.

Zow said:
Well if Obama managed to fit in making a statement about a teams' mascot between his Ellen and Oprah interviews, golf trips, vacations,

and giving his NCAA brackets, it must be

important. Congress? Just LOL.

In any event, thanks to FBG for giving a formal statement on a controversial issue. No outrage

here. It's good to know the political stances of potential suitors of your business, whether you agree with them or not.
:lmao: I couldn't care less about the political stances of any potential business I may give my money to if the service I'm looking to get has nothing to do with politics.For example, joe Bryant could be pol pot and if give him my 27/year if I thought his draft dominator kicked ###.
Understood. FBG simply has the best content and has no real competition that I know of, so it's easy to take virtually any stance they wish, and say 'take it or leave it.' as in your above circumstance.

Given two businesses pandering equal quality products, however, you may be more likely to give your business to the company whose political and social views are more like your own, would you not?
I would not. For example, I eat at Chick-Fil-A at the rate I eat at other places which serve chicken sandwiches.

Maurile Tremblay said:
MattFancy said:
Smack Tripper said:
If the American Indian movement is your cause, and not just you MT, and I do for the record respect you and your position, but for anyone concerned about Indians, there are dozens of reservations that need a lot of help. From poverty issues to basic social services, actual help will be more impactful than changing a name
This has been my thing all along. Not typing out the Redskins name on a Fantasy Football website, is not going to change the name of the team or help the Native Americans. If people really want to enact change, then do something about it. These Native Americans are suffering from a range of issues, probably the least of which is the name of a football team.
I don't think we're doing it for them. I think we're doing it for us. We're slightly uncomfortable using potentially derogatory words, so we prefer to avoid them when it's no major effort.
Are you one that will not use the word?
I won't use it because Joe asked us not to.

Aside from that, I probably wouldn't use it anyway in my prose. I'm more comfortable with "Washington's offensive line" than with "the Redskins' offensive line." It sounds better to me. The fact that "Redskins" can be thought of as a slur is a bit jarring to the ear, and is therefore a distraction. When my aim is not to distract, I'll find a synonym for the potentially distracting word. That's why I'll usually write "stingy" instead of "#####rdly," as well. I don't think the word "#####rdly" is offensive, but it's hard for many people to hear it without being distracted by it. I also don't think the word "Redskins" is typically used, at least in a football context, with any intent to offend; but I know that some do find it offensive, or at the very least distracting. It makes sense to me, therefore, to avoid it.

That's for prose. In other contexts, such as a bunch of team names in a list or in a table, it might be more distracting to omit a single team's nickname rather than to include them all. If there is some reason to identify teams by their nicknames rather than just by their cities (other than the Giants and Jets), I might use "Redskins" so as not to have the omission stand out. But in most cases, even in lists or tables, identifying teams by their cities should work fine, so that may be preferable.
I understand, but you just used it in this post and in one of your previous posts. If you thought the word was so offensive and a slur, why use it at all?

Maurile Tremblay said:
MattFancy said:
Smack Tripper said:
If the American Indian movement is your cause, and not just you MT, and I do for the record respect you and your position, but for anyone concerned about Indians, there are dozens of reservations that need a lot of help. From poverty issues to basic social services, actual help will be more impactful than changing a name
This has been my thing all along. Not typing out the Redskins name on a Fantasy Football website, is not going to change the name of the team or help the Native Americans. If people really want to enact change, then do something about it. These Native Americans are suffering from a range of issues, probably the least of which is the name of a football team.
I don't think we're doing it for them. I think we're doing it for us. We're slightly uncomfortable using potentially derogatory words, so we prefer to avoid them when it's no major effort.
Are you one that will not use the word?
I won't use it because Joe asked us not to.

Aside from that, I probably wouldn't use it anyway in my prose. I'm more comfortable with "Washington's offensive line" than with "the Redskins' offensive line." It sounds better to me. The fact that "Redskins" can be thought of as a slur is a bit jarring to the ear, and is therefore a distraction. When my aim is not to distract, I'll find a synonym for the potentially distracting word. That's why I'll usually write "stingy" instead of "#####rdly," as well. I don't think the word "#####rdly" is offensive, but it's hard for many people to hear it without being distracted by it. I also don't think the word "Redskins" is typically used, at least in a football context, with any intent to offend; but I know that some do find it offensive, or at the very least distracting. It makes sense to me, therefore, to avoid it.

