What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Heap (1 Viewer)

on permabench in my dynasty league. Avoided him like the plague in redrafts. Flacco just doesn't seem to look to him. Heap must be doing more blocking as well. Maybe he will do better later in the year when Flacco gets more comfortable and looks for him??

I dont remember a single play where Heap was the target except for the one throwaway which was no where near him. He wasnt even on the field down by the endzone.

Last night was the first time I have seen the Ravens play but Todd Heap seemed to be left in to block a lot. It seemed that numberous times he was lined up as a split back in the backfield to try to pick up someone blitzing. If nobody came on his side in a blitz he just floated out into the flat. He was not getting any looks. I don't know how much was due to the Steelers pressure or if that is what they intend to do with him but he was not being targeted at all last night. If things don't change he is looking virtually worthless.

Flacco seems locked on Mason and I don't see things changing until late season.
i saw heap involved in pass blocking moreso than in other games. rookie qb against the steelers defense? makes total sense to me. i'm disappointed with heap thusfar but i'm willing to give him another game or two. i have him in a dynasty league and may drop him if he doesn't start to produce.

ugh, thanks for this thread. i'd originally signed him last week to be my bye-week filler for kellen winslow, but i'm going to try to dump him and sign bo scaife instead now.

He almost fell to me real late in my draft, but someone took him as a TE2 right before me. I was cursing at the time, but now it's a blessing in disguise.

Heap reminds me of the analysis someone here did about Joey Harrington being the worst QB of all-time. The main problem is he did just enough to make you keep playing him, but couldn't help you win.

That is Heap. He is too big of a name to cut and could produce, so you just end up burning a roster spot for him.

Better off without him and trying to find better WW TEs which is what I've been doing.

On a side note that no one will really care about, the guy who played me this week is the one who drafted him, so he thought it would be funny to play Heap in his flex this week ... except he benched Coles for him. Would have tied the game had he started Coles. Oops.

saintfool said:
Frank Black said:
Flacco seems locked on Mason and I don't see things changing until late season.
i saw heap involved in pass blocking moreso than in other games. rookie qb against the steelers defense? makes total sense to me. i'm disappointed with heap thusfar but i'm willing to give him another game or two. i have him in a dynasty league and may drop him if he doesn't start to produce.
same here I really want to dump him but then I keep thinking about the other good seasons he had, is it over for good?

On a side note that no one will really care about, the guy who played me this week is the one who drafted him, so he thought it would be funny to play Heap in his flex this week ... except he benched Coles for him. Would have tied the game had he started Coles. Oops.
so then the guy helped you TWICE! one for preventing you from drafting heap and then another for benching coles!?!?!? yikes.

At this point in my dynasty league, I'd probably trade both Vernon Davis AND Todd Heap for a third round draft pick, but I doubt I'd get offered that.

At this point in my dynasty league, I'd probably trade both Vernon Davis AND Todd Heap for a third round draft pick, but I doubt I'd get offered that.
he's still ranked 7 in the dynasty ranking here, not sure if they need to update that or what.

he's still ranked 7 in the dynasty ranking here, not sure if they need to update that or what.
yeah, they don't seem to update those rankings much during the season. Both Heap and Davis are ranked higher than they seem to be worth lately. Unfortunately, the people I'm trying to trade with don't seem to believe it either.

Watch what happens when I drop him. He will suddenly become the game plan for one week! Then everyone will scramble and the goose eggs will continue AFTER everyone loads him back up! Happens to me everytime I give up and dump a player!

I stayed away from him except a back up to Gates in a redraft this year with a 2 start TE flex option. I think it time to let go and worry about week 9 bye replacement for Gates week 9! I had hoped and I know others that drafted him with hopes of starting two tes as a flex also. Never worked out this year! I remember my first league with two TE start option I ruled the league with Heap and KELLEN as my double TE flex starters just 3 years ago. That secreat stragety didn;t work this year. That's for sure!

Sorry to be late in this thread.

Heap has had come chances this season. He has looked like a guy who hasn't played a lot recently. He hasn't had many chances, but hasn't made the most of them, with drops and fumbles.

He has been left in to block a lot as well.

There was an article in the local rag this week about Heap. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,4508457.story

"When Heap walks through the locker room, his head hangs and his shoulders sag. He looks disappointed and frustrated.

There have been rumblings that the new coaching staff considers him "soft" for not playing through a right calf injury in the preseason. Maybe that's why the Ravens have been using Heap as a blocker more than a receiver this season as their way to toughen him up. (It has been estimated that he blocked on more than half of the Ravens' passing plays against the Steelers.)"

