What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hope Sproles price stays intact (1 Viewer)

MAC_32

Footballguy
Liked the dip I saw over the last few weeks,fear that may correct after tonight. Just hope not too much. He is going to out produce a pile of those hazy mid round picks at half the cost.

As long as McCoy is healthy, I also don't think Sproles will get a ton of touches. Shady can do it all.

I think Sproles has a specific role Shady or no Shady, he'll be looking at the second most targets on the field (as long as Maclin is out there anyway) with the occasional misdirection run call. In a Chip Kelly-run offense, I think his upside with those touches justifies the dice roll.

Shady 60%+ Sproles 30%. Also that was probably the last time you'll see Sproles get a goalline carry this year.

Get ready for a bunch of games like this, in between a big one here and there:

2 carries for 6 yards

3 catches for 21 yards

0 TD

seems better in best ball leagues than redrafts.

I dont think people she expect the ppr monster that he was in the NOLA

Best kept secret in FF right now. I was intending on starting a thread on this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as McCoy is healthy, I also don't think Sproles will get a ton of touches. Shady can do it all.
That's true, but Sproles is still good enough to get 8-12 touches a game and take some of the burden off McCoy so he doesn't wear down too quickly.

I'm not very high on Sproles, even in full PPR. He's coming off the board as a low-end RB3 and I'd much rather have many of the RBs going around him either due them having more established roles or higher upside. Even if McCoy were to go down, the % bump in his (Sproles) snaps and subsequent touches probably wouldn't be as large as some would like. The only fantasy impact here is how Sproles likely limits McCoy's PPR upside.

swirvenirvin said:
Demian said:
Ourproducing other mid round RB's.

Sproles saw more action because Shady went down. Polk didnt dress or didnt play, but I think Sproles does not handle those extra carries if Shady goes down. He will get 3-4 carries a game 3-4 catches a game.
Somewhat off topic, but is he a lock to make the roster? Been out for nearly a month now for a hammy, has had chronic injury issues previously, and was a UDFA. Id have to think McCoy and Sproles are the only locks, Barner likely because of return duties and Oregon ties, but I mainly bring it up because Josey and Tucker have looked really good this preseason.

McCoy has left the last two games with turf toe and a thumb? Sproles offers good PPR value and takes a big jump with a McCoy injury. Good value at ADP.

Even with a healthy McCoy there is room enough for 2 RBs in the Eagles running offense, something like 20 carries per game for McCoy, up to 10 for Sproles... in fact it's probably ideal for Kelly. Last year at the beginning of the season McCoy was gassed due to the speed of the offense, not to mention his minor health issues with the toe and thumb. There are also good reasons to support Shady getting slightly fewer carries than last season. It's in their best interest to preserve their best player, but McCoy still gets 300 carries.

Sproles will also get his fair share of 5+ target games. Solid value, low end RB2 numbers, potentially low end RB1 weeks in PPR.

We've seen this before... remember when Payton brought Sproles to New Orleans? Kelly now makes two creative offensive coaches who have sought out Sproles. Kelly will figure out ways to use him just like Payton, and this offense can support him just like the Saints.

Sproles has only averaged 10 touches per game once in his career, and that came 3 years ago while playing with RBs no where near as talented as McCoy. He's a role player- he'll get some touches, but in no way is he going to be reliable in fantasy, even ppr.

I like sproles in this offense. Shady is a special talent, but he gets banged up. In ppr I believe Sproles has great upside.

Sproles has only averaged 10 touches per game once in his career, and that came 3 years ago while playing with RBs no where near as talented as McCoy. He's a role player- he'll get some touches, but in no way is he going to be reliable in fantasy, even ppr.
I don't worry too much about the historical usage profile of a guy who spent his whole career in one system, and now finds himself in a completely different one. That kind of switch sends players' historical precedents head over heels all the time. :shrug:

Danny Woodhead never had more than 40 receptions in a season, till he switched teams and did.

Charlie Garner never ran for more than 600 yards in a season, till he switched teams and did.

I definitely think there's a limit to how many rushes he can get behind a workhorse back, but I'm not too comfortable pretending I can figure out Chip Kelly.

I don't worry too much about the historical usage profile of a guy who spent his whole career in one system, and now finds himself in a completely different one. That kind of switch sends players' historical precedents head over heels all the time. :shrug:

Danny Woodhead never had more than 40 receptions in a season, till he switched teams and did.

Charlie Garner never ran for more than 600 yards in a season, till he switched teams and did.

I definitely think there's a limit to how many rushes he can get behind a workhorse back, but I'm not too comfortable pretending I can figure out Chip Kelly.
I don't think any of those guys were 31 year old 5'6" RBs heading into their 10th NFL season, and none of them had a RB anywhere near as talented as McCoy to compete with.

He is who he is at this point- I'll never say never, but I'd be shocked if he averages 10+ touches per game this year (barring injury).

I'm not very high on Sproles, even in full PPR. He's coming off the board as a low-end RB3 and I'd much rather have many of the RBs going around him either due them having more established roles or higher upside.
Who?
I think it's safe to assume players like MJD and SJax will have more opportunity to produce if they stay healthy. I think it's safe to assume players like Hyde and Freeman represent more upside in the event that the starter goes down.

I'm not very high on Sproles, even in full PPR. He's coming off the board as a low-end RB3 and I'd much rather have many of the RBs going around him either due them having more established roles or higher upside.
Who?
I think it's safe to assume players like MJD and SJax will have more opportunity to produce if they stay healthy. I think it's safe to assume players like Hyde and Freeman represent more upside in the event that the starter goes down.
mjd is interesting, but s jacks? No. He's toast. Couldn't even make it a week in camp.The difference between Sproles and guys like Hyde and Freeman are Sproles doesn't need something to happen for his role to become fantasy meaningful. Ideally, I get Sproles and another player like Hyde and Freeman.

In my opinion, Sproles should be a lot more valuable on a team like NO than he would on a team like the Eagles who have a stud RB and don't have a prolific passing offense.

He wasn't start able most of last year so you most likely won't be able to start him this year. The Saints wouldn't have let him walk if he was the old Sproles.

Low floor low ceiling. Injuries won't get him more playing time. Like a couple others said, if you're looking for a flyer look elsewhere with someone with more upside.

I think Sproles has a specific role Shady or no Shady, he'll be looking at the second most targets on the field (as long as Maclin is out there anyway) with the occasional misdirection run call. In a Chip Kelly-run offense, I think his upside with those touches justifies the dice roll.
I think you are overvaluing Sproles's ability as a receiver and undervaluing the offense he left behind in New Orleans.

McCoy is a bigger threat to an opposing defense than Sproles in every facet of the game. The volume of targets Sproles saw in New Orleans doesn't make him Marshall Faulk 2.0 in terms of actual receiving ability.

Sure, he has a niche. But it isn't one that McCoy can't fill. It's one that other RB's on the roster can't fill. ;)

I expect McCoy and Sproles to be on the field at the same time quite often.
Not sure what you are driving at.

I expect McCoy and Maclin to be on the field at the same time quite often.

And McCoy and Matthews...

And McCoy and Ertz....

But the ball is only going to one guy on each play. McCoy is the best talent they have. I'm betting on McCoy getting the lion's share of those touches.

Did anyone else catch in the game when the announcer quoted Chip Kelley saying that McCoy and Sproles are "interchangeable" in the offense. Kelley wants to run the ball. He can't grind McCoy into the ground. The offense creates so many holes and spaces that it seems tailor made for Sproles. He will get his touches and that offense will generate points.

He's averaged less than 10 touches a game and still been extremely relevant. I love him as a rb2 this year.

I think you are overvaluing Sproles's ability as a receiver and undervaluing the offense he left behind in New Orleans.

McCoy is a bigger threat to an opposing defense than Sproles in every facet of the game. The volume of targets Sproles saw in New Orleans doesn't make him Marshall Faulk 2.0 in terms of actual receiving ability.

Sure, he has a niche. But it isn't one that McCoy can't fill. It's one that other RB's on the roster can't fill. ;)
I don't think I'm under valuing the offense in New Orleans, I think others are under valuing the offense in Philly.

Did anyone else catch in the game when the announcer quoted Chip Kelley saying that McCoy and Sproles are "interchangeable" in the offense. Kelley wants to run the ball. He can't grind McCoy into the ground. The offense creates so many holes and spaces that it seems tailor made for Sproles. He will get his touches and that offense will generate points.

He's averaged less than 10 touches a game and still been extremely relevant. I love him as a rb2 this year.
What makes you say this? He gave McCoy 366 touches last year, when he had over 2100 total yards, and they were the 2nd best offense in the NFL (best in the NFC). Why on earth would they go messing with that?

The Eagles go out and get Sproles, pay him good money and you think they wont use him?

How many years in a row do you think they can give McCoy the ball 350+

I'm not saying McCoy will suffer due to Sproles presence. But I have no idea why so many are opposed the the concept of Mccoy getting 20-25 touches and Sproles getting 10. The Eagles led he NFL in offensive snaps last year and will again this year. There is plenty to go around..

Even with a healthy McCoy there is room enough for 2 RBs in the Eagles running offense, something like 20 carries per game for McCoy, up to 10 for Sproles... in fact it's probably ideal for Kelly. Last year at the beginning of the season McCoy was gassed due to the speed of the offense, not to mention his minor health issues with the toe and thumb. There are also good reasons to support Shady getting slightly fewer carries than last season. It's in their best interest to preserve their best player, but McCoy still gets 300 carries.

Sproles will also get his fair share of 5+ target games. Solid value, low end RB2 numbers, potentially low end RB1 weeks in PPR.

We've seen this before... remember when Payton brought Sproles to New Orleans? Kelly now makes two creative offensive coaches who have sought out Sproles. Kelly will figure out ways to use him just like Payton, and this offense can support him just like the Saints.
You may be thinking about Sproles 3 years ago, but the dood is getting up their in age. Could tell last year, and I remeber it was documented pretty well he wasnt getting as open as he had in the past.

Who?
Would rather have these guys

[SIZE=small]Ben Tate[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Lamar Miller[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Fred Jackson[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Maurice Jones-Drew[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Steven Jackson[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Darren Sproles[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Frank Gore[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Darren McFadden[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Stevan Ridley[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Bernard Pierce[/SIZE]

Sproles didn't spend his entire career in a single system. He was in SD for years before coming to NO.

The Eagles go out and get Sproles, pay him good money and you think they wont use him?

How many years in a row do you think they can give McCoy the ball 350+

I'm not saying McCoy will suffer due to Sproles presence. But I have no idea why so many are opposed the the concept of Mccoy getting 20-25 touches and Sproles getting 10. The Eagles led he NFL in offensive snaps last year and will again this year. There is plenty to go around..
No one said they won't use him, the discussion is about how much.

Don't know, but it can certainly be more than 1.

Not even close- the Eagles were 13th in offensive snaps last season, which is fewer than the team Sproles played for. Sproles was only able to get 24% of the RB touches for the Saints while competing with guys like Thomas, Ingram, and Robinson- do you think it's likely that he's going to command a higher percentage from a much more talented RB like McCoy? Philly was the leading rushing team in the NFL (by a lot) last year- do you expect them to mess with what worked so well because they brought in 31 yo RB?

Sproles isn't what he was, and he's only averaged 10 touches per game once in his career (which was 3 seasons ago). All things considered, it doesn't seem likely that this is the 2nd time he does so.

Who?
Would rather have these guys

[SIZE=small]Ben Tate[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Lamar Miller[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Fred Jackson[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Maurice Jones-Drew[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Steven Jackson[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Darren Sproles[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Frank Gore[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Darren McFadden[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Stevan Ridley[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Bernard Pierce[/SIZE]
Gore and Tate, yes. I won't battle with MJD, but I prefer Sproles. The rest? Sproles, easy. There's one more not mentioned I'm having a hard time with, Carlos Hyde, especially if I already have Gore.

I expect McCoy and Sproles to be on the field at the same time quite often.
Not sure what you are driving at.

I expect McCoy and Maclin to be on the field at the same time quite often.

And McCoy and Matthews...

And McCoy and Ertz....

But the ball is only going to one guy on each play. McCoy is the best talent they have. I'm betting on McCoy getting the lion's share of those touches.
So only 1 guy per team has value? :confused:

I'm guessing he means that it doesn't really matter if they're both on the field at the same time, only 1 of them is getting the ball, and it's very likely not going to be Sproles most of the time in those situations.

I'm guessing he means that it doesn't really matter if they're both on the field at the same time, only 1 of them is getting the ball, and it's very likely not going to be Sproles most of the time in those situations.
On any given play only one person gets the ball, yet some teams produce fantasy value for more than one person.

Got him in the 10th round last night in a 12-team full point PPR league. Love him as my 4th RB behind Forte, Vereen and Jennings.

On any given play only one person gets the ball, yet some teams produce fantasy value for more than one person.
Everyone knows that. What does that have to do with them being on the field at the same time, unless you get points per snap played?

Users who are viewing this thread