That's for prose. In other contexts, such as a bunch of team names in a list or in a table, it might be more distracting to omit a single team's nickname rather than to include them all. If there is some reason to identify teams by their nicknames rather than just by their cities (other than the Giants and Jets), I might use "Redskins" so as not to have the omission stand out. But in most cases, even in lists or tables, identifying teams by their cities should work fine, so that may be preferable.
I think the end just do what the boss says. And FBG is a business, who can blame `em. I think the other thread shows just how insane the whole debate is, and I say that as someone who has been somewhat persuaded at least from an academic point of view (although I doubt anyone adopts my particular view anywhere). I honestly don't think we need another thread just exemplifying it again. The above just shows how subtle some of the syntactical gymnastics are and how powerful language is. The other thread is what 80+ pages and nobody has "won" the debate IMO. The OP here was meant to provoke and divide and here we are doing it to each other. Why? I don't know how someone rules on something like this internally without a conscious conclusion, but deciding it's offensive because some people are offended (right or wrong) is essentially what it comes down to. It raises a host of questions like the meaning of Truth and adherence to reason, but ruling on emotion and not reason is an age-old human problem.

Anybody thought about putting Tobias Funke and Bighttzzzzz in a steel cage to fight this out?
I'm in. For my entrance I'll need a leather jacket with SJW written on the front in diamonds and an airbrushed image of an Indian shedding a solitary tear on the back.

MattFancy said:
I understand, but you just used it in this post and in one of your previous posts. If you thought the word was so offensive and a slur, why use it at all?
IMO, there is no word so inherently offensive that it shall never be uttered.

There's nothing wrong, IMO, with referring to the word Redskins as "Redskins." (Even ChangeTheMascot.org does so in the first sentence of its homepage.)

What's wrong -- or at the very least indelicate -- is to refer to a group of Native American people as "Redskins." That's arguably the effect of naming a team "Redskins" when the logo is a Native American person -- the team name seems to refer to Native American people. (If the logo were a potato, it'd be a different story.)

I think i'm going to start referring to sunburns or sun-burnt people as "redskins"...as in, "must be a shortage of sunscreen, 'cause look at all of these Redskins out here", or, "I fell asleep by the pool and am now a redskin" or "is it possible for African Americans to become Redskins?"

MattFancy said:

There's nothing wrong, IMO, with referring to the word Redskins as "Redskins." (Even ChangeTheMascot.org does so in the first sentence of its homepage.)

What's wrong -- or at the very least indelicate -- is to refer to a group of Native American people as "Redskins." That's arguably the effect of naming a team "Redskins" when the logo is a Native American person -- the team name seems to refer to Native American people. (If the logo were a potato, it'd be a different story.)
you forgot to censor the word r**skins, don't drop the R bomb so freely please, thanks.

Zow said:
I also don't think the word "Redskins" is typically used, at least in a football context, with any intent to offend; but I know that some do find it offensive, or at the very least distracting.
In the football context has the word Redskins ever been used with intent to offend? Ever? Have you personally ever met anyone who was offended when you referred to the NFL team in Washington as the Redskins? Ever?
"Ever" is a long time, so I'm not sure whether anyone has ever used the word Redskins in a football context with an intent to offend. If it's ever happened, I suspect that it's exceedingly rare. Of course, harmless intentions do not always prevent harm.

I don't recall having met anyone who was offended that I used the term Redskins. But I know there are people who consider the team name to be an offensive slur even if it's not intended that way. And since it has actually been used as an offensive slur, I don't think such people are crazy.

With the Somali pirate attacks and several recent plane crashes maybe time to refrain from using the nicknames Buccaneers and Jets? With so many real problems in our country it just seems the amount of attention focused on an NFL team's nickname is absurd.
Perhaps you are more sensitive than I am about these things, but I think the Buccaneers and Jets are fine.
You have said you were a big Weird Al fan in the other thread. A slight tangent but do you believe Weird Al could have released Fat in today's hyper-sensitive climate? What if people picketed his concerts to not to perform it anymore or not to put it on a greatest hits album? What if congress got involved and forced him to change the songs name (maybe "Phat" or "Rad")? There has to be people who hear this song and feel put down or offended.
Maurile is exuding great patience and respect with you.
I think it is a fair question. And I completely disagree with him. There would be an uproar if he released that song today. Weird Al would be vilified on the internet and he'd be forced to publicly apologize to anyone he offended. That would only be the beginning.

