What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has FBG gone the SJW way of Florio/Berry with the Redskins name? (1 Viewer)

Everyone knows the only people getting upset are white people, and the MAJORITY of native americans don't care. Sure, you have a few that care but theres always going to be a few offended by everything, so you need the majority. Plenty of Indians take pride in the name RedSkin

I think these white rich people like a Joe Bryant (no offense) are feeling guilty about how easy their life is that they need to fight for problems that don't really exist just so they can sleep better at night.

Once again, this is what I believe, and it would be happening at an unconscious level, so Joe you wouldn't agree with me even if I was right.

oh and of course you got the people wanting to cause a distraction that pretend to care while our country goes to crap

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if Obama managed to fit in making a statement about a teams' mascot between his Ellen and Oprah interviews, golf trips, vacations, and giving his NCAA brackets, it must be important. Congress? Just LOL.

In any event, thanks to FBG for giving a formal statement on a controversial issue. No outrage here. It's good to know the political stances of potential suitors of your business, whether you agree with them or not.

Everyone knows the only people getting upset are white people, and the MAJORITY of native americans don't care. Sure, you have a few that care but theres always going to be a few offended by everything, so you need the majority. Plenty of Indians take pride in the name RedSkin

I think these white rich people like a Joe Bryant (no offense) are feeling guilty about how easy their life is that they need to fight for problems that don't really exist just so they can sleep better at night.

Once again, this is what I believe, and it would be happening at an unconscious level, so Joe you wouldn't agree with me even if I was right.
:lmao:

Well if Obama managed to fit in making a statement about a teams' mascot between his Ellen and Oprah interviews, golf trips, vacations, and giving his NCAA brackets, it must be important. Congress? Just LOL.

In any event, thanks to FBG for giving a formal statement on a controversial issue. No outrage here. It's good to know the political stances of potential suitors of your business, whether you agree with them or not.
Exactly. Before I purchase anything from a store, I always ask the owner if they've ever been involved in an abortion.

Footballguys.com has been using the name for over a decade without giving it a second thought. People like Peter King and Bob costas have been covering the NFL for over a half century combined and never had a problem with the name redskins. Now, suddenly, it's a huge issue and they can't bring themselves to print or speak the name. What changed?
Increased awareness? Moral progress?
Is this what you believe?
Sure. I do something that I don't mean in an offensive way. But someone says they are offended. I think about it. Do I change? Not necessarily. It may just be someone who's very sensitive. But if 5 people tell me the same thing I consider not doing it any more. If it keeps coming up I stop doing it. Did I ever intend to offend anyone? No. But if enough people take offense I don't do it any more. It's called personal growth.
:golfclap:

Well if Obama managed to fit in making a statement about a teams' mascot between his Ellen and Oprah interviews, golf trips, vacations,

and giving his NCAA brackets, it must be

important. Congress? Just LOL.

In any event, thanks to FBG for giving a formal statement on a controversial issue. No outrage

here. It's good to know the political stances of potential suitors of your business, whether you agree with them or not.
:lmao: I couldn't care less about the political stances of any potential business I may give my money to if the service I'm looking to get has nothing to do with politics. For example, joe Bryant could be pol pot and if give him my 27/year if I thought his draft dominator kicked ###.

Well if Obama managed to fit in making a statement about a teams' mascot between his Ellen and Oprah interviews, golf trips, vacations,

In any event, thanks to FBG for giving a formal statement on a controversial issue. No outrage

here. It's good to know the political stances of potential suitors of your business, whether you agree with them or not.
:lmao: I couldn't care less about the political stances of any potential business I may give my money to if the service I'm looking to get has nothing to do with politics. For example, joe Bryant could be pol pot and if give him my 27/year if I thought his draft dominator kicked ###.
Understood. FBG simply has the best content and has no real competition that I know of, so it's easy to take virtually any stance they wish, and say 'take it or leave it.' as in your above circumstance.

Given two businesses pandering equal quality products, however, you may be more likely to give your business to the company whose political and social views are more like your own, would you not?

:lmao: I couldn't care less about the political stances of any potential business I may give my money to if the service I'm looking to get has nothing to do with politics.For example, joe Bryant could be pol pot and if give him my 27/year if I thought his draft dominator kicked ###.
Understood. FBG simply has the best content and has no real competition that I know of, so it's easy to take virtually any stance they wish, and say 'take it or leave it.' as in your above circumstance.

