What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever skipped watching a Super Bowl? (1 Viewer)

azgroover

Footballguy
I've never skipped, but I've come pretty close. The year that the Ravens beat the Giants was probably the one big game that I was least interested in and only found myself checking in on it periodically while I did other stuff. I also quit watching the 49ers/Chargers game at around halftime. Those two games just weren't good matchups and it was apparent who was going to win well before the kickoff even happened.

A couple. Some I avoid because of all the hype and Hollywood antics during halftime. The window where you can actually see the game keeps getting smaller.

I did once, to make the GF at the time happy, she wanted to go to the movies that day and I figured the Rams would blowout the Patriots.

The only Super Bowl's I've missed are SB I (too young), and SB VI (at the movies on first date).
First date as a 7-10 year old...nice! I missed a few over the years, but the one that really sticks out is 1994. Transferred to a new college and was going out for the first time after a hockey game. I got pretty lit but also ended up having a stomach virus. It did not end well and I was so sick (both from alcohol and the virus) that I slept all day and actually slept through the SuperBowl...I am on the East Coast too...lol.

I missed Superbowl XL due to a death in the family. I wasn't that excited to see it anyway but I would have tuned in. I will never voluntarily skip a Super Bowl.

Missing this year's as I am in London and do not care nearly enough about either Arizona or Pittsburgh to stay up until 4 am watching them play.

Well played, gianmarco.

Can't see voluntarily missing a Super Bowl. It's the Super Bowl, for cryin' out loud, I'd watch the Bengals/Lions. I'd drink more, but I'd watch it.

After the Buccaneers lost to the Rams 11-6 in the NFC championship I just didn't want to see the SB. In the second half I relented and watched the Rams edge the Titans. From what I heard I saw the best part anyway.

I tell myself I'm going to skip it every year the Eagles lose the NFCCG, but somehow I can't pass it up once the day approaches.

Same rules apply in the '09.

I haven't missed any since I started watching football, but I've arrived late to Super Bowl parties (e.g. early 2nd quarter) or barely paid attention while chatting up with friends.

I missed Raiders-Bucs a few years ago because one of my best friends attempted suicide just before the start of the game. We're cool now, but I will always secretly harbor a grudge.

I might miss this one. I'll be in St Martin and not sure if it wil be worth the trouble and the crowd.

Matchups don't excite me, I pull for the underdog - No need for the Steelers to win again.

1982, I think it was, when Washington beat Miami. I went to Montreal to visit a girl for the weekend. That's the only SB I didn't watch a second of. :thumbdown:

I don't think I've ever missed the entire game, but there have definitely been a few that I haven't paid much attention to.

The only one I missed since I've been old enough to know about was the Giants - Broncos in 1987. Had to work, but I did win $20 on it.

The first one I remember watching was the Dolphins - Redskins in 1973

Last edited by a moderator:
There are very few things that would result in me missing a Super Bowl.

1) Bar Rafaeli

2) Doutzen Kroes

...um...

3) Death?

I was painting our home office one year, listening to the game on the TV in the other room. Heard the music of the halftime show, never thought anything of it. During the second half, got online and found out that Janet had flashed the whole world - except me.

Ha ha. Janet Jackson. I watched the first half with friends, left at halftime and drove home. Watched the second half, then went to bed. Got up the next day knowing nothing about the "malfunction", got to work, and had about 50 e-mails with pictures of Janet's ### waiting for me.

The only Super Bowl's I've missed are SB I (too young), and SB VI (at the movies on first date).
First date as a 7-10 year old...nice! I missed a few over the years, but the one that really sticks out is 1994. Transferred to a new college and was going out for the first time after a hockey game. I got pretty lit but also ended up having a stomach virus. It did not end well and I was so sick (both from alcohol and the virus) that I slept all day and actually slept through the SuperBowl...I am on the East Coast too...lol.
Actually I was almost 13 (born in June 1959). I'm currently 49.

CrossEyed said:
BuddyKnuckles said:
Yes, this one. Will be playing golf, then poker as i have no interest in watching two teams i hate
Hate?
Oddly enough, it is stuff like this article that makes me dislike a team even more...go figure.It seems to me that the Cardinals (who I have no affiliation with whatsoever) are a hard team to hate. Why hate a team that is traditionally horrible, where is the fun in that?