I think i'm going to start referring to sunburns or sun-burnt people as "redskins"...as in, "must be a shortage of sunscreen, 'cause look at all of these Redskins out here", or, "I fell asleep by the pool and am now a redskin" or "is it possible for African Americans to become Redskins?"
Yes. I think one way out of this is if Redskin became a substitute for redneck.

MattFancy said:

But I think for most, espeically football fans, when you hear the word Redskins, you think of the football team. I don't think I've ever heard Redskins refer to Native Americans.

The Redskins logo was also created by a group of Native Americans.

Sure, let's work to introduce a completely new meaning for a word. It will be difficult work, but I don't see any other option here. If only there were some simple relatively consequence-free solution to the problem of having a NFL team name that many people, specifically many Native Americans, find offensive. Maybe something that lots of other professional sports teams have done with relative ease, including two teams within the last 18 months. Can't think of anything, though :kicksrock:

Sure, let's work to introduce a completely new meaning for a word. It will be difficult work, but I don't see any other option here. If only there were some simple relatively consequence-free solution to the problem of having a NFL team name that many people, specifically many Native Americans, find offensive. Maybe something that lots of other professional sports teams have done with relative ease, including two teams within the last 18 months. Can't think of anything, though :kicksrock:
I am pretty sure it would have to start with getting a Kardashian or Paris Hilton to start using it with some cache. One mention on Fallon and it's off and running. I understand their services can be bought. Easy out.

I am pretty sure it would have to start with getting a Kardashian or Paris Hilton to start using it with some cache. One mention on Fallon and it's off and running. I understand their services can be bought. Easy out.
The fact that you think Paris Hilton still has influence and relevance says something about the rest of your plan.

TobiasFunke said:
Anybody thought about putting Tobias Funke and Bighttzzzzz in a steel cage to fight this out?
I'm in. For my entrance I'll need a leather jacket with SJW written on the front in diamonds and an airbrushed image of an Indian shedding a solitary tear on the back.
You willing to make it a handicapped match?

But I think for most, espeically football fans, when you hear the word Redskins, you think of the football team.
Yes, I agree.

I don't think I've ever heard Redskins refer to Native Americans.
It's probably very rare these days. But it has at least a bit of a history of being used that way as a slur.

It's a good logo.

TobiasFunke said:
are you making fun of the handicapped differently abled? just checking, I don't want to have to get all CJW up in here.

I'm assuming you're referring to the New Orleans Pelicans (former Hornets) and the Charlotte Hornets (former Bobcats). Going back through the last 50 years or so, can you find any other pro franchises that changed their name without moving to a new city? And I don't really count the Bobcats going to Hornets because that was their original name.

The fact that you think Paris Hilton still has influence and relevance says something about the rest of your plan.
True, my references are dated. I asked Gabby Hayes about this whole Redskins thing one time and frankly he wasn't impressed.

I'm assuming you're referring to the New Orleans Pelicans (former Hornets) and the Charlotte Hornets (former Bobcats). Going back through the last 50 years or so, can you find any other franchises that changed their name without moving to a new city? And I don't really count the Bobcats going to Hornets because that was their original name.
You don't even have to leave DC to find an answer to that one.

I'm assuming you're referring to the New Orleans Pelicans (former Hornets) and the Charlotte Hornets (former Bobcats). Going back through the last 50 years or so, can you find any other franchises that changed their name without moving to a new city? And I don't really count the Bobcats going to Hornets because that was their original name.
You don't even have to leave DC to find an answer to that one.
Okay so that's 1 so far. My point I'm trying to make is that, it's VERY rare for pro teams to just change their name.

I'm assuming you're referring to the New Orleans Pelicans (former Hornets) and the Charlotte Hornets (former Bobcats). Going back through the last 50 years or so, can you find any other pro franchises that changed their name without moving to a new city? And I don't really count the Bobcats going to Hornets because that was their original name.
By the way - and this is an important clincher - Pierre D. Pelican has a mohawk.