Given two businesses pandering equal quality products, however, you may be more likely to give your business to the company whose political and social views are more like your own, would you not?
If the issue is use Redskins or not? No. It doesn't enter into my thought process. WTF would it? If you're thinking that much about such an inconsequential issue you need a hobby.

:lmao: I couldn't care less about the political stances of any potential business I may give my money to if the service I'm looking to get has nothing to do with politics.For example, joe Bryant could be pol pot and if give him my 27/year if I thought his draft dominator kicked ###.
Understood. FBG simply has the best content and has no real competition that I know of, so it's easy to take virtually any stance they wish, and say 'take it or leave it.' as in your above circumstance.Given two businesses pandering equal quality products, however, you may be more likely to give your business to the company whose political and social views are more like your own, would you not?
If the issue is use Redskins or not? No. It doesn't enter into my thought process. WTF would it? If you're thinking that much about such an inconsequential issue you need a hobby.
Well than good for you!?!? You don't know me. You are protected by your computer monitor so you can afford to be disrespectful. Bravo.

It gives insight into a lot more than just the Redskin name issue. If you don't realize that, then I suggest you go have a tofu burger and an Evian water, then go back to your world of puppy dogs and rainbows.

Understood. FBG simply has the best content and has no real competition that I know of, so it's easy to take virtually any stance they wish, and say 'take it or leave it.' as in your above circumstance.Given two businesses pandering equal quality products, however, you may be more likely to give your business to the company whose political and social views are more like your own, would you not?
Well than good for you!?!? You don't know me. You are protected by your computer monitor so you can afford to be disrespectful. Bravo.

It gives insight into a lot more than just the Redskin name issue. If you don't realize that, then I suggest you go have a tofu burger and an Evian water, then go back to your world of puppy dogs and rainbows.
:lmao:

Why are you upset that FBGs has decided not to be disrespectful any longer? Sure is telling.

Thanks Obama :hot:

Footballguys.com has been using the name for over a decade without giving it a second thought. People like Peter King and Bob costas have been covering the NFL for over a half century combined and never had a problem with the name redskins. Now, suddenly, it's a huge issue and they can't bring themselves to print or speak the name. What changed?
Yes. I don't know why it takes time for people to become more considerate of others in certain ways instead of everybody just getting everything right from the outset, but that's the way the world seems to work. There are countless examples of it throughout human history.
The inevitable question then is, where do you draw that line. I'm sure there are some whom would consider fantasy football wagering and further some to whom wagering is abhorrent. Would you acquiese to their sensibilities and needs and give up the hobby or participation in the site?

I'm not married to the name but what I am concerned with is the slippery slope notion of this. As whatever inch you give in life is not enough to, yes, sjw's.

I also deeply reject this concept and attitude that we are achieving progress, helping, or changing anything from our keyboards as opposed to tangible action that might help anyone who is aggrieved.

If the American Indian movement is your cause, and not just you MT, and I do for the record respect you and your position, but for anyone concerned about Indians, there are dozens of reservations that need a lot of help. From poverty issues to basic social services, actual help will be more impactful than changing a name

Yes. I don't know why it takes time for people to become more considerate of others in certain ways instead of everybody just getting everything right from the outset, but that's the way the world seems to work. There are countless examples of it throughout human history.
If the American Indian movement is your cause, and not just you MT, and I do for the record respect you and your position, but for anyone concerned about Indians, there are dozens of reservations that need a lot of help. From poverty issues to basic social services, actual help will be more impactful than changing a name
This has been my thing all along. Not typing out the Redskins name on a Fantasy Football website, is not going to change the name of the team or help the Native Americans. If people really want to enact change, then do something about it. These Native Americans are suffering from a range of issues, probably the least of which is the name of a football team.

I'm sure there are some whom would consider fantasy football wagering and further some to whom wagering is abhorrent. Would you acquiese to their sensibilities and needs and give up the hobby or participation in the site?
If I found fantasy football abhorrent, I'd probably give up participating in the site. I don't, so I won't. If Joe found PPR leagues abhorrent, he may remove PPR rankings from the site. He doesn't, so he won't. I don't see much of a slippery slope here.

