What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hernandez convicted of first-degree murder; found deceased in his cell. (1 Viewer)

Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that AH is guilty? OJ was charged with murder and we all know he was found innocent. :loco:
This is a fantasy football forum. Let's hyphothetically say that he somehow doens't get charged with murder--but that the five gun counts stick and he gets obstruction charges for destroying evidence. Those offenses alone are very punishable. On top of that, he is unemployed-- so best case scenario--what team will hire a guy who will have been out of football for a year or two, was involved in one shooting in florida, and was at least in the fray for a murder, who has major gun charges on his record, who still would have to do deal with a tyrant like commish in goodell? In regards to fantasy football--AH's guilt or innocence is basically irrelevant. Even if he's innocent--he has very little value at best. We're not posting on CNN here.
I can accurately say that there is a zero percent chance of this.

Look ma no speculation!

Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that AH is guilty? OJ was charged with murder and we all know he was found innocent. :loco:
This is a fantasy football forum. Let's hyphothetically say that he somehow doens't get charged with murder--but that the five gun counts stick and he gets obstruction charges for destroying evidence. Those offenses alone are very punishable. On top of that, he is unemployed-- so best case scenario--what team will hire a guy who will have been out of football for a year or two, was involved in one shooting in florida, and was at least in the fray for a murder, who has major gun charges on his record, who still would have to do deal with a tyrant like commish in goodell? In regards to fantasy football--AH's guilt or innocence is basically irrelevant. Even if he's innocent--he has very little value at best. We're not posting on CNN here.
I strongly disagree here. If AH is released in 4 years he's only 27 or so. Absolutely another team would sign him and give him a "second chance." In fact, he'd have multiple suitors.

He's a changed man, found God in prison, devoting himself to his family, etc. It can be spun. People can barely remember last month's news cycle let alone an entire Presidential term ago.

That said, I don't think he's seeing the light of day for a loooooooong time.

I strongly disagree here. If AH is released in 4 years he's only 27 or so. Absolutely another team would sign him and give him a "second chance." In fact, he'd have multiple suitors.

He's a changed man, found God in prison, devoting himself to his family, etc. It can be spun. People can barely remember last month's news cycle let alone an entire Presidential term ago.

If he goes to jail for several years for participation in a murder, I'd think Goodell imposes a lifetime ban.

I can accurately say that there is a zero percent chance of this.Look ma no speculation!
I know this is a meaningless distinction to many but no defendant is found innocent. They're found not guilty.

Any chance he could plead insanity? The comments about him feeling he couldn't trust anyone anymore sounds like paranoia to me. Schizophrenia typically has an onset in the late teens/early 20s. Also, reports indicated he came to feel he was above the law after getting his contract extension. Stressors aren't always negative things. The huge contract and resulting change of life could have been a major stressor capable of triggering mental disorder. Could also be an alternative to significantly substandard IQ in terms of explaining the poorly executed execution. Could also explain his lack of emotion/blowing a kiss in court, etc.
What the #### is going on in this forum lately?
I consider this an island of FFA that's ended up in the Shark Pool.

Btw, Florio announced just now that the NFL has banned the sale of the 81 Hernandez jersey.

-QG
Interesting reaction... pretend he never existed.
That is the NFL for you. Roll out the troops and the flags at every opporunity. Shine a light on Pat Tillman.

Sweep it under the rug when one of your violent thugs does something unsavory.
I don't know if this is sarcasm, but you guys really do a lot of #####ing in here -- I wouldn't think a football board would have this level of estrogen.

people are always complaining about thugs in pro sports, so some guy gets arrested for murder and the league takes quick action.

and then of course the same people #####ing about thugs in the sport ##### about this, now.
The league trades in violence and aggression while trying to market itself as a virtuous center of American culture. Football is great entertainment, but there's nothing particularly wholesome about the game or the men who play it. The NFL wants to be seen a certain way, but that PR work is difficult when your players are killing people and running dog fighting rings off the field while concussing their way to an early grave on it. I enjoy the spectacle, but let's call it what it is: a watered down modern day version of Rome's gladiator pits.
That's really "deep" but doesn't really have anything to do with this thread. Whether or not what you say is true, it's entirely reasonable and acceptable that the NFL would like to draw a line between the "violence and aggression" that is a part of its game and, you know, cold-blooded, execution-style murder. Deciding to no longer profit from a player who has apparently done the latter is not "sweeping it under the rug." It's moving on from an ex-player, which is the right thing to do.

If he goes to jail for several years for participation in a murder, I'd think Goodell imposes a lifetime ban.
:goodposting:

This guy will never play another down for an NFL team. Its over.

Optimism has no place in this thread.

I can accurately say that there is a zero percent chance of this.Look ma no speculation!
I know this is a meaningless distinction to many but no defendant is found innocent. They're found not guilty.
Correct, there is a difference.

IMO, I don't really see a scenario where Hernandez is out in 4 years. He either misses a couple of years going to trial and then is acquitted . . . or he's going away for way longer than his football career.

[SIZE=10.5pt]If I understand the insanity defense correctly, the defense has to show that the defendant didn’t know his actions were wrong or didn’t understand what the result or consequences of his actions. He may well have some kind of psychosis, but it would be hard to prove that he met the standards of the insanity defense based on his other actions before and after the murder.[/SIZE]

Dinner is served:

Wednesday night's dinner at the Dartmouth House of Correction was chop suey green beans and a slice of bread, the sheriff said. Hernandez will only be allowed out of his one-person cell for showers and phone calls. Authorities will perform background checks on any visitors.

Any chance he could plead insanity? The comments about him feeling he couldn't trust anyone anymore sounds like paranoia to me. Schizophrenia typically has an onset in the late teens/early 20s. Also, reports indicated he came to feel he was above the law after getting his contract extension. Stressors aren't always negative things. The huge contract and resulting change of life could have been a major stressor capable of triggering mental disorder. Could also be an alternative to significantly substandard IQ in terms of explaining the poorly executed execution. Could also explain his lack of emotion/blowing a kiss in court, etc.
I consider this an island of FFA that's ended up in the Shark Pool.

Btw, Florio announced just now that the NFL has banned the sale of the 81 Hernandez jersey.

-QG
Interesting reaction... pretend he never existed.
That is the NFL for you. Roll out the troops and the flags at every opporunity. Shine a light on Pat Tillman.

Sweep it under the rug when one of your violent thugs does something unsavory.
I don't know if this is sarcasm, but you guys really do a lot of #####ing in here -- I wouldn't think a football board would have this level of estrogen.

people are always complaining about thugs in pro sports, so some guy gets arrested for murder and the league takes quick action.

and then of course the same people #####ing about thugs in the sport ##### about this, now.
The league trades in violence and aggression while trying to market itself as a virtuous center of American culture. Football is great entertainment, but there's nothing particularly wholesome about the game or the men who play it. The NFL wants to be seen a certain way, but that PR work is difficult when your players are killing people and running dog fighting rings off the field while concussing their way to an early grave on it. I enjoy the spectacle, but let's call it what it is: a watered down modern day version of Rome's gladiator pits.
Not that I disagree with the characterization of the game, but I think we need to consider general crime rates when evaluating NFL player crime rates.

When it comes to arrests, NFL players are less likely to be arrested than the general population: http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201110/nfls-surprising-new-arrest-leader
Yea, I didn't mean to characterize the whole NFL as thugs. Most of them don't deserve that label. A few do.

I just find the NFL's attempts to maintain a squeaky clean All-American image amusing when it doesn't jive with the product that they're selling. This is a violent, destructive game.

As far as the crime rate goes, NFL players make a lot more money than the average person. I'd guess that crime rates are a lot lower in the high income brackets amongst the general US population. Take away football as a distraction and source of income, and guys like Vick, Britt, and Hernandez probably would've been in prison long ago.

Dinner is served:

Wednesday night's dinner at the Dartmouth House of Correction was chop suey green beans and a slice of bread, the sheriff said. Hernandez will only be allowed out of his one-person cell for showers and phone calls. Authorities will perform background checks on any visitors.
lol cafeteria chop suey green beans -- good eatin'!

Sometimes, with a murder case, overwhelming circumstantial evidence is enough. Unless the defense is able to muster some semblance of a plausible story, the prosecution doesn't need the gun or forensic evidence. Video says your with the guy, text messages say your with the guy, they have you picking him up, returning with weapons. The only time they can't account for is the 5 minutes where you killed him. Did Superman fly in and do it? Did he trip and shoot himself in the back of his head? Was someone already at the site that did it? With OJ and others, there are big gaps that can be used to create a counter story to sell the jury as reasonable doubt, I don't see how you're making a counter story here unless a lot of this evidence isn't allowed.

If what we know plays at trial, they don't need hard evidence, they're all going away. Yet, with the intelligence of these guys, I'd bet they have plenty of hard evidence.
just so we can put an end to these ridiculous over the top posts -- I'm pretty sure superman wouldn't need a gun to kill that guy.

and before you switch it to batman -- he doesn't use guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes, with a murder case, overwhelming circumstantial evidence is enough. Unless the defense is able to muster some semblance of a plausible story, the prosecution doesn't need the gun or forensic evidence. Video says your with the guy, text messages say your with the guy, they have you picking him up, returning with weapons. The only time they can't account for is the 5 minutes where you killed him. Did Superman fly in and do it? Did he trip and shoot himself in the back of his head? Was someone already at the site that did it? With OJ and others, there are big gaps that can be used to create a counter story to sell the jury as reasonable doubt, I don't see how you're making a counter story here unless a lot of this evidence isn't allowed.

If what we know plays at trial, they don't need hard evidence, they're all going away. Yet, with the intelligence of these guys, I'd bet they have plenty of hard evidence.
just so we can put an end to these ridiculous over the top posts -- I'm pretty sure superman wouldn't need a gun to kill that guy.

Not really true, he used to carry a gun but currently doesn't.

Dinner is served:

:X I would blow that right out my ### if I had to eat that slop.

to be fair to the guy, not everybody watches csi and ncis -- some people grow up watching goodfellas
Scarface, IMO.

Seriously, this has to be the dumbest guy ever, for a multitude of reasons. Any of us would have traded places with him two weeks ago. Now he gets to rot in jail thinking about how stupid he is until the day he dies. Master criminal... took the cops about 8 minutes to piece together the entire genius plan.

gtfo -- when did batman ever carry a gun?

and don't give me any nonsense about a batarang gun, grappling hook gun, batgas spraying gun, etc

to be fair to the guy, not everybody watches csi and ncis -- some people grow up watching goodfellas
Scarface, IMO.

Seriously, this has to be the dumbest guy ever, for a multitude of reasons. Any of us would have traded places with him two weeks ago. Now he gets to rot in jail thinking about how stupid he is until the day he died. Master criminal... took the cop about 8 minutes to piece together the entire genius plan.
Agreed. It's almost like I am more mad at him for being such an idiot than I am that he actually committed murder.

gtfo -- when did batman ever carry a gun?

and don't give me any nonsense about a batarang gun, grappling hook gun, batgas spraying gun, etc
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/07/gun-laws-and-batman.html

In a story published in October of 1939, Batman used a handgun to shoot a vampire—silver bullets to the heart. He used a gun again in the next episode, to fire some shots at two evil henchmen.

batman-2.jpg

At the time, Detective Comics had just hired a new editorial director, a guy from Brooklyn named Whitney Ellsworth. (Not long after hiring Ellsworth, Detective Comics established an editorial advisory board, consisting of people like psychologists and English professors.) When Kane submitted his next story, Batman was shooting again. “Ellsworth said to take the gun out,” Kane remembered.

Scarface, IMO.

Seriously, this has to be the dumbest guy ever, for a multitude of reasons. Any of us would have traded places with him two weeks ago. Now he gets to rot in jail thinking about how stupid he is until the day he died. Master criminal... took the cop about 8 minutes to piece together the entire genius plan.
Agreed. It's almost like I am more mad at him for being such an idiot than I am that he actually committed murder.
I really want to understand the series of decisions this ####### has made in his life to get here but I just can't.

Dinner is served:

:X I would blow that right out my ### if I had to eat that slop.
that might be a good defense mechanism in prison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38rqSfN3wkg

Bats doesn't like guns but he doesn't mind blowing #### up and using small explosives, never really understood that

Bats doesn't like guns but he doesn't mind blowing #### up and using small explosives, never really understood that
uh...because his parents weren't killed by a small explosion?

noob

btw, I'm not counting any of that stuff from the 30s

uh...because his parents weren't killed by a small explosion?

noob

btw, I'm not counting any of that stuff from the 30s
yet explosives would kill a lot more people than a gun, totally takes away form everything he stands for imo

Insanity is better than whatever load of trash they come up with. This is a mountain of evidence.
I don't know about Insanity but they could sure plead stupidity. These guys belong on America's Dumbest Criminals.
The insanity plea is ridiculous. Stop watching Law & Order. Hernandez would have had either had to a.) not know his conduct was criminal or b.) be unable to conform his conduct to the requirements of the law. Obviously neither applies to Hernandez. *If* he committed this crime, it wasn't because he was insane.
...lots of hostility in this thread.

Like most people, I think that he is guilty of murder, not too bright, and about to get what he deserves.

However, some people are also wrestling with how he could be SO unintelligent, making an absurdly irrational decision to throw away multi-millions by being present at, and possibly pulling the trigger at, a murder that was extremely poorly carried out/covered up.

There have also been reports of his recent behaviour exhibiting possible grandiosity (since the contract extension), possible paranoia (not feeling he can trust anyone anymore), and possible psychopathology (not showing any emotion at the trial).

Given these reports, and that he is in his early 20s (which is when schizophrenia typically manifests), regularly faces significant stressors (which can trigger underlying predisposition to mental disorder), and has a history of drug use (which can be linked to the onset of schizophrenia), I wondered in passing if it may come out that he has mental disorder. Following this, I asked, if this is the case, if it could be used in his defense, since I don't know the legal ins and outs.

Or, more probably, he's just a dumb thug -- I agree.

Dont know if i am late on this but I dont wanna go back thru a bunch of crap.

WHOA! https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/350017728054181889/photo/1

Is it me or does he look high as hell?
The TMZ pic is from 2009. Could be wrong, but I doubt it has any relevance in the current murder, other than reinforce he's been a thug for a while.
so that was taken before he was drafted? Still don't get how he fell to the 4th.

Can someone change is wiki page picture to him in handcuffs

I've read about 3 of every 10 pages in this thread. Practically everyone vocal in this thread is saying this is a slam dunk. The media really does control most of your thoughts and ideas, you pathetic herd of cattle. There's a reason a person is considered innocent until proven guilty and it's because the horror of a sending an innocent man to prison is thousands times worse than freeing a guilty man. It's also easy to conclude a verdict without seeing all the evidence. I hope none of you have ever been on a jury with a person's fate in your hands. Let's let this trial play out before we condemn someone.

There are several plausible scenarios that could justify AH's innocence. Perhaps he's so deep in gang b.s. that he was forced to murder his buddy. If he doesn't comply then he would be tortured/killed/ or his family tortured/killed. There have probably been thousands of "slam dunk" cases historically where the defendant is legitimately innocent (sometimes not discovered until years later). Being setup should not be ruled out as an explanation for AH's involvement. It's hard for me to understand how dumb he'd have to be to do everything exactly wrong. In fact, it's so ridiculous I think a setup is more likely than AH murdering someone.

I've read about 3 of every 10 pages in this thread. Practically everyone vocal in this thread is saying this is a slam dunk. The media really does control most of your thoughts and ideas, you pathetic herd of cattle. There's a reason a person is considered innocent until proven guilty and it's because the horror of a sending an innocent man to prison is thousands times worse than freeing a guilty man. It's also easy to conclude a verdict without seeing all the evidence. I hope none of you have ever been on a jury with a person's fate in your hands. Let's let this trial play out before we condemn someone.

There are several plausible scenarios that could justify AH's innocence. Perhaps he's so deep in gang b.s. that he was forced to murder his buddy. If he doesn't comply then he would be tortured/killed/ or his family tortured/killed. There have probably been thousands of "slam dunk" cases historically where the defendant is legitimately innocent (sometimes not discovered until years later). Being setup should not be ruled out as an explanation for AH's involvement. It's hard for me to understand how dumb he'd have to be to do everything exactly wrong. In fact, it's so ridiculous I think a setup is more likely than AH murdering someone.
:lmao: GTFO. This idiot is going to prison for the rest of his life.

0/187

Meh, not really. But keep dreaming, the dream, man.

I thought AH's attorneys agreed not to publically discuss the case. You reconsider that already?

:goodposting:

This guy will never play another down for an NFL team. Its over.

Optimism has no place in this thread.
My scenario was bourne from cynicism, but optimism. ;)

you are 100% entirely correct about the innocent until proven guilty, and I in no way can state for a fact that ahern is actually a murderer.

however, what you might be overlooking is that you are currently posting on a fantasy football messageboard --- maybe you googled the site and didn't realize it, and oftentimes people on a board such as this speculate about the future of the occasional player.

I would guess this is not the first player speculated upon, and my guess is that hernandez is more of an avoid than an exploit, at this point in time.

I, however, am not a professional ff player.

Users who are viewing this thread