I skipped the second Dallas - Buffalo game. There were good waves, I couldn't stand that Cowboys team and was sick of seeing the Bills lose in the Super Bowl.

Ever since I had kids, it's been tough to watch any Super Bowl (basically, for the past six years). My girls get BORED with it after about 5-10 minutes, and my wife isn't too keen on refereeing the kids' latest argument about who did/said what...just so I can watch a little football. :thumbup:

Missed Pats/Giants last year. Had a brain fart, and accidentally scheduled a flight right smack in that time slot. The worst part was that my layover was in Phoenix, shortly after the game ended, so the airport was packed with people who were at the game, and talked about how great it was. :goodposting:

I've never skipped, but I've come pretty close. The year that the Ravens beat the Giants was probably the one big game that I was least interested in and only found myself checking in on it periodically while I did other stuff. I also quit watching the 49ers/Chargers game at around halftime. Those two games just weren't good matchups and it was apparent who was going to win well before the kickoff even happened.
I wish I could get back the 3 hours of my life I wasted on the SF/Denver blowout, the Bears 1985 SB and that stupid *@#$% SB shuffle and 'punky QB known as McMahon' and the *@#%$ Fridge :thumbup: , the 3 Buffalo losses to Washington and Dallas ( 2x) - all of those games sucked-, the Niners/Chargers SB, Steelers/Seahawks most boring 'who cares' SB game I've ever seen. Even as a Giants I must say the Ravens/Giants SB was one of the most pathetic venues ever.. I wished I'd skipped it.what a lousy, horrible game that was..watching Dan Reeves get smoked in every SB in which he coached, was pretty cool :unsure:

the guy was the worst-ever coach in SB history.. :lmao:

Just once:

Go into work the saturday before the super bowl(waiter(I was 22 going through college)) for the 4-11 shift. 10:30 rolls around and the manager asks me to work the next shift as there were a few people that called out. I said sure and got home super bowl sunday morning around 8 a.m. Walk into the house and the party is just being set up. I thought to myself "I just pulled a double shift, so I'll have a beer or two and get some sleep before things really start". Well, sleep didn't happen. By kick-off, I wasn't 'drunk' by I was a zombie. I suppose you could say I "watched" the super bowl, but the next day I couldn't tell you what happened or what the score was.

Ever since I had kids, it's been tough to watch any Super Bowl (basically, for the past six years). My girls get BORED with it after about 5-10 minutes, and my wife isn't too keen on refereeing the kids' latest argument about who did/said what...just so I can watch a little football. :pickle:
:thumbup: to your wife.

Ever since I had kids, it's been tough to watch any Super Bowl (basically, for the past six years). My girls get BORED with it after about 5-10 minutes, and my wife isn't too keen on refereeing the kids' latest argument about who did/said what...just so I can watch a little football. :pics:
:rolleyes: to your wife.
Seriously. It doesn't matter what the activity is that you enjoy. She should respect that and make sure to keep the kids occupied while you do it. Same goes for the husband. If the wife likes to scrapbook/watch the soaps/paint/rebuild engines, a time should be set aside that you take care of the kids while she can enjoy it.

Ever since I had kids, it's been tough to watch any Super Bowl (basically, for the past six years). My girls get BORED with it after about 5-10 minutes, and my wife isn't too keen on refereeing the kids' latest argument about who did/said what...just so I can watch a little football. :sadbanana:
:kicksrock: to your wife.
Seriously. It doesn't matter what the activity is that you enjoy. She should respect that and make sure to keep the kids occupied while you do it. Same goes for the husband. If the wife likes to scrapbook/watch the soaps/paint/rebuild engines, a time should be set aside that you take care of the kids while she can enjoy it.
....on a different subject, my wife asked me for a new watch. I told her she didn't need a damn new watch, because there's a clock on the stove :bag:

Ever since I had kids, it's been tough to watch any Super Bowl (basically, for the past six years). My girls get BORED with it after about 5-10 minutes, and my wife isn't too keen on refereeing the kids' latest argument about who did/said what...just so I can watch a little football. :sadbanana:
:kicksrock: to your wife.
....on a different subject, my wife asked me for a new watch. I told her she didn't need a damn new watch, because there's a clock on the stove :bag:
:bag:

Missed the Bucs/Raiders game. Just didn't really have any interest in watching it. Wife and I just hung out that evening. I really didn't miss much considering it was such a blowout.

Users who are viewing this thread