I know that some people dislike fantasy football because they think it's gambling, and they feel it should be banned. If we could put them at ease by, for example, typing "stakes leagues" instead of "money leagues," maybe we'd do so. But in reality, the solution in their case is not so easy.

We would not shut down FBG to avoid offending Native Americans (or others) regarding the Redskins name; but simply typing a different word seems easy enough, so why not?

I'm not married to the name but what I am concerned with is the slippery slope notion of this. As whatever inch you give in life is not enough to, yes, sjw's.
We're not giving inches to anybody. We're just doing what we want. We want to avoid potentially derogatory terms if it's easy enough.

I also deeply reject this concept and attitude that we are achieving progress, helping, or changing anything from our keyboards as opposed to tangible action that might help anyone who is aggrieved.

You're certainly right that simply refraining from using potentially derogatory terms isn't much in the grand scheme of things. We could certainly do more if we were so moved. But the fact that refraining from using potentially derogatory terms is small potatoes is not really an argument in favor of using them.

This has been my thing all along. Not typing out the Redskins name on a Fantasy Football website, is not going to change the name of the team or help the Native Americans. If people really want to enact change, then do something about it. These Native Americans are suffering from a range of issues, probably the least of which is the name of a football team.
I don't think we're doing it for them. I think we're doing it for us. We're slightly uncomfortable using potentially derogatory words, so we prefer to avoid them when it's no major effort.

I know what you are saying, and in one sense you are correct. There needs to be a concerted effort to address problems like literacy, poverty, etc. that really affect their community. Some want to contribute as long as it costs them little; as such, not saying a word they believe is offensive is their contribution to that cause of betterment. Not passing judgment, but I can see why people take this tack. :shrug:

Maurile Tremblay said:
MattFancy said:
Smack Tripper said:
I don't think we're doing it for them. I think we're doing it for us. We're slightly uncomfortable using potentially derogatory words, so we prefer to avoid them when it's no major effort.
Are you one that will not use the word?

Tom Servo said:
MattFancy said:
Smack Tripper said:
I know what you are saying, and in one sense you are correct. There needs to be a concerted effort to address problems like literacy, poverty, etc. that really affect their community. Some want to contribute as long as it costs them little; as such, not saying a word they believe is offensive is their contribution to that cause of betterment. Not passing judgment, but I can see why people take this tack. :shrug:
I see your point, but for those that think they're doing a service to Native Americans, there are a ton of thoer ways they can show support.

Tom Servo said:
MattFancy said:
Smack Tripper said:
I see your point, but for those that think they're doing a service to Native Americans, there are a ton of thoer ways they can show support.
And I would agree. Support aid efforts to the indigenous communities. Donate to them like the Red Cross, American Cancer Society, etc.

Zow said:

Not to mention, this is hardly a "political stance".

if you are all for the name Redskins staying does it really matter if FBGs calls the Washington?

Seems like a silly thing to be all upset at

if you are all for the name Redskins staying does it really matter if FBGs calls the Washington?

Seems like a silly thing to be all upset at
There are some who might consider your screenname to be profane. Would you be ok changing it if asked by someone taking umbrage?

What's in a name?

Maurile Tremblay said:
MattFancy said:
Smack Tripper said:
Are you one that will not use the word?
I won't use it because Joe asked us not to.

Aside from that, I probably wouldn't use it anyway in my prose. I'm more comfortable with "Washington's offensive line" than with "the Redskins' offensive line." It sounds better to me. The fact that "Redskins" can be thought of as a slur is a bit jarring to the ear, and is therefore a distraction. When my aim is not to distract, I'll find a synonym for the potentially distracting word. That's why I'll usually write "stingy" instead of "niggardly," as well. I don't think the word "niggardly" is offensive, but it's hard for many people to hear it without being distracted by it. I also don't think the word "Redskins" is typically used, at least in a football context, with any intent to offend; but I know that some do find it offensive, or at the very least distracting. It makes sense to me, therefore, to avoid it.

That's for prose. In other contexts, such as a bunch of team names in a list or in a table, it might be more distracting to omit a single team's nickname rather than to include them all. If there is some reason to identify teams by their nicknames rather than just by their cities (other than the Giants and Jets), I might use "Redskins" so as not to have the omission stand out. But in most cases, even in lists or tables, identifying teams by their cities should work fine, so that may be preferable.