Now that is a mohawk as in the Mohawk tribe. Frankly I find this haircut name insultingly offensive to the Mohawk, Indians, haircuts and in this specific instance all of basketball.

http://bourbonstreetshots.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/monet-600x400.jpg

TobiasFunke said:
are you making fun of the handicapped differently abled? just checking, I don't want to have to get all CJW up in here.
Tobias Funke vs. Willie Neslon and Bighitzzzzz might very well be a differently abled match. I hear TF is very good at Greco-Roman wrestling.

Bullets to Wizards?

Oilers to Titans?

Devil Rays to Rays too.

The Ducks used to be the Mighty Ducks after the movie.

Other changes of "location" without actual changes of location, like the Florida/Miami Marlins, the Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, the mess with Anaheim's baseball team, etc.

The point is that it's a simple thing to do if there's any reason at all to do it. Usually there isn't. Here there is IMO- there's a separate thread for that debate so I don't want to get into it here. I'd rather we focus on handicapping my forthcoming steel cage match and choreographing my introduction.

But I think for most, espeically football fans, when you hear the word Redskins, you think of the football team.
Yes, I agree.

It's probably very rare these days. But it has at least a bit of a history of being used that way as a slur.

It's a good logo.
New logo

Bullets to Wizards?

Oilers to Titans?

Devil Rays to Rays too.

Other changes of "location" without actual changes of location, like the Florida/Miami Marlins, the Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, the mess with Anaheim's baseball team, etc.

The point is that it's a simple thing to do if there's any reason at all to do it. Usually there isn't. Here there is IMO- there's a separate thread for that debate so I don't want to get into it here. I'd rather we focus on handicapping my forthcoming steel cage match and choreographing my introduction.
How many of those name changes happened against the owner's will?

Bullets to Wizards?

Oilers to Titans?

Devil Rays to Rays too.

The Oilers to Titans came as a city change. Yes they were the Oilers for a couple year once they moved to Tennessee, but that was ultimately due to changing cities.

Devil Rays to Rays works as well. Forgot about that one.

I dunno about Mighty Ducks to Ducks.

Is this cage match on PPV?

Yes, I agree.

It's a good logo.
New logo
Without clicking on it, is it a potato?

Bullets to Wizards?

Oilers to Titans?

Devil Rays to Rays too.

None, and this wouldn't either. He shouldn't be forced to change it. He should change it because it's the right thing to do (although most likely he'll choose to change it because of a combo of bad PR and because he anticipates not being entitled to profit off trademark protection for a disparaging name, which is fine too).

they should change their name to the turtles. they could have helmets that look like turtle shells. that would be cool.

Bullets to Wizards?

Oilers to Titans?

Devil Rays to Rays too.

None, and this wouldn't either. He shouldn't be forced to change it. He should change it because it's the right thing to do (although most likely he'll choose to change it because of a combo of bad PR and because he anticipates not being entitled to profit off trademark protection for a disparaging name, which is fine too).
So in other words he'll be forced to. And I'm not holding my breath.

Wait, this issue with the Devil Rays to just Rays has lost me. WTF is the problem?
None, it was a horrible example, that's all.
He was asked for examples of teams changing their names.

Sounds like a pretty good example to me.
Let's forget the main difference of the owner actually wanting to change the name: Devil Rays to Rays with same logo with just a little yellow sunshine on it's fin. That's an extremely poor example, basically Richard changing his name to Rich.

Wait, this issue with the Devil Rays to just Rays has lost me. WTF is the problem?
He was asked for examples of teams changing their names.Sounds like a pretty good example to me.
Let's forget the main difference of the owner actually wanting to change the name: Devil Rays to Rays with same logo with just a little yellow sunshine on it's fin. That's an extremely poor example, basically Richard changing his name to Rich.
Is it the same name or a different name? And the examples asked for had nothing to do with why the name was changed.

He was asked for examples of teams changing their names.

Sounds like a pretty good example to me.
Take it easy. Someone asked about other name changes for US pro sports teams. I listed it as an example of a name change by a US pro sports team, because it was an instance of a US pro sports team changing its name. That's it, nothing more. It wasn't meant to be an example of anything or analogous to the Redskins.

You seem needlessly angry about this. You might want to sit out the next few plays? Maybe visit the "smoking pot" thread for a while?

Users who are viewing this thread