What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HOT SPORTS TAKES - A man who won't stand for the anthem is an act that we as Americans shouldn't stand for (1 Viewer)

I think I can do Albom. That's the kind of #### that got me good grades in journalism school before I ran for the hills.

Of course, had Donaldson applied that same tag to Jeter's chest, it's probably Donaldson who would have come away injured. Why's that, you ask? Because he would have probably come in contact with Jeter's heart, something that is undefeated over these 20-something years.
Mount Kilauea has got nothing on this.

The Sizzler is doing some great work here, but can we expand past the Reilly and King takes. Maybe give me some schlocky, sentimental Mitch Albom? A little shrill Lupica? Some nice victim-blaming Jason Whitlock?
If I could be like Mike

What's your favorite commercial? My guess is that it's something from your youth? Today, I watch very few commercials. With technologies like the DVR and on-Demand programming most people are doing the same and are fine with having their commercials go away. It's nice, but in days gone by commercials were always a way to get a glimpse at some of our favorite athletes. My favorite is still the favorite of many, especially those who grew up in the era that I did.

Sometimes I dream. That his is me. If I could be like Mike. Be like Mike.

Michael Jordan transcended sports, transcended race, transcended just about everything there is to transcend and with commercials like "Be Like Mike" he became the biggest star the NBA has ever known or probably will know. The key drive there to me is race, this was quite possibly one of the first African-American men that white men wanted to be like. They were in awe of him and envied his skill. White kids WANTED to be Michael Jordan. How often did white kids ever wish they were black up until this point? No need to answer - it never happened.

Today there's a new Mike in town and he resides in the sunshine state and he plays baseball. Mike Trout is the new wonder kid of baseball. He has all the tools, he's a phenom. Are kids out on the playground pretending to be Mike Trout? No. And you know why not? Because he's white. Our country has made it not cool to be white, only African-Americans are hip and cool. As an African-American this offends me. You know what, today I want to be like Mike but it's no longer Jordan. It's Mike Trout.

The Sizzler is doing some great work here, but can we expand past the Reilly and King takes. Maybe give me some schlocky, sentimental Mitch Albom? A little shrill Lupica? Some nice victim-blaming Jason Whitlock?
Today there's a new Mike in town and he resides in the sunshine state and he plays baseball. Mike Trout is the new wonder kid of baseball. He has all the tools, he's a phenom. Are kids out on the playground pretending to be Mike Trout? No. And you know why not? Because he's white. Our country has made it not cool to be white, only African-Americans are hip and cool. As an African-American this offends me. You know what, today I want to be like Mike but it's no longer Jordan. It's Mike Trout.
1. Not enough black blaming and dissing of hip hop culture.

2. Mike Trout plays for the Angels...the ones in California.

Yeah, that ####'s going to get some complaints, get pulled down, and the author will apologize. It should get pulled down because it's unfunny and terribly written, Drew Magary does this shtick a lot better.

Unlike a lot of other sports where I'm filled with vitriol and hatred, I don't really loathe too many other teams. Mexico, for obvious reasons. Portugal, for club-team-I-follow reasons. Everyone else? :shrug: Maybe it's a function of USMNT not being a legit contender.

Yea I pretty much like all the euro teams and Argentina.

I've been looking forward to a hater's guide to the World Cup from Magery. He has to do one.

Miami Loses Game 3...Scapegoat ID'd

Mario Chalmers. Really? A 2008 2nd Round Pick with a career 8.6 ppg average? Get off this guys you know what. Yes he bricked all his FG attempts and is not having a stellar series. Give me a clue though as to when was this guy paid to score or win games. Mario Chalmers. When did the Miami Heat become the big 4? If Im Mario, Im gonna push King James aside before the next tip and do the rosin/chalk blow it up in the air deal. I guess all the regular hype about King James, D-Wade and Bosh is only relevant in the regular season when losses are really meaningless.

So when San Antiono shoots 75% and scores 71 in the first half...guess what YOU LOSE BY 19 HEAT. Mario Chalmers is an afterthought, he only took 5 shots and will most likely be out of basketball in 3 or 4 years. Are you seriously going to blame him for this loss? King James annointed himself as the biggest target in sports last week when he cramped up. Apparently those paid to talk also cramped up.

Seriously...Mario Chalmers?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Not enough black blaming and dissing of hip hop culture.2. Mike Trout plays for the Angels...the ones in California.
:bag: I thought California was the sunshine state - I guess it's Florida?

Attempt at Albom. Stand back.

In the shadows of the Christ the Redeemer statue sits a house. In this house, they are not excited about the World Cup beginning tomorrow.

In this house there is still nothing but sadness and memories that can never be relived.

This small humble two bedroom home belonged to Fabio Hamilton da Cruz, who recently fell about 26 feet while helping install temporary seats at the Corinthians Arena where the World Cup begins tomorrow.

In this house the smell of tonight's dinner wafts through the house. If you closed your eyes you could even believe you were at one of the country's famous churrascos. Here though, one seat sits permanently open. There are pictures everywhere.

In the back alley a young boy kicks a makeshift soccer ball that has felt a thousand kicks. It is barely held together by tape. There is no colorful Adidas prototype here. No fancy bright yellow jersey celebrating the seleção. There are no screams from the crowd; no pleading for just one more run before the whistle blows.

What is an acceptable cost to stage a World Cup? How many lives are we ok with losing as long as we can see Maradona pass on his beautiful legacy to Messi?

What about the legacy Hamilton da Cruz would have passed on to his kids? What about the other 6 World Cup stadium workers who have needlessly died during the construction of these stadiums?

The Christ the Redeemer statue looms tall over the Brazilian countryside. You wonder if he's happy with what he's seen recently.

The World Cup starts in Brazil tomorrow; it will be gone in less than a month.

Will it take the country's soul with it?

Attempt at Albom. Stand back.

In the shadows of the Christ the Redeemer statue sits a house. In this house, they are not excited about the World Cup beginning tomorrow.

In this house there is still nothing but sadness and memories that can never be relived.

This small humble two bedroom home belonged to Fabio Hamilton da Cruz, who recently fell about 26 feet while helping install temporary seats at the Corinthians Arena where the World Cup begins tomorrow.

In this house the smell of tonight's dinner wafts through the house. If you closed your eyes you could even believe you were at one of the country's famous churrascos. Here though, one seat sits permanently open. There are pictures everywhere.

In the back alley a young boy kicks a makeshift soccer ball that has felt a thousand kicks. It is barely held together by tape. There is no colorful Adidas prototype here. No fancy bright yellow jersey celebrating the seleção. There are no screams from the crowd; no pleading for just one more run before the whistle blows.

What is an acceptable cost to stage a World Cup? How many lives are we ok with losing as long as we can see Maradona pass on his beautiful legacy to Messi?

What about the legacy Hamilton da Cruz would have passed on to his kids? What about the other 6 World Cup stadium workers who have needlessly died during the construction of these stadiums?

The Christ the Redeemer statue looms tall over the Brazilian countryside. You wonder if he's happy with what he's seen recently.

The World Cup starts in Brazil tomorrow; it will be gone in less than a month.

Will it take the country's soul with it?
I'M BURNING

I tried to work this in but it wouldn't have made any sense in the context of that:

* I guess it's a good thing that Brazil has that Christ the Redeemer statue, because this World Cup sure has sent a lot of stadium workers up to meet him.

It's almost impossible to HotTake FIFA. You could adopt the fiery outrage of a 1000 suns and it would still feel like muted criticism.

I say this knowing full well I'm watching every game. SOMEBODY HOT TAKE MY HYPOCRISY!!!!

I didn't write this and it doesn't really fit Hot Sports Takes, but I was looking at mock NBA draft and somehow drifted into the comments and saw this one and I don't know where else to share it properly.

had you have lost your mind. I can't stop laughing. You have Kyle Anderson as the last pick in the draft. Based on being less athletic. He has the highest basketball IQ on the board he's 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan. Handles the ball better then another guard in the draft and makes better decisions. He can shoot the 3 and his mid range game is tremendous. He rebounds gets assist and gets to the free throw line. The only thing Wiggins does better then him is jump and is quicker defensively which doesn't equate to great.
For me Anderson vs. Wiggins is pretty much a toss up.

We could probably start a whole other thread with comment "hot takes", but it'd be too easy.

I miss that shark pool quotes thread.

I didn't write this and it doesn't really fit Hot Sports Takes, but I was looking at mock NBA draft and somehow drifted into the comments and saw this one and I don't know where else to share it properly.

had you have lost your mind. I can't stop laughing. You have Kyle Anderson as the last pick in the draft. Based on being less athletic. He has the highest basketball IQ on the board he's 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan. Handles the ball better then another guard in the draft and makes better decisions. He can shoot the 3 and his mid range game is tremendous. He rebounds gets assist and gets to the free throw line. The only thing Wiggins does better then him is jump and is quicker defensively which doesn't equate to great.
For me Anderson vs. Wiggins is pretty much a toss up.
Make it about an NFL player and it would fit right in the SP.

Kevin Love apparently just wants to win. Burns him and hurts his heart even.

That's news to me, because it hasn't shown up on the court.

Love fancies himself as franchise player. A franchise player that hasn't so much as brought a playoff appearance to the home fans. Love wants out when he should be apologizing to those loyal fans.

Coaching legend Flip Saunders agrees. "Why does any player have a right to be frustrated?" Saunders said on KFAN 101.3 in Minneapolis-St. Paul. "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Should the team be frustrated? Yeah, the team can be frustrated. But I don't think any one individual should be frustrated."

Stop me if you've heard this before.

An NBA franchise takes a chance on a kid. Entrusts their franchise in a kid's hands. Gives him every opportunity to succeed. Does what they can put a good team around him. Some moves work. Some don't. The team doesn't have as much success as it should. Instead of accepting responsibility to make it better, the player would just rather move on to greener pastures. He wants to go team up with established All-Stars somewhere else, and makes it well known.

Pathetic.

The Timberwolves franchise can't just pack up and leave to find a better situation (yet). What gives Love the right? He made this mess. He should help fix it.

Just who the hell does Love think he is? I can tell you what he's not. He's no Michael, Magic, Larry, or Kobe. Those guys had the heart of a champion. They knew what loyalty was all about. They knew about giving back to the franchise that gave them an opportunity to play in this great League. They weren't constantly trying to figure out an exit strategy. They were too busy working in the gym trying to get better. They had too much gratitude and appreciation for the organization and fanbase to do the public pissing and moaning routine.

He's no Kevin Garnett either. He was loyal for 12 years. He was too busy ripping off 50 win seasons to worry about greener pastures. He earned a right to complain. But he didn't. He was a champion.

Timberwolves fans deserve better. It's time for Saunders to send Love's ### packing. It's time to find a real champion to build around.

Kevin Love apparently just wants to win. Burns him and hurts his heart even.

That's news to me, because it hasn't shown up on the court.

Love fancies himself as franchise player. A franchise player that hasn't so much as brought a playoff appearance to the home fans. Love wants out when he should be apologizing to those loyal fans.

Coaching legend Flip Saunders agrees. "Why does any player have a right to be frustrated?" Saunders said on KFAN 101.3 in Minneapolis-St. Paul. "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Should the team be frustrated? Yeah, the team can be frustrated. But I don't think any one individual should be frustrated."

Stop me if you've heard this before.

An NBA franchise takes a chance on a kid. Entrusts their franchise in a kid's hands. Gives him every opportunity to succeed. Does what they can put a good team around him. Some moves work. Some don't. The team doesn't have as much success as it should. Instead of accepting responsibility to make it better, the player would just rather move on to greener pastures. He wants to go team up with established All-Stars somewhere else, and makes it well known.

Pathetic.

The Timberwolves franchise can't just pack up and leave to find a better situation (yet). What gives Love the right? He made this mess. He should help fix it.

Just who the hell does Love think he is? I can tell you what he's not. He's no Michael, Magic, Larry, or Kobe. Those guys had the heart of a champion. They knew what loyalty was all about. They knew about giving back to the franchise that gave them an opportunity to play in this great League. They weren't constantly trying to figure out an exit strategy. They were too busy working in the gym trying to get better. They had too much gratitude and appreciation for the organization and fanbase to do the public pissing and moaning routine.

He's no Kevin Garnett either. He was loyal for 12 years. He was too busy ripping off 50 win seasons to worry about greener pastures. He earned a right to complain. But he didn't. He was a champion.

Timberwolves fans deserve better. It's time for Saunders to send Love's ### packing. It's time to find a real champion to build around.
i Take es muy caliente, aye carumba !

Call me crazy but in a sport were your only allowed to use your feet to score why hasnt the US hired Rex Ryan to be all-time head coach?

:lmao:

OK, which one of you is Boston Globe columnist Christopher Gasper, and why are you stealing my HotTakes for your column today?

Some of you are probably still smoldering from the conflagration about Jurgen Klinsman's defeatism that I touched off on D-Day with this opening salvo:

Seventy years ago, when faced with a seemingly impossible task against an overwhelming adversary, did Dwight Eisenhower make excuses? Did he surrender before the fight even began? Or did he outline a bold vision that inspired his men to achieve more than they thought possible? And in the process change the world.

I’ll let Ike give the answer in his own timeless words, from the Order of the Day he issued to launch the D-Day invasion:

“We will accept nothing less than full victory.”
Gasper obviously is, since he stole it in today's paper.

My Take

Compare that to the cowardly utterings of Jurgen Klinsman, ironically a German
His Take

With Klinsman’s blunt assessment of the United States’ chances in the World Cup, he has revealed himself to be indelibly German.
NOTE: Even in his thievery, Gasper couldn't stand the heat and had to tone down "cowardly utterings"

My Take

What kind of words would an American coach offer to an American team before they began an international competition against impossible odds? I think Herb Brooks could offer some insight:

“Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over.”
His Take

Can you imagine the late Herb Brooks, coach of the gold medal-winning US men’s hockey team, carrying this attitude into the 1980 Winter Olympics? Do you believe in miracles? Nein, if you’re Klinsmann.
Note: Clever use of the German vernacular here, but as I'll demonstrate below, that too was thievery.

My Take

This is why soccer rightfully will never catch on in America. Because an American coach coaching an American team playing an American sport would never admit defeat before the game even begins.

Auf wiedersehen, Herr Klinsman. I’ll start caring about U.S. soccer when our so-called national team starts demonstrating our American ideals.
His Take

[SIZE=12pt]This is simply not the American way, conceding ultimate defeat before the competition has begun. It’s not how we play sports or follow them. America espouses — but doesn’t always live up to — the ideals of meritocracy, upward mobility, and self-determination.[/SIZE]
NOTE: OK, this is just straight plagiarism.

The_Man, on 13 Jun 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:OK, which one of you is Boston Globe columnist Christopher Gasper, and why are you stealing my HotTakes for your column today?

Some of you are probably still smoldering from the conflagration about Jurgen Klinsman's defeatism that I touched off on D-Day with this opening salvo:

The_Man, on 06 Jun 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:Seventy years ago, when faced with a seemingly impossible task against an overwhelming adversary, did Dwight Eisenhower make excuses? Did he surrender before the fight even began? Or did he outline a bold vision that inspired his men to achieve more than they thought possible? And in the process change the world.

I’ll let Ike give the answer in his own timeless words, from the Order of the Day he issued to launch the D-Day invasion:

“We will accept nothing less than full victory.”
Gasper obviously is, since he stole it in today's paper.

My Take

QuoteCompare that to the cowardly utterings of Jurgen Klinsman, ironically a German
His Take

QuoteWith Klinsman’s blunt assessment of the United States’ chances in the World Cup, he has revealed himself to be indelibly German.
NOTE: Even in his thievery, Gasper couldn't stand the heat and had to tone down "cowardly utterings"

My Take

QuoteWhat kind of words would an American coach offer to an American team before they began an international competition against impossible odds? I think Herb Brooks could offer some insight:

“Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over.”
His Take

QuoteCan you imagine the late Herb Brooks, coach of the gold medal-winning US men’s hockey team, carrying this attitude into the 1980 Winter Olympics? Do you believe in miracles? Nein, if you’re Klinsmann.
Note: Clever use of the German vernacular here, but as I'll demonstrate below, that too was thievery.

My Take

QuoteThis is why soccer rightfully will never catch on in America. Because an American coach coaching an American team playing an American sport would never admit defeat before the game even begins.

Auf wiedersehen, Herr Klinsman. I’ll start caring about U.S. soccer when our so-called national team starts demonstrating our American ideals.
His Take

Quote[SIZE=12pt]This is simply not the American way, conceding ultimate defeat before the competition has begun. It’s not how we play sports or follow them. America espouses — but doesn’t always live up to — the ideals of meritocracy, upward mobility, and self-determination.[/SIZE]
NOTE: OK, this is just straight plagiarism.
If this is true, it's one of the most awesome things I've ever seen on FBG. Please update.

That guy does have 24,000 twitter followers.

If I know twitter like I think I do, 22,000 of those followers probably hate him and just want to troll him.

Championship Rings. The end all be all of sports. Rings is why Dan Marino can not be the best QB ever and someone could argue Dilfer is better. Not me, but Rings are the goal right?

And here we are on the verge of the the Miami LeBrons losing to the Spurs in the NBA Finals and all people can talk about is Lebron and his legacy. How many rings will he end up with? Will he catch Kobe? Will he catch MJ? How can he be the greatest player of all time if he doesnt have as many rings as these guys? Tim Duncan is about to get his 5th yet he's never even brought up in the great MJ vs the latest for GOAT.

Whats that you say? MJ is only tied for 10th in total rings? And Wade (3) has more rings then LeBron (2)?!?! So Robert Horry (7) must be greater then MJ (6) and Kobe (5)! Robert Horry?!

But Rings are what determine individual greatness in the world of team sports! If you don't got em, you cant be considered. Unless you have too many or played too long ago. Then they dont count. Sorry Bill Russell.

Users who are viewing this thread