I also don't think the word "Redskins" is typically used, at least in a football context, with any intent to offend; but I know that some do find it offensive, or at the very least distracting.
In the football context has the word Redskins ever been used with intent to offend? Ever? Have you personally ever met anyone who was offended when you referred to the NFL team in Washington as the Redskins? Ever?

With the Somali pirate attacks and several recent plane crashes maybe time to refrain from using the nicknames Buccaneers and Jets? With so many real problems in our country it just seems the amount of attention focused on an NFL team's nickname is absurd.

I also don't think the word "Redskins" is typically used, at least in a football context, with any intent to offend; but I know that some do find it offensive, or at the very least distracting.
In the football context has the word Redskins ever been used with intent to offend? Ever? Have you personally ever met anyone who was offended when you referred to the NFL team in Washington as the Redskins? Ever?
"Ever" is a long time, so I'm not sure whether anyone has ever used the word Redskins in a football context with an intent to offend. If it's ever happened, I suspect that it's exceedingly rare. Of course, harmless intentions do not have harmless effects.

I don't recall having met anyone who was offended that I used the term Redskins. But I know there are people who consider the team name to be an offensive slur even if it's not intended that way. And since it has actually been used as an offensive slur, I don't think such people are crazy.

With the Somali pirate attacks and several recent plane crashes maybe time to refrain from using the nicknames Buccaneers and Jets? With so many real problems in our country it just seems the amount of attention focused on an NFL team's nickname is absurd.
Perhaps you are more sensitive than I am about these things, but I think the Buccaneers and Jets are fine.

Numb nuts, the word is a slur.

So is Packer.

Niggardly is actually a pretty good example of the slippery slope argument people have mentioned. MT's argument is valid for the conducting of business purposes, but, so should the Redskins' argument should they want to keep the name. How many words do we have to avoid because of misperceived racism?

So is Packer.
If you add fudge or meat. Plus, that's a recent thing. It was not originally a slur. Redskin originated as a slur.

So is Packer.
If you add fudge or meat. Plus, that's a recent thing. It was not originally a slur. Redskin originated as a slur.
Don't forget Yankee.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Smack Tripper said:
I'm sure there are some whom would consider fantasy football wagering and further some to whom wagering is abhorrent. Would you acquiese to their sensibilities and needs and give up the hobby or participation in the site?
If I found fantasy football abhorrent, I'd probably give up participating in the site. I don't, so I won't. If Joe found PPR leagues abhorrent, he may remove PPR rankings from the site. He doesn't, so he won't. I don't see much of a slippery slope here.

I know that some people dislike fantasy football because they think it's gambling, and they feel it should be banned. If we could put them at ease by, for example, typing "stakes leagues" instead of "money leagues," maybe we'd do so. But in reality, the solution in their case is not so easy.

We would not shut down FBG to avoid offending Native Americans (or others) regarding the Redskins name; but simply typing a different word seems easy enough, so why not?

We're not giving inches to anybody. We're just doing what we want. We want to avoid potentially derogatory terms if it's easy enough.

You're certainly right that simply refraining from using potentially derogatory terms isn't much in the grand scheme of things. We could certainly do more if we were so moved. But the fact that refraining from using potentially derogatory terms is small potatoes is not really an argument in favor of using them.
But what kind of potatoes?

"Ever" is a long time, so I'm not sure whether anyone has ever used the word Redskins in a football context with an intent to offend. If it's ever happened, I suspect that it's exceedingly rare. Of course, harmless intentions do not always prevent harm.

I don't recall having met anyone who was offended that I used the term Redskins. But I know there are people who consider the team name to be an offensive slur even if it's not intended that way. And since it has actually been used as an offensive slur, I don't think such people are crazy.

Perhaps you are more sensitive than I am about these things, but I think the Buccaneers and Jets are fine.
You have said you were a big Weird Al fan in the other thread. A slight tangent but do you believe Weird Al could have released Fat in today's hyper-sensitive climate? What if people picketed his concerts to not to perform it anymore or not to put it on a greatest hits album? What if congress got involved and forced him to change the songs name (maybe "Phat" or "Rad")? There has to be people who hear this song and feel put down or offended.

Maurile Tremblay said:
But what kind of potatoes?
Red-skinned potatoes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread