What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HOT SPORTS TAKES - A man who won't stand for the anthem is an act that we as Americans shouldn't stand for (1 Viewer)

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

I doubt Lebron James was thinking of legendary rock group Pink Floyd and one of their most memorable tunes
Maybe he was thinking about the song Hello, Goodbye by the Rolling Stones.

It’s been tough finding guys to root for this NBA playoffs.

One of the more controversial figures has been Lance Stephenson, a talented, but troubled player once arrested for sexual assualt and once arrested for pushing his girlfriend down the stairs. You try watching a game and having to explain that to your young son, let alone Stephenson’s childish antics as his team went down in flames.

Of course, everyone knows of Lebron James, his me-first attitude and how he sulks and disappears when things don’t go his way. Did Michael Jordan lose in such an invisible fashion? I think not. Despite his immense talent, he’s still not someone for my young son to emulate.

Even the Big Fundamental, Tim Duncan, with his stellar, selfless play, whines like a baby on every. single. call. that doesn’t go his way. His eyes bug out like his head has been filled with helium. Manu Ginobili cowers in fear of Duncan’s brain exploding all over him.

Yes, these NBA players sure do have trouble playing through these ups and downs. But there is one player who we can all root for, who has no trouble playing through the down’s: Kevin Grow

Grow is an 18-year-old basketball player from Bensalem, PA. In February, he entered the game against fearsome Neshaminy High and promptly drained 4 three-pointers to close out a 64-40 thrashing of the Redskins. (As an aside, this is a despicable nickname for a sports team, and I promise to address this in a future column.)

In his triumph, Grow remained humble and continued his duties as team manager. He was subsequently rewarded with a 2-day contract from the Sixers. Was this some new advanced gambit from Sam Hinkie’s analytics geeks? No, what Grow has can never be quantified: HEART.

In March, Grow received a contract from the legendary Harlem Globetrotters, making him only the second player ever to play for both the Sixers and the Globetrotters. The other? Just a little fellow named Wilt Chamberlain. They say Chamberlain died of an enlarged heart, but I sincerely doubt he could compete with the size of Grow’s.

So take heed basketball players from the lowest levels through the professional ranks. The world could use more Kevin Grows, unconcerned about endorsements, stats, or fame. He plays for one thing, and one thing along: THE LOVE OF THE GAME.

And that’s someone who I’d really like my son to grow up to be like.

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

I doubt Lebron James was thinking of legendary rock group Pink Floyd and one of their most memorable tunes as the black and silver confetti rained down on him last night at the AT&T Center, but I was. We may have seen the end...the end of a remarkable run and a mini-dynasty.

Because I think Lebron is going back home. Back to Cleveland.

Bring the Boys Back Home

Home was never even really Miami anyways for Lebron. He was always a hired gun; always the transplant from up north brought down south to buy a title. He was never drafted by the Heat and was never the homegrown star like the Akron boy was for his Cavaliers.

But now Lebron has an opportunity to make it right. To erase the poor memories of The Decision and help rebuild the franchise he tore down. The Cavs have spent the past few years putting a new roster together; "The Last Few Bricks" you might even say in order to draw Lebron back. Now it's time for him to do his part and return home like the prodigal son he is l.

New Machine Part 2

Lebron fancies himself the 'king' but this team built around him in Miami is better built for a jester. Wade can no longer jump or shoot, Bosh is too skinny, Allen is ready to retire and the rest of the team is terrible. Norris Cole? More like Norris Can't.

Lebron's return to Cleveland will surround him with young talent like Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson and the #1 pick they will select in two weeks. Way better than the situation he is leaving in Miami.

Love Me Two Times

Some will question whether the fans of Cleveland even want Lebron back. I have even asked myself that very question numerous times, even last night as he meekly sat on the bench watching his team's season end.

But you can't win in the NBA without a few stars. And Lebron had shown he can't win it all without a stud in his prime assisting him like Kyrie will. That's why he is coming back. That's why he is coming home.

He is returning to Cleveland as his time in Miami has worn itself out.

He is returning to Cleveland because he can't win games with the shell of Dwayne Wade being carried around.

And he is returning to Cleveland because Lebron has learned that you can't call yourself the king if you are ending every season as the prince.
Throw in an Anthony Bennett reference and this is perfect.

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

I doubt Lebron James was thinking of legendary rock group Pink Floyd and one of their most memorable tunes as the black and silver confetti rained down on him last night at the AT&T Center, but I was. We may have seen the end...the end of a remarkable run and a mini-dynasty.

Bring the Boys Back Home

Home was never even really Miami anyways for Lebron. He was always a hired gun; always the transplant from up north brought down south to buy a title. He was never drafted by the Heat and was never the homegrown star like the Akron boy was for his Cavaliers.

But now Lebron has an opportunity to make it right. To erase the poor memories of The Decision and help rebuild the franchise he tore down. The Cavs have spent the past few years putting a new roster together; "The Last Few Bricks" you might even say in order to draw Lebron back. Now it's time for him to do his part and return home like the prodigal son he is l.

New Machine Part 2

Lebron fancies himself the 'king' but this team built around him in Miami is better built for a jester. Wade can no longer jump or shoot, Bosh is too skinny, Allen is ready to retire and the rest of the team is terrible. Norris Cole? More like Norris Can't.

Lebron's return to Cleveland will surround him with young talent like Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson and the #1 pick they will select in two weeks. Way better than the situation he is leaving in Miami.

Love Me Two Times

Some will question whether the fans of Cleveland even want Lebron back. I have even asked myself that very question numerous times, even last night as he meekly sat on the bench watching his team's season end.

But you can't win in the NBA without a few stars. And Lebron had shown he can't win it all without a stud in his prime assisting him like Kyrie will. That's why he is coming back. That's why he is coming home.

He is returning to Cleveland because he can't win games with the shell of Dwayne Wade being carried around.

And he is returning to Cleveland because Lebron has learned that you can't call yourself the king if you are ending every season as the prince.
:thumbup: I was hoping somebody would notice my mixing up the Doors and Floyd songs like it seems every one of these type articles has, but it is a pretty vague/old thing to reference.

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

Bring the Boys Back Home

New Machine Part 2

Love Me Two Times

:thumbup: I was hoping somebody would notice my mixing up the Doors and Floyd songs like it seems every one of these type articles has, but it is a pretty vague/old thing to reference.
We noticed, but who is Bennett?

eta* Never mind. Looked him up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant is throwing down some passive aggressive heaters in the WC thread.

Joe Bryant said:
shader said:
NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:
Any word on Altidore? He is pretty much done?
They said during the game they would have to scan him tomorrow.

The way he went down it looked like a tear :(
I'm a football guy, and when I see a play like that, I immediately think 2 weeks minimum. Which puts him out for the next two games, best case scenario.

I don't thjnk we will see him again in the World Cup. :(
He rode off on a stretcher. He'd better be out two weeks.

J

Joe Bryant said:
shader said:
NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:
They said during the game they would have to scan him tomorrow.The way he went down it looked like a tear :(
I'm a football guy, and when I see a play like that, I immediately think 2 weeks minimum. Which puts him out for the next two games, best case scenario.I don't thjnk we will see him again in the World Cup. :(

J
Kane rode off on a stretcher last night but will be back next go around

Joe Bryant said:
shader said:
NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:
They said during the game they would have to scan him tomorrow.The way he went down it looked like a tear :(
I'm a football guy, and when I see a play like that, I immediately think 2 weeks minimum. Which puts him out for the next two games, best case scenario.

I don't thjnk we will see him again in the World Cup. :(

J
I'm sure it'll make his next FBG off-season update.

I didn't want to start another thread about this, so this seemed as good a spot as any...

Has anyone seen The Sports Reporters on ESPN lately? Even when it's not HSTs, it seems old and dated and just kind of sad.

I didn't want to start another thread about this, so this seemed as good a spot as any...

Has anyone seen The Sports Reporters on ESPN lately? Even when it's not HSTs, it seems old and dated and just kind of sad.
Making it to TSR means you've truly made it as a Hot Sports Taker.

That show's been bringing timeless wisdom for decades now.

Molten:
Soccer takes away our hands. This makes the game incredibly skillful and exhausting, but also robs fans of much of the beauty of sport. Hands and opposable thumbs separate us from creatures of the wild. Most of the memorable plays in sports are accomplished with hands. How would we have even known the athletic greatness of Pedro Martinez, Larry Bird, Bobby Orr or Tom Brady if they could not have used their hands? Soccer takes our hands out of the game.

An open letter to Lebron James

So you announced today that you are opting out of your contract with the Miami Heat, leaving sports fans in every neighborhood here to wonder where your next "home" will be.

Well let me make it easy for you Lebron. Don't bother making your home here. Miami doesn't need you.

What more could you have wanted? Money? Oh you got that, in spades. A great team around you to finally carry you to a title? Absolutely. Pat Riley surrounded you with Hall of Famers and superb role players and you finally broke through to win two championships.

Of course, you really should consider having Ray Allen's name inscribed on that 2013 ring of yours.

That said, you gained all of those things as well as respect during your four years in Miami.

But instead of giving thanks, you are now giving notice.

Now I know why Dan Gilbert went on that Comic Sans fueled rant in 2010. He thought he had done enough to inspire loyalty from you. Clearly Pat Riley believes that he is owed the same from you although it appears you once again don't reciprocate.

Luckily Riles probably doesn't know what comic sans is although he is too much of a man to stab someone in the back like that.

Of course you don't know how that feels. You don't know how it feels to be a man, to have some courage and to repay those who laid the golden road down for you to walk on. You probably think you did this all yourself Lebron but you didn't. This franchise won titles before you and will win them after you.

But you won't be around to see any of that. Because as you have demonstrated today, you can opt out of your contract but apparently you can't opt in to having any heart.

An open letter to Lebron James

So you announced today that you are opting out of your contract with the Miami Heat, leaving sports fans in every neighborhood here to wonder where your next "home" will be.

Well let me make it easy for you Lebron. Don't bother making your home here. Miami doesn't need you.

What more could you have wanted? Money? Oh you got that, in spades. A great team around you to finally carry you to a title? Absolutely. Pat Riley surrounded you with Hall of Famers and superb role players and you finally broke through to win two championships.

Of course, you really should consider having Ray Allen's name inscribed on that 2013 ring of yours.

That said, you gained all of those things as well as respect during your four years in Miami.

But instead of giving thanks, you are now giving notice.

Now I know why Dan Gilbert went on that Comic Sans fueled rant in 2010. He thought he had done enough to inspire loyalty from you. Clearly Pat Riley believes that he is owed the same from you although it appears you once again don't reciprocate.

Luckily Riles probably doesn't know what comic sans is although he is too much of a man to stab someone in the back like that.

Of course you don't know how that feels. You don't know how it feels to be a man, to have some courage and to repay those who laid the golden road down for you to walk on. You probably think you did this all yourself Lebron but you didn't. This franchise won titles before you and will win them after you.

But you won't be around to see any of that. Because as you have demonstrated today, you can opt out of your contract but apparently you can't opt in to having any heart.
You left out turning your back on the Miami Mafia

MY COLUMN:

The NBA Finals start tomorrow night, which means it's another opportunity for Lebron James to shine on the biggest stage.

Chances are though, it'll be somebody else doing the shining.

But this is why Lebron ran from being the local hero to the team with all the talent right? So he didn't have to do the heavy lifting? When the chips were down and the Heat were almost eliminated last year, who hit the big shot that tied game 6? Lebron? No of course not...that would be Ray Allen.

This happens all too frequently, which is something I am sure to bring up anytime somebody compares Lebron to Jordan. How many times did somebody else other than #23 hit the big shot? Sure we all remember Steve Kerr hitting that dagger 3, but who set that up?

That's right, Michael Jordan did.

Have you ever seen Lebron bury a team's hopes in the Finals by himself like Jordan did to Utah? Have you ever seen Lebron hit a string of 3s in a row and then shrug to the broadcast booth? Have you ever seen Lebron carry a team to a victory in the Finals while he had the flu?

I don't think so. Lebron would make excuses while Michael makes SHOTS.

And that my friends is the difference. Lebron is a facilitator for others while Jordan would get it done himself. You might wonder why I care, as long as their team wins.

But when the chips are down and a shot needs to be made, I want a guy who will actually take it instead of passing it.
Kiszla: LeBron can play but King Tim Duncan has a ring (or five) to it

By Mark Kiszla The Denver Post

Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 1:30 a.m.

LeBron James' decision about which team he'll play for next has seemingly become more important than all other concerns in the NBA. ( Alan Diaz, The Associated Press )

The NBA has a problem. His name is LeBron James.

The league has sold its soul to the cult of King James.

Remember when what happened on the court actually mattered in the NBA? Heck, you must be old, not to mention hopelessly out of touch.

These days, the only thing that really counts in the NBA is the courtship of the King. The wooing of James got so ridiculous, so fast, it even made 69-year-old Pat Riley look as desperate as a nerd begging for a date to the middle school dance.

James is either going back to Cleveland. Or he isn't. Next on "SportsCenter"!

Advertisement

Why is a silly little Twitter war about where James might play during the 2014-15 season far more nettlesome problem for the NBA than the fact cranky Donald Sterling won't agree to sell the Los Angeles Clippers without a very public spat with his wife?

Well, the San Antonio Spurs won their fifth championship of the Tim Duncan era with some of the most beautiful basketball ever seen. But that's trivial stuff. The real news is: Have you downloaded the LeBron app to your smart phone yet?

While the world of social media spins out of control 24/7, one truth regarding sports remains the same, forever and always: It's all about the scoreboard, baby. When that ceases to be the case, we might as well be watching Miley Cyrus twerk.

King James has no clothes. And the NBA has been exposed as little more than his prop.

Oh, James is an impact player. Heck, Nuggets president Josh Kroenke would give up half his inheritance and move the franchise to Akron, Ohio, if the King agreed to play alongside Ty Lawson.

To be sure, the two NBA championships won by James are nothing to sniff at. That gives the King one more ring than Dirk Nowitzki. And one ring fewer than Brian Shaw earned as a player.

But who's counting?

Everybody in the league puts life on hold for LeBron.

The King builds teams as he sees fit. He doesn't need no stinking title of general manager.

Hey, Houston Rockets, do you mind if free agent forward Chris Bosh puts you and your piddling $88 million offer on hold until James tells him it's OK what to do?

Think the winter is bad in Minneapolis? Wait until you check out the unbearable case of inferiority complex the Timberwolves would acquire if Kevin Love forsakes them for Cleveland, all because James snapped his fingers.

It used to be cute when Carmelo Anthony took orders from his wife before making a basketball decision. Now, like some jealous little kid, Melo is afraid to announce whether he's staying in New York or joining the Lakers in the same news cycle as Decision 2.0 by James.

James broke the hearts of Cleveland when he took his talents to South Beach in 2010. What he's doing now is making a mockery of the games, all the flyover franchises and NBA stars groveling to be LeBron's wingman.

I don't begrudge James his power. More power to him. James didn't write the rules of the collective bargaining agreement; he merely exploited them. But any league where the whim of one man is more important than the final score is dribbling down the wrong path.

The King is great. Anybody, however, who tells you James is as great as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson or Hall of Famers who relished competition instead of moving on to whatever's convenient fails to realize how hard a meaningful legacy is earned in sports.

James wins Twitter.

Duncan wins rings.

You tell me who the real king is.

Mark Kiszla: mkiszla@denverpost.com or twitter.com/markkiszla
:coffee:

Checkmate.

That's the sound King James taking the upper hand in the long game of NBA Legacy Chess. Oops, I forgot it's 2014, make that long match.[/]

This is a match that LeBron had long been losing, with absolutely no prayer of winning. "There will never be another Jordan". Anyone who ever watched Jordan play knows this. Has probably said this. Has tempered every attempt at praising LeBron James with that phrase.

It's crystal clear that you can't take down Jordan by going right at him.

On 7-11, LeBron flipped the script. He found a way to make 4 greater than 6. For all the "LeBron never...."s, guess what?

Jordan never came home (except to draft Adam Morrison).

Jordan never saved an entire economically and sports depressed region of the country.

Jordan was an unrelenting narcissist that never had a cause.

LeBron is saving an entire sadsack state.

LeBron is also making a bold stand for the current and future NBA players.

Owners are now bullying players into taking discounts so the owners can further line their own pockets. LeBron understands that it's his responsibility as the games best player to put the breaks on that right here and now.

Next time you see a superstar player finding the courage to accept what he's worth, you can thank LeBron James for that.

With the NBA owners clobbering the players in the latest CBA, they did serious damage to LeBron chances to of getting 6 rings.

Rings are nice, but Legacy matters more. You can put a ring in a box. Legacy is omnipresent and eternal.

Jordan's greatest achievement has always been the unequivocal "there will never be another" from loyal worshipers.

Welcome to the club, LeBron. There will never be another.

Checkmate.

That's the sound King James taking the upper hand in the long game of NBA Legacy Chess. Oops, I forgot it's 2014, make that long match.[/]

This is a match that LeBron had long been losing, with absolutely no prayer of winning. "There will never be another Jordan". Anyone who ever watched Jordan play knows this. Has probably said this. Has tempered every attempt at praising LeBron James with that phrase.

On 7-11, LeBron flipped the script. He found a way to make 4 greater than 6. For all the "LeBron never...."s, guess what?

Jordan never saved an entire economically and sports depressed region of the country.

Owners are now bullying players into taking discounts so the owners can further line their own pockets. LeBron understands that it's his responsibility as the games best player to put the breaks on that right here and now.

Next time you see a superstar player finding the courage to accept what he's worth, you can thank LeBron James for that.

With the NBA owners clobbering the players in the latest CBA, they did serious damage to LeBron chances to of getting 6 rings.

Rings are nice, but Legacy matters more. You can put a ring in a box. Legacy is omnipresent and eternal.

Jordan's greatest achievement has always been the unequivocal "there will never be another" from loyal worshipers.

Greatness is measured by NBA finals appearances now?

Checkmate.

On 7-11, LeBron flipped the script. H
e found a way to make 4 greater than 6. For all the "LeBron never...."s, guess what?

Transcendent minds understand that when you aren't the answer, you need to figure out a way to change the question.

(The 4 assumes LeBron gets a couple of titles in CLE though)

It's exactly like you wrote it Pollard. Either he brings a title to Cleveland or he spends his career trying to make the hometown folks happy and is held back by an awful organization. Cleveland is win/win for Lebron.

Checkmate.

Transcendent minds understand that when you aren't the answer, you need to figure out a way to change the question.(The 4 assumes LeBron gets a couple of titles in CLE though)
Why stop with just two in Cleveland?

First, Kissing Suzy Kolber is my all-time favorite blog title.

Also, the Ray Rice/Josh Gordon thing cries out for a HST that goes beyond the too-easy schtick.

Jen is a online celebrity and fitness model all do to the fact that shes got a butt that could launch a thousand ships. What Eminem and Elvis Presley did for rap music, Jen has done for monetizing her big ###. Shes a busnesswoman or as I call her- a entremanure. But it wasnt always this easy to make money off of guys pounding there hog to pictures of your butt.
:lmao: :lmao:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/07/white-history-month-jen-selter.html
"Pounding the hog" :lmao: :lmao:

Jen is a online celebrity and fitness model all do to the fact that shes got a butt that could launch a thousand ships. What Eminem and Elvis Presley did for rap music, Jen has done for monetizing her big ###. Shes a busnesswoman or as I call her- a entremanure. But it wasnt always this easy to make money off of guys pounding there hog to pictures of your butt.
:lmao: :lmao:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/07/white-history-month-jen-selter.html
"I even wrote a pome for her:

J-ewish Princess

E-lite butt

N-othin like a good butt IMO

S-exy

sE-exy

L-ove you

T-ights are good

E-rotic

R-uh-roh Ive got a boner"

:lmao: :cry: :lmao:

Going to need your mitts for this one:

http://deadspin.com/first-take-discusses-a-womans-responsibility-to-avoid-b-1610831462?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Tl;dw -- stephen a says women need to take responsibility and not provoke men into beating them.
There's some drama at the worldwide leader

Michelle Beadle@MichelleDBeadle

So I was just forced to watch this morning's First Take. A) I'll never feel clean again B) I'm now aware that I can provoke my own beating.

SAS just doubled down with an insane series of tweets. :lmao:

@bruce_arthur: Speaking of which, oh hey, @stephenasmith might keep tweeting right until an ESPN staffer breaks down the door and wrestles away his phone

@BMcCarthy32: hey @PFTCommenter I think Stephen a smith is stealing your shtick right now

@Lana: i quit RT @stephenasmith: But what about addressing women on how they can help prevent the obvious wrong being done upon them?

Going to need your mitts for this one:

http://deadspin.com/first-take-discusses-a-womans-responsibility-to-avoid-b-1610831462?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Tl;dw -- stephen a says women need to take responsibility and not provoke men into beating them.
Inception-quality levels of Hot Take from of a garden level Dan Shaughnessy HT column. SAS is doing a Al Pacino with a machine gun level of Nuclear Take. This will not end well.

Today is truly the day twitter exploded.

espn HAS to realize at this point that some of their people just are not qualified intellectually to discuss issues like this.

Today is truly the day twitter exploded.

espn HAS to realize at this point that some of their people just are not qualified intellectually to discuss issues like this.
I love how he takes like a dozen tweets to say THE EXACT SAME THING. I had to shut the door to my office because I don't think people would understand why I'm laughing.

now let's go to First Take for some thoughts on the Malaysian plane that got shot down

Stephen A: I'M NOT SAYING IT IS RIGHT TO SHOOT DOWN A PLANE. YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER SHOOT DOWN A PLANE. EVER. LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING IF ME AND MY BOYS KNEW YOU WAS ABOUT TO SHOOT DOWN A PLANE YOU WOULD BE DEALT WITH.

NOW HOLD ON. MAYBE NOT BY ME. I WORK FOR THE WORLDWIDE LEADER. BUT I WOULD CONTACT THE PROPER AUTH-OR-ATIES AND MAKE SURE THEY DEAL WITH IT.

BUT WHAT I AM SAYING HERE IS THAT WE AS A SOCIETY NEED TO START TAKING PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES. WHAT WERE YOU DOING GETTING ON A PLANE FLYING OVER THE UKRAINE ANYWAYS? YOU DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A WAR GOING ON?

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? THAT'S ALL I AM SAYING HERE SKIP. NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD BLOW UP THAT PLANE. I'M NOT SAYING THAT AT ALL. I AM THE SON OF A PILOT. THREE PILOTS ACTUALLY. JUST SAYING YOU MAYBE SHOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN ON THAT PLANE. THAT'S IT.

Users who are viewing this thread