"The tight end in this system is a football player," Cameron said. "He's not a wide receiver; he's a blocker first. When you get labeled as that receiving tight end, everyone measures your contribution in catches. Todd's contribution goes way beyond catches, and we just need to adjust our thinking a little bit. As you see Joe [Flacco] grow, I would think Todd's role would continue to grow as a receiver."

Heap is a good player, not a great one. What keeps him from being is great is his inability to stay on the field, and IMHO his skill set. He is not big enough to be an beast in the middle of the field, like a Gonzo in this prime, and not quick enough to stretch the field. He is an okay blocker at best. He is a poor man's Todd Christensen.

Nonexistent so far this season, even when healthy. Is he going to be a top 20 TE this year?
He was healthy last week. I'm a big Todd Heap fan and last Monday night, I really focused in on him, watching him even away from the ball. What I noticed is that he's staying in to block a lot more than he used to. The Ravens don't have the same team or even coaching staff they used to and it's obvious that the current staff just doesn't plan on using Heap as much as we're used to. Even when Heap goes out, I just don't see Flacco looking his way. He definately likes to go to his receivers and just hasn't formed the rapport with Heap that we've seen with other Ravens QB's over the years.

Heap has had come chances this season. He has looked like a guy who hasn't played a lot recently. He hasn't had many chances, but hasn't made the most of them, with drops and fumbles.

There was an article in the local rag this week about Heap. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,4508457.story

"When Heap walks through the locker room, his head hangs and his shoulders sag. He looks disappointed and frustrated.

There have been rumblings that the new coaching staff considers him "soft" for not playing through a right calf injury in the preseason. Maybe that's why the Ravens have been using Heap as a blocker more than a receiver this season as their way to toughen him up. (It has been estimated that he blocked on more than half of the Ravens' passing plays against the Steelers.)"

"The tight end in this system is a football player," Cameron said. "He's not a wide receiver; he's a blocker first. When you get labeled as that receiving tight end, everyone measures your contribution in catches. Todd's contribution goes way beyond catches, and we just need to adjust our thinking a little bit. As you see Joe [Flacco] grow, I would think Todd's role would continue to grow as a receiver."

Heap is a good player, not a great one. What keeps him from being is great is his inability to stay on the field, and IMHO his skill set. He is not big enough to be an beast in the middle of the field, like a Gonzo in this prime, and not quick enough to stretch the field. He is an okay blocker at best. He is a poor man's Todd Christensen.
That's an interesting comment, considering he made a superstar out of Antonio Gates in his system *catching passes*!

That's an interesting comment, considering he made a superstar out of Antonio Gates in his system *catching passes*!
Since Gates, he (Camamoron) drafted Ted Ginn in the 1st round and Beck in the 2nd. Neither is anything. When did this guy fall on his head and damage his brain because he totally sucks at what he does now.

Heap of...
....a rookie QB. This was expected. Started Olsen last week over him and it looks like Olsen gets the start until this sissyfied offense throws his way.Man, I want to cut him so bad.
Bingo!Drafted Heap, then dropped him for Olsen, then cut Olsen for ................Heap and last night I cut him for (Drumroll please) Olsen. That's it, I'm done with him but I thank god that I'm talking TE 2 here. Considering each move does cost $$, I can't believe that even I did such tomfoolery.

The game plan for the Ravens against the Steelers was maximum protection in all pass plays. The tightend stayed in on every pass play in the first half. I thought Camaron was setting up a few opportunities for Heap in the seam for the second half but, the wheels fell off the train in the second half for the Ravens. Heap will stay in and block for the rookie QB a lot this season. His looks will come when the Ravens establish the running game, he should exceed in play-action opportunities. Problem is that Flacco is about 3/4 to 1.5 seconds late on most pass plays, he reads and reacts too slowly. Temper your enthusiam for Heap this year. I'd hang on to him if you're in a keeper league and you have a servicable starter. I think we'll all know by week 10-12 if Flacco will start recognizing Heap in the seam quickly enough to get him the ball. For those dissapointed in the Wilcox TD, don't be. That play has been in the offensive plan forever, Wilcox is always in near the goaline for his blocking ability and once in a while slides through the defense. Wilcox was doing that even when Heap was having his best fantasy years. I think Heap ranks in the 13-16 slot for TEs for the rest of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped him week 1, after taking him late in the draft as my TE2. Didn't want to deal with the drama week in and week out. He'll be bound to have a huge game once, and I'm not gonna take all the mediocre games to try and catch the one big one.

Its not that I have that much better TEs (Olsen, Fasano), but I just don't believe Heap can be consistently good anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread