What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Herm Edwards (1 Viewer)

Larry Thomas

Footballguy
Herm Edwards talked to Sports Radio 810 Kansas City, the words "in the box" came up often as Herm admitted Pollard wasn't a coverage guy, below are a few excerpts. I had to post my :2cents: , this blows me away. Is it me or does Herm makes himself look pretty foolish here?

Edwards on Pollard

"He's never been the type of player you want in space. He's not a space guy but he plays better traditionally in the box. That's where he played at Purdue. Similar to a linebacker or traditional strong safety kinda guy.

Seriously? Drafted to play safety in a Tampa-2/Cover 2 scheme which requires safeties to cover deep halves and you don’t want him in space. :lmao:

Is it harder to use a traditional strong safety in today's NFL?

"You make a good point in that teams spread you out but I think you're still going to play certain coverage’s where you're going to need guys in the box, whether it be in run support or pass coverage.

"In pass coverage, talking about playing the box, we're talking about playing in the flat or the hook area, nothing in the deep part of the football field. When you play zones, you need guys underneath when you play those zones. Theyr'e going to play in some form or fashion, the hook areas and the wide areas outside the numbers.

Nothing in the deep part… nothing. Did I hear you right, nothing in the deep part, you don’t want your safety to play in the deep part at all?

Should a team try moving him to linebacker?

"I don't know that. He's big, but he's not that big. He's kind of a tweener. I tihnk he can play safety if you play him in a traditional role.

"He needs to be in the box. Like 85% of the time he needs to be in the box. He needs to be a box player. That's probably where he'll probably flourish.

Pretty much impossible Herm, traditional strong safeties are all but extinct, you can’t cover, you get exposed, Of course you’re a (were a) head coach in the National Football League you already know that.

Herm, Herm, Herm. In the box 85% of the time, cover-2… gotcha. What do you think of when you hear the names Roy Williams, Adam Archuleta and Michael Boulware? Nevermind.

When we drafted Bernard, I think in the third round or something like that, we were in a safety mode. We needed some safeties.

Second round, twenty second pick Herm, that’s 2.22, 54th player overall. I think most of us in fake football playing dynasty leagues can remember who we took in the 2nd round a few years back. Maybe its selective memory, I mean why would you draft a safety in the 2nd round that can’t cover.

"Kinda like when we had Lynch in Tampa that's what he did. He played in the box a lot. He played halves at times in the middle of the field but for the most part he played in the box. He was a good cover guy, he could cover tight ends, which Bernard can do because he has enough speed to do that."

Being able to cover tight ends makes you a good cover guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Herm Edwards talked to Sports Radio 810 Kansas City, the words "in the box" came up often as Herm admitted Pollard wasn't a coverage guy, below are a few excerpts. I had to post my :P , this blows me away. Is it me or does Herm makes himself look pretty foolish here?

Edwards on Pollard

"He's never been the type of player you want in space. He's not a space guy but he plays better traditionally in the box. That's where he played at Purdue. Similar to a linebacker or traditional strong safety kinda guy.

Seriously? Drafted to play safety in a Tampa-2/Cover 2 scheme which requires safeties to cover deep halves and you don’t want him in space. :excited:

Is it harder to use a traditional strong safety in today's NFL?

"You make a good point in that teams spread you out but I think you're still going to play certain coverage’s where you're going to need guys in the box, whether it be in run support or pass coverage.

"In pass coverage, talking about playing the box, we're talking about playing in the flat or the hook area, nothing in the deep part of the football field. When you play zones, you need guys underneath when you play those zones. Theyr'e going to play in some form or fashion, the hook areas and the wide areas outside the numbers.

Nothing in the deep part… nothing. Did I hear you right, nothing in the deep part, you don’t want your safety to play in the deep part at all?

Should a team try moving him to linebacker?

"I don't know that. He's big, but he's not that big. He's kind of a tweener. I tihnk he can play safety if you play him in a traditional role.

"He needs to be in the box. Like 85% of the time he needs to be in the box. He needs to be a box player. That's probably where he'll probably flourish.

Pretty much impossible Herm, traditional strong safeties are all but extinct, you can’t cover, you get exposed, Of course you’re a (were a) head coach in the National Football League you already know that.

Herm, Herm, Herm. In the box 85% of the time, cover-2… gotcha. What do you think of when you hear the names Roy Williams, Adam Archuleta and Michael Boulware? Nevermind.

When we drafted Bernard, I think in the third round or something like that, we were in a safety mode. We needed some safeties.

Second round, twenty second pick Herm, that’s 2.22, 54th player overall. I think most of us in fake football playing dynasty leagues can remember who we took in the 2nd round a few years back. Maybe its selective memory, I mean why would you draft a safety in the 2nd round that can’t cover.

"Kinda like when we had Lynch in Tampa that's what he did. He played in the box a lot. He played halves at times in the middle of the field but for the most part he played in the box. He was a good cover guy, he could cover tight ends, which Bernard can do because he has enough speed to do that."

Being able to cover tight ends makes you a good cover guy?
Herm Edwards is not an idiot as the context suggests. He is, however, the king of spin and it frustrates people to no end. Obviously he thought Pollard was good enough in coverage to make it worth drafting and playing him for a few years. Lots of second rounders never play significant minutes, Pollard did. We should find Youtube video of him covering people to see the true evidence of whether or not he was regularly burned in coverage by TEs and WRs, as he obviously spent plenty of time covering in his two years starting along with being in the box. Unless he came out on